18-08-2018, 11:11 PM
Lovely own goal today. Get it round you ya rocket[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

green leaves
18-08-2018, 11:14 PM
no career ending challenge?

Greentinted
18-08-2018, 11:15 PM
Watched it live...tremendous finish! Wrong end but ye cannae have everything! 🤣🤣🤣

Bishop Hibee
18-08-2018, 11:18 PM
Roaster. Disgraced the Hibs shirt. Did he ask Wolves fans where he could celebrate afterwards?

DavidDavidGray
18-08-2018, 11:27 PM
no career ending challenge?

Just about by Vardy. Very satisfying to watch.

Hermit Crab
18-08-2018, 11:54 PM
Just about by Vardy. Very satisfying to watch.

Harsh.

Centre Hawf
19-08-2018, 12:18 AM
Harsh.

Agreed. Didn't think it was a red either.

truehibernian
19-08-2018, 12:22 AM
Agreed. Didn't think it was a red either.

:greengrin didn't hit him hard enough in my opinion :aok: very very few players I would wish any ill will but he is 100% one of them :aok: if he had a brain cell he'd be dangerous (Doherty) :agree:

NAE NOOKIE
19-08-2018, 12:45 AM
Its absolutely nauseating to think that a prick like him will retire from football made for life when honest guys like Lewis Stevenson and his ilk will no doubt have to work on after they are done. Its not even that he pissed off Hibs fans, no clubs fans would tolerate the utter disrespect and disregard for their feelings he showed to us after that cup final … he cant score enough own goals to suit me :aok:

Cod Boy
19-08-2018, 12:48 AM
He doesn’t give a fk about us and vice verca move on

truehibernian
19-08-2018, 12:51 AM
Its absolutely nauseating to think that a prick like him will retire from football made for life when honest guys like Lewis Stevenson and his ilk will no doubt have to work on after they are done. Its not even that he pissed off Hibs fans, no clubs fans would tolerate the utter disrespect and disregard for their feelings he showed to us after that cup final … he cant score enough own goals to suit me :aok:

Lewy never left his house for days after that final mate, Doherty was out on the ran dan hours after - Doherty couldn't lace wee Lewy's boots even if he was allowed to. How he's made it in the game is a mystery but more to do with circumstance and the money down there - him and GOC after the final were an absolute disgrace - hence I've not got one iota of time for O'Connor either :agree:

Cod Boy
19-08-2018, 12:53 AM
Lewy never left his house for days after that final mate, Doherty was out on the ran dan hours after - Doherty couldn't lace wee Lewy's boots even if he was allowed to. How he's made it in the game is a mystery but more to do with circumstance and the money down there - him and GOC after the final were an absolute disgrace - hence I've not got one iota of time for O'Connor either :agree:

Can you explain what o Connor did cheers.

Hermit Crab
19-08-2018, 12:56 AM
Can you explain what o Connor did cheers.

Think GoC threw his medal away in disgust.

truehibernian
19-08-2018, 01:02 AM
Think GoC threw his medal away in disgust.

Didn't give a toss, went to a pub in Hanover Street, got chucked out, laughing and joking with fans about the result :aok: management asking for him to be removed :aok: I'd have curled up in a ball and not come out til August - GOC didn't give two sooks about Hibs. We paid his wage, he pretended to be a fan. (sorry HC, not replying to your post directly, but both yours and the above one).

Bam
19-08-2018, 01:04 AM
Matt Doherty is one of the few people I genuinely wish ill health and injuries on, absolute disgrace of a player and human being

Cod Boy
19-08-2018, 01:21 AM
Matt Doherty is one of the few people I genuinely wish ill health and injuries on, absolute disgrace of a player and human being

Really

Hiber-nation
19-08-2018, 07:23 AM
A few ex Hibees on the scoresheet yesterday....Soares, Osbourne, Deegan and of course Jason. Can't believe some of these guys are still playing at a decent level (not Cummings of course!).

Vault Boy
19-08-2018, 07:25 AM
Really

Pathetic, isn't it?

Michael
19-08-2018, 07:40 AM
Bit harsh. He was like 19 or something at the time.

SquashedFrogg
19-08-2018, 07:47 AM
What a weird thread to read first thing. Quite sad in some ways.

Pretty Boy
19-08-2018, 07:47 AM
Docherty was actually a decent player for us who had a nightmare, along with every other player, on that day.

