View Full Version : edinburgh or glasgow

Pages : [1] 2

EastCalderHibby
26-08-2018, 01:54 PM
With the sfa deciding this week whats your preference hampdump or murrayfeild

Dancehibs
26-08-2018, 01:56 PM
With the sfa deciding this week whats your preference hampdump or murrayfeild
Murrayfield. But my preference was to move games about the country.

cleanyman
26-08-2018, 01:56 PM
For a pure historical point of view its Hampden. I find it to be a really special place.

I do however understand that perhaps we need to move with the times...but I'm unsure if Murrayfield is the answer.

So...I don't know.

My_Wife_Camille
26-08-2018, 01:57 PM
Hampden

tartanhibee
26-08-2018, 01:57 PM
Hampden for nostalgia

Murrayfield for ease

In short I’m not sure so probably shouldn’t of replied 😂

JE89
26-08-2018, 01:58 PM
Murrayfield. Hampden is terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
26-08-2018, 01:58 PM
A redeveloped Hampden with the goal ends brought closer to the pitch and Squared off and maybe made 2 tiers as well. Lower tiers made safe standing and uppers just seated.

Same with the North stand, make it 2 tiers tight on the pitch.

A Hi-Bee
26-08-2018, 02:00 PM
The west have had things there own way for far to long, move it to the Capital.

Steven79
26-08-2018, 02:01 PM
Unless they have a plan to fix Hampden then we need to move as Murrayfield is a better stadium and while it still has it flaws they are much less than Hampden which despite it's history isn't fit for it's purpose.

Diclonius
26-08-2018, 02:02 PM
A completely redeveloped Hampden. No running track, stands directly behind the pitch, expand the capacity and most importantly - buy it from Queen's Park. An amateur club owning our national stadium sums the SFA up. Oh, and stop giving the OF their own "ends".

Failing that, Murrayfield.

EastCalderHibby
26-08-2018, 02:07 PM
Hampden for nostalgia

Murrayfield for ease

In short I’m not sure so probably shouldn’t of replied 😂

that's where i am too. but murrayfield growing on me more as the uglys would have to come through here for
semi's and finals rather than almost a home game for them

O'Rourke3
26-08-2018, 02:09 PM
Being stuck outside Hampden for over an hour after the Ross County game becasue the police are no longer bothered about directing traffic was the final nail in Hampden's coffin for me. Even with the m74 extension getting in and out is still a nightmare. There will be issues at Murrayfield which is as bad as Hampden for proximity but it's a far better stadium. 20 mins by car also helps of course :greengrin

hibbyfraelibby
26-08-2018, 02:12 PM
Murrayfield. To make Hampdump fit for purpose will cost £50m minimum snd that still doesnt address the access difficulties.

Moving to Murrayfield leaves more money in football playing at a Rugby stadium than playing games at a Speedway stadium

Thecat23
26-08-2018, 02:14 PM
Murrayfield, Hampden really is a **** hole!

lucky
26-08-2018, 02:15 PM
A completely redeveloped Hampden. No running track, stands directly behind the pitch, expand the capacity and most importantly - buy it from Queen's Park. An amateur club owning our national stadium sums the SFA up. Oh, and stop giving the OF their own "ends".

Failing that, Murrayfield.

This!

Phil MaGlass
26-08-2018, 02:16 PM
Murryfield hands doon, better transport to and from hotels, pubs,restaurants everything that modern fans need. Hampden doesnae have that.

EastCalderHibby
26-08-2018, 02:19 PM
Murrayfield. To make Hampdump fit for purpose will cost £50m minimum snd that still doesnt address the access difficulties.

Moving to Murrayfield keaves more money in football playing at a Rugby stadium than playing games at a Speedway stadium

i think murryfield holds about 10 / 15 thousand more too, dont know what segregation would be like if a hibs v gunts final was there though

cabbageandribs1875
26-08-2018, 02:23 PM
Hampden :agree:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
26-08-2018, 02:24 PM
Ditch Hampdump and take the internationals round Murrayfield, Ibrox, Parkhead, Easter Road and Pittodrie based on what the likely crowd size would be.

Ged
26-08-2018, 02:26 PM
Is there any realistic chance that the switch will be made to Murrayfield? I'd be very surprised if it happens.

where'stheslope
26-08-2018, 02:34 PM
Ditch Hampdump and take the internationals round Murrayfield, Ibrox, Parkhead, Easter Road and Pittodrie based on what the likely crowd size would be.
If they ever think of dumping Hampden, they will need to find a base for SFA and SPFL to carry out the business?
And for that reason I think they will never move from Glasgow and Hampden!
The biggest problem with staying is that the amount of work needing done in and around Hampden would be so costly it would fast become untenable, and we will be in the same position in ten years time with no money to even think about moving!!!

iwasthere1972
26-08-2018, 02:34 PM
Purely selfish point of view I vote for Murrayfield. I could be there within 30 minutes and all done on my bus pass. Don't know what the views would be like as I've never been before.

stantonsboots
26-08-2018, 02:42 PM
does anyone really think they'll move from the weedge? never in a million years is my guess! and im glad about it! they can keep they're sectarian bile where it belongs!!!

Onceinawhile
26-08-2018, 02:42 PM
Hampden. Can't understand the complaints about access?

Kings Park and Mount florida are both within a ten minute walk, Queen Street and Central are also walkable. There's plenty on street parking and plenty buses and taxis available.

Hibstrooper
26-08-2018, 02:43 PM
Can you imagine 50,000 Huns descending on Edinburgh for a cup final, no thanks.

Hampden redeveloped as mentioned earlier would be my preference

Springbank
26-08-2018, 02:43 PM
hampden

even at the Scotland win v England at murrayfield this year atmosphère was muted given how far away from the pitch most seats there are

brianmc
26-08-2018, 02:45 PM
Murrayfield for me.

IGRIGI
26-08-2018, 02:46 PM
Hampden, Murraufield is too Hearts / Edinburgh Establishment for my liking.

SirDavidsNapper
26-08-2018, 02:50 PM
The national stadium should be in the capital city in my opinion

brianmc
26-08-2018, 02:50 PM

Kings Park and Mount florida are both within a ten minute walk, Queen Street and Central are also walkable. There's plenty on street parking and plenty buses and taxis available.

Queen Street and Central are the best part of 3 miles away.... Not everyone is as keen on walking as you appear to be!

wookie70
26-08-2018, 02:52 PM
The infrastructure is dreadful at Hampden as is the current stadium. Murrayfield for me but better sill a purpose built stadium in the Central belt that can cope with 50/60K fans

hibbyfraelibby
26-08-2018, 02:53 PM

You have to get to Queens Street or Central first, change trains then walk even further until you get there to sit almost a pitch length away from the goals. If you go by car it can take 90 minutes to just get out of the car parks.

Keith_M
26-08-2018, 02:55 PM
The SFA and SPFL have plush offices with free parking at Hampden, and the ones that work there are obviously within commuting distance.

I don't think their is a genuine possibility of relocation.

-------------

If there was, and unlimited funds to redevelop, my choice would be to build a new stadium just south of Stirling, where the M80 and M9 meet, with rail links to Glasgow, Edinburgh and the North.

TelaStella
26-08-2018, 02:59 PM
Hampden. Very easy to fault it and rightly so it’s nowhere near the quality of stadia we deserve and I completely agree that some type of redevelopment needs to be put in place but end of the day it’s our home of football and a move anywhere else especially a rugby stadium is just insulting. I don’t think being from Edinburgh should hinder opinions either, the fact some people knock hampden simply because it’s in Glasgow is just petty.

hfc rd
26-08-2018, 03:01 PM
Murrayfield for me. Don’t like Hampden at all.

Just wondering if it is to be Murrayfield, will the OF still get a designated area like they do at Hampden? Celtic always get the east stand side whilst Sevco get the West.

THESHIP
26-08-2018, 03:03 PM
A redeveloped Hampden for me. Moving to Murrayfield would take away the magic of the day out.

Pantah
26-08-2018, 03:11 PM
For selfish reasons i would say Murrayfield but SRU chiefs admitted rugby would have priority if there was a date clash.

Ozyhibby
26-08-2018, 03:15 PM
A redeveloped Hampden with the goal ends brought closer to the pitch and Squared off and maybe made 2 tiers as well. Lower tiers made safe standing and uppers just seated.

Same with the North stand, make it 2 tiers tight on the pitch.

That option is not on the table. It’s Hampden as it is just now or Murrayfield. There is no money for a rebuild.

hfc rd
26-08-2018, 03:16 PM
For selfish reasons i would say Murrayfield but SRU chiefs admitted rugby would have priority if there was a date clash.

Of course it would. The SRU own the ground.

Jones28
26-08-2018, 03:23 PM
For the sake of nostalgia I would love to pick Hampden up and plonk it down in a better situation with transport links, pubs surrounding it etc etc.

Seeing as you canny do that however, it's got to be murrayfield, better stadium in a better location with better links to the city and not a long walk to the centre. For diddy games you could close the top deck and sell out the lower 30,000 tickets.

Is It On....
26-08-2018, 03:25 PM
My heart says Hampden but head says Murrayfield. One national stadium for both sports. Murrayfield also has better access. In addition, given the way that our football leaders have failed in their running of the game, the only thing I would be confident of a Hampden option would be a massive cost over-run.

JK Rolling
26-08-2018, 03:25 PM
Murrayfield is the correct choice in relation to stadium size, accessibility etc., etc., but as it's not in Glasgow, sadly, it will not be selected.

CraigHibee
26-08-2018, 03:27 PM
hampden redeveloped with 2 tier stands on all sides, with that they could easily increase capacity to over 50k murrayfield doesn't need any work done so it would be an easy move but there will likely come a time when sfa will need their own stadium

Ozyhibby
26-08-2018, 03:34 PM
hampden redeveloped with 2 tier stands on all sides, with that they could easily increase capacity to over 50k murrayfield doesn't need any work done so it would be an easy move but there will likely come a time when sfa will need their own stadium

Why would the SFA need their own stadium?

huggie1875
26-08-2018, 03:37 PM
outside of tradition there is no logical argument for hampden bad location bad facilities terrible transport links so Murrayfield all the way for me

lord bunberry
26-08-2018, 03:37 PM
It would be the biggest shock in Scottish football history if the sfa move away from Hampden. I just can’t see it happening, I doubt it’s ever been a serious option.

Ozyhibby
26-08-2018, 04:13 PM
It would be the biggest shock in Scottish football history if the sfa move away from Hampden. I just can’t see it happening, I doubt it’s ever been a serious option.

It’s a serious option because Scottish football is skint and moving to Murrayfield will make the SFA a lot more money.
There are loads of other reasons to choose Murrayfield but if that’s the decision then it will be the money that swings it.

BullsCloseHibs
26-08-2018, 04:17 PM
Two quite forgettable stadiums imo. Why can't we have a decent, modern stadium, fit for purpose, fit for football!! Norway, Belgium, Holland can do it.

Waxy
26-08-2018, 04:23 PM
Murrayfield deserves its chance.Extra seats extra money.

