james62
25-08-2018, 06:24 PM
How does the song go?

Pedantic_Hibee
25-08-2018, 06:25 PM
Gash

Hi Heid Yin
25-08-2018, 06:27 PM
Maclaren is our "poacher"..the kind that every team needs in tight games and when the opposition camp in their own box.

CMac1988
25-08-2018, 06:28 PM
It's strange. His all round game isn't up too much but maybe that's a bit harsh. In a game where we needed the ball to stick up front more I thought at the time it was a strange sub but there's no denying his predator instinct. Great poacher. Has that knack for knowing where and when to be in the box and it paid dividends today. Thankful for that bit of composure in a game where our strikers didn't look like they could get a shot on target.

cleanyman
25-08-2018, 06:40 PM
Get good delivery into the box and look what happens.

Tricla
25-08-2018, 07:26 PM
It's strange. His all round game isn't up too much but maybe that's a bit harsh. In a game where we needed the ball to stick up front more I thought at the time it was a strange sub but there's no denying his predator instinct. Great poacher. Has that knack for knowing where and when to be in the box and it paid dividends today. Thankful for that bit of composure in a game where our strikers didn't look like they could get a shot on target.

Always thought that of players like McCoist and Lineker. Didn't contribute an awful lot but were always in the right place at the right time and could finish.

Good to have a player with that instinct. Once Kamberi is fit he'll do the bits Macca lacks and vice versa. Great foil for each other.

SouthMoroccoStu
25-08-2018, 07:27 PM
Great to see him of the mark for the season

Him and flo are easily among the best striking partnerships in Scotland

Nevi_SOL
25-08-2018, 07:30 PM
How does the song go?

I’ll love you until my hearts aches
He loves the ****ing Hibees
He turned the Jambo down
Jamie Maclaren

SChibs
25-08-2018, 07:31 PM
Gash

Great

BILLYHIBS
25-08-2018, 07:32 PM
Seem to remember a poster on here calling him GASH!

:faf:

murray26
25-08-2018, 07:55 PM
Good player glad to have him.. well done Jamie first of many this season..

Chic Murray
25-08-2018, 07:58 PM
Der Bomber (Gerd Muller for younger fans.)

BILLYHIBS
25-08-2018, 08:03 PM
Der Bomber (Gerd Muller for younger fans.)
Took the words out of my mouth poachers worth their weight in gold :thumbsup:

Hermit Crab
25-08-2018, 08:06 PM
Gash

Not gash but not great either. Will miss a lot more than he'll score.

Keyser Sauzee
25-08-2018, 08:07 PM
Not gash but not great either. Will miss a lot more than he'll score.

Can show me a striker who won’t miss a lot more than they will score?

bawheid
25-08-2018, 08:07 PM
That’s it! Gash Muller. Sorted.

Diclonius
25-08-2018, 08:08 PM
Scored against Celtic, Rangers (4), Hearts and Aberdeen now.

SirDavidsNapper
25-08-2018, 08:08 PM
So glad to see him get off the mark. First of many.

Hermit Crab
25-08-2018, 08:09 PM
That’s it! Gash Muller. Sorted.

:faf:

Hermit Crab
25-08-2018, 08:10 PM
Can show me a striker who won’t miss a lot more than they will score?

Shankland, 40 goals in 40 games. :greengrin

Keyser Sauzee
25-08-2018, 08:11 PM

How many chances does he miss?

Hermit Crab
25-08-2018, 08:13 PM

You'll need to ask an Ayr fan.

Keyser Sauzee
25-08-2018, 08:14 PM
You'll need to ask an Ayr fan.

Point being uv no idea and every striker in the world will miss lots more chances than they’ll score.

Borderhibbie76
25-08-2018, 08:16 PM
Not gash but not great either. Will miss a lot more than he'll score.Oh behave...would u rather we have someone like Boyle upfront all season who misses chance after chance after Chance. The boy can score goals get off his case

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
25-08-2018, 08:22 PM
Oh behave...would u rather we have someone like Boyle upfront all season who misses chance after chance after Chance. The boy can score goals get off his case

You not having a go at the poster who actually posted gash??

Hermit Crab
25-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Point being uv no idea and every striker in the world will miss lots more chances than they’ll score.

My opinion is that I don't think he's gash but I don't think he'll score more than 20 this season either.

Borderhibbie76
You not having a go at the poster who actually posted gash??No you said he isn't great and will miss more than he scores didn't u?? Or are you not referring to Jamie Mac??

Keyser Sauzee
My opinion is that I don't think he's gash but I don't think he'll score more than 20 this season either.

That’s a better way of putting it.

Bostonhibby
25-08-2018, 08:26 PM
Boys a nuisance to defenders. They've got to follow him around, he creates space for others and he only scores goals.

Everything about him and the fact he seems to have wanted to be at Hibs twice now means he's good enough for me.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Robbo6-2
25-08-2018, 08:27 PM
Great signing and a brilliant goalscorer.

Off the mark now to get his season up and running. Has to start now

Hermit Crab
25-08-2018, 08:27 PM
No you said he isn't great and will miss more than he scores didn't u?? Or are you not referring to Jamie Mac??

See post number 3.

Borderhibbie76
25-08-2018, 08:33 PM
See post number 3.I think the poster is being "ironic" given a previous comment by another poster weeks ago...

bubblesmorrison
25-08-2018, 08:36 PM
Gash

Clueless!

Pedantic_Hibee
I think the poster is being "ironic" given a previous comment by another poster weeks ago...

Finally, someone gets it 😂

I think MacLaren, for what he does, is fantastic at our level.

For movement, intelligent running and being in the right place at the right time, there's very, very, very few strikers in Scotland who are his equal.

Hermit Crab
I think the poster is being "ironic" given a previous comment by another poster weeks ago...

Ah, ok, I wasn't to know that unfortunately.

Borderhibbie76
25-08-2018, 08:38 PM
Finally, someone gets it [emoji23]

For movement, intelligent running and being in the right place at the right time, there's very, very, very few strikers in Scotland who are his equal.Couldn't agree more mate 100% some have short memories...would they rather a James Collins type who runs about all day and scores once in a lifetime??

Bostonhibby
25-08-2018, 08:39 PM

For movement, intelligent running and being in the right place at the right time, there's very, very, very few strikers in Scotland who are his equal.Amen to that. [emoji106]

25-08-2018, 08:54 PM
I don't recall Jamie having had any clear cut chances yet since he rejoined until today's one when he took very well. It is the sort of chance Simon Murray would probably have missed.

8 goals in 892 minutes in the league for Maclaren last season and 1 in 103 so far this season. If he keeps up that strike rate I'll be delighted. Fingers crossed we get Scotty back.

murray26
25-08-2018, 08:55 PM
Finally, someone gets it 😂

For movement, intelligent running and being in the right place at the right time, there's very, very, very few strikers in Scotland who are his equal.

👍 he’ll get better when he has Flo beside him.. I reckon he’ll get 15 league goals atleast..

Hermit Crab
25-08-2018, 08:56 PM
I don't recall Jamie having had any clear cut chances yet since he rejoined until today's one when he took very well. It is the sort of chance Simon Murray would probably have missed.

8 goals in 892 minutes in the league for Maclaren last season and 1 in 103 so far this season. If he keeps up that strike rate I'll be delighted. Fingers crossed we get Scotty back.

You weren't at St Johnstone away then, he missed a sitter.

Elephant Stone
25-08-2018, 08:58 PM
His scoring record is as good as it gets and he's scoring in important games. Undeniably a wonderful signing so far.

25-08-2018, 09:06 PM

I was but don't remember it. If he is averaging a goal every 120 minutes, we can forgive him the occasional missed chance can't we?

GoalsMcGinley
25-08-2018, 09:25 PM

15-20 goals this season. 100%. Anyone who can’t see what he brings has no idea about the so called “hardest part of the game”. He’s a penalty box goal scorer. Worth their weight in gold!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forza Fred
25-08-2018, 10:41 PM
Great signing and a brilliant goalscorer.

Off the mark now to get his season up and running. Has to start now

Surely this name and number is blaring out which team this poster follows......certainly can’t accuse him/her of being an undercover agent.....

JimBHibees
25-08-2018, 10:44 PM

Playing 2 levels below against mostly part timers

Scouse Hibee
25-08-2018, 11:58 PM

Not as many as Boyle.

Glory Lurker
26-08-2018, 12:09 AM
MacLaren has pace, vision, and gets on the end of it. He's great.

End of.

Onceinawhile
26-08-2018, 12:55 AM
Playing 2 levels below against mostly part timers

1 level below against mostly professional outfits.

KWJ
26-08-2018, 01:09 AM

That wasn't a sitter.

Callum_62
26-08-2018, 06:02 AM

When was the last time we had someone score over 20?

Gets near 20 and its a very good season

Heisenberg
26-08-2018, 06:06 AM
I don’t understand why some don’t rate him. He’s a striker and his main job is to put the ball in the net which he does on a regular basis. Give me MacLaren over a hard worker like Simon Murray/James Collins every time.

DetroitHibs
26-08-2018, 06:40 AM
When was the last time we had someone score over 20?

Gets near 20 and its a very good season

Think Jason Cummings hit 20 plus goals three years running.

LaMotta
26-08-2018, 07:06 AM
I don’t understand why some don’t rate him. He’s a striker and his main job is to put the ball in the net which he does on a regular basis. Give me MacLaren over a hard worker like Simon Murray/James Collins every time.

Agree re Maclaren however please dont compare Murray and Collins in that way because Murray is ten times the player Collins is!

Onion
26-08-2018, 07:31 AM
MacLaren is unlike anyone else we have at ER, a real predator with an eye for goal. Great to have him back, and cannot wait until he's paired up with a fit Kamberi again, supported by our complete midfield.

eastcoasthibby
26-08-2018, 07:34 AM
J Mc when you actually watch him in a game has great movement, which moves defenders around, prior to him coming on Boyle and Oli stood central mostly and either came short or made a dart to try and go over the top, which as was seen anything high at their back 3 was easy pickings. McLaren moves his defender 4-5 yards giving bits of space .....when we eventually get our strongest team on the park, he will be vital to us picking up the penalty box goals that get results. Great to have him at Hibs.

Baw187
26-08-2018, 07:37 AM

Saved me the hassle of writing my own post! This 100%. [emoji1303]

Man Down Under
26-08-2018, 08:22 AM
Pretty sure he had one of the highest goals per minute stats in Scotland last season. I suspect it will be similar this season too.

Sent from my SM-J330G using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
26-08-2018, 08:32 AM
1 level below against mostly professional outfits.

Most of his goals have been in league 1.

Smartie
26-08-2018, 08:40 AM
Jamie McLaren has flaws and isn't a complete player, but without him that game yesterday was a carbon copy of last year's game.

How many times have we forced a decent opening (like we did for the goal) only to have nobody in the middle?

McLaren turns these openings into goals.

Borderhibbie76
26-08-2018, 08:42 AM
Not as many as Boyle.Boyle has missed about 6 1 on 1s with keepers in 4 league and cup games already this season...his finishing is absolutely awful. If that was Jamie Mac or poor Whittaker missing those...they'd be getting dogs abuse

MyJo
26-08-2018, 08:50 AM
MacLaren is a poacher. His main roles are playing in the shoulder of the last man, looking to get on the end of through balls or flick ons from guys like Kamberi or Shaw who will play with their backs to goal. Be in the right place to get on the end of crosses into the box from the wing and to pounce on loose balls in the box after a long range shot from guys like Mallan and Horgan.

He isn’t going to be battling with defenders like Kamberi does and he isn’t going to carry the ball and take on defenders like Boyle does. His job is to be in space, at the right place, at the right time to get the ball in the net.

