PDA

View Full Version : Hibs club

WoreTheGreen
26-08-2018, 08:05 PM
Hibs club lounge to made smaller to keep the noise from the main hall . £100,000 ive heard it takes 20minsbto get served already. Total waste of money

26-08-2018, 08:08 PM
Wow there’s people with such a loose grasp on reality to believe such things.

WoreTheGreen
26-08-2018, 08:13 PM
How much then and a good idea

DarrenSQH
26-08-2018, 08:18 PM
It’s being renovated. Seen the plans and they look great.

Place really needs it. Good to see them using the funds from these busier years to smarten the place up.

WoreTheGreen
26-08-2018, 08:23 PM
Fine rather see the money going towards the playing squad than a vanity plan for the green blaziers

bod
26-08-2018, 08:26 PM
I like the club but its the time it takes to get served that puts me off

DarrenSQH
26-08-2018, 08:32 PM
Fine rather see the money going towards the playing squad than a vanity plan for the green blaziers

The supporters association is independent from the actual football club.

I think they do make donations to the club quite a bit and do a lot of charity work. I pay 17 a year for membership and they give me a ten quid voucher for drink in return. Prices are so cheap I doubt they make much money.

If there is a bit of profit then I have no problem in them doing the place up. I’m 30 and have never known the place to look any different than it does now.

RyeSloan
26-08-2018, 08:47 PM

It’s a social club not a football club!

Babyshamble
26-08-2018, 08:54 PM

Hahahaha nowt to do with the team.its.a.hibs.supporters.social. Club.name gives it away no ?

Hibernia&Alba
26-08-2018, 09:03 PM
Hibs club lounge to made smaller to keep the noise from the main hall . £100,000 ive heard it takes 20minsbto get served already. Total waste of money

Seems you've had no problems getting served tonight mate. How many have you had? :greengrin

El Gubbz
26-08-2018, 09:06 PM
Are they gonna stick in a couple windows?

I'm Spartacus
26-08-2018, 09:22 PM

Much needed, look at the plans and it’s not all just about a small refurbishment to keep the noise down!!! Whoever told you £100k just for that has another agenda. FAKE NEWS

BoomtownHibees
26-08-2018, 09:23 PM
Much needed, look at the plans and it’s not all just about a small refurbishment to keep the noise down!!! Whoever told you £100k just for that has another agenda. FAKE NEWS

Aye but that £100k would be better spent signing Griffiths 😂

I'm Spartacus
26-08-2018, 09:25 PM
Aye but that £100k would be better spent signing Griffiths [emoji23]

Hahaha doesn’t take him 20 minutes to get a pint in the club :)

Scouse Hibee
26-08-2018, 09:29 PM

You on the wind up?

Forza Fred
26-08-2018, 09:53 PM
Always zone in on the Hibs club whenever back in Edinburgh on holiday.

Haven’t been back for a while but pretty sure the committee wouldn’t enter into any renovations without thoroughly going through the pros and cons.

Only criticism I have ever had of them is what I perceived, rightly or wrongly, was a willingness to embrace and adapt to change.....do you still need to get a tray when you order a pint?

FranckSuzy
26-08-2018, 09:55 PM
Those who are concerned about the renovations/budget had the chance to ask questions and vote on the proposals at the AGM :aok:

iwasthere1972
26-08-2018, 09:56 PM
Haven't been in there since "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" was number one in the charts and I had long hair and wore flares. Is it still 15p for a pint?

Forza Fred
26-08-2018, 10:35 PM
Those who are concerned about the renovations/budget had the chance to ask questions and vote on the proposals at the AGM :aok:

Pretty sure nearly everybody will end up happy with any renovations...good to see them modernising the premises.

My question about the Trays though, was a serious one......when I left in 1974 it was mandatory that trays be used.......and even back in 2013 the trays were still there.

Is the requirement STILL in place, or did an ensuing committee FINALLY work out at some point that floor coverings had evolved over the decades and it was possible to get industrial flooring that absorbed drink leakage?

Hibernia&Alba
26-08-2018, 10:38 PM
Pretty sure nearly everybody will end up happy with any renovations...good to see them modernising the premises.

My question about the Trays though, was a serious one......when I left in 1974 it was mandatory that trays be used.......and even back in 2013 the trays were still there.

Is the requirement STILL in place, or did an ensuing committee FINALLY work out at some point that floor coverings had evolved over the decades and it was possible to get industrial flooring that absorbed drink leakage?

'You'll need a tray'.

https://youtu.be/xxX7QCll3oc

I'm Spartacus
26-08-2018, 10:51 PM

So a business/club should give Hibs £100k “just because”

Aye ok.

Hibbyradge
26-08-2018, 11:46 PM
Haven't been in there since "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" was number one in the charts and I had long hair and wore flares. Is it still 15p for a pint?

