PDA

View Full Version : Anyone feel the season is only really staring now?

G B Young
20-08-2018, 10:31 AM
I've loved us being in Europe this season. We put in a good showing, earned a very handy chunk of extra cash and I hope the experience has been useful for the players. However, it's seemed in some ways like a glamorous summer adventure which has seen the domestic games take a back seat.

Now that we're back to 'normal' it will be good to get a bit of a breather from midweek games and perhaps give Lennon some time to assess what his strongest line-up is. For the last few weeks we've been bedding in new players and everything has felt a little stop-start.

The good thing is that we've quietly made a solid enough start to the season. Yes it would have been good to have won at St Johnstone, but we're better off than most when it comes to points and we're through to the last eight of the League Cup after winning a game we would almost certainly have lost pre-Lennon had we found ourselves 2-1 down in the second half and not playing well. Here's hoping we can build on that and kick on to have another excellent season.

frazeHFC
21-08-2018, 06:44 AM
Although professional footballers should be able to play 2 games a week, not having that any more should help us. Once the new signings are up to speed I think our squad is looking strong. We weren't great on Sunday but we still came back from behind twice to win. This Hibs team is certainly resilient. Exciting season ahead.

Dancehibs
21-08-2018, 06:50 AM
Although professional footballers should be able to play 2 games a week, not having that any more should help us. Once the new signings are up to speed I think our squad is looking strong. We weren't great on Sunday but we still came back from behind twice to win. This Hibs team is certainly resilient. Exciting season ahead.
It’s not about not being able to play 2 games in a week. Playing high tempo games which effectively are you pre season games. Trying to blend in new players who aren’t match fit. Hence Lenny has given some players a few days off

JimBHibees
21-08-2018, 06:53 AM
It’s not about not being able to play 2 games in a week. Playing high tempo games which effectively are you pre season games. Trying to blend in new players who aren’t match fit. Hence Lenny has given some players a few days off

The travelling and staying in different hotels etc will be tiring also.

Onion
21-08-2018, 07:03 AM
Lennon must be frustrated that he’s still building the squad and that it took so long to sell SJM. He’s been unable to spend much time in the training pitch due to games/travel every 4 days. He’s also spent most of our games sitting in the stand! All that has impacted our progress over the last few weeks and it’s astonishing how well Hibs have done under the circs. I’m convinced that with a couple more signings and Lennon having rime to work with them, the team will really kick on.

IngolstadtHarry
21-08-2018, 07:06 AM
A feeling that the season is staring could indicate a tendency towards paranoia.
My impression is that the season has only given me a quick glance without making too much eye contact.

LancsHibs
21-08-2018, 07:09 AM
Lennon must be frustrated that he’s still building the squad and that it took so long to sell SJM. He’s been unable to spend much time in the training pitch due to games/travel every 4 days. He’s also spent most of our games sitting in the stand! All that has impacted our progress over the last few weeks and it’s astonishing how well Hibs have done under the circs. I’m convinced that with a couple more signings and Lennon having rime to work with them, the team will really kick on.

Agree with all the above, shame we are only getting our squad together now, if Europa League started now we would be favourites to beat Molde

Greenworld
21-08-2018, 07:10 AM
A feeling that the season is staring could indicate a tendency towards paranoia.
My impression is that the season has only given me a quick glance without making too much eye contact.[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

SirDavidsNapper
21-08-2018, 08:14 AM
I've loved us being in Europe this season. We put in a good showing, earned a very handy chunk of extra cash and I hope the experience has been useful for the players. However, it's seemed in some ways like a glamorous summer adventure which has seen the domestic games take a back seat.

Now that we're back to 'normal' it will be good to get a bit of a breather from midweek games and perhaps give Lennon some time to assess what his strongest line-up is. For the last few weeks we've been bedding in new players and everything has felt a little stop-start.

The good thing is that we've quietly made a solid enough start to the season. Yes it would have been good to have won at St Johnstone, but we're better off than most when it comes to points and we're through to the last eight of the League Cup after winning a game we would almost certainly have lost pre-Lennon had we found ourselves 2-1 down in the second half and not playing well. Here's hoping we can build on that and kick on to have another excellent season.

I agree. Picking up 4 points in our opening two league games and negotiating a tricky league cup tie amongst the European games gives me reason for optimism. We've not been able to train properly and had new players to bed in after losing our two best. I think we'll be just fine this season and like you say, with a swollen bank balance.

WeeRussell
21-08-2018, 08:17 AM
Agree with all the above, shame we are only getting our squad together now, if Europa League started now we would be favourites to beat Molde

Not for me. Not in my eyes and we certainly wouldn’t be with the bookies either.

SirDavidsNapper
21-08-2018, 08:19 AM

Molde are a good side especially at home. A level up from us i'd say. Celtic would struggle against them.

SirDavidsNapper
21-08-2018, 08:21 AM
A win against Aberdeen will have us all buzzing again. Obviously a very difficult game though.

