PDA

View Full Version : Whittaker

Sprouleflyer
25-08-2018, 08:29 PM
Thought he had a very good game today.

The amount of abuse he has on here lately, I think he deserves a thread acknowledging his contributions today.

Hibee Mac
25-08-2018, 08:33 PM
Fully deserves a thread today, he was really composed and played well all game.

I've been a critic so far but he's shown he can be an asset, time for the fans to get behind him instead of being on his back after every minute error.

Jo McBride
25-08-2018, 08:34 PM
Fully deserves a thread today, he was really composed and played well all game.

I've been a critic so far but he's shown he can be an asset, time for the fans to get behind him instead of being on his back after every minute error.

Lennon also singled him out for praise. My MOM.

FifeHibs
25-08-2018, 08:35 PM
Think he is more suited to playing against better teams who give him a little more time on the ball. Playing against St Johnstone, Hamilton etc is a bit of a struggle as they just chase everything like headless chickens and he does not get enough time.

Rattler
25-08-2018, 08:37 PM
Thought that he had a great game today- which isn’t always appreciated due to certain sections of the support criticising him every time he’s on the ball.

He’s a Hibs player after all and deserves our support and encouragement no matter of personal opinions.

SideBurns
25-08-2018, 08:38 PM
Class performance. Simple as that.

Robbo6-2
25-08-2018, 08:39 PM
He was decent today.

Still never a starter if we want to make top 3

Carheenlea
25-08-2018, 08:43 PM
A good solid display from an experienced professional - The very reason we signed him. A few more like this and some of his weaker performances will soon be forgotten.

Bishop Hibee
25-08-2018, 08:44 PM
One of our better players today.

wandering_hibee
25-08-2018, 08:52 PM
His performances to date this season have been poor and he has definitely looked nervous, particularly at ER. Today though he looked a different player, composed on the ball, always available and a threat going forward. I don't think that he will be a consistent starter but he definitely won't let the side down or look out of place when he does come in.

Jones28
25-08-2018, 08:53 PM
He showed his class today.

Cod Boy
25-08-2018, 08:53 PM
Very good game and silenced a number of his critics today.

GoalsMcGinley
25-08-2018, 09:28 PM
Had a decent game. Was far from our best player but definitely his best performance to date this season. Still shouldn’t be a starter for me tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ancient hibee
25-08-2018, 09:32 PM
Had a decent game. Was far from our best player but definitely his best performance to date this season. Still shouldn’t be a starter for me tho.

Who would you have played instead of him today?

Onceinawhile
25-08-2018, 09:33 PM
He made a switch of play to David Gray that was outrageously good.

Played pretty well and had a hand in the goal.

SirDavidsNapper
25-08-2018, 09:35 PM
Close to MOTM today. He's still got it.

IberianHibernian
25-08-2018, 09:40 PM
Thought he was very good today helping defensively and in attack . And that against one of our 3 biggest rivals in fight for 1st to 4th in league . His experience shows - knows when or where to make a foul and covers mistakes of others . Understand and share opinions about him not being in first XI if we want to be top 3 but a useful player to have .

DavidDavidGray
25-08-2018, 09:48 PM
Second best player on the park for me today, only just pipped by Horgan. I’m not his biggest fan but if he plays like that regularly then he should be starting. Class from him.

matty_f
25-08-2018, 10:54 PM
He was very good today, close to a man of the match performance imho.

Ryan91
25-08-2018, 10:57 PM
Think he is more suited to playing against better teams who give him a little more time on the ball. Playing against St Johnstone, Hamilton etc is a bit of a struggle as they just chase everything like headless chickens and he does not get enough time.

Probably not far wrong there. Seemed to be doing a bit of everything today in midfield.

Hibeewilly
25-08-2018, 10:57 PM
Have to agree......he played very well today...well done Steven:agree:

Gatecrasher
26-08-2018, 08:09 AM
:agree: thought he had a good game. If he stays to that standard he could be an important player for us.

Libby Hibby
26-08-2018, 08:13 AM
Steven played great yesterday, he got stuck in, kept the ball moving and retained possession well.

But you always feel he was on misplaced pass away from a full on mass stadium groan.

Well Done Whitts, keep it up.

eastcoasthibby
26-08-2018, 08:17 AM
Quality performance from Whitty had a tough ask in midfield at times when the only real ball winning player.in their ...his two footedness is a real asset as well ...good reply to some of the very poor comments and posts about him recently ....

Borderhibbie76
26-08-2018, 08:47 AM
Think he is more suited to playing against better teams who give him a little more time on the ball. Playing against St Johnstone, Hamilton etc is a bit of a struggle as they just chase everything like headless chickens and he does not get enough time.I disagree as he was very decent in Perth also...I'm not his biggest fan tbh but the criticism of him is way OTT...then you have a fans favourite like Boyle ( who I like myself) but he's missed about 6 x 1 on 1s with keepers in league and cup already this season but nothing is said coz he's a fans favourite...just shows the difference in people's mentality sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

FifeHibs
26-08-2018, 09:03 AM
I disagree as he was very decent in Perth also...I'm not his biggest fan tbh but the criticism of him is way OTT...then you have a fans favourite like Boyle ( who I like myself) but he's missed about 6 x 1 on 1s with keepers in league and cup already this season but nothing is said coz he's a fans favourite...just shows the difference in people's mentality sometimes.

