PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Geebsie-24 years ago

ValleyHibee
27-08-2018, 01:04 PM
https://youtu.be/JqTN0S9D-KY Thought this day rung a bell regarding Hibs & it sure did,the goal that finally ended that horrendous record v them-team was J.Leighton,W.Miller,D.Beaumont,B.Findlay,S.Tweed,G ORDON HUNTER,K.Harper,B.Hamilton,G.Evans,D.Jackson & M.O'Neill-subs-K.McAllister & J.Tortolano

lord bunberry
27-08-2018, 01:17 PM
I remember that day well. It was during the time hearts had those awful temporary seats in the away end. Great scenes at full time and all the way back to Leith.

SirDavidsNapper
27-08-2018, 01:18 PM
So glad that run happened before social media. Imagine the meltdowns. Horrific.

Chic Murray
27-08-2018, 01:23 PM
Did Hunter get himself sent off deliberately in the first play off against Airdrie? There was a rumour at the time that he had a holiday booked, and would have to miss it if he wasn't there for the second leg. It's worth noting Hunter never played for Hibs again after that match.

Stevie Reid
27-08-2018, 01:30 PM
My Brother used to quite regularly claim "goal for x player" when we won a corner. That day he happened to state "goal for Gordon Hunter" when we won that one. No bad one to be right with, albeit it was his only one.

Great day, was so tense at the end. We beat Hearts three times that season IIRC.

KeithTheHibby
27-08-2018, 01:34 PM
Great game and at the time couldn't have picked more of a Hibs man to score the winning goal.

Same day as that Hearts cant Medals Mackay got sent off so double sweet victory.

ValleyHibee
27-08-2018, 01:36 PM
My Brother used to quite regularly claim "goal for x player" when we won a corner. That day he happened to state "goal for Gordon Hunter" when we won that one. No bad one to be right with, albeit it was his only one.

Great day, was so tense at the end. We beat Hearts three times that season IIRC.
Spot on,we did bt them 3 times

brog
27-08-2018, 01:54 PM
So glad that run happened before social media. Imagine the meltdowns. Horrific.

I was thinking same about social media when I saw this thread. I was in Angola, got an overnight flight to Lisbon & had no way of getting the score. At Lisbon airport I found a Portuguese paper which showed league tables & we were top so I knew we had won. Was almost disappointed when I saw score was only 1-0!

JeMeSouviens
27-08-2018, 01:55 PM
Spot on,we did bt them 3 times

2-1 and 3-1 at ER. The latter was near the end of the season when ER had no ends. The current South and FF stands got built that summer.

Tommy McLean was the Hearts manager (I think he only lasted that season) and tried to play a bit of football rather than the kick everything in green approach that had served them so well.

Roxyhibee
27-08-2018, 02:53 PM
Our normal large group of around 9 or 10 was reduced to just 2 of us heading to Tynie that day. We had played well enough in so many of those games to win them and just couldn’t, that most had given up hope, especially after the Foster fiasco just before.

Had a good few pints in the Blue Blazer before, taxi’d along and into the Georgie end of the old death trap stand. Can still remember the ball being taken so well by Geebsie at the back post.

At FT and on the way down the steps, saw Keith Wright in crutches coming out of a door somewhere with a huge smile on his face - as we were exaggeratedly grinning at all the Hertz fans joining us out of the other end of the stand.

The rest of the day / night is genuinely a blur.

Pretty Boy
27-08-2018, 02:58 PM
Great day. I was 8 and it was the 1st game I can remember us beating Hearts in albeit it had happened before in my lifetime.

I remember folk jumping on those benches with the seats screwed into them and them toppling over. It was absolute bedlam at the final whistle. Sure that was the day they unveiled the Wheatfield and Roseburn stands as well.

BILLYHIBS
27-08-2018, 03:01 PM
Sad to admit I had given up all hope by the time Geebsie scored. that glorious goal having borne witness to the countless times we had outplayed them only to be worn down by their dogged determination, John Robertsion, poor refereeing decisions and down right bad luck!

Jeebsys strike
27-08-2018, 03:04 PM
Very first derby at tynecastle for me. Was down near the front when gordon smashed that goal in. My auld man thought i was a lucky mascot but only been to 1 win there since

JimBHibees
27-08-2018, 03:22 PM
Did Hunter get himself sent off deliberately in the first play off against Airdrie? There was a rumour at the time that he had a holiday booked, and would have to miss it if he wasn't there for the second leg. It's worth noting Hunter never played for Hibs again after that match.

What ?

Is It On....
27-08-2018, 03:26 PM
I believe he also played in the game on 12th November 1988 at Tynecastle 🙂

gogsy23
27-08-2018, 03:56 PM
What a day that was. I was in the old stand with my old man, mum did t want to go as she thought she was bad luck. Will never forget that fist pump.