It's 17.5p for Tennents now. I know, I know.

And you don't need a tray.

Forza Fred
27-08-2018, 12:12 AM
It's 17.5p for Tennents now. I know, I know.

And you don't need a tray.

nae trays..good.!!

Always one of my favourite places over the years, and I should add, my appreciation to those who put in so much time to make the place continue to tick over...but sometimes receive little praise for their efforts.

Hibbyradge
27-08-2018, 12:13 AM
nae trays..good.!!

Always one of my favourite places over the years

I've not been there for a couple of years, but trays weren't required then.

norhfc
27-08-2018, 06:13 AM
Not a member but have friends who are so have been in quite frequently in recent years. Couple of things would improve the place in my opinion, windows in the main hall (patio would be great but probably laws against that) and better air conditioning. Well done all who have made the club successful, enjoy my visits.

I'm Spartacus
27-08-2018, 08:27 AM
This is what the club needs - cuts out the fake 20 minute wait and may help keep the noise down with folk crowding and shouting at the bar :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiu_IX14wLI

macca70
27-08-2018, 08:59 AM
Not a member but have friends who are so have been in quite frequently in recent years. Couple of things would improve the place in my opinion, windows in the main hall (patio would be great but probably laws against that) and better air conditioning. Well done all who have made the club successful, enjoy my visits.

They had windows in the main hall years ago, down the wall that runs down the lane.

They had to brick them up, think it was due to noise and complaints from local residents.

hibbymac
27-08-2018, 09:08 AM
They had windows in the main hall years ago, down the wall that runs down the lane.

They had to brick them up, think it was due to noise and complaints from local residents.

:agree: Sure they put up another full wall of bricks to create a "double wall" to keep the noise in.

That Jonny and Fags N' Matches were a noisy bunch :greengrin

Hibrandenburg
27-08-2018, 09:28 AM
nae trays..good.!!

Always one of my favourite places over the years, and I should add, my appreciation to those who put in so much time to make the place continue to tick over...but sometimes receive little praise for their efforts.

Same here. My old man was a Green Blazer for decades but because I left Edinburgh at 17 most of my memories of the place are childhood ones. It's my first stop on match day when I'm home and I've always been made welcome by the staff despite not being a member. There's been some characters in that place over the years and many of them looked after me as a bairn when going to away matches when my old boy stopped going. Bill Alcorn, Maude, Jackie Ernest and Eric Meechan to name a few. Although why my old boy put me on a bus full of radges "St Giles" as a boy I'll never know. :greengrin

Nakedmanoncrack
27-08-2018, 09:41 AM
I've not been there for a couple of years, but trays weren't required then.

Trays are there if you need them, useful when getting a big round in - but fortunately The days of insisting on a tray for one pint are gone!

Great club, but biggest improvement that could be made - getting rid of the stanctions that block customers/bar staff from seeing each other when queuing up. Staff must get fed up roaring "next" every few mins.

Forza Fred
27-08-2018, 09:42 AM
Same here. My old man was a Green Blazer for decades but because I left Edinburgh at 17 most of my memories of the place are childhood ones. It's my first stop on match day when I'm home and I've always been made welcome by the staff despite not being a member. There's been some characters in that place over the years and many of them looked after me as a bairn when going to away matches when my old boy stopped going. Bill Alcorn, Maude, Jackie Ernest and Eric Meechan to name a few. Although why my old boy put me on a bus full of radges "St Giles" as a boy I'll never know. :greengrin

Should have put you on the Carlton bus with likes of me, Williamson, Ronnie Ferguson and Frank Dougan instead of that motley crew you mention....surprised Alex Brodie never got a mention, but he may have been a bit later on....

Hibrandenburg
27-08-2018, 09:48 AM
Should have put you on the Carlton bus with likes of me, Williamson, Ronnie Ferguson and Frank Dougan instead of that motley crew you mention....surprised Alex Brodie never got a mention, but he may have been a bit later on....

Might be mistaken but I think Fergie was a St Giles boy back then. We were always the last bus back due to the 25 pub stops on the way back from far flung places like Falkirk.

offshorehibby
27-08-2018, 10:13 AM
Might be mistaken but I think Fergie was a St Giles boy back then. We were always the last bus back due to the 25 pub stops on the way back from far flung places like Falkirk.

Maybe getting Ronnie & his brother Derek mixed up, Derek would have been on St Giles.

Hibrandenburg
27-08-2018, 10:18 AM
Maybe getting Ronnie & his brother Derek mixed up, Derek would have been on St Giles.

Highly likely. It was a wee while ago and I was an impressionable young boy, the scars are still scorched on my psyche. :greengrin

WhileTheChief..
27-08-2018, 10:20 AM
'You'll need a tray'.

