PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Ross County 190818)

Jonnyboy
19-08-2018, 06:42 PM
After the disappointment of going out of the Europa League qualifiers in Norway last Thursday, it was back to domestic football for Hibs and I travelled to the match at Easter Road wondering what changes Lenny might make, with a couple of players carrying knocks and others feeling in their legs the frequency of so many matches in such a short space of time. As it turned out there were a few changes to both personnel and system with Hibs starting a flat back four and bringing Laidlaw, Hyndman, Horgan, Martin and Shaw into the starting eleven. Surprisingly, to me at least, was the exclusion of Paul Hanlon who had to be content with a seat on the bench. For their part, Ross County started with an eleven that had plenty of top league experience, as against a Hibs eleven with a liberal sprinkling of youngsters.

The game was only a few seconds old when Vigurs lunged in on Stevie Mallan, earning a yellow card in the process. It might easily have been red as it was a horrible challenge and not his last in the game with a few others worthy of a second yellow but characteristically weak refereeing by Kevin Clancy meant the County man avoided an early bath. That challenge set the early tone with the visitors pressing us high and this young Hibs team was struggling to cope at times. Their pressure told around the ten minute mark when a headed clearance by Ambrose found Gardyne all alone on the edge of the box. The County man hammered a low shot which Laidlaw looked like he might have covered but a deflection resulted in the ball ending up in the net. I have to say the manner of the goal irked me somewhat as Gardyne had all the time in the world and not a Hibs player near him. The very same thing happened in Perth and again in Molde. I like that we leave players up the park when defending a corner but not if it means an opponent is presented with the easiest of chances to get a shot on goal.

For a few minutes after the goal we looked a bit unsettled but fine play involving Shaw and Boyle resulted in the latter causing Scott Fox to get down sharply, pushing the effort round the post. That seemed to settle Hibs a bit and they started to put together a decent passing game in midfield. The ball reached Horgan wide on the left and his quick feet took him past a defender and allowed an excellent back post cross to be bulleted home via the head of David Gray. It was Hibs that now enjoyed the best of the attacking play with Hyndman, Mallan and Horgan probing and trying to set Shaw and/or Boyle free. Horgan fired an effort just wide and then a cracking pass from Shaw put Boyle through for a one on one but disappointingly the Hibs man shot straight at Fox.

Next, Hyndman set Boyle up again but the wide man’s left footed effort was well saved by Fox who was the busiest keeper at that stage. County almost conceded an own goal but Fox reacted quickest to drop on a loose ball before all of the Hibs misses looked like they might cost them when County almost snatched a lead on the stroke of half time. An Arthur Montford stramash in the box saw Laidlaw drop on the ball only to be kicked in the head by Morris who was a lucky boy to only get a warning from the ref.

The second half started with County very much on the front foot and Hibs were finding it difficult to get forward at all. A silly free kick conceded by Porteous in the D of the penalty area allowed Vigurs to strike a free kick with the ball looking to go in the top corner but Laidlaw flew across his goal to make an excellent save. County though sensed blood and a low cross from their right was heading straight into Laidlaw’s arms but Ambrose got in the way and dallied over his clearance and then bundled the lively McManus over in the box. The ref seemed to take a while to make his mind up but it was pretty clearly a penalty. Ex Livingston man Josh Mullin took the kick and although Laidlaw got fingers to it the power in the strike beat him. Hibs were rocking now and Laidlaw once again came to the rescue by making fine saves from both Kelly and Gardyne.

Having survived an onslaught, Hibs began to get forward more and looked dangerous whenever Horgan or Mallan had possession. It was the latter of those two that got Hibs level with a stunning strike from about twenty five yards with Scott Fox rooted to the spot as the ball flew past him. That was Mallan’s sixth of the season with every one of them coming from outside the penalty area. It was anybody’s game at that point with both teams going for the win. Thankfully it was Hibs that succeeded when Horgan, some twenty odd yards from goal, jinked to his right, wrong footing his marker, before switching to his left and curling a glorious drive into the bottom corner.

It was a tough game for Hibs but it must surely be kept in mind that County fielded a far more seasoned starting eleven. We rode our luck at times but you have to admire the character of a predominantly young and inexperienced side.