Ozyhibby
26-08-2018, 04:29 PM
Two quite forgettable stadiums imo. Why can't we have a decent, modern stadium, fit for purpose, fit for football!! Norway, Belgium, Holland can do it.

They are all independent?

BegbieHSC
26-08-2018, 04:31 PM
Hampden will always be where my happiest ever memory as a football fan, after that day in May.

However, I think it’s time for the SFA to leave Hampden for Murrayfield.
We’re Scotland’s Capital, and that’s where the national team’s home should be. Facilities, transport, capacity and so on are vastly superior to Hampden. However, what counts against an Edinburgh stadium is that the city isn’t home to the Huns or Celtc

Pretty Boy
26-08-2018, 04:46 PM
The money it will cost to purchase Hampden then bring it up to scratch would be better used improving facilities for the grassroots game.

Move the games around the country and use Murrayfield when demand requires.

Spending a fortune on a white elephant just seems madness to me.

Dancehibs
26-08-2018, 04:52 PM
The money it will cost to purchase Hampden then bring it up to scratch would be better used improving facilities for the grassroots game.

Spot on. Build full size indoor pitches around Scotland

Hi Heid Yin
26-08-2018, 04:53 PM
Murrayfield, Hampden really is a **** hole!

I second this!:agree:

Dancehibs
26-08-2018, 05:00 PM

Ozyhibby
26-08-2018, 05:09 PM

Absolutely. The SFA should be about improving our game.

Keith_M
26-08-2018, 06:13 PM
When the Hampden and Murrayfield rebuilds were mooted in the early 90s, the sensible thing would have been to have a joint venture and shared stadium as they do in Cardiff. Sadly that chance has long gone.

However, if the SFA were gifted the same 200+ million in government money used for rebuilding Wembley, just imagine the stadium Scotland could now have.

davhibby
26-08-2018, 06:53 PM
The main groan about Hampden is how far away you are from the pitch. Murrayfield is the exact same. Use some of the money that will be generated by hosting some of the euro 2020 games to begin to redevelop the stands behind the goals at Hampden and you'd get a good stadium

Ozyhibby
26-08-2018, 06:55 PM
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sfa-decision-hampden-cant-based-13141357.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Ozyhibby
26-08-2018, 06:57 PM
The main groan about Hampden is how far away you are from the pitch. Murrayfield is the exact same. Use some of the money that will be generated by hosting some of the euro 2020 games to begin to redevelop the stands behind the goals at Hampden and you'd get a good stadium

There is no spare money to renovate Hampden. It just isn’t there.
Also, while Murrayfield stands are away from the pitch, they are not as far away as Hampden and more importantly, the pitch of the stands at Murrayfield means the view of the game is much better.

Eyrie
26-08-2018, 07:07 PM

Agreed, but far too sensible for the clowns who run Scottish football. They're more obsessed with their own interests than those of the game.

The SRU have played games at Hampden, Pittodrie, McDiarmid and Rugby Park which proves that one set of blazerati are willing to take the games to the fans.

Billy Whizz
26-08-2018, 07:21 PM
Who are the key people who are making the decision

Glory Lurker
26-08-2018, 07:22 PM
Murrayfield, with smaller internationals/semis at ER.

Jones28
26-08-2018, 07:35 PM
Btw should add that they will never vote to leave Hampden. Too many old romantics in Scottish football have an unwavering devotion to it and will be up in arms if they do move.

jgl07
26-08-2018, 07:42 PM
Well Belgium just cancelled their new national stadium project. They still reside at the former Heysel Stadium.

Norway have a 28,000 capacity stadium in Oslo.

Holland use the stadium built for Ajax.

We have three stadia in Glasgow. All have very poor accessibility and are a nightmare to get away from.

On the other hand Murrayfield is truly awful with a somewhat pointless running track to keep the fans away from the action. It is excellent for communication with Haymarket Station 10 minutes walk and a tram stop right outside.

Hampden needs a complete rebuild apart from the South Stand and I don't really see that it is economically viable to have a dedicated football National Stadium. The FA want to sell Wembley! That sums it all up.

JimBHibees
26-08-2018, 07:47 PM
Murrayfield. Hampden is terrible.

Ditto

JimBHibees
26-08-2018, 07:56 PM
Well Belgium just cancelled their new national stadium project. They still reside at the former Heysel Stadium.

We have three stadia in Glasgow. All have very poor accessibility and are a nightmare to get away from.

On the other hand Murrayfield is truly awful with a somewhat pointless running track to keep the fans away from the action. It is excellent for communication with Haymarket Station 10 minutes walk and a tram stop right outside.

Hampden needs a complete rebuild apart from the South Stand and I don't really see that it is economically viable to have a dedicated football National Stadium. The FA want to sell Wembley! That sums it all up.

Sorry Murrayfield is an excellent stadium and about 10 times better than hampden

WHAM
26-08-2018, 08:05 PM

I agree with you here. Hampden is not as bad for transport links that people like to make out.

You can walk to Victoria Rd or Cathcart in 10mins and normally pretty easy to get a taxi. After the semi-final last year, we managed to get a taxi at the new Victoria Hospital and were back in Glasgow city centre about 20mins after FT.

Surely for most stadia seating over 50k, it’s a bit of a nightmare trying to get away from. I remember it took much over an hour to get into Wembley tube station after the England V Scotland match.

In all seriousness (for people not living in Edinburgh) is Murrayfield any better transport wise?? There are only 2 main routes to get back onto the city bypass from Murrayfield and I can’t imagine that is the quickest with 60k crowds.

People also mention a new stadium near Stirling or somewhere else in the central belt. Nowhere else has the rail link that Glasgow does unfortunately and could you imagine 50-60k trying to use the motorway networks...it would be worse than 2-3k Hibs fans trying to get to McDiarmid Park 😂

Not convinced by Murrayfield as a football stadium either. Both have stands miles from the pitch.

A redeveloped Hampden would be my preferred option but almost certain the money isn’t there for that.

Celtic Park (and Ibrox) much more suited for football. The atmosphere at the Scotland v Ireland would show that. However, personally I’m not so sure the big internationals or cup finals would feel as “special” away from hampden.

I would agree that the smaller international fixtures would be better played at smaller and more enclosed stadia like Easter Road, and I think it’s a joke the Scotland fixtures coming up are getting played at hampden. Can’t see more than 25k there.

Dashing Bob S
26-08-2018, 08:12 PM
Hampden should have been bulldozed on Sunday, 22nd May, 2016, after it had served it's purpose.

Destroy it now and there will be no nostalgic regret other than rubbish from wedge pundits - the overwhelming feeling will be to instantly wonder how on earth it took us so long.

LancashireHibby
26-08-2018, 08:45 PM

I love Hampden for exactly that reason. When we’ve played semi finals they generally tend to be early kick offs which presents a challenge from this end, but I know I can be in my seat at Hampden within about 20 minutes of arriving Central. Less if there happens to be a special just about to leave on the adjacent platform.

I’d read on Twitter that Murrayfield were only bidding for the international games and not domestic cup finals and semi finals. Which essentially makes the whole thing a non-starter; it’s got to be all or nothing for so many reasons.

PatHead
26-08-2018, 09:48 PM
The SFA should pay for the corners of Easter Road to increase the capacity. Then use it for smaller international matches.

Major internationals and cup semi finals and the finals themselves should be shared between Parkhead, Ibrox and Easter Road depending on likely attendance. Once Aberdeen has its new ground that should also be considered.

iwasthere1972
26-08-2018, 10:31 PM
The SFA should pay for the corners of Easter Road to increase the capacity. Then use it for smaller international matches.

Major internationals and cup semi finals and the finals themselves should be shared between Parkhead, Ibrox and Easter Road depending on likely attendance. Once Aberdeen has its new ground that should also be considered.

So as not to appear bias they should also fill in the corners at Tynecastle. Oh wait a minute they don't have any empty corners and couldn't stage full internationals. :flag:

guidref
27-08-2018, 06:45 AM
Murrayfield is a far superior stadium to Hampden. All we are talking about is 4 semi finals and 2 finals plus international games (maybe 3 or 4 per year)Edinburgh Rug by have move fro Murreyfield to Meggatland so no clash there.

6 nations is in February/March so no real clash an only 3 home (sometimes only 2) games
autumn Internationals shouldn't clash with football either.

SFA offices can be anywhere and could still be in the west, plenty of prime and empty offices in Scotland

Just my opinion of course

Ozyhibby
27-08-2018, 06:46 AM
I love Hampden for exactly that reason. When we’ve played semi finals they generally tend to be early kick offs which presents a challenge from this end, but I know I can be in my seat at Hampden within about 20 minutes of arriving Central. Less if there happens to be a special just about to leave on the adjacent platform.

I’d read on Twitter that Murrayfield were only bidding for the international games and not domestic cup finals and semi finals. Which essentially makes the whole thing a non-starter; it’s got to be all or nothing for so many reasons.

That last bit is not true. The are bidding for finals as well. Semi finals will go back to club grounds.

GreenCastle
27-08-2018, 06:52 AM
I just can’t see them up moving the SFA offices at Hampden.

Though Oriam now has many performance coaches and staff at HW.

As a stadium Hampden needs improved a mainly behind the goals.

Murrayfield is bigger but still quite far from the action in certain areas.

Ideally they would start again and build a stadium everyone could be proud of and give Scottish Football a boost.

But I guess they can’t afford to do that and if they spend X on a stadium and don’t use it to invest into Coaching etc there would rightly so be outcry as we struggle to qualify for tournaments.

Scottish Football needs change but doubt they will make a good decision and it will be some short term vision.

Since90+2
27-08-2018, 06:56 AM
Murrayfield is a far superior stadium to Hampden. All we are talking about is 4 semi finals and 2 finals plus international games (maybe 3 or 4 per year)Edinburgh Rug by have move fro Murreyfield to Meggatland so no clash there.

6 nations is in February/March so no real clash an only 3 home (sometimes only 2) games
autumn Internationals shouldn't clash with football either.

SFA offices can be anywhere and could still be in the west, plenty of prime and empty offices in Scotland

Just my opinion of course

Edinburgh Rugby don't play at Meggetland,they cut that short and moved back to Murrayfield after about 6 months.

Jones28
27-08-2018, 07:20 AM
Edinburgh Rugby don't play at Meggetland,they cut that short and moved back to Murrayfield after about 6 months.

Additionally they're building a mini-Murray field alongside the big one where the training pitches are. So this makes the chances of a fixture clash less likely as edinburgh will have their own stadium.

Ozyhibby
27-08-2018, 07:24 AM
Additionally they're building a mini-Murray field alongside the big one where the training pitches are. So this makes the chances of a fixture clash less likely as edinburgh will have their own stadium.

Fixture clashes won’t be an issue anyway. Murray field can easily accommodate a rugby game and a football match over a weekend.

McD
27-08-2018, 07:24 AM

yes, when the stadium was being designed, someone said ‘let’s deliberately keep the fans away from the pitch’ :rolleyes:

Apart from that one stand at Murrayfield, the 3 others are closer to the pitch, unlike hampden where only one stand is close to the pitch, and those in the end stands are miles away.