Brilliant :top marks

invisible man
27-08-2018, 01:56 PM
To answer a few points above:-

The refurb will cost around £110,000.

The lounge will not be smaller.

Noise encroachment from the Main hall is a problem and is only 1 of the reasons for the refurb. We will now be able to put entertainment on for the members at the weekend which we can't do at the moment if there is a function on, which is most weekends.

There will be 3 tills in the new bar which should speed up service.

Trays don't have to be used but please, try not to spill your beer on the brand new, unique carpet.

Windows in the main hall were blocked up because of complaints from neighbours. Glazing technology will have improved since then so installing windows again may be something we'll look at in the future.

Air con has been upgraded in the Pat Stanton Suite and newly installed in the Games Room in the past year at a cost of £15k. The main hall is slightly inadequate at the moment, replacement would cost a further £20k.

The pillars in the bar in the Main Hall are supporting pillars which also house the beer lines. Only solution would be to install a steel beam to support the structure which would cost many thousands of ££.

In the past few years we have sponsored Hibs to the tune of £30k and have also donated to Kicks for Kids and last year made a donation of £4k to St Columba's Hospice(thanks to the generosity of our members). We hope that the improvements in the bar will increase turnover and therefore increase the level of support we can give Hibs.

GGTTH

Dancehibs
27-08-2018, 02:20 PM

Noise encroachment from the Main hall is a problem and is only 1 of the reasons for the refurb. We will now be able to put entertainment on for the members at the weekend which we can't do at the moment if there is a function on, which is most weekends.

Trays don't have to be used but please, try not to spill your beer on the brand new, unique carpet.

Windows in the main hall were blocked up because of complaints from neighbours. Glazing technology will have improved since then so installing windows again may be something we'll look at in the future.

Air con has been upgraded in the Pat Stanton Suite and newly installed in the Games Room in the past year at a cost of £15k. The main hall is slightly inadequate at the moment, replacement would cost a further £20k.

The pillars in the bar in the Main Hall are supporting pillars which also house the beer lines. Only solution would be to install a steel beam to support the structure which would cost many thousands of ££.

In the past few years we have sponsored Hibs to the tune of £30k and have also donated to Kicks for Kids and last year made a donation of £4k to St Columba's Hospice(thanks to the generosity of our members). We hope that the improvements in the bar will increase turnover and therefore increase the level of support we can give Hibs.

GGTTH
Good update and hopefully refurb goes well. I’d suggest air con is worse than inadequate. It doesn’t work. Any visit to the club and your clothes smell. Straight into the washing. Yes, this has been fed back and disappointing action isn’t been taken . £30k given to Hibs would have been better spent on the club for the members.

Millions are going into Hibs tills. They should not need £30k of the hibs club

hibbymac
27-08-2018, 02:29 PM
Good update and hopefully refurb goes well. I’d suggest air con is worse than inadequate. It doesn’t work. Any visit to the club and your clothes smell. Straight into the washing. Yes, this has been fed back and disappointing action isn’t been taken . £30k given to Hibs would have been better spent on the club for the members.

Millions are going into Hibs tills. They should not need £30k of the huns club

:confused:

I'm Spartacus
27-08-2018, 02:34 PM

GGTTH

Great full, and factual, update.

Iggy Pope
27-08-2018, 02:37 PM

The tray rule even extended to the old Games Room which didn't have a carpet and the amount of reprobates in there meant use of a tray added to the hazard. People would get fed up waiting in the queue in the Lounge and come into the Games Room with a big drinks order to be met with much growling from the local Psychos. (Aye...one of them went by the name :greengrin). Great days. Without responding to some of the other quotes in detail, my recall is that Ronnie Ferguson (Chairman) was a Stanton member and his wee brother was St Giles. Ronnie got lambasted regularly by certain sections....:greengrin
Charlie Murray (RIP) was Games Room supremo and had a job on his hands. Great darts and pool sides.
I was Hawkhill for my entire stint and have to say I don't recall Bill Alcorn ever being on the bus for an away game and as the man has passed his popular nickname is best left unspoken. Eric Meechan was a grand old fellah and I still see a bit of Jackie Earnest who is one of the loveliest blokes you could meet anywhere, never forgot your name and looked out for you as you progressed from youth to fledgling drunk.
Maude's legend speaks for itself although getting on with her on her bus (and paying for the privilege all through close season) was something of a challenge as she could be a cantankerous old bugger. In saying that, it was a bus every away game packed with members guaranteed and not all branches could have laid claim to this at the time.

I'm not a member now (got my first Juvenile affiliation in 1976), but I'm glad the Club continues to thrive and after all the challenging years is continuing to improve. There'll be a few 'spirits in the sky' happy about this too.

