PDA

View Full Version : World wide football

roc1
22-08-2018, 04:34 PM
I have (and I suspect I am not alone) have been aware that fans actually going to games is not important to the money men at clubs particularly at the ‘top’ end so it’s interesting to see the Spanish players voicing doubts about la liga game being played in USA. However being a natural born cynic that might be more about their cut from it🙄

Diclonius
22-08-2018, 04:47 PM
Now football no longer needs fans the heart will be gutted out of it. This is only the beginning.

NAE NOOKIE
22-08-2018, 11:52 PM
Just another symptom of the growing disconnect between so many clubs and their traditional fan bases … Imagine auld Pedro who has never missed his team play a home game facing the prospect of finally missing one because his club have decided to pander to their armchair audience in pursuit of the almighty Euro.

Its like the American football regular season games being played in London … fans of these clubs only see about 10 home games a season as it is … I would be bloody raging to see one given over to pander to the 'international audience' if I was them.

Lendo
23-08-2018, 06:43 AM
Just another symptom of the growing disconnect between so many clubs and their traditional fan bases … Imagine auld Pedro who has never missed his team play a home game facing the prospect of finally missing one because his club have decided to pander to their armchair audience in pursuit of the almighty Euro.

Its like the American football regular season games being played in London … fans of these clubs only see about 10 home games a season as it is … I would be bloody raging to see one given over to pander to the 'international audience' if I was them.

I don't know anything about American Football really. Do they American's really care about games being played in London?

This is a sport where a "club" (Read: franchise) can uproot and move to an entirely new city or state because they are offered a new stadium.

hibsbollah
23-08-2018, 06:55 AM
Now football no longer needs fans

This is a misnomer. Noone's going to buy a product thats played in an empty stadium. The authenticity is crucial to the product's success, if you take the fans away from the game your punter in Jakarta or Singapore or San Francisco will tire of it quite quickly and cancel their subscription.

Global football is just the most visible and extreme example of global capitalism. And capitalism, definitely always, needs a consumer.

calumhibee1
23-08-2018, 06:57 AM
I don't know anything about American Football really. Do they American's really care about games being played in London?

This is a sport where a "club" (Read: franchise) can uproot and move to an entirely new city or state because they are offered a new stadium.

American sports certainly do seem different from the outside looking in. I can’t imagine them having the same outrage as we do at the thought of our team playing competitive games abroad but then again I don’t think they have the same passion as we do either.

ian cruise
23-08-2018, 07:24 AM
American sports certainly do seem different from the outside looking in. I can’t imagine them having the same outrage as we do at the thought of our team playing competitive games abroad but then again I don’t think they have the same passion as we do either.

I'd guess, there's a, mixture of the fact it's not as regular as us ie going to the football every second Saturday at home and for many following the team away too, the fact many are new franchises so fans enjoy the experience but don't have the same emotional connection and also that Americans tend to avidly follow more than one sport so if there's no football they've baseball or hockey in some occasions. For us it's not only changing tradition but what many see as in integral part of the game.

I totally agree with those who say this is the end of the game at that level though. England will follow and the old firm will push to copy. Hopefully they get told to f off and the Scottish leagues can benefit from growing discontent in the English game which I imagine would follow such a move.

Halmyre Hibee
23-08-2018, 07:56 AM
Would hate a competitive Hibs game being moved to say USA/Canada or Australia for financial reasons only.

That said there are many ex pats who would love to see the Hibees in action and I would have no objection to Hibs playing Hearts for example in a friendly or sponsored one off match or a series of matches with other Scottish clubs like Celtic, Rangers & Aberdeen.

With the lack of TV money in Scottish football it may provide much needed finance and at the worst gives overseas ex pats a chance to see Scottish football live rather than on TV.

1van Sprou7e
23-08-2018, 08:18 AM
This is a misnomer. Noone's going to buy a product thats played in an empty stadium. The authenticity is crucial to the product's success, if you take the fans away from the game your punter in Jakarta or Singapore or San Francisco will tire of it quite quickly and cancel their subscription.

Global football is just the most visible and extreme example of global capitalism. And capitalism, definitely always, needs a consumer.

There will always be "fans" (tourists) in the stadiums

The local fans are no longer needed for most Pl teams though

hibsbollah
23-08-2018, 10:04 AM
There will always be "fans" (tourists) in the stadiums

The local fans are no longer needed for most Pl teams though

You aren't going to fill huge stadia, even in London, solely with tourists. And those tourists aren't going to contribute to the atmosphere, which is 100% necessary for the product to sell to a TV audience.

Edit-I agree broadly that the atmosphere at top flight football grounds in England is nowhere near as good as on most of the continent. But there will come a point where the moneymen will offer compromises to fans' and fans groups. If only for self interest.