PDA

View Full Version : Scotland Squad

Humo
27-08-2018, 11:41 AM
Can't believe that Jack Hendry has been picked ahead of Paul Hanlon.

Absolute joke just because he's a Celtic player https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180827/6b2edcabe6db73aa3459fca398a9d878.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SRHibs
27-08-2018, 11:44 AM
John McGinn - Aston Villa. That will never look right. 😢

KWJ
27-08-2018, 11:45 AM
Hanlon's unfortunately started the season pretty poor for his standards. Not sure Jack Hendry has been any better likes but Hanlon hasn't done enough to win the jersey from him.

cabbageandribs1875
27-08-2018, 11:46 AM
jack hendry :bitchy: i'm already starting to regret wanting eck back

Chic Murray
I'm glad. We've got a long season ahead, and the likes of Paul will benefit from a rest after the European run.

Diclonius
As usual, midfield is where we are lacking (bar McGinn & possibly Armstrong). Hanlon is a better player than Hendry & Souttar.

CentreLine
John McGinn - Aston Villa. That will never look right. 😢

Looks a lot better than John McGinn - Celtic 😜

Nevi_SOL
27-08-2018, 11:49 AM
Levein **** talking Souttar has worked then. Whilst he’s been struggling against cove rangers and Dunfermline, Hanlon has played 6 games in Europe this season. Hanlon should feel robbed

sauzee=legend
27-08-2018, 11:50 AM
If Hendry was a dundee player still - no chance in hell would he be in the squad.

Smartie
27-08-2018, 11:53 AM
As usual, midfield is where we are lacking (bar McGinn & possibly Armstrong). Hanlon is a better player than Hendry & Souttar.

Scott Brown will be a huge miss, but I'm looking forward to McGinn dominating our midfield for years to come.

I don't think Hendry will play but he's a young player going through a shaky spell of form. He's still a decent player who will improve and is worth having in the squad.

Hanlon deserves a place, but he's not been outstanding so far this season - for that reason, McLeish may feel justified going with the younger players.

In some ways you could make a stronger case for Porteous being in there.

danhibees1875
27-08-2018, 11:57 AM
Levein **** talking Souttar has worked then. Whilst he’s been struggling against cove rangers and Dunfermline, Hanlon has played 6 games in Europe this season. Hanlon should feel robbed

Soutar was in the last squad then had to pull out - I don't think Levein's comments would have had any bearing on him being picked again - it was always going to happen.

Levein just wanted to do be seen as picking the right player/having some influence by saying it before it was announced.

California-Hibs
27-08-2018, 11:59 AM
Decent looking squad

Green Man
27-08-2018, 12:03 PM
We’re certainly well covered for left back.

JimBHibees
27-08-2018, 12:03 PM
Decent looking squad

Tend to agree just got to hope Sparky stays fit.

BroxburnHibee
27-08-2018, 12:07 PM
Think Porteous should be in there.

macca70
27-08-2018, 12:08 PM
McArthur requested to be left out the squad!!

Desperately requiring a striker, Griffiths not doing anything for Celtic at moment and Russell doesnt really excite me too much.

Dancehibs
27-08-2018, 12:11 PM
doesn't fill you with hope that we cam get to a major tourney. I weak looking squad. Jack Hendry ... only in squad because plays for soap dodgers

B.H.F.C
27-08-2018, 12:16 PM
There is some decent relatively young players in there who are playing at a decent level.

Robertson, Tierney, Fraser, McGregor an McGinn are the ones we should be building the team around IMO. All good players as it stands but will be around for a good few years and have plenty improvement in them.

Lago
27-08-2018, 12:20 PM
Decent looking squad
Totally disagree, nothing exciting about it at all. No more than I expected from McLeish to be honest poor choice for the Scotland job.
Really hope I am wrong.

