PDA

View Full Version : Selling your best players to Sevco

Captain Trips
22-08-2018, 05:24 PM
How embarrassing.

cleanyman
22-08-2018, 05:26 PM
Offer more cash than both Hearts and Hibs

We'll be selling to them once again in the not too distant future.

HoboHarry
22-08-2018, 05:27 PM
Not really sure what else they could have done? Seemed like he wanted to go and the money was right.....

CropleyWasGod
22-08-2018, 05:29 PM
How embarrassing.Not sure it is tbh.

Pretty sure we would do it in circumstances that suited us.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Centre Hawf
22-08-2018, 05:37 PM
Just continuing that strange relationship between the two clubs. :greengrin

Captain Trips
22-08-2018, 05:39 PM
I think it is so there you go.

Captain Trips
22-08-2018, 05:40 PM
Not really sure what else they could have done? Seemed like he wanted to go and the money was right.....

Said no.

IGRIGI
22-08-2018, 05:40 PM
The Gorgie loyal will have no problem with a "follow on" to Ibrox.

Jim44
22-08-2018, 05:53 PM

Said no.

No he didn’t. He was ridiculously ambiguous. He said he was happy at Hearts and happy to remain there but was trying his hardest to attract the attention of Sevco. :rolleyes: Idiot.

HoboHarry
22-08-2018, 05:53 PM
Said no.
They could have done that if they wanted an unhappy player in the dressing room and also felt that they didn't need a cash windfall.......

Captain Trips
22-08-2018, 05:57 PM
They could have done that if they wanted an unhappy player in the dressing room and also felt that they didn't need a cash windfall.......

Scott Allan.

The Harp Awakes
22-08-2018, 05:58 PM
Lafferty and Sevco were made for each other. A toxic player and a toxic club.

Scouse Hibee
22-08-2018, 05:59 PM
How embarrassing.

Hearts desperately need the cash it’s as simple as that.

CropleyWasGod
22-08-2018, 06:01 PM
Scott Allan.Like I said, those circumstances didn't suit us at that time.

There have been many in the past that have, and there will be more in the future.

Captain Trips
22-08-2018, 06:02 PM
Hearts desperately need the cash it’s as simple as that.

So? They are supposed to be a big club looking to finish high in table. Embarrassing pure and simple.

Scouse Hibee
22-08-2018, 06:04 PM
So? They are supposed to be a big club looking to finish high in table. Embarrassing pure and simple.

You must be easily embarrassed, they are in dire straights with a huge cash deficit and Queen Ann will stop at nothing to plug the gap. They are not a big club.

Lago
22-08-2018, 06:09 PM
Not sure it is tbh.

Pretty sure we would do it in circumstances that suited us.

We have done.

HappyAsHellas
22-08-2018, 06:12 PM
Still trying to get over Colin Stein for £100k in 1969? Not that I hold a grudge........

Captain Trips
22-08-2018, 06:21 PM
You must be easily embarrassed, they are in dire straights with a huge cash deficit and Queen Ann will stop at nothing to plug the gap. They are not a big club.

No not really.

Captain Trips
22-08-2018, 06:22 PM
We have done.

When did we sell our best player to Sevco? Never happened.

CropleyWasGod
22-08-2018, 06:22 PM
We have done.Many times.

Stein, Paterson, Miller, Thomson off the top of my heid.

Captain Trips
22-08-2018, 06:23 PM
Many times.

No we didn't.

I'm_cabbaged
22-08-2018, 06:25 PM
No we didn't.

Ok then, we did to the old co.. **** me

CropleyWasGod
22-08-2018, 06:28 PM
No we didn't.Nice way to bring in another old club/new club debate 🤣

Blaster
22-08-2018, 06:29 PM
Many times.

Whitaker

JimboHibs
22-08-2018, 06:30 PM
Said no.

When he wanted to go ?

Captain Trips
22-08-2018, 06:31 PM
Nice way to bring in another old club/new club debate 🤣

It's not a debate about that IMO selling your best player to Sevco when you are top of league and supposed to be the big I am and the fee gained all in all its embarrassing.

BILLYHIBS
22-08-2018, 06:32 PM
Still trying to get over Colin Stein for £100k in 1969? Not that I hold a grudge........

Me tae ! I have had PTSD since 1969 went cock eyed and started to stammer got kept back a year at primary. :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
WhitakerI'd also throw in Johnny Hamilton, but would probably get shouted at [emoji16]

Iain Munro?

Captain Trips
When he wanted to go ?

Re Scott Allan.

CropleyWasGod
22-08-2018, 06:34 PM
It's not a debate about that IMO selling your best player to Sevco when you are top of league and supposed to be the big I am and the fee gained all in all its embarrassing.And we would do the same if the situation suited us.

JimboHibs
22-08-2018, 06:37 PM
And we would do the same if the situation suited us.

We were after him,not sure how far discussions went but sure Lennon held talks.

Lol this place if we had sold him to the Huns.

West lower
22-08-2018, 06:38 PM
When did we sell our best player to Sevco? Never happened.

Andy Goram

HoboHarry
22-08-2018, 06:39 PM
Me tae ! I have had PTSD since 1969 went cock eyed and started to stammer got kept back a year at primary. :greengrin
That was likely nothing to do with Colin Stein, but I do applaud you for beginning the particular bad habit that caused those afflictions as early as primary school. I must have been a late developer.......

Captain Trips
22-08-2018, 06:44 PM
Andy Goram

Nope.

Zazu62
22-08-2018, 06:46 PM
Ian Murray?

JimboHibs
22-08-2018, 06:47 PM
Ian Murray?

That was Rangers not the Newco

Hibee87
22-08-2018, 06:51 PM
How embarrassing.

More embarrassing than this?

https://www.facebook.com/TheJamTarts51/videos/1902175593412030/

cleanyman
22-08-2018, 06:53 PM
This Newco Sevco chat is tedious

We've sold many players to Rangers in the past and will do so again

Who cares

heretoday
22-08-2018, 07:12 PM
This Newco Sevco chat is tedious

We've sold many players to Rangers in the past and will do so again

Who cares

You're right. It's just the way it is.

jacomo
22-08-2018, 07:20 PM

If the rumours about his Hearts contract are true, it won’t be much more! But a tidy signing on fee and the lure of der Hun no doubt turned his head.

Can you imagine if we had signed him last summer and were now dealing with this nonsense? Dodged a bullet there...

Pretty Boy
22-08-2018, 07:23 PM
I always find the Rangers/Hearts and Celtic/Hibs love in chat from fans of ourselves and Hearts a bit of a cringe.

Celtic and Rangers fans love to think that deep down everyone really supports one of them and whenever we mention it we just indulge that notion.

Captain Trips
22-08-2018, 07:39 PM
I'm not embarrassed they should be. The so called big club selling there prize asset for probably we'll under £1m to a club they should be looking to throw down a challenge.

IMO if we had bought him last year we would not be selling him to Sevco this evening I cannot prove we wouldn't I just do not think we would. If we are in a position our best player is worth a bid of 200k then we are in a sorry state.

Sevco are not Rangers they are not even close to it so any comparison of us selling players to Rangers for £2m etc are IMO irrelevant.

Hearts show me this evening they are a joke.

CropleyWasGod
22-08-2018, 07:48 PM
I'm not embarrassed they should be. The so called big club selling there prize asset for probably we'll under £1m to a club they should be looking to throw down a challenge.

IMO if we had bought him last year we would not be selling him to Sevco this evening I cannot prove we wouldn't I just do not think we would. If we are in a position our best player is worth a bid of 200k then we are in a sorry state.

Sevco are not Rangers they are not even close to it so any comparison of us selling players to Rangers for £2m etc are IMO irrelevant.

Hearts show me this evening they are a joke.Again.

There will be a time when, just like Hearts, it will suit us to sell to Rangers. That's just the way of football.

Captain Trips
22-08-2018, 07:53 PM
Again.

There will be a time when, just like Hearts, it will suit us to sell to Rangers. That's just the way of football.

Again.

If it suits us to sell our top scorer to Sevco for a fee likely to be well under £1m it will be a very sad affair. Through good management though we don't so like we did to Celtic they get fa until we see fit. Hearts are a joke.

HibbyDave
22-08-2018, 08:01 PM
It’s another case where OF destabilise other teams in same league.
It’s happened for decades and will continue until the board(S) of other teams grow a pair.
Celtic bidding for McKenns /SJM, huns for laughable,Dundee Utd selling their midfield to Celtic ....... the story repeats year on year but nowt changes.

West lower
22-08-2018, 08:04 PM
Nope.

Different name. Same people and principle still the same.

hibby6270
22-08-2018, 08:17 PM

Like you both that one still rankles me to this day.
I cried and have never forgiven Oldco for their temerity.

ddoc
22-08-2018, 10:04 PM
Like you both that one still rankles me to this day.
I cried and have never forgiven Oldco for their temerity.

My memories of Colin Stein in a Hibs shirt are pretty vague, but I do not remember suffering any great angst when he was transferred. All the talk at school was around the fee, a $100K was just astounding at the time. I also think the 'dislike' of Rangers was not as intense as it now. It is only since 'social media' has taken a grip of our lives that I realized supporters got so wound up about transferring players to certain cubs, transfers between Celtic / Rangers being the exception due to the nature of their supporters.

NAE NOOKIE
23-08-2018, 12:14 AM
It has happened for years and will continue to happen … money talks … with the only positive in the modern era being that the uglies are now in competition with about 50 English clubs rather than 20 or so for the best Scottish players.

