PDA

View Full Version : East of Scotland Shield

Pretty Boy
22-08-2018, 07:20 PM
Whatever happened to this trophy? It was always a decent midweek game amongst the youngsters but after the game a couple of years back it just seems to have stopped.

Is there any plans to bring it back? I assume it's a scheduling issue these days?

O'Rourke3
22-08-2018, 07:24 PM
Some of us are old enough to remember the Final getting played on a Saturday at 3:00 with both top teams playing. Seen Hibs winning it a few times. Also the only place you'd see Hibs v Berwick Rangers back then.

Sas_The_Hibby
22-08-2018, 07:32 PM
Some of us are old enough to remember the Final getting played on a Saturday at 3:00 with both top teams playing. Seen Hibs winning it a few times. Also the only place you'd see Hibs v Berwick Rangers back then.

And Hibs v Meadowbank Thistle!

O'Rourke3
22-08-2018, 07:35 PM
And Hibs v Meadowbank Thistle!

I don't think I was ever present at one of those games strangely. Now not sure why. :confused:

Carheenlea
22-08-2018, 07:36 PM
Is it not one of the oldest trophy’s/competitions in football? Think it’s more a youth tournament now, but can’t recall much mention of it in recent years which is a shame.

Kato
22-08-2018, 07:41 PM
Is it not one of the oldest trophy’s/competitions in football? Think it’s more a youth tournament now, but can’t recall much mention of it in recent years which is a shame.

The third oldest trophy still being competed for in the world. FA Cup and Scottish Cup being older.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_of_Scotland_Shield

Bostonhibby
22-08-2018, 07:44 PM
Loved it, having been born on 18th April 1960 it's engrained in my DNA, whatever that is ☺https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180822/a3abbf567399cfbe601cf1f75d5f7151.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
22-08-2018, 07:49 PM
Loved it, having been born on 18th April 1960 it's engrained in my DNA, whatever that is ☺https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180822/a3abbf567399cfbe601cf1f75d5f7151.jpg

Glad to see the natural order was thriving even then! 😀

Bostonhibby
22-08-2018, 08:26 PM
Glad to see the natural order was thriving even then! [emoji3]Listen Billy, in my family they were probably hanging on for the result before I was allowed out!

weecounty hibby
22-08-2018, 09:23 PM
I vaguely remember a EOS final v them at ER early 80s, 20000+ crowd and loads of bother after the game. Anyone fill in the gaps for me?

SideBurns
22-08-2018, 09:46 PM
I vaguely remember a EOS final v them at ER early 80s, 20000+ crowd and loads of bother after the game. Anyone fill in the gaps for me?

There was first ever Tom Hart Memorial Trophy game, Hibs won 1-0 and Bobby Thomson scored (I think); maybe 1982? Recall the Jambos ran riot along Princes St after, smashing all the windaes.

The Harp Awakes
22-08-2018, 11:17 PM

Might have been the game Gerry O'Brien scored for Hibs and we won 1-0? Hearts fans entered the old seated enclsure near the end of the game and there was loads of trouble. That could have been another game though around the same time.

Iggy Pope
23-08-2018, 07:05 AM
Might have been the game Gerry O'Brien scored for Hibs and we won 1-0? Hearts fans entered the old seated enclsure near the end of the game and there was loads of trouble. That could have been another game though around the same time.

Drew Busby sent off for an assault on Arthur Duncan that resulted in a snapped shin pad....

BILLYHIBS
23-08-2018, 09:09 AM
There was first ever Tom Hart Memorial Trophy game, Hibs won 1-0 and Bobby Thomson scored (I think); maybe 1982? Recall the Jambos ran riot along Princes St after, smashing all the windaes.
Loved Bobby Thomson always gave 100% I remember the time he stuck the heid on a linesman against St Johnstone at ER. Sounds the wrong thing to say but quality at the time! :greengrin

Kato
23-08-2018, 09:33 AM
Drew Busby sent off for an assault on Arthur Duncan that resulted in a snapped shin pad....

Didn't he break his leg?

HIBERNIAN-0762
23-08-2018, 09:36 AM

Still got the programme for that.

monarch
23-08-2018, 09:56 AM
Didn't he break his leg?
His leg wasn’t broken but at the time the sound of his shinpad snapping and the ferocity of Busby’s assault led most of us to believe that it was a serious injury. Good to know that the culture of Jambo strikers hasn’t changed in the intervening years. :agree:

Incidentally that Shield match was played during a 5 year period in which there was no league meetings played between the 2 teams due to them being in different leagues (them 4 seasons in the Lower league First Division) and us (one season). This probably led to the big attendance and the intensity of the occasion.

malcolm
23-08-2018, 11:26 AM
I always understood that playing in a competition run by the east of scotland association was a condition of membership of the FCA.. or something similar with all clubs having to be members of a local or home association. It was relegated to being between youth teams in more recent times. That necessity may have been lost in some modernisation of the rules .. though the concept of modernisation and the SFA, SPLF etc sounds a bit far fetched :wink:

pollution
23-08-2018, 11:28 AM
Those games always felt second rate and a bit of a cop out of the real meetings.

The run of Hibs Hearts games was a brief time of interest as they were in different leagues as a previous thread said.

Hibs chairman Tom Hart had died at Pittodrie and the next game was dedicated to him but the interest had mostly gone thereafter.

