PDA

View Full Version : Different points of view....

Cat Stanton
19-08-2018, 04:13 PM
Couldn't be at the game today but managed to listen to most on the radio. The presenters and commentators all talking it up: a cracking a cup tie, great Hibs goals etc etc. John Hughes saying how the new midfielders all looked great etc. etc.

Then I had a quick look at the match day thread on hibs.net, and there is semi-hysteria at points, discussion of how brutal Hibs looked, what a long season it was going to be, and common reference to a non-existent midfield...

I'll wait for Johnny Boy's report to get a better idea. But it's a bit confusing...

cleanyman
19-08-2018, 04:16 PM
I thought Hibs were poor today with far too many underperforming players.

An excellent win mind you but we can't play like that in big games starting next week.

Thecat23
19-08-2018, 04:19 PM
Couldn't be at the game today but managed to listen to most on the radio. The presenters and commentators all talking it up: a cracking a cup tie, great Hibs goals etc etc. John Hughes saying how the new midfielders all looked great etc. etc.

Then I had a quick look at the match day thread on hibs.net, and there is semi-hysteria at points, discussion of how brutal Hibs looked, what a long season it was going to be, and common reference to a non-existent midfield...

I'll wait for Johnny Boy's report to get a better idea. But it's a bit confusing...

Hibs were very poor today trust me on that. I doubt Johnny’s report will have many plus points in it. Anyone who thinks we played well need their eyes checked.

hibee_girl
19-08-2018, 04:21 PM
We were awful today, haven't seen us play that bad in a long long time.

The first half was decent but the second half was just mind numbing, from both teams to be fair.

The goals were the only real quality in the game, both Mallan's and Horgan's came from nothing.

Posh Hibby
19-08-2018, 04:22 PM
Can confirm that we were poor today. In fact I struggle to think of the last time I saw us that bad...

Very disjointed and scrappy. I guess this was due to new players getting used to each other, players being rested etc.

The positive was we kept going until the end and got the result.

hibs#1
19-08-2018, 04:22 PM
I thought we were pretty poor but the players did really well to stick at and keep going right to the end.Still think we need more balance in midfield and to try and keep possesion better. We have however played a alot of games in short space of time whilst still bedding in new signings dealing with massive losses in midfield plus injuries.We still won which is the important think performances will pick up 👍.

SirDavidsNapper
19-08-2018, 04:23 PM
We've had no real proper training sessions. It's been game, rest/recovery, game for last few weeks with Europe. Can understand today not being great. We won though and i reckon we'll kick on now.

Scooter
19-08-2018, 04:23 PM
Hibs were very poor today trust me on that. I doubt Johnny’s report will have many plus points in it. Anyone who thinks we played well need their eyes checked.

:agree:

Looked like the change in shape confused everyone

But i thought Horgan looked good

Dancehibs
19-08-2018, 04:27 PM
Ok I will go to the opticians. We had a twenty min spell after they scored. We should have scored four

PatHead
19-08-2018, 04:28 PM
Strange to say on a five goal match. It was a flat performance. The important thing was we won though. Ross County did everything they could to interrupt the flow of the game though which didn’t help.

For the first time in a while Neil has a full uninterrupted week to work with the players. Think the season starts now.

Onceinawhile
19-08-2018, 04:28 PM
We were always likely to be poor today. First time that midfield three had played together, first time we've played that formation in an age plus tiredness and the lost momentum from Thursday night.

Name in the hat for the next round and a big game to look forward to. 👍

Onion
19-08-2018, 04:29 PM
Who listens to John Hughes ? Hibs were poor, especially 2nd half. Midfield disappeared for long spells and only a couple of great strikes got us through. Play like that against any top 6 side and we’re toast.

Bob Box Fish
19-08-2018, 04:30 PM
Just heading back from the match I thought we were very poor today. Plus points were Horgan and Mallan. Early days but Hyndman reminds me of Brian Hamilton. Hopefully a few more signings to come before the window closes. Really need some dig in the middle of the park.

bingo70
I listened to it on the radio as well and i got a different vibe from what Yogi and co were saying.......yes it was a great game, but it was also very evident we were playing crap. It sounded like it was all Ross county.

If we had played well it probably wouldn’t have been as good a game as I think it’s fair to say if we’d played our best we would have won comfortably.

Hermit Crab
Hibs were crap and probably didn't deserve to go through, we lost the midfield when SW came on at HT imo. He was murder.