Dancehibs
27-08-2018, 03:10 PM

GGTTH
had the club considered selling sunny side and relocating to the gap site between FF stand and the east building a modern club which could also incorporate BTG? I’d would probably be able to cater for several thousand fans on match days, self contained function rooms etc

invisible man
27-08-2018, 03:10 PM

Millions are going into Hibs tills. They should not need £30k of the hibs clubSmell in the big hall wont be solved by air con. We've tried a couple of solutions which have helped slightly but we know there's still a problem. We'll continue working at it until the problem's resolved.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Dancehibs
27-08-2018, 03:18 PM
Smell in the big hall wont be solved by air con. We've tried a couple of solutions which have helped slightly but we know there's still a problem. We'll continue working at it until the problem's resolved.

Good luck and thanks for replying

invisible man
27-08-2018, 03:29 PM
had the club considered selling sunny side and relocating to the gap site between FF stand and the east building a modern club which could also incorporate BTG? I’d would probably be able to cater for several thousand fans on match days, self contained function rooms etcThere was a discussion a few years ago about moving into the ff suites but it was voted down by the members.

What you suggest would be a major undertaking by what is essentially volunteers.

If you're a member suggest it at the next AGM [emoji3]

Brightside
27-08-2018, 03:31 PM
Smell in the big hall wont be solved by air con. We've tried a couple of solutions which have helped slightly but we know there's still a problem. We'll continue working at it until the problem's resolved.

Whats the smell in the big hall??

invisible man
27-08-2018, 03:38 PM
Whats the smell in the big hall??If you've not noticed , I'm no telling

lord bunberry
27-08-2018, 04:16 PM
Fags and Matches performing on the stage.

jax67
27-08-2018, 04:34 PM

GGTTH

This is excellent!!
Thanks for the update, love the Hibs club.👍

Dancehibs
27-08-2018, 04:43 PM
There was a discussion a few years ago about moving into the ff suites but it was voted down by the members.

What you suggest would be a major undertaking by what is essentially volunteers.

If you're a member suggest it at the next AGM [emoji3]

Thanks I may do that. FF suites wouldn’t have worked. Understable voted down. If it was to happen Hibs club would need to be 200% in control and preferably own the land

Stantons Angel
27-08-2018, 05:28 PM
The tray rule even extended to the old Games Room which didn't have a carpet and the amount of reprobates in there meant use of a tray added to the hazard. People would get fed up waiting in the queue in the Lounge and come into the Games Room with a big drinks order to be met with much growling from the local Psychos. (Aye...one of them went by the name :greengrin). Great days. Without responding to some of the other quotes in detail, my recall is that Ronnie Ferguson (Chairman) was a Stanton member and his wee brother was St Giles. Ronnie got lambasted regularly by certain sections....:greengrin
Charlie Murray (RIP) was Games Room supremo and had a job on his hands. Great darts and pool sides.
I was Hawkhill for my entire stint and have to say I don't recall Bill Alcorn ever being on the bus for an away game and as the man has passed his popular nickname is best left unspoken. Eric Meechan was a grand old fellah and I still see a bit of Jackie Earnest who is one of the loveliest blokes you could meet anywhere, never forgot your name and looked out for you as you progressed from youth to fledgling drunk.
Maude's legend speaks for itself although getting on with her on her bus (and paying for the privilege all through close season) was something of a challenge as she could be a cantankerous old bugger. In saying that, it was a bus every away game packed with members guaranteed and not all branches could have laid claim to this at the time.

I'm not a member now (got my first Juvenile affiliation in 1976), but I'm glad the Club continues to thrive and after all the challenging years is continuing to improve. There'll be a few 'spirits in the sky' happy about this too.

I was a member of Hawkhill for many many years and only changed after Maude left us. Im now back with the branch i started with and very happy to be there too. It made me smile calling Maude cantankerous and bringing back the memories of having to travel from the other side of town each week of the closed season to pay for your tickets that allowed you to travel on her bus. In those days it was the only branch to run a bus every away game..

If you had been waiting on the bus for ages and were not a member of Hawkhill you got left waiting till all her members where on the bus before you got a seat.

the Hibs club is a social club for Hibs supporters. Over the years they have supported the Football club in many ways not just financially. Any profits made on the social side of the club should in my opinion be put to the good for the supporters using the premises.

There are points mentioned that some would like to see rectified and the renovations being talked about will see the place more comfortable for the supporters to come to.

I can remember the Hibs club as far back as the late 60's and it continues to grow and hopefully with the new renovations it will continue to grow and attract more supporters in years to come.

Steve-O
28-08-2018, 02:10 AM

Maybe try putting those green blazers into the dry cleaning every now and then :wink:

invisible man
28-08-2018, 09:12 AM
Maybe try putting those green blazers into the dry cleaning every now and then :wink:We're getting new ones, maybe that will make the differençe[emoji3]