PDA

View Full Version : Player rating vs Ross County

Unseen work
20-08-2018, 02:54 PM
Got the win but imo was quite a poor performance for us in that we never seemed to take control of the game and looked a bit all over the place. To be expected with so many games lately though and new players coming in.

Laidlaw - 6
Couple of dodgy moments and imo should be saving the first goal. Good but not spectacular save from the free kick.

Gray - 7
Typical SDG solid as ever and is already a threat in the opposition box

Efe -7
Penalty mistake aside I thought he was class and strolled the game

Porteous - 6
Not as convincing as normal and struggled with Declan McManus at the start of the game imo. Looked a bit tired to me

Stevenson - 6
Stuck in as ever but needs a rest, he’s knackered.

Boyle - 6
Started well and caused them problems but then again tired second half. Missed 2 verg good chances.

Mallan -7
Always willing to put his foot on the ball and try pick a pass, covers a lot of ground and is more tenacious than I thought. Certainly room for improvement defensively. Great goal

Hyndman - 6
Disappointed with him, seemed to do something well before overdoing it on nearly every occasion. Will be good when he gets match fit.

Martin - 6
Started very slow and I was worried for him. Came into a not bad game though and started using the ball better and won his tackles.

Horgan - 8
Motm. Can go right foot or left foot and has quality with both, takes his man on and is a hard working and strong for a winger. Great cross and goal, looking forward to seeing more of him.

Shaw - 7
Actually thought he done quite well holding the ball up today, certainly seems to have improved at this. Great ball to Boyle who should have scored.

Subs:

Whittikar - 6
Better than folk made out, won his tackles and use of ball was good overall

MacLaren- 5
Need more from him, barely touched the ball.

Our midfield concerns me at the moment as I can see teams like Aberdeen and Hearts completing dominating and bullying us in there as we are a bit all over the place. Hopefully Milligan makes a difference but he can’t do it all by himself.

Anyone know why Scott Martin got subbed? Was surprised to see him start, don’t know if it was to give him a chance or to try put him in the shop window.

nonshinyfinish
20-08-2018, 03:02 PM
Martin took a shot full in the face a bit before half time, broken nose apparently.

Colr
20-08-2018, 04:23 PM
That was my first home game in nearly 20years and my son’s first at ER.

Horgan looks good but the movement off the ball throughout the team was pretty poor which reflected in the poor passing.

Glad to see a win, though.

hibsbollah
20-08-2018, 04:43 PM
A bit generous with the numbers overall I think, we need to play a lot better than that going forward, despite the absences, but I've also noticed us Scots are very conservative with player ratings in general. The papers up here never really deviate from between a 4 (a zibby or karius-like performance) and an 8 (for the Rivaldo hattrick game, latapy in the 6-2 etc. ) Everyone is usually a 6 or a 7.

L'équipe in France is famous for its harsh ratings ( you need a great performance to get a 6), and I notice the Manchester evening news gave most of the Utd squad 3's for their game yesterday and Juan Mata a 1!!!

Smartie
20-08-2018, 04:56 PM
I think 6s and 7s for most is fair enough. It was an average performance, and those who did come away with moments for inspiration (Laidlaw's saves, Ambrose's nifty footwork, Boyle's movement, Whittaker's long pass to Gray, Hyndman threading some passes into the strikers) also blotted their copybook (Laidlaw hoofing the ball straight out and getting into a few fankles with Ambrose, Ambrose's comedy 20 minutes at the start of the second half when he could have given away 3 goals, Boyle missing several 1 on 1s, Whittaker dithering, Hyndman flitting in and out the game and overdoing it).

Horgan was MOTM by some distance but David Gray had a quietly efficient performance and didn't put a foot wrong. Efe was at times sublime, at some other times was coming away with stuff that you'd get slaughtered for in a pub league.

Most football is average, much as we like to dress it up as being either brilliant or keech.