The player

Ross – I thought he had a very good game and could not be faulted for either goal. Indeed he had a few saves that kept us in it. It was ironic that the message from the home stands was for him to be quicker in releasing the ball, only for the same stands to demand he take his time when we were 3-2 up with seconds to play.

SDG – It tickles me that the stadium announcer, when reading out the teams, says “At number 2, it’s Sir David Gray” but given Dave’s fondness for scoring against teams in blue he deserves that accolade.

Efe – This wasn’t Efe at his best and the grumblings from the stands seem to be getting louder with every game. Basic errors and bad decision making gets us in trouble too often and I just wish he could fully concentrate in every game because he’s a wonderful player when at his best.

Ryan – I thought Ryan struggled a little against the livewire that is Declan McManus but at times and especially late in the game he was a rock. The laddie is still learning and yes, he makes mistakes but learning from those mistakes will make him a better player.

Lewis – At one point in the first half a Lewis pass went straight to a County player and the reaction of those around me was of utter shock. It happens so rarely that reaction was understandable. Thankfully he was fine for the rest of the game.

Boyler – I thought Martin should have had a first half hat trick but his composure let him down and he was largely anonymous in the second half. I really like the laddie as a player but it has to be said he’s kinda chicken hearted in fifty/fifty situations.

Stevie – He showed again that he can pick a pass and at times he reminds me of Scott Allan but he needs to be at it for the whole ninety minutes and I don’t think he was today.

Emerson – The lad has very clever feet and he made a number of good runs and passes today but seemed to run out of steam after an hour or so.

Scotty – I was delighted to see that Scott was in the starting eleven. I love his dynamism and his willingness to mix it. When the ball was leathered into his face from close range he didn’t even flinch and I was disappointed he was replaced at half time but I’ve since heard he suffered a broken nose after that ball hit him square on.

Daryl – After a very tentative opening fifteen minutes I thought he came on to a very good game. He has great pace, is good with both feet and looked equally at home when out wide or in the centre where he finished the game. Excellent cross for the first Hibs goal and a sublime finish for the winner he gets my man of the match today.

Oli – Largely left to forage on his own for most of the game I think he demonstrated that he’s good at taking the ball in, laying it off and winning his fair share of headers.

Whitty – It rips my knitting when I hear groans around me as Whitty is announced as coming off the bench. He had a solid if unspectacular forty five minutes and deserves better from the fans in my opinion. It’s one thing criticising him on a messageboard but it’s quite another during a game when support should be the first thing on every fans mind.

Jamie – Replaced the tiring Hyndman but had little effect on the game when his supply of ball was predominantly in the air against a giant of a centre half.

Paul – Brought on, I think, to stiffen the defence in the closing stages and achieved that aim.

Lenny – I heard his interview on the way home and pretty much agreed with what he said in relation to the game. Was cagey when asked about new signings but did say “never say never” so time will tell I guess.

Clancy – Inept and a bit of a coward in allowing Vigurs to last the entire ninety minutes.

The fans – I’m told it was just shy of 8,500 and I have to say the atmosphere was pretty flat. Did the Since1875 folk just decide to boycott the game as their normal area was pretty deserted, just like the FF Lower.

Pretty Boy
19-08-2018, 06:51 PM
Good read as always J.

So disappointed for Scott Martin if he is going to be out with a broken nose. I thought when he got to grips with the pace of the game he really grew into it. Won 2 50/50s late in the half and looked like he took a knock after the 2nd one. I still hope he can kick on as he's a really good wee player but an injury today probably pushes him out the picture again.

Agree re Whittaker; the reaction to him coming on and any hint of an error was embarrassing.