His comments after were poor and he seemed a bit of a roaster but heat of the moment and all that. Was it any worse than a couple of others laughing and joking in the background? Both of whom had more emotional attachment to Hibs than some young laddie on loan.

WeeRussell
19-08-2018, 07:52 AM
Docherty was actually a decent player for us who had a nightmare, along with every other player, on that day.

His comments after were poor and he seemed a bit of a roaster but heat of the moment and all that. Was it any worse than a couple of others laughing and joking in the background? Both of whom had more emotional attachment to Hibs than soms young laddie on loan.

Ah a bit of sense and reasoning.

Wishing “ill health and injury” on the boy. Dear lord!

mayo hibee
19-08-2018, 07:55 AM
Given that it's highly unlikely that, six years on, Matt Doherty gives a flying what Hibs fans think of him, surely the best thing anyone here could do is forget about him and move on to be honest.

It worked out well for everyone in the end, Doherty's a Premier League player and Hibs won the Scottish Cup. No need for the vitriol at this stage.

RoxburghHibs
19-08-2018, 07:55 AM
Must have missed this? What did he say?

Pretty Boy
19-08-2018, 07:57 AM
Must have missed this? What did he say?

Post 2012 final he was asked if he would be back the following season. He sort of s******ed and said 'no chance'.

That's developed into crime of the century.

Juice-Terry
19-08-2018, 08:00 AM
Post 2012 final he was asked if he would be back the following season. He sort of s******ed and said 'no chance'.

That's developed into crime of the century.

Fair enough not wanting ill health on him, but the boy was a bellend of the HIGHEST order.

Scouse Hibee
19-08-2018, 08:01 AM

And you slate him? Absolute horrible thing to say about anyone.

Nicho87
He also posted on Twitter the day after that cup final he was going up town for shopping.

SquashedFrogg
Fair enough not wanting ill health on him, but the boy was a bellend of the HIGHEST order.

Of the 'highest' order? How's that?

SquashedFrogg
19-08-2018, 08:02 AM
He also posted on Twitter the day after that cup final he was going up town for shopping.

Lol Imagine that... 😂

Nicho87
19-08-2018, 08:05 AM
Lol Imagine that... 😂

It was the way it read. Not a hoot given

Pretty Boy
19-08-2018, 08:06 AM

I think he also posted 'I don't give a fk tbh'.

Not clever but a young guy had endured sustained abuse and threats of violence from grown men for most of the previous 24 hours. It's hardly a shock he reacted albeit in a pretty daft way.

we are hibs
19-08-2018, 08:26 AM
He's an absolute prick. Pretty much summed up hibs between 2010-2014 a bunch of bang average/Poor loan signings who couldn't give a **** about the club or fans

SirDavidsNapper
19-08-2018, 08:27 AM
Young guy who had zero emotional ties to Hibs. We've all been young and stupid. We've since won it and moved on to bigger and better. He's irrelevant.

GRA
19-08-2018, 08:30 AM
He's an absolute prick. Pretty much summed up hibs between 2010-2014 a bunch of bang average/Poor loan signings who couldn't give a **** about the club or fansSpot on. Worth bearing in mind when some people complain some of our signings 'aren't good enough' (Ambrose, Bogdan, etc)

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

SirDavidsNapper
19-08-2018, 08:32 AM

Doherty is a far better player than Lewis in all honesty. I'd go as far as to say Doherty is a cracking player. Like i said though it's in the past. Couldn't care less what happens to him.

Juice-Terry
19-08-2018, 08:32 AM
Of the 'highest' order? How's that?

If I need to explain, you probably wouldn't understand.

oldbutdim
19-08-2018, 08:39 AM
Doherty is a far better player than Lewis in all honesty. I'd go as far as to say Doherty is a cracking player. Like i said though it's in the past. Couldn't care less what happens to him.

Is he really?

Do you see a lot of him playing?
Presumably you don’t see a lot of Hibs playing.

hibbydog
19-08-2018, 08:41 AM
Own goal was hilarious.

I’d love to turn the other cheek and take the moral high ground about the injury, but I’ll admit to shouting a big ‘yaaaassss’ when the tackle went in on him.

Yes it’s immature and poor form, and we really should have moved on by now. It was 6 years ago. But that day in 2012 was probably the worst in our history, and few will be forgiving this utter rocket for his attitude.