That means that for large parts of the game he is likely to not be on the ball or heavily involved in the play but he is doing the job he is meant to be by keeping defences under pressure, making runs to give us attacking options, keeping defences stretched and at risk.

I can see why people might think he is anonymous during games because he doesn’t spend a huge amount of time on the ball or have possession as much as others in the team so your not actively watching him as much as others but the majority of his work is done off the ball so that when he does get it he is in a position to try and score.

Anyone suggesting that he isn’t a good player simply doesn’t appreciate the role that he plays.

makaveli1875
26-08-2018, 09:01 AM
McLaren looks like he doesnt do much but i can bet defenders hate playing against him , he's constantly on the move and clever at finding space in the box . When he gets a chance he usually hits the target and works the keeper . More important he can turn it on in the big games with goals v hertz , Sellick , the sheep a winner at Ibrokes and a hat trick v the huns at ER :flag:

HibbyAndy
26-08-2018, 09:10 AM
MacLaren is a poacher. His main roles are playing in the shoulder of the last man, looking to get on the end of through balls or flick ons from guys like Kamberi or Shaw who will play with their backs to goal. Be in the right place to get on the end of crosses into the box from the wing and to pounce on loose balls in the box after a long range shot from guys like Mallan and Horgan.

He isn’t going to be battling with defenders like Kamberi does and he isn’t going to carry the ball and take on defenders like Boyle does. His job is to be in space, at the right place, at the right time to get the ball in the net.

That means that for large parts of the game he is likely to not be on the ball or heavily involved in the play but he is doing the job he is meant to be by keeping defences under pressure, making runs to give us attacking options, keeping defences stretched and at risk.

I can see why people might think he is anonymous during games because he doesn’t spend a huge amount of time on the ball or have possession as much as others in the team so your not actively watching him as much as others but the majority of his work is done off the ball so that when he does get it he is in a position to try and score.

Anyone suggesting that he isn’t a good player simply doesn’t appreciate the role that he plays.

Fantastic post and bang on the money

Smartie
26-08-2018, 09:31 AM

I think we have to get our heads round the fact that there will be long spells in games (possibly entire games) when he doesn't appear to be doing much.

He will win us points this season, just like he did last season.

I also think he's crying out for Kamberi, as he doesn't get anything like as much help from Boyle or Shaw.

thegaffer12
26-08-2018, 09:35 AM
As far as I remember, after his goal when walking back to our half he looked up towards the East and thumped the badge on his kit. I think Hibs are getting special to him.

Dom'sFirstTouch
26-08-2018, 09:45 AM
Excellent finisher. We didn't spend all summer pursuing him to sit him on the bench all season. With the likes of Horgan, Mallan, Boyle and hopefully Allan creating chances I expect him to bang in plenty.

Bostonhibby
26-08-2018, 09:46 AM

Anyone suggesting that he isn’t a good player simply doesn’t appreciate the role that he plays.[emoji106]spot on

One Day Soon
26-08-2018, 09:52 AM

Like. Like. Like.

ancient hibee
26-08-2018, 09:56 AM
We struggled the whole game to get someone free in the box.He comes on and scores when totally unmarked.He's a natural and at the risk of sounding elitist anyone who doesn't understand that knows nothing about football.

blackpoolhibs
26-08-2018, 09:57 AM
I think we have to get our heads round the fact that there will be long spells in games (possibly entire games) when he doesn't appear to be doing much.

He will win us points this season, just like he did last season.

I also think he's crying out for Kamberi, as he doesn't get anything like as much help from Boyle or Shaw.

I have not seen any of that from him, he's constantly on the move creating space and putting defenders under pressure, add in scoring goals and we have a player who does lots, and, is a valuable member of the squad/team.

Sammy7nil
26-08-2018, 10:04 AM
We struggled the whole game to get someone free in the box.He comes on and scores when totally unmarked.He's a natural and at the risk of sounding elitist anyone who doesn't understand that knows nothing about football.