Jim44
19-08-2018, 04:33 PM
I know it’s a cliche, but three or four years ago we would have lost that game badly.

calumhibee1
19-08-2018, 04:34 PM
Had a decent 25 minute period in the first half but other than that we were pretty honking. Wins a win though and onto a good tie in the next round.

Dancehibs
19-08-2018, 04:34 PM
Hibs were crap and probably didn't deserve to go through, we lost the midfield when SW came on at HT imo. He was murder.
Midfield only dominated for a 20 min spell. Mallan didn’t do much nor did Hyndman.

Thecat23
19-08-2018, 04:35 PM
Ok I will go to the opticians. We had a twenty min spell after they scored. We should have scored four

Having a 20 min spell doesn’t mean we played well. In fact if you can only say we played well for 20 mins during a 90 min game that says it all.

jakedance
19-08-2018, 04:35 PM
We were pretty poor today, particularly in the second half, but a couple of bits of quality made the difference and we got away with it. I’d have had no complaints if County had won it.

PatHead
19-08-2018, 04:36 PM

Didn’t think Whittaker was so bad that he needed singled out. Certainly was not the worst player on the pitch.

CMac1988
19-08-2018, 04:37 PM
Not enough to bite or movement in midfield off the ball. As a neutral it was probably an exciting game but as a Hibs fan I expect us to be more comfortable on the ball and control the game better, especially at home.

jakedance
19-08-2018, 04:38 PM

I think that’s a bit harsh. Lost the ball two or three times but played some good passes too. Folk, not necessarily directed at you, can’t wait to see him make a mistake it seems.

JohnM1875
19-08-2018, 04:39 PM
Didn’t think Whittaker was so bad that he needed singled out. Certainly was not the worst player on the pitch.

I actually agree. Can't really think of anything he did wrong. A few wayward passes sure, but he wasn't alone in that. Also kept the ball moving whenever he received it and always gave an option. Wasn't great but wasn't bad either.

Onion
19-08-2018, 04:40 PM
Who listens to John Hughes ? Hibs were poor, especially 2nd half. Midfield disappeared for long spells and only a couple of great strikes got us through. Play like that against any top 6 side and we’re toast.

Hibstrooper
19-08-2018, 04:40 PM
Excellent result given the circumstances.

Not the best performance but plenty of encouraging signs (Horgan’s all round game, Mallan with another raker, Hyndman’s running with the ball at times) that I’m confident when we get a settled team and time to work on our play we will do more than ok.

bookert
19-08-2018, 04:42 PM
Having a 20 min spell doesn’t mean we played well. In fact if you can only say we played well for 20 mins during a 90 min game that says it all.

Thought we were as poor as I've seen us for a good while. After they scored their second they could have another couple, our defensive discipline had completely gone and laidlaw kept us in it at that point. Missed hanlon massively imho.

rotherhamrob
19-08-2018, 04:43 PM
Midfield only dominated for a 20 min spell. Mallan didn’t do much nor did Haland.

When did we sign him?
Not bad though, he's rated in the millions😉

bingo70
19-08-2018, 04:44 PM

John Hughes didn’t say we played well.

He said it was a very good game. They’re two very different things.

ScottB
19-08-2018, 04:44 PM
Seemed a bit odd to play such a weakened side, in that, our first team have very little experience playing together, post McGinn, and have yet to win together. I'd have thought today was a good chance to give them a run out in what seemed like a very winnable game. Granted I'm sure guys are tired after Norway, but resting players when the ones who we'll be relying on next week have barely played together, either in whatever our new system is, or together full stop, could be risky.

Smartie
19-08-2018, 04:46 PM
Midfield only dominated for a 20 min spell. Mallan didn’t do much nor did Haland.

TBH I didn't even notice he was playing.

From a Hibs fan's point of view we were poor. We were very lucky to win at home to lower league opposition and still looked like we were finding our feet.

I can see why neutrals might have enjoyed it.

We won though, and I thought there were a few bright spots - Horgan played very well, Mallan again showed the ability to get a goal out of nothing, we stuck at it and ground out a win from a poor performance (a real trademark of Lennon's teams). I don't agree that Whittaker was poor - I thought he was one of few players to get a foot on the ball and he was at the centre of most of our better play in the second half.

More to the point we got through the tie whilst highlighting a few weaknesses and points to work on - we lost avoidable goals, Ambrose and McLaren didn't do anything to dispel recent criticism, Shaw looked a bit isolated and lightweight up front, the balance in midfield still doesn't look right.