I thought he was good up at Perth.
I was using them as an example of a team that just runs and kicks everything, don't really give us time on the ball.
Whittaker has allot of talent (not many will
play in UEFA cup finals) and can get us moving forward with some very intelligent passing

Borderhibbie76
26-08-2018, 09:05 AM
I thought he was good up at Perth.
I was using them as an example of a team that just runs and kicks everything, don't really give us time on the ball.
Whittaker has allot of talent (not many will
play in UEFA cup finals) and can get us moving forward with some very intelligent passing[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Danderhall Hibs
26-08-2018, 09:36 AM
I disagree as he was very decent in Perth also...I'm not his biggest fan tbh but the criticism of him is way OTT...then you have a fans favourite like Boyle ( who I like myself) but he's missed about 6 x 1 on 1s with keepers in league and cup already this season but nothing is said coz he's a fans favourite...just shows the difference in people's mentality sometimes.

I thought we had lost that mentality but it’s back this year. Very noticeable the lack of applause when Whittaker does something well.

seanshow
26-08-2018, 09:40 AM
Whit and Porteous were my standout players excellent performance from both.

You could argue that Porteous is now a certain starter and Paul,Darren and Effe are now in a any 2 from three situation.

Dom'sFirstTouch
26-08-2018, 09:40 AM
Played well. Excellent use of the ball, put in plenty of tackles and even won a header or two.

No, he's not as good on the ball in those tight spaces as Dylan was, but who is?

blackpoolhibs
26-08-2018, 09:41 AM
I was actually very surprised at his performance today, he tackled well, passed well and kept it simple and moved the ball on quickly while playing in that deep holding midfield slot that need quite a bit of fitness, and agility.

The reason i was surprised at this, as i was told on here how his legs had gone? :confused:

B.H.F.C
26-08-2018, 09:42 AM
I thought we had lost that mentality but it’s back this year. Very noticeable the lack of applause when Whittaker does something well.

And even more noticeable is the ‘for f*** sake Whittaker’ when he does something wrong.

Borderhibbie76
26-08-2018, 09:44 AM
I thought we had lost that mentality but it’s back this year. Very noticeable the lack of applause when Whittaker does something well.Yeah it's disappointing...as I say I am not SW's biggest fan and I wasn't first time around neither but the guy deserves a bit of a break off the support. It was better yesterday but you could still hear groans at a misplaced pass etc and some were just desperate for him to make a mistake

Sammy7nil
26-08-2018, 10:15 AM
B

Pretty Boy
26-08-2018, 10:22 AM
Totally brutal.

He's done so much work to make the scapegoat position his own then he turns in a performance like that and puts a bit doubt in peoples minds.

PatHead
26-08-2018, 10:37 AM
His performances to date this season have been poor and he has definitely looked nervous, particularly at ER. Today though he looked a different player, composed on the ball, always available and a threat going forward. I don't think that he will be a consistent starter but he definitely won't let the side down or look out of place when he does come in.

Think you are being unfair on him. Had good performances against St Johnstone, Ross County and now Aberdeen.

It is time to notice he is now consistently playing well.

gaz1875
26-08-2018, 11:16 AM
Best performance since his return, looked assured on the ball, and kept it on the grass rather than launch it up in the air.

The_Horde
26-08-2018, 11:17 AM
I was actually very surprised at his performance today, he tackled well, passed well and kept it simple and moved the ball on quickly while playing in that deep holding midfield slot that need quite a bit of fitness, and agility.

The reason i was surprised at this, as i was told on here how his legs had gone? :confused:

'His legs have gone' is typically used by the folk who like to pretend they see things others don't.

Whitty has had bad games like all players do, but his legs have never been at fault.

hibbyfraelibby
26-08-2018, 11:41 AM
OK he did not hit the ground running due to injury last season but he is back to full fitness, he is regaining his sharpness and confidence and his contribution to the team is improving week after week.

Yesterday when Lennon took off both Sir David and Lewy he slotted Whitty into CH for the last 10 minutes. He can pkay across a number of positions and gives us flexibility when we need to change shape without using up a substitute.

blackpoolhibs
26-08-2018, 11:45 AM
Totally brutal.

He's done so much work to make the scapegoat position his own then he turns in a performance like that and puts a bit doubt in peoples minds.

:agree: Aye but they will all steer clear of this thread, unless its to come on and say how he's still not good enough.

A Hi-Bee
26-08-2018, 02:08 PM
Whitty is a class player who will do a good job for us over the season.

Lago
26-08-2018, 03:22 PM
Best performance since his return, looked assured on the ball, and kept it on the grass rather than launch it up in the air.
The guy has had a good pre season & is fully fit, he also obviously has the support of the manager, it all adds up.