.Sean.
27-08-2018, 08:23 AM

Why, so we can be stuck with a 30000 white elephant for the sake of hosting some international games against the likes of San Marino and Moldova that lots of of us aren’t even arsed about?

I can’t believe some people moan so much about sight lines they encounter a few times a season if they’re lucky. In fact on the subject of lucky think yourselves exactly that you get to see your team in a ‘hole’ such as Hampden on a regular basis as there are tens of thousands of supporters up and down the country who would kill for that. Moaning about sight lines and the rake of a stand you need to endure when watching your club in finals and semi finals. Oh the hardship.

And I also don’t get the argument about a new stadium in another location - for instance a Scottish Cup Final in a tattie field outside Stirling? Great.

And Murrayfield is crap and why should we line the pockets of the SRU? That money should be spent on our game, not going towards a shower of snooty eggchasers.

And the thought of Murrayfield is also only marginally better than boosting the bank balances of Celtic and Rangers by using Ibrox and Celtic Park and widening the financial gap between them and the rest of us even further.

Hampden for me and Hampden will be the choice, thankfully.

Ozyhibby
27-08-2018, 08:55 AM
Why, so we can be stuck with a 30000 white elephant for the sake of hosting some international games against the likes of San Marino and Moldova that lots of of us aren’t even arsed about?

I can’t believe some people moan so much about sight lines they encounter a few times a season if they’re lucky. In fact on the subject of lucky think yourselves exactly that you get to see your team in a ‘hole’ such as Hampden on a regular basis as there are tens of thousands of supporters up and down the country who would kill for that. Moaning about sight lines and the rake of a stand you need to endure when watching your club in finals and semi finals. Oh the hardship.

And I also don’t get the argument about a new stadium in another location - for instance a Scottish Cup Final in a tattie field outside Stirling? Great.

And Murrayfield is crap and why should we line the pockets of the SRU? That money should be spent on our game, not going towards a shower of snooty eggchasers.

And the thought of Murrayfield is also only marginally better than boosting the bank balances of Celtic and Rangers by using Ibrox and Celtic Park and widening the financial gap between them and the rest of us even further.

Hampden for me and Hampden will be the choice, thankfully.

Linning the pockets of the egg chasers? You do realise that the reason Murrayfield is being considered is because it means more money for football?
Murrayfield means more money for the SFA to spend on the Scottish game.
You would rather Scottish football was poorer just so that rugby would be worse of as well? I don’t understand people who think like this.

we are hibs
27-08-2018, 09:03 AM
Murrayfield. Hampden and it's surrounding areas it's an utter dump. The national stadium should be in the capital. Won't happen though. The weegie press have went into overdrive about how it would affect Glasgow. Personally couldn't give two *****s how it affects them. Football isn't a sport that exists in Scotland purely to benefit Glasgow. As much as those who live their would like you to believe so.

Nakedmanoncrack
27-08-2018, 09:48 AM
"Edinburgh or Glasgow"

Yes, that's what the choice is clearly about to a lot of people commenting on here, showing their prejudice- who clearly haven't got much of a clue. Hampden is in need of redevelopment nobody is saying keep it as it Is, but the other gripes - transport, ****hole area etc are complete drivel.

JimBHibees
27-08-2018, 10:07 AM
Murrayfield. Hampden and it's surrounding areas it's an utter dump. The national stadium should be in the capital. Won't happen though. The weegie press have went into overdrive about how it would affect Glasgow. Personally couldn't give two *****s how it affects them. Football isn't a sport that exists in Scotland purely to benefit Glasgow. As much as those who live their would like you to believe so.

Isnt the nicest of areas out the East side however the other side is a nice area with decent pubs and bars.

JimBHibees
27-08-2018, 10:10 AM
Linning the pockets of the egg chasers? You do realise that the reason Murrayfield is being considered is because it means more money for football?
Murrayfield means more money for the SFA to spend on the Scottish game.
You would rather Scottish football was poorer just so that rugby would be worse of as well? I don’t understand people who think like this.

Agree. Thats the line that Chick Young constantly comes out with, why give money to another sport. The bigger attendance would IMO mean there would be more money into the sport what with the increased attendance and not needing to pay for a Hampden overhaul.

Ozyhibby
27-08-2018, 10:26 AM
"Edinburgh or Glasgow"

Yes, that's what the choice is clearly about to a lot of people commenting on here, showing their prejudice- who clearly haven't got much of a clue. Hampden is in need of redevelopment nobody is saying keep it as it Is, but the other gripes - transport, ****hole area etc are complete drivel.

Redeveloping Hampden isn’t on the table, there is no money for that. It’s Hampden or Murrayfield as they both are.

GreenArmyyy!
27-08-2018, 10:38 AM
Although it’s a complete dump, I’ve got to say Hampden, the novelty of day trips through to Hampden, different pubs, fans travelling from all over, doesn’t wear off for me.

Whilst being convenient, having a cup final up at Murrayfield isn’t very exciting. Not to mention, unless it’s against the OF or Hearts, the stadium would probably never be full.

basehibby
27-08-2018, 10:50 AM
Purely because of the advantage it would give to Edinburgh vs Glasgow teams I'd go for Murrayfield. And I'm sure fans of North East Clubs would agree.

Taking off my partisan hat - Hampden has nostalgia value but not much else. It's capacity is low for a national stadium, it's transport connections are poor and it would need completely redeveloped anyway, costing probably £100 million at least to do a decent job - although I'm sure Scottish Football is long overdue a massive wedge from the lottery and the UK taxpayer in general to balance out the enormous investments in Wembley and Wales' Millenium Stadium.

Chic Murray
27-08-2018, 10:53 AM
Does the city really need the **** of western Scotland, and Ireland descending on it for big games at Hampden?

They don't know how to behave.

Ozyhibby
27-08-2018, 11:01 AM
Does the city really need the **** of western Scotland, and Ireland descending on it for big games at Hampden?

They don't know how to behave.

The city would welcome the massive amount of money these big games bring in.

LancashireHibby
27-08-2018, 11:10 AM
That last bit is not true. The are bidding for finals as well. Semi finals will go back to club grounds.

That might be true until the next Celtic-Rangers semi final, at least.

Andy.1875
27-08-2018, 01:11 PM
SFA only see Celtic and Rangers as any worthy clubs in Scotland. They will keep the cup finals in Glasgow.

Chic Murray
27-08-2018, 01:21 PM
The city would welcome the massive amount of money these big games bring in.

Define "massive amount". It's just that you have to consider how many people will be put off visiting if one of the bum cheeks and their neandrathal supporters are visiting.

There's also other considerations like the people of Edinburgh not having to be exposed to our cousins from the west and their quaint and almost archaic relationship with alcohol, and working toilets. Then think about the after party in the centre of town - not going to appeal to the Chans from Shanghai, or Myrtle and Hiram from Illinois, as they cross off another city on their trans world tour.

How do you think the folks in Manchester would feel about another cup final involving a team from Glasgow?

ninetyplus2
27-08-2018, 01:29 PM
Honestly, Murrayfield would be great and frankly it should be in the nations capital.

With that said as someone who lives not that far away from the ground i have nothing but dread towards the idea of 60000 celtic and sevco neds trashing the place if/when they are drawn together

Since90+2
27-08-2018, 01:51 PM
Define "massive amount". It's just that you have to consider how many people will be put off visiting if one of the bum cheeks and their neandrathal supporters are visiting.

There's also other considerations like the people of Edinburgh not having to be exposed to our cousins from the west and their quaint and almost archaic relationship with alcohol, and working toilets. Then think about the after party in the centre of town - not going to appeal to the Chans from Shanghai, or Myrtle and Hiram from Illinois, as they cross off another city on their trans world tour.

How do you think the folks in Manchester would feel about another cup final involving a team from Glasgow?

Good post. Edinburgh is a fantastic city and the potential of 70,000 old firm fans attending a game at Murrayfield is a not a nice one. The city centre areas with high concentration of pubs would be almost like no go zones, it would be carnage.

WHAM
27-08-2018, 03:48 PM
Redeveloping Hampden isn’t on the table, there is no money for that. It’s Hampden or Murrayfield as they both are.

Has anyone actually confirmed that redevelopment isn’t on the table? I know it’s unlikely but haven’t seen the SFA confirm this.

Watson19
27-08-2018, 03:52 PM
Unless they have a plan to fix Hampden then we need to move as Murrayfield is a better stadium and while it still has it flaws they are much less than Hampden which despite it's history isn't fit for it's purpose.

I think use Murrayfield temporarily, let them make relevent changes to Hampden bigger stadium, more tiers, closer to the pitch etc.. then we will have a proper national stadium rather than one that people hate. Plus Rugby would be getting a cut of the cash i'd imagine so better we have our own stadium.

hibbyfraelibby
27-08-2018, 04:02 PM
Has anyone actually confirmed that redevelopment isn’t on the table? I know it’s unlikely but haven’t seen the SFA confirm this.

As the stadium belongs to Queens Park any upgrade is their shout and they do not have the cash. There is no lottery money on offer and the SFA dont have the dosh. So no there is no upgrade of Hampden on the cards.

Its take it or leave it time. For all the money the SFA pay Queens Park none of it gets reinvested in Scottish Football. The only money that counts is the operating profit the SFA achieve and that will be greater at Murrayfield.

Hampden is a busted flush in a declining city. By 2035 the population of Edinburgh will gave passed that of the Wee Weedge. The future is in the east. Time to move on.

Betty Boop
27-08-2018, 05:30 PM
As the stadium belongs to Queens Park any upgrade is their shout and they do not have the cash. There is no lottery money on offer and the SFA dont have the dosh. So no there is no upgrade of Hampden on the cards.

Its take it or leave it time. For all the money the SFA pay Queens Park none of it gets reinvested in Scottish Football. The only money that counts is the operating profit the SFA achieve and that will be greater at Murrayfield.

Hampden is a busted flush in a declining city. By 2035 the population of Edinburgh will gave passed that of the Wee Weedge. The future is in the east. Time to move on.

Glasgow is a declining city ? Really ?

A Hi-Bee
27-08-2018, 05:39 PM

On a population basis yes, all indications are that Edinburgh will have the larger population although not so sure of which year this is anticipated.

Ozyhibby
27-08-2018, 05:44 PM
I think use Murrayfield temporarily, let them make relevent changes to Hampden bigger stadium, more tiers, closer to the pitch etc.. then we will have a proper national stadium rather than one that people hate. Plus Rugby would be getting a cut of the cash i'd imagine so better we have our own stadium.

There is no money to do all that and although rugby will charge us rent the SFA will still be paying less than they do for Hampden now. They will also be able to make more money from the larger capacity and far superior corporate hosting facilities at Murrayfield.

Chic Murray
27-08-2018, 05:46 PM

Let's just say, they are progressing at a painfully slow rate. :greengrin

Since90+2
27-08-2018, 05:46 PM
On a population basis yes, all indications are that Edinburgh will have the larger population although not so sure of which year this is anticipated.

The greater Glasgow area population is much larger than Edinburgh.

Hibster
27-08-2018, 05:47 PM

This is based on Glasgow's arbitrary council boundaries though, which mean large chunks of the city aren't included in their official population. Glasgow is clearly a much larger place than Edinburgh and will remain so, despite the official populations getting closer in size

Nakedmanoncrack
27-08-2018, 06:03 PM

Not true, the SFA have agreed in principle to buy the stadium from Queens Park, with intention of redeveloping it.

Billy Whizz
27-08-2018, 06:12 PM
What’s the TA’s view on this

offshorehibby
27-08-2018, 06:13 PM
Not true, the SFA have agreed in principle to buy the stadium from Queens Park, with intention of redeveloping it.

I always thought this was the idea, the stumbling block being Queens Park not willing to accept the figure offered by the SFA. If QP do not sell, they are in no position to re-develop or even upgrade.

I think i'd rather the Hampden option, a) Always a right good day oot & b) Rather not have 65,000 OF descend on Edinburgh.

IGRIGI
27-08-2018, 06:14 PM
Glasgow is also a "Yes" city, given Edinburgh is cringetastic yoon country it doesn't make any sense having O'Flower of Scotland belting out there, best kept for the glorious rendition of God Save the Queen for the yearly tattoo.

😚

Dancehibs
27-08-2018, 06:18 PM
I always thought this was the idea, the stumbling block being Queens Park not willing to accept the figure offered by the SFA. If QP do not sell, they are in no position to re-develop or even upgrade.

I think i'd rather the Hampden option, a) Always a right good day oot & b) Rather not have 65,000 OF descend on Edinburgh.
Why wouldn’t Queens sell the lot for housing and just play at lesser Hampden?

MoscowHibs
27-08-2018, 06:19 PM
The west have had things there own way for far to long, move it to the Capital.

I totally agree. Any national stadium should be in the capital city.

offshorehibby
27-08-2018, 06:22 PM
Why wouldn’t Queens sell the lot for housing and just play at lesser Hampden?

Sure QP got X amount of lottery money for work at Hampden, there's a clause it there they have to give all or most of money back if things were to change.

It still might happen, if a housing developer was to offer enough.

Smartie
27-08-2018, 06:22 PM
For all its faults, Hampden is the national stadium and we should play there.

Murrayfield isn't any better for watching football. It's a rugby stadium, and with the track, space behind goals etc it is just as bad as Hampden.

There should be a long term plan to knock Hampden down, rebuild it on the same spot and use the land it sits on much more effectively.

It's no worse a stadium to get into or away from than any other one that exists in a city. The train links are fine, and it's just a wander back into the city centre.

My bugbear with getting back from a big game in Glasgow is getting from Glasgow to Edinburgh, which always seems much more like hard work than it should, and should be easily rectified.

MWHIBBIES
27-08-2018, 06:24 PM
2 best days of my life have been at Hampden. I still get goosebumps walking in there.

***** stadium though, view is honking.

Smartie
27-08-2018, 06:30 PM
2 best days of my life have been at Hampden. I still get goosebumps walking in there.

***** stadium though, view is honking.

I was there for a course the week after 5-1. It was like returning to the scene of a crime and I'd have personally bulldozed it there and then.

Since we won the cup it has become a magical place, and I just love when it comes into view.

The first thing I do when I get into the ground is gaze towards David Gray's goals and have a wee chuckle to myself.

Dancehibs
27-08-2018, 06:33 PM
Sure QP got X amount of lottery money for work at Hampden, there's a clause it there they have to give all or most of money back if things were to change.

Ah I see. Cheers

stuart-farquhar
27-08-2018, 06:36 PM
The greater Glasgow area population is much larger than Edinburgh.

It depends on how you measure a city.

If you look at the central areas and the built up inner cities it gives a decent idea of the size.

Having smaller towns and ribbon developments nearby doesn't make a city bigger or"Greater"by virtue of that.

Both actual cities by that definition are broadly the same.

lord bunberry
27-08-2018, 06:43 PM

I was reading a while back that the fa are thinking about selling Wembley, they’d have to pay back a fortune if that was the case.

cabbageandribs1875
27-08-2018, 06:45 PM
Glasgow is also a "Yes" city, given Edinburgh is cringetastic yoon country it doesn't make any sense having O'Flower of Scotland belting out there, best kept for the glorious rendition of God Save the Queen for the yearly tattoo.

��

Murrayfield crowds sing a rousing rendition of FoS, sang with Gusto, all in tune, that totally outshines the football fans rendition, Fact

i still want Hampden though

offshorehibby
27-08-2018, 06:53 PM
I was reading a while back that the fa are thinking about selling Wembley, they’d have to pay back a fortune if that was the case.

I read about that as well, let it be run and owned by private company. More money for grass roots football in England. Wouldn't know the fine print in both deals but have read about the lottery money in the press as part of this ongoing process.

Ozyhibby
27-08-2018, 07:02 PM
For all its faults, Hampden is the national stadium and we should play there.

Murrayfield isn't any better for watching football. It's a rugby stadium, and with the track, space behind goals etc it is just as bad as Hampden.

There should be a long term plan to knock Hampden down, rebuild it on the same spot and use the land it sits on much more effectively.

It's no worse a stadium to get into or away from than any other one that exists in a city. The train links are fine, and it's just a wander back into the city centre.

My bugbear with getting back from a big game in Glasgow is getting from Glasgow to Edinburgh, which always seems much more like hard work than it should, and should be easily rectified.

You want Hampden but you want it knocked down and rebuilt?

Beyond tradition and people having some fond memories, nobody ever puts forward a positive case for choosing Hampden.
Murrayfield means more money for Scottish football, and goodness knows we need it.
I’d rather we spent money on developing the game here so that we might get to some tournaments again some day rather than spend many millions on real estate development in Glasgow.

Not In The Know
27-08-2018, 07:18 PM
Michael Stewart is arguing to have the "smaller" games moved round the country. The Next Albania game being used as an example. He says Tinycastle would be a better option..

Once and for all do we have a defining answer on this pitch of theirs. "Is it big enough for full internationals?"

Ozyhibby
27-08-2018, 07:21 PM
Michael Stewart is arguing to have the "smaller" games moved round the country. The Next Albania game being used as an example. He says Tinycastle would be a better option..

Once and for all do we have a defining answer on this pitch of theirs. "Is it big enough for full internationals?"

No it’s not but to be fair to Michael Stewart, Hearts are doing a great job of never mentioning the pitch size or capacity.

hibbyfraelibby
27-08-2018, 07:35 PM

No...it cannot be used for FIFA or UEFA organised tournament games at international level. It can however be used for freindlies. It does not even meet basic Cat C requirements whereas Easter Road meets Cat B requirements.

truehibernian
27-08-2018, 07:41 PM

Thought MS was excellent tonight on Sportsound and bang on the money. Darryl Broadfoot showing bizarre SFA and Glasgow bias, with very narrow minded and obscure arguments and some quite frankly laughable claims about how we couldn't police games through here (or inferring police would struggle - never mind the fact they police rugby and huge concerts there throughout the year), how players like Zidane have 'emotional attachments' to Hampden (jeez he scored a goal in a Champions League Final of course he'd have an attachment but I'm sure he has that with other grounds around the world too), how there is a 'membership that needs to be satisfied', etc, etc........yep Darryl, it's all about the suits and gravy train after all :aok:

As for re-developing Hampden, my younger brother's company was involved in the last refurbishment of the place and he said the lack of any real brief, poor management and overall extravagance was astonishing (for his part of the project) - and we want these guys to be in charge of another redevelopment :rolleyes:

Ditch the place, sell the ground, reinvest into grass roots football and build two more 'Oriams' in other regions (West and North), and take the national games around the country using Murrayfield, Ibrox and Parkhead for the 'big games' and Easter Road, Tynecastle, Pittodrie and Tannadice for smaller games, certain semi-finals of the cups depending on support of those qualifying, and national friendlies.

Smartie
27-08-2018, 07:42 PM
You want Hampden but you want it knocked down and rebuilt?

Beyond tradition and people having some fond memories, nobody ever puts forward a positive case for choosing Hampden.
Murrayfield means more money for Scottish football, and goodness knows we need it.
I’d rather we spent money on developing the game here so that we might get to some tournaments again some day rather than spend many millions on real estate development in Glasgow.

Yup, just like Easter Road or Wembley.

Knock down the old, decaying stadium that isn't fit to hold big events in the 21st century and put something in it's place that is.

You lose a few memories as it changes but the ritual remains much the same.

I always think Hampden makes really impractical use of a huge site, and I'm sure they could do much better.

The transport links to there are no worse than to anywhere else, and getting tens of thousands of people away from somewhere is always going to be challenging.

Ozyhibby
27-08-2018, 07:48 PM

Knock down the old, decaying stadium that isn't fit to hold big events in the 21st century and put something in it's place that is.

I always think Hampden makes really impractical use of a huge site, and I'm sure they could do much better.

The transport links to there are no worse than to anywhere else, and getting tens of thousands of people away from somewhere is always going to be challenging.

There is absolutely no money available for what you suggest and even if there was, there are far better things Scottish football could spend it on.

Smartie
27-08-2018, 07:55 PM
There is absolutely no money available for what you suggest and even if there was, there are far better things Scottish football could spend it on.

Yes, so it shouldn't be done right now, but we can start working towards it.

I don't believe that there is no money in Scottidh football and never will be. There is horrendous waste and an inability/ unwillingness to sell our "product" for what it is worth.

A decent national stadium shouldn't be too much for a country like Scotland to expect.

hibbyfraelibby
27-08-2018, 07:59 PM
Yes, so it shouldn't be done right now, but we can start working towards it.

I don't believe that there is no money in Scottidh football and never will be. There is horrendous waste and an inability/ unwillingness to sell our "product" for what it is worth.

A decent national stadium shouldn't be too much for a country like Scotland to expect.

We already have a more than decent International Stadium in Murrayfield and an embarassment at Hampden

Smartie
27-08-2018, 08:01 PM
We already have a more than decent International Stadium in Murrayfield and an embarassment at Hampden

Murrayfield is a rugby stadium and crap for watching football.

It wouldn't be any better than Hampden apart from maybe saving a few quid and being easier for me personally to get to and from.

lord bunberry
27-08-2018, 08:03 PM
Murrayfield crowds sing a rousing rendition of FoS, sang with Gusto, all in tune, that totally outshines the football fans rendition, Fact

i still want Hampden though
Sickens me listening to that.

Chic Murray
27-08-2018, 08:13 PM
Thought MS was excellent tonight on Sportsound and bang on the money. Darryl Broadfoot showing bizarre SFA and Glasgow bias, with very narrow minded and obscure arguments and some quite frankly laughable claims about how we couldn't police games through here (or inferring police would struggle - never mind the fact they police rugby and huge concerts there throughout the year), how players like Zidane have 'emotional attachments' to Hampden (jeez he scored a goal in a Champions League Final of course he'd have an attachment but I'm sure he has that with other grounds around the world too), how there is a 'membership that needs to be satisfied', etc, etc........yep Darryl, it's all about the suits and gravy train after all :aok:

As for re-developing Hampden, my younger brother's company was involved in the last refurbishment of the place and he said the lack of any real brief, poor management and overall extravagance was astonishing (for his part of the project) - and we want these guys to be in charge of another redevelopment :rolleyes:

Ditch the place, sell the ground, reinvest into grass roots football and build two more 'Oriams' in other regions (West and North), and take the national games around the country using Murrayfield, Ibrox and Parkhead for the 'big games' and Easter Road, Tynecastle, Pittodrie and Tannadice for smaller games, certain semi-finals of the cups depending on support of those qualifying, and national friendlies.

