PDA

View Full Version : daryl horgan - deserved man of the match

Springbank
25-08-2018, 04:56 PM
thought Daryl Horgan merited a thread after he deservedly won the man of the match award today.

even though he was signed as a winger, i think - on today's showing - a centre midfield trio of horgan, Scott allan and a ball winner (bartley/milligan) would cause havoc.

im not convinced Stevie mallan is ready yet (he needs 3 or 4 months working hard on improving his défensive work when the opposition have the Ball before I'd have him as a starter)

but horgan instantly looks like an all rounder in there, grafting, pace, skill, trickery & good instincts with the Ball and in his défensive duties.

well deserved motm today - well done daryl

Juice-Terry
25-08-2018, 05:00 PM
Excellent performance today. Deserved a goal.

Allant1981
25-08-2018, 05:01 PM
thought Daryl Horgan deserved a thread after he deservedly won the man of the match award today.
though he was signed as a winger i think - on today's showing - a midfield of horgan, Scott allan and a ball winner (bartley/milligan) would cause havoc.

im not convinced Steve mallan is ready (he needs 3 or 4 months working hard on improving his défensive work when the opposition have the Ball before I'd have him as a starter)

but horgan looks like an all rounder in there, grafting, pace, skill, trickery & good instincts with the Ball and in his défensive duties.

well deserved motm today - well done daryl

was agreeing with what you said until you mentioned mallan, he is not a defensive midfielder but is having to play a bit deeper just now, that will change with milligan coming in, to say he should not be starting for the next 3 or 4 months is just ridiculous

lord bunberry
I thought Boyle was man of the match by a long long way.

Onion
Thought he was unplayable in the first 20 mins, covered every inch and ran Aberdeen midfield ragged. Disappeared for a while but came back strong in the final 20 mins. Going to be a shoe in for first 11 once he's fully up to speed and we get our best players back.

The Harp
25-08-2018, 05:02 PM
Superb performance from him, if he keeps it up he'll prove to be a great signing.
Think we'll do the dons in the league cup once Kamberi and Jamie Mac are fully fit and the recent signings have bedded in properly.

SChibs
25-08-2018, 05:04 PM
I really get the OP's point. But would you class Mcgeouch as a defensive mid? No but he played deep for hibs and was effective. I'm not saying Mallan is as good as Dylan but I think Lennon is trying to put him in that position

Springbank
25-08-2018, 05:08 PM
was agreeing with what you said until you mentioned mallan, he is not a defensive midfielder but is having to play a bit deeper just now, that will change with milligan coming in, to say he should not be starting for the next 3 or 4 months is just ridiculous

thanks for the reply - im not saying mallan is a DM though

im saying attacking mids have to contribute more (more than mallan does right now) when weve lost the Ball.

horgan gave a great example of that today.

i see mallan as being the kind of raw talent that lennon will enjoy improving (as he has done with Boyle etc too) getting them to work on the weaknesses while backing them to keep trying all the tricks going forward.

theres a player in there and his set pièces and shooting from midfield are brilliant. just think a period coming off the bench might benefit him.

Hannah_hfc
25-08-2018, 05:08 PM
Horgan was really impressive first half, quietened a bit the second half but overall I felt he was our most threatening player along with Boyle. Very promising signing [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25-08-2018, 05:09 PM
Hulk Horgan

Chic Murray
25-08-2018, 05:09 PM
One thing's for sure, Mallan doesn't like tackling. He doesn't even pretend to tackle. The team will have to find a way round that.

Scouse Hibee
25-08-2018, 05:12 PM
Porteous was my MOM

judas
25-08-2018, 05:14 PM
Horgan is a quality signing.

I actually think Mallan is a lovely player to watch. His long range passes are inch perfect and he is a genuine goal scoring threat.

Very encouraged by our performance today.

Ozyhibby
25-08-2018, 05:15 PM
Mallan and Horgan are both quality. It’s a strong defensive mid we need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nellio
25-08-2018, 05:16 PM
Horgan was great but felt he faded a bit towards the end.