Chic Murray
27-08-2018, 04:02 PM
What ?

What I asked. It was a story doing the rounds at the time, I wondered if anybody else had heard it.

G B Young
27-08-2018, 04:17 PM

Strange question to ask on a thread about something completely different.

I doubt anyone would seriously think a guy who played over 400 games for Hibs would do something like that. He was simply released by Duffy at the end of the season, along with another Hibs hero in Keith Wright. We might not have been relegated the next season if he'd kept hold of them, although Duffy's incompetence that season would probably still have taken us down.

Chic Murray
27-08-2018, 05:51 PM
Strange question to ask on a thread about something completely different.

I doubt anyone would seriously think a guy who played over 400 games for Hibs would do something like that. He was simply released by Duffy at the end of the season, along with another Hibs hero in Keith Wright. We might not have been relegated the next season if he'd kept hold of them, although Duffy's incompetence that season would probably still have taken us down.

So would I, which is why I asked whether anybody had heard it, and whether there was anything in it.

I'd also find it strange if a professional footballer was found sleeping in the front of a car in Selkirk, but you know.....

Skol
27-08-2018, 05:57 PM
I was there, about 5 rows from the front just at the post where Geebsie scored. Absolute carnage

Gloucester Hibs
27-08-2018, 06:07 PM
I was there with my Dad and brother, probably my 3rd or 4th derby at Tynie and the first time I’d seen us win! My Dad had this weird obsession for games there of going for pints before/after in the Orwell Lodge which unsurprisingly always seemed to be teeming with Jambos. Usually they would be decent enough, with a bit of banter (not surprising given their record) but their mood noticeably changed after that game!

Our bucket seats burst off, screws and all, when Geebsie’s goal went in!

MSK
27-08-2018, 06:44 PM
Great day. I was 8 and it was the 1st game I can remember us beating Hearts in albeit it had happened before in my lifetime.

I remember folk jumping on those benches with the seats screwed into them and them toppling over. It was absolute bedlam at the final whistle. Sure that was the day they unveiled the Wheatfield and Roseburn stands as well.My memory must be shot, I was tucked round the corner past the corner flag but I thought it was still the old shed the janbos were in as opposed to the Wheatfield 😳

LaMotta
27-08-2018, 11:07 PM
My memory must be shot, I was tucked round the corner past the corner flag but I thought it was still the old shed the janbos were in as opposed to the Wheatfield 😳

Wheatfield was up but not the Roseburn, which came the season after.

94 95 was a great derby season, Alex Miller's best. Unfortuneatly all too rare for Lexo.

Steve-O
27-08-2018, 11:25 PM
I was 12 at the time, went with my dad and we were in the front row of the lower section of the main stand. Can still see us on the TV highlights at different points!

Was defo only the Wheatfield Stand that was up, I remember being surprised when I walked in as I don't think I even knew they were building a new stand. It looked absolutely massive compared to what was there before. There was no stand at all at the Roseburn end IIRC.

Pretty sure we picked up a copy of The Pink on the way home. Good times.

Gloucester Hibs
28-08-2018, 06:18 AM
Think the Roseburn stand was built for the following season, was definitely there for the Andy Dow 1-1 draw.

BILLYHIBS
28-08-2018, 07:33 AM
Think the Roseburn stand was built for the following season, was definitely there for the Andy Dow 1-1 draw.
Spotted Andy Dow in The Pottery Crail a few weeks ago with his Mrs. My wife thought they were German tourists but defo him. He knew I had clocked him. Still looks the same. My wife could not believe we had signed him from Chelsea. I informed her that he had scored on his debut against the Hearts and scored the winner for the Sheep in the Scottish Cup semi at Hampden during the wilderness years! :wink:

heidtheba
28-08-2018, 10:19 AM
Our normal large group of around 9 or 10 was reduced to just 2 of us heading to Tynie that day. We had played well enough in so many of those games to win them and just couldn’t, that most had given up hope, especially after the Foster fiasco just before.

Had a good few pints in the Blue Blazer before, taxi’d along and into the Georgie end of the old death trap stand. Can still remember the ball being taken so well by Geebsie at the back post.

At FT and on the way down the steps, saw Keith Wright in crutches coming out of a door somewhere with a huge smile on his face - as we were exaggeratedly grinning at all the Hertz fans joining us out of the other end of the stand.

The rest of the day / night is genuinely a blur.

One of the most one-sided games I've ever seen at ER. How we didn't win that one, never mind losing it, I'll never know. Walking back from Tynie after Hunter got that goal? Priceless. Only my second derby at Tynie too.