PDA

View Full Version : Minutes to go

Xray
26-08-2018, 12:33 AM
I know it’s a major discussion point over the years but just watching the game on Alba and so many empty seats on 90mins. Surely if you know you’re going to ER you know you’re there until the final whistle? If you need to leave early to beat traffic, etc then fair enough. But can’t understand the folk who stand on the stairs, block the exits and the view of seated season ticket holders, only to wait until the end of the game. That’s just a nonsense!! If you want to leave your seat early then, keep walking!!!

Buc
26-08-2018, 12:53 AM
Totally agree, if you make the decision to leave before the final whistle( wrong in my opinion) then leave. Don’t stand on the steps for the next5 mins blocking everyone else getting out.

coldingham hibs
26-08-2018, 07:49 AM
I normally leave when the injury time board goes up so I can slowly & carefully walk down from near the top of the east. Usually there isn’t a problem and most people gradually move down the stairs. Yesterday it did get a bit blocked but that was no excuse for the idiot that tried to just barge through everyone, almost knocking me into a row of seats. Most people will move when the words ‘excuse me’ are spoken, or will at least try to move. There are women, children & elderly trying to navigate those steep steps so I hope that idiot yesterday reflects on his actions.

J-C
26-08-2018, 07:52 AM
Better than having empty seats at the start of the game or during it.

allezsauzee
26-08-2018, 08:01 AM
I find utterly bizarre that people do this with the game in the balance. Especially yesterday. A thrilling finale while drawing 1-1 with one of our main rivals and people don't want to stay to see how it ends? :confused:

Gatecrasher
26-08-2018, 08:07 AM
The stewards need to clamp down on this, either stay in your seat or leave.

Nicho87
26-08-2018, 08:27 AM
The east stand is a disgrace to get out of. We’re bang in the middle row CC. If we stay until full time it adds another 25 minutes to our journey getting back to Dunfermline. We park at hermitage park primary.

mutley
26-08-2018, 08:28 AM
I had to leave sharpish yesterday, (I left on the 90 min mark, had a function to go to) and I went straight out but had to fight through people at the bottom of the stairs that had all congregated at the disabled seating. One guy in a wheel chair was trying to get out and was going mental at a steward for just standing there doing nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sir David Gray
26-08-2018, 08:43 AM
I had to leave sharpish yesterday, (I left on the 90 min mark, had a function to go to) and I went straight out but had to fight through people at the bottom of the stairs that had all congregated at the disabled seating. One guy in a wheel chair was trying to get out and was going mental at a steward for just standing there doing nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is something that needs sorted out.

The amount of people who make their way to the wheelchair area in the east stand and watch the last few minutes of the game there is ridiculous. The stewards all go pitchside so there's no-one there to prevent this happening. The steward who had been in that area during the game did try and shout up to the people who had moved there and told them to move but they knew that she couldn't leave her position pitchside so they ignored her instructions.

It gets very cramped in there when there's so many people crammed into it and if any of the fans in wheelchairs did want to leave then they would find it very difficult. Also the people who sit in the rows behind the wheelchair area are having their view blocked for any play that happens up at the away end.

All it will need is one steward to stay at the entrance of the wheelchair area until full time and prevent anyone who is not either a wheelchair user or a carer from entering this area.

Something definitely needs done.

Carheenlea
26-08-2018, 08:55 AM
Same thread. Every week

h18eeynick
26-08-2018, 08:57 AM
The east stand is a disgrace to get out of. We’re bang in the middle row CC. If we stay until full time it adds another 25 minutes to our journey getting back to Dunfermline. We park at hermitage park primary.

It takes me at least 2 hours each way from Carlisle plus added time to park. Left yesterday at 10 am and got home just before 8 . Season ticket in East this year after a couple of years as pay at gate in West. Definately takes 15 minutes extra to get out as about two thirds up in stand. Great seat and dont mind the travel but does annoy me about people leaving early under my circumstances !

Brooster
26-08-2018, 08:59 AM
Making their way out early and stalling on the steps. Not to mention the clowns standing on the seats to take a short cut over the rows. These folk are a pain and probably not even in a hurry to get anywhere.

green day
26-08-2018, 09:00 AM
It takes me at least 2 hours each way from Carlisle plus added time to park. Left yesterday at 10 am and got home just before 8 . Season ticket in East this year after a couple of years as pay at gate in West. Definately takes 15 minutes extra to get out as about two thirds up in stand. Great seat and dont mind the travel but does annoy me about people leaving early under my circumstances !

