Probably about right.

Ringothedog
25-08-2018, 08:36 PM
Probably about right.

If it’s the official attendance it is correct 😉

Hermit Crab
25-08-2018, 08:41 PM
If it’s the official attendance it is correct 😉

Hibs have got previous for announcing tickets sold rather than actual bums on seats...

murray26
25-08-2018, 08:50 PM
Hibs have got previous for announcing tickets sold rather than actual bums on seats...

Hearts have done it for years Hibs started doing it recently no big deal..

iwasthere1972
25-08-2018, 08:58 PM

Who are you calling a bum? Had to miss the Motherwell game and the game today due to ill health. Hoping to get some use out of my season ticket soon. Don't half miss going to see the Hibees.

wallpaperman
25-08-2018, 09:00 PM

Jesus, how many times does it need said. Every club does it.

When Celtic announce 59,000 there are probably 40,000 there half the time.

It's just the way it is.

pacoluna
25-08-2018, 09:00 PM

How else would you be able to give an official attendance?

Newcastlehibby
25-08-2018, 09:05 PM
How else would you be able to give an official attendance?
Attendance = the number who actually attended, not the number who had a ticket.

Hermit Crab
25-08-2018, 09:07 PM

Spot on mate.

RoxburghHibs
18500 is about right - great turn out

Lancs Harp

Its not been that way for quite a while mate. Both North and South of the Border the official attendance is tickets sold. Like it or not.

RoxburghHibs
25-08-2018, 09:09 PM
Its not been that way for quite a while mate. Both North and South of the Border the official attendance is tickets sold. Like it or not.

Yip spot on.

Newcastlehibby
25-08-2018, 09:14 PM
Maybe so but that is not the attendance. I can recall on here when Hibs gave the actual attendance figure and Hearts gave the ‘tickets sold’ figure, people were hurling all kinds of abuse. Now it’s ok apparently.

RoxburghHibs
25-08-2018, 09:17 PM
Maybe so but that is not the attendance. I can recall on here when Hibs gave the actual attendance figure and Hearts gave the ‘tickets sold’ figure, people were hurling all kinds of abuse. Now it’s ok apparently.

Oh well if all we are worried about is the attendance we are in a good place. It’s hardly important.

Lancs Harp
25-08-2018, 09:19 PM

Yes thats the way of it fella. The "attendance" figure announced at the match, stated in the all the newspapers, printed in the programme is the number of tickets sold not the actual number of bums (pardon the expression) on seats. The tax man probably likes it. It is what t is, no point trying to sit on the beach trying to stop the tide coming in. Its a fact.

wallpaperman
Every club is now consistent, so why waste energy getting in a flap about it. They pay VAT on tickets sold, regardless of whether the ticket holder turns up, that is likely the reason for the current way of doing things.

Nutmegged

Ringothedog
25-08-2018, 09:25 PM

The difference is that you can only sell a seat once, if you sell 20000 tickets for a game and only 17500 what crowd do you give? I am sure HMRC would be interested. Do we try something different and give both tickets sold and actual attendance or do we decide that’ it is actually not that important an issue.

RoxburghHibs
25-08-2018, 09:29 PM
The difference is that you can only sell a seat once, if you sell 20000 tickets for a game and only 17500 what crowd do you give? I am sure HMRC would be interested. Do we try something different and give both tickets sold and actual attendance or do we decide that’ it is actually not that important an issue.

Do we really care? Good crowds, good team, great club 🇳🇬

CMac1988
25-08-2018, 09:33 PM

They used it as ammunition to play their "big team" card. Hence the the annoyance as they gave tickets sold as opposed to us who must've been one of the only teams in the land to report actual attendance. We now do what everyone else does. Is what it is.

SRHibs
25-08-2018, 09:59 PM
Announce it as tickets sold then. Calling it the “attendance” is literally just incorrect.

Ringothedog
25-08-2018, 10:02 PM
Do we really care? Good crowds, good team, great club 🇳🇬

I certainly don’t, although it seems important to others on here

Ringothedog
25-08-2018, 10:03 PM
Announce it as tickets sold then. Calling it the “attendance” is literally just incorrect.

Is it really that important an issue?

RoxburghHibs
25-08-2018, 10:04 PM
I certainly don’t, although it seems important to others on here

It’s always the same few.