I do remember a flare exploding at ER though!

Iggy Pope
23-08-2018, 12:12 PM
Didn't he break his leg?

Stretchered off and a lot thought it was the end of him, but happily he had a good few years left flying for us. Loved the man.
Busby wasn't any sort of footballer at all was he? So much so, he'd still get a game for them now.

Those games always felt second rate and a bit of a cop out of the real meetings.

The run of Hibs Hearts games was a brief time of interest as they were in different leagues as a previous thread said.

Hibs chairman Tom Hart had died at Pittodrie and the next game was dedicated to him but the interest had mostly gone thereafter.

I do remember a flare exploding at ER though!

The EOSS games were well competed for decades by the first teams, not only because relegations made them handy for gate money in the late 70s / 1980.
The Tom Hart Memorial cup wasn't related to the Shield. It came a couple of seasons after the game being discussed and the cup was played for twice if I'm right. Think we played Dunfermline second time but I could be wrong.

MartinfaePorty
23-08-2018, 12:21 PM
Think you're right re Pars game. Possibly 5-3 Hibs? Round about 1984-85

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Kato
23-08-2018, 12:47 PM
Busby wasn't any sort of footballer at all was he? So much so, he'd still get a game for them now.

Story goes a mix of Hibs and Hearts players took him around the back of a boozer for a pasting after that tackle.

Busby was a thug and a woeful footballer.

Hearts fans of a certain generation treat him as a "legend".

Those last two sentences aren't necessarily related but probably are.

Scorrie
23-08-2018, 12:51 PM

I seem to recall it was a first Derby for a while as we were in two different divisions?. I remember there was mayhem on the bridge on Albion Terrace - Bothwell Street after the game

G B Young
23-08-2018, 12:52 PM
East of Scotland Shield definitely used to include Berwick and Meadowbank back in the day, and quite possibly more teams than that if you go back further than I can remember.

However, in more recent years it's simply been a one-off clash between the Hibs and Hearts youth teams. Not sure if it's still going but Hibs won it ten years in a row recently!

http://www.youthfootballscotland.co.uk/south-east-region/item/8824-hibees-make-it-10-in-a-row-in-eos-shield.html

ancient hibee
23-08-2018, 01:13 PM
Going back further than you can remember it was only Hibs and Hearts and made money for the clubs(who normally only met twice)and the hospital football broadcast charity.

Famous Fiver
23-08-2018, 03:31 PM
I am sure 'Medals' Mackay never got his hands on this trophy throughout his undistinguished career.

pollution
23-08-2018, 04:22 PM
Did the competition not become the Festival Cup? Before that the Summer Cup?

Ringothedog
23-08-2018, 04:25 PM

No, the summer cup was run by the SFA. The East of Scotland shield has always been the East of Scotland shield, the other tournaments you mention were competitions to try and increase revenue for both clubs

Kato
23-08-2018, 04:25 PM

No. It's always been the East of Scotland Shield.

G B Young
23-08-2018, 04:38 PM
No. It's always been the East of Scotland Shield.

Says here it was originally known as the Edinburgh FA Cup but after Hibs won it three years in a row they got to keep the trophy!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_of_Scotland_Shield

The article also lists about a dozen teams which used to take part.

Ringothedog
23-08-2018, 04:47 PM
Says here it was originally known as the Edinburgh FA Cup but after Hibs won it three years in a row they got to keep the trophy!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_of_Scotland_Shield

The article also lists about a dozen teams which used to take part.
Which is one of the trophies kept by St Patrick’s church

Brizo
23-08-2018, 05:08 PM

I seem to remember they were fighting among themselves in the Dunbar End , as well as trying to break into the seated enclosure (now the FF stand). And as others have said mayhem uptown afterwards.

Ringothedog
23-08-2018, 06:39 PM
I seem to remember they were fighting among themselves in the Dunbar End , as well as trying to break into the seated enclosure (now the FF stand). And as others have said mayhem uptown afterwards.

Yup, real tough guys, charge into the seated enclosure which was our family stand or go another 10 yards and try and get into the main terracing. Guess which one those hard men chose?

BullsCloseHibs
23-08-2018, 08:12 PM
I recall watching us beat Hearts in this trophy on a Saturday. ER was bouncing!

ancient hibee
23-08-2018, 08:34 PM
Hearts signed a 6ft3 centre half from Arsenal.Ithink It was his first game was. at Tynecastle in a Shield final.Cross comes in Fotheringham jumps with 5ft 8 Reilly who heads the ball into the net.Don’t think Fotheringham played another game.

hibsbollah
23-08-2018, 08:39 PM
A trophy that was the climax of Gary Mackays glittering career. And some people accuse him of winning nothing. Well done Gary :cup:

heretoday
23-08-2018, 10:59 PM
The E of S Shield was hotly contested back in the 60s. Some cracking matches.

monktonharp
24-08-2018, 12:26 AM
bloody hell . the gorgie mob won it in 1910, 11-2 on corners! we should have won half of the 22 in a row, on corners!:fuming:

kaimendhibs
24-08-2018, 04:18 AM
Story goes a mix of Hibs and Hearts players took him around the back of a boozer for a pasting after that tackle.

Busby was a thug and a woeful footballer.

Hearts fans of a certain generation treat him as a "legend".

Those last two sentences aren't necessarily related but probably are.And from Airdrie

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk