PDA

View Full Version : (NHC) Hugo Lloris: Glug-Glug! Vroom-Vroom!

EricStoner
24-08-2018, 05:08 PM
See the thread on players with gambling problems. I suppose it's hard to impress "da ho's" in the back of an Uber Prius or a Black Taxi, but the **** could easily hire a limo with a chauffeur.
I'm sure the young Hungarian keeper who played one League Cup game for us, David Grof, got done for drink driving on the same day English goalie Luke McCormick went down for 5 years or so for ploughing into a car while he was pished.
As in the gambling thread, clubs seem to make no effort, much less take responsibility, when it comes to getting rich, arrogant, priapic (& largely stupid) young men to behave in a socially acceptable manner and act with some sort of civility.
Where's Jim McLean when you need him?

The Modfather
24-08-2018, 05:19 PM
See the thread on players with gambling problems. I suppose it's hard to impress "da ho's" in the back of an Uber Prius or a Black Taxi, but the **** could easily hire a limo with a chauffeur.
I'm sure the young Hungarian keeper who played one League Cup game for us, David Grof, got done for drink driving on the same day English goalie Luke McCormick went down for 5 years or so for ploughing into a car while he was pished.
As in the gambling thread, clubs seem to make no effort, much less take responsibility, when it comes to getting rich, arrogant, priapic (& largely stupid) young men to behave in a socially acceptable manner and act with some sort of civility.
Where's Jim McLean when you need him?

We have someone in our current first team who was also caught drink driving. Did we also make no effort or take any responsibility?

Onceinawhile
24-08-2018, 05:35 PM
Hugo loris is a 31 year old world cup winning captain. The idea that he's a stupid young man is ridiculous.

He's made an arse of himself and thank goodness no one was hurt.

Diclonius
24-08-2018, 05:44 PM
I forgot all about David Grof. More famous in his Hibs career for what he did off the pitch rather than on it. Spent his few years with us updating his personal message on MSN complaining about not being given a chance, then assuming for whatever reason he was going to sign to Celtic for a wee while (and changing his MSN name to "Grofy Bhoy" while he was at it), finally getting a game in the League Cup v Morton, ****ing it up after about 5 minutes, and was never heard from again.

Pretty Boy
24-08-2018, 05:52 PM
I forgot all about David Grof. More famous in his Hibs career for what he did off the pitch rather than on it. Spent his few years with us updating his personal message on MSN complaining about not being given a chance, then assuming for whatever reason he was going to sign to Celtic for a wee while (and changing his MSN name to "Grofy Bhoy" while he was at it), finally getting a game in the League Cup v Morton, ****ing it up after about 5 minutes, and was never heard from again.

Grof acted like a bit of a muppet when he was at Hibs but he stuck at it when a lot of others might have walked away from the game and he played his part in his team winning the Hungariam league last season and earned an international call up.

He was 17 when he pitched up here and was seen as a bit of a coup. His head was undoubtedly turned but I can't bear him too much ill will. I wouldn't have been brave enough to go to a foreign country where I didn't speak the language at 17.

Peevemor
24-08-2018, 05:55 PM
Where's Jim McLean when you need him?On the contrary, I think clubs probably do quite a lot to educate players how to behave in their free time. The percentage of players who get into trouble is probably lower than the average for guys of their age, especially when you consider that anything even slightly iffy that they do appears on social media within minutes.

IGRIGI
24-08-2018, 05:59 PM
Mental that they do this when they could easily afford a taxi from John O Groats to Lands End

EricStoner
24-08-2018, 08:36 PM
On the contrary, I think clubs probably do quite a lot to educate players how to behave in their free time. The percentage of players who get into trouble is probably lower than the average for guys of their age, especially when you consider that anything even slightly iffy that they do appears on social media within minutes.
Really? I can't say I'm well up on this and I'll concede that my info, such as it is, says clubs are improving in education generally. It was certainly the case until recently that clubs had an appalling attitude to education. I know a couple of cousins. One was on the books of an English Premier League club in his early teens; the other, slightly older, one was in the colts set-up at a County Championship cricket club. The cricketer was pushed hard to achieve academic results; the footballer was encouraged to do something "equivalent" to the standard English leaving certificate exams (GCSE?) but which is seemingly easier and less well regarded. The purpose of this advice being to allow him to concentrate on his football. I haven't known anyone else who's been in a modern cricket academy set-up, but I've known a couple of rugby players in underage Premiership set-ups and they were encouraged academically as well. Any other kids I've known at football clubs report a similarly slapdash attitude to education to the one experienced by the younger cousin. I suppose cricketers and rugby players are mainly middle class, so parents will expect some academic activity and clubs would be unlikely to get away with shoddy practice. Football parents are going to be working class - or welfare class these days😞 - and likely less fussed with education, so clubs can get away with shortcuts. Neither cousin made the grade, but they both attended "proper" universities in Scotland and got genuine professional degrees. (Not tourism studies or sports science.) They are very middle class though. Under pressure, football clubs are now reportedly changing for the better.
However, even with the huge numbers of non-playing staff at English Premier League clubs these days, I doubt if any motivation or sports psychology gurus lecture players on behaviour. Football dressing rooms being what they are, the pish-taking at even making a suggestion that players might attend "social responsibility" classes would likely be savage. They do have these types of lectures in Australian sports though.

As for Squirrel, well, if reports are to be believed, that was a case in which he was a mite unlucky. Must've been some session the night before for him to score that highly on an a.m. test😂 but he gets the benefit of the doubt.
Maybe initial reports are incorrect, but if he's driving past Baker Street station at that time of an evening, Lloris appears to have chosen to take his car to the West End for a night on the town. Irresponsible and stupid.

My pet bug-bear with this is that he'll get off with a finger-wagging from Spurs, the FFF and the FA. That's the correct course of action in my view. Same as if he was found guilty of fiddling his taxes slightly or was cautioned or "bound over" having got involved in a brawl. Courts of law exist to deal with (relatively) minor stuff like that. It's not an employer's business unless it impacts on the felon's ability to do his job. I doubt many on here would even be required to inform their employer in such situations, especially in a manual job - which is what Lloris does. Skilled manual admittedly.
Had Lloris been asked to pee in a bottle, whilst unwinding after the World Cup on a Spanish island, and had his sample tested positive for E's, speed, coke or weed, he'd likely be banned and the "role model" pish would be spouted. After he'd committed what almost every jurisdiction would view as a far less serious offence.
The man's clearly a tool though.

My_Wife_Camille
24-08-2018, 08:51 PM
I approve of The Simpson’s reference

jacomo
24-08-2018, 08:51 PM
Grof acted like a bit of a muppet when he was at Hibs but he stuck at it when a lot of others might have walked away from the game and he played his part in his team winning the Hungariam league last season and earned an international call up.

He was 17 when he pitched up here and was seen as a bit of a coup. His head was undoubtedly turned but I can't bear him too much ill will. I wouldn't have been brave enough to go to a foreign country where I didn't speak the language at 17.

Good luck to him. Sounds like his career is going the right way.

Also as we know Hibs was a shambles back then so probably not the right environment for him.

Ryan69
24-08-2018, 09:29 PM
Hugo loris is a 31 year old world cup winning captain. The idea that he's a stupid young man is ridiculous.

He's made an arse of himself and thank goodness no one was hurt.

Just cause he is good at stopping a football.....doesn't give any kind of judgement about his intelligence

SquashedFrogg
24-08-2018, 09:32 PM
Really? I can't say I'm well up on this and I'll concede that my info, such as it is, says clubs are improving in education generally. It was certainly the case until recently that clubs had an appalling attitude to education. I know a couple of cousins. One was on the books of an English Premier League club in his early teens; the other, slightly older, one was in the colts set-up at a County Championship cricket club. The cricketer was pushed hard to achieve academic results; the footballer was encouraged to do something "equivalent" to the standard English leaving certificate exams (GCSE?) but which is seemingly easier and less well regarded. The purpose of this advice being to allow him to concentrate on his football. I haven't known anyone else who's been in a modern cricket academy set-up, but I've known a couple of rugby players in underage Premiership set-ups and they were encouraged academically as well. Any other kids I've known at football clubs report a similarly slapdash attitude to education to the one experienced by the younger cousin. I suppose cricketers and rugby players are mainly middle class, so parents will expect some academic activity and clubs would be unlikely to get away with shoddy practice. Football parents are going to be working class - or welfare class these days😞 - and likely less fussed with education, so clubs can get away with shortcuts. Neither cousin made the grade, but they both attended "proper" universities in Scotland and got genuine professional degrees. (Not tourism studies or sports science.) They are very middle class though. Under pressure, football clubs are now reportedly changing for the better.
However, even with the huge numbers of non-playing staff at English Premier League clubs these days, I doubt if any motivation or sports psychology gurus lecture players on behaviour. Football dressing rooms being what they are, the pish-taking at even making a suggestion that players might attend "social responsibility" classes would likely be savage. They do have these types of lectures in Australian sports though.