Michael
25-08-2018, 10:06 PM
Is it really that important an issue?

No, but why can't we get both figures? Would be quite interesting I think.

Ringothedog
25-08-2018, 10:13 PM

Again my answer would be “is it really that important?” I don’t think it is but others do, if you(or they) believe it’s important contact the club and ask them to give both figures. I for one couldn’t care less

RoxburghHibs
25-08-2018, 10:14 PM

Nah just opens the club to ridicule. The people in charge of our club get the importance of positive spin. It’s what all other clubs have done for years.

Ringothedog
25-08-2018, 10:20 PM
Nah just opens the club to ridicule. The people in charge of our club get the importance of positive spin. It’s what all other clubs have done for years.

And this is why we get the crowds we do just now, people want to be part of something successful and when tickets become difficult to get they sell more quickly. That’s why Hibs give tickets sold as the attendance. If we keep progressing our average tickets sold will be close to 20k

RoxburghHibs
25-08-2018, 10:29 PM
And this is why we get the crowds we do just now, people want to be part of something successful and when tickets become difficult to get they sell more quickly. That’s why Hibs give tickets sold as the attendance. If we keep progressing our average tickets sold will be close to 20k

:top marks

Danderhall Hibs
25-08-2018, 11:19 PM
The difference is that you can only sell a seat once,.

Not anymore - if the ticket is released by a season ticket holder the club sell it again.

Would that mean we could in theory have an official attendance that’s higher than the number of seats in the ground?

Lancs Harp
25-08-2018, 11:24 PM
Not anymore - if the ticket is released by a season ticket holder the club sell it again.

Would that mean we could in theory have an official attendance that’s higher than the number of seats in the ground?

No

For attendance figure purposes once the seat is released its unsold.

houstonhibbee
25-08-2018, 11:30 PM

bet it doesn't include resales which is taxable income......

LancashireHibby
26-08-2018, 05:22 AM
I bet it does because they will already have paid VAT on the season ticket receipts, and any upgrades or ST re-sales will involve issuing a match ticket and therefore included in the gate receipts for that particular fixture.

By the same token, the taxman isn’t one bit bothered about the announced attendance as long as the total gate receipts are declared.

There is literally zero protocol in terms of the mechanics of what crowd is announced - I have first hand experience of professional sports clubs who simply ‘name their crowd’ - and in reality it only really matters to those who have dick measuring contests with Jambos. The people that actually rely on these things, such as the board and marketing and finance departments and indeed shareholders, will always have access to the true figures, both in terms of actual numbers attending and most importantly the financial figures.

superfurryhibby
26-08-2018, 07:36 AM
It was a great turnout from Hibs and the Sheep fans. The South lower was pretty busy too and it gave me an unfamiliar view of the stadium. As always, the number of folk who arrive after kick off is pretty unimpressive. I hate being late in, but I guess the lure of an another five minutes in the boozer must mean a lot to folks.

The issue of no shows in the family section is a bit of a joke though. I would have preferred to have swapped my seat, with my youngest boy over from Spain and sat in that section, but they were sold out. It was obvious that there were big gaps and not judt behind the goals. Club needs to monitor this more.

Famous Fiver
26-08-2018, 07:43 AM
Fantastic that whining/discussion(depending on your point of view) is going on about this issue.

It points out to me that if this is getting Hibs.net knickers in a twist, NL must be getting it right on the park!!!

Great days to be a Hibbie!

Ringothedog
26-08-2018, 08:34 AM

If a seat has been bought as a season ticket, it is sold, if that person does not turn up it is still sold, if they contact Hibs to release the seat it becomes available, if that seat is then resold by Hibs we have gained in two ways(as have HMRC) we gain more income and there is somebody in that seat cheering on the team rather than it being empty

Keith_M
26-08-2018, 09:49 AM

What's with the 'previous', as if they were doing something underhand?

Your beloved Hearts have been announcing tickets sold over actual attendance for years, and now Hibs are doing it.

Dancehibs
26-08-2018, 10:36 AM
Do you have an issue? Is there something inappropriate going on? It’s club policy. Not sure why there is any drama around it. Between 10 and 15% season ticket holders don’t turn up. In our group of ten, two weren’t at the game.

linlithgowhibbie
26-08-2018, 10:42 AM
What's with the 'previous', as if they were doing something underhand?