I don't actually think we're far off being a decent side, and it will be interesting to see how Kamberi, Milligan, Bartley, McGregor, Hanlon and Agyepong might fit into that team and formation.

Oh, and we cannot go into this season's derbies with a side anything like that - it will get murdered.

Iain G
19-08-2018, 04:46 PM
When did we sign him?
Not bad though, he's rated in the millions😉

And then Lennon plays him in midfield? Madness 😉

Dancehibs
19-08-2018, 04:51 PM
Where did I say we played well? Appreciate don’t have your football knowledge. We weren’t very poor as you described our performance. Went behind twice and scored a late winner. Some players were dead on their feet. Others short of match fitness. But had the mental strength to get us to the next round

CLASS OF 72 -73
19-08-2018, 04:52 PM
Heard we were poor today as well as the attendance of 8400. Well done to all that made it.

SingaporeHibs
19-08-2018, 04:54 PM
Overall It wasn’t a good performance today. However, that’s not going to be the side that plays most weeks once we settle into it.
Positives from today, Horgan looks like he can play. Good crosses with both feet at times, we also need to remember he won’t be match fit yet either. Very well taken winner. There will be a lot more from him I hope.
if he is able to produce these crosses once we have Flo and McLaren fit together they will love that kind of service.
Mallan again scores a beauty from nothing. He is going to be huge for us if played in the right position. Playing too deep at the moment which i’m Sure will change once others come into the team.
HC - SW wasn’t murder at all when he came on at all. Different opinions but people looking for scape goats that aren’t there don’t help.
We got through today with a mix of new players, younger less experienced players, not match fit players, players that only just met their new team mates.
Take the positives from today and we move on. Lennon has a full week working with them now, something he hasn’t had time for yet. I’m not suggesting we’ll be anywhere near the finished article by next Saturday but we’ll certainly be a bigger step further forward. GGTTH

Jim44
19-08-2018, 04:57 PM
I think that’s a bit harsh. Lost the ball two or three times but played some good passes too. Folk, not necessarily directed at you, can’t wait to see him make a mistake it seems.

I actually agree. Can't really think of anything he did wrong. A few wayward passes sure, but he wasn't alone in that. Also kept the ball moving whenever he received it and always gave an option. Wasn't great but wasn't bad either.

Glad to see some support for Whittaker. He’s probably not our best option but I don’t think he’s nearly as poor as some make out. Some folk are only looking for mistakes and ignore the more solid run of the mill stuff and occasional good stuff. He doesn’t deserve to be the constant whipping boy, IMO.

one day maybe...
19-08-2018, 04:58 PM
Overall It wasn’t a good performance today. However, that’s not going to be the side that plays most weeks once we settle into it.
Positives from today, Horgan looks like he can play. Good crosses with both feet at times, we also need to remember he won’t be match fit yet either. Very well taken winner. There will be a lot more from him I hope.
if he is able to produce these crosses once we have Flo and McLaren fit together they will love that kind of service.
Mallan again scores a beauty from nothing. He is going to be huge for us if played in the right position. Playing too deep at the moment which i’m Sure will change once others come into the team.
HC - SW wasn’t murder at all when he came on at all. Different opinions but people looking for scape goats that aren’t there don’t help.
We got through today with a mix of new players, younger less experienced players, not match fit players, players that only just met their new team mates.
Take the positives from today and we move on. Lennon has a full week working with them now, something he hasn’t had time for yet. I’m not suggesting we’ll be anywhere near the finished article by next Saturday but we’ll certainly be a bigger step further forward. GGTTH

A sensible post.. win in the cup move on, a week with nearly a full squad to work on. Build team comradery and on to the next game. #GGTTH

Borderhibbie76
19-08-2018, 04:59 PM
Hibs were crap and probably didn't deserve to go through, we lost the midfield when SW came on at HT imo. He was murder.Sorry but I disagree he wasn't that bad in fact he was a lot better than Hyndman who was virtually anonymous...not seen anything yet to convince me he's a player. I'm no SW fan tbh but he sprayed some nice passes thought... Mallan goal apart was anonymous the whole 2nd half too so I don't see why some are picking on Whittaker again??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thecat23
19-08-2018, 04:59 PM
Where did I say we played well? Appreciate don’t have your football knowledge. We weren’t very poor as you described our performance. Went behind twice and scored a late winner. Some players were dead on their feet. Others short of match fitness. But had the mental strength to get us to the next round

We were very poor, in fact it’s the worst performance I’ve seen in a long long time. You don’t need any knowledge to see that. Some looked tired I agree but overall Hibs were brutal.