Is It On....
19-08-2018, 06:53 PM
Sitting in a pub in Balham with a [still] unhappy Sellick man due to SJM. Thanks for the report [as usual].

scuttle
19-08-2018, 07:02 PM
Who was the guy at half time getting photos on pitch holding a Hibs top ? I assumed it was milligan but seemed strange he was never introduced by the stadium announcer

theonlywayisup
19-08-2018, 07:10 PM
After the disappointment of going out of the Europa League qualifiers in Norway last Thursday, it was back to domestic football for Hibs and I travelled to the match at Easter Road wondering what changes Lenny might make, with a couple of players carrying knocks and others feeling in their legs the frequency of so many matches in such a short space of time. As it turned out there were a few changes to both personnel and system with Hibs starting a flat back four and bringing Laidlaw, Hyndman, Horgan, Martin and Shaw into the starting eleven. Surprisingly, to me at least, was the exclusion of Paul Hanlon who had to be content with a seat on the bench. For their part, Ross County started with an eleven that had plenty of top league experience, as against a Hibs eleven with a liberal sprinkling of youngsters.

The game was only a few seconds old when Vigurs lunged in on Stevie Mallan, earning a yellow card in the process. It might easily have been red as it was a horrible challenge and not his last in the game with a few others worthy of a second yellow but characteristically weak refereeing by Kevin Clancy meant the County man avoided an early bath. That challenge set the early tone with the visitors pressing us high and this young Hibs team was struggling to cope at times. Their pressure told around the ten minute mark when a headed clearance by Ambrose found Gardyne all alone on the edge of the box. The County man hammered a low shot which Laidlaw looked like he might have covered but a deflection resulted in the ball ending up in the net. I have to say the manner of the goal irked me somewhat as Gardyne had all the time in the world and not a Hibs player near him. The very same thing happened in Perth and again in Molde. I like that we leave players up the park when defending a corner but not if it means an opponent is presented with the easiest of chances to get a shot on goal.

For a few minutes after the goal we looked a bit unsettled but fine play involving Shaw and Boyle resulted in the latter causing Scott Fox to get down sharply, pushing the effort round the post. That seemed to settle Hibs a bit and they started to put together a decent passing game in midfield. The ball reached Horgan wide on the left and his quick feet took him past a defender and allowed an excellent back post cross to be bulleted home via the head of David Gray. It was Hibs that now enjoyed the best of the attacking play with Hyndman, Mallan and Horgan probing and trying to set Shaw and/or Boyle free. Horgan fired an effort just wide and then a cracking pass from Shaw put Boyle through for a one on one but disappointingly the Hibs man shot straight at Fox.

Next, Hyndman set Boyle up again but the wide man’s left footed effort was well saved by Fox who was the busiest keeper at that stage. County almost conceded an own goal but Fox reacted quickest to drop on a loose ball before all of the Hibs misses looked like they might cost them when County almost snatched a lead on the stroke of half time. An Arthur Montford stramash in the box saw Laidlaw drop on the ball only to be kicked in the head by Morris who was a lucky boy to only get a warning from the ref.

The second half started with County very much on the front foot and Hibs were finding it difficult to get forward at all. A silly free kick conceded by Porteous in the D of the penalty area allowed Vigurs to strike a free kick with the ball looking to go in the top corner but Laidlaw flew across his goal to make an excellent save. County though sensed blood and a low cross from their right was heading straight into Laidlaw’s arms but Ambrose got in the way and dallied over his clearance and then bundled the lively McManus over in the box. The ref seemed to take a while to make his mind up but it was pretty clearly a penalty. Ex Livingston man Josh Mullin took the kick and although Laidlaw got fingers to it the power in the strike beat him. Hibs were rocking now and Laidlaw once again came to the rescue by making fine saves from both Kelly and Gardyne.

Having survived an onslaught, Hibs began to get forward more and looked dangerous whenever Horgan or Mallan had possession. It was the latter of those two that got Hibs level with a stunning strike from about twenty five yards with Scott Fox rooted to the spot as the ball flew past him. That was Mallan’s sixth of the season with every one of them coming from outside the penalty area. It was anybody’s game at that point with both teams going for the win. Thankfully it was Hibs that succeeded when Horgan, some twenty odd yards from goal, jinked to his right, wrong footing his marker, before switching to his left and curling a glorious drive into the bottom corner.

It was a tough game for Hibs but it must surely be kept in mind that County fielded a far more seasoned starting eleven. We rode our luck at times but you have to admire the character of a predominantly young and inexperienced side.

The player

Ross – I thought he had a very good game and could not be faulted for either goal. Indeed he had a few saves that kept us in it. It was ironic that the message from the home stands was for him to be quicker in releasing the ball, only for the same stands to demand he take his time when we were 3-2 up with seconds to play.

