PDA

View Full Version : Craig Anderson - words fail me

MacGruber
27-08-2018, 02:03 PM
Extract from Scotsman:-

Craig Anderson, former fully qualified referee, recalled a fixture between Hibs and St Johnstone in March, when Lennon fumed that Blair Alston should have been shown a red card for a cynical tackle on John McGinn as the Hibs midfielder broke free.

He said: “In that case, a yellow was sufficient because it was more of a trip, but this one was much worse. Porteous put his studs right into the back of Mackay-Steven’s leg, and made absolutely no attempt to play the ball. It should have been a red card.”

Porteous was then fortunate to stay on the pitch for his reaction to Mackay-Steven’s confrontational approach, the Aberdeen player deserving of his yellow card.

“The reaction from Porteous was even more ludicrous than the tackle,” Anderson explained. “Mackay-Steven stands up and confronts him, but makes no further movement towards him, and there was absolutely nothing which merited the defender collapsing to a heap.

“The Laws of the Game have changed this season to clarify that if a player makes two separate yellow card offences in the same passage of play, then both yellow cards should be given.

“Therefore, even if the referee felt the original challenge was only a yellow, he should really have given a second yellow for the dive. Mackay-Steven’s yellow card was reasonable given that he adopted an aggressive attitude when confronting Porteous.

No attempt to play the ball when comparing it to Alston. Language like collapsing in a heap. This Craig Anderson isn't for real surely

500miles
27-08-2018, 02:10 PM
Porteous took the heid straight on the chin. Burst his lip. I look forward to the apology.

Callum_62
27-08-2018, 02:10 PM
Gotta be trying to get clicks surely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
27-08-2018, 02:12 PM
A 'former' fully qualified referee? What's the Masonic ******* doing with himself now then?:lips seal

Alan62
27-08-2018, 02:15 PM
Click bait.

Also if two yellow cards are to be given to the same player when a passage of play has two yellow card meriting incidents in it, then Aberdeen's Graeme Shinnie should have had one for the kick at Boyle and one for dissent late in the game.

GordonHFC
27-08-2018, 02:16 PM
A former fully qualified referee tells you all you need to know.

BILLYHIBS
27-08-2018, 02:18 PM
Alston Red ( last man)

GMS Red ( retaliation)

Carheenlea
27-08-2018, 02:21 PM
Who exactly is this Craig Anderson roaster?

Chorley Hibee
27-08-2018, 02:28 PM
Well if that extract doesn't sum up the ineptitude of our professional referees then nothing will.

Sergio sledge
27-08-2018, 02:37 PM
I find it crazy how differently people can see the same incident.

In the footage I saw, Porteous made a cynical trip on GMS, "..studs right into the back of Mackay-Steven's leg.." where does he see this from?

I sort of agree with him on Porteous's reaction, GMS did stand up to confront Porteous and made contact with his head on Porteous's chin as well as contact into his chest. However I think Porteous milked it a bit to try to take away from the cynical trip on GMS. I don't think that it was a deliberate attempt by GMS to head butt Porteous, just happened that they were too close together when he stood up.

To be honest I think a yellow card each was about right in this situation.

neil7908
27-08-2018, 02:40 PM
The tackle by Porteous was poor. A definite yellow and not far from a red but his reaction to Mackay-Steven was what I'd expect from someone who's just been headbutted on the mouth.

Bostonhibby
27-08-2018, 02:46 PM

Craig Anderson, former fully qualified referee, recalled a fixture between Hibs and St Johnstone in March, when Lennon fumed that Blair Alston should have been shown a red card for a cynical tackle on John McGinn as the Hibs midfielder broke free.

He said: “In that case, a yellow was sufficient because it was more of a trip, but this one was much worse. Porteous put his studs right into the back of Mackay-Steven’s leg, and made absolutely no attempt to play the ball. It should have been a red card.”

Porteous was then fortunate to stay on the pitch for his reaction to Mackay-Steven’s confrontational approach, the Aberdeen player deserving of his yellow card.

“The reaction from Porteous was even more ludicrous than the tackle,” Anderson explained. “Mackay-Steven stands up and confronts him, but makes no further movement towards him, and there was absolutely nothing which merited the defender collapsing to a heap.

“The Laws of the Game have changed this season to clarify that if a player makes two separate yellow card offences in the same passage of play, then both yellow cards should be given.

“Therefore, even if the referee felt the original challenge was only a yellow, he should really have given a second yellow for the dive. Mackay-Steven’s yellow card was reasonable given that he adopted an aggressive attitude when confronting Porteous.

No attempt to play the ball when comparing it to Alston. Language like collapsing in a heap. This Craig Anderson isn't for real surelyFormer fully qualified referee with a tendency towards all things formerly,now defunct Glasgow rangers perchance?

Either way it's a further indication of why Scottish refereeing standards were shown to be incompetent at best when the Maltese officials showed them how it's done!

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

grammyb111
27-08-2018, 02:49 PM
Former fully qualified referee with a tendency towards all things formerly,now defunct Glasgow rangers perchance?

Either way it's a further indication of why Scottish refereeing standards were shown to be incompetent at best when the Maltese officials showed them how it's done!

He's a Kilmarnock fan. Regular on the Terrace podcast, just a young (early 30's maybe) guy.

Bostonhibby
27-08-2018, 02:53 PM
He's a Kilmarnock fan. Regular on the Terrace podcast, just a young (early 30's maybe) guy.Cheers

That clinches it for me[emoji6]

Iggy Pope
27-08-2018, 02:55 PM
He's a Kilmarnock fan. Regular on the Terrace podcast, just a young (early 30's maybe) guy.

Ah. Same thing then :greengrin
Early 30s and already a 'former' fully qualified referee? Does that just mean he was not much cop and never made Grade 1?

matty_f
27-08-2018, 02:57 PM
Gotta be trying to get clicks surely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can only assume that's the case, trying to generate a bit of interest with bizarre views.

The Harp
27-08-2018, 02:59 PM
More Hans Christian Andersen than Craig Anderson.
His version of events is pathetic.

Heckys Wheel
27-08-2018, 03:00 PM
Can only assume that's the case, trying to generate a bit of interest with bizarre views.

I’ve heard this guy on the terrace podcast. As big a slaver as the rest of them. Looks like click bate in this instance.

grammyb111
27-08-2018, 03:01 PM
I actually think a booking a piece was about right for that incident. Porteous tackle was a shocker, no attempt to play the ball. Probably by the letter a booking but couldn't really complain if it was red. I think he also made the most of the 'headbutt', which I agree that some referees would have given a red for. Dallas had a poor game, but he wasn't just poor against Hibs...

kaimendhibs
27-08-2018, 03:02 PM
Craig who?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

hibbyfraelibby
27-08-2018, 03:04 PM
Ah. Same thing then :greengrin
Early 30s and already a 'former' fully qualified referee? Does that just mean he was not much cop and never made Grade 1?

Never made grade 3

Iggy Pope
27-08-2018, 03:08 PM
Never made grade 3

Fully qualified then but just crap at it?

SingaporeHibs
27-08-2018, 03:17 PM
What a muppet. Porteous brought GMS down before he reached the box, he knew exactly what he was doing and was well worth the yellow card. He took one for the team, a bit like Mallan had done before him although that was in the middle of the park. What followed was a straight red card imo. GMS got up, his head going straight onto Porteous’s chin, there was no secondary motion but his movement was straight onto him from below, considering Porteous was moving in that direction added to the collision but it was intentional and was a red card 9 times out of 10.

Deansy
27-08-2018, 03:40 PM
He's maybe hoping Jabba sees some of his stuff in the hope of him joining that merry band of 'Statementeers' - a quick look at some of his previous 'opinions' (slavers) gives substance to this theory !

Beefster
27-08-2018, 03:45 PM
I actually think a booking a piece was about right for that incident. Porteous tackle was a shocker, no attempt to play the ball. Probably by the letter a booking but couldn't really complain if it was red. I think he also made the most of the 'headbutt', which I agree that some referees would have given a red for. Dallas had a poor game, but he wasn't just poor against Hibs...

I don’t think Porteous was making anything of it. A guy getting to his feet battered him, accidentally or otherwise, in the mouth/chin with his head. I know from experience that it hurts like **** initially, at least.

The Green Goblin
27-08-2018, 04:10 PM
Funny, I remember Alston deliberately kicking out at McGinn across his legs from behind, not “tripping” him. Lennon was right: red card.

JimBHibees
27-08-2018, 04:11 PM
Funny, I remember Alston deliberately kicking out at McGinn across his legs from behind, not “tripping” him. Lennon was right: red card.

Certainly wasnt a trip was a full blooded kick meant to injure.

lord bunberry
27-08-2018, 04:13 PM
I don’t think Porteous was making anything of it. A guy getting to his feet battered him, accidentally or otherwise, in the mouth/chin with his head. I know from experience that it hurts like **** initially, at least.
:agree: It knocked him down. He didn’t make a meal of it, he got up and ran back into the box. I can guarantee if it had been the othe way around GMS would’ve been rolling around like he’d been shot. I noticed they were cuddling each other after the whistle had gone for full time.

HIBERNIAN-0762
27-08-2018, 04:16 PM
Obviously sticking up for his lodge pal. Fanny

basehibby
27-08-2018, 04:25 PM

No attempt to play the ball when comparing it to Alston. Language like collapsing in a heap. This Craig Anderson isn't for real surely

Little wonder we are always shaking our heads at the hopelessness of refereeing displays if this cretin was once qualified to referee senior games. Absolute roaster with obvious anti-Hibs bias going from that chat. Porteous quite obviously receives MS's forehead in his coupon and does not make a meal of it in the slightest.

That said his tackle was horrendous if not quite a straight red.

Centre Hawf
27-08-2018, 04:32 PM
I’ve heard this guy on the terrace podcast. As big a slaver as the rest of them. Looks like click bate in this instance.

Agreed. I listened to it for a couple of weeks way back a few years ago and couldn't be bothered with it any more. Total slavers. Craig Fowler and the gang of chums at the Scotsman have turned their online sports desk into a poor attempt at a FourFourTwo meets SportBible. "5 things we learned" "5 things you should know about X's new signing". Can't be hooped with any of it and avoid it at all costs.

wookie70
27-08-2018, 04:39 PM
I think Porteous could have been given a red. There was absolutely no attempt to play the ball and he got GMS from behind. Similarly I think GMS should have seen red and I can't see anything wrong with Porteous' reaction. Saying that given there was only a minute or two left I was happy enough with two yellows.

LustForLeith
27-08-2018, 04:46 PM
So can GMS be charged for The incident?

And is it right that Scottish referees don’t need to explain decisions that they make?

I’m going to sound paranoid but I’ve seen some brutal decisions against Hibs in the last few seasons.

Centre Hawf
27-08-2018, 04:48 PM
So can GMS be charged for The incident?

And is it right that Scottish referees don’t need to explain decisions that they make?

I’m going to sound paranoid but I’ve seen some brutal decisions against Hibs in the last few seasons.

No. GMS was booked so unless he was booked for something different then it can't be revisited. Tbh even if it wasn't mentioned in the referee's report I don't see the new compliance officer chucking themselves into the deep end so quickly. They were only announced about a week ago. Will probably wait for Porteous or Bartley to tackle someone and win the ball before giving anything retrospectively.

LustForLeith
27-08-2018, 04:53 PM
No. GMS was booked so unless he was booked for something different then it can't be revisited. Tbh even if it wasn't mentioned in the referee's report I don't see the new compliance officer chucking themselves into the deep end so quickly. They were only announced about a week ago. Will probably wait for Porteous or Bartley to tackle someone and win the ball before giving anything retrospectively.

Again, going against my nature but there was a point where Bartley seemed to give away a foul/get a booking/get a red card for doing nothing.

Jack Hackett
27-08-2018, 04:58 PM
:agree: It knocked him down. He didn’t make a meal of it, he got up and ran back into the box. I can guarantee if it had been the othe way around GMS would’ve been rolling around like he’d been shot. I noticed they were cuddling each other after the whistle had gone for full time.

I'd also add that if someone had just put their studs into the back of my leg, I wouldn't be jumping up in the manner he did.

telford hibbee
27-08-2018, 05:15 PM
Little wonder we are always shaking our heads at the hopelessness of refereeing displays if this cretin was once qualified to referee senior games. Absolute roaster with obvious anti-Hibs bias going from that chat. Porteous quite obviously receives MS's forehead in his coupon and does not make a meal of it in the slightest.

That said his tackle was horrendous if not quite a straight red.
Was it any worse than the two on Boyle when he was heading into their box. I expected the Aberdeen player to be sent off for the second one and porteous should have walked also.

Danderhall Hibs
27-08-2018, 05:17 PM
Mental. I listen to the Terrace and they are gob *****s who love the sound of their own voices but to go into print with this is incredible.

Is he a journalist? Writing crap like this affects his credibility.

Smartie
27-08-2018, 05:21 PM
Was it any worse than the two on Boyle when he was heading into their box. I expected the Aberdeen player to be sent off for the second one and porteous should have walked also.

I've not seen any of it again but I thought the ref got all of the yellow card deliberate fouls correct - the 2 on Boyle, Mallan's one and also Porteous'.

My instinct was that you cannot do what GMS did and that it was a red card, but with that Morelos one being overturned, I think any form of retaliation is now fair game.

Which might be worth bearing in mind.

matty_f
27-08-2018, 05:23 PM
Mental. I listen to the Terrace and they are gob *****s who live the sound of their own voices but to go into print with this is incredible.

Is he a journalist? Writing crap like this affects his credibility.

I gave up on the Terrace, it had its moments (the description of Kenny Miller looking like someone had pulled a condom over a skull was very funny) but mostly it sounds like you're listening to a few teenagers having a self-indulgent jerk-off-fest.

Keith_M
27-08-2018, 05:32 PM
The incident was directly in front of section 2, where I was sitting, and there was certainly no play acting by Porteous, because Mackay-Steven really did headbutt him quite forcefully.

Anybody that says differently is deluded.

Stantons Angel
27-08-2018, 05:45 PM
The tackle by Porteous was poor. A definite yellow and not far from a red but his reaction to Mackay-Steven was what I'd expect from someone who's just been headbutted on the mouth.

Thats exactly as i seen it!

The wee cretin was fouled, i will give him that, but he is such a wee gnaff he could only reach Porteous's chin and the outcome was a burst lip from the attempted head butt!

This idiot writing in the newspaper is described as a former referee, and no wonder its "FORMER" if thats his slant on things..

BTW Alston should have been sent off in the game mentioned!

MacGruber
27-08-2018, 06:53 PM
It's not that I think it wasn't a bad foul by Porteous it was. It was cynical and clearly just playing the man late. It was a yellow and wouldn't have argued against it being red. But how can he say the Alston one wasnt just as cynical and late which caught SJM on the back of his leg! If anything the Alston one was a bit more cynical given it was even later than Porteous so much so it took a fairly impressive lunge to reach the man with the ball 5 yards further on.
GMS was lucky not to have seen red.

brog
27-08-2018, 07:33 PM
The foul by Porteous & the 2 on Boyle moments before were all virtually identical & were all correctly given a yellow card. It's strange that in his diatribe this guy didn't notice the 1st 2 fouls. I suspect this guy is a Killie fan in the same way that Chic Young & Jumbo Traynor are St M & Airdrie fans!

GreenArmyyy!
27-08-2018, 07:35 PM
The single worst piece of “journalism” I’ve seen since the Keith Jackson “all 11 Rangers players were attacked” nonsense.

Utterly embarrassing article you’d expect from a tabloid like the Daily Star.

WoreTheGreen
27-08-2018, 07:52 PM
Star a tabloid? That’s stretching it a bit

Inconsequential
27-08-2018, 08:15 PM
Is this Craig Anderson who is a BBC reporter for the Highlands? I never knew he was a former referee. :rolleyes:

The BBC don't like Hibs.

proud_and_green
27-08-2018, 08:35 PM
Agree with most of what has been said. I do think that Porteous needs to watch out, that's two fairly serious late tackles I've seen him make in a fairly short space of time both of which could easily have been reds. First in Molde, on the dugout touchline, and this one the other day. I think he's a cracking player with a lot of courage, but timing is everything. I fully understand the bit about taking one for the team, but if he gets a reputation he will start to get early cards and defenders can't defend so well if they are on a card.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
27-08-2018, 09:25 PM
The foul by Porteous & the 2 on Boyle moments before were all virtually identical & were all correctly given a yellow card. It's strange that in his diatribe this guy didn't notice the 1st 2 fouls. I suspect this guy is a Killie fan in the same way that Chic Young & Jumbo Traynor are St M & Airdrie fans!
Always thought Jumbo was a Hun? Is he not on their payroll?

I do remember him being an oldco Airdrieonians fan a lifetime ago but now seems to be part of The Rangers hierarchy. I might be wrong :dunno:

Stuart93
27-08-2018, 10:18 PM
Always thought Jumbo was a Hun? Is he not on their payroll?

I do remember him being an oldco Airdrieonians fan a lifetime ago but now seems to be part of The Rangers hierarchy. I might be wrong :dunno:

Right over your head that one

MWHIBBIES
27-08-2018, 10:35 PM
Alston Red ( last man)

GMS Red ( retaliation)

Alston wasn't ''last man'' and ''last man'' isn't a rule.