Best put him down as an irrelevance and move on I suppose.

SirDavidsNapper
19-08-2018, 08:43 AM
"Is he really?

Do you see a lot of him playing?*
Presumably you don’t see a lot of Hibs playing"

Saw both at Hibs. Just my opinion. Lewis is a model pro and always been respectful so in that sense theres no contest but Docherty is a very good player.

lyonhibs
19-08-2018, 08:44 AM

Oh dear, oh dearie dearie me.

Heckys Wheel
19-08-2018, 08:47 AM
Own goal was hilarious.

I’d love to turn the other cheek and take the moral high ground about the injury, but I’ll admit to shouting a big ‘yaaaassss’ when the tackle went in on him.

Yes it’s immature and poor form, and we really should have moved on by now. It was 6 years ago. But that day in 2012 was probably the worst in our history, and few will be forgiving this utter rocket for his attitude.

Best put him down as an irrelevance and move on I suppose.

Correct but if you’re sitting watching Match of the day and the c*** is having a nightmare, just enjoy it. F*** Matt Doherty.

Pretty Boy
19-08-2018, 08:49 AM
So the conclusion from this thread is that, despite claims to the contrary, quite a few people aren't over 5-1 after all.

SirDavidsNapper
19-08-2018, 08:51 AM
Claros was a bigger culprit that day in 2012 but some folk on here idolise him. Doherty probably isn't the sharpest and didn't give a toss about us but i can't recall him ever having a bad game in a Hibs shirt.

we are hibs
19-08-2018, 08:51 AM
So the conclusion from this thread is that, despite claims to the contrary, quite a few people aren't over 5-1 after all.

Or over his disrespectful comments you mean. It wasn't heat of the moment later I am sure he had another pop at hibs fans a year later saying we weren't a big club and he couldn't give a ****.

Pretty Boy
19-08-2018, 08:54 AM
Or over his disrespectful comments you mean. It wasn't heat of the moment later I am sure he had another pop at hibs fans a year later saying we weren't a big club and he couldn't give a ****.

So what? Is my reaction.

We aren't a big club in the grand scheme of things and he probably doesn't give a ****.

That whole Calderwood, Fenlon and Butcher period is just one big mush in my head now; a load of faces and fiascos that have all jumbled together. We've moved on and I like the fact a moan now is that we might finish 4th rather than 2nd. I can't get overly worked up about Doherty or any of the other guys who pitched up for a few weeks or months in those years.

Smartie
19-08-2018, 08:57 AM
Claros was a bigger culprit that day in 2012 but some folk on here idolise him. Doherty probably isn't the sharpest and didn't give a toss about us but i can't recall him ever having a bad game in a Hibs shirt.

Claros came back and knocked his pan in for another season.

It's a decent attempt to atone for a bad performance and result that was in reality down to a number of factors.

Heckys Wheel
19-08-2018, 09:01 AM
Claros came back and knocked his pan in for another season.

It's a decent attempt to atone for a bad performance and result that was in reality down to a number of factors.

Yep, also has nothing to do with Doherty’s performances on the pitch as he was one of the better loanees, performance wise.

His attitude and subsequent social media activity was a disgrace. So I’ll happily laugh at the c*** when he has a game like yesterday.

jacomo
19-08-2018, 09:03 AM

Ah well, his loss.

Jim44
19-08-2018, 09:04 AM
Stuff Docherty. The last thing you want to do on the morning of an important game, we’re expected to win, is to fill your mind with negative thoughts of bad memories of our recent history.

we are hibs
19-08-2018, 09:05 AM

Yeah he was excellent in the cup final wasn't he. A half fit Andy driver who had barely kicked a ball all season roasted him. One of the slowest players I have ever seen in my life

Wilson
19-08-2018, 09:05 AM
We aren't a big club in the grand scheme of things and he probably doesn't give a ****.

Unfortunately, for Doherty, hibs have been and always will be bigger and far more relevant than the likes of him.

Hibs means something to so many people. Doherty is just a classless gimp - his name wont register anywhere amongst the great players that have played for this club. He might think we're small time but he doesn't figure - not even in our record books!

He is a nobody that couldn't be a somebody here. Forget him.

calumhibee1
19-08-2018, 09:09 AM

Oh dear

calumhibee1
19-08-2018, 09:10 AM
Is he really?

Do you see a lot of him playing?
Presumably you don’t see a lot of Hibs playing.