Porteous is a huge talent. Real quality for his age.

overdrive
25-08-2018, 05:17 PM
Thought he was unplayable in the first 20 mins, covered every inch and ran Aberdeen midfield ragged. Disappeared for a while but came back strong in the final 20 mins. Going to be a shoe in for first 11 once he's fully up to speed and we get our best players back.

Yeah, I thought he was quiet for much of the game, except the start and end where he was excellent.

Hi Heid Yin
25-08-2018, 05:20 PM
Horgan is class..an all-action dynamo and already a favourite of mine.

Danderhall Hibs
25-08-2018, 05:28 PM
Looked very good in the 30-40 minutes he was active. He took the middle of the match off though.

SquashedFrogg
25-08-2018, 05:51 PM
Looked very good in the 30-40 minutes he was active. He took the middle of the match off though.

Took the middle of the match off? Heard it all now 😂

dmc1875
25-08-2018, 05:57 PM
His determination got us our goal, I thought he was streets ahead today of the rest

gazzag70
25-08-2018, 05:58 PM
Horgan is the real deal. If we can strengthen our midfield he will be a major asset.

Danderhall Hibs
25-08-2018, 05:59 PM
Took the middle of the match off? Heard it all now 😂

I’ve spoken to a few folk and they’ve all said the same.

Allant1981
25-08-2018, 06:00 PM

yip he had a 15 minute break the same as everyone else

FranckSuzy
25-08-2018, 06:11 PM
Porteous was my MOM

:agree:

Jones28
25-08-2018, 06:34 PM
Porteous was my MOM

Me too, imperious

cleanyman
25-08-2018, 06:39 PM
Was in and out the game.

A very impressive opening 20 before returning with 20 to go.

Danderhall Hibs
25-08-2018, 06:39 PM
Was in and out the game.

SquashedFrogg
25-08-2018, 06:50 PM

Well it must be true then? You could really say the same for every player in every match. Game ebs and flows, tactics change. Even Messi dips in and out of matches.

Just seemed a very negative description. The guy worked his knackers off.

Great wee player though

hibee_girl
25-08-2018, 06:51 PM
Porteous was my MOM

Mine too

JohnM1875
25-08-2018, 06:54 PM
Thought Horgan was well deserved man of the match today. Was class. Porteous had a good match but we were far too much in control of the game for me to give a MOTM award to one of our defenders. Aberdeen barely threatened.

Diclonius
25-08-2018, 06:54 PM
Horgan's a great player to have, not just because of his overall ability but also because it appears he plays well both on the wing and centrally. He'll fit whatever system Lennon decides to play.

Scooter
25-08-2018, 07:08 PM
Can't believe Preston let him go.

Also Mallan is a cracking player

Danderhall Hibs
25-08-2018, 07:10 PM
Well it must be true then? You could really say the same for every player in every match. Game ebs and flows, tactics change. Even Messi dips in and out of matches.

Just seemed a very negative description. The guy worked his knackers off.

Great wee player though

It’s not difficult. No it doesn’t mean it’s true - it means it’s a few folks opinions. Just like those on here that rubbished those opinions thought he was superb for the full game.

bawheid
25-08-2018, 07:20 PM
He did fall out the game for a bit. Played well though and did well at the equaliser. Boyler was my man of the match.

Stuart93
25-08-2018, 07:22 PM
Thought he was brilliant today. He's a winger though, hope we see him playing on the wing

CMac1988
25-08-2018, 07:25 PM
Porteus Man of the Match for me. Sure he's been my Man of the Match the last couple of games though so maybe it'd be more fair to give it to someone else...

Horgan had another good game though. Great save from his shot which was destined for the goal. Drifted out the game for a short spell but more to do with the ball bypassing his for a spell. Can't mind the last time we had a player who looked so comfortable with the ball at both feet.

Eyrie
25-08-2018, 07:44 PM
I'd prefer Horgan to be played wide because he's a bigger threat when he has space as opposed to in the middle where he gets crowded out. Would mean that we can use his excellent crossing ability as well.