As you probably remember, the West is a piece of piss to get out of :thumbsup:

we are hibs
26-08-2018, 09:03 AM
I'm not standing waiting 25 minutes to get out the back of the East stand for the sake of not blocking someone's view for about a minute at the end of the game.

Diclonius
26-08-2018, 09:10 AM
I'll walk very slowly to the exits during injury time, and I'll usually sit in an empty seat nearer the exit if there's one free.

Sir David Gray
26-08-2018, 09:20 AM
I'm not standing waiting 25 minutes to get out the back of the East stand for the sake of not blocking someone's view for about a minute at the end of the game.

Eh no? If people can't stand for a few minutes at the end of a game maybe they should move. I always leave my seat and join the queue on the stairs with about a minute to go. I get out within about 2 or 3 minutes. If I didn't it would be about 20.

I honestly don't know where to begin with these posts.

Just wow.

FilipinoHibs
26-08-2018, 09:25 AM
I honestly don't know where to begin with these posts.

Just wow.

Yes some people just want to complain about small things on and off the pitch. Me I am just enjoying this golden era while it lasts.

cabbageandribs1875
26-08-2018, 09:27 AM

i normally scoot 2-3 mins from the end so i can get down to my car at Pilrig and off, if i waited until the end it delays me approx 20-25 mins getting out of town, but with the game in the balance i decided to hang on, and although i'm only up at Row Z it took a full 10 minutes to get out, looked over at the away end and lucky if there were approx 100 over both upper and lower stands still to filter out, with still many hundreds behind me it must take 15 mins at least to get out of the east, i wouldn't like to think what it would be like in any emergency, for me personally it's well worth it leaving 2-3 mins before the end

K.Marx
26-08-2018, 09:31 AM
The exits in the east need to be wider, or there needs to be more of them. No idea how feasible either of those options is.

Danderhall Hibs
26-08-2018, 09:34 AM
I’d definitely rather see a late goal than get home 20 minutes earlier.

GreenArmyyy!
26-08-2018, 09:35 AM
I know it’s a major discussion point over the years but just watching the game on Alba and so many empty seats on 90mins. Surely if you know you’re going to ER you know you’re there until the final whistle? If you need to leave early to beat traffic, etc then fair enough. But can’t understand the folk who stand on the stairs, block the exits and the view of seated season ticket holders, only to wait until the end of the game. That’s just a nonsense!! If you want to leave your seat early then, keep walking!!!

I sit near the top of section 44 in the east and to be honest, if you don’t head down the stairs on 90 minutes, you’re 15-20 mins after the funal whistle to get out. The rest of the ground is normally completely empty in half the time.

Golden Bear
26-08-2018, 09:35 AM
Personally I think that Edinburgh Festival (and all other events) should be cancelled when Hibs are at home. This would help to ease the traffic congestion and allow us to get back to our cars quicker after the game.

:rolleyes:

Cardinal G
26-08-2018, 09:36 AM

Similiar here but back to Gateshead, however ultimately is your perogative to leave when you want, only caveat is do it with respect to fellow fans staying till the full time whistle.
Personally I can think of countless times when we've scored in injury time and love the joy of when you do as it's the sweetest feeling.

Oscar T Grouch
26-08-2018, 09:36 AM
This is something that needs sorted out.

The amount of people who make their way to the wheelchair area in the east stand and watch the last few minutes of the game there is ridiculous. The stewards all go pitchside so there's no-one there to prevent this happening. The steward who had been in that area during the game did try and shout up to the people who had moved there and told them to move but they knew that she couldn't leave her position pitchside so they ignored her instructions.

It gets very cramped in there when there's so many people crammed into it and if any of the fans in wheelchairs did want to leave then they would find it very difficult. Also the people who sit in the rows behind the wheelchair area are having their view blocked for any play that happens up at the away end.

All it will need is one steward to stay at the entrance of the wheelchair area until full time and prevent anyone who is not either a wheelchair user or a carer from entering this area.

Something definitely needs done.

Last week at the county game they had 3 stewards in the section 38 disabled area preventing people from entering the area and physically removing people from it. It really made a difference to the wheelchair users in that area. They managed it at a poorly attended match so why on earth did they not do it yesterday again? I sit and watch these people congregate there every time and they don’t give a hoot that they’re blocking wheelchair users from moving, it rips my knitting that nothing’s done about this.
There will be an accident on the stairs soon and people will get hurt because of the numbers who hang about on the stair well and those that push past on the stairs. It’s getting worse and the club need to employ more stewards or distribute the ones they have better to stop this.
If you’re leaving the ground early leave the ground, if you’re gonna hang around for the final whistle sit on your arse until it’s blown.