I’ve not seen a lot of him playing but I seen him 4 or 5 times last season and I think it’s safe to say, as much as we all love Lewis, that he’s probably a better player.

Heckys Wheel
19-08-2018, 09:12 AM
I’ve not seen a lot of him playing but I seen him 4 or 5 times last season and I think it’s safe to say, as much as we all love Lewis, that he’s probably a better player.

You’re in a cup final and you can pick Lewis or Doherty.

Who do you pick?

superbam
19-08-2018, 09:16 AM
I met Stephen Hunt, a mate of his, in Wexford a few years back. He said he hated Hibs because of "what the fans did to Matt Doherty"

Wilson
19-08-2018, 09:19 AM

Who do you pick?

Hmmm.

Mr. Hibs or Mr. **** hibs.

Surely this shouldn't take too long to answer? :greengrin

calumhibee1
19-08-2018, 09:26 AM

Who do you pick?

Lewis is probably my favourite ever Hibs player and you know he’ll never let you down so I’d pick him. Ask the same question to a fan of any other team however and I doubt it’ll be particularly close. I’m trying to be objective, the guy was obviously a bellend at us, but I’m trying to take that out of the equation.

Hiber-nation
19-08-2018, 09:43 AM
Some ridiculous comments on this thread, from somebody saying Doherty never had a bad game to others wishing him serious injury.

Daft laddie did something stupid. That's where it should end.

Beefster
19-08-2018, 09:45 AM
This thread is like stumbling onto Twitter. Horrific. Folk with no sense of proportion wishing ill health or injury on someone for something they said in the heat of the moment, six years ago, as a teenager.

calumhibee1
19-08-2018, 09:52 AM
This thread is like stumbling onto Twitter. Horrific. Folk with no sense of proportion wishing ill health or injury on someone for something they said in the heat of the moment, six years ago, as a teenager.

Yup. Poor patter.

Viva_Palmeiras
19-08-2018, 09:54 AM
The Villa fans must be thinking we’ve a split personality element amongst us...

ac1
19-08-2018, 09:55 AM
That period was one of the worst times to be a Hibs fan. Hearts spending money they 'would just pay back to themselves' under Romanov and lording it over us playing with tons of players shipped in on loan who genuinely did not give a **** about the club or the fans.

The thing with Doherty is he was just young and stupid enough to come out with what they were all feeling in the dressing room but it summed him up. He should have known how hurt the fans would be losing to Hearts like that in a cup final that we had not won in over a hundred years even if he was only 19 at the time.

Hermit Crab
19-08-2018, 09:57 AM
Lock thread? :dunno:

Smartie
19-08-2018, 09:57 AM

Alex Cropley, Des Bremner, John McGinn and now an irrational and way over the top dislike of a Wolves player.

I bet they think we're cool as...

Tomsk
19-08-2018, 10:00 AM
Lock thread? :dunno:

Why? For people expressing an opinion?

overdrive
19-08-2018, 10:07 AM
I thought he was a decent player but at the time, I much preferred Francombe. Obviously Doherty has gone on to have a much better career than Francombe so in hindsight I was wrong on that one.

He was a welt after that cup final. IIRC he didn’t get off to a great start either. I remember an interview he did with Hibs TV on the night he signed. Had a face like thunder as if he’d been forced to go on loan against his will and kept referring to us as Hearts.

Hermit Crab
19-08-2018, 10:12 AM

Wishing ill health, serious injury or death is ok? :confused:

Smartie
19-08-2018, 10:31 AM
I just saw the highlights on Goals on Sunday. My thoughts -

The goal was hilarious and I cheered big time when it went in.

The tackle by Vardy was horrendous, and Doherty was lucky not to be very seriously injured. I got no pleasure from seeing that whatsoever.

You're looking at an expensively put together Wolves side, and Doherty's holding his own amongst some major signings at the top level. Fair play to the boy for carving out a very good career for himself.

I used to go for all of the "Doherty is this, Doherty is that" chat, until I sat and watched the video of what he actually said on the video, which was fairly innocuous (certainly compared the the s******ing and chuckling of O'Connor, Murray and the like). A few silly comments on twitter as a teenager whilst being subjected to a tirade of abuse by thousands of people who were clearly hurting.

He was poor on that day (as were many others) but he was a decent player for us who didn't lack commitment. It it wasn't for the likes of him, we may well have been relegated that year.