SDG – It tickles me that the stadium announcer, when reading out the teams, says “At number 2, it’s Sir David Gray” but given Dave’s fondness for scoring against teams in blue he deserves that accolade.

Efe – This wasn’t Efe at his best and the grumblings from the stands seem to be getting louder with every game. Basic errors and bad decision making gets us in trouble too often and I just wish he could fully concentrate in every game because he’s a wonderful player when at his best.

Ryan – I thought Ryan struggled a little against the livewire that is Declan McManus but at times and especially late in the game he was a rock. The laddie is still learning and yes, he makes mistakes but learning from those mistakes will make him a better player.

Lewis – At one point in the first half a Lewis pass went straight to a County player and the reaction of those around me was of utter shock. It happens so rarely that reaction was understandable. Thankfully he was fine for the rest of the game.

Boyler – I thought Martin should have had a first half hat trick but his composure let him down and he was largely anonymous in the second half. I really like the laddie as a player but it has to be said he’s kinda chicken hearted in fifty/fifty situations.

Stevie – He showed again that he can pick a pass and at times he reminds me of Scott Allan but he needs to be at it for the whole ninety minutes and I don’t think he was today.

Emerson – The lad has very clever feet and he made a number of good runs and passes today but seemed to run out of steam after an hour or so.

Scotty – I was delighted to see that Scott was in the starting eleven. I love his dynamism and his willingness to mix it. When the ball was leathered into his face from close range he didn’t even flinch and I was disappointed he was replaced at half time but I’ve since heard he suffered a broken nose after that ball hit him square on.

Daryl – After a very tentative opening fifteen minutes I thought he came on to a very good game. He has great pace, is good with both feet and looked equally at home when out wide or in the centre where he finished the game. Excellent cross for the first Hibs goal and a sublime finish for the winner he gets my man of the match today.

Oli – Largely left to forage on his own for most of the game I think he demonstrated that he’s good at taking the ball in, laying it off and winning his fair share of headers.

Whitty – It rips my knitting when I hear groans around me as Whitty is announced as coming off the bench. He had a solid if unspectacular forty five minutes and deserves better from the fans in my opinion. It’s one thing criticising him on a messageboard but it’s quite another during a game when support should be the first thing on every fans mind.

Jamie – Replaced the tiring Hyndman but had little effect on the game when his supply of ball was predominantly in the air against a giant of a centre half.

Paul – Brought on, I think, to stiffen the defence in the closing stages and achieved that aim.

Lenny – I heard his interview on the way home and pretty much agreed with what he said in relation to the game. Was cagey when asked about new signings but did say “never say never” so time will tell I guess.

Clancy – Inept and a bit of a coward in allowing Vigurs to last the entire ninety minutes.

The fans – I’m told it was just shy of 8,500 and I have to say the atmosphere was pretty flat. Did the Since1875 folk just decide to boycott the game as their normal area was pretty deserted, just like the FF Lower.

Pretty well sums up the game for me.

Couldn't believe the negativity towards Laidlaw and Whittaker when I got home. The former made some good saves when we were 2-1 down. The latter did okay second half and didn't do much wrong.

hibee_girl
19-08-2018, 07:12 PM
Good report as always JB :aok:

We did well to win but it wasn’t a pretty watch by any means. Stevenson in particular looked exhausted as did Boyle at the end.

Hopefully having a full week now before the Aberdeen game will do them all some good

cleanyman
19-08-2018, 07:16 PM
I'm sure SW produced a lovely bit of play before the goal.

Who can remember?

If so, that's why he's there.

Billy Whizz
19-08-2018, 07:17 PM
Excellent report, my thoughts as well. Seriously thought for a few moments after County went 2-1 up, that we were going out. Got to give the team praise for digging us out when we were down

Although we didn’t play as well as we’d have liked, this County team dismantled Dunfermline last week, and Hearts struggled against them yesterday
In the Cup it’s all about the result, and we’ll have forgotten about this game come the 1/4 v Aberdeen

PatHead
19-08-2018, 07:25 PM
Good report. Thought Efe was outstanding in the first half. Very comfortable on the ball. He undid all that in the second half though.