As others have said, this transfer wont make a huge difference to the challenge Sevco present, it already looked like they were much improved from last season. What it will do is weaken the Yams, for all that he was and is an utter prick Laughatme was banging in the goals for them and he will be hard to replace, with the injury to Berra that's a double whammy so far as I can see.

Austinho
23-08-2018, 01:56 AM
I always find the Rangers/Hearts and Celtic/Hibs love in chat from fans of ourselves and Hearts a bit of a cringe.

Celtic and Rangers fans love to think that deep down everyone really supports one of them and whenever we mention it we just indulge that notion.It’s one thing both of us losing our best players to the Old Firm, but they really aren’t helping themselves with songs about flutes, the IRA and stamping on fenians, Red Hand salutes and Red Hand flags when they have no connection to politics in Northern Ireland whatsoever.

Thankfully we’ve done our part in distancing ourselves massively from all of that.

Baader
23-08-2018, 02:16 AM
It’s one thing both of us losing our best players to the Old Firm, but they really aren’t helping themselves with songs about flutes, the IRA and stamping on fenians, Red Hand salutes and Red Hand flags when they have no connection to politics in Northern Ireland whatsoever.

Thankfully we’ve done our part in distancing ourselves massively from all of that.

Embarrassing stuff. Despite probably a majority of them being against it there is no doubt they have a good few mini Huns. A lot of young idiots who don't know anything about politics, history and seem to revel in bigotry. And it seems to be on the increase there.

The boy Keena they have as a young backup striker is Irish. Wonder what he'll make of their sectarian nonsense if he gets games...

Dashing Bob S
23-08-2018, 02:36 AM
You can't compare the Lafferty situation to McGinn. Our boy is an emergent star with a long career in front of him, and will probably go on to do well in England. The only reason a Premiership side didn't come in for him, I think, is (and this perverse) his transfer fee would have been too small due to his wages, and the club in questions fans would expect them to spend bigger money on a player. Thus a lesser player like Armstrong can go for a bigger fee as his wages are higher.

Lafferty is an average old school journeyman striker at the end of his career. His 19 goals last season attest to the fact that he can still do a job in Scotland in the right circumstances (so can Kris Boyd FFS) but the sell-on value of those players in England is negligible. Posters who say that he'll weaken Hearts without strengthening Rangers are probably correct, but I'm not convinced he would have been anything like as effective for them this season, and it might not be such a bad move to offload him, assuming they can find a carthorse efficient replacement.

JimBHibees
23-08-2018, 08:53 AM

Celtic and Rangers fans love to think that deep down everyone really supports one of them and whenever we mention it we just indulge that notion.

Agree totally was quite depressing when I think it was on the radio Robbo saying that when he was in a dressing room you would always get half of the team wanting Celtic and half Rangers, personally I think that is an absolute crock as there may be times I want one to beat the other if it helps Hibs there is no way I have a preference as some sort of default position. Totally feeds into OF dominant mentality media driven nonsense.

where'stheslope
23-08-2018, 03:11 PM

And the truth of it is EVERYONE hates them both with a VENGANCE!!!

Famous Fiver
23-08-2018, 03:18 PM
The only reason Laugherty went to Rangers was MONEY.

It has been reported that he has had gambling issues. Whether these have been addressed or not, it has also been reported that he has done a fair few quid over his career, hence his anxiety to get another big bite at the cherry before the legs go.

If his form with Rangers is good and he scores a few, then attracts attention from the big money boys down south he be off like a startled rabbit. Won't happen though.

Captain Trips
23-08-2018, 05:12 PM
There is no comparison for me between the Rangers pre 2012 spending on playersand for fun on wages etc etc.

Sevco isn't even close to that so that is why at this juncture if Us, Aberdeen or Hearts shouldn't be selling to them like it was 1986 to 2012. We are IMO comepting with them not making up the numbers.

Sevco have spent more than most they are still not even close to the days of Gazza etc they are paying a lot of money for not as good quality as they used to get.

If Lafferty had joined us IMO there is no way we would have sold him to Sevco if he was our main striker.

We tell the richer half their offers for SJM are a joke Hearts give in to Sevco quite eaisly. Natural order indeed.

WeeRussell
24-08-2018, 12:19 PM
There is no comparison for me between the Rangers pre 2012 spending on playersand for fun on wages etc etc.

Sevco isn't even close to that so that is why at this juncture if Us, Aberdeen or Hearts shouldn't be selling to them like it was 1986 to 2012. We are IMO comepting with them not making up the numbers.

Sevco have spent more than most they are still not even close to the days of Gazza etc they are paying a lot of money for not as good quality as they used to get.

If Lafferty had joined us IMO there is no way we would have sold him to Sevco if he was our main striker.

We tell the richer half their offers for SJM are a joke Hearts give in to Sevco quite eaisly. Natural order indeed.

Nah.. you're still just havering I'm afraid.

Rangers had an offer turned down, but are spending money like nobody's business (as usual)... they came back and made an offer Hearts were willing to accept, just like everyone knew would happen.

They've had a lot of embarrassing moments over the past few years but you're no half grabbing at straws here.

SirDavidsNapper
24-08-2018, 12:36 PM
You can't compare the Lafferty situation to McGinn. Our boy is an emergent star with a long career in front of him, and will probably go on to do well in England. The only reason a Premiership side didn't come in for him, I think, is (and this perverse) his transfer fee would have been too small due to his wages, and the club in questions fans would expect them to spend bigger money on a player. Thus a lesser player like Armstrong can go for a bigger fee as his wages are higher.

Lafferty is an average old school journeyman striker at the end of his career. His 19 goals last season attest to the fact that he can still do a job in Scotland in the right circumstances (so can Kris Boyd FFS) but the sell-on value of those players in England is negligible. Posters who say that he'll weaken Hearts without strengthening Rangers are probably correct, but I'm not convinced he would have been anything like as effective for them this season, and it might not be such a bad move to offload him, assuming they can find a carthorse efficient replacement.

He just scored a screamer of a winner for them against the champions in his second league game. Can't stand they guy but he's a good player who has a knack of scoring important goals. He's a big loss to them as the giant striker(s) wont be as prolific.

Captain Trips
24-08-2018, 12:37 PM
Nah.. you're still just havering I'm afraid.

Rangers had an offer turned down, but are spending money like nobody's business (as usual)... they came back and made an offer Hearts were willing to accept, just like everyone knew would happen.

They've had a lot of embarrassing moments over the past few years but you're no half grabbing at straws here.

Ok

SingaporeHibs
24-08-2018, 12:41 PM
Lafferty is from a hugely bigoted background. I know a couple of guys who grew up near him, the family is well known and there is no mistake of where they sit on religion, politics, Football and the rest.
When I read he might be speaking to Lennon before he ended up with the Jambos, I knew there wasn’t a chance in hell that would happen. Funny how that turned out.
So a year on and the Huns come in for him, there was never any doubt that deal wasn’t going to be done. The Jambos tried to fight it off in a half hearted way but ultimately had to take whatever as they couldn’t be left with a ‘pro’ that wouldn’t have been happy at not being allowed to return to his home.

Hibernia&Alba
24-08-2018, 02:45 PM
How embarrassing.

It's just part of the football food chain, CT. Sevco might have scarpered from their £140 million debt, but that means they can carry on as before: demanding the best players from every other club (bar Celtc) at a knockdown price. It's morally disgusting, but legal. Laffingstock wanted to return 'home' to Bigot Dungeon and Hearts got some cash, rather than lose him for nothing in the future.

I would love nothing more than see Hunco go to the wall again.

Captain Trips
24-08-2018, 10:56 PM
It's just part of the football food chain, CT. Sevco might have scarpered from their £140 million debt, but that means they can carry on as before: demanding the best players from every other club (bar Celtc) at a knockdown price. It's morally disgusting, but legal. Laffingstock wanted to return 'home' to Bigot Dungeon and Hearts got some cash, rather than lose him for nothing in the future.

I would love nothing more than see Hunco go to the wall again.

This is my point its Hearts own fault that they are in a position there best player was worth so little. Hearts should have been in a position to tell them to FO. We have no idea how the lanky streak of pish would have took it being told he was staying.

Sevco are not Rangers of the 90s and the 00s. Yes they are paying higher wages than everyone bar Celtic but all there deals the fees seem ambiguous with terms as "a deal worth" etc.

IMO Hearts should have been in a position to tell Sevco to piss off and keep KL or tell him he can go elsewhere. I'm not on this Sevco bandwagon that the media are seem to be on. For me they are still there to be taken down and I believe Hibs can be the closet challengers to Celtic.

Hearts will never do that selling their best to Sevco. All this shows me is not the so called strength of Sevco but the state that Hearts are in.

BegbieHSC
25-08-2018, 01:36 AM

We lost a few players to oldco, but I hope we maintain our no business policy with the new huns at sevco.

We should be ambitious, and not succumb or accept weegie dominance going forward.

On Sevco - the way their board bitterly went after us after 21.05, paired along with their bigoted fans, and let’s face it, bigoted institutions, I’d be very unhappy to see us selling players to them directly in the future - regardless of financial circumstances.

Their fans hate everything we stand for, and our club’s whole history - their board pander to them at every possible turn.

From a business perspective, as opposed to a principled perspective, we should also resist a return to the old ways - if we’re ambitious, we should always consider them competitive rivals, and competitive rivals don’t sell their best players to each other.

We have to take a stand, and never be pressured for our assets by those ne’er-do-wells again.