PDA

View Full Version : 56 years of League Cup Misery For The Jambos

Hi Heid Yin
20-08-2018, 12:47 AM
I'm a 60 year old Hibby and was only 4 years old in 1962 when our Maroon chums last lifted League Cup silverware.

Will this be the year that they finally break their hoodoo?

Will this be the year that Levein finally gets his hands on his very first piece of silverware?

The excitement is building in Gorgie and Tinycastle among their long-suffering supporters - including 2 generations of younger Jambos who have grown up and gone through their entire lives having never tasted League Cup victory.
The older ones (an ever-dimishing bunch) will have painfully witnessed 56 consecutive years (over half a century) of seeing their team "Jambottle-It".

Will this be the year that this embarrassing sequence ends?

Watch this space.

monktonharp
20-08-2018, 01:09 AM
you forgot to mention that those youngsters have been brought up with the fact that it is just a diddy cup. they don't really want to win it.

Tornadoes70
20-08-2018, 01:40 AM
That dug stuff should have been launched from the competition regarding the illegible player debacle. If they do lift it they'll have prospered by cheating (again).

No reason why we can't lift it instead by way of honest graft and honorable means.

:flag:

Hi Heid Yin
20-08-2018, 01:54 AM
you forgot to mention that those youngsters have been brought up with the fact that it is just a diddy cup. they don't really want to win it.

They like to call it the "Diddy Cup" in order to deal with over half a century of "Jambottling-It".
It's a classic example of "reverse psychology" - a "coping strategy" for endless disappointment.
The more sensible of them know that there are only 3 major domestic trophies to be won. The League Title, The Scottish Cup and The Scottish League Cup (in all it's guises)
The financial disparity in Scottish football, however, leaves The Scottish Cup and The Scottish League Cup as the only 2 trophies any team outwith Celtic/The Rangers can "realistically" hope to win. This makes winning either absolutely vital to not only generate money, but to give supporters "hope".
The Jambos have been hoping and praying for 56 years re The League Cup - all to no avail.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-08-2018, 02:25 AM
I'm a 60 year old Hibby and was only 4 years old in 1962 when our Maroon chums last lifted League Cup silverware.

Will this be the year that they finally break their hoodoo?

Will this be the year that Levein finally gets his hands on his very first piece of silverware?

The excitement is building in Gorgie and Tinycastle among their long-suffering supporters - including 2 generations of younger Jambos who have grown up and gone through their entire lives having never tasted League Cup victory.
The older ones (an ever-dimishing bunch) will have painfully witnessed 56 consecutive years (over half a century) of seeing their team "Jambottle-It".

Will this be the year that this embarrassing sequence ends?

Watch this space.

Each to their own - who know mibbie I’m in the minority of a handful - but I’d rather not morph into them and their obsession with suchlike.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
20-08-2018, 05:19 AM
Each to their own - who know mibbie I’m in the minority of a handful - but I’d rather not morph into them and their obsession with suchlike.

Well said.

This is cringe.

SirDavidsNapper
20-08-2018, 05:26 AM
If they won it this year after fielding an ineligible player it would be very Hearts.

AltheHibby
20-08-2018, 07:25 AM

Personally, being the sensible one in a family of yaks, I say long may they not win it. 😁

Famous Fiver
20-08-2018, 07:36 AM
Are they actually salivating over their prospects in this tournament after decades of belittling it and calling it the diddy cup because of our relative success in it?

They really are a queer lot.

Keith_M
20-08-2018, 08:08 AM
Are they actually salivating over their prospects in this tournament after decades of belittling it and calling it the diddy cup because of our relative success in it?

They really are a queer lot.

Homophobe!

Stevie Reid
20-08-2018, 08:27 AM
I thought it was pathetic chat when they did it with us and the Scottish, not gonna think any differently of it from this side of the fence.

mutley
20-08-2018, 08:36 AM
I have mixed feelings about an Edinburgh Derby at Hampden for the Semi / Final : a win and knocking them out/ lifting the cup would be glorious, but a loss would be unbearable.

One Day Soon
20-08-2018, 10:31 AM
I have mixed feelings about an Edinburgh Derby at Hampden for the Semi / Final : a win and knocking them out/ lifting the cup would be glorious, but a loss would be unbearable.

Mate, I've seen Hibs win the Scottish Cup. Everything is now bearable.

Frazerbob
20-08-2018, 10:54 AM
I thought it was pathetic chat when they did it with us and the Scottish, not gonna think any differently of it from this side of the fence.

I disagree. The banter before they won the Scottish Cup in 98 was quality. It's what sporting rivalry is all about and made 21.05.16 all the sweeter.

"Your cupboards are bare, there's no silverwhere, for 36 years in a row"

Stevie Reid
20-08-2018, 10:59 AM
I disagree. The banter before they won the Scottish Cup in 98 was quality. It's what sporting rivalry is all about and made 21.05.16 all the sweeter.

"Your cupboards are bare, there's no silverwhere, for 36 years in a row"

Fair enough, but they hadn't actually won a single thing in those 36 years - they had a pretty significant recent success at our expense.

It was pretty pathetic when they'd push the SC nonsense for the years after we won the LC in 2007. Did they really think that that would get to us after seeing our team win a national cup final 5-1 in front of 30,000+ of our own support at Hampden?

I suspect they'll be immune to such digs about the LC.

Chic Murray
20-08-2018, 12:03 PM
This is the sort of thread that a manager would pin up on the dressing room door. Fortunately for us, Hearts don't have a dressing room - although the door has been ordered.

Lancs Harp
20-08-2018, 12:53 PM
This is the sort of thread that a manager would pin up on the dressing room door. Fortunately for us, Hearts don't have a dressing room - although the door has been ordered.

:greengrin:greengrin

GreenArmyyy!
20-08-2018, 12:56 PM

I’d rather not to be honest.... the nerves in the weeks running up to it are horrible.

Lancs Harp
20-08-2018, 01:05 PM
I’d rather not to be honest.... the nerves in the weeks running up to it are horrible.

Come on fellas where's your bottle and belief.

Bring it on :wink:

:flag:

Pretty Boy
20-08-2018, 02:40 PM
I love a bit banter about winless/trophyless streaks and the like. Of course it doesn't always make sense and has far less effect than we might hope but so what? Football rivalry is all a bit daft really when you really think about it.

I'm sure jibes about 42 years or 7-0 never really bothered Hearts fans as much as I thought, just like them holding up 2 hands in a 5-1 gesture or Rudi Skacel parading about in a number 51 shirt really doesn't upset me. The thing about our SC record was that it was a bit of a bizarre anomaly, it's not unrealistic to think we should have won it once or twice in 114 years. No one slags Cowdenbeath for their cup record because no one expects them to have won it. Equally it's not unrealistic to have expected Hearts to have won the LC in the last 56 years, that coupled with their dismissal of it as 'diddy' makes their failure to win it quite amusing.

I daresay standing at Tynecastle watching a pretty dull 0-0 being played out wouldn't have been half as fun if we hadn't been for us singing the Runaround Sue song non stop for most of the 2nd half. That worked because of the slagging we had taken from them over the years particularly since 1998. The day petty mocking of rivals ceases to be part of the game will be the day I give up on football.

nonshinyfinish
20-08-2018, 02:47 PM

Absolutely. I enjoy seeing them lose, of course, but I’d rather not emulate their admittedly Swiftian wit in (mostly) accurately tallying the passage of years.

I really doubt it bothers any of them either. Better to concentrate on what certainly does bother them: us playing in Europe regularly and pumping them as often as possible.

Bostonhibby
20-08-2018, 02:52 PM
This is the sort of thread that a manager would pin up on the dressing room door. Fortunately for us, Hearts don't have a dressing room - although the door has been ordered.[emoji23][emoji23]

Not just any door though. It's a unique atmospheric door, so if they've definitely ordered it it's never going to fit. It'll be the only dressing room door of it's kind.

Maybe they'll be able to use it on the overdue nursery project? Might make a slide or a shelf.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Chic Murray
20-08-2018, 03:57 PM
[emoji23][emoji23]

Not just any door though. It's a unique atmospheric door, so if they've definitely ordered it it's never going to fit. It'll be the only dressing room door of it's kind.

Maybe they'll be able to use it on the overdue nursery project? Might make a slide or a shelf.

Door for sale - stadium attached.

Bostonhibby
20-08-2018, 04:02 PM
Door for sale - stadium attached.I'm interested in the door but the ongoing maintenance and dilapidation costs for the stadium mean that, as I am not a septuagenarian millionairess with a guaranteed return on investment at 6.5% secured against an appreciating asset I own and others pay to improve, I'm out ☺

telford hibbee
20-08-2018, 05:10 PM
:wink:
Mate, I've seen Hibs win the Scottish Cup. Everything is now bearable.

Dashing Bob S
20-08-2018, 05:22 PM
Our cup win in 2016 was romantic and glorious enough on its own but it was massively enhanced by the Jambos obsession with it. I don’t intend to return the compliment and thus scorn rather than gloat at, their poor League Cup record.

Hi Heid Yin
20-08-2018, 05:26 PM
For those that cringe at such threads as the one I started: never forget the constant, and I mean constant, referral to 1902 that we Hibbies endured/suffered for most of our lives...and I'm 60, so that's 58 years of jibes/banter..call it what you will.
Our pitiful Scottish Cup record was a psychological burden and, yes, an embarrassment for both supporters and club. They revelled in our pain, so, now that we've got that monkey off our collective backs, it's our turn to turn the screw on them!
The day we can't take the Micky out of our Maroon chums is the day I will walk away from supporting Hibs.....and that's not going to happen!!

If this thread makes you cringe then please feel free to ignore it!

Famous Fiver
20-08-2018, 06:39 PM
This Tynecastle door being talked about.

When is the official opening?

Chic Murray
20-08-2018, 06:43 PM

It depends on your perception.

Kato
20-08-2018, 06:48 PM
It depends on your perception.

They break on through to other side then hide it with a sheet of gyproc, 8m single skin.

Jack Hackett
20-08-2018, 06:48 PM

As soon as they finish it... try not to hold your breath

Famous Fiver
20-08-2018, 07:41 PM
Might have to wait a while right enough if the official opening of their new building masquerading as a stand is anything to go by.

Any of the Jambo lurkers on here care to enlighten us?

NAE NOOKIE
21-08-2018, 01:59 AM

Its not a door … Its an exit / entry facilitation system affording players and staff unparalleled transition between the magnificent new pitch and the state of the art changing facility … with the added and unique innovation that Mr 640 can be addressing the playing staff even before the crowd has exited the stadium through the unique to Heart of Midlothian vomitoriums. :greengrin

Actually … coz Hertz have two tunnels is there a sign above one that's proudly says 'This is Tynecastle Park' and a sign above the other one that says 'So is this' :faf:

BILLYHIBS
21-08-2018, 01:09 PM
Ach! It’s only the wee cup! Well that’s what my jambo mates said to me in 1972, 1991, and 2007 even although you had to beat the same teams to win both! :confused:

Leithenhibby
21-08-2018, 01:16 PM

"Your cupboards are bare, there's no silverware, for 36 years in a row"

:agree:

Always brought a smile to my face when in full flow in the East.... :greengrin

mutley
21-08-2018, 02:35 PM
Careful folks, I see over the road are already planning an Edinburgh Derby Semi-final at Murrayfield!!!:confused:

Eyrie
21-08-2018, 07:40 PM
Careful folks, I see over the road are already planning an Edinburgh Derby Semi-final at Murrayfield!!!:confused:

Very helpful of them. However they need geography lessons as Motherwell isn't in Edinburgh.

cabbageandribs1875
22-08-2018, 05:02 AM

i predicted this on here just after the draw, my crystal ball told me this would happen, i don't frequent that cesspit therefore the idea was stolen from me :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
22-08-2018, 05:18 AM
i predicted this on here just after the draw, my crystal ball told me this would happen, i don't frequent that cesspit therefore the idea was stolen from me :greengrin
Never been back since 1990 for some strange reason! :confused:

Nutmegged
22-08-2018, 07:26 AM

It's total risk or reward.

