PDA

View Full Version : Steven Whittaker

Hawick hibee
20-08-2018, 06:00 AM
Over the last few season it's been a joy to watch and be part of the journey this club has been on. Relegation hit us hard but I think the club showed great courage, they backed the managers Stubbs at first and now Neil Lennon.
Wounds from the dark years have healed the fans have come back it's been great that cup win, the songs, the atmosphere, the feel good factor is what has made it as so special.
Please let's not get back to booing players who wear the jersey, that used to happen and it's never helped anyone play better!!!
The recruitment I think has been second to none recently and Steven has and will continue to give his all. He brings experience and as a professional in and around HTC will be a great role model for the young lads who are trying to break through. Steven is a model professional and I want guys like him at my club no headlines in the papers just a really good guy.
Steven I am sure will be the first say his form has dipped but get behind him and stop the booing or constant shouting crap at him when a pass is missed placed or a tackle missed.
We as fans can lift players who's heads are down so back him/them.
Over the last few season the old saying has never been truer " there is class, then there is Hibs class"
Let's not get back to booing or shout crap at a player, that's not Hibs class!!!
Rant over 💚

JimBHibees
20-08-2018, 06:09 AM
Over the last few season it's been a joy to watch and be part of the journey this club has been on. Relegation hit us hard but I think the club showed great courage, they backed the managers Stubbs at first and now Neil Lennon.
Wounds from the dark years have healed the fans have come back it's been great that cup win, the songs, the atmosphere, the feel good factor is what has made it as so special.
Please let's not get back to booing players who wear the jersey, that used to happen and it's never helped anyone play better!!!
The recruitment I think has been second to none recently and Steven has and will continue to give his all. He brings experience and as a professional in and around HTC will be a great role model for the young lads who are trying to break through. Steven is a model professional and I want guys like him at my club no headlines in the papers just a really good guy.
Steven I am sure will be the first say his form has dipped but get behind him and stop the booing or constant shouting crap at him when a pass is missed placed or a tackle missed.
Over the last few season the old saying has never been truer " there is class, then there is Hibs class"
Let's not get back to booing or shout crap at a player, that's not Hibs class!!!
Rant over 💚

Tend to agree he still has enough ability to contribute more than likely as cover however as you say seems a very good professional and is still an asset for the squad.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-08-2018, 06:12 AM
Unfortunately this message will fall on deaf ears for some folks and that’s just the way it is.

Iggy Pope
20-08-2018, 06:19 AM
Showed lovely composure to step inside his opponent to keep the move going at the 3rd goal.

adhibs
20-08-2018, 07:34 AM
He had one bad pass when he came on which got people on his back for the rest of the game. After that he was the best of our midfield 3 in the 2nd half. It was noticeable he never celebrated our 2nd goal, the unwarranted abuse yesterday must be getting to him.

The Leith Dutch
20-08-2018, 07:39 AM
Rant over 💚

Spot on mate.

Have whatever opinion you want on a player down the pub or on a forum but if they're on the pitch in a Hibs jersey it should be complete support.
Like you say - it's not like they play better because some plum feels the need to scream abuse at them.

jakedance
20-08-2018, 07:40 AM
He had one bad pass when he came on which got people on his back for the rest of the game. After that he was the best of our midfield 3 in the 2nd half. It was noticeable he never celebrated our 2nd goal, the unwarranted abuse yesterday must be getting to him.

Spot on. I don’t think his form has been good enough but he played well when he came on yesterday. People around me were on his back from the minute he came on. I don’t think I’ve booed a Hibs player in my life - it’s entirely counter productive.

PatHead
20-08-2018, 07:44 AM
Thought he played quite well. Hasn’t had an awful lot of game time and will take time to get up to speed.

He will not be able to be a replacement for Dylan. It would cost a few hundred thousand to do that. We will need to develop someone over a season or two to get to that standard.

Doh Rae Me
20-08-2018, 07:48 AM
100% agree.
If you want to protest when a Hibs player you don't like is coming on ir off the park just keep quiet.
Never understood booing your own team.

Pretty Boy
20-08-2018, 07:49 AM
The reactions to both Whittaker and Laidlaw at times yesterday were pretty embarrassing.

Whittaker was fine yesterday, nothing spectacular but done a job. Laidlaw is our 3rd choice keeper and people would do well to remember that, he rarely lets us down. Given some of the jokers we had as 1st choice in the not so distant past he's not a bad option to have in a situation that would see many clubs chucking in an untested youngster.

Davy Mac
20-08-2018, 07:55 AM
I wasn't at the game but it's very sad to hear.

Some of our support can be quite toxic at times at ER but in truth, most of them haven't played fitba before so what do they know?

We are a team, on and off the pitch.

Stewboy
20-08-2018, 07:56 AM
Rant over 💚

Morning Steven!

Smartie
20-08-2018, 08:03 AM
The worrying thing is that both Whittaker and Laidlaw look to be affected by it.

Whittaker is a good player, did much more good than bad yesterday, and played his part in winning us the game. His head looks a bit down though, he looks tentative and in 2 minds at times. He should be more comfortable with his skillset than he appears to be. I don't think he really knows how much time he is going to get in the middle of the park - he sometimes panics when he has more time, he sometimes dallies when he has none.

Laidlaw made some great saves and showed some very good footwork at times yesterday, but also seems a bit indecisive and timid.

The Leith Dutch
20-08-2018, 08:04 AM
I wasn't at the game but it's very sad to hear.

Some of our support can be quite toxic at times at ER but in truth, most of them haven't played fitba before so what do they know?