Excellent point. The last redevelopment of Hampden was less than 20 years ago. These guys don't sound like they should be given any more money to play with if they can't even build a stadium to last 20 years.

Been a lot of public money sunk into that place over the years.

hibbyfraelibby
27-08-2018, 08:15 PM

It wouldn't be any better than Hampden apart from maybe saving a few quid and being easier for me personally to get to and from.

I've watch football, rugby and NFL Europe at both. Murrayfield beats Hamdump hands down for Rugby, Football and NFL football.

The rake of the single tier stands at Hampden is too shallow to actually see over the guy in front of you.

You are so far from the pitch behind the goals you might as well be at Shawfield.

The South Stand seats at Hampden are actually further from th pitch than the ones at Murrayfield.

Murrayfield is two tiers no restricted view stands all round. You have seats with the right pitch, you are actually closer to the game from all equivalent stands.

Your attatchment to Hampden is like a guy from Rome making a pitch to keep and upgrade the Colosseum.

RoYO!
27-08-2018, 08:16 PM
Our national football team playing in a rugby stadium just doesn’t sit well with me. Hampden is truly guff tho. So it would need to be a total rebuild.

Chic Murray
27-08-2018, 08:23 PM
Our national football team playing in a rugby stadium just doesn’t sit well with me. Hampden is truly guff tho. So it would need to be a total rebuild.

I could be wrong, but the current world champions play in a rugby stadium (or a stadium where they play rugby and football to be precise). In fact, very few of the previous winners of the World Cup, or the Euros has a national stadium.

Malta has a national stadium though. So it seems that international success has nothing to do with where you play your games.

heretoday
27-08-2018, 08:34 PM
It would be a right kick in the pants for Glasgow to lose International matches.

Smartie
27-08-2018, 08:36 PM
I've watch football, rugby and NFL Europe at both. Murrayfield beats Hamdump hands down for Rugby, Football and NFL football.

The rake of the single tier stands at Hampden is too shallow to actually see over the guy in front of you.

You are so far from the pitch behind the goals you might as well be at Shawfield.

The South Stand seats at Hampden are actually further from th pitch than the ones at Murrayfield.

Murrayfield is two tiers no restricted view stands all round. You have seats with the right pitch, you are actually closer to the game from all equivalent stands.

Your attatchment to Hampden is like a guy from Rome making a pitch to keep and upgrade the Colosseum.

How good are the lower tiers at Murrayfield for watching football from behind the goals and on the same side as the track?

I was at the Hibs Barcelona game and I have to say my view was good, but then again I've had a decent view from the back of the North Stand at Hampden for some games.

The current Hampden shouldn't be the yardstick of quality - it should be an example of what is crap and unacceptable.

Eyrie
27-08-2018, 09:46 PM
How good are the lower tiers at Murrayfield for watching football from behind the goals and on the same side as the track?

I was at the Hibs Barcelona game and I have to say my view was good, but then again I've had a decent view from the back of the North Stand at Hampden for some games.

The current Hampden shouldn't be the yardstick of quality - it should be an example of what is crap and unacceptable.

The choice is between Murrayfield and the current Hampden, because the money isn't there to turn an example of what is crap and unacceptable into something that is acceptable, let alone desirable.

Cold logic indicates that the correct answer is either Murrayfield or taking the games round the country using existing stadia that clubs have invested in.

A blinkered mentality is the reason why the decision will be made to stay at the crap and unacceptable Hampden.

cabbageandribs1875
28-08-2018, 11:04 AM
Sickens me listening to that.

but it's our national anthem :shocked: or do you mean..?

cabbageandribs1875
28-08-2018, 11:05 AM
does anyone else think Queens Park secretly want the SFA out so they can get 25 Billion for the land :greengrin

Dancehibs
28-08-2018, 12:06 PM
sell Hamden and Murrayfield. take games around country and invest in more ORIAM facilities in Scotland.

CropleyWasGod
28-08-2018, 12:51 PM
sell Hamden and Murrayfield. take games around country and invest in more ORIAM facilities in Scotland.

SFA don't own Hampden.

Where would you take the rugby internationals, which regularly sell out?

HarpyHibby
28-08-2018, 01:16 PM
Surely the sensible option is to trial Murrayfield for a year. 4 x semi finals, 2 finals and a few internationals. Make our mind up after that.

Smartie
28-08-2018, 03:53 PM
SFA don't own Hampden.

Where would you take the rugby internationals, which regularly sell out?

Did they not play some form of rugby at Ibrox at one point?

Commonwealth games maybe?

(I'm not suggesting that we do this, just my memory playing tricks on me).

CropleyWasGod
28-08-2018, 03:55 PM
Did they not play some form of rugby at Ibrox at one point?

Commonwealth games maybe?

(I'm not suggesting that we do this, just my memory playing tricks on me).

Was the CG Sevens.

I was there, and felt a bit dirty. But I consoled myself by cheering on anyone with a vaguely-Irish-sounding name. :greengrin

lord bunberry
28-08-2018, 04:00 PM
but it's our national anthem :shocked: or do you mean..?
A huge amount of the people singing it then go home and support the union. They’re like 90 minute bigots from Glasgow without the offensiveness.

StevieC
28-08-2018, 04:36 PM

Hampden is a football stadium .. and crap for watching football. :hmmm:

I really can't decide on this issue.
Hampden is a tip. A renovation that was badly managed, 3 stands done on the cheap with all the proper cash getting ploughed into the South Stand hospitality and offices. The views from behind the goals are criminal and the facilities throughout not fit for purpose.
versus
The thought of hoards of OF fans tarnishing Murrayfield and surrounding areas.
:dunno:

stoneyburn hibs
28-08-2018, 04:40 PM
A huge amount of the people singing it then go home and support the union. They’re like 90 minute bigots from Glasgow without the offensiveness.

Ooft 😁

Smartie
28-08-2018, 04:43 PM
Hampden is a football stadium .. and crap for watching football. :hmmm:

I really can't decide on this issue.
Hampden is a tip. A renovation that was badly managed, 3 stands done on the cheap with all the proper cash getting ploughed into the South Stand hospitality and offices. The views from behind the goals are criminal and the facilities throughout not fit for purpose.
versus
The thought of hoards of OF fans tarnishing Murrayfield and surrounding areas.
:dunno:

I agree though.

The problem with moving to Murrayfield is that there is no scope for improvement. Football will always be a tenant, and you will be accepting that the lower tier behind the goals and on the track side of the ground will have a poor view forever. Is this in any way an improvement on the status quo?

I'd prefer to go to Ibrox, Parkhead and around the country to that.

No stadium will exist in its present form forever, every one will have to be replaced eventually, even if only bit by bit.

The previous redevelopment of Hampden was poor as the South Stand improvements didn't account for renovating the rest of the ground in future.

I know there's no cash to improve it right now, but at least by committing to a future at Hampden there could be a commitment to one day having a neutral home of Scottish football in a purpose-built stadium, which I do think would be an asset.

Ozyhibby
28-08-2018, 04:50 PM
I agree though.

The problem with moving to Murrayfield is that there is no scope for improvement. Football will always be a tenant, and you will be accepting that the lower tier behind the goals and on the track side of the ground will have a poor view forever. Is this in any way an improvement on the status quo?

I'd prefer to go to Ibrox, Parkhead and around the country to that.

No stadium will exist in its present form forever, every one will have to be replaced eventually, even if only bit by bit.

The previous redevelopment of Hampden was poor as the South Stand improvements didn't account for renovating the rest of the ground in future.

I know there's no cash to improve it right now, but at least by committing to a future at Hampden there could be a commitment to one day having a neutral home of Scottish football in a purpose-built stadium, which I do think would be an asset.

The reverse of that is that all future renovations to Murrayfield will be the responsibility of the SRU.
And the SFA has always been a tenant at Hampden anyway.

green day
28-08-2018, 04:52 PM
Friend of mine works with the Murrayfield guys on corporate stuff.

They say they are quietly confident.

Which probably means it's deffo staying at Hampden😀😀

Carheenlea
28-08-2018, 05:01 PM

If money was no object, you could build any stadium you like on the site at Hampden. As you say, it’s a huge site, and some fine stadiums have been built within confined spaces, but to have the stadium we do with what has been effectively a blank sheet of paper throughout various development is what really frustrates me. It’s still salvageable though, and a first class arena could easily still be built on the current site.

judas
28-08-2018, 06:09 PM
I love Edinburgh. But it’s not the place for our national football stadium.

Football fanbase is larger in the west.

I don’t think placing it here is fair.

green day
28-08-2018, 06:17 PM

Afraid that is total bollocks.

What about the football fanbase in Aberdeen, Dundee, Perth etc - do they have to continue getting up at 6 in the morning to travel through to play a Glasgow club in a semi final?

Do we continue having "Rangers" and "Celtic" ends at the "National Stadium"?

Or are you talking about Scotland matches? In which case the majority of Scotland fans dont live in the West.

**** the weegies, I am not a big fan of giving money to rugby, but moving it through here would certainly make things easier as a Hibby or Scotland fan.

kaimendhibs
28-08-2018, 09:27 PM
Should be Murrayfield. But I will smoke my own pubes if the rancid and corrupt GFA choose it

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

stuart-farquhar
30-08-2018, 06:01 AM

Aye right!!

JimBHibees
30-08-2018, 07:03 AM
Murrayfield is a rugby stadium and crap for watching football.i

how is murrayfield crap for football steeper stands meaning better viewing

JimBHibees
30-08-2018, 07:04 AM

Totally agree though there are full size indoor arenas at toryglen and ravenscraig

number9dream
30-08-2018, 07:20 AM
The SFA can’t sell Hampden because they don’t own it. They lease it from Queen’s Park. The whole process reeks of them applying pressure on QP, the council and government for a better rate / favourable deal to stay where they are.

Austinho
30-08-2018, 07:26 AM
I just decided to watch the highlights on YouTube of a Celtic Champions League match played at Murrayfield. It looked pretty crap on TV - the stands behind the goals are miles back, no much if it an improvement on Hampden. I’d be pretty gutted if we moved.

Smartie
30-08-2018, 09:54 AM
how is murrayfield crap for football steeper stands meaning better viewing

The view will be better from the top tiers and the (?) East Stand at Murrayfield.

There will be a dodgy view from the lower tiers behind the goals and on the track side - not a drastic improvement on Hampden if an improvement at all.

You don't get a bad seat anywhere in ER now as it is a purpose built football stadium with stands next to the pitch. Murrayfield and Hampden don't come close.

green day
30-08-2018, 10:38 AM
The view will be better from the top tiers and the (?) East Stand at Murrayfield.