We need to let this go.

NadeAteMyLunch!
19-08-2018, 10:34 AM

Nah they will probably be warming to us more, they hate Wolves [emoji51]

Tomsk
19-08-2018, 10:36 AM

I don't agree with those on views, although I think they're more like to be stated for effect rather than genuinely held beliefs. Also, I don't recall anyone wishing actual death.

But these are opinions. Unsavoury, silly and not thought through -- in my opinion -- but opinions nonetheless.

Just because I don't agree with them doesn't mean they should be closed down.

NadeAteMyLunch!
19-08-2018, 10:38 AM
I thought he was a decent player but at the time, I much preferred Francombe. Obviously Doherty has gone on to have a much better career than Francombe so in hindsight I was wrong on that one.

He was a welt after that cup final. IIRC he didn’t get off to a great start either. I remember an interview he did with Hibs TV on the night he signed. Had a face like thunder as if he’d been forced to go on loan against his will and kept referring to us as Hearts.

I remember saying at half time that Francombe should be brought on for Kujabi as he was on a booking and was up against that diver Suso. 90 seconds into the second half and, well the rest is history.

BoomtownHibees
19-08-2018, 10:38 AM

Death?? Who has wished that on him?

Hermit Crab
19-08-2018, 10:44 AM
Death?? Who has wished that on him?

Wishing serious ill health on someone, could that be conceived to be fatal illnesses?

heidtheba
19-08-2018, 10:45 AM
Couldn't stand him after his comments on that final. Hated him.
But then, after seeing some of the comments on this thread, no, I didn't 'hate' him. He was a footballer who didn't want to lose a match, lost a match and then, at the age of 19 made some comments on TV and on Twitter which weren't brilliantly well thought out.
Yes it was a big match. Yes it hurt (until 2016) and yes it didn't reflect well on him. But to wish him injury? No, that's not what I'd want at all.

lyonhibs
19-08-2018, 10:48 AM
Wishing serious ill health on someone, could that be conceived to be fatal illnesses?

Only if you're prone to melodrama.

***** patter nonetheless of course

kaimendhibs
19-08-2018, 10:54 AM
I started this thread. Didn't wish him harm or death or anything like that. Just delighted he scored an own goal.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Hibbyradge
19-08-2018, 11:58 AM

Shocking.

cleanyman
19-08-2018, 12:03 PM
Fair play to Doherty.

After 2012 he's went on and had a great career. Doubt Hibs nor the fans bile will even bother him now.

Wilson
19-08-2018, 12:13 PM
Fair play to Doherty.

After 2012 he's went on and had a great career. Doubt Hibs nor the fans bile will even bother him now.

You'll have to enlighten me. I read his wiki page and his career doesn't look that great. Especially for a guy so arrogant.

Average career shall we say?

Smartie
19-08-2018, 12:17 PM
You'll have to enlighten me. I read his wiki page and his career doesn't look that great. Especially for a guy so arrogant.

Yesterday he was halved by an England international in a game against a team who won the league a few years ago in England's top flight, one of the strongest leagues in Europe.

How have the respective careers of Roy O'Donovan, Isiah Osbourne, Pa Kujabi, Tom Soares, Garry O'Connor and Mark Brown gone since that fateful day?

He's done ok.

Wilson
19-08-2018, 12:27 PM
Yesterday he was halved by an England international in a game against a team who won the league a few years ago in England's top flight, one of the strongest leagues in Europe.

How have the respective careers of Roy O'Donovan, Isiah Osbourne, Pa Kujabi, Tom Soares, Garry O'Connor and Mark Brown gone since that fateful day?

He's done ok.

Getting halved by someone who has had a great career isn't the same as having a great career.

If you spin it enough he has done okay. He has never been as big a superstar as he seemed to think he was.

Still. Better than Kujabi will do him as an epitaph.

Smartie
19-08-2018, 12:34 PM
Getting halved by someone who has had a great career isn't the same as having a great career.

If you spin it enough he has done okay. He has never been as big a superstar as he seemed to think he was.

Still. Better than Kujabi will do him as an epitaph.

How many players to have played for Hibs within the last 5-10 years will play in the English Premier League?

How many will hold their own in a big spending Premier League side?

How many will be first team regulars in the Championship for several years and eventually win that league?

Relatively speaking, that should now be considered to be a bit of an achievement and a good career, sadly.

FilipinoHibs
19-08-2018, 12:43 PM

So glad won the cup later and became our only double winner in history and his Scottish caps. He has gained a yard of pace and great delivery. Only 5 foot 7 but a tenacious battler. When saw him as a young player he reminded me of the Tornadoes.

Paisley Hibby
19-08-2018, 12:45 PM

That's a seriously scary viewpoint mate - and even scarier is that it seems there are a few other people you wish the same for. If you get that worked up about football I dread to think what you're like about things that really matter in life.

lyonhibs
19-08-2018, 12:58 PM

He's loved at Wolves and a regular in a team that invested heavily over the summer, now playing in the EPL. "Great" is maybe pushing it in one direction, but so is "average" in the other.

Long may he continue to score comedy ogs though.

Allant1981
19-08-2018, 01:28 PM

appropriate username

Beefster
19-08-2018, 02:44 PM
Shocking.

It is shocking. I had a cooked breakfast and a w*** the morning after that cup final. I didn’t feel the need to announce it on Twitter like that tosspot, Doherty, though.

WestStandWillie
19-08-2018, 05:16 PM

Spot on.

JimBHibees
20-08-2018, 10:23 AM
I just saw the highlights on Goals on Sunday. My thoughts -

The goal was hilarious and I cheered big time when it went in.

The tackle by Vardy was horrendous, and Doherty was lucky not to be very seriously injured. I got no pleasure from seeing that whatsoever.

You're looking at an expensively put together Wolves side, and Doherty's holding his own amongst some major signings at the top level. Fair play to the boy for carving out a very good career for himself.

I used to go for all of the "Doherty is this, Doherty is that" chat, until I sat and watched the video of what he actually said on the video, which was fairly innocuous (certainly compared the the s******ing and chuckling of O'Connor, Murray and the like). A few silly comments on twitter as a teenager whilst being subjected to a tirade of abuse by thousands of people who were clearly hurting.

He was poor on that day (as were many others) but he was a decent player for us who didn't lack commitment. It it wasn't for the likes of him, we may well have been relegated that year.

We need to let this go.

Totally agree with that. His attitude probably reflected the shambles the club was at that time. Were the players not arguing over (win bonuses - no s******ing at the back) the day before the game.

calumhibee1
20-08-2018, 10:25 AM

He's done ok.

I’m going to hazard a guess this is a good thing but I have absolutely no recollection of a guy called Roy O’Donovan even though he played 16 games for us according to Wiki!

WeeRussell
20-08-2018, 11:31 AM
I'd like to think grown men aren't holding a grudge against me and hoping my career goes to pot.. when I think of all the silly things I said or done as a teenager. I mean I didn't do anything as outrageous as go to a shop the day after a losing cup final but I still behaved in a regrettable manner at times.

HoboHarry
20-08-2018, 11:46 AM
I’m going to hazard a guess this is a good thing but I have absolutely no recollection of a guy called Roy O’Donovan even though he played 16 games for us according to Wiki!
Scored a peach of a goal for us IIRC - maybe against Kilmarnock?

basehibby
20-08-2018, 04:09 PM
Doherty acted like a total prick in the aftermath of that cup final and deserved the vitriol he got at the time for his idiotic and disrespectful comments.

A lot of water under the bridge since then though - and one Scottish Cup won by Hibernian. Hopefully he learned his lesson and some humility from the experience but ultimately I really could not give a toss. He's just a dim and distant piece of mediocrity from a long forgotten bad dream.

ian cruise
20-08-2018, 04:25 PM
What a weird thread to read first thing. Quite sad in some ways.

Indeed. Think this thread should be kept as a reminder every time folk get high and mighty about this site compared to kickback. Funnily enough I'm sure some of the more "severe" reactions are posters I've seen making extremely derogatory remarks about the quality of posting over there.

brog
20-08-2018, 04:38 PM
Indeed. Think this thread should be kept as a reminder every time folk get high and mighty about this site compared to kickback. Funnily enough I'm sure some of the more "severe" reactions are posters I've seen making extremely derogatory remarks about the quality of posting over there.

Absolutely! MD was a 20 year old when he played for us in a desperate team. He played 13 games for us & scored twice, IIRC he opened the scoring in the vital relegation game versus Pars. Since then he's played nearly 200 games for Wolves, is a full cap & is playing in the EPL, not really mediocrity! He made some dumb comments 6 years ago, I read as much rubbish on here every day. Time to move on.