Moulin Yarns
26-08-2018, 09:38 AM
i normally scoot 2-3 mins from the end so i can get down to my car at Pilrig and off, if i waited until the end it delays me approx 20-25 mins getting out of town, but with the game in the balance i decided to hang on, and although i'm only up at Row Z it took a full 10 minutes to get out, looked over at the away end and lucky if there were approx 100 over both upper and lower stands still to filter out, with still many hundreds behind me it must take 15 mins at least to get out of the east, i wouldn't like to think what it would be like in any emergency, for me personally it's well worth it leaving 2-3 mins before the end

In an emergency, exit would be onto the pitchside track, so a lot quicker.

The problem is the single tier stand, double tier like the other three stands doubles the number of exits available.

matty_f
26-08-2018, 09:39 AM

:agree:

Imagine missing SDG's header because you wanted away sharp at Hampden.

matty_f
26-08-2018, 09:40 AM

So long as you're ok, though, eh?

Biggie
I'm sure we've passed it, but is there not a H&S requirement to evacuate the stand in a certain time ?
From the back of the east at full time is a ball ache.
Can you imagine if there was a problem and folk panicked ?

matty_f
I'm sure we've passed it, but is there not a H&S requirement to evacuate the stand in a certain time ?

In an emergency folk would evacuate the stand in to the pitch, so it would empty very quickly.

Sir David Gray
26-08-2018, 09:41 AM
Last week at the county game they had 3 stewards in the section 38 disabled area preventing people from entering the area and physically removing people from it. It really made a difference to the wheelchair users in that area. They managed it at a poorly attended match so why on earth did they not do it yesterday again? I sit and watch these people congregate there every time and they don’t give a hoot that they’re blocking wheelchair users from moving, it rips my knitting that nothing’s done about this.
There will be an accident on the stairs soon and people will get hurt because of the numbers who hang about on the stair well and those that push past on the stairs. It’s getting worse and the club need to employ more stewards or distribute the ones they have better to stop this.
If you’re leaving the ground early leave the ground, if you’re gonna hang around for the final whistle sit on your arse until it’s blown.

Well said. :agree:

hibee_girl
26-08-2018, 09:42 AM

I can never understand it when folk start leaving from 80 minutes onwards, especially in a game like yesterday when we’re still playing for a win/draw. Each to their own though

We sit at the end of the row in the middle of the east and it is annoying when you’ve got people blocking the view as they stand on the stairs. We normally just move along our row as there’s normally half a row free by then.

Keith_M
26-08-2018, 09:43 AM

I don't care what anybody says, 50% of the people leaving with 5-10 minutes to go is pathetic.

It must be great for the players to look round the stands and see people streaming out, not giving a toss, even when there's everything to play for.

Smartie
26-08-2018, 09:45 AM

If they opened the gates at the front of the stand so folk could flood onto the pitch "exuberance style" then the stand would empty in no time.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Shrekko
26-08-2018, 09:48 AM
Keep reading it takes 25 mins to get out the East... it seems to empty pretty quickly looking across from the West.

Looks like it might be harder getting out at 85 minutes when everyone piles out en masse.

People are entitied to leave when they choose but it just looks awful and doesn’t seem to happen when we play Hearts.

Moulin Yarns
26-08-2018, 09:50 AM
If they opened the gates at the front of the stand so folk could flood onto the pitch "exuberance style" then the stand would empty in no time.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

That's the third time on this thread that this has been mentioned. The emergency procedure has thankfully not be needed, and hopefully never will, but that is how it works. Under normal circumstances though the single tier stand design is the problem as the distance from the top of the stand to the exits (vomitoria :wink:) is just too large IMO.

jgl07
26-08-2018, 09:57 AM
It’s as old a problem as football itself. Back in the 1970s I recall people leaving Old Trafford with 25 minutes left to ‘beat the traffic’. I suppose it always will happen

Do people walk out of Agatha Christie plays just before Poirot unmasks the killer?

Eyrie
26-08-2018, 09:57 AM
That is Hearts class. Tell us your seat number so we can ask the person sitting in front of you to stand up when Hibs are on the attack because it'll only block your view for a minute.

The exits in the east need to be wider, or there needs to be more of them. No idea how feasible either of those options is.
I've said it before, but we need to look at building exits onto the back of the East at the top of the stairways.

Keith_M
26-08-2018, 10:06 AM
It’s as old a problem as football itself. Back in the 1970s I recall people leaving Old Trafford with 25 minutes left to ‘beat the traffic’. I suppose it always will happen

Do people walk out of Agatha Christie plays just before Poirot unmasks the killer?

I could think of other comparisons of people leaving early, only to miss the exciting bit but...

...that would be an Ecumenical matter.

:wink:

cabbageandribs1875
26-08-2018, 10:07 AM
In an emergency, exit would be onto the pitchside track, so a lot quicker.

The problem is the single tier stand, double tier like the other three stands doubles the number of exits available.

:agree: i'm campaigning for the club to install escalators at the back of the East, and although i've only received 5 signatures it's early days yet(with 2 of the signatures gained from two rather inebriated fans) i'm up against it i know seeing as the club didn't want to pay for the maintenance of the wee lift in the FF i doubt they will pay for maintenance on 3 huge escalators at the back of the East :(

even firemens poles at the back would do

eezyrider
26-08-2018, 10:07 AM
If people want to leave early i suppose
that's their choice however don't stand
on the stairs blocking it. Your 1 minute
watching the end of the game adds
significantly to the 25 minute wait
everyone else has.

Its the same principle as braking sudddenly
On the motorway can lead to a 3 mile
tailback further down the carriageway.

EZ

SteveHFC
26-08-2018, 10:11 AM
Bring back the 8k crowds so much easier to get out:greengrin

The Leith Dutch
26-08-2018, 10:54 AM

Aside from being massively selfish in it's entire approach I also love the way you over inflate the consequence to you (25 minutes to get out....aye right) and massively understate the amount of time you're blocking other folk's view - there are plenty of folk there for longer than a minute. I guess in your world folk should just rely on you to judge the remaining time left in the game?

Hopefully the club can get on top of this and move folk like you along.

Keith_M
26-08-2018, 10:59 AM
I think the club should start charging people money to leave before the game's finished. One pound for each minute before the 90 is up.

If we score after they've gone, they retrospectively have to pay an extra tenner.

That would add millions to our transfer budget.

Nicho87
26-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Bring back the 8k crowds so much easier to get out:greengrin

Here here

Hibbyradge
26-08-2018, 11:11 AM
Write to the club asking for the stewards to move people on.

Or find a fans' rep ...

JimboHibs
26-08-2018, 11:15 AM
The stewards need to clamp down on this, either stay in your seat or leave.

Make a complaint to the club.

Mind to let .net know the outcome.

SRHibs
26-08-2018, 11:15 AM
I find utterly bizarre that people do this with the game in the balance. Especially yesterday. A thrilling finale while drawing 1-1 with one of our main rivals and people don't want to stay to see how it ends? :confused:

You and many others are misreading the OP. These entitled people aren’t leaving, they’re standing in the stairs/down the bottom, and blocking the view of the rest of us, so that they can be first out when the whistle blows.

Famous Fiver
26-08-2018, 11:18 AM
Re the SDG header at Hampden several around me left in disgust when Andy Halliday (pair wee soul) scored Rangers second goal.

Moulin Yarns
26-08-2018, 11:25 AM
:agree: i'm campaigning for the club to install escalators at the back of the East, and although i've only received 5 signatures it's early days yet(with 2 of the signatures gained from two rather inebriated fans) i'm up against it i know seeing as the club didn't want to pay for the maintenance of the wee lift in the FF i doubt they will pay for maintenance on 3 huge escalators at the back of the East :(

even firemens poles at the back would do

Flumes to a huge jacuzzi in the corner between the east and north stands :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
26-08-2018, 11:56 AM
I just don't understand folk leaving with 5 minutes to go when the score is level or there's only a goal in it … I'm not impressed much with the beating the traffic stuff either, that's our experience after every game, sometimes taking over an hour to go the few miles from ER to Sherriffhall roundabout, but we sure as hell wouldn't leave early and possibly miss a Hibs equaliser or winner just to shave 15 minutes or so off the travelling time.

There is scope to build a first floor in the east, and given the fact that Hibs appear to have enough capacity in the other stands to cater for hospitality and stuff perhaps its time they thought about putting in a floor and building some more exits …. apart from anything else it would possibly make the ascent from the current entry points to the top of the stand feel a bit less like an assault on Mount Everest :greengrin

Eyrie
26-08-2018, 12:04 PM
Flumes to a huge jacuzzi in the corner between the east and north stands :greengrin

We'd be able to sell twenty thousand tickets for the East every game if we did that!

lord bunberry
26-08-2018, 12:08 PM
I had to move my season ticket because of this problem. I was in the end section of the east nearest the south stand. Just before half time and about 10 minutes before full time loads of people start walking down the stairs, but as soon as there’s an attack they stop and block everyone’s view. Even when I stood up myself I struggled to see, kids have got no chance of seeing. I couldn’t care less if people want to leave early, but if they do they should leave and not block everyone’s view. Thankfully I don’t have that problem in my new seat.