Yip u do sound elitist and ancient :greengrin

Aim Here
26-08-2018, 10:09 AM
Pretty sure he had one of the highest goals per minute stats in Scotland last season. I suspect it will be similar this season too.

Sent from my SM-J330G using Tapatalk

I believe it was the highest goals-per-minute in the Premiership.

That does speak to his weaknesses as well as his strengths, though - when Maclaren isn't getting into the box and scoring, he's not doing much, so if the game is in a state where the midfield aren't able to push balls into places he can score from, he gets hooked in favour of someone who can affect the game more.

Winston Ingram
26-08-2018, 10:24 AM
Finally, someone gets it ��

You make a good point. This is the highest level he’ll get to. His lack of an all round game will stop him stepping up. He had 2 touches all game including his tap in the 15 minutes he was on the pitch.

He will get goals at this level.

CockneyRebel
26-08-2018, 11:30 AM

Probably the best description of MacLaren's abilities and his role in the team that has ever appeared on here. Very very well done. He may not be a superstar but we would surely miss him.

Hibbyradge
26-08-2018, 11:37 AM
Saved me the hassle of writing my own post! This 100%. [emoji1303]

No it didn't. :wink:

Baw187
26-08-2018, 11:38 AM
No it didn't. :wink:

Haha!

Ok, saved me the hassle of putting any effort in to writing it! [emoji16]

Hibbyradge
26-08-2018, 11:42 AM
Haha!

Ok, saved me the hassle of putting any effort in to writing it! [emoji16]

Better 😁

ancient hibee
26-08-2018, 03:20 PM
Yip u do sound elitist and ancient :greengrin

Guilty as charged but more ancient than elitist:greengrin

superfurryhibby
26-08-2018, 04:00 PM

Cracking post, said everything that I think about McLaren. He will contribute a lot of goals over a season with Kamberi beside him. Allan’s added guile would be the icing on the cake.

BILLYHIBS
26-08-2018, 04:17 PM

This is what he does !

Proof that he is not GASH!

:not worth

matty_f
26-08-2018, 05:13 PM
I have not seen any of that from him, he's constantly on the move creating space and putting defenders under pressure, add in scoring goals and we have a player who does lots, and, is a valuable member of the squad/team.

Well said. I'm starting to worry, BH - I've found myself agreeing with almost all of your posts for a while now. :greengrin

Chic Murray
26-08-2018, 05:15 PM
Took the words out of my mouth poachers worth their weight in gold :thumbsup:

It's the way he's prepared to scrap for the ball in the six yard box.

26-08-2018, 06:00 PM
It's the way he's prepared to scrap for the ball in the six yard box.

You mean like this? (just outside 6yd box).

https://youtu.be/dUgQRl2XNb4

My favourite Jamie Maclaren goal so far.

BILLYHIBS
26-08-2018, 06:04 PM
You mean like this?

:top marks

NATURAL ORDER!

JimBHibees
26-08-2018, 07:27 PM

Superb post

allezsauzee
27-08-2018, 10:13 AM
Boyle has missed about 6 1 on 1s with keepers in 4 league and cup games already this season...his finishing is absolutely awful. If that was Jamie Mac or poor Whittaker missing those...they'd be getting dogs abuse

If the Boyler added clinical finishing to the talents that he already, he wouldn't be playing in Scotland. I'm pretty happy with the contribution he makes to the team!

Nicho87
27-08-2018, 10:17 AM
I reckon Maclaren is Lennons hooper whom he had at Celtic. Fox in the box.

Elephant Stone
27-08-2018, 10:23 AM

Wouldn't rule that out completely though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUgQRl2XNb4

B.H.F.C
27-08-2018, 10:41 AM
MacLaren was a bit slow to get going when he signed first time round

Hopefully he’s getting up to speed and can start scoring regularly again. Needs his big mate to get fit though.

Chic Murray
27-08-2018, 10:50 AM
You mean like this? (just outside 6yd box).

That's the one!