The_Horde
20-08-2018, 08:54 PM
Nowt wrong with Vardy's challenge. Good to see the conference side in him.

patlowe
20-08-2018, 09:01 PM
Watching EFL highlights is great fun for hearing familiar names from our darker years. Osborne scored at the weekend in League 1, while I heard a commentator describe Filipe Morais as a "livewire". Always interesting to see guys that don't hack it up here for whatever reason then go on to have good careers down south. Successful Scottish players failing down south is used as a stick to beat our game with but the inverse is rarely acknowledged.

Mango Man
20-08-2018, 09:36 PM
Watching EFL highlights is great fun for hearing familiar names from our darker years. Osborne scored at the weekend in League 1, while I heard a commentator describe Filipe Morais as a "livewire". Always interesting to see guys that don't hack it up here for whatever reason then go on to have good careers down south. Successful Scottish players failing down south is used as a stick to beat our game with but the inverse is rarely acknowledged.

I really did think Osborne had the potential to be a cracking player, showed wee glimpses, just didn't have the desire.

SideBurns
20-08-2018, 09:59 PM
I suppose this thread is a further indication of what we already knew - that we have some @rseholes in our support, but most are decent people with a sense of proportion and perspective.

Just like the vast majority of other football clubs, really.

Stevie Reid
20-08-2018, 10:15 PM
Indeed. Think this thread should be kept as a reminder every time folk get high and mighty about this site compared to kickback.

Was going to make a similar point myself when reading this thread.

NAE NOOKIE
20-08-2018, 10:21 PM
Lets get some perspective here. To wish injury, or worse illness, on another human being over football is pathetic .. I have absolutely no time for that, none!

But sorry I'm not buying the daft laddie bit about Doherty either. As a guy who had played over 50 professional games before joining Hibs and being steeped in football since he was a youngster, by the age of 20 he absolutely must have been aware of what that game meant to the Hibs support ( to the fans of any club facing their derby rivals in a cup final ) its not as if there wasn't enough Hibs supporting players around the club, not to mention the saturation press coverage in the fortnight before, to ensure he was in no doubt as to what was at stake.

After the teams total capitulation, of which he was a part, he must have known there would be a backlash and the best thing to do was offer a grovelling apology and bugger off back to where he came from …. instead he chose to make comments giving the distinct impression that he couldn't have cared less about the result, about Hibs as a club or about its supporters who had been let down so badly.

As an event in the clubs history I do genuinely think the vast majority of Hibs fans have filed it away … I for one can barely remember a thing about the game, and I stayed to the bitter end, and I am pretty ambivalent even to the guys who did play that day. In all honesty they weren't prepared to be in a cup final and they were against a team that shouldn't have been on the park … all might not be forgiven, but time has tempered any ill will towards them. I could even be happy for any of the players who went on to have decent careers afterwards … they didn't mean to be rubbish on the day after all.

But not Doherty, he is right up there with Calderwood for me. I can tolerate poor players, I can tolerate poor managers … some folk just aren't as good as you hoped they would be either on the pitch or managing the team, that's football …. what I cant accept is folk who don't try or who disrespect the club and especially the folk who support it …. in 40 years only two people have fallen into that category and Doherty is one of them ….. so own goals galore please.

jacomo
20-08-2018, 10:31 PM

Very true.

nonshinyfinish
21-08-2018, 10:39 AM

I remember ROD, but I had to look up George Francomb. Backs up Pretty Boy’s point earlier in the thread that 2010–2014 is a bit of a blur.

MrRobot
21-08-2018, 11:09 AM
Honestly, why is this guy still of any relevance to some people?

Adults holding a petty grudge against a former footballer who was only here on loan and made some daft comments. He was like 20 ffs, get over it.

FilipinoHibs
21-08-2018, 01:35 PM
Honestly, why is this guy still of any relevance to some people?

Adults holding a petty grudge against a former footballer who was only here on loan and made some daft comments. He was like 20 ffs, get over it.