We are a team, on and off the pitch.

I think too much is made of whether folk have or haven't played before. Not having played before doesn't mean your opinion on a player is irrelevant and it certainly doesn't excuse yelling abuse at a player.

SirDavidsNapper
20-08-2018, 08:05 AM
I've never understood berating our own players. We're ment to be building their confidence not destroying it. Especially sad with a cup winning legend like Steven Whittaker.

Robbo6-2
20-08-2018, 08:26 AM
I don't think abuse was anywhere near as bad as what op making out.

Yes there were a few mumerings when he was giving the ball away but at this present time he is miles off the pace. The fact Martin started before him tells its own story.

Souter96Mac
20-08-2018, 08:29 AM
I thought Whittaker player well. Brought the ball down and tried to play football. Also got stuck in and won a couple tackles. Think he'll need to up his game with Milligan coming in

Allant1981
20-08-2018, 08:29 AM

Yes there were a few mumerings when he was giving the ball away but at this present time he is miles off the pace. The fact Martin started before him tells its own story.

doesnt really tell us much does it, the manager wanted to give some game time to a fringe player, shaw started before maclaren, does that tell its own story?

Keith_M
20-08-2018, 08:30 AM

Yeah, I'm confused about that as well. The only abuse I heard was directed at Clancy and the West Stand linesman.

SquashedFrogg
20-08-2018, 08:34 AM

What story does it tell? Here's the story it told me...

We played a different system first half which suited Martin and it was also an excellent chance to give him a desereved run out.

Switched at halftime which suited Whittaker. Pretty straight forward from what I saw.

Robbo6-2
20-08-2018, 08:41 AM
What story does it tell? Here's the story it told me...

We played a different system first half which suited Martin and it was also an excellent chance to give him a desereved run out.

Switched at halftime which suited Whittaker. Pretty straight forward from what I saw.

The story it tells me is, with Marv and the signing of Milligan that now puts Whitty 4th choice holding midfielder behind Martin.

Martin was having a decent game and went off injured not a tactical change.

I actually feel sorry for whittaker at the minute as he is obviously short on confidence. But where i was sitting in the east i didn't hear the level of abuse people are making out in fact the opposite, he got a good reception when he came on.

we are hibs
20-08-2018, 08:46 AM
He's clearly not good enough but I'm actually starting to feel sorry for him. Lennon persisting with him is a far bigger crime than his legs going

Famous Fiver
20-08-2018, 08:49 AM
Quite a few bed wetters round about me screeching at Whittaker yesterday at every opportunity.

The guy helped us win the League Cup in his first spell, always gives his all, is a class act and it is entirely obvious to me that many of his critics have obviously never played football in their puff.

Unless we are playing like Barcelona in their prime the whining starts and yesterday Laidlaw and Whittaker had to take the brunt of it.

We should be getting behind our players not shrieking at them.

In my opinion.

Diclonius
20-08-2018, 08:49 AM
I don't think he's good enough any more based on his performances over the last few months, but on the other hand he doesn't warrant abuse when coming on or little patience from fans for mistakes.

The criticism of Laidlaw is absolutely ridiculous and stems from one bad game ten months ago and the conditions under which we signed him. He's an excellent backup let alone third choice. Get over it.

cocteautwin
20-08-2018, 08:54 AM
This has to be one of the dumbest things you see in football - thick as mince football fans shouting abuse at their own players and then telling you "I pay my entrance fee" as an excuse to shout at them. If you support your team it should be 100% delusional love. Keep going Steven, don't listen to the idiots.

Hawick hibee
20-08-2018, 09:02 AM
Playing Martin before Whittaker you can look into it anyway you want I prefer to look as much needed game time for a development player.
Lennon said they took a calculated risk with the team as we have played a lot of games over the past weeks.
Whittaker can play in more positions than midfield and will continue to do so wherever asked to play for Hibs.
The booing is from days gone by we are better than that our players need backed and we have been great at that over the past few seasons so let's keep it that way.
Look at other threads and you sometimes see the players we used to have they would rather be on George Street than pulling on a jersey we would all love to do.
The lads here now get it!!! 💚🇳🇬💚

Rumble de Thump
20-08-2018, 09:17 AM
Whittaker had to play with an injury for a while last season and it seemed, at that point, some people decided he was past it, legs gone, rubbish etc while ignoring the fact he was injured. It doesn't matter how well he plays now or if he has a good game. Those people decided he's now useless and that's that.

PatHead
20-08-2018, 09:21 AM
Whittaker had to play with an injury for a while last season and it seemed, at that point, some people decided he was past it, legs gone, rubbish etc while ignoring the fact he was injured. It doesn't matter how well he plays now or if he has a good game. Those people decided he's now useless and that's that.

Thing is that these experts influence others around them. We had one behind us yesterday. By the end of the match his son was at it as well.

hibsquaker
20-08-2018, 09:24 AM
He's clearly not good enough but I'm actually starting to feel sorry for him. Lennon persisting with him is a far bigger crime than his legs going

This 100%. There is too much nostalgia regarding Whitaker on here. I don't condone booing which was very limited yesterday. I would say however he's not good enough now for Hibs in any position ... And Lennon has tried him in many unsuccessfully.

Spike Mandela
20-08-2018, 09:30 AM
Rant over 💚

Couldn’t agree more. Over the years I been frustrated with players, angry even, disappointed, cursed their name under my breath and yes, may over the years , have come on here and been critical of a player.. However I have never, never booed or jeered a Hibs player on or off the field. Just don’t get that, never will.