It was a red card for a shocking tackle but it wasn't a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Centre Hawf
28-08-2018, 06:02 AM
Is this Craig Anderson who is a BBC reporter for the Highlands? I never knew he was a former referee. :rolleyes:

The BBC don't like Hibs.

No. He’s a no mark stats guy for an amateur podcast that happens to have pals in the papers

BILLYHIBS
28-08-2018, 07:38 AM
Alston wasn't ''last man'' and ''last man'' isn't a rule.

It was a red card for a shocking tackle but it wasn't a clear goal scoring opportunity.
Was meant as a joke! Was just going on the limited information available on the thread when he said SJM bursted clear. Cannot even remember the incident. Just showing my Hibby bias :wink:

J-C
28-08-2018, 08:05 AM
Porteous took one for the team, a professional trip to stop GMS going in on goal, GMS jumped up angrily and confronted Porteous and in the process sticks his head onto his chin causing a cut lip, yellow for Porteous and red for GMS for retaliation.

J-C
28-08-2018, 08:11 AM
Was meant as a joke! Was just going on the limited information available on the thread when he said SJM bursted clear. Cannot even remember the incident. Just showing my Hibby bias :wink:

Can't remember something that was a main talking point in a crucial game last season?

It was on the half way line and McGinn went on one of his bursting runs in midfield, Alston cynically kicked his legs away from him and was about 4-5 feet away from the ball, straight red for dangerous and over aggressiveness in the tackle.

Danderhall Hibs
28-08-2018, 08:26 AM
I listened to the terrace this morning and all adamant it was a red and that Porteous shouldn’t play the hard man if he’s going to dive like Lafferty did that time against Aberdeen.

BILLYHIBS
28-08-2018, 08:41 AM
[QUOTE=Stuart93;5532172]Right over your head that one[/QUOTE
Aye Brog done me like a kipper again! :wink:

I met Chick Young in Turin at Scotland v Brazil 1990 and even although many think he is a Hun defo a Paisley buddie! :thumbsup:

BILLYHIBS
28-08-2018, 08:48 AM
Can't remember something that was a main talking point in a crucial game last season?

It was on the half way line and McGinn went on one of his bursting runs in midfield, Alston cynically kicked his legs away from him and was about 4-5 feet away from the ball, straight red for dangerous and over aggressiveness in the tackle.
So I was correct a red card was the correct outcome regardless of how we got there! Just a shame the match official did not come to the same conclusion :thumbsup:

BILLYHIBS
28-08-2018, 09:20 AM

Apologies did not realise OP was talking about the midweek Rocky game away from home. Yes I was up shouting at the telly defo sending off for violent conduct imo. Incident happened in the middle of our half. It’s not easy being old!:wink:

Billychaotic182
28-08-2018, 09:29 AM
Normally quite like Craig’s assessment. He’s quite good at explaining things from a referees stand point on the terrace podcast, but he’s talking utter rubbish here!

GreenOnions
28-08-2018, 09:50 AM
I does sound like Craig Anderson hasn't actually seen the incidents. You can argue all day long about interpretation, intent, severity etc and he's entitled to his views on that. However the facts are the facts. He seems to say that Porteous' studs trail down the back of GMS' legs and that no contact was made by GMS' head on Porteous' chin. These suggestions are just plain wrong. I can't see how his opinions on other issues can be taken seriously when his facts are wrong.

I thought Porteous' foul on GMS and the two Aberdeen boys' fouls on Boyle were all deliberate fouls of similar intent/severity and each deserved a yellow.

To compare any of those with Alston's is simply ridiculous IMHO. The Alston one and also the Harry Cochrane one on McGinn at Easter Road earlier this year are different examples where the ball is so far away that the incident can only really be described as violent conduct (off the ball) rather than a "late tackle" so a straight red is appropriate.

I am prepared to accept that GMS did not deliberately hit Porteous' chin with his head. I'm sure he was just trying to deliver a generally physical response to Porteous. However - anyone who has received such a blow - especially when it's not anticipated - could maybe understand Porteous' reaction.

On a more general point - how is it possible that Aberdeen are actually complaining about getting a point on Saturday? Surely they don't think they were worth three? I have a few Dons mates and none of them felt they deserved more than a draw.