Btw Morris was booked just on halftime for the headkick.

HibbyAndy
19-08-2018, 07:34 PM
Don't think SW done anything wrong in the 2nd half to be honest , Certainly no worse than any other player out there , The flak that guy takes in the stands is pathetic but hey listen don't let a good opportunity to slag a hibs player pass you by :aok:

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
19-08-2018, 07:39 PM
Disagree about Martin - I was watching him closely and I thought he was hiding from the ball - he actually had a go at Stevenson at one point for giving him the ball with an opponent close - I expect a centre midfield player to be able to deal with that.

I thought Lewis in particular struggles in first half because of him not coming to take the ball, forcing us to go long too often.

He won a couple of 50/50s but he was nowhere near the quality to play in our midfield imo, and Whittaker was a major upgrade I thought. I'd be surprised if we see him again in the team.

Hate to write off a youngster, but I just don't see it in him.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
19-08-2018, 07:40 PM
Don't think SW done anything wrong in the 2nd half to be honest , Certainly no worse than any other player out there , The flak that guy takes in the stands is pathetic but hey listen don't let a good opportunity to slag a hibs player pass you by :aok:

Boy next to me was at it as soon as he came on. Was getting a bit annoying.

hibby6270
19-08-2018, 07:40 PM
Who was the guy at half time getting photos on pitch holding a Hibs top ? I assumed it was milligan but seemed strange he was never introduced by the stadium announcer

Didn’t quite catch what was happening. I thought it was Daz.
Didn’t (couldn’t) hear what the reason was.
Daz was definitely at the side of the pitch after it, so I’ve maybe confused the two.:confused:

ancient hibee
19-08-2018, 07:45 PM
Accurate as always.An eye opener for me today(sitting in my usual seat in the West upper)was the behaviour of some “strangers”.Clearly Hibs supporters three of them did nothing but pour abuse at some of the team from the very start.Why do they attend?

Brightside
19-08-2018, 07:46 PM
Disagree about Martin - I was watching him closely and I thought he was hiding from the ball - he actually had a go at Stevenson at one point for giving him the ball with an opponent close - I expect a centre midfield player to be able to deal with that.

I thought Lewis in particular struggles in first half because of him not coming to take the ball, forcing us to go long too often.

He won a couple of 50/50s but he was nowhere near the quality to play in our midfield imo, and Whittaker was a major upgrade I thought. I'd be surprised if we see him again in the team.

Our passing at times was very poor...no we shouldnt be passing to marked players. No point putting a player into a 50/50.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
19-08-2018, 07:51 PM
Our passing at times was very poor...no we shouldnt be passing to marked players. No point putting a player into a 50/50.

There's a difference between being marked and taking the ball with an opponent close to you (a fairly normal thing for a centre mid) - mcginn and mcgeouch did that all the time. Giving someone a ball with an opponent close does not equal creating a 50/50 if the pass is correct and the recipients body is properly positioned to receive, and their first touch is good (both things I would expect from a centre midfield player).

AZhibee
19-08-2018, 07:54 PM
Jonnyboy, thanks for the excellent write-up, appreciate the time you take to put that together, and enjoy reading it.

ancient hibee
19-08-2018, 07:56 PM
I think Stevenson is a bit unsettled without McGinn who was always available to take the ball under extreme pressure.Stevenson is going to find life a little more difficult.

B.H.F.C
19-08-2018, 07:57 PM

Not so sure about Martin hiding but will be amazed if we see much of him this season.

He’s got a wee bit of dig about him but not much more than that IMO.

Smartie
19-08-2018, 08:04 PM
Good report. Thought Efe was outstanding in the first half. Very comfortable on the ball. He undid all that in the second half though.

Btw Morris was booked just on halftime for the headkick.

As ever, he had some lovely play in possession under pressure during the first half, but he had some ropey defensive moments. There were times when he didn't even jump for headers, allowing his man to win the ball unchallenged (and it was luck, not judgment that nothing came from these).

His first 20 minutes of the second half were comical - caught in possession a few times, very loose in possession and then the mistake for the penalty.

It looks to me like he is being targeted by other teams, and is flogging far too many cheap goals.

Ross County showed exactly the way to play against us today, and if we try to play like that regularly, we'll get picked off time and again by teams pressing us.

Smartie
19-08-2018, 08:06 PM
Not so sure about Martin hiding but will be amazed if we see much of him this season.

He’s got a wee bit of dig about him but not much more than that IMO.

Our squad lacks bit of dig though, so for that alone he might find himself in our team more often.

B.H.F.C
19-08-2018, 08:11 PM
Our squad lacks bit of dig though, so for that alone he might find himself in our team more often.

I really can’t see it. I think he’ll be at the back of the queue for a starting place in the middle of the park if he’s still here.

If Martin ends up in the team regularly I think it’s a big step backwards.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
19-08-2018, 08:16 PM
There's a difference between being marked and taking the ball with an opponent close to you (a fairly normal thing for a centre mid) - mcginn and mcgeouch did that all the time. Giving someone a ball with an opponent close does not equal creating a 50/50 if the pass is correct and the recipients body is properly positioned to receive, and their first touch is good (both things I would expect from a centre midfield player).

:agree:

Wee Scottie Dug
19-08-2018, 08:36 PM
Daz was definitely at the side of the pitch after it, so I’ve maybe confused the two.:confused:

It was Daz ..... Photographer was taking shots of him holding a strip, couldn't see what advertising was written on the strip - he ended up having a chuckle with the photographer as they looked at the taken photos though ......

jacomo
19-08-2018, 09:22 PM
I think Stevenson is a bit unsettled without McGinn who was always available to take the ball under extreme pressure.Stevenson is going to find life a little more difficult.

:agree:

I think you are right. We’ve lost that balance on the left, largely because SJM was so energetic.

Eyrie
19-08-2018, 10:33 PM
I was surprised when Martin was taken off but didn't realise that he had a broken nose.

Thought he started slowly before getting into the game and did the basics well. Not well enough to indicate he should be starting for us regularly, but well enough that he can offer us something as a squad player.

Stantons Angel
19-08-2018, 10:34 PM

It was Brett McGoldrick the Commercial Manager holding up the strip to be photographed.

Jim44
19-08-2018, 10:53 PM

If truth be told, I think the whole team is and will be a bit unsettled till we come to terms with the loss of McGinn.

Forza Fred
20-08-2018, 04:21 AM

Agree we need a bit of dig, but that will be supplied I think by Milligan.

After all, he is a Digger........

Seveno
20-08-2018, 12:12 PM
Whilst Lewis does miss SJM, I am sure that Horgan will soon learn how much Lewis can help his game.

It it was an excellent pass from Lewis to Stevie Mallan for his goal.

NAE NOOKIE
20-08-2018, 12:42 PM
There was a we gasp when Lewis gave the ball away, as you said its practically a collectors item for him to lose it on a pass of under 20 yards.

What Saturday showed to me was two things. The first being that without Marvin Bartley, not to mention the loss of SJM and Dylan ( who wasn't afraid of a challenge ) we are a bit too lightweight in midfield, RC outmuscled us a bit too easily at times. Hopefully Milligan will address that problem.

The second is that we are also still finding our feet so far as the midfield is concerned … we don't have players finding space in the midfield and we lack the movement required to have a player showing for the ball all the time, they were far too static for me at times and it was the same against Motherwell. That lack of movement also means we aren't tight enough to the opposition and it allows them to play through us too easily if we don't have a defensively minded midfielder on the park like Marv.

Given the nature of the team we put out and the fact that Ross County gave a good account of themselves it was a good result for Hibs, but its clear we still have to find our best team and get that team used to playing together. I don't think we have seen that this season yet and the good thing about it is we are still getting results …. I'm very hopeful that there's far more to come from us once we get settled.

hibby6270
20-08-2018, 08:07 PM
It was Daz ..... Photographer was taking shots of him holding a strip, couldn't see what advertising was written on the strip - he ended up having a chuckle with the photographer as they looked at the taken photos though ......

It was Brett McGoldrick the Commercial Manager holding up the strip to be photographed.

And the mystery is now solved. Partnership with Utilita has been extended.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/9101