For that 90 minutes we are all one big team, good or bad.

lyonhibs
20-08-2018, 11:40 AM
It's one thing to have a bit of a rant at the whole team from the stands after the final whistle if it's been a ***** performance, quite another to boo an individual player during a game. That's the behaviour of a moron.

I think Whittaker's footballing brain is still there but he's not what he was physically and certainly shouldn't be played at right back ever again.

A back up DMC should be the extent of his role these days IMO.

MWHIBBIES
20-08-2018, 11:55 AM
2 good games in a row. Sadly an away game and a home game with a crap crowd so no one actually seen them and still thinks he's rubbish.

Sammy7nil
20-08-2018, 11:59 AM

I agree the abuse was not too bad just a few grumbles however I disagree he was off the pace. I thought we did just fine and was one of the better players in the second half when it appeared half the Hibs team went missing.

GoalsMcGinley
20-08-2018, 12:13 PM
Whitaker should 100% not be getting booed. However, he should also 100% be nowhere near our 1st team squad. He’s a player in rapid decline. Let’s not forget he is a FULL BACK. If he is not good enough to play full back he should not be playing. Period!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FifeHibs
20-08-2018, 12:21 PM
Whitaker should 100% not be getting booed. However, he should also 100% be nowhere near our 1st team squad. He’s a player in rapid decline. Let’s not forget he is a FULL BACK. If he is not good enough to play full back he should not be playing. Period!

He played midfield in the UEFA cup final. He also put in some great midfield performances in the run in last year. Home against Kilmarnock and away against Aberdeen.

theonlywayisup
20-08-2018, 12:30 PM

Clearly not good enough? What did he do wrong yesterday?

Centre Hawf
20-08-2018, 12:52 PM
Have to agree with some folk. I'm not a pro Whittaker person and I think our use of him has a bit more than I would like at this point, however I think to actively boo and jeer him at times is poor. He's a Hibs player and should be supported like the rest of them. And actually I thought yesterday he was okay, compared to some other games. Done a job.

JimBHibees
20-08-2018, 01:19 PM

Dear oh dear, he has had and will continue to have decent games whether that would be as a starter or a back up player who knows. To say he is clearly not good enough is a crock, his play before yesterdays winning goal was excellent.

WhileTheChief..
20-08-2018, 01:26 PM

Load of crap. Period.

mayo hibee
20-08-2018, 01:31 PM
I think half the problem is that people remember the Whittaker from his first spell at the club and see a player now who is very different to the one he was then. He doesn't have the pace to play full back the way he did 10 to 15 years ago, in fact I'm not even sure that's his best position any more. That's not to say that he isn't still a decent player at this level.

The issue I have with Whittaker is that, while he will provide decent squad cover in a number of positions this year, he is likely to be earning the wage of a key first team player. In that respect he is not particularly good value for money as you could probably find someone else to do the same job a lot more cheaply. That's not really his fault though, and the fact he's less than half way through a three year contract isn't his fault either.

we are hibs
20-08-2018, 01:36 PM
Dear oh dear, he has had and will continue to have decent games whether that would be as a starter or a back up player who knows. To say he is clearly not good enough is a crock, his play before yesterdays winning goal was excellent.

Clearly not good enough? What did he do wrong yesterday?

So because he doesn't make an arse of himself for a game that means he should be playing? I honestly cannot believe anyone who has watched him over the last year can say he is good enough to play at this level still. Slow and ponderous on the ball in midfield and people fly past him far too easily at right back so again, what does he actually do that's Good? Oh aye plays a few positions :rolleyes:

hibsquaker
20-08-2018, 02:08 PM
So because he doesn't make an arse of himself for a game that means he should be playing? I honestly cannot believe anyone who has watched him over the last year can say he is good enough to play at this level still. Slow and ponderous on the ball in midfield and people fly past him far too easily at right back so again, what does he actually do that's Good? Oh aye plays a few positions :rolleyes:

Spot on.

allmodcons
20-08-2018, 02:12 PM

Just like Martin Boyle, a championship player.

Not good enough for SPL.

JimBHibees
20-08-2018, 02:22 PM

He has clearly shown he can play at this level that isnt to say he hasnt had poor games. He is technically one of our best players, two footed and can play in a number of positions. Thought he was excellent in the Celtic win at the end of the season. No one is saying he should be a starter however he can clearly play at this level.

pacoluna
20-08-2018, 02:27 PM
I think half the problem is that people remember the Whittaker from his first spell at the club and see a player now who is very different to the one he was then. He doesn't have the pace to play full back the way he did 10 to 15 years ago, in fact I'm not even sure that's his best position any more. That's not to say that he isn't still a decent player at this level.

The issue I have with Whittaker is that, while he will provide decent squad cover in a number of positions this year, he is likely to be earning the wage of a key first team player. In that respect he is not particularly good value for money as you could probably find someone else to do the same job a lot more cheaply. That's not really his fault though, and the fact he's less than half way through a three year contract isn't his fault either.

Would that someone else have the same knowledge and experience of being a top pro in the game to pass on to other players.

jacomo
20-08-2018, 03:03 PM

You’re entitled to your opinion but booing him while playing for Hibs is just stupid. End of.

GoalsMcGinley
20-08-2018, 03:33 PM
Load of crap. Period.

Based on what exactly? His absolutely terrific performances so far this season?

RIP
20-08-2018, 03:48 PM
He just needs either the Since1875 Singing Section or the East Stand Singing Section (or both) to create a song for him. Otherwise he will end up like Dylan, finding out too late that he was appreciated by the majority of fans.

