PDA

View Full Version : Colin calderwood

vuefrom1875
22-08-2018, 08:11 PM
Amazed how these guys get the jobs....gobsmacked to see he's No2 at villa.....there again suppose it's his level.

Smartie
22-08-2018, 08:14 PM
Amazed how these guys get the jobs....gobsmacked to see he's No2 at villa.....there again suppose it's his level.

I was really enjoying sitting watching this game until the camera cut to him and Steve Bruce.......

bingo70
22-08-2018, 08:14 PM

I think some people are good managers and some people are good coaches. It’s two very different roles and it sounds like Calderwood is a very good coach.

I don’t think he ever really wanted to be at Hibs and that was his biggest problem here.

Fuzzywuzzy
22-08-2018, 08:17 PM
Did he not just get the gig because of the **** up with Steve Clarke and wages?

Thecat23
22-08-2018, 08:27 PM
Did he not just get the gig because of the **** up with Steve Clarke and wages?

Yep.

Bostonhibby
22-08-2018, 08:52 PM
Amazed how these guys get the jobs....gobsmacked to see he's No2 at villa.....there again suppose it's his level.We know from his time at Hibs that he's a proper number 2[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Captain Trips
22-08-2018, 08:55 PM
Dick. Hope SJM boots the ball off his face during training.

JimboHibs
22-08-2018, 09:34 PM

What level ?

You suggesting being no2 at Villa isn't a good gig ?

Nevi_SOL
22-08-2018, 09:39 PM
What level ?

You suggesting being no2 at Villa isn't a good gig ?

I’m pretty sure he was meaning someone’s assistant rather than the club

Dashing Bob S
23-08-2018, 05:15 AM

Number Zero is his level.

GreenArmyyy!
23-08-2018, 09:27 AM
Hate him more than Butcher. Butcher was just an utterly terrible manager whereas Calderwood couldn’t wait to get away from Hibs. Complete clown.

Keyser Sauzee
23-08-2018, 09:43 AM
What were the comments he made about a bag of sweets or something? Seen it referenced on here a few times but missed what he said.

Hermit Crab
23-08-2018, 09:47 AM
Calderwood's first win as manager for us was a famous 0-3 victory and there was barely 300 Hibs fans there that night to witness it. :greengrin

GreenArmyyy!
23-08-2018, 10:18 AM
Calderwood's first win as manager for us was a famous 0-3 victory and there was barely 300 Hibs fans there that night to witness it. :greengrin

Proud to say I was one, probably the most surprising victory in our history. 😂

Hermit Crab
23-08-2018, 10:24 AM
Proud to say I was one, probably the most surprising victory in our history. 😂

Yep I was there too with the rest of the regulars on the Carlton bus. :agree:

vuefrom1875
23-08-2018, 10:32 AM
I’m pretty sure he was meaning someone’s assistant rather than the club

Correct, thank you.

Centre Hawf
23-08-2018, 12:05 PM
What were the comments he made about a bag of sweets or something? Seen it referenced on here a few times but missed what he said.

I think it was in reference to wanting to speak to other clubs about being a manager there. Something like "If you had a bag of sweeties and someone else had a bag of sweeties it would be stupid not to have a look in their bag" I might have gotten it wrong.

Iggy Pope
23-08-2018, 12:18 PM
Yep I was there too with the rest of the regulars on the Carlton bus. :agree:

I was there too and the Dnipro Kids were £100 better off for it after my fully signed Teamsheet was auctioned in these very pages.

Calderwood remains a prick though.

Speedway
23-08-2018, 12:26 PM
I think it was in reference to wanting to speak to other clubs about being a manager there. Something like "If you had a bag of sweeties and someone else had a bag of sweeties it would be stupid not to have a look in their bag" I might have gotten it wrong.

‘If someone offers you two bags of sweets, you look in both before you choose’

Hermit Crab
23-08-2018, 01:02 PM
I was there too and the Dnipro Kids were £100 better off for it after my fully signed Teamsheet was auctioned in these very pages.

Calderwood remains a prick though.

:tee hee:

we are hibs
23-08-2018, 01:23 PM
Don't know why but everytime I think of calderwood I remember his hibs tv interview after his last game against Dunfermline at Easter Road which we lost 1-0 and all you could hear in the background was hibs fans singing sack the board

Centre Hawf
23-08-2018, 04:15 PM
Don't know why but everytime I think of calderwood I remember his hibs tv interview after his last game against Dunfermline at Easter Road which we lost 1-0 and all you could hear in the background was hibs fans singing sack the board

I think my favourite was the interview with him when we signed Phil Airey. And the interviewer asks him what type of player he is and Colin Calderwood genuinely had no idea. Clearly had never seen him play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJcA02f3xIU

Captain Trips
24-08-2018, 12:41 AM
I think my favourite was the interview with him when we signed Phil Airey. And the interviewer asks him what type of player he is and Colin Calderwood genuinely had no idea. Clearly had never seen him play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJcA02f3xIU

Had never seen that before "I don't really want to tell you what his attributes are" that's because you have no idea ya dick who ye were even bringing in.

Billychaotic182
24-08-2018, 01:10 AM
I don’t get the hate for Calderwood, he was a poor manager but I don’t think he ever came across as disrespectful or dissed the club. As many have said he was and is highly regarded as a coach. Perhaps if the rolls were reversed with Derek Adams as number one and Calderwood as number two things may have been different. But I really don’t get why some on here love to slag the man.

allezsauzee
24-08-2018, 07:35 AM
I don’t get the hate for Calderwood, he was a poor manager but I don’t think he ever came across as disrespectful or dissed the club. As many have said he was and is highly regarded as a coach. Perhaps if the rolls were reversed with Derek Adams as number one and Calderwood as number two things may have been different. But I really don’t get why some on here love to slag the man.

:top marksIn complete agreement with you there.

calumhibee1
24-08-2018, 07:37 AM

Who was it that wanted to take him off our hands?

CRAZYHIBBY
24-08-2018, 08:02 AM

I think its because he was a **** manager that brought in **** players during a time when hibs as a whole was a totally **** club to support but he wasnt any worse than fenlon or butcher..........i do agree with what you said regarding derek adams though

Dancehibs
24-08-2018, 08:06 AM
Was it that talked about sweeties or sweetie shop and having a look. Just after We beat ICT ?

hibbysam
24-08-2018, 08:39 AM

One of those games that gain more fans every time it gets brought up lol, everyone seems to have been there that night. A certain Liam Miller making McGregor look like a dick in goals and the third scored by none other than Franny Dickoh. Great night.

we are hibs
24-08-2018, 08:53 AM
Who was it that wanted to take him off our hands?

Steve maclaren and Nottingham forest I'm sure

He is hated because he clearly didn't want to be here. As soon as forest came sniffing he made it pretty obvious he wanted to go

Dalianwanda
24-08-2018, 09:23 AM

Wow...Didn’t realise I had such an emotional anchor to the guy. Just reading his name made my chest tighten and a feeling of disgust come over me.

WeeRussell
24-08-2018, 11:33 AM
Not that surprising he's got this job. People aren't appointed based solely on poor times they had with Hibs or indeed overly-critical opinions from Hibs fans.

silverhibee
24-08-2018, 12:19 PM

It was only the fans who disliked him, the players thought he was a very good coach, regards Derek Adams, seemingly Calderwood didn't know who he was when the club brought him in ( Adams ) and CC had to ask a few players who he was and what he was like.

Centre Hawf
24-08-2018, 12:33 PM
It was only the fans who disliked him, the players thought he was a very good coach, regards Derek Adams, seemingly Calderwood didn't know who he was when the club brought him in ( Adams ) and CC had to ask a few players who he was and what he was like.

