PDA

View Full Version : edinburgh or glasgow

Pages : 1 [2]

green&left
11-09-2018, 09:07 AM
I bet they manage to sell more tickets for their up coming rugby match v Fiji. When rugby is getting larger crowds than football in Scotland then you have a serious problem. And it’s not just the teams performance. The SFA are clearly as hopeless at marketing as they are at everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're can't compare a Saturday afternoon kick-off to a Monday night.

Phil MaGlass
11-09-2018, 09:11 AM
I travel back for the rugby Internationals regularly with a group of mates and its not for the novelty factor, theres a great atmosphere and travel is better to M,field than glasgow, stadium is also 10 xs better, Its a better experience all round. been to more rugby internationals than fitba the last few years

MWHIBBIES
11-09-2018, 09:16 AM
I bet they manage to sell more tickets for their up coming rugby match v Fiji. When rugby is getting larger crowds than football in Scotland then you have a serious problem. And it’s not just the teams performance. The SFA are clearly as hopeless at marketing as they are at everything else.

Ridiculous comparison because Rugby fans turn up 4 times a year for a party and a pissup. Most football fans actually see their clubs every week as well spending thousands a year doing so.

Diclonius
11-09-2018, 09:58 AM
It's d-day.

Ozyhibby
11-09-2018, 10:03 AM
Ridiculous comparison because Rugby fans turn up 4 times a year for a party and a pissup. Most football fans actually see their clubs every week as well spending thousands a year doing so.

Maybe it’s time we marketed the football that way. Scotland only have about 4/5 home games a year as well.

Smartie
11-09-2018, 10:04 AM
If Scotland played someone at rugby on a Monday night at a time when the team wasn't really capturing the public's attention, in a new competition that a few folk hadn't quite got their head round yet they'd be lucky to break five figures.

I'm one of the stay away fans and like to be critical of the SFA but I have a bit of sympathy for them here. All the marketing in the world wouldn't have got me to that match last night. Football in becoming increasingly about the armchair fan, and that's what I'm increasingly becoming.

Ozyhibby
11-09-2018, 10:06 AM
It's d-day.

3pm

Lago
11-09-2018, 12:46 PM
Was there ever any doubt, Glasgow it is.

cwilliamson85
11-09-2018, 12:50 PM
BBC reporting staying at Hampden but officially announced at 3pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45344645

SquashedFrogg
11-09-2018, 12:53 PM

You do realise that there are rugby clubs with fans outwith internationals? Who travel every week and spend a lot of money doing so?

johnbc70
11-09-2018, 12:55 PM
Was there ever any doubt, Glasgow it is.

In mind the whole exercise was a sham, they were never going to Murrayfield. The SRU fell for it.

MWHIBBIES
11-09-2018, 01:03 PM
You do realise that there are rugby clubs with fans outwith internationals? Who travel every week and spend a lot of money doing so?How many actually do that though?

2 football clubs in Scotland get more than the national team at home, 3 others get nearly half. As far as I know its nothing even close to that for rugby club sides.

When you follow rugby and can only attend 4/5 games a year of course you go. When you follow football and can go to 50 odd its less likely you care about the national team on a friday night. Also attending 50 clubs games makes you care about your club considerably more.

SquashedFrogg
11-09-2018, 01:15 PM
How many actually do that though?

2 football clubs in Scotland get more than the national team at home, 3 others get nearly half. As far as I know its nothing even close to that for rugby club sides.

When you follow rugby and can only attend 4/5 games a year of course you go. When you follow football and can go to 50 odd its less likely you care about the national team on a friday night. Also attending 50 clubs games makes you care about your club considerably more.

Numbers are irrelevant. There are a large number of football clubs with smaller support than rugby who love both league and international.

It could also be said that if you go to 50 matches you might care more about the national team.

Perhaps Rubgy internationals are promoted and perceived as fun, exciting, attractive events where even non-rugby fans go for good atmosphere and the whole experience? Or maybe its the location? Very quickly you're in the city centre on a Friday or Saturday night?

Who knows. I just think people don't enjoy the experience around Hampden. Dead atmosphere, crap location, poor facilities etc

All in my very humble opinion of course sir.