Onion
21-08-2018, 09:03 AM
If Lennon manages to get us into Europe again, his rebuilding job of our midfield will be up there with the great job Stubbs did after Butcher.

Sammy7nil
21-08-2018, 10:21 AM
Molde are a good side especially at home. A level up from us i'd say. Celtic would struggle against them.

IMHO Celtic would beat them comfortably. With a little luck we could have gone over there with 2 goal lead and Celtic are FAR better than us at home on European night.

Baw187
21-08-2018, 10:27 AM
I agree with the sentiment of the OP. We clearly don’t have a squad big enough to perform Thursday / Sunday for a sustained period, unlike clubs with more cash. I had a real worry that progression in Europe would have had a significant impact on our league form.

I’m now hopeful that all the new bodies will settle in and we’ll now hit our stride from now on in. Sunday aside, I’ve been impressed with how we’ve looked without any tactical training having taken place so am excited about what we’ll do now we have time to work on tactics and game plans.

WeeRussell
21-08-2018, 11:25 AM
IMHO Celtic would beat them comfortably. With a little luck we could have gone over there with 2 goal lead and Celtic are FAR better than us at home on European night.

I know we were unlucky not to... but the reality is we failed to score a goal against them over 2 legs, they did a professional job and ended up going through fairly comfortably.

Inconsequential
21-08-2018, 01:45 PM
Molde are a good side especially at home. A level up from us i'd say. Celtic would struggle against them. Molde did beat Celtic iirc and their manager stated their synthetic pitch gave them an advantage!

blackpoolhibs
21-08-2018, 02:00 PM
No, our season started weeks ago, but our team will not be finalised until the last day of the window.

Things will settle down then, and the players will then have time to gel properly.

Keith_M
21-08-2018, 02:01 PM
Starting or Staring?

matty_f
21-08-2018, 02:39 PM
Definitely feels like it's starting now, we're close to a finalized squad, Agpeyong finally has his visa/work permit, and the welcome distraction of the Europa League qualifiers has ended.

I think Lennon having time with the squad on the training ground will make us better, and will also play a big part in settling the new guys in.

Big game on Saturday, I think Lennon will start to field his best eleven as often as possible now, and that's going to help us as well.

horseflesh
21-08-2018, 03:38 PM
I still have this massive feeling of fedup-ness now we are out of europe. Absolutely loved the excitement and unusualness of it all.
Guess it must be what having an affair feels like, magic at the time but aware that one day you will have to face up to the reallity of real life again, didnt help that our first match was against Ross County. I'm sure when it settles down again I will start to look forward to playing Livingston, St Mirren and Dundee - like a prisoner gets used to his chains

sean04
21-08-2018, 04:16 PM

I said the same coming out er on sunday. Think Lennon will be desperate to get them back training and working on some tactical stuff. Hopefully another week will help get players fitness up and it feels like the start of the season on Sat

SingaporeHibs
21-08-2018, 04:20 PM
I still have this massive feeling of fedup-ness now we are out of europe. Absolutely loved the excitement and unusualness of it all.
Guess it must be what having an affair feels like, magic at the time but aware that one day you will have to face up to the reallity of real life again, didnt help that our first match was against Ross County. I'm sure when it settles down again I will start to look forward to playing Livingston, St Mirren and Dundee - like a prisoner gets used to his chains

😂 let it all out, it will be ok.
It’s been a funny start to the season but no doubt our flirtation with Europe was exciting. The initial 2 rounds were great prep for the team and we flew out the blocks in the opening league game but it quickly took its toll. The travel, games, still signing players, injuries, not having much training time all combined was starting to make the team creak. In hindsight I think we exited at the right stage. We needed this week to regroup, Lennon has them all week, they can work on the team, tactics, getting to know each other etc.
Only 3rd league game and it’s a big one, would be a huge boost to beat Aberdeen. A big crowd, ER buzzing, the league really gets going now. GGTTH

rcarter1
21-08-2018, 08:46 PM
Agree with OP..

Europe was not likely to last that long and was a fun distraction (Group stages would have been incredible, but then again if we lost all the games by heavy margins how much fun would that be?).

Early games in the League Cup are a bit of a take it or leave it - but now we have a 'Rival' in the Qtrs, it gets all exciting again. The prospect for another high octane clash in a -possible- semi final is also exciting.

Im looking forward to seeing how the team goes in the league most of all. With the extent of changes it could take a while to get the team playing confidently together. Team spirit and togetherness will hopefully grow as well. Im not expecting a great points haul from the first 11 matches, but as long as we can get stronger through the season, it can be a good one! Still haven't seen Agyepong or Milligan either..

BILLYHIBS
21-08-2018, 09:03 PM
The real stuff starts Saturday a lot of big games coming up.

Celtic and Aberdeen in the doldrums.

Write off Celtic at your peril.

Resurgent Hearts and Stevie Gs The Rangers looking good.

Hibees getting up and running with hopefully more recruits still to come.

Lets do this HIBS!

Bring it on !