I always felt for Dylan having to listen to endless rounds of SJM when he was running the show in the middle of the park. Every player likes to feel their contribution is appreciated by supporters and if you are only getting negative feedback it starts to break down the bond between the players and the fans.

Anybody suggest a Steven Whittaker tune? :everythin

SquashedFrogg
20-08-2018, 03:53 PM
Based on what exactly? His absolutely terrific performances so far this season?

Maybe the part where you said he was a full back and if he can't play there he shouldn't be playing? :confused:

Or the fact you used the word 'period' which is quite weird?

we are hibs
20-08-2018, 04:28 PM
Thing is that these experts influence others around them. We had one behind us yesterday. By the end of the match his son was at it as well.

God forbid someone gives their opinion on a player eh :rolleyes: no one claims to be an expert.

PatHead
20-08-2018, 04:35 PM
God forbid someone gives their opinion on a player eh :rolleyes: no one claims to be an expert.

No problem with someone giving their opinion in a conversation with their pals. I have when it is shrieked at the top of their voice though.

Thecat23
20-08-2018, 04:50 PM

Nothing wrong with giving an opinion, screaming like a little bitch whenever a player makes a mistake gets right on my tits. Grown men as well, veins popping out their necks, absolute heart attack material.

GoalsMcGinley
20-08-2018, 04:58 PM
Maybe the part where you said he was a full back and if he can't play there he shouldn't be playing? :confused:

Or the fact you used the word 'period' which is quite weird?

He is a full back and if he’s not good enough to play there he shouldn’t be playing. Would you play a striker at full back if he was unable to play striker anymore? Don’t think you would.

bigwheel
20-08-2018, 05:09 PM
He is a full back and if he’s not good enough to play there he shouldn’t be playing. Would you play a striker at full back if he was unable to play striker anymore? Don’t think you would.

The days of a player only being able to play one position are gone...also Whittaker has never been a one position player - from a young age he has played many defensive (both sides), and midfield roles in his career ....

hibsbollah
20-08-2018, 05:11 PM
Load of crap. Period.

Is this a reference to the colour maroon? :dunno:

SideBurns
20-08-2018, 05:14 PM
We're all entitled to an opinion. What I don't understand is why Whittaker seems to be the latest fall guy for those who, for reasons best known to themselves, always need to have one. If his best days weren't behind him he wouldn't be back, but he always gives 100% and never hides; furthermore he was part of a great League Cup winning side. He deserves respect from every Hibs supporter.

Greenbeard
20-08-2018, 05:14 PM
I think too much is made of whether folk have or haven't played before. Not having played before doesn't mean your opinion on a player is irrelevant and it certainly doesn't excuse yelling abuse at a player.
Never played formally after primary school but that doesn't mean I can't pass judgement, even if it is not "expert" judgement.
Never laid an egg in my life but I'm a good judge of a decent omelette. :wink:

bigwheel
20-08-2018, 05:18 PM
We're all entitled to an opinion. What I don't understand is why Whittaker seems to be the latest fall guy for those who, for reasons best known to themselves, always need to have one. If his best days weren't behind him he wouldn't be back, but he always gives 100% and never hides; furthermore he was part of a great League Cup winning side. He deserves respect from every Hibs supporter.

Good post - Whittaker has had some poorer games - I’m sure he will admit that - yet, he did well on Sunday. Was excellent when he came on in Greece and has had a few other decent contributions this season. People seem to follow general views (great or poor- nothing in between) rather than the nuances of the game. There have been players who have struggled to perform and are largely left without comment. Whittaker is always available for the ball , whether he is on form or not..I’m expecting that he will make important contributions this season

brianmc
20-08-2018, 05:32 PM
I've never written, acted in, directed or produced a movie. But if I sit through one at the cinema, then tell my pals down the pub I thought it was Tom Kite, no one EVER turns around and says what do you know about movies, you've never been there and done it!?!?

Why some folk think you have to have been a professional football player before you're allowed to have a NEGATIVE opinion on a player/game really rips ma knitting!

The same folk that spout this clap trap don't seem to get the irony of them having positive opinions of players/managers etc - despite the fact these people haven't played the game either!

Having said that I'm against booing our own players during a game.

It's just the two faced nature of those lecturing from on high that really annoys me

*Perhaps this should be on the peeves thread.🤔

Hi Heid Yin
20-08-2018, 05:42 PM
Morning Steven!

:tee hee::tee hee:

Hi Heid Yin
20-08-2018, 05:46 PM
Couldn’t agree more. Over the years I been frustrated with players, angry even, disappointed, cursed their name under my breath and yes, may over the years , have come on here and been critical of a player.. However I have never, never booed or jeered a Hibs player on or off the field. Just don’t get that, never will.

You took the words right out of my mouth.
:agree::agree::agree:

Wee Effen Bee
20-08-2018, 06:03 PM
Whittaker got it in the neck BEFORE he even signed - check historic threads. Some people (not everyone) don’t want to lose face: if Whitty plays well they won’t admit it, they will look for a reason to slaughter him. This ‘confirmation bias’ is evident on the internet and at the actual game. Yes, Whittaker misplaced one pass and was immediately met with a chorus of derision. But, he already had his confidence knocked when he was called in at half time. There were a few snorts and ‘aw naws’ from some around us in the East as they realised he was coming on, Its simple really, criticise constructively but desist with the abuse.

SquashedFrogg
20-08-2018, 08:24 PM

Jesus, what a load of gash.

Captain Trips
20-08-2018, 08:32 PM
I didn't expect the SW that played here years ago however I did expect better than what I have seen in last 12 months.

He has been for me at best average.