There will be a dodgy view from the lower tiers behind the goals and on the track side - not a drastic improvement on Hampden if an improvement at all.

You don't get a bad seat anywhere in ER now as it is a purpose built football stadium with stands next to the pitch. Murrayfield and Hampden don't come close.

We did some corporate hospitality in Murrayfield, and while the facilities inside the main stand are good, the view due to the running track is crap. You are miles away at either end due to the runnoff area - although not as bad as Hampden ends.

I am unclear why this is such a binary choice when Easter Road, Tynecastle, Ibrox, Parkhead - are all better stadiums for viewing football than Hampden or Murrayfield?

Dashing Bob S
30-08-2018, 11:07 AM
I would love to see Hampden bulldozed into oblivion and an Amazon warehouse be constructed on that bland south Glasgow site to replace it.

hibbyfraelibby
30-08-2018, 11:20 AM
I would love to see Hampden bulldozed into oblivion and an Amazon warehouse be constructed on that bland south Glasgow site to replace it.

A man after my own heart although I wouldnt wish Glasgow on Amazon...the security cost of having guys running shotgun on their trucks would be a bit steep😉😉😉

CropleyWasGod
30-08-2018, 11:22 AM
A man after my own heart although I wouldnt wish Glasgow on Amazon...the security cost of having guys running shotgun on their trucks would be a bit steep😉😉😉

I wouldn't wish Amazon on Glasgow.:rolleyes:

Ozyhibby
30-08-2018, 11:29 AM
We did some corporate hospitality in Murrayfield, and while the facilities inside the main stand are good, the view due to the running track is crap. You are miles away at either end due to the runnoff area - although not as bad as Hampden ends.

I am unclear why this is such a binary choice when Easter Road, Tynecastle, Ibrox, Parkhead - are all better stadiums for viewing football than Hampden or Murrayfield?

Ibrox and Parkhead made a bid but were far too expensive.

hibbyfraelibby
30-08-2018, 11:44 AM

I was warming to your arguement until you mentioned the sub standard Tincastle which does not meet even the most basic FIFA or UEFA requirements and I dont just mean the pitch

Ozyhibby
30-08-2018, 11:56 AM
I was warming to your arguement until you mentioned the sub standard Tincastle which does not meet even the most basic FIFA or UEFA requirements and I dont just mean the pitch

I never mentioned Tynecastle??

green day
30-08-2018, 12:09 PM

Ok, cool I hadn't clocked that 👍

NAE NOOKIE
30-08-2018, 12:09 PM
Too poor, too wee, too stupid ……. All of the dynamics of the why Scotland cant be an independent country negative arguments applied to the future of a Scottish football stadium and just like with that discussion too many folk nodding their heads meekly in agreement.

We currently have a single London football club finding the money to build a stadium which makes both Hampden and Murrayfield look like relics from a post apocalyptic war zone and yet here we have a whole country ( a country which is allegedly football mad ) that apparently lacks the will or the intelligence to find a third of the money Spurs are spending which would be around £250,000,000.

With that kind of money you could entirely redevelop the east, west and north sides of Hampden and turn it into a fantastic football stadium with a capacity of around 60,000.

And before anybody tells me to enter the 'real world' ….. In that 'real world' a sport whose combined attendances on any given weekend wouldn't fill Tannadice managed to find enough money to turn its national stadium into a place that makes Hampden look like a joke. That same sport is actively looking to build another 10,000 capacity arena which will cost what? ten to fifteen million pounds?

This too poor, too wee, too stupid country managed to find over £400,000,000 to stage the Commonwealth games with no input whatsoever from the UK government …. one facility alone ( the veladrome ) cost £113,000,000 to build, with the enthusiasm and will to do it based solely on the fact that we had one guy who was good on a bike !!! …. Apart from cycling that venue is currently used for Tennis and Basketball …… How many folk on this forum, let alone this country have ever taken part in a competitive cycle race, tennis game or bloody Basketball match … how many folk on this forum or this country have ever been to watch a competitive cycle race, Tennis match or Basketball game?

Compared to those of us who have played a competitive football match or been to watch a competitive game the figures for the above are absolutely miniscule in comparison …. how is it then that we can chuck million upon million at sports 90% of us couldn't give a rats arse about and yet when it comes to the game we all love the will, the intelligence and the 'can do' attitude is so utterly and depressingly lacking !!!

Hampden all the way ……….. It can be done and it should be done.

Ozyhibby
30-08-2018, 02:36 PM
Too poor, too wee, too stupid ……. All of the dynamics of the why Scotland cant be an independent country negative arguments applied to the future of a Scottish football stadium and just like with that discussion too many folk nodding their heads meekly in agreement.

We currently have a single London football club finding the money to build a stadium which makes both Hampden and Murrayfield look like relics from a post apocalyptic war zone and yet here we have a whole country ( a country which is allegedly football mad ) that apparently lacks the will or the intelligence to find a third of the money Spurs are spending which would be around £250,000,000.

With that kind of money you could entirely redevelop the east, west and north sides of Hampden and turn it into a fantastic football stadium with a capacity of around 60,000.

And before anybody tells me to enter the 'real world' ….. In that 'real world' a sport whose combined attendances on any given weekend wouldn't fill Tannadice managed to find enough money to turn its national stadium into a place that makes Hampden look like a joke. That same sport is actively looking to build another 10,000 capacity arena which will cost what? ten to fifteen million pounds?

This too poor, too wee, too stupid country managed to find over £400,000,000 to stage the Commonwealth games with no input whatsoever from the UK government …. one facility alone ( the veladrome ) cost £113,000,000 to build, with the enthusiasm and will to do it based solely on the fact that we had one guy who was good on a bike !!! …. Apart from cycling that venue is currently used for Tennis and Basketball …… How many folk on this forum, let alone this country have ever taken part in a competitive cycle race, tennis game or bloody Basketball match … how many folk on this forum or this country have ever been to watch a competitive cycle race, Tennis match or Basketball game?

Compared to those of us who have played a competitive football match or been to watch a competitive game the figures for the above are absolutely miniscule in comparison …. how is it then that we can chuck million upon million at sports 90% of us couldn't give a rats arse about and yet when it comes to the game we all love the will, the intelligence and the 'can do' attitude is so utterly and depressingly lacking !!!

Hampden all the way ……….. It can be done and it should be done.

We probably could find the money from the public purse but we would have to cut spending elsewhere.
Spurs is a private business and are funding their stadium themselves.
The SFA does not have anywhere near as much money to spend as Spurs.

ancient hibee
30-08-2018, 05:55 PM
An interesting post suggesting the SFA sell Hampden and reinvest the money in grass roots etc.Unfortunately to sell something you have to own it and the SFA don't own it nor were they responsible for building it.

cabbageandribs1875
30-08-2018, 06:34 PM
why can't we get plenty hunners of millions from the national lottery like the welsh did :confused:

CropleyWasGod
30-08-2018, 06:38 PM
why can't we get plenty hunners of millions from the national lottery like the welsh did :confused:There's just not the case for it. If we had 2 dilapidated stadia, they might help out for a new one. But when we have 2 reasonable ones already, why would they?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

cabbageandribs1875
30-08-2018, 06:41 PM
There's just not the case for it. If we had 2 dilapidated stadia, they might help out for a new one. But when we have 2 reasonable ones already, why would they?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

well, just because :greengrin

hibbyfraelibby
30-08-2018, 06:42 PM
why can't we get plenty hunners of millions from the national lottery like the welsh did :confused:

"We" got £50m for Hampdump from the Lottery and look how they squandered it. Now you get heehaw from the Lottery for sporting infrastructure unless you are an Olympuc sport and winning medals.

cabbageandribs1875
30-08-2018, 06:45 PM
"We" got £50m for Hampdump from the Lottery and look how they squandered it. Now you get heehaw from the Lottery for sporting infrastructure unless you are an Olympuc sport and winning medals.

how much did petrie pocket :greengrin you're right though, that was some serious squandering :agree:

hibbyfraelibby
30-08-2018, 06:50 PM
how much did petrie pocket :greengrin you're right though, that was some serious squandering :agree:

At the time was it not Lex Gold?

NAE NOOKIE
30-08-2018, 09:35 PM
We probably could find the money from the public purse but we would have to cut spending elsewhere.
Spurs is a private business and are funding their stadium themselves.
The SFA does not have anywhere near as much money to spend as Spurs.

So are West Ham and the stadium they play in has had an eye watering amount of public money spent on it since the Olympics just so they could use it as a football ground, well over 100 million quid for a new roof and retractable seating, the vast majority of which came from public funds both locally and from the UK government …. all of it simply to accommodate a super rich EPL club who are also a private business, just like Spurs are.

As I said in my post. the SFA don't need to have as much money as Spurs who have spent £750,000,000 …. my guess is that a third of that amount would do the job.

Whether or not public money should be spent on sporting venues at all is a discussion to be had for sure, but the fact is that it is, all the time, and so long as that is the case the SFA are making an utter balls up of getting their finger into the bloody pie.

ancient hibee
30-08-2018, 09:36 PM
Think it was £15m not £50 and it went to Queens Park not the SFA.

Mixu62
31-08-2018, 05:58 AM
Saying there's no money to develop stadia in Scotland is sickening when you look at the money (public or private) spent purely on London in recent years. The billions spent not only on the Olympic stadium but the transport infrastructure around it, Wembley, arsenal and spurs. Surely we can get some funds from somewhere to provide a few decent grounds north of Watford!!

hibbyfraelibby
31-08-2018, 09:20 AM
Think it was £15m not £50 and it went to Queens Park not the SFA.

Just checked back and one of the awards was £23m. Plus the top ups by BT of £5m twice through the BDS arrangement.

JK Rolling
31-08-2018, 09:41 AM

Good one :troll:

JK Rolling
31-08-2018, 09:44 AM
Afraid that is total bollocks.

What about the football fanbase in Aberdeen, Dundee, Perth etc - do they have to continue getting up at 6 in the morning to travel through to play a Glasgow club in a semi final?

Do we continue having "Rangers" and "Celtic" ends at the "National Stadium"?

Or are you talking about Scotland matches? In which case the majority of Scotland fans dont live in the West.

**** the weegies, I am not a big fan of giving money to rugby, but moving it through here would certainly make things easier as a Hibby or Scotland fan.

Everything you say is spot on, in particular the piece in bold.

danhibees1875
31-08-2018, 09:44 AM
Good one :troll:

What part do you disagree with?

Bangkok Hibby
31-08-2018, 04:07 PM
Hampden. Don't want the unwashed hordes descending on Edinburgh every time they're in a final.

we are hibs
05-09-2018, 04:28 PM
Wasn't a decision due today?

05-09-2018, 04:30 PM
Murrayfield is definatly the better stadium but for me it's not a football stadium. It would certainly be more convenient for us Edinburgh folk getting to but you can't beat a day out at Hampden for a semi-final/final!

Lago
05-09-2018, 04:33 PM
It was never ever going to be anywhere but Glasgow, rest of the exercise pure PR.

Ozyhibby
05-09-2018, 04:42 PM
Wasn't a decision due today?

Both stadiums had until today to provide further information but a final decision won’t be made until after the Albania game.

Keith_M
05-09-2018, 05:35 PM
Any updates on this? Have the relevant bodies provided the requested information?

heretoday
05-09-2018, 11:04 PM
Hampden. Don't want the unwashed hordes descending on Edinburgh every time they're in a final.

We certainly don't want those types all over Corstorphine pishing in front gardens and brawling in the street.

Baader
05-09-2018, 11:08 PM

Totally agree. Hosting Celtic and especially the other neanderthal mob eight times a season (in Edinburgh) is enough.

proud_and_green
06-09-2018, 11:45 AM
I have to say I would prefer Murrayfield probably mainly for convenience but also to break with the weeg tradition.

One thought did occur though and that would be ticket pricing. Hampden prices are pretty reasonable, cup final was around £30 I think. Rugby matches at Murray field start around £40 for cheap low attendance games. I wonder if that pricing structure would be applied to football matches.

Can't remember what the hearts deal was but did they not subsidise ticket costs.... Probably have that wrong though.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

green&left
06-09-2018, 11:53 AM
I have to say I would prefer Murrayfield probably mainly for convenience but also to break with the weeg tradition.

One thought did occur though and that would be ticket pricing. Hampden prices are pretty reasonable, cup final was around £30 I think. Rugby matches at Murray field start around £40 for cheap low attendance games. I wonder if that pricing structure would be applied to football matches.

Can't remember what the hearts deal was but did they not subsidise ticket costs.... Probably have that wrong though.

Sadly fitba prices are catching up with rugby. Last years Scottish Cup Final was £35 and tomorrow's friendly against Belgium is £35 (north and south)

Bad Martini
06-09-2018, 11:56 AM
I personally vote in favour of Hampden; it's great having to travel for hours on occasion to and from the weej, being spat on and fired pelters from the locals (especially the follow followers of the huns, even when we aren't even playing them!) and racing like an arse to catch public transport to and from the inaccessible and very dated "national" stadium.

:rolleyes:

Don't like rugby but Murrayfield is the answer. We all like short travel. We've been to LOTS of finals and semi-finals over the last 20 years. We should be entitled to quick transport across the city, laughing at the mutants as we pass their hood' en-route to another final and hopefully more silverware. And it would be handy for upcoming internationals.

.......all this said, celtic and the rangers are based in Glasgow, as are the SFA. If murrayfield is choosen, well....there may be a shortage of beans and baths :greengrin:aok: (metaphorically speaking....!)

Ozyhibby
06-09-2018, 12:02 PM
Also Hibs would take a lot more to semi’s etc if it was at Murrayfield.

McD
06-09-2018, 05:22 PM
Totally agree. Hosting Celtic and especially the other neanderthal mob eight times a season (in Edinburgh) is enough.

Isn't it 4 times a season?

Danderhall Hibs
06-09-2018, 05:31 PM
No...it cannot be used for FIFA or UEFA organised tournament games at international level. It can however be used for freindlies. It does not even meet basic Cat C requirements whereas Easter Road meets Cat B requirements.

Are the under 21 qualifiers a UEFA organised tournament? They’re playing at tiny tonight. :dunno:

iwasthere1972
06-09-2018, 05:45 PM
Isn't it 4 times a season?

Us four times and Hearts four times.

Carheenlea
06-09-2018, 05:55 PM
I’d like to see a game played at Murrayfield with a full house out of curiosity to see what it’s like compared to Hampden.

jgl07
06-09-2018, 06:03 PM
Us four times and Hearts four times.

Assuming Hearts and Hibs make the top six?

Casey1875
06-09-2018, 06:05 PM
Should be Murrayfield. But I will smoke my own pubes if the rancid and corrupt GFA choose it

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

I'll bring the fag papers and lighter M.

iwasthere1972
06-09-2018, 06:18 PM
Assuming Hearts and Hibs make the top six?

Obviously.

Ozyhibby
07-09-2018, 10:27 PM
Only 20,000 at Hampden tonight. Public voting with their feet.

green day
07-09-2018, 10:37 PM

That kind of match should have been at ER

B.H.F.C
07-09-2018, 10:43 PM

Not so sure about that as far as the Hampden v Murrayfield debate goes.

How many would have been at Murrayfield for it tonight? Not that many, if any, more.

Game should have been in Edinburgh tonight. But not at Murrayfield.

SteveHFC
07-09-2018, 10:43 PM

Walking up to Hampden tonight you get that special feeling but at the same time the stadium is a complete *****hole.

Purple & Green
07-09-2018, 10:50 PM

Fiji autumn international adult tickets start st £16 and top whack is £38

Purple & Green
07-09-2018, 10:51 PM

Didn’t seem that many in the ground.

07-09-2018, 11:39 PM
Don't think either are the real answer.

Hampden - a poor stadium that the game tonight emphasis's how badly its designed and laid out. 20k just doesn't work at Hampden in the current layout.

Murrayfield - doesn't address Hampden's issues because it has its own problems with distance from the pitch. Add to that its even bigger and with 20k in there it would look even worse than Hampden did tonight.

Those in charge of our game and those responsible for designing Hampden royally buggered it up and have left us high and dry. Murrayfield works for Rugby (when it's full) but having been in the place for both rugby and football when not full it's sole-less and lacks atmosphere.

Maybe we should be tapping the government (in London) for the hand outs that were put into Wembley. A quick google says that £170m of public money was put into Wembley. That should be enough to sort out this mess. Just don't let Ann Budge lead the Design Team.

Ozyhibby
08-09-2018, 07:03 AM
Don't think either are the real answer.

Hampden - a poor stadium that the game tonight emphasis's how badly its designed and laid out. 20k just doesn't work at Hampden in the current layout.

Murrayfield - doesn't address Hampden's issues because it has its own problems with distance from the pitch. Add to that its even bigger and with 20k in there it would look even worse than Hampden did tonight.

Those in charge of our game and those responsible for designing Hampden royally buggered it up and have left us high and dry. Murrayfield works for Rugby (when it's full) but having been in the place for both rugby and football when not full it's sole-less and lacks atmosphere.

Maybe we should be tapping the government (in London) for the hand outs that were put into Wembley. A quick google says that £170m of public money was put into Wembley. That should be enough to sort out this mess. Just don't let Ann Budge lead the Design Team.

If we go for Murrayfield we won’t need to play every game there. If it looks like a 20k crowd than bring it to Easter road. More money for Hibs.
If we go with Hampden then every game will be there because the SFA will be committed to making it pay as they will be taking on all the overheads of running the stadium.

Carheenlea
08-09-2018, 11:07 AM
Looking through Twitter and once again, it’s Tynecastle and Pttodrie that was being suggested as a more suitable venue for last nights fixture. Is the supposed limitations in criteria of Tynecastle a Hibs.net myth? If not it’s bizzare that so many media types aren’t aware of it. As for Pittodrie, in its current state it is an embarrassment to take international football matches to such a decrepit and crumbling stadium.

Keith_M
08-09-2018, 12:20 PM
Maybe we should be tapping the government (in London) for the hand outs that were put into Wembley. A quick google says that £170m of public money was put into Wembley. That should be enough to sort out this mess....

The final figure, including government grants and lottery money, was actually over £200 million.

The cost of building the Allianz Arena in Munich, including massive underground car parks and a new road off the motorway to the stadium, was £300 million.

An Allianz Arena style stadium but with 70k+ seats, say in Strathclyde Park, two thirds of which paid for by the government would definitely have got my approval.

jgl07
08-09-2018, 01:20 PM
Looking through Twitter and once again, it’s Tynecastle and Pttodrie that was being suggested as a more suitable venue for last nights fixture. Is the supposed limitations in criteria of Tynecastle a Hibs.net myth? If not it’s bizzare that so many media types aren’t aware of it. As for Pittodrie, in its current state it is an embarrassment to take international football matches to such a decrepit and crumbling stadium.

Tynecastle is a bloody awful stadium. It's no Hibs-net myth that the playing area is too small and the run off areas likewise. They can't host UEFA matches beyond the Qualification Rounds. OK, it could be used for Friendly Internationals but they are being phased out anyway. It doesn't hold 20,000 despite all the disinformation from Hearts.

Pittordrie is a car crash of a stadium. It's wind lashed and much of it seems to be falling down. It's in the middle of nowhere, admittedly near where a lot of Scotland supporters live! Whatever happened to their new stadium?

marinello59
08-09-2018, 01:45 PM
Tynecastle is a bloody awful stadium. It's no Hibs-net myth that the playing area is too small and the run off areas likewise. They can't host UEFA matches beyond the Qualification Rounds. OK, it could be used for Friendly Internationals but they are being phased out anyway. It doesn't hold 20,000 despite all the disinformation from Hearts.

Pittordrie is a car crash of a stadium. It's wind lashed and much of it seems to be falling down. It's in the middle of nowhere, admittedly near where a lot of Scotland supporters live! Whatever happened to their new stadium?

Work at the site of Aberdeen’s new stadium started a couple of months ago.

Carheenlea
08-09-2018, 04:57 PM
Work at the site of Aberdeen’s new stadium started a couple of months ago.

Am I right in thinking you are based up in Aberdeen? If so, is the new stadium and move to new location being welcomed by the Aberdeen fans? Our fan base was largely against the proposed move to Straiton back in the day and this looks like it is a fair bit outwith the city centre. The stadium we have now was probably beyond our wildest dreams at that time, but there was still no appetite to relocate.

08-09-2018, 09:38 PM
The final figure, including government grants and lottery money, was actually over £200 million.

The cost of building the Allianz Arena in Munich, including massive underground car parks and a new road off the motorway to the stadium, was £300 million.

An Allianz Arena style stadium but with 70k+ seats, say in Strathclyde Park, two thirds of which paid for by the government would definitely have got my approval.

That would need vision. A stadium with a retratable pitch, not necessary as the new Tottenham Stadium but something that just works.
Schalke Arena - Capacity can be set between 54k and 61.6k - which has a retractable roof and pitch. Cost was €143m!!
https://www.designbuild-network.com/projects/veltinsarenagelsenki/

Promo video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_wSfrenwAY
And a Fans Stadium Tour - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmkf8R2TnJQ

Hard to believe this was developed in 2001 - puts both Hampden and Murrayfield to shame.
A stadium like this would service all our footballing needs. Build it with a flexible capacity, covering off seating areas when not in use.

Between games take the pitch out and you'd have the largest indoor concert/event venue in Scotland capable of hosting events 365 days a year as opposed to the 20 or so matches/concerts that Hampden host.

Something the SFA and the Scottish Government lack is vision - A Stadium like this would be a money maker if built and run properly.

marinello59
09-09-2018, 07:22 AM
Am I right in thinking you are based up in Aberdeen? If so, is the new stadium and move to new location being welcomed by the Aberdeen fans? Our fan base was largely against the proposed move to Straiton back in the day and this looks like it is a fair bit outwith the city centre. The stadium we have now was probably beyond our wildest dreams at that time, but there was still no appetite to relocate.