SquashedFrogg
25-08-2018, 08:49 PM
It’s not difficult. No it doesn’t mean it’s true - it means it’s a few folks opinions. Just like those on here that rubbished those opinions thought he was superb for the full game.

Fair enough. Sometimes I read too much into language used.

SirDavidsNapper
25-08-2018, 08:53 PM
I think we've got a real player on our hands with Horgan. Definitely softening the SJM blow.

IberianHibernian
25-08-2018, 08:59 PM
Been very impressed by Horgan in first two games but his play depends on speed and high energy and may be asking too much for him to perform well for 90 minutes . Great crosser with both feet and has energy and positional sense and confidence to get into scoring positions ( something lacking with our midfielders in recent years ) like when he forced good save today and then when Boyle shot with left instead of passing to him ( not a criticism of Boyle - in recent years he hasn`t had midfielders rushing into the box with him ) .

SquashedFrogg
25-08-2018, 09:23 PM
I think we've got a real player on our hands with Horgan. Definitely softening the SJM blow.

My view 100%

Future17
26-08-2018, 07:43 AM
Porteous was my MOM

Agreed.

eastcoasthibby
26-08-2018, 07:55 AM
I thought Boyle was man of the match by a long long way.

Really .??? ...wasnt n the game for periods as usual, thats not.detracting from the influence he can have when he is in it, but his decision making and composure needs worked on, ...but Horgan was a constant threat a very tidy with theball tracked a couple of runs and won the ball back as well ....and it was his sharpness and quick feet that played Hanlon in to cross for the goal ...he has a desire desire and hunger about him to be involved all the time ...cracking.performance.
Have to say its all about opinions but having these two in the team are great attacking threats and will punish a lot teams this season.

allezsauzee
26-08-2018, 07:55 AM
I would agree with Horgan getting the MOTM award. However I think the platform for his performance and our ability to control large parts of today's game was an excellent performance from Whittaker. He broke up play, kept possession and was a real physical presence in the middle of the park. This will be conveniently overlooked by the minority in the support that seem determined to make him a scapegoat for anything that goes wrong.

Baw187
26-08-2018, 07:57 AM

He went quiet when Logan came on to man mark him! He never left his side and that nullified him a bit until the end when he changes position due to subs.

Dancehibs
26-08-2018, 08:01 AM
Was in and out the game.

That’s how I saw it. Dropped it due to lack of match fitness. That will come. So far looks a good signing who will continue to improve.

MurrayfieldHibs
26-08-2018, 08:10 AM
One thing's for sure, Mallan doesn't like tackling. He doesn't even pretend to tackle. The team will have to find a way round that.

I don’t recall Russell Latapy putting many bone crunching tackles in :thumbsup:

Onion
26-08-2018, 08:15 AM
Very tidy player. His run and through ball to Hanlon at the end was just the kind of creative play we needed to unlock Aberdeen. Great signing.

Coco Bryce
26-08-2018, 08:28 AM
I like Horgan a lot. Thought he was excellent yesterday great pace and control and ran the Dons defence ragged on a few occasions.

Looks unfit though, so I would imagine he is only going to get better in time.

Coco Bryce
26-08-2018, 08:35 AM
I like Horgan a lot. Thought he was excellent yesterday great pace and control and ran the Dons defence ragged on a few occasions.

Looks unfit though, so I would imagine he is only going to get better in time.

Danderhall Hibs
26-08-2018, 09:30 AM
He went quiet when Logan came on to man mark him! He never left his side and that nullified him a bit until the end when he changes position due to subs.

I think he was quiet at the end of the first half and start of second half.

Very impressive at the other times though - I’m not criticising the guy just pointing out my observation.

KNBE
26-08-2018, 12:38 PM
Described in the match report in today's Sunday Herald as "on-loan Manchester City forward Daryl Horgan".

At least they got the final scoreline right so I shouldn't really be too critical.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk