PDA

View Full Version : Stevenson

J-C
26-08-2018, 09:18 AM
Why did he go off? An injury or just to give him a rest, thought he was doing ok so unsure why he was subbed.

blackpoolhibs
26-08-2018, 09:19 AM
Tactics.

frazeHFC
26-08-2018, 09:21 AM
Had to go for it and go more attacking. Perhaps felt Hanlon offers more going forward. Good decision too as he got the assist.

J-C
26-08-2018, 09:22 AM
Tactics.

So just to get a striker and midfielder on then, I was just surprised at the time.

linlithgowhibbie
26-08-2018, 09:22 AM
Had to go for it and go more attacking. Perhaps felt Hanlon offers more going forward. Good decision too as he got the assist.

And he had been booked and with Dallas as ref he could have seen red for another foul!

DTS
26-08-2018, 09:24 AM
Had to change something, Gray was offering more than Stevenson going forward. Not every sub is because a players playing poorly or injured

blackpoolhibs
26-08-2018, 09:29 AM
So just to get a striker and midfielder on then, I was just surprised at the time.
He tried to make us more penetrating by bringing on another forward thinking player, and pushing Hanlon further forward too.

It ended up being a good move, he tried something different and it came off, sometimes these things work, often they dont, thankfully it did this time. :thumbsup:

Smartie
26-08-2018, 09:33 AM
He tried to make us more penetrating by bringing on another forward thinking player, and pushing Hanlon further forward too.

It ended up being a good move, he tried something different and it came off, sometimes these things work, often they dont, thankfully it did this time. :thumbsup:

Lennon has a really good knack of making these things work.

MWHIBBIES
26-08-2018, 09:46 AM
Lennon has a really good knack of making these things work.He also has a knack of getting things wrong from the start in big games recently.

Stantons Angel
26-08-2018, 10:46 AM
Had to change something, Gray was offering more than Stevenson going forward. Not every sub is because a players playing poorly or injured

Then he was taken off next. Both fullbacks sacrificed to try and win the game. No reflection on how either of them were playing. Purely a tacticle move that proved the right thing to do.

Stantons Angel
26-08-2018, 10:51 AM

Then Gray was taken off too. Sacrificed both fullbacks to try and win the game. No reflection on how either had been playing. A tacticle move that paid off.

SlickShoes
26-08-2018, 10:55 AM
He also has a knack of getting things wrong from the start in big games recently.

Which big games?

hibee_girl
26-08-2018, 11:00 AM
Then Gray was taken off too. Sacrificed both fullbacks to try and win the game. No reflection on how either had been playing. A tacticle move that paid off.

I think Gray was taken off due to the knock he’d just had

Centre Hawf
26-08-2018, 11:17 AM
He also has a knack of getting things wrong from the start in big games recently.

Agreed. He doesn’t seem to know his best XI atm. And theres a few square pegs in round holes.

southern hibby
26-08-2018, 11:40 AM
Which big games?

One I can think of was end of last season when he started one up front against Hearts at Tincastle after going 12-13 games unbeaten with two up front.
Infact ( I may be wrong but not by that much ) I think we started 11 games last season with one striker up front and only won 1 of them, rest were draws or defeats.

GGTTH

Hermit Crab
26-08-2018, 11:48 AM
Even Stevenson can be subbed, don't be shocked people.

J-C
26-08-2018, 12:05 PM
Even Stevenson can be subbed, don't be shocked people.

I wasn't shocked, just very unusual so thought he might have picked up a knock, also forgot he'd picked up a yellow.

FitbaFolkKen
26-08-2018, 12:11 PM

We’ve lost 2 out of our last 24 games, Molde and unfortunately Hearts.

He has more of a knack for getting things right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedy
26-08-2018, 12:20 PM
We’ve lost 2 out of our last 24 games, Molde and unfortunately Hearts.

He has more of a knack for getting things right.

He's right though. Asteras being an obvious example this season.

Chic Murray
26-08-2018, 12:22 PM

He got it wrong the last time we went to Tynecastle. Other than that I can't think of any.

Hibbyradge
26-08-2018, 12:27 PM
Lennon has been in charge now for 102 games.

We've got 2 examples of when people think he got it wrong at the start of games.

That's less than 2%.

Hardly a "knack".

blackpoolhibs
26-08-2018, 12:31 PM
He got it wrong the last time we went to Tynecastle. Other than that I can't think of any.

Unless you can say we would have won that game with a different team and formation, its very difficult to say he got it wrong?

It appears now that whenever we drop points whether a draw or a defeat, there's always a reason other than the opposition just deserved it?

FitbaFolkKen
26-08-2018, 12:31 PM

Then changed it at half time and we won. That to me is a positive in our manager not a negative.

Asteras first half could have been totally different had Whittaker buried that chance at the back post.

They were a relatively unknown quantity to us so there was always going to be a bit of adapting involved.