Babyshamble
19-08-2018, 05:01 PM
Would take a bad performance & win rather than get horsed oot the cup 👍

PeeJay
19-08-2018, 05:01 PM

RC played some lovely passing football, something we failed to do for most of the match - we were saved by a couple of moments of individual magic - no-body could be pleased by the performance but the result makes it seem ok- from an impartial point of view the game/cup tie was a decent one … a lot of work needs to be done however on passing, ball retention, being aware of where team players are and making sensible decisions - communication also needs to be improved - still too many ball watching … looking forward to the Aberdeen game though ...

Dancehibs
19-08-2018, 05:02 PM
We were very poor, in fact it’s the worst performance I’ve seen in a long long time. You don’t need any knowledge to see that. Some looked tired I agree but overall Hibs were brutal.
Aberdeen away last season was brutal. Jamie Maclaren three appearances looks a poor mans Jason Cummings. Contributes nothing if he doesn’t score. Disappointing start he needs to improve

Hibbyradge
19-08-2018, 05:03 PM
We lost a deflected goal and a highly avoidable penalty which gave County bags of confidence and dented ours.

We've played 9 games this season and only lost one. Today wasn't pretty, but we've still got a bit of momentum.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Milligan fits into the team. If he's still fit, he sounds like the steel we need to add to the midfield.

If we get Allan too, or similar, we might have a more than decent season ahead of us.

Hibbyradge
19-08-2018, 05:05 PM
I should also say that we had a very tough away game in Norway 3 nights ago so we've done well to deal with the negative effects of that.

Hermit Crab
19-08-2018, 05:05 PM
Sorry but I disagree he wasn't that bad in fact he was a lot better than Hyndman who was virtually anonymous...not seen anything yet to convince me he's a player. I'm no SW fan tbh but he sprayed some nice passes thought... Mallan goal apart was anonymous the whole 2nd half too so I don't see why some are picking on Whittaker again??

What about the defence splitting passes that played Boyle in? He blew 2 one v ones today... from great passes

banchoryhibs
19-08-2018, 05:06 PM
I thought we should have been out of sight by half time. Boyle missed 2 one on ones and we had enough possession to create more decent chances.
We then made it very hard for ourselves Hynman dropped out of the game, Mallan was mostly anonymous, the defence was fragile and MacLaren did not make much of an impact.
But we scraped through and that is all that matters.
We now have the benefit of a week at East Mains.
Onwards and upwards

Borderhibbie76
We were very poor, in fact it’s the worst performance I’ve seen in a long long time. You don’t need any knowledge to see that. Some looked tired I agree but overall Hibs were brutal.Sorry but no way was that worse than Aberdeen away last year and we were equally poor at home to Livi in cup around this time last year when Stokes scored a last min pen winner. I think your being really harsh considering all the football we've played and 6 changes from Thurs night. It wasn't great agreed but you are being overly critical imo mate

Nakedmanoncrack
Hibs were awful today, I don't care because we got through and that's all that matters. But against better opposition we were out, the difference between the teams was that despite being so poor we still had a but more quality to deliver - fine cross for Grays goal, and two fine goals. They were the better team for much of the game but lacked that quality to punish us.

Thecat23
19-08-2018, 05:07 PM
Sorry but no way was that worse than Aberdeen away last year and we were equally poor at home to Livi in cup around this time last year when Stokes scored a last min pen winner. I think your being really harsh considering all the football we've played and 6 changes from Thurs night. It wasn't great agreed but you are being overly critical imo mate

I’d actually forgot about the Dons game away, you are right it wasn’t as bad as that. Worst home performance I can remember in a while though.

Sioux
19-08-2018, 05:07 PM

:faf::faf:

You can't lose what you didn't have!

Thecat23
19-08-2018, 05:09 PM
Aberdeen away last season was brutal. Jamie Maclaren three appearances looks a poor mans Jason Cummings. Contributes nothing if he doesn’t score. Disappointing start he needs to improve

Yep Dons was worse, think I put that game out my mind. Maclaren has showed his class for us he’ll be fine. We need Allan in to help him and Kamberi.

FifeHibs
19-08-2018, 05:12 PM
Need time to train together and settle.
Hynman has only been at here 10 days and Horgan 8 days.
The midfield was a new 3 today, which will probably change for next Saturday.

Jim44
19-08-2018, 05:12 PM
:faf::faf:

You can't lose what you didn't have!

But you can lose what you have 50% of. I don’t think they owned the midfield in the first half.

Dancehibs
19-08-2018, 05:13 PM
Would take a bad performance & win rather than get horsed oot the cup 👍
Correct. Now we are out of Europe, it will be interesting to see what team he starts to go with. Finding correct balance in midfield will be crucial as IMO nobody has shown they should be a starter.

Dancehibs
19-08-2018, 05:14 PM
Yep Dons was worse, think I put that game out my mind. Maclaren has showed his class for us he’ll be fine. We need Allan in to help him and Kamberi.
100% need Allan. Based on what I’ve seen so far nobody in Allan’s league

FifeHibs
19-08-2018, 05:15 PM

Lay off the witch hunt.

Hiber-nation
19-08-2018, 05:17 PM
Totally understandable after a change in formation, new players getting to know each other and much needed rest for some players with others running on empty after 4 really high intensity European games.

This place is absolutely mental...worst performance for a long long time...have a word.

Fife-Hibee
19-08-2018, 05:18 PM
The quality was poor, but the players never lacked effort. The highland teams always give us a tough game and always seem to know how to play against us and frustrate the fans and players.

The decision making going forward is too delayed at times. Passes are often made that should have been made seconds earlier. It makes it hard to really slice teams open effectively, causing our attacking play to be more laboured than it should be. If the players can get that aspect of their game up to speed, then I reckon we'd look far more dangerous on the attack than we have done recently.

WestStandWillie
19-08-2018, 05:19 PM
Crap today.

Midifield aw ower the place. No link between them and attack. Efe having another moment. I’d get rid of Ambrose in a shot if we could ger another defender.

Jim44
19-08-2018, 05:22 PM
100% need Allan. Based on what I’ve seen so far nobody in Allan’s league

Maybe we are working away in the background to bring in SA, but unless we get him or a similar player (don’t know if Milligan fits the bill) we will sorely miss the catalyst qualities of John McGinn.

theonlywayisup
19-08-2018, 05:23 PM
Typical Hibs.net over-reaction.

Hibs were not awful. We were not very poor. We just didn't play as well as we now expect; a shadow of the team that played last season end.

mjhibby
19-08-2018, 05:23 PM
We've had no real proper training sessions. It's been game, rest/recovery, game for last few weeks with Europe. Can understand today not being great. We won though and i reckon we'll kick on now.

Look how bad Aberdeen were after two Europa League ties. I think it's easy to underestimate how much our euro run took out of the players. The likes of kamberi were struggling with injuries. I'm amazed porteous has handled all the games. The result is all that matters and the spirit is immense. A free midweek and we'll be ready for the dons.

B.H.F.C
19-08-2018, 05:24 PM
Crap today.

Midifield aw ower the place. No link between them and attack. Efe having another moment. I’d get rid of Ambrose in a shot if we could ger another defender.

To me, it feels like we’ve signed a number of decent midfield players without a clear idea of how we want to play them.

Mallan in the final third is an asset, but he needs the right players in there with him as he just lets people wander by him.

Hope Milligan can come in and organise thing in there.

Springbank
19-08-2018, 05:25 PM
there is a potential for a 4-1-4-1 formation to come through this season

two solid full backs (Gray, Stevenson) with centre halves from Hanlon, Ambrose, McGregor, Porteous.

a holding mid (the great missing link in my book - possibly Milligan? Bartley for bigger games)

Then a 4 with 2 creative mids and 2 wingers either side of them (Boyle, Horgan, Agyepong on width, plus Mallan, Hyndman, maybe Scott Allan)

Then one of Kamberi, Shaw, Maclaren up top

However, my 3 things from today were:

(1) holding mid is one of the most important players in the team and we are as yet lacking a Kamara/Mulumbu type. Interested to see Milligan in time.

(2) the 2 creative mids MUST work harder and close down men, track runners, give away no space. Currently we are totally "after you, Claude" and we invite wave after wave of attack. In the second half today we were stuck in our own half (despite having centre) until their penalty goal. We will be battered by better teams this season if we don't work on closing space & tracking runners.

(3) I am not convinced Mallan and Hyndman can be played in the same team, I see them as either/or, with one on the bench coming on for the other.

Hermit Crab
19-08-2018, 05:29 PM
Typical Hibs.net over-reaction.

Hibs were not awful. We were not very poor. We just didn't play as well as we now expect; a shadow of the team that played last season end.

Compared to that we were crap, you dress it up how you want.

erin go bragh
19-08-2018, 05:30 PM
Changed more than half the team but still won and we have a home game against Aberdeen to give us a great chance to get back to Hampden.
:cb Horgan looks a player that will get bums off the seats .