Borderhibbie76
20-08-2018, 08:39 PM
Rant over [emoji172]Here here spot on...I echo every word

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

kaimendhibs
21-08-2018, 02:31 AM
Booing or berating our own players is so counter productive. I don't understand why people feel the need to do it. I noticed it loads at the County match, and asked the question, do these balloons do it all the the time but are drowned out when crowds are bigger?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Viva_Palmeiras
21-08-2018, 05:03 AM
I wonder if the folks that openly admit to giving “abuse” to players were right behind the supposed stance of Butcher and Malpas towards the players? And we all know how that ended up.

The question for me is where as a support do we draw the line ? Even when Yogi came out to ask the elements of the support to give Nish a break as he was confidence player and it impacted him - folks persisted.

And finally take a look at Super Joes talk at St Pats. His experience would have broken a few it was awful to hear some of his not so good buts. Thank god for his sense of humour!

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
21-08-2018, 05:24 AM
I noticed on highlights that it was a smart bit of play (trademark close control) that helped set up one of the goals.

Also, that absolute peach of a mcginnesque diagonal drilled in behind the full back to Boyle.

Whittaker is a good, solid and versatile squad player. Why he has become the latest victim of the know-nothing blow hards who seem to have to have someone to moan at is beyond me.

Hawick hibee
21-08-2018, 05:32 AM
My original post was highlighting the fact that it's been a joy to come and watch this team over the last few seasons especially.
Full houses signing and a togetherness that was missing for a long time.
I always support whoever pulls on the jersey and will continue to do so whether I think he should be in the team or not.
We all have opinions and you don't need to have played the game to voice them but FFS be positive about it and whilst they are on the pitch, back the team.
You certainly don't get he is just a full back in modern day football, if you know football and at the very least you should if you want to shout about it, players need to play various positions and styles offensive, defensive phases. Gone are the old 4-4-2 days so aye a player like Whittaker is used in midfield not just as a full back. Boyle moves from winger to wing back at times for example!!!
Comments about Lennon playing him is more worrying, infact unbelievable. I think we should be enjoying having Lennon here whilst he is, very lucky to have a manager of his stature here, again note Neil hooked Whittaker at half time so I think he knows what he is doing.
Players have bad days or spells they don't mean it, we all have bad days.
Back the team this Hibernian is something to be proud of from players to fans!!!!
🇳🇬💚

Brooster
21-08-2018, 05:56 AM
There's no doubt that SW played very well when he came on against Ross County. Most of the people having a pop on this thread probably weren't even there to see it.

Col2
21-08-2018, 06:18 AM
SW is a higlly experienced capable internationalist who has been unlucky with injury and match sharpness and has had a dip in form last season.

This season he came on late in Greece and now 2nd half on Sunday and played well.

We as fans need to be a little more tolerant. He came back to us not for the money but wanted to come back home.

we are hibs
21-08-2018, 06:59 AM
There's no doubt that SW played very well when he came on against Ross County. Most of the people having a pop on this thread probably weren't even there to see it.

Wow what a supporter you Are. I bet everyone wishes they were as great a hibs fan as you. You realise some people work weekends aye? Or that some hibs fans may have forked out a fortune on season tickets and 3 midweek tickets in the last month. This "I'm a better hibs fan than you" theme that seems to be taking centre stage at the minute is worse than people being critical.

hibsquaker
21-08-2018, 07:05 AM
I have no emotional baggage regarding SW like a lot of folk on this thread. He is not good enough to play for Hibs now. Too slow physically and mentally. If this was not an ex Hibs player who was great in the past then people would be less forgiving for sure. I'm interested in the Hibs team of today and from what I have seen he is nowhere near good enough.

Hawick hibee
21-08-2018, 07:17 AM
I have no emotional baggage regarding SW like a lot of folk on this thread. He is not good enough to play for Hibs now. Too slow physically and mentally. If this was not an ex Hibs player who was great in the past then people would be less forgiving for sure. I'm interested in the Hibs team of today and from what I have seen he is nowhere near good enough.
Well in this Hibs team of today he is very much a part of it!!! As I have posted if they are on the pitch support them we are Hibs supporters after all!!
Booing a play (not saying you do) no matter what player it is does not and never will do them any good. Encourage, cheer sing their names they will be be encouraged and lifted by this.
Aye in the past Whittaker was better but he still has a part to play on and off the pitch. Now we have a player that the people around HTC may learn from, on how to be a good professional and not end up on the George street VIP list....

oneone73
21-08-2018, 07:19 AM

Too slow mentally? Jeez, I've heard it all now. Sheer slavers.

Allant1981
21-08-2018, 07:21 AM
Wow what a supporter you Are. I bet everyone wishes they were as great a hibs fan as you. You realise some people work weekends aye? Or that some hibs fans may have forked out a fortune on season tickets and 3 midweek tickets in the last month. This "I'm a better hibs fan than you" theme that seems to be taking centre stage at the minute is worse than people being critical.

he makes a point though, if people werent there but are still having a pop at SW for previous games make their point invalid

J-C
21-08-2018, 07:26 AM

Same here, never boo no point and doesn't help the team, moan and groan under my breathe sometimes yes.

PatHead
21-08-2018, 07:30 AM

Don’t think he is claiming to be a better supporter than anyone else. He is merely wondering if the critics were there to back up their criticism.

I thought SW played well on Sunday. Not an unreasonable statement from brooster and certainly not an uber fan statement.