Brooster
26-08-2018, 12:09 PM
I sit more than half way up in the East and would wager quite heavily that it takes nobody 25 mins to get out. As I say....folk in a hurry to go nowhere.

hibee_girl
26-08-2018, 12:13 PM
I sit more than half way up in the East and would wager quite heavily that it takes nobody 25 mins to get out. As I say....folk in a hurry to go nowhere.

I’d say the longest it can take is 10 minutes and that’s usually after the big games where not so many leave early

Hibbyradge
26-08-2018, 12:14 PM
I just don't understand folk leaving with 5 minutes to go when the score is level or there's only a goal in it … I'm not impressed much with the beating the traffic stuff either, that's our experience after every game, sometimes taking over an hour to go the few miles from ER to Sherriffhall roundabout, but we sure as hell wouldn't leave early and possibly miss a Hibs equaliser or winner just to shave 15 minutes or so off the travelling time.

I understand it. I just wouldn't want to do it unless I absolutely had to, but I go for a pint after the games so it's not urgent that I get anywhere.

However, if I was ever forced to choose between accepting that I'd miss the last 5 minutes of the game or not going at all, I'd always choose the former.

Folk shouldn't really use the Scottish Cup final as a comparison. The prospect at 85 minutes was extra time and possibly penalties.

No-one was going to leave in those circumstances.

Famous Fiver
26-08-2018, 12:17 PM
I pointed out on another thread just a few minutes ago that some had left as soon as Halliday's goal went in.

I agree, no danger of anyone else leaving after 85 minutes though, we were right in it.

we are hibs
26-08-2018, 12:18 PM

How do you know people have nowhere to go? Do you know every hibs fans plans for after a match? I sit in the back of the East very last row right in the middle of the row and if i waited till full time it would be 20 minutes minimum to get out by the time all the rows infront have cleaned out.

Sir David Gray
26-08-2018, 12:29 PM
How do you know people have nowhere to go? Do you know every hibs fans plans for after a match? I sit in the back of the East very last row right in the middle of the row and if i waited till full time it would be 20 minutes minimum to get out by the time all the rows infront have cleaned out.

So find a seat closer to the exits then or leave the stadium as soon as you have decided to leave your seat.

Why should others suffer just because you want a quick exit at the end of the game?

Surely you understand how selfish that is.

NAE NOOKIE
26-08-2018, 12:31 PM
I understand it. I just wouldn't want to do it unless I absolutely had to, but I go for a pint after the games so it's not urgent that I get anywhere.

However, if I was ever forced to choose between accepting that I'd miss the last 5 minutes of the game or not going at all, I'd always choose the former.

Folk shouldn't really use the Scottish Cup final as a comparison. The prospect at 85 minutes was extra time and possibly penalties.

No-one was going to leave in those circumstances.

That's fair enough …. if you simply have to leave before the end because you need to be somewhere then leaving early is understandable, or if you will miss a train or a bus and have to hang around for an hour longer for the want of that extra 5 minutes …. but I cant believe any but a few of the hundreds who pile out of the stadium before the end at every game can make that claim.

J-C
26-08-2018, 12:41 PM
So find a seat closer to the exits then or leave the stadium as soon as you have decided to leave your seat.

Why should others suffer just because you want a quick exit at the end of the game?

Surely you understand how selfish that is.

Hence why I sit in row E seat 107 in the East, got the wide walkway in front so no need to stand to let anyone past and only 4 seats from the exit itself.

Brooster
26-08-2018, 12:59 PM
Not a chance it takes anyone 25 mins to get out of the East if they get up to leave on the final whistle. Not a chance.

Hiber-nation
26-08-2018, 01:23 PM

No chance. I'm near the back of the East and while it might seem like a long time with all the hanging about it's 10 minutes max to get out.

calumhibee1
26-08-2018, 01:28 PM
No chance. I'm near the back of the East and while it might seem like a long time with all the hanging about it's 10 minutes max to get out.

I wait until the stand is clear with my dad as he has a bit bother getting down the stairs. There was nobody left up the back of the stand just over 10 mins after full time.