If we were still in mire then explainable. But we have risen like a Phoenix from the ashes to new highs. Personally don't give a **** about him. Bigger things to worry about.

johncrobertson@
21-08-2018, 06:15 PM
The guy is a moron and a prat with no class whatsoever. He will have to live with that for the rest of his life - forget him and move on - he will never be class, never mind Hibs class

IberianHibernian
21-08-2018, 07:52 PM
I was disappointed when I read the a lot of the comments at the beginning of this thread , disappointed but not surprised given some of the other comments I`ve read here about MD since he played for us . Fortunately a lot of the comments since have shown that most fans don`t hold a grudge about some comments that a teenager may have made after an important defeat .
What is really sad is that he was a really good player for us who played a major part in us avoiding relegation and getting to our first SC final for 11 years while in his teens . At the time I thought he was our best right back for many years and certainly better than any we`ve had since ( aware that team set ups have changed over the years ) so not surprised that he seems to have done well since . Here there are often generalisations about managers and signings - to simplify , all signings by Mowbray / Stubbs / Lennon ... were good and all signings by Calderwood / Fenlon / Butcher were bad and Matt Doherty is a very good example of how that is simply not true . In most cases anyway , managers probably had less influence on signings than we think though in the case of MD I think Fenlon had known him for several years . Anyway , if MD goes on to have a successful career at club and international level I`ll be happy to remember fact he played for us and would welcome him back at ER any time .

Dashing Bob S
21-08-2018, 08:23 PM
Been tracing his genealogy and it turns out he’s Peter Houston’s nephew...

WeeRussell
22-08-2018, 04:32 PM
The guy is a moron and a prat with no class whatsoever. He will have to live with that for the rest of his life - forget him and move on - he will never be class, never mind Hibs class

I think he might manage to live with how things are going for him. He’s bound to have moved on better than some on here anyway.

Good grief.

WeeRussell
22-08-2018, 04:34 PM
I was disappointed when I read the a lot of the comments at the beginning of this thread , disappointed but not surprised given some of the other comments I`ve read here about MD since he played for us . Fortunately a lot of the comments since have shown that most fans don`t hold a grudge about some comments that a teenager may have made after an important defeat .
What is really sad is that he was a really good player for us who played a major part in us avoiding relegation and getting to our first SC final for 11 years while in his teens . At the time I thought he was our best right back for many years and certainly better than any we`ve had since ( aware that team set ups have changed over the years ) so not surprised that he seems to have done well since . Here there are often generalisations about managers and signings - to simplify , all signings by Mowbray / Stubbs / Lennon ... were good and all signings by Calderwood / Fenlon / Butcher were bad and Matt Doherty is a very good example of how that is simply not true . In most cases anyway , managers probably had less influence on signings than we think though in the case of MD I think Fenlon had known him for several years . Anyway , if MD goes on to have a successful career at club and international level I`ll be happy to remember fact he played for us and would welcome him back at ER any time .

Although I don’t agree with how highly you rated the guy in terms of his time at hibs, that’s a decent post. Sensible and honest.

johncrobertson@
22-08-2018, 04:42 PM
I think he might manage to live with how things are going for him. He’s bound to have moved on better than some on here anyway.

Good grief.
Totally agree with you, let’s move on!

lapsedhibee
23-08-2018, 12:52 PM

Possible. Some trace on high-res images of Houston

of the full horns-and-tail set which Doherty apparently sports.

GreenArmyyy!
23-08-2018, 01:01 PM
Scored a peach of a goal for us IIRC - maybe against Kilmarnock?

Ayr away in the Scottish cup quarter final I think. Griffiths literally burst the net with a penalty as well if I remember correctly. Cracking day under the terracing.

GreenArmyyy!
23-08-2018, 01:03 PM

Matt Doherty was never in a million years the best player in a shocking Hibs side. Actually preferred George Francomb at the time who incidentally now plays for Crawley town so what do I know!

Smartie
23-08-2018, 01:42 PM

Surely if that was the case then he'd have spent the aftermath of the cup final pissing and moaning about Hearts' Budget?

basehibby
23-08-2018, 04:16 PM

:rotflmao::hilarious:hilarious:crazy: You've totally got to be joking - better than Sir David of Gray ?!?!? On pure footballing abilities I would heartily disagree anyway - but even if Doherty was a more capable footballer than SDG, from the evidence shown to this Hibs fan he has the heart of a maggot by comparison and all the leadership qualities of a discarded crisp packet. And as for class - how do you assess something which does not exist???

:na na: to MD - keep the OGs coming lols.

Jones28
23-08-2018, 04:43 PM

For people wishing a career ending injuries on a player who is, at worst, irrelevant?