B.H.F.C
21-08-2018, 09:19 PM
Can’t agree that the season is only starting. We work hard all season in the league with the objective of qualifying for Europe.

Group stage was always a long shot this year but it’s not totally unacheivable as other smaller teams than us have shown. The revenue involved in Europe is the way to really grow the club if you can get through. Hopefully we can qualify again and use the experience we gained this year, along with having more of a squad in place, to help us go that bit further.

All that said, will be glad to get back to going to the football on a Saturday.

jacomo
21-08-2018, 09:46 PM
No, but we are very early in the season and domestically it’s all to play for.

This is very much Lenny’s team now (it was since he walked in the door, but you know what I mean) and I’m excited to see what will happen.

Hi Heid Yin
21-08-2018, 11:46 PM
Agree with OP..

Europe was not likely to last that long and was a fun distraction (Group stages would have been incredible, but then again if we lost all the games by heavy margins how much fun would that be?).

Early games in the League Cup are a bit of a take it or leave it - but now we have a 'Rival' in the Qtrs, it gets all exciting again. The prospect for another high octane clash in a -possible- semi final is also exciting.

Im looking forward to seeing how the team goes in the league most of all. With the extent of changes it could take a while to get the team playing confidently together. Team spirit and togetherness will hopefully grow as well. Im not expecting a great points haul from the first 11 matches, but as long as we can get stronger through the season, it can be a good one! Still haven't seen Agyepong or Milligan either..

I on the other hand am looking for us to be in the top 3 with around 25 points.
I'd love to know what Neil Lennon would be expecting, but not revealing to all and sundry.

EricStoner
22-08-2018, 12:19 AM
I'd love to know what Neil Lennon would be expecting, but not revealing to all and sundry.

25pts in the opening round? Keeping pace with that points-per-game tally over a season would've seen us finish 4pts ahead of Celtic last May.

NAE NOOKIE
22-08-2018, 12:59 AM
Absolutely get what the OP means … but the season started weeks ago for everybody if you factor in the League Cup group stages. Thank goodness we were spared them, give me Europe even against teams from the far flung corners of the continent any old day of the week than two dead rubbers against the likes of Alloa and Elgin City, nae offence. I'm sure the club treasurer agrees :greengrin

For me its clear as the nose on your face that because of the loss of practically a whole starting midfield and the introduction of so many new players in that area and elsewhere on the pitch we lack cohesion … our movement and understanding between the players is for me still quite a bit short of what it can or should be, and it shows not only in our lack of fluency in an attacking sense, but also and possibly more damaging in our failure to pick up opposition runners through the middle of the park …. every team we have played has managed to cut us open at one point or another, only bad luck and bad finishing stopped the Motherwell game being far closer than it was for example.

But the big positive here is that ( Molde away notwithstanding ) we have managed to achieve a positive result in every competitive game we have played and that shows a bit of character and fighting spirit, not to mention that we have players capable of a bit of individual brilliance. Once we have had the team together for a couple of months with proper training sessions and a chance to get to know and understand each other, not to mention once our injury and fitness issues have lessened we will IMO be a far more cohesive, affective and dangerous outfit.

Marciano ……. first choice keeper, injured.

Darren McGregor ….. first choice CH, injured.

Lewis Stevenson ….. no competition for his place, plays in every game, has to be tired after a hectic start to the season.

Stevie Mallan …. brilliant start to his Hibs career, but needs help with the tougher aspects of midfield to free him up a bit.

Marvin Bartley …. until this weekend our only defensive midfielder, injured.

Emerson Hyndman … played less than two full games, still bedding in.

Daryl Horgan …. same as Hyndman, looks good though.

Thomas Agyepong … hasn't kicked a ball yet.

Mark Milligan … same as Agyepong hasn't kicked a ball yet, but IMO he will be a certain starter practically every week.

Flo Kamberi … clearly injured and operating at about 70%

Jamie MacLaren …. looks short of match fitness and sharpness.

Martin Boyle …. far more emphasis on him than previously due to the loss of SJM, McGeough and Allan, the guy works his ass off, but I think he could be mentally tired .. once the midfield and forwards are up and running to full capacity IMO it will take the strain off a bit and we'll see him at his very best.

So there ya go ……. IMO we have far more to come and if we can address the problems we were bound to have at the start of this season, as I think we can, we could have a really good season. Whether Aberdeen at ER this weekend will be too soon remains to be seen.

Jim44
22-08-2018, 06:45 AM

I hope your wife doesn’t read this.:greengrin

chrisski33
22-08-2018, 07:12 AM
I think the game against Aberdeen is massive. Win it and we can kick on from there, lose this place will go into meltdown

calumhibee1
22-08-2018, 07:44 AM

That is very optimistic. That kind of form would win you the league most seasons.

BILLYHIBS
22-08-2018, 07:46 AM
Anyone else feel we still need further recruits before we can say we are done in this window and if so who do you think will or like to see come in or are you happy that the business we have done and the players we have at our disposal will help us surpass last seasons record breaking points total?