RMQ1967
26-08-2018, 07:46 PM
Delighted to see Whitty have another good game. I was also getting into the mode of expecting him to mess up more time than not but he's played some very nice football in the last couple of games and I hope we see him building on that to have a very good season. Has the talent and experience to be a very valuable player in the squad.

jacomo
26-08-2018, 07:59 PM
And even more noticeable is the ‘for f*** sake Whittaker’ when he does something wrong.

Long been the way unfortunately.

Fan favourites can do nothing wrong.

Boo boys get hammered regardless.

It’s nonsense.

JimBHibees
26-08-2018, 08:02 PM

:greengrin :not worth

rcarter1
26-08-2018, 08:05 PM
Extremely good news if Whittaker is coming into form. Maybe being a bit-part player has made it harder for him to get that confidence going.

Mon yourself Whits! :thumbsup:

matty_f
26-08-2018, 08:15 PM
Extremely good news if Whittaker is coming into form. Maybe being a bit-part player has made it harder for him to get that confidence going.

Mon yourself Whits! :thumbsup:

It's almost as if he might have needed a bit of time to get his match fitness up after pre-season.

500miles
26-08-2018, 08:51 PM
As ever, Whittaker will play well when he has time on the ball and has players around him showing for a pass.

He'll struggle when games are tighter.

He'll be a good option for some games, Bartley will be better for others.

SquashedFrogg
26-08-2018, 09:01 PM
As ever, Whittaker will play well when he has time on the ball and has players around him showing for a pass.

He'll struggle when games are tighter.

He'll be a good option for some games, Bartley will be better for others.

Played really well yesterday and had very little time on the ball. No one did. It was frantic stuff. Or did you think Aberdeen gave him lots of space?

Unless he plays on his own he will always have players showing for a pass.

He was a great option for yesterdays game.

Lago
26-08-2018, 09:04 PM
:top marks
Played really well yesterday and had very little time on the ball. No one did. It was frantic stuff. Or did you think Aberdeen gave him lots of space?

Unless he plays on his own he will always have players showing for a pass.

He was a great option for yesterdays game.

GoalsMcGinley
26-08-2018, 11:06 PM
Having watch the highlights can we put the “it’s a great pass from Whittaker in the build up to the goal” chat to bed. It’s a horrible pass that he over hits. Horgan makes it look better than it was. Having said that. Decent game.

The_Horde
26-08-2018, 11:10 PM
Having watch the highlights can we put the “it’s a great pass from Whittaker in the build up to the goal” chat. It’s a horrible pass that he over hits. Horgan makes it look better than it was. Having said that. Decent game.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though, as he done really well moving with the ball inside to commit a couple of Aberdeen's four thousand defenders.

Viva_Palmeiras
26-08-2018, 11:18 PM

The sports scientist charts must be wrong... “legs gone” would surely be off the chart. Dunno why some players are written off so quickly - apart from mibbie Big Dave (I jest)

Hibbyradge
26-08-2018, 11:58 PM
Having watch the highlights can we put the “it’s a great pass from Whittaker in the build up to the goal” chat to bed. It’s a horrible pass that he over hits. Horgan makes it look better than it was. Having said that. Decent game.

A horrible pass?

It was the perfect pass. A fraction longer and the defender clears. Shorter and the pass to Hanlon isn't possible or it gets blocked.

Passing into a space is not an exact science.

Dancehibs
27-08-2018, 05:49 AM
The sports scientist charts must be wrong... “legs gone” would surely be off the chart. Dunno why some players are written off so quickly - apart from mibbie Big Dave (I jest)
It takes longer for older players to get Upto full match fitness. The previous couple of games helped Whitty and it showed against Aberdeen. Hopefully further progress against Livvy

BILLYHIBS
27-08-2018, 06:04 AM
One 45 yard pass second half from the left back position out to SDG on the right wing was top drawer indeed it was so good and unexpected it took the sheep defence by surprise.:wink:
We need all the good players in form we can get.
Lets get behind the team and encourage the players that are out on the pitch representing our wonderful club.
A few around me on Saturday we’re asking about Slivka who once again seems to have dropped down the pecking order. :dunno:

confused
27-08-2018, 06:07 AM
Whitty has one big problem , he’s a Hibby and like a lot of other players who love the club , he gets a hard time ,

bigwheel
27-08-2018, 06:15 AM
Whitty has one big problem , he’s a Hibby and like a lot of other players who love the club , he gets a hard time ,

Grew up a Jambo.....

Phil MaGlass
27-08-2018, 06:48 AM
Grew up a Jambo.....

The *******, not Hibs class, 😂

Viva_Palmeiras
27-08-2018, 06:57 AM
It takes longer for older players to get Upto full match fitness. The previous couple of games helped Whitty and it showed against Aberdeen. Hopefully further progress against Livvy

Commented as much elsewhere. Don't see why folks don't get that?