JimBHibees
21-08-2018, 08:35 AM

He makes a perfectly valid point if he has played well and that isnt taken into account if his critics werent there.

blackpoolhibs
21-08-2018, 08:38 AM

He's a better fan than anyone who gave Whittaker stick on Sunday, why would anyone want to help the opposition by getting on our own players backs? :confused:

The Green Goblin
21-08-2018, 08:51 AM
He just needs either the Since1875 Singing Section or the East Stand Singing Section (or both) to create a song for him. Otherwise he will end up like Dylan, finding out too late that he was appreciated by the majority of fans.

I always felt for Dylan having to listen to endless rounds of SJM when he was running the show in the middle of the park. Every player likes to feel their contribution is appreciated by supporters and if you are only getting negative feedback it starts to break down the bond between the players and the fans.

Anybody suggest a Steven Whittaker tune? :everythin

Maybe they could name one of the Scottish snow ploughs “Steven Grittaker”?

Squealing pig
21-08-2018, 08:54 AM
I like Whittaker

Captain Trips
21-08-2018, 08:55 AM
Don’t think he is claiming to be a better supporter than anyone else. He is merely wondering if the critics were there to back up their criticism.

I thought SW played well on Sunday. Not an unreasonable statement from brooster and certainly not an uber fan statement.

Why would the fact he played well V Ross County change anyone's opinion up to that point that he hasn't been as good as he/she had hoped? SW has had other good games as well. As a whole regardless of the Ross County game IMO he has still been average at best. Him doing well on Sunday doesn't change my opinion on the previous 12 months. It will change if the performance on Sunday becomes the norm.

JimBHibees
21-08-2018, 09:04 AM

OK so he would getting even less leeway if he hadnt played for Hibs before, that is good to hear. :rolleyes:

He is more than capable of playing in this team whether people think he wouldnt be a regular is fair enough though to say he isnt good enough is nonsense.

hibsquaker
21-08-2018, 09:48 AM
OK so he would getting even less leeway if he hadnt played for Hibs before, that is good to hear. :rolleyes:

He is more than capable of playing in this team whether people think he wouldnt be a regular is fair enough though to say he isnt good enough is nonsense.

He's pony and only a blind man would say otherwise.

Booing on the other hand is not acceptable.

Greenbeard
21-08-2018, 09:56 AM
It is fair to say that the jury is still out on the extent to which SW can contribute to Hibs on the park over the remaining two seasons, justifiably so because of his well reported injury issues last season when he was called upon be a soldier and to play despite not being 100%. Give the boy a chance I say to show what he can do when not carrying an injury and trust in NL who is seeing a hell of a lot more of him than every single one of us to assess what he can still contribute to the team.

Then, as others have suggested, there is the benefit of what he can bring to Hibs off the park in terms of being a model professional. Maybe some more vociferous praise and respectful applause from the stands is needed to counter the elements who are so quick to get on his back.

Brooster
21-08-2018, 09:56 AM

Calm down to a panic please.

Elephant Stone
21-08-2018, 09:59 AM

Just out of interest, what are some of the reasons why you've concluded he's too slow mentally?

Hermit Crab
21-08-2018, 10:24 AM
He played midfield in the UEFA cup final. He also put in some great midfield performances in the run in last year. Home against Kilmarnock and away against Aberdeen.

10 years ago and was right midfield. He was 23 at the time.

hibsquaker
21-08-2018, 10:24 AM
Just out of interest, what are some of the reasons why you've concluded he's too slow mentally?

In central midfield you can see he is not comfortable. Can be ponderous and you can see his decision making is slow. He is easily caught out when pressed. Probably a combination of his slowing body, lack of confidence and that he's not played regularly in that role. I really hope we have better options in that position when we play Hearts. Saying that, Aberdeen on Sunday is a worry.

JimBHibees
21-08-2018, 10:30 AM
He's pony and only a blind man would say otherwise.

Booing on the other hand is not acceptable.

He's pony, good point. :rolleyes:

hibsquaker
21-08-2018, 10:34 AM
He's pony, good point. :rolleyes:

Aye but he played in a cup final when he was wee, but but he used to play for Hibs you know and was like a legend once like. Let's bring back Riordan, O'Connor. They were great once. He's not good enough now and deep down we all know it.

Smartie
21-08-2018, 10:37 AM
He's played well in some games, he's struggled in some others, but he's done well in a lot more than the ones in which he has toiled.

The trick with Whittaker will be spotting when he's likely to play well and when he's likely to struggle.

He shouldn't play against quick, physical sides like Hearts and Aberdeen.

Whittaker has had many ok and good games. At home, needing to break down teams who are sitting deep and with fast players around him he can be a big asset still.

JimBHibees
21-08-2018, 10:42 AM
Aye but he played in a cup final when he was wee, but but he used to play for Hibs you know and was like a legend once like. Let's bring back Riordan, O'Connor. They were great once. He's not good enough now and deep down we all know it.

Nothing to do with being a former player he is still good enough to contribute to the squad and the team as shown by some not all of his performances last season including being excellent when we beat the champions at ER. He hasnt started the season well however seems like he is picking up some form yet some seem to want to ignore that and write him off for some bizarre reason. Technically he is still one of the most talented in the team as shown by his volley against Kilmarnock last season very few of the current squad would have scored that, two footed with good range of passing, it does seem like he is slowing up a bit probably due to injury however it appears he is a very good professional and to me is still able to contribute to the team and squad.

Thecat23
21-08-2018, 10:45 AM

Wow, you’ve just gone full rage for absolutely nothing 😂 He never said he’s a better fan, also I can’t see anyone who has said it. So this “ centre stage” stuff is rubbish.