J-C
26-08-2018, 12:36 PM
Unless you can say we would have won that game with a different team and formation, its very difficult to say he got it wrong?

It appears now that whenever we drop points whether a draw or a defeat, there's always a reason other than the opposition just deserved it?

I think one thing you can say about Lennon is when he gets it wrong he's generally quick enough to change things around, there's been a number of games where certain players have been picked and it's made you scratch your head but all managers in football do this as they see them in training daily, we don't.

jacomo
26-08-2018, 12:45 PM

I think it’s a fair comment.

I’m a big supporter of Lennon, and support him when it counts, but he’s not infallible.

On the flip side, I thought the 442 formation for our last home game v Celtc last term was suicidal. We won.

Brooster
26-08-2018, 12:48 PM
Great tactical switch by Lennon to rescue a point. Well done.

Borderhibbie76
26-08-2018, 12:51 PM
Lennon has a really good knack of making these things work.He also has a knack of waiting far too long to change things...it wasn't working yesterday it took him 75 mins to realise and make a change...it's infuriating at times and I rate him as one of our best managers...but He's not perfect. An earlier change yesterday and we could well have won that match

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

J-C
26-08-2018, 12:52 PM
He also has a knack of waiting far too long to change things...it wasn't working yesterday it took him 75 mins to realise and make a change...it's infuriating at times

One of my few grumbles about him.

blackpoolhibs
26-08-2018, 02:01 PM
I think it’s a fair comment.

I’m a big supporter of Lennon, and support him when it counts, but he’s not infallible.

On the flip side, I thought the 442 formation for our last home game v Celtc last term was suicidal. We won.

I also think he can get team selections wrong, but it really is easy to say that after whatever team he's selected hasn't won.

He cant pick the same team every week, and we dont know whats happened during the week leading up to each game, and there are lots of reasons why Lennon will change tactics and team selections.

Some work, some dont, but the opposition never get any credit here, its always someone's fault we lost points.

BSEJVT
26-08-2018, 02:13 PM
Back on Stevenson topic

I really like Lewis but I think he struggles a bit against GMS

Lost him for their goal at the start of last season and then lost him again yesterday when he had to bring him down outside the box and got booked.

Lewis also wasn't nearly as effective going forward yesterday as he usually is.

Brightside
26-08-2018, 02:47 PM
Why did he go off? An injury or just to give him a rest, thought he was doing ok so unsure why he was subbed.

formation

Big90inOz
26-08-2018, 02:48 PM
I just wish Lewis would attack the space behind the full back more often to give the option of playing a ball through or at least pin their defender back.

hhibs
26-08-2018, 03:01 PM
I just wish Lewis would attack the space behind the full back more often to give the option of playing a ball through or at least pin their defender back.

Agreed,it is maddening and ,opposition players pretty much know what his next move is.

hhibs
26-08-2018, 03:08 PM
He also has a knack of waiting far too long to change things...it wasn't working yesterday it took him 75 mins to realise and make a change...it's infuriating at times and I rate him as one of our best managers...but He's not perfect. An earlier change yesterday and we could well have won that match

He does indeed ,not got a clue why he appears to take so long to make changes ,when it is pretty clear things are not working out.

Was this a pattern when he managed celic ?

MWHIBBIES
26-08-2018, 03:09 PM

Celtic at home 2-2
Rangers at home 2-1 loss
Asteras at home
Aberdeen yesterday

Lennon gets it right alot and corrects it when he's wrong but he is wrong sometimes. Boyle up front is wrong, so very wrong

J-C
26-08-2018, 03:21 PM
Back on Stevenson topic

I really like Lewis but I think he struggles a bit against GMS

Lost him for their goal at the start of last season and then lost him again yesterday when he had to bring him down outside the box and got booked.

Lewis also wasn't nearly as effective going forward yesterday as he usually is.

Last time we played Aberdeen he had him in his back pocket, so much so they put GMS on the other wing where Gray stopped him and eventually he was subbed. GMS is a good player when he can be bothered and will give anyone a hard time, get stuck into him right away and he doesn't like it.

Sir David Gray
26-08-2018, 03:31 PM
Lennon has been in charge now for 102 games.

We've got 2 examples of when people think he got it wrong at the start of games.

That's less than 2%.

Hardly a "knack".

We've lost 17 games out of 102 since Lennon took over.

That means we've avoided defeat in almost 85% of games since he took charge.

Even taking out his first season, which was in the Championship, we have only lost 10 games in 56 which means we have avoided defeat in over 80% of matches in the last 12 months.

Our stats under Lennon are pretty impressive whatever way you look at it.

Smartie
26-08-2018, 04:16 PM
I don't think he is slow to make changes.

If your best team is on the park, even if it isn't necessarily working for a period of time why would you (potentially) weaken your team for the sake of making a change?

McLaren did very little other than his goal. The change to put him on didn't change the balance of play, it just helped us take a chance. Maybe Lennon knew he was only fit enough to play the amount of time that he was on the field, and couldn't put him on earlier?

Nobody was playing particularly badly, so I didn't see a change that was screaming to be made, so I wasn't bothered that Lennon didn't.

Aberdeen are a tough side, difficult to break down, and were never going to give us it all our own way. We were also without a number of key figures.

Lennon is as good a manager at setting out teams from the start, and for making changes at the right times during games as we've had during my time watching Hibs - and by some distance too.

JimBHibees
26-08-2018, 08:30 PM

That tie we won. :confused:

Speedy
26-08-2018, 08:35 PM
Then changed it at half time and we won. That to me is a positive in our manager not a negative.

Asteras first half could have been totally different had Whittaker buried that chance at the back post.

They were a relatively unknown quantity to us so there was always going to be a bit of adapting involved.

Agreed. That was the point the original poster was making (I believe anyway).

JimBHibees
26-08-2018, 08:38 PM
Celtic at home 2-2
Rangers at home 2-1 loss
Asteras at home
Aberdeen yesterday

Lennon gets it right alot and corrects it when he's wrong but he is wrong sometimes. Boyle up front is wrong, so very wrong

Rangers at home that game we totally bossed apart from 2 poor goals and then didn't get a stick on pen

Speedy
26-08-2018, 08:39 PM
That tie we won. :confused:

Yes - the one where the starting line up was a shambles, we went 2-0 down but he made a change at half time and we won 3-2.

I don't know why people are so black and white on here at times. Others have made the point that his starting 11 is sometimes questionable but he has proved capable of changing things and turning it round - both points are true imo.

Dashing Bob S
26-08-2018, 09:04 PM
Take a bow son...oh, its an injury thread...

SquashedFrogg
26-08-2018, 09:15 PM
Celtic at home 2-2
Rangers at home 2-1 loss
Asteras at home
Aberdeen yesterday

For me Lennon played the hand he was dealt yesterday. Very well I should add. Key players either injured, unavailable or not fully fit. Of course he would want Boyle out right. But he's clearly shuffling the pack until full squad is available.

Tactical switches yesterday were class. Taking off 2 full backs, switching to back 4 whilst they has GMS and logan on. Brave but pushed them back and worked.

Some managers panic and throw bodies up in hope. We kept our composure until the end and all the players knew what their roles were. Sign of a well organised, class manager if you ask me.

I should add that Boyle didn't play orthodix striker yesterday. Floated across top of the pitch so i think your comment is incorrect, so very incorrect.

lord bunberry
26-08-2018, 10:17 PM
Stevenson doesn’t get substituted he decides to give someone else a chance.

MWHIBBIES
26-08-2018, 10:29 PM
Rangers at home that game we totally bossed apart from 2 poor goals and then didn't get a stick on pen

We bossed it when Barker came on didn't we? Obviously should've had pen but we messed it up first half.

MWHIBBIES
26-08-2018, 10:32 PM
For me Lennon played the hand he was dealt yesterday. Very well I should add. Key players either injured, unavailable or not fully fit. Of course he would want Boyle out right. But he's clearly shuffling the pack until full squad is available.

Tactical switches yesterday were class. Taking off 2 full backs, switching to back 4 whilst they has GMS and logan on. Brave but pushed them back and worked.

Some managers panic and throw bodies up in hope. We kept our composure until the end and all the players knew what their roles were. Sign of a well organised, class manager if you ask me.

I should add that Boyle didn't play orthodix striker yesterday. Floated across top of the pitch so i think your comment is incorrect, so very incorrect.
Boyle can float around all he wants, he's never going to score enough as a forward. When did he actually last score at all playing up front?

We didn't play all week, he didn't have to shuffle other than Maclaren in and Boyle right. He got it wrong but thankfully his sub changed it. Made same mistake at Tynie in last derby.

The Modfather
26-08-2018, 10:32 PM
Celtic at home 2-2
Rangers at home 2-1 loss
Asteras at home
Aberdeen yesterday

The Aberdeen semi final at Hampden as well.

MWHIBBIES
26-08-2018, 10:34 PM
The Aberdeen semi final at Hampden as well.

Yes very true. Perfect example really. Got it very wrong to start but changed it.

Mibbes Aye
27-08-2018, 12:54 AM
Stevenson doesn’t get substituted he decides to give someone else a chance.

:agree:

Lewis is actually right-footed. He just pretends to be left-footed to give everyone else a semblance of a chance.

JimBHibees
27-08-2018, 07:00 AM
We bossed it when Barker came on didn't we? Obviously should've had pen but we messed it up first half.

We were 1 up and in charge then gave away 2 comic book goals.

matty_f
27-08-2018, 07:07 AM

Rangers' goals came close together iirc, apart from those attacks they were barely in the game. Hibs dominated from start to finish that match.