Rumour I had heard was both were interviewed for the Managerial role. Which for me was not a good situation for a manager coming in knowing the guy tasked to help you out with decisions/tactics wanted your job, probably still does, and will probably get it if you get the chop or walk.

Agree what some folk say though that if we swapped it round it just might have been a better fit.

NAE NOOKIE
25-08-2018, 12:31 AM
I think some people are good managers and some people are good coaches. It’s two very different roles and it sounds like Calderwood is a very good coach.

I don’t think he ever really wanted to be at Hibs and that was his biggest problem here.

Then why apply for the job in the first place?. IMO he disrespected Hibs and he disrespected the clubs supporters, not by leaving that happens all the time in football, but by making it pretty clear he was looking elsewhere long before he did leave … Hibs aren't blameless because they should have sacked him on the spot the second it became evident he wasn't committed to the club. How the hell could a man who made it clear he didn't want to be at Easter Road possibly motivate the players?

Its a pain in the arse that he's Villa's assistant manager because with SJM being there I cant want them to lose … otherwise I would want them pumped in every game.

Zazu62
25-08-2018, 09:05 AM

Nah not buying that. He did diss the club with his secret meetings with Steve Mclaren if I remember rightly

Tomsk
25-08-2018, 09:39 AM
The man who's holding the smoking gun is still at Hibs.

Calderwood was a terrible appointment -- one of several during that era. Who made the appointment?

Hermit Crab
25-08-2018, 09:40 AM
One of those games that gain more fans every time it gets brought up lol, everyone seems to have been there that night. A certain Liam Miller making McGregor look like a dick in goals and the third scored by none other than Franny Dickoh. Great night.

:agree:.

Just like Sproule hatrick match, there must have been 20'000 Hibs fans at that game, in reality there was only 900 of us...

Pretty Boy
25-08-2018, 09:54 AM
I think the idea that Calderwood didn't have a clue about Phil Airey is a myth. They were at Newcastle at the same time and I'm pretty sure he was a signing of Calderwoods choosing.

I find myself becoming less vitriolic about former managers as time goes on. It's become increasingly clear that the whole club was set up to fail and required a root and branch overhaul, that has now happened. Calderwood is probably the one I maintain the most distate for. I remember in an interview after a derby defeat at Tynecastle he described his shambles of a sqaud as 'perfect'. The whole sweeties saga was just ridiculous.

Oh and I wasn't at his 0-3 game. I had a ticket but after our derby performance the Saturday before I chose to take a girl out instead. That was moderately more disastrous than Calderwoods reign.

Tomsk
25-08-2018, 09:59 AM
I think the idea that Calderwood didn't have a clue about Phil Airey is a myth. They were at Newcastle at the same time and I'm pretty sure he was a signing of Calderwoods choosing.

I find myself becoming less vitriolic about former managers as time goes on. It's become increasingly clear that the whole club was set up to fail and required a root and branch overhaul, that has now happened. Calderwood is probably the one I maintain the most distate for. I remember in an interview after a derby defeat at Tynecastle he described his shambles of a sqaud as 'perfect'. The whole sweeties saga was just ridiculous.

Oh and I wasn't at his 0-3 game. I had a ticket but after our derby performance the Saturday before I chose to take a girl out instead. That was moderately more disastrous than Calderwoods reign.

No sweeties for you, PB? :greengrin

Centre Hawf
25-08-2018, 11:38 AM

You might be right about him knowing of Phil Airey because he mentioned trying to get him previously but was unable to. But that whole signing is just bonkers. He played about 10 minutes as a sub when Killie pumped us away from home a few days after signing and then was never seen again. In fact he was such a no mark signing that when I bring him up a lot of my mates have absolutely no clue about him or who he is.

I find that interview paired up with the weird disappearing act as a sign we didn't actually do enough to check if he was ready for our level of football or if he was actually any good to begin with. Summed up his reign, no homework, no thought, not a care.