Your beloved Hearts have been announcing tickets sold over actual attendance for years, and now Hibs are doing it.

Hermits "Beloved Hearts" that's a good one, you should try out at the comedy club:thumbsup:

Keith_M
26-08-2018, 10:54 AM
Hermits "Beloved Hearts" that's a good one, you should try out at the comedy club:thumbsup:

You're too easily amused.

Hibby70
26-08-2018, 11:08 AM
If a seat has been bought as a season ticket, it is sold, if that person does not turn up it is still sold, if they contact Hibs to release the seat it becomes available, if that seat is then resold by Hibs we have gained in two ways(as have HMRC) we gain more income and there is somebody in that seat cheering on the team rather than it being empty

Does beg the question of whether Hibs report the attendance as 2 in this instance. Could we see an "attendance" of 22k theoretically?

Hibbyradge
26-08-2018, 11:14 AM

The number of tickets sold is has been used by Hibs for years now.

NAE NOOKIE
26-08-2018, 11:30 AM
I was unable to attend yesterday because of a wedding … where 'the sash my father wore' was played as the happy couple left the church, and I'm not even joking :confused:

Anyway, I watched the game on ALBA and the actual attendance from what I saw on TV was clearly a good bit short of the 18 thousand odd that Hibs gave out. I was a bit surprised to see the number of ST seats that were unoccupied …. that was the first home game I've missed for years, though a friend was using my ticket so my seat was occupied, but I do scratch my head at the comparatively high number of ST holders there appears to be missing at most home games.

Surely if you are prepared to cough up north of £300 for a seat in the east you would want to be at every game if you can … it does make me wonder how many of our new found devotees will stick around when the going gets tough if so many of them aren't turning up when the team is so entertaining to watch and its one of our biggest home games of the season.

lord bunberry
26-08-2018, 11:49 AM
I was unable to attend yesterday because of a wedding … where 'the sash my father wore' was played as the happy couple left the church, and I'm not even joking :confused:

Anyway, I watched the game on ALBA and the actual attendance from what I saw on TV was clearly a good bit short of the 18 thousand odd that Hibs gave out. I was a bit surprised to see the number of ST seats that were unoccupied …. that was the first home game I've missed for years, though a friend was using my ticket so my seat was occupied, but I do scratch my head at the comparatively high number of ST holders there appears to be missing at most home games.

Surely if you are prepared to cough up north of £300 for a seat in the east you would want to be at every game if you can … it does make me wonder how many of our new found devotees will stick around when the going gets tough if so many of them aren't turning up when the team is so entertaining to watch and its one of our biggest home games of the season.
I used to have my season ticket in the east so I couldn’t really tell how full it was, but having moved over to the west this season it’s really surprising how many empty seats there is in the east. It’s the fact that at times there’s bunches of seats empty that surprised me the most. We must have a couple of thousand season ticket holders not turning up.
I cant say it’s something that bothers me in in any way, it’s just a bit surprising.

A Hi-Bee
26-08-2018, 12:04 PM
I used to have my season ticket in the east so I couldn’t really tell how full it was, but having moved over to the west this season it’s really surprising how many empty seats there is in the east. It’s the fact that at times there’s bunches of seats empty that surprised me the most. We must have a couple of thousand season ticket holders not turning up.
I cant say it’s something that bothers me in in any way, it’s just a bit surprising.

I really dont see the fascination with all this official attendance talk, who cares, sounds like something the unwashed from Gorgie would be crowing about.
Seats sold are seats sold no matter if anyone sits in it, the club still has the money.
People dont manage to all games for a million and one reasons its called life.

WhileTheChief..
Scrap season tickets altogether and just have every game pay as you go. No argument about attendance then and folk can sit wherever they want.

Two birds, one stone :cb

cleanyman
I'd day there was about 16 k at the game.

FF was sparse once again

lord bunberry
26-08-2018, 12:13 PM
I really dont see the fascination with all this official attendance talk, who cares, sounds like something the unwashed from Gorgie would be crowing about.
Seats sold are seats sold no matter if anyone sits in it, the club still has the money.
You’re right. I couldn’t care less if people turn up or not, I care even less about how the attendance figures are reported. I was just saying it was surprising to see so many empty seats in the east. When I sat in the east I always assumed it was full.

Lago
26-08-2018, 12:13 PM
Most clubs seem to do it now.

Ringothedog
26-08-2018, 12:20 PM

FF was sparse once again

😂

Ringothedog
26-08-2018, 12:22 PM
Does beg the question of whether Hibs report the attendance as 2 in this instance. Could we see an "attendance" of 22k theoretically?

The answer to that is no

NAE NOOKIE
26-08-2018, 12:23 PM

Nobody is that bothered about Hibs giving the attendance as tickets sold, we appear to have fallen in line with practically every other club in that.

Its not folk missing the odd game that folk are expressing surprise at either, its the number of them every week. Our support must have a hell of a social life or be terribly unlucky with life events that we have so many ST holders missing every week. That's all folk are raising an eyebrow at, I don't think anybody is wetting their knickers over it TBH :dunno:

Keith_M
26-08-2018, 12:33 PM
Nobody is that bothered about Hibs giving the attendance as tickets sold, we appear to have fallen in line with practically every other club in that.

Its not folk missing the odd game that folk are expressing surprise at either, its the number of them every week. Our support must have a hell of a social life or be terribly unlucky with life events that we have so many ST holders missing every week. That's all folk are raising an eyebrow at, I don't think anybody is wetting their knickers over it TBH :dunno:

That's where I am, NN.

It's just a bit surprising, more than anything else, to have 1,500-2,000 Season Ticket Holders not attending a game against Aberdeen.

I try to think of it this way, we just had a game against Aberdeen where roughly 17,000 people actually attended. Good times to be living in, I think.

Chuck Rhoades
26-08-2018, 12:35 PM
Still holiday season, can folk chill out.

Be interesting to see if the folk on here complaining were even at the match.

Chuck Rhoades
26-08-2018, 12:38 PM

FF was sparse once again

Attachment

Brooster
26-08-2018, 12:44 PM
Attachment

Not too bad although there is a few clumps of empty seats. Maybe they filled up when the game started because that photo was clearly not during the game. If they didn't fill up what could be the reason? Large groups of fans who have bought seats together or KfK going unused? I don't know.

Blaster
26-08-2018, 12:47 PM
Did anyone miss out on a ticket yesterday?

Mmm thought not

Onceinawhile
26-08-2018, 01:30 PM
Not too bad although there is a few clumps of empty seats. Maybe they filled up when the game started because that photo was clearly not during the game. If they didn't fill up what could be the reason? Large groups of fans who have bought seats together or KfK going unused? I don't know.

My seats are empty there and all three of mine were full come kick off. There was quite a few late arrivers so that's not a proper gauge of how the stand was.

Hibernia&Alba
26-08-2018, 01:33 PM

Excellent. It's only a few years since around 8,000 was the norm.

Turkish Green
27-08-2018, 12:18 AM
The only figure of relevance is the ticket sales as this is of interest to HMRC. Hibs are hardly going to publish a higher figure.

However, I do agree that the word "attendance" is somewhat misleading.

Nakedmanoncrack
27-08-2018, 09:55 AM
The only figure of relevance is the ticket sales as this is of interest to HMRC. Hibs are hardly going to publish a higher figure.

However, I do agree that the word "attendance" is somewhat misleading.

I very much doubt there is a box on the HMRC form for declaring each and every attendance, which wouldnt tell them anything anyway as not everyone paying same price.

The only figures the tax office are interested in are total income.

CropleyWasGod
27-08-2018, 09:59 AM
I very much doubt there is a box on the HMRC form for declaring each and every attendance, which wouldnt tell them anything anyway as not everyone paying same price.

That's correct.

In reality, it is very difficult these days to under-declare income. Gone are the days when most people paid by cash, and clubs could use, say, "Gates 18-20" for players' bonuses. Nowadays, with the majority paying electronically, that income goes to the one place.

Peevemor
27-08-2018, 10:03 AM

Hibs are required to keep a detailed account of every transaction. The number of STs will be known together with the amounts paid, then for each match they will add the number of tickets sold and for what price for each stand.

Criswell
27-08-2018, 10:14 PM
Re empty seats in the East. It would help if people were made to take up their seats rather than standing up at the very top. Also the "standing" section at the south end seems to me to be somewhat overpopulated.