With Neil Lennon in charge I'd fancy Hibs to win any one off game at Hampden against any team in Scotland.

Hi Heid Yin
22-08-2018, 05:58 PM

With Neil Lennon in charge I'd fancy Hibs to win any one off game at Hampden against any team in Scotland.

In particular the team who have lost the heart of their defence (Berra) and the spearhead of their attack (Lafferty)

lord bunberry
22-08-2018, 06:13 PM
Ach! It’s only the wee cup! Well that’s what my jambo mates said to me in 1972, 1991, and 2007 even although you had to beat the same teams to win both! :confused:
That’s what they’re still saying now. My mate was saying he hoped they got chucked out the league cup when they cheated against highland league giants Cove Rangers. It’s a defence mechanism because they can’t win it.
They asked for more tickets for the Dunfermline game to highlight how much they don’t care :wink:

Kato
22-08-2018, 06:41 PM
That’s what they’re still saying now. My mate was saying he hoped they got chucked out the league cup when they cheated against highland league giants Cove Rangers. It’s a defence mechanism because they can’t win it.
They asked for more tickets for the Dunfermline game to highlight how much they don’t care :wink:

Lets face it, none of the trophies up for grabs are big enough for Hearts since their glorious exit from administration, they should just stop playing football altogether. Some say they have.

lord bunberry
22-08-2018, 07:08 PM
Lets face it, none of the trophies up for grabs are big enough for Hearts since their glorious exit from administration, they should just stop playing football altogether. Some say they have.
I put it to you sir that they’ve never started. :greengrin

Kato
22-08-2018, 07:18 PM
I put it to you sir that they’ve never started. :greengrin

Without being bias Hearts have had a few good lineups in my lifetime. The current manager however has adopted, wholesale, Alex McDonald's vision of the game. Ball in the air, kick everything that moves, go to ground whenever you want and press straight through your man. Ugly as.

O'Rourke3
22-08-2018, 07:22 PM
Without being bias Hearts have had a few good lineups in my lifetime. The current manager however has adopted, wholesale, Alex McDonald's vision of the game. Ball in the air, kick everything that moves, go to ground whenever you want and press straight through your man. Ugly as.

How else will Leveinho emulate the double Winning Team of 86?

Kato
22-08-2018, 07:34 PM
How else will Leveinho emulate the double Winning Team of 86?

My guess? By doing a marshals chunky chicken ad.

O'Rourke3
22-08-2018, 07:36 PM
My guess? By doing a marshals chunky chicken ad.

:faf: Funny on many levels :thumbsup:

Zazu62
22-08-2018, 07:37 PM

Lennon hasn’t the best of records at Hampden didn’t Ross county beat his Celtic team?

GreenLake
23-08-2018, 11:49 AM
Its not a door … Its an exit / entry facilitation system affording players and staff unparalleled transition between the magnificent new pitch and the state of the art changing facility … with the added and unique innovation that Mr 640 can be addressing the playing staff even before the crowd has exited the stadium through the unique to Heart of Midlothian vomitoriums. :greengrin

Actually … coz Hertz have two tunnels is there a sign above one that's proudly says 'This is Tynecastle Park' and a sign above the other one that says 'So is this' :faf:

They will need some WD40 for the rusting hinges.

GRA
23-08-2018, 12:19 PM
Lennon hasn’t the best of records at Hampden didn’t Ross county beat his Celtic team?IIRC St Mirren, Hearts and Kilmarnock have also beaten him there during his Celtic days?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk