PDA

View Full Version : 3-5-2, formations etc

H18 SFR
25-08-2018, 09:27 PM
I've been a big supporter of the 3-5-2 formation since Lennon pretty much made it our base formation.

I have to say that I'm now thinking do we really need three centre backs? Watching the game again from today and we are crying out for another midfielder in there.

Smartie
25-08-2018, 09:53 PM
I thought the formation worked well today.

We had a few tight games with Aberdeen last season, today was no different.

The main area for improvement today was defending corner kicks and getting men in support of Shaw, who was often isolated and struggled against several huge defenders.

I thought the defence was solid and that we competed far better in the middle of the park than I expected us to.

wookie70
25-08-2018, 09:56 PM
I've been a big supporter of the 3-5-2 formation since Lennon pretty much made it our base formation.

I have to say that I'm now thinking do we really need three centre backs? Watching the game again from today and we are crying out for another midfielder in there.

When Aberdeen went very defensive it was crazy still having 3 centre backs and Hanlon and Ambrose started to be more advanced. In those circumstances I would rather have another striker or midfielder. I think our squad looks more suited to 4 at the back now particularly as that would allow Boyle and SDg on the right and Lewis and Horgan on the left. That sounds good both attacking and defending to me

Lancs Harp
25-08-2018, 09:59 PM
I thought the formation worked well today.

We had a few tight games with Aberdeen last season, today was no different.

The main area for improvement today was defending corner kicks and getting men in support of Shaw, who was often isolated and struggled against several huge defenders.

I thought the defence was solid and that we competed far better in the middle of the park than I expected us to.

Have to admit when I saw the team we were putting out I was a little concerned in midfield. But the lads by and large bossed it. With a bit of luck we'd have taken all three points. I'm sure the lads on Alba agreed but the only words I understood n the commentary were "corner" and "goal". Which makes me virtually bi lingual obviously.

Eyrie
25-08-2018, 10:13 PM
When Aberdeen went very defensive it was crazy still having 3 centre backs and Hanlon and Ambrose started to be more advanced. In those circumstances I would rather have another striker or midfielder. I think our squad looks more suited to 4 at the back now particularly as that would allow Boyle and SDg on the right and Lewis and Horgan on the left. That sounds good both attacking and defending to me
The only problem with that is that our central midfield of two players would be overrun since Mallan isn't the best at defending.

A 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 would give us a third man in midfield as well as having Boyle and Horgan providing width.

Hibeewilly
25-08-2018, 10:19 PM

We have Milligan to come in and Lenny is trying to bring in another striker and hopefully Scott Allan. I think that would set us up quite nicely.

neil7908
26-08-2018, 07:37 AM
I've liked 3-5-2 and see it being useful for us this season but we've now got 3 wingers at the club, plus 2 quality fullbacks in Gray and Stevenson so I'm not sure how we fit them in without changing formation.

3-5-2 was great to squeeze McGinn, McGeouch and Allan into the side but I think we'll need to adapt to the players in the squad this season and could see 4-4-2 being a better fit for us.

Lee Marvin
26-08-2018, 07:47 AM
I can see us going 3-1-4-2 eventually.

Milligan sitting midfielder. Horgan and Boyle wingers. Mallan and hopefully allan centre midfielders.

J-C
26-08-2018, 07:49 AM
The players we have makes us perfect for a 4-3-3 set up but Lennon seems determined to continue with 3 at the back as he prefers 2 up top. Just watched MOTD and Man C and Liverpool play 4-3-3 and although they have a hugely different quality in their players, we have similar style players at the club, pace and technique.
I think Milligan can be a difference as the holding midfielder who is also capable of making passes count, this will allow our creative players to flourish.

J-C
26-08-2018, 07:50 AM
I can see us going 3-1-4-2 eventually.

Milligan sitting midfielder. Horgan and Boyle wingers. Mallan and hopefully allan centre midfielders.

No Gray or Stevenson?

Hibee Mac
26-08-2018, 08:22 AM
Sure Lennon mentioned he was glad to have more training time with the players after we were out of Europe in order to try some new formations.

Once Milligan is in I reckon he may try and change it up.

Kyle A
26-08-2018, 08:28 AM
For 352 to work you really need a proper attacking mid to link up from your defensive mids who are covering the back. Horgan did well there but we are really missing a Scott Alan type to play the forwards in. This is why yesterday playing 352 we were shooting from distance or playing long to the forwards which wasn't working.

Nicho87
26-08-2018, 08:28 AM
I really enjoyed Hanlon at left back bombing on I know he does it when he’s in a 3 anyway but his cross was a beauty yesterday.

linlithgowhibbie
26-08-2018, 10:53 AM
I really enjoyed Hanlon at left back bombing on I know he does it when he’s in a 3 anyway but his cross was a beauty yesterday.

At times he was like a left winger, great to see yesterday.:thumbsup:

Winston Ingram
26-08-2018, 10:55 AM

Absolutely not. We made it very easy for them today as all our attacks came through the middle. It’s no surprise we looked more dangerous when we had players in wide positions higher up the pitch.

Craig_HFC
26-08-2018, 11:53 AM
I think people tend to read a bit too much into formations to be honest as in reality players positions are so fluid within a game that it almost renders the formation a wee bit meaningless.

The formation is purely for how we set up when we don’t have the ball.

Playing with 3 centre backs means nothing when we have the ball as either Efe or Hanlon are always pushing forward to join the midfield & Gray and Stevenson are always hugging their touchlines to stretch the play with everyone else sort of interweaving with another.