Dancehibs
19-08-2018, 05:35 PM
there is a potential for a 4-1-4-1 formation to come through this season

two solid full backs (Gray, Stevenson) with centre halves from Hanlon, Ambrose, McGregor, Porteous.

a holding mid (the great missing link in my book - possibly Milligan? Bartley for bigger games)

Then a 4 with 2 creative mids and 2 wingers either side of them (Boyle, Horgan, Agyepong on width, plus Mallan, Hyndman, maybe Scott Allan)

Then one of Kamberi, Shaw, Maclaren up top

However, my 3 things from today were:

(1) holding mid is one of the most important players in the team and we are as yet lacking a Kamara/Mulumbu type. Interested to see Milligan in time.

(2) the 2 creative mids MUST work harder and close down men, track runners, give away no space. Currently we are totally "after you, Claude" and we invite wave after wave of attack. In the second half today we were stuck in our own half (despite having centre) until their penalty goal. We will be battered by better teams this season if we don't work on closing space & tracking runners.

(3) I am not convinced Mallan and Hyndman can be played in the same team, I see them as either/or, with one on the bench coming on for the other.
some good points. Big thing is Mallan and Hyndman are poor without the ball . Playing without ball is crucial in today’s game. As others have said big challenge for Lenny to find correct balance.

No way Maclaren can play as a lone striker. We wouldn’t be able to hold up the ball and link play.

bingo70
19-08-2018, 05:39 PM
Compared to that we were crap, you dress it up how you want.

If you’ve not done so already I think it’s worth listening to Lennons post match interview.

Lennon doesn’t exactly disagree with you but he goes some way to explaining the performance.

Without seeing the performance I think we should be pretty happy tonight, performance and result next week will tell us more.

wookie70
19-08-2018, 05:42 PM
Poor display and looked pretty disjointed. Horgan looks good, Hyndman looks like he needs games and McLaren looks like McLaren but is playing like he has never seen a ball before. Mallan was poor today but it shows the importance of having goalscorers in the team. I thought Scott Martin came in and did a good job in the Dylan role and if he wasn't injured it was a bizarre substitution bringing Whittaker on. Whittaker was ok. Lots of slack play but some good reading on the game and a fantastic cross field ball to SDG.

All in all it is the cup and we are through that that is all that really matters. Looking forward I wonder if Lennon has a clue what his starting line up will be. Boyle has went a bit cold, SDG is playing very well and Horgan looks excellent but plays on the same side as Mr Hibs. Hopefully he will get the formula right as there are some very good looking player but not an obvious starting line up or shape.

hibsbollah
19-08-2018, 05:44 PM
Glad to see some support for Whittaker. He’s probably not our best option but I don’t think he’s nearly as poor as some make out. Some folk are only looking for mistakes and ignore the more solid run of the mill stuff and occasional good stuff. He doesn’t deserve to be the constant whipping boy, IMO.

I watched him hard today throughout. The problem with him is his inconsistency and his constant desire to change the play and ignore the easy option. He often looks like he's changing his mind and is indecisive. As I said on the match thread, the peculiar thing is he's so experienced, but he plays like a kid. I did note some nice diagonal balls and a couple of blocks, but in his position we need someone to retain position, break up the play and just don't make many mistakes.

judas
19-08-2018, 05:44 PM

Yogi is a bigger slaver than a poachers dug that’s for sure. Not a person to be taken seriously.

Smartie
19-08-2018, 05:48 PM
I watched him hard today throughout. The problem with him is his inconsistency and his constant desire to change the play and ignore the easy option. He often looks like he's changing his mind and is indecisive. As I said on the match thread, the peculiar thing is he's so experienced, but he plays like a kid. I did note some nice diagonal balls and a couple of blocks, but in his position we need someone to retain position, break up the play and just don't make many mistakes.

For all he's an experienced player, he's fairly inexperienced playing the position we're currently playing him in - and it's the moments of indecision that make him look like he's playing badly (especially when you compare him to the likes of McGeouch and McGinn who always looked decisive and comfortable in possession).

I actually think Whittaker has put a few decent performances in since his nightmare at home to Asteras - he was good enough over there, did well last week and I thought did fine in a struggling team today.

Franck Stanton
19-08-2018, 05:55 PM
In my opinion we lack a "leader" in both defence and midfield. Someone to shout at / cajole players around them. To take the game by the scruff of the neck and get players to do their jobs. Hopefully Milligan can fulfil this role as it is badly needed.

Dancehibs
19-08-2018, 05:57 PM
That’s a great assessment. In his younger days Whitty was all about pace and power. Never had a great football brain. I’m convinced over the season he will be a useful squad player

Smartie
19-08-2018, 05:58 PM
In my opinion we lack a "leader" in both defence and midfield. Someone to shout at / cajole players around them. To take the game by the scruff of the neck and get players to do their jobs. Hopefully Milligan can fulfil this role as it is badly needed.

I totally agree.

I think Porteous alluded to the fact that he gets less help from Ambrose than he does from the other defenders we have in terms of vocal instruction. The midfielders all look a bit quiet and meek at the moment too.

I honestly don't think we're far off being a very good side - stick Hanlon and McGregor at centre-half, Milligan into that midfield and Kamberi up front and all of a sudden you have a more physically and mentally tough spine to the team.

hibsbollah
19-08-2018, 05:59 PM
For all he's an experienced player, he's fairly inexperienced playing the position we're currently playing him in - and it's the moments of indecision that make him look like he's playing badly (especially when you compare him to the likes of McGeouch and McGinn who always looked decisive and comfortable in possession).

I actually think Whittaker has put a few decent performances in since his nightmare at home to Asteras - he was good enough over there, did well last week and I thought did fine in a struggling team today.

Youve got a point with that first sentence, to be honest. I disagree with your final sentence.

I do try to be supportive usually and I can't stand the pitchfork mentality of scapegoating, but to me SW is holding the fort until we get a really powerful presence in that position.

But we won, we're in the next round and this performance will be long forgotten when we lift the cup:cup:

Seveno
19-08-2018, 06:04 PM
After our European adventure and the totill that has taken, let’s cut the team some slack. We won with three great goals against a deflection and silly penalty. GGTTH

ancient hibee
19-08-2018, 06:08 PM
Everybody tried their hardest ,some didn’t play very well,we’re in the quarter final.Next.

Pretty Boy
19-08-2018, 06:11 PM
Excepting a 25-30 minute spell after they scored their 1st we were pretty crap.

We won though and I doubt we'll ever see that team on the park again this season. We looked leggy, Stevenson in particular looked gone after 65 minutes. Hard shift after a manic start to the season. A week to get to work on the training field and recover.

B.H.F.C
19-08-2018, 06:16 PM
Excepting a 25-30 minute spell after they scored their 1st we were pretty crap.

We won though and I doubt we'll ever see that team on the park again this season. We looked leggy, Stevenson in particular looked gone after 65 minutes. Hard shift after a manic start to the season. A week to get to work on the training field and recover.

Thought Boyle was another who looked absolutely done. He was as quiet in the second half as I’ve seen him in a very, very long time.

DetroitHibs
19-08-2018, 06:17 PM
Watched on Hibs TV. Performance wasn't great, but in the next round. Really missed having a solid presence in the middle of the park. Having Bartley in there would have made the difference, but he's injured. Hopefully the Aussie lad can fill that role and maybe another forward comes in. Haven't been impressed with Maclaren since coming back. I think young Oli Shaw has looked much more well rounded,

Allant1981
19-08-2018, 06:19 PM
we werent great but also werent as bad as other have made out, bad defending from ambrose made it look a lot closer than it actually was

maturehibby
19-08-2018, 06:20 PM
Love the Boyler but today he was not at the races at nil nil he had three one on one's with Fox and Fox saved them.
Every player seems to have a goalkeeper they can't get past and this is Boyle' s one
Had he taken these three scoring chances the comments tonight would have been different

Dazzjw1875
19-08-2018, 06:27 PM
I thought we were poor today maybe too many changes? But we still won where we would have defo lost this type of game before. Thought horgan once he got into it was good and will be great once he gets into full swing.

Smartie
19-08-2018, 06:41 PM
Thought Boyle was another who looked absolutely done. He was as quiet in the second half as I’ve seen him in a very, very long time.

You could also see that as soon as he got the ball, 2 players were on him in a flash.

Hermit Crab
19-08-2018, 06:49 PM
You could also see that as soon as he got the ball, 2 players were on him in a flash.

Every team is going to do that so he is going to have be smarter on the ball.

Famous Fiver
19-08-2018, 06:54 PM
I can't agree with all the prophets of doom and negative critics on this thread.

We were playing a team whose players all played in the Premier League last season and are more or less a settled, very experienced side.. They had their strongest available line up on show. We had shaken up the team a bit after a very hard run of fixtures. New young centre half, reserve goalie, season debut for a development player, new player playing with his colleagues for the first time. I could go on.

Sure County played a bit of football at times but they committed their first yellow card offence within 5 seconds, broke the game up at every opportunity, and should have had two red cards. They are a Premier League outfit in everything but name.

Our classy players prevailed in the end and all in all I am quite happy with the result.

My opinion is that some people on here just do not appreciate how far we have come, and we now have to do without the best midfield in Scotland, bar none.

Allan, McGeouch, McGinn, McGregor, Hanlon, Kamberi, Bartley, Bogdan, Marciano, all not playing for one reason or another and some on here reckon we should carry on at the same high level. Get real. Mallan is bursting a gut for us and Horgan was totally committed to the cause.

Full marks to Neil Lennon and his team for putting a winning side on the park today.

Big test against Aberdeen next week but we have a week to rest up and work on the training field.

Doom and gloom? No way.

In my opinion.

Rant over.

O'Rourke3
19-08-2018, 06:55 PM
THe last 2 games I remember having 6 changes were Dunfermline where we got away with a draw when we should have been 4 up in 10 minutes and Alloa the seasnon before where we won 3-1 but they tore us apart for long spells. So that always tells me that a team will struggle or fail to gel in those situations. Playing a diffenet set up also didn't help/

Many have already said, deflected first goal. Should have been 3 or 4 by the end of the first half but some poor finishing.

Second half - wasn't sure it was a pen - but posters have cleared up that they thought it was. Good finishes from Mallan and Horgan. Personnaly saw Whitaker redeamed in the defencive mid. Did his usual break up play but was not wasteful at all with passes and hit a raker out to the right wing. I saw Mallan looking for the ball the whole game and doing his best to get box to box and wing to winfg to support his teammates. Ollie's first tounch was awful today but he kept trying. Horgan got better the longer the game went on(although knackered when he went off) while Hyndman fell out a bit from an excellent first half. Neither Porteous or Ambrose look comfortable on the left side of a 4.

Thought the ref was shocking and out to wind up Neil L.

Did we play well - not really - but we are still in the cup. No midweek games so time for the trainers to get that team playing together in the roles Lennon wants them.

Bring on the sheep.

SideBurns
19-08-2018, 07:02 PM
I totally agree.

I think Porteous alluded to the fact that he gets less help from Ambrose than he does from the other defenders we have in terms of vocal instruction. The midfielders all look a bit quiet and meek at the moment too.

I honestly don't think we're far off being a very good side - stick Hanlon and McGregor at centre-half, Milligan into that midfield and Kamberi up front and all of a sudden you have a more physically and mentally tough spine to the team.

That's a great point about the spine. If you add SDG & Lewis to the right & left too, there's no way anyone can accuse us of being soft. Then your Mallans & Hyndmans of this world have the freedom to express themselves.

I think we've made some great signings - the problem is we've lost SJM, Dylan & Allan and that is always the caveat when considering how good this window has been. The future is uncertain as usual, but plenty to be excited about.

Borderhibbie76
19-08-2018, 07:15 PM
If you’ve not done so already I think it’s worth listening to Lennons post match interview.

Lennon doesn’t exactly disagree with you but he goes some way to explaining the performance.

Without seeing the performance I think we should be pretty happy tonight, performance and result next week will tell us more.Yup he almost admits he expected a performance like today with the team he picked...calculated risk but worth it to rest a few weary players. We are thru that's all that matters for now

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
19-08-2018, 07:19 PM

Funny, I would say he improved us. Opinions eh?

HibbiesandtheBaddies
19-08-2018, 07:21 PM

Sum of the parts...

Mclaren and Kamberi are the best front pairing we have had for a while.

heidtheba
19-08-2018, 07:21 PM

This, I only saw the last thirty minutes but I thought he was always available and passed it about safely, that wasn't a bad thing at that stage. I also think that this type of game could be absolutely brilliant for us. In the past I've seen us dominate games and still get horsed, here we were lacking in creativity and seemed to lack that killer pass and final bit of composure...but we still scored three AND got the result.

Smartie
19-08-2018, 07:43 PM
Sum of the parts...

Mclaren and Kamberi are the best front pairing we have had for a while.

I agree - but I think that McLaren has looked lost without a fit Kamberi up there with him.

Robbo6-2
19-08-2018, 08:25 PM
I agree - but I think that McLaren has looked lost without a fit Kamberi up there with him.

Or maybe both missing Scott Allan