JimBHibees
21-08-2018, 10:48 AM
He's played well in some games, he's struggled in some others, but he's done well in a lot more than the ones in which he has toiled.

The trick with Whittaker will be spotting when he's likely to play well and when he's likely to struggle.

Whittaker has had many ok and good games. At home, needing to break down teams who are sitting deep and with fast players around him he can be a big asset still.

Agree with that. Technically a strong player athletically would need to pick and choose when he can best contribute. He was hugely exposed when playing against Sinclair and an overlapping Tierney in the 2-2 game at home though in saying that most if not all players in the league would struggle against them.

The_Horde
21-08-2018, 10:48 AM

One of his best games last season was against Aberdeen.

Smartie
21-08-2018, 11:23 AM
One of his best games last season was against Aberdeen.

That was the general consensus but I thought he was poor in that game. Far too often caught on possession and I thought too much emphasis was placed on him playing a couple of tidy long balls when his all-round game was indecisive and slack (because Aberdeen put him under pressure).

Other than giving the ball away once or twice, I can't really see what he's done to merit the criticism he's had over the past few weeks.

I think I see different stuff with Whittaker to most folk (not saying that I am right).

He seems to have adopted the Lewis Stevenson "splits opinion" role now that we're all finally agreed that Lewis is ace.

Phil MaGlass
21-08-2018, 01:34 PM
That was the general consensus but I thought he was poor in that game. Far too often caught on possession and I thought too much emphasis was placed on him playing a couple of tidy long balls when his all-round game was indecisive and slack (because Aberdeen put him under pressure).

Other than giving the ball away once or twice, I can't really see what he's done to merit the criticism he's had over the past few weeks.

I think I see different stuff with Whittaker to most folk (not saying that I am right).

He seems to have adopted the Lewis Stevenson "splits opinion" role now that we're all finally agreed that Lewis is ace.

I agree, I will comment on any player that´s not playing well, that includes Whittaker but , I think he is just being used as a scapegoat for some, until they realise that Efe´s also an easy target and move on to him.
Some of the criticism and abuse he receives from so called Hibs fans in the stands is absolutely criminal. get behind the team and they will produce the goods alot more.

Positivity breeds positivity. Christ I´d rather be watchin oor brand ay fitba than hertz brand ay fitba anyday. Its been a long time since we have enjoyed oor fitba for so long.

we are hibs
21-08-2018, 05:13 PM
Wow, you’ve just gone full rage for absolutely nothing 😂 He never said he’s a better fan, also I can’t see anyone who has said it. So this “ centre stage” stuff is rubbish.

It's not though is it. It's a constant on here just now. Criticise anything to do with the club and your not a true supporter according to some. I don't agree with giving players abuse at games but criticism and especially on a forum where opinions are (supposed) to be shared is fair game. The bed wetting stuff is worse than people giving an honest opinion.

Viva_Palmeiras
21-08-2018, 08:26 PM

Mibbie chap on Lennons door and let him know - you may have a squad of folks joining you.

allezsauzee
21-08-2018, 08:48 PM

A lot of people were wrong for a long time on that one! of course if Lewis has a bad game this season I'm sure those people will be desperate to tell us he's just no good enough again

B.H.F.C
21-08-2018, 08:53 PM
A lot of people were wrong for a long time on that one! of course if Lewis has a bad game this season I'm sure those people will be desperate to tell us he's just no good enough again

Disagree on that one. I used to be critical of Lewis and still think the criticism was merited at the time. In the last couple of years he’s taken his game up a level IMO and that’s why he’s very rarely criticised these days.

allmodcons
21-08-2018, 09:20 PM
Embarrassing post. Since when did you know what everyone else is thinking?

Stuart93
21-08-2018, 09:35 PM

Lol are u ok?

whiskas
21-08-2018, 09:50 PM
Agree with that. Technically a strong player athletically would need to pick and choose when he can best contribute. He was hugely exposed when playing against Sinclair and an overlapping Tierney in the 2-2 game at home though in saying that most if not all players in the league would struggle against them.

That's ow I feel about Whittaker too. He's an excellent technical player with 2 good feet but he's lost his legs a bit(hence the move to midfield I reckon) and he's not the strongest physically or the best tackler. He's also been trying a lot of world cup passes which look great when they come off but when they don't...

I still think he has a lot to offer in a Hibs jersey

Viva_Palmeiras
21-08-2018, 10:53 PM
How do you execute “World Cup passes” if you 1) don’t try them and 2) don’t try them in game situations running the risk they won’t always come off?

Maybe we sell ourselves short in this country.

Sammy7nil
25-08-2018, 05:05 PM
Can we put this to bed for a few weeks Stephen proved today he is very capable of doing a job and that was against the second best team in Scotland.

Allant1981
25-08-2018, 05:06 PM
yip had a decent game today

MWHIBBIES
25-08-2018, 05:07 PM
3rd good game in a row

Ozyhibby
25-08-2018, 05:09 PM
And his absolutely terrible pass helped set up the goal. [emoji23]
Joking aside, there was no calamity today but we still need better in that position.

Diclonius
25-08-2018, 05:12 PM
Played very well.

green day
25-08-2018, 05:17 PM
He had a good match today, did his job properly and put a fair few decent passes when needed.

Made an erse of one shot in front of goal, but wasnt the only one.

Anyone that cant see that he played ok today either wasnt there or is just too blinkered.

overdrive
25-08-2018, 05:19 PM
He played well today.

CMac1988
Done exactly what was asked of him today. Good game.

Thecat23
Thought he played well today. I don’t rate him now, but I’m happy to give gredit where it’s due.

Booked4Being-Ugly
Was excellent today.

Hi Heid Yin
25-08-2018, 05:22 PM
I agree that he had a decent game, and I'm far from his biggest fan.

superfurryhibby
25-08-2018, 05:29 PM
He played well today, no question about it. A comfortable performance from him, a decent guy to have around the squad.

Borderhibbie76
25-08-2018, 05:31 PM
Can we put this to bed for a few weeks Stephen proved today he is very capable of doing a job and that was against the second best team in Scotland.Glad someone posted this ...thought he was one of our best players today after Horgan and Porteous and Lewy - who had GMS in his back pocket

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

bigwheel
25-08-2018, 05:37 PM
Glad people are posting too...hopefully put to bed these "doesn't contribute anything" views.....did well today....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Viva_Palmeiras
25-08-2018, 05:38 PM
In relation to the team composition The only opinion that matters is Lennon's. If Whitty’s legs have gone or he wasnt rated wouldn’t be in the team no?

Squealing pig
25-08-2018, 05:40 PM
Thought he looked very good

Danderhall Hibs
25-08-2018, 05:41 PM
In relation to the team composition The only opinion that matters is Lennon's. If Whitty’s legs have gone or he wasnt rated wouldn’t be in the team no?

And NL picked him out especially for praise in his post match interview.

hibIBZ
25-08-2018, 05:47 PM
Thought he did very well today, as I posted on the match thread, there was a spell in the 2nd half when he was the only person in midfield showing for the ball when efe or Hanlon was looking for a pass. Solid display and hope he can keep it going

Ozyhibby
25-08-2018, 05:49 PM
I take it back, he shares responsibility with Ambrose and Bogdan for the goal. Horrible from all three. Just watched on Alba.

Lancs Harp
25-08-2018, 05:51 PM
I take it back, he shares responsibility with Ambrose and Bogdan for the goal. Horrible from all three. Just watched on Alba.

From our point of view it was a really crap goal to concede. Neil didnt exactly look impressed.

Viva_Palmeiras
25-08-2018, 05:52 PM
I’m no expert but is it not the case with age that players will take longer to get up to speed/match fitness but that the key to unlocking it is to play through ? Whittys experience may offset any rustiness. ESP without MacGregor - who’s giving the defence a rollicking when needed?

Lancs Harp
25-08-2018, 05:56 PM
Its simply not a 1 to 11 game anymore. Whitty is past his best for sure, but has an important role to play in our squad. He wont play week in week out but can still have a positive contribution. Back the lad.

wookie70
25-08-2018, 05:57 PM
Played well and perhaps he is the same as MacLaren and needs some games. It looked to me that sharpness was his biggest issue and that seems to be coming back.

hibsquaker
25-08-2018, 06:16 PM
I'm a critic and I thought he did well today.

cleanyman
25-08-2018, 06:37 PM
Well played Steven.

Its times like today where you need your big players to show some bollocks and look for the ball. He never hid once today and at times was the only option in midfield. Mallan for instance hid for 20 minutes and that for me is a concern.

Lancs Harp
25-08-2018, 06:42 PM
Well played Steven.

Its times like today where you need your big players to show some bollocks and look for the ball. He never hid once today and at times was the only option in midfield. Mallan for instance hid for 20 minutes and that for me is a concern.

Don't think I would accuse any of these boys of hiding. Might have an off day or a quiet spell in a match or be out of form but none of these lads hide IMO. You'd never get away with that in any Neil Lennon team.

we are hibs
25-08-2018, 06:44 PM
Well played Steven.

Did he aye?

Thought Whittaker did okay today. I think it was an okay performance from a hibs team overall who were missing a few regulars. Horgan looks a real bright spark in the middle. Really hard worker too. Thought Boyle apart from a couple of runs was pretty anonymous and still massive concerns over our defence especially from set pieces. We were better in the first half compared to the second. Thought we were needlessly direct at times. Shaw was never going to win some of the balls to him and we were basically giving them possession back at times. The next 5 we need to really be winning at least 4 of and hopefully we get a couple more in before the window shuts

itslegaltender
25-08-2018, 06:45 PM
Thought Whittaker was solid today. He also started the move for the goal. Praise where praise is due.

Inconsequential
25-08-2018, 06:50 PM
And his absolutely terrible pass helped set up the goal. [emoji23]
Joking aside, there was no calamity today but we still need better in that position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Maybe we have better. Milligan to fill the role Whittaker played today? Very few options for today's match with Bartley and the young lad Martin also out.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
25-08-2018, 07:26 PM
Well played Steven.

Hiding?

Not a chance. Have you ever thought that maybe Aberdeen might have defended well? You know, the second best team in Scotland for the last four years?

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
25-08-2018, 07:27 PM
[/B]
Don't think I would accuse any of these boys of hiding. Might have an off day or a quiet spell in a match or be out of form but none of these lads hide IMO. You'd never get away with that in any Neil Lennon team.

Totally agree.

Smartie
25-08-2018, 08:36 PM
Whittaker played very well.

I though the decision to play with Horgan in CM was inspired though - it really gave us the mobility in the middle of the park that we've been lacking and helped Whittaker and Mallan no end.

J-C
25-08-2018, 09:04 PM
Thought he played well today. I don’t rate him now, but I’m happy to give gredit where it’s due.

This for me too, not a fan in general as I think he's past it but he was decent today and did what was asked of him.

Pretty Boy
25-08-2018, 09:11 PM
Whittaker was very good today. His pass in the lead up to the goal, which was greeted by a few groans for some reason, was excellent.