As for Squirrel, well, if reports are to be believed, that was a case in which he was a mite unlucky. Must've been some session the night before for him to score that highly on an a.m. test😂 but he gets the benefit of the doubt.
Maybe initial reports are incorrect, but if he's driving past Baker Street station at that time of an evening, Lloris appears to have chosen to take his car to the West End for a night on the town. Irresponsible and stupid.

My pet bug-bear with this is that he'll get off with a finger-wagging from Spurs, the FFF and the FA. That's the correct course of action in my view. Same as if he was found guilty of fiddling his taxes slightly or was cautioned or "bound over" having got involved in a brawl. Courts of law exist to deal with (relatively) minor stuff like that. It's not an employer's business unless it impacts on the felon's ability to do his job. I doubt many on here would even be required to inform their employer in such situations, especially in a manual job - which is what Lloris does. Skilled manual admittedly.
Had Lloris been asked to pee in a bottle, whilst unwinding after the World Cup on a Spanish island, and had his sample tested positive for E's, speed, coke or weed, he'd likely be banned and the "role model" pish would be spouted. After he'd committed what almost every jurisdiction would view as a far less serious offence.

Blimey. Quiet night mate?

Peevemor
24-08-2018, 10:23 PM
For what it's worth, I've seen Lloris interviewed (in French) a good few times and I find him to be very level headed and intelligent.

He continued his education after he turned pro and sat and passed his baccalaureate (probably equivalent of A levels) when he was in training for the U19 world cup.

And for info, he's anything but working class. His dad was a banker in Monte Carlo and his mum was a lawyer.

So I think we can forget the football stereotypes and maybe accept that he's made a mistake.

I'm in no way condoning drunk driving, but it's not specifically a football problem and to blame Spurs in any way is ridiculous.

kaimendhibs
24-08-2018, 10:34 PM
I wonder how many on here have driven over the limit the day after a night out. Loads I'm guessing.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
24-08-2018, 10:48 PM
For what it's worth, I've seen Lloris interviewed (in French) a good few times and I find him to be very level headed and intelligent.

He continued his education after he turned pro and sat and passed his baccalaureate (probably equivalent of A levels) when he was in training for the U19 world cup.

And for info, he's anything but working class. His dad was a banker in Monte Carlo and his mum was a lawyer.

So I think we can forget the football stereotypes and maybe accept that he's made a mistake.

I'm in no way condoning drunk driving, but it's not specifically a football problem and to blame Spurs in any way is ridiculous.

Not quite sure why stating anything but working class, his level of intelligence or the fact that he might just have made a mistake is relevant He was caught over the limit and has to accept the stigma that goes with that. Like everyone else working class or not it’s his responsibility to ensure he is safe to drive after drinking.

Diclonius
24-08-2018, 10:58 PM

Fair enough.

Onceinawhile
24-08-2018, 11:00 PM
Just cause he is good at stopping a football.....doesn't give any kind of judgement about his intelligence

So you class 31 as young?

Don't get me wrong, I'm 31 as well so delighted if you do.

Centre Hawf
24-08-2018, 11:39 PM
I wonder how many on here have driven over the limit the day after a night out. Loads I'm guessing.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Agreed. Wee really should be hammering it home to young drivers especially when they're learning. In my younger days I could probably lose count the amount of times I went out the night before, had work the next morning and drove in thinking I was fine but I'm sure a breath test would say otherwise. Especially now with the even lower limits.

Peevemor
25-08-2018, 12:54 AM
Not quite sure why stating anything but working class, his level of intelligence or the fact that he might just have made a mistake is relevant He was caught over the limit and has to accept the stigma that goes with that. Like everyone else working class or not it’s his responsibility to ensure he is safe to drive after drinking.I agree. I was responding to some of the points raised in Ericstoner's posts.

Allant1981
25-08-2018, 06:40 AM

you do like a long winded story

EricStoner
25-08-2018, 07:23 AM

Football stereotypes are a British thing though. I'd guess a fair few players from a Lloris background play professionally in France. Did someone not work out that Vialli would've been 110th in line to the Italian throne if they'd restored the monarchy. Can't see a Scot of that background playing football, never mind an Englishman.
Last public schoolboy from these islands to play in the top flight was... Ehhhh... Well.... Ummmm.... Stokesy😂.
But aye - anyone can be an erse. There should be less peer pressure on Lloris to be an erse than on Sparky, Deeks or GOC though.