SMAXXA
27-08-2018, 12:22 PM
Kinda just shows Mcleish talking ***** after talking up lewis and the threat to those who didn’t make themselves available for that trip would suffer, spineless tool

Pretty Boy
27-08-2018, 12:24 PM
Who's not in there that should be? I genuinely don't know. It's easy to say it's weak looking but is it a case of McLeish working with the hand he's been dealt?

I know nothing about the likes of MacDonald or McBurnie (I know he's been in squads before) but they must have something about them to be playing in the EPL, either now or in the recent past.

sambajustice
27-08-2018, 12:25 PM
McArthur requested to be left out the squad!!

Desperately requiring a striker, Griffiths not doing anything for Celtic at moment and Russell doesnt really excite me too much.

McBurnie ragdolled the Leeds defence the other night, looks a right handful and got 2 goals. Think he could "lead the line" well

danhibees1875
27-08-2018, 12:28 PM
I've no idea what the Scotland line up looks like these days, would it be anything like this:

Gordon
Tierney Hendry Souttar Robertson
Forrest Shinnie McGinn McGregor Armstrong
Griffiths

:dunno:

sambajustice
27-08-2018, 12:28 PM
Cairney is another one, he's a right player from what I've seen. He's 27 or 28 now, where has he been all this time!?

CorrieHibs
27-08-2018, 12:29 PM
Totally disagree, nothing exciting about it at all. No more than I expected from McLeish to be honest poor choice for the Scotland job.
Really hope I am wrong.

Who would you choose?

Who do you leave out and who do you replacement them with?

BroxburnHibee
27-08-2018, 12:30 PM
Take it Dylan is injured again?

Cocaine&Caviar
27-08-2018, 12:30 PM
If i were manager, i'd be building for the future;

GK: A. Gunn (if possible), Gordon, McGregor

LCB: K. Tierney, P. Hanlon, R. Porteous
CB: J. Souttar, J. Hendry,
RCB: S. McKenna, G. Hanley

LWB: A. Robertson, B. Douglas, G. Shinnie
RCM: C. McGregor, S. McTominay, D. McGeouch
LCM: J. McGinn, T. Cairney, S. Armstrong
RWB: C. Paterson.

LW: R. Fraser, R. Snodgrass
RW: O. Burke, M. Ritchie
CF: L. Griffiths, O. McBurnie, J. Cummings

CorrieHibs
27-08-2018, 12:33 PM
Take it Dylan is injured again?

Came on at the weekend. Playing in league 1 won’t help his case for being picked.

The others in his position play at a higher level.

SirDavidsNapper
27-08-2018, 12:33 PM
What has Jack Hendry done to warrant a call up?

Scorrie
27-08-2018, 12:54 PM
Noticed that Horgan is in the Ireland squad

JimBHibees
27-08-2018, 12:57 PM

Signed for Celtic. :greengrin Personally think he does deserve his place given how weak we are in that area.

jacomo
27-08-2018, 01:00 PM
doesn't fill you with hope that we cam get to a major tourney. I weak looking squad. Jack Hendry ... only in squad because plays for soap dodgers

I think it’s ok but we lack any real star quality.

500miles
27-08-2018, 01:03 PM
Given his start to the season, in Europe and the league, I thought our club captain may have been in with a shout. Maybe too old for a first cap though.

CMurdoch
27-08-2018, 02:08 PM

That's no far off what we have to call on at the moment although at the last count Angus Gunn seemed to have chucked his lot into the England camp

Brightside
27-08-2018, 02:11 PM
Hanlon's unfortunately started the season pretty poor for his standards. Not sure Jack Hendry has been any better likes but Hanlon hasn't done enough to win the jersey from him.

Hendry has been awful.

CMurdoch
27-08-2018, 02:15 PM
McGregor
? McKenna Hanlon Robertson
Forrest McGinn McGregor Tiernay
Russell McBurnie

Gordon seems to be getting worse and McGregor is playing well but who to play at right back. Russell played well in South America. The big problem is that Scotland seem to have loads of guys who are quite good but very few who are outstanding (Robertson). Who should we play at right back?

brog
27-08-2018, 02:22 PM
Soutar was in the last squad then had to pull out - I don't think Levein's comments would have had any bearing on him being picked again - it was always going to happen.

Levein just wanted to do be seen as picking the right player/having some influence by saying it before it was announced.

Souttar was named in the U 21 squad. He's been promoted because of the injury to McKenna. Hendry should be nowhere near that squad.

neil7908
27-08-2018, 02:35 PM
Think Porteous should be in there.

Absolutely no chance is he ready yet. He might not even get a start for us once McGregor is fit.

CMurdoch
27-08-2018, 02:40 PM
P. Hanlon, R. Porteous, C. Mulgrew
J. Souttar, J. Hendry, C Berra
S. McKenna, G. Hanley

8 centre halfs but IMO none is the real deal
Berra & Mulgrew getting long in the tooth
Hanley has always been likely to score at both ends
Hanlon I like but must be something missing given no team has tried to steal him from us.
Souttar has matured a lot but i still fear he has an error in him
McKenna, Porteous are still very inexperienced but if given time to develop could be the future
Hendry has been far too exposed at Celtic and is in danger of being damaged. Should not be with the national squad at this time

danhibees1875
27-08-2018, 02:50 PM
Souttar was named in the U 21 squad. He's been promoted because of the injury to McKenna. Hendry should be nowhere near that squad.

It was the full squad:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44202243

Bristolhibby
27-08-2018, 03:01 PM
In related news Daryl Horgan has been called up to the Republic of Ireland squad.

J

RyeSloan
27-08-2018, 03:16 PM
Saw McBurnie play the other week...looks a quality player.

Half decent squad and there is not exactly too many stand outs left out, if you know what I mean [emoji23]

Allant1981
27-08-2018, 03:31 PM
Really hope I am wrong.

in all honesty who else is there to be picked?

Stantons Angel
27-08-2018, 05:52 PM

He plays for Celtic would be my answer!

J-C
27-08-2018, 06:30 PM

I take it you've not seen Cairney play for Fulham this season, was superb at the weekend

we are hibs
27-08-2018, 06:53 PM
Wouldn't have Gordon anywhere near the squad. Just a disaster waiting to happen imo. What happened to the hearts goalie from last season?

Stuart93
27-08-2018, 07:14 PM
Jack hendry is absolute dug *****

Pretty Boy
27-08-2018, 07:17 PM
Wouldn't have Gordon anywhere near the squad. Just a disaster waiting to happen imo. What happened to the hearts goalie from last season?

Another who opted to drop to the English 3rd tier. Scotland managers get a lot of stick for their obsession with the English game so I'm not going to have a pop at McLeish for picking players playing at higher level over McGeough and McLaughlin.

brog
27-08-2018, 07:23 PM
It was the full squad:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44202243

Souttat was named in the U 21 squad last week. He's now been promoted. The attachment above refers to the summer tour.

Billy Whizz
27-08-2018, 07:24 PM
Another who opted to drop to the English 3rd tier. Scotland managers get a lot of stick for their obsession with the English game so I'm not going to have a pop at McLeish for picking players playing at higher level over McGeough and McLaughlin.

There isn’t an international break on this weekend in Division 1. Sunderland have a game, so I presume McLeish has just omitted them due to this

RN Hibee
27-08-2018, 07:24 PM
Notice McLeish has been quoted by the BBC as saying he wants to follow Frances recipe for success - pointing out they won the world cup without their striker scoring a goal...

Just curious who he sees as our Giroud up front who - even when he isn’t scoring - can be a physical presence and bring others into the game.

Seems an incredibly poorly thought out comment to me.

Pretty Boy
27-08-2018, 07:27 PM
Notice McLeish has been quoted by the BBC as saying he wants to follow Frances recipe for success - pointing out they won the world cup without their striker scoring a goal...