Steven79
11-09-2018, 01:28 PM
Numbers are irrelevant. There are a large number of football clubs with smaller support than rugby who love both league and international.

It could also be said that if you go to 50 matches you might care more about the national team.

Perhaps Rubgy internationals are promoted and perceived as fun, exciting, attractive events where even non-rugby fans go for good atmosphere and the whole experience? Or maybe its the location? Very quickly you're in the city centre on a Friday or Saturday night?

Who knows. I just think people don't enjoy the experience around Hampden. Dead atmosphere, crap location, poor facilities etc

It's all true and they have made a massive error and proved that the fans mean less to them than staying in Glasgow.

Unless they have plans to fix the problems with the ground and improve the whole experience inside and outside the ground then we should just boycott Hampden to force them to change their minds.

Keith_M
11-09-2018, 01:33 PM
I have never believed that a move away from Hampden was ever on the cards. As others have said, this appears to be a long running negotiating tactic with Queens Park over how much money they have to pay for Hampden.

And as we all suspected, this is exactly what happened.

green day
11-09-2018, 01:36 PM
It's all true and they have made a massive error and proved that the fans mean less to them than staying in Glasgow.

Unless they have plans to fix the problems with the ground and improve the whole experience inside and outside the ground then we should just boycott Hampden to force them to change their minds.

Its happening already, look at the last 2 attendances. I have just come off a twitter spat with some twat celtc fan whos rationale was that Rangers and Celtic have big attendances so keeping it in Glasgow is the right thing.

I can only assume the SFA came up with the same crap rationale.

Ozyhibby
11-09-2018, 01:40 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180911/eae37fbeb9350b8f30db7e4373478258.png

Keith_M
11-09-2018, 01:43 PM
... then we should just boycott Hampden to force them to change their minds.

I already boycott every game at Hampden that does not involve Hibs.

Keith_M
11-09-2018, 01:45 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180911/eae37fbeb9350b8f30db7e4373478258.png

I can't read that, Ozy

Diclonius
11-09-2018, 01:49 PM
Summary: "We're buying Hampden from Queen's Park and don't want to redevelop it but we'll put in a wee noncommital comment in the press release so you'll think we might. Move along, nothing to see here."

Steven79
11-09-2018, 01:57 PM
Its happening already, look at the last 2 attendances. I have just come off a twitter spat with some twat celtc fan whos rationale was that Rangers and Celtic have big attendances so keeping it in Glasgow is the right thing.

I can only assume the SFA came up with the same crap rationale.

Yeah I've been following that on twitter.

Don't they know most of their fans come from all over Scotland??

Phil MaGlass
11-09-2018, 02:00 PM
Maybe they have bought it to sell it? Bloody hope so. Ah well, back for the rugby in November then...

Lago
11-09-2018, 02:41 PM
Summary: "We're buying Hampden from Queen's Park and don't want to redevelop it but we'll put in a wee noncommital comment in the press release so you'll think we might. Move along, nothing to see here."
Redevelopment never happen they can't afford it.

lord bunberry
11-09-2018, 02:58 PM
With a bit of luck they’ll take a bit of notice of how the SRU go about promoting games. Hampden is an awful stadium to go to if you want to have a few pints before the game in the surrounding area. They should do what they do at the rugby and have fan zones in or around the stadium.

Ozyhibby
11-09-2018, 03:07 PM
Redevelopment never happen they can't afford it.

Maxwell mentioned doing what Stuttgart have done at their stadium at the press conference. He never mentioned that it cost €63m though.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180911/7643e448185d8c368444a954336bc6e8.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180911/d2a523e2badb0c55589e7a5dab9921ab.jpg

green&left
11-09-2018, 03:08 PM
With a bit of luck they’ll take a bit of notice of how the SRU go about promoting games. Hampden is an awful stadium to go to if you want to have a few pints before the game in the surrounding area. They should do what they do at the rugby and have fan zones in or around the stadium.

With the dinosaurs at police scotland and the snp I can't see licences being granted. The huns got rejected for a one a few weeks back.

AltheHibby
11-09-2018, 03:12 PM
On the plus side, just picture the chaos around Murrayfield when the bigot stepbrothers are playing.

Now Hampden is a good choice. 👍

MWHIBBIES
11-09-2018, 03:14 PM

Numbers are not irrelevant, no one gives a **** about Rugby in this country other than when Scotland are playing, of course that brings out big crowds. Football is constant, every weekend, massive numbers, so when they all do something else with their weekend instead of football, the Scotland (football team) get a poorer crowd.

Maybe Rugby is perceived as fun, thats fine. If you wanna take the family, have a drink etc. Doubt half the crowd could list the starting lineup though. Its a fun day out that happens rarely and attracts big crowds. Football is a regular thing that attracts varying crowds.

Scotland vs England in football would attract many times the crowd of Scotland vs England in Rugby.

we are hibs
11-09-2018, 03:15 PM
Where are they finding the money to redevelop Hampden? Didn't they have to get someone to pay half the money just to buy the dump? So unless they have secret money stored away no one knows about then the SFA have done their usual and lied. Will rod petrie be putting his name to these lies?

Lago
11-09-2018, 03:17 PM
With the dinosaurs at police scotland and the snp I can't see licences being granted. The huns got rejected for a one a few weeks back.
Guaranteed it would never happen, there is such a lack of vision coming from the SFA, McLeish, Hampden it is like looking at an old black & white photograph from yester year, depressing.:confused:

SirDavidsNapper
11-09-2018, 03:23 PM
Where are they finding the money to redevelop Hampden? Didn't they have to get someone to pay half the money just to buy the dump? So unless they have secret money stored away no one knows about then the SFA have done their usual and lied. Will rod petrie be putting his name to these lies?

:agree: It's all a shambles. Washing my hands with it all. They can do what they want from now on i won't be giving it much of my attention anymore. The SFA had a great opportunity to make a huge step forward. Instead we're left with a rubbish stadium the SFA are paying QP five million quid for when they're skint . No funds to renovate. They'll probably have to ask Celtic and Rangers for permission to redevelop "their" ends anyway. Laughing stock.

Hibernian Verse
11-09-2018, 03:30 PM
They must have some backing from somewhere if they want to redevelop it. Tax payers money...one use of it I'm happy to get behind if it improves my days out!

brythehibby
11-09-2018, 03:37 PM
They relied on £2.5m Willie Haughey in order just to buy it, there is not a chance in hell they are going to spend any money redeveloping it.

This has all been a carve up to get it at a reduced price - and it's worked.

Ozyhibby
11-09-2018, 03:37 PM
https://bit.ly/2NxKqwo

Scott Brown wades in.

Ozyhibby
11-09-2018, 03:39 PM
https://twitter.com/stvsport/status/1039535489991303168?s=21

Billy Whizz
11-09-2018, 03:53 PM
I’m pleased with today’s decision. Hopefully we can look forward in a few years to an improved Hampden

green day
11-09-2018, 03:56 PM
https://twitter.com/stvsport/status/1039535489991303168?s=21

Good on Broony, just saying what many of us think.

Might just shut up some of those "keep it at Hampden" Celtic fans that are all joyous on twitter right now

green day
11-09-2018, 03:58 PM
I’m pleased with today’s decision. Hopefully we can look forward in a few years to an improved Hampden

What we can look forward to is the SFA hocking themselves to whatever bank will lend them the vast amounts of cash it will take to make Hampden fit for purpose.

This means that there will be less (far, far less) money for youth / grassroots or any other football you care to mention.

Just because they couldnt give up being in the south side of Glasgow.

Steven79
11-09-2018, 04:00 PM
What we can look forward to is the SFA hocking themselves to whatever bank will lend them the vast amounts of cash it will take to make Hampden fit for purpose.

This means that there will be less (far, far less) money for youth / grassroots or any other football you care to mention.

And they will put up ticket prices to pay for it....

Billy Whizz
11-09-2018, 04:07 PM

Maybe we can wait and see their plans
New bright CEO just in place, give him a chance

Heckys Wheel
11-09-2018, 04:26 PM

There’s nothing bright about Ian Maxwell!

green day
11-09-2018, 04:26 PM

Happy to wait and see the plans :aok:

As for Maxwell, I heard his pathetic interview where he denied that the SFA had failed children re abuse enquiry - he fills me with no confidence at all.

InchHibby
11-09-2018, 04:37 PM
And as we all suspected, this is exactly what happened.

I totally agree with your original comment, I said it then too, never ever were they moving from Hampden, the only national stadium where two clubs actually have an end, disgusting.

delbert
11-09-2018, 04:45 PM

That’s about the size of it, the SFA have zero coffers in the bank after 20 years in the football wilderness and far from ticket prices to watch a substandard product falling, they can only continue to rise for those mentally challenged enough to pay them. It’s also interesting that at a time when we look to be about to ‘redevelop’ Hampden for a second time after the first time went so well, the richest FA in the world, our closest neighbours, are thinking about selling Wembley and taking their national team on the road around the country and ditching their national stadium.

Now obviously the SFA has a history of making bold, inspiring and ground breaking deals, particularly on finance, so obviously there is nothing at all we can learn, or even take a steer from, an FA whose own administrators who have been such abject failures in promoting their game over the last 30 or so years. We are so lucky to have in situ the visionaries who have run Scottish football so successfully for so many years, taking our game from strength to strength, triumph to lofty triumph, and we can once again be sure that our esteemed blazers have taken inspiration from Ernie Walkers imaginative think tank and put us back right at the forefront of world football - all is well !

Smartie
11-09-2018, 05:24 PM
That’s about the size of it, the SFA have zero coffers in the bank after 20 years in the football wilderness and far from ticket prices to watch a substandard product falling, they can only continue to rise for those mentally challenged enough to pay them. It’s also interesting that at a time when we look to be about to ‘redevelop’ Hampden for a second time after the first time went so well, the richest FA in the world, our closest neighbours, are thinking about selling Wembley and taking their national team on the road around the country and ditching their national stadium.

Now obviously the SFA has a history of making bold, inspiring and ground breaking deals, particularly on finance, so obviously there is nothing at all we can learn, or even take a steer from, an FA whose own administrators who have been such abject failures in promoting their game over the last 30 or so years. We are so lucky to have in situ the visionaries who have run Scottish football so successfully for so many years, taking our game from strength to strength, triumph to lofty triumph, and we can once again be sure that our esteemed blazers have taken inspiration from Ernie Walkers imaginative think tank and put us back right at the forefront of world football - all is well !

The first thing they should do is ignore everything that happens South of the border.

We're not England. We don't have 50m plus people. We don't have clubs with the appeal of the big English clubs.

What we do have going for us is actually an awful lot, but by rolling out policies that have worked in England (which we have been very guilty of in the past) and wondering why they don't work in a far smaller country with far less resources is simply not going to cut it.

barcahibs
11-09-2018, 07:09 PM
I don't like that 1 or 2 rich guys get to basically over ride everyone's views. Lord Haughey was on the radio saying how he couldn't bear to see the national stadium move out of Glasgow.

The other point that seems to have quickly been glossed over is that the deal also includes taking on the £19 million of debt still owing from the last redevelopment. So that needs paid before they can even start re-redeveloping to make the place fit for purpose.

I also heard some genius spokesman for the SFA saying that Hampden was only hard to get to because no trains or buses went there and so that shouldnt be held against it ... It was the weirdest argument I've ever heard...

You can't hold the poor transport links against it because they're only the fault of the poor transport links??

HibbiesandtheBaddies
11-09-2018, 07:11 PM
Game's a bogey.

Col2
11-09-2018, 07:33 PM

The SFA had years to pull together a plan that showed what they would do if they were to redevelop Hampden. They rocked up today and announced a deal to buy the shambolic ground after getting the begging bowl out to part pay for it. Maxwell admitted “this is start of a journey to improve the infrastructure” START of that journey. They have nomplan and no clue how to
Do this.

Today was about getting control of the ground and keeping the fancy offices in Glasgow and the status quo. I am willing to bet we will not hear one single announcement about redevelopment for over a year at least. Not one single update.

Ozyhibby
11-09-2018, 07:35 PM
The SFA had years to pull together a plan that showed what they would do if they were to redevelop Hampden. They rocked up today and announced a deal to buy the shambolic ground after getting the begging bowl out to part pay for it. Maxwell admitted “this is start of a journey to improve the infrastructure” START of that journey. They have nomplan and no clue how to
Do this.

Today was about getting control of the ground and keeping the fancy offices in Glasgow and the status quo. I am willing to bet we will not hear one single announcement about redevelopment for over a year at least. Not one single update.

I’ll go even further and say it won’t happen. 10 years time and Hampden will still be exactly the same.

Diclonius
11-09-2018, 07:52 PM
I’ll go even further and say it won’t happen. 10 years time and Hampden will still be exactly the same.

50 years time and Hampden will still be the same.

Smartie
11-09-2018, 08:00 PM
Do this.

How much money do you think the already-skint SFA should have ploughed into consultations and drawing plans to redevelop a ground that they might never own or get the go-ahead to redevelop?

Surely securing ownership of the stadium was the logical first step?

Now they've worked out how to get ownership of it they can work out how to redevelop it, and fund that redevelopment?

Ozyhibby
11-09-2018, 08:29 PM
How much money do you think the already-skint SFA should have ploughed into consultations and drawing plans to redevelop a ground that they might never own or get the go-ahead to redevelop?

Surely securing ownership of the stadium was the logical first step?

Now they've worked out how to get ownership of it they can work out how to redevelop it, and fund that redevelopment?

If you are going to develop property then you should know how much it’s going to cost to do the work before you buy the property.

Hulk1875
11-09-2018, 08:58 PM
Very rarely I put stuff here sober always after a drink like I am now. For easines Murrayfield would be brilliant but it’s not the true home of football. It’s just as bad a stadium for football as Hampden so keep it we’re it is

GreenCastle
11-09-2018, 09:25 PM
I don't like that 1 or 2 rich guys get to basically over ride everyone's views. Lord Haughey was on the radio saying how he couldn't bear to see the national stadium move out of Glasgow.

The other point that seems to have quickly been glossed over is that the deal also includes taking on the £19 million of debt still owing from the last redevelopment. So that needs paid before they can even start re-redeveloping to make the place fit for purpose.

I also heard some genius spokesman for the SFA saying that Hampden was only hard to get to because no trains or buses went there and so that shouldnt be held against it ... It was the weirdest argument I've ever heard...

You can't hold the poor transport links against it because they're only the fault of the poor transport links??

Yup - it’s worrying how little funds the game has up here that someone has had to bail them up.

Plus the £19 million still due !!

It’s such a shame as the fans in Scotland are pretty dedicated/ passionate and deserve better - a proper national stadium would be a good start. Though I guess most would want the team doing better first as like the other night I can only see crowds dropping.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
11-09-2018, 09:47 PM
Time to split from the Glesga\Haughey\Hunter Football Association and start one for the rest of Scotland.

Boycott Hampden.

Hulk1875
11-09-2018, 09:49 PM
Time to split from the Glesga\Haughey\Hunter Football Association and start one for the rest of Scotland.

Boycott Hampden.

TROSFA
The rest of Scotland football association

HibbiesandtheBaddies
11-09-2018, 09:52 PM
TROSFA
The rest of Scotland football association

The Association with integrity :agree:

Hulk1875
11-09-2018, 09:54 PM
The Association with integrity :agree:

TAWI haha.

Hulk1875
11-09-2018, 09:55 PM
Before kick off I don’t care about Scotland games but when I watch them I feel that hope and passion

JimBHibees
12-09-2018, 07:58 AM
Maxwell mentioned doing what Stuttgart have done at their stadium at the press conference. He never mentioned that it cost €63m though.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180911/7643e448185d8c368444a954336bc6e8.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180911/d2a523e2badb0c55589e7a5dab9921ab.jpg

The seats at the front to the right of the newer stadium are very flat and would IMO have a shocking view. They have proven for years they dont really care about the normal fans. The redvelopment of Hampden ended up with an excellent main stand and abysmal everywhere else. Absolutely typical.