I’ve been surprised just how receptive they have been to this move, unlike with previous plans. The chosen location may have helped, it’s very close to the new bypass which opens soon so relatively easy to get to. It is still going to be a remote out of town venue though with no pubs etc nearby.

Moulin Yarns
09-09-2018, 02:23 PM
I’ve been surprised just how receptive they have been to this move, unlike with previous plans. The chosen location may have helped, it’s very close to the new bypass which opens soon so relatively easy to get to. It is still going to be a remote out of town venue though with no pubs etc nearby.

I looked at pubs in and around the new stadium site when it was in the planning stage. I think there are 3 within 20 minutes walk and 5 within 30 minutes.

marinello59
09-09-2018, 02:27 PM
I looked at pubs in and around the new stadium site when it was in the planning stage. I think there are 3 within 20 minutes walk and 5 within 30 minutes.

A lot further from pub to ground than Pittodrie then. I live near the site and you must walk very quickly.

Keith_M
09-09-2018, 04:00 PM
It's now eleven days since the SFA were originally meant to make their decision, and 4 days since they (presumably) received the further information they requested so....

Does anybody know when they're actually going to announce what that decision is?

hibbyfraelibby
09-09-2018, 04:48 PM
It's now eleven days since the SFA were originally meant to make their decision, and 4 days since they (presumably) received the further information they requested so....

Does anybody know when they're actually going to announce what that decision is?

They will wait until after the Albania game. Fact they havent announced Hampden as winner means its not and they are scrambling around looking for a way out.

Ozyhibby
09-09-2018, 05:00 PM

I think the pub thing is probably less of a concern these days than 20 odd years ago when we were considering straiton. I think a lot less people have have a drink before and after the game these days than in the past.
Maybe it’s just me getting older I think that because I rarely do myself now.

marinello59
09-09-2018, 05:05 PM
I think the pub thing is probably less of a concern these days than 20 odd years ago when we were considering straiton. I think a lot less people have have a drink before and after the game these days than in the past.
Maybe it’s just me getting older I think that because I rarely do myself now.

Aye, you’re probably right about that.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
09-09-2018, 06:08 PM

A figure for Scotland would be around 10% of that, so £20 odd million.

Ozyhibby
09-09-2018, 06:11 PM
A figure for Scotland would be around 10% of that, so £20 odd million.

If the govt in Westminster were spending £200m down south then we would have received about £20m through the Barnet formula. The money will have been spent.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
09-09-2018, 06:14 PM
If the govt in Westminster were spending £200m down south then we would have received about £20m through the Barnet formula. The money will have been spent.

True. Plus the SFA have probably received equivalent grants to get hampden looking as it is just now.

green&left
10-09-2018, 08:11 AM

They've asked for another 7 days

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6149447/SFA-Queens-Park-close-historic-4m-Hampden-buyout-Lord-Haughey-offers-one-donation.html

Steven79
10-09-2018, 08:26 AM
They've asked for another 7 days

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6149447/SFA-Queens-Park-close-historic-4m-Hampden-buyout-Lord-Haughey-offers-one-donation.html

It was always going to be the case, coupled with the joke of a manager they appointed I'm asking for my money back on my SSC membership as we are being run by idiots.

Iain G
10-09-2018, 08:38 AM

Why do we need a national football stadium? Are there not enough options in the country that we can be flexible over where international games, cup finals and the likes are played? Surely the SFA only need an office somewhere to do what they do?

bigwheel
10-09-2018, 08:38 AM
It was always going to be the case, coupled with the joke of a manager they appointed I'm asking for my money back on my SSC membership as we are being run by idiots.

Man...you must have had a nightmare journey with Hibs, if these things are making you cancel your supporters club membership. :wink:

Steven79
10-09-2018, 09:01 AM
Why do we need a national football stadium? Are there not enough options in the country that we can be flexible over where international games, cup finals and the likes are played? Surely the SFA only need an office somewhere to do what they do?

They never had any intention of using Murrayfield it was all about getting Hampden on the cheap.

As if they would ever come to the East Coast! Scottish football is corrupt and rotten to the core...

Steven79
10-09-2018, 09:05 AM
Man...you must have had a nightmare journey with Hibs, if these things are making you cancel your supporters club membership. :wink:

We had a chance for a fresh start with a manager who would take us forward instead we get a man who either has health issues and/or a drink problem and is a dinosaur that nobody else would touch with a barge pole.

As for the stadium issues well deep down we all knew they would make this choice....

bigwheel
10-09-2018, 09:29 AM
We had a chance for a fresh start with a manager who would take us forward instead we get a man who either has health issues and/or a drink problem and is a dinosaur that nobody else would touch with a barge pole.

As for the stadium issues well deep down we all knew they would make this choice....

There is no easy Stadium answer..Hampden is just as good as anywhere else..and as for McLeish, a couple of wins in the next games and people will be looking for tickets again.

Being a Hibs and Scotland fan you must used to the occasional highs and lots of frustrating lows by now? That comes with the territory :aok:

GreenCastle
10-09-2018, 09:40 AM
They never had any intention of using Murrayfield it was all about getting Hampden on the cheap.

As if they would ever come to the East Coast! Scottish football is corrupt and rotten to the core...

Yup and some random guy has now come up with the money to help buy the stadium.

Seems like a long term plan right there..

I don’t think Murrayfield would be that good for football but they will need to sort the stands behind the goals at Hampden and improve the North stand if they really want to improve the stadium but no idea where they will get the ££ from.

Steven79
10-09-2018, 09:44 AM
Yup and some random guy has now come up with the money to help buy the stadium.

Seems like a long term plan right there..

I don’t think Murrayfield would be that good for football but they will need to sort the stands behind the goals at Hampden and improve the North stand if they really want to improve the stadium but no idea where they will get the ££ from.

We could use the money for far better things than a dump of a ground that needs knocked down and built back up again to make it the kind of ground that it needs to be.

Devonhibs
10-09-2018, 09:55 AM
It will be Hampden. This is nothing more than forcing Queens Park to sell them the ground cheaply IMHO obviously.

JimBHibees
10-09-2018, 10:13 AM

Totally agree.

Bristolhibby
10-09-2018, 10:15 AM
It will be Hampden. This is nothing more than forcing Queens Park to sell them the ground cheaply IMHO obviously.

This, it was so obvious.

Thing is, this isn’t a bulldoze and start again. It’s the same Hampden, just owned by the SFA rather than Queens Park.

I haven’t been to Hampden in a while, it’s more to do with the week of football rather than some inherent dislike for Hampden.

There’s just no way I’m coming up from the West Country on a Monday night.

If the game was 15:00 on a Saturday, I’d probably go.

When did we last have a Saturday home game? Was it the England game last year?

J

Diclonius
10-09-2018, 10:28 AM
They are desperately trying to come up with a reason, ANY reason, not to move to Murrayfield. They'll delay it indefinitely until something comes up.

Phil MaGlass
10-09-2018, 10:34 AM
That would need vision. A stadium with a retratable pitch, not necessary as the new Tottenham Stadium but something that just works.
Schalke Arena - Capacity can be set between 54k and 61.6k - which has a retractable roof and pitch. Cost was €143m!!

Hard to believe this was developed in 2001 - puts both Hampden and Murrayfield to shame.
A stadium like this would service all our footballing needs. Build it with a flexible capacity, covering off seating areas when not in use.

Between games take the pitch out and you'd have the largest indoor concert/event venue in Scotland capable of hosting events 365 days a year as opposed to the 20 or so matches/concerts that Hampden host.

Something the SFA and the Scottish Government lack is vision - A Stadium like this would be a money maker if built and run properly.

Schalkes stadium, facilities, fanshop,etc, etc,,,, are bloody amazing, was there for Schalke v PSG many moons ago. :thumbsup:

Onion
10-09-2018, 10:57 AM

They’ll never move from Hamdump. It’s all posturing and designed to get the cheapest deal possible. It’s what Weegies do. Anyone thinking the home of Scottish football will end up in Edinburgh is 😜

Smartie
10-09-2018, 11:05 AM
This, it was so obvious.

Thing is, this isn’t a bulldoze and start again. It’s the same Hampden, just owned by the SFA rather than Queens Park.

I haven’t been to Hampden in a while, it’s more to do with the week of football rather than some inherent dislike for Hampden.

There’s just no way I’m coming up from the West Country on a Monday night.

If the game was 15:00 on a Saturday, I’d probably go.

When did we last have a Saturday home game? Was it the England game last year?

J

It's the kick off times that have done for me.

In spite of all of the obvious negatives, I love a big game in Glasgow at 3pm whether it is Hibs or Scotland. Decent bevvy before and after with the day after to recover.

It doesn't happen often enough.

Juniper Greens
10-09-2018, 11:31 AM
Looking at today's reports, it looks like we will be staying at Humpdump.

With that in mind, here's an interesting one...Google Stuttgart's Stadium in the late 90s, look familiar? Can we just nick the plans for that one, as their stadium looks superb now, and I think they salvaged as much as possible from that one.

Keith_M
10-09-2018, 12:55 PM
They are desperately trying to come up with a reason, ANY reason, not to move to Murrayfield. They'll delay it indefinitely until something comes up.

:agree:

I have never believed that a move away from Hampden was ever on the cards. As others have said, this appears to be a long running negotiating tactic with Queens Park over how much money they have to pay for Hampden.

Ozyhibby
10-09-2018, 09:17 PM
17k at Hampden tonight. Fans really showing the love for it.[emoji23]

GreenCastle
10-09-2018, 09:52 PM

Yup - though I guess they have the Hydro but for really big concerts.

The thing is I actually think the Scottish fans would create a really good atmosphere at a better designed stadium plus more fans would want to attend if better facilities and views.

At least if they stay in Glasgow follow up with some news they are going to sort the stadium.

danhibees1875
11-09-2018, 08:39 AM
17k at Hampden tonight. Fans really showing the love for it.[emoji23]

There'd have been people locked out of Murrayfield. :agree:

Ozyhibby
11-09-2018, 08:55 AM
There'd have been people locked out of Murrayfield. :agree:

I bet they manage to sell more tickets for their up coming rugby match v Fiji. When rugby is getting larger crowds than football in Scotland then you have a serious problem. And it’s not just the teams performance. The SFA are clearly as hopeless at marketing as they are at everything else.

danhibees1875
11-09-2018, 09:05 AM
I bet they manage to sell more tickets for their up coming rugby match v Fiji. When rugby is getting larger crowds than football in Scotland then you have a serious problem. And it’s not just the teams performance. The SFA are clearly as hopeless at marketing as they are at everything else.

I think you'll be 100% correct - but I'm not sure what the solution is, and I don't think it's stadium related.

The rugby seems to be more of a unique experience, I know people with very little interest in it that will travel through from Fife for a day out at the rugby/in Edinburgh. It also has quite a large following in Edinburgh (which isn't reflected at club level; again I think it's the "experience" mantra that gets people to the interntionals).

It's probably also seen as a very family friendly affair, and I imagine more people will take their kids (a Saturday afternoon kick-off and £1 tickets for under-12s being a big help!).

I'd agree that games like last night should be played at ER/Tynie or an equivelant sized stadium in Glasgow(if that exists).