Just curious who he sees as our Giroud up front who - even when he isn’t scoring - can be a physical presence and bring others into the game.

I always thought Griffiths was underrated as a lone striker. He played there a lot under Fenlon and played the role superbly whilst scoring goals to boot.

RN Hibee
27-08-2018, 07:34 PM
I always thought Griffiths was underrated as a lone striker. He played there a lot under Fenlon and played the role superbly whilst scoring goals to boot.

I think Griffiths should (and will) play as the lone striker if that’s the system Scotland play, but a big part of his contribution to the team is his goals.

Giroud can play up top and score very little but still contributes massively due to his other attributes - especially his physical presence and we don’t have that type of striker.

Obviously I think the point McLeish was trying to make was that we need to find goals form elsewhere in the team if the strikers aren’t firing on all cylinders but still think it’s a poorly thought out comment.

danhibees1875
27-08-2018, 07:38 PM
Souttat was named in the U 21 squad last week. He's now been promoted. The attachment above refers to the summer tour.

Yeah, the summer tour was the last full team squad - I think? - which is what I said he was included in and then pulled out of.

Diclonius
27-08-2018, 07:46 PM

Hopefully this is the system McLeish will use. Griffiths does the work of 2 men up front.

Lago
27-08-2018, 07:48 PM
in all honesty who else is there to be picked?
Probably no one, but I don't see any leaders in that listing.

GreenArmyyy!
28-08-2018, 09:51 AM
Scotland could do far worse than give David Gray a shot at right back. Better than all but possibly Paterson and Hutton in that position.

Smartie
28-08-2018, 09:54 AM
Scotland could do far worse than give David Gray a shot at right back. Better than all but possible Paterson and Hutton in that position.

I think he'd have had a shot by now if it wasn't for the fact that he has been either injured or playing in the Championship for the past few years.

There certainly aren't many better out there.

Speedy
28-08-2018, 12:46 PM

Griezman scored a fair few goals did he not?

Bobbyjo
28-08-2018, 12:51 PM
Apart from keepers squad has a youngish look to it ,looks promising to me when 2 or 3 experienced players are back think MacLeish will get us over the line in next qualifiers for euros

Scott Allan Key
28-08-2018, 06:22 PM
Came on at the weekend. Playing in league 1 won’t help his case for being picked.

The others in his position play at a higher level.

Would’ve been better off football-wise staying at Hibs: sob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smartie
28-08-2018, 06:27 PM
Would’ve been better off football-wise staying at Hibs: sob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time will tell.

I think it's a good move for him.

More than likely both McGeouch and McLaughlin will be in the Championship next season playing for one of the biggest clubs in that league. They'll have proven themselves to the fans of that club and be looking to potentially get promoted to the Premier League.

They were unlikely to get a move to a club like that this summer so had to take what else was on offer.

I didn't really think there was much more that Hibs could offer McGinn or McGeouch, unless we'd managed to actually "get the band back together", hang onto the whole lot from the second half of last season and have a tilt at winning the league.

where'stheslope
29-08-2018, 04:07 PM

You do know that Scotland play in blue, not green and white?????

nonshinyfinish
29-08-2018, 07:35 PM
Griezman scored a fair few goals did he not?

Mbappe as well, it’s just a question of semantics regarding striker vs forward. Put those two in the Scotland team and we might be half decent.

Hibernian32
29-08-2018, 11:21 PM
Think cumdog might feel a slight disappointmet, I don’t understand how boyle hasn’t been called up either

TRC
30-08-2018, 04:42 AM
Mbappe as well, it’s just a question of semantics regarding striker vs forward. Put those two in the Scotland team and we might be half decent.

Unfortunately for us even if they were Scottish we'd find a way to play them as a centre half and a holding mid

The Modfather
30-08-2018, 07:14 AM
I see none of those on this thread morning about the squad came back with all these players that should be in the squad instead. Easier just to have a moan and be negative for the sake of it, par for the course for some when it comes to the national team.