PDA

View Full Version : Martin Boyle

HFC_NYC
25-08-2018, 08:22 PM
Not a striker. One of the best wingers in the league. Stop wasting him up front.

Hi Heid Yin
25-08-2018, 08:28 PM
Not a striker. One of the best wingers in the league. Stop wasting him up front.

I understand where you are coming from, but it makes little difference whether Boyle runs at defenders from the wing or from the middle, our "road runner" gets them panicking to the point of putting 2 defenders on him, which leaves space for one of our strikers. He's great to watch.

HFC_NYC
25-08-2018, 08:29 PM
But his finishing is atrocious , he's far more effective getting the ball in for two bona fide strikers.

AFKA5814_Hibs
25-08-2018, 08:37 PM
He had a brilliant run late on when he rode a challenge from an Aberdeen player but managed to stay on his feet only to be flattened by the next challenge. Looking forward to having Boyle on one wing, Horgan on the other with McLaren and Kamberi up front.

BILLYHIBS
25-08-2018, 08:41 PM
I have been watching HIBS for fifty years and I don’t think I have ever seen two opposition players being booked for two seperate challenges on a HIBS player when he is on a penetrating run!

Pedantic_Hibee
25-08-2018, 08:44 PM
I have been watching HIBS for fifty years and I don’t think I have ever seen two opposition players being booked for two seperate challenges on a HIBS player when he is on a penetrating run!

Ditto. Except it's 30 years for me.

Said to my old man today, he'll go for over 1.5m when a team takes a chance on him.

His final ball now, allied to his workrate and outrageous scampering runs mean he's now arguably our biggest threat.

Hermit Crab
25-08-2018, 08:47 PM
He had a brilliant run late on when he rode a challenge from an Aberdeen player but managed to stay on his feet only to be flattened by the next challenge. Looking forward to having Boyle on one wing, Horgan on the other with McLaren and Kamberi up front.

I criticised Boyle last week for not beating his man often enough, today he was much better and had the Aberdeen full backs back peddling on numerous occasions and they pretty much resorted to just taking him out in the end. His finishing is horrendous though.

I was desperate to see Agyepong today, he was still out warming up in stoppage time which I though was strange. I was told today that Barker has said Agyepong is so quick that he makes Barker look like a snail. :greengrin

IberianHibernian
25-08-2018, 08:48 PM
Probably our most - improved player in last couple of years but just as in Championship ( home game against St Mirren for example when he missed 4 sitters in 15 minutes ) he is nowhere no good enough a finisher to be one of our strikers . He was great today in last 20 minutes when running at defenders but if SDG continues to play well and Kamberi and Maclaren recover last season`s form when fit can`t see where Boyle would fit into starting team against top 6 teams . Fantastic player to have as a sub or against bottom six or lower division teams in cups .

Cod Boy
25-08-2018, 08:50 PM
This is why we need to bring in another striker before next Friday.

Hermit Crab
25-08-2018, 08:53 PM

Hopefully mate. :agree:

iwasthere1972
25-08-2018, 08:55 PM

My thoughts too.

Centre Hawf
25-08-2018, 09:00 PM

I keep hearing people say this. I disagree. We have Maclaren, Kamberi, and Shaw. We sometimes don’t play with 2 up top and people want to add a 4th name? We have bigger worries than striker imo.

pacoluna
25-08-2018, 09:02 PM
Top marks for off target attempts.

BILLYHIBS
25-08-2018, 09:03 PM
Ditto. Except it's 30 years for me.

Said to my old man today, he'll go for over 1.5m when a team takes a chance on him.

His final ball now, allied to his workrate and outrageous scampering runs mean he's now arguably our biggest threat.
Agree has a brilliant turn of pace and is very brave but one thing that the first half proved today is the fact that he is not a striker! He has a good shot on him but struggles to hit the target. I felt that we were crying out for Boyle wide right with MacLaren and Shaw going through the middle.I would not be surprised if we bring in another two recruits before the window shuts.:wink:

Cod Boy
25-08-2018, 09:04 PM
I keep hearing people say this. I disagree. We have Maclaren, Kamberi, and Shaw. We sometimes don’t play with 2 up top and people want to add a 4th name? We have bigger worries than striker imo.

Lennon on radio after match saying he is looking to bring another striker in.

GlesgaeHibby
25-08-2018, 09:09 PM
Probably our most - improved player in last couple of years but just as in Championship ( home game against St Mirren for example when he missed 4 sitters in 15 minutes ) he is nowhere no good enough a finisher to be one of our strikers . He was great today in last 20 minutes when running at defenders but if SDG continues to play well and Kamberi and Maclaren recover last season`s form when fit can`t see where Boyle would fit into starting team against top 6 teams . Fantastic player to have as a sub or against bottom six or lower division teams in cups .

I would drop Gray and have him at RWB, and I rate Gray. Boyle needs to be played out wide tho imo.

FifeHibs
25-08-2018, 09:11 PM
I would drop Gray and have him at RWB, and I rate Gray. Boyle needs to be played out wide tho imo.

I think we may see Horgan as the other wingback, if this week goes to plan :)

ancient hibee
25-08-2018, 09:16 PM
For me it’s one or the other depending on the opposition.

IberianHibernian
25-08-2018, 09:25 PM
I keep hearing people say this. I disagree. We have Maclaren, Kamberi, and Shaw. We sometimes don’t play with 2 up top and people want to add a 4th name? We have bigger worries than striker imo.You`re assuming Kamberi is fit soon and that he and Maclaren recover last season`s form and that Shaw continues to progress . Not sure if Lewis Allan could make first team soon but with reserve league matches and first team think we need another striker but would prefer to wait till January for someone good instead of rushing into signing battering ram type like Holt / Graham / Big Dave or veteran like K Miller if we haven`t identified anyone else now .

DH1875
25-08-2018, 09:47 PM
As much as i like him, IF Kamberi and Maclaren combine anything like they did last season then Martin Boyle should not be playing through the middle for us.

The_Horde
25-08-2018, 09:50 PM
If he keeps playing the way he is he'll be capped very soon and we'll be expecting bids.

Pretty Boy
25-08-2018, 09:52 PM
He's a bit like an excited child when he gets in to shooting range. Twice today he got in to good positions and both times he shot miles over, he also had an opportunity when he was through on Lewis and you just knew he wasn't scoring.

You have to love him though. A couple of his runs will be giving the Aberdeen defenders nightmares for weeks and they resorted to just kicking him to stop him. If he had a bit composure he's be playing at a far higher level.

Shrekko
25-08-2018, 09:53 PM
Top marks for off target attempts.

Aye very good.

It’s possibly his one weakness but hardly reason to ridicule an excellent Hibs player?

DTS
25-08-2018, 09:54 PM
I love boyle and he’s such a threat but honestly he drives insane, just an ounce of composure and a footballing brain in terms of what balls to play and runs to make and he would be a 5 million pound player

Borderhibbie76
25-08-2018, 10:01 PM
But his finishing is atrocious , he's far more effective getting the ball in for two bona fide strikers.Agreed his finishing is absolutely brutal ....should only be played wide or not at all imo ..I love squirrel but he's never a striker

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
25-08-2018, 10:02 PM
I love boyle and he’s such a threat but honestly he drives insane, just an ounce of composure and a footballing brain in terms of what balls to play and runs to make and he would be a 5 million pound player

Worth more than McGinn? Naw.

Borderhibbie76
25-08-2018, 10:02 PM
Lennon on radio after match saying he is looking to bring another striker in.Good as we need one imo

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

IberianHibernian
25-08-2018, 10:09 PM
If he keeps playing the way he is he'll be capped very soon and we'll be expecting bids. Was there not talk of him playing for Australia ( ? ) last year ? For Scotland , suppose he`d be an impact sub for winter games , maybe more for summer friendlies when main players take a break . Not sure if Scotland caps raise transfer value much if at all , probably worth more if clubs know he won`t be risking injury on international duty .

Spudster
25-08-2018, 10:29 PM
I understand where you are coming from, but it makes little difference whether Boyle runs at defenders from the wing or from the middle, our "road runner" gets them panicking to the point of putting 2 defenders on him, which leaves space for one of our strikers. He's great to watch.
That’s simply not true. If he knocks past a a full back he has space to run into. Not the same when he’s through the middle IMO

The Leith Dutch
25-08-2018, 10:47 PM

Nope. We need to bring in Scott Allan.

Kamberi, MacLaren, Shaw with Boyle as backup is fine for the formations we're likely to play.
Flo and Jamie are a good partnership and outside that, given the wingers we've signed, I suspect we'll be playing with one up front more often than not.

Allan is the addition to the team required.

Mikey_1875
25-08-2018, 10:58 PM
If Boyle could finish and have consistent end product along with the pace he has then he wouldn't be playing here at hibs.

Agree he is much better out on the wing and a joy to watch but a real headache of where to fit him in our current formation.

AFKA5814_Hibs
25-08-2018, 11:11 PM
I criticised Boyle last week for not beating his man often enough, today he was much better and had the Aberdeen full backs back peddling on numerous occasions and they pretty much resorted to just taking him out in the end. His finishing is horrendous though.

I was desperate to see Agyepong today, he was still out warming up in stoppage time which I though was strange. I was told today that Barker has said Agyepong is so quick that he makes Barker look like a snail. :greengrin

Boyle knows himself he's not CF. He can take a player on and create chances that's what we should be utilising him as. At the moment there are few players in Scotland who are as good as he is in his position.

It's fair we are only playing him in a central forward position due to injuries to McLaren and Kamberi.

I do look forward to seeing Agyepong coming on for Boyle/Horgan.

Criswell
25-08-2018, 11:16 PM
His goal against Motherwell showed what he is capable of. Of course, we would all like to see that more consistently. However, he does bring a certain dynamic to the team with his pace and ball skills and certainly deserves his place in the starting eleven.

CMurdoch
25-08-2018, 11:28 PM
Has improved massively in the last couple of years but still needs to get his head up before making the final pass.
Composure and accuracy is what separates the great wide players from the guys that can simply run fast.
He will get a game for Hibs for many years as he is but will only move onto bigger things if the final ball improves massively.
Fingers crossed he continues to improve .............but not enough that we lose him.