PDA

View Full Version : Steve Sidwell

broondog
17-08-2018, 10:47 PM
On his way to Edinburgh to discuss terms with Neil Lennon. Just passing this on from someone I know who works at the club. Not sure how we can afford him as I am sure I recall him playing in the premiership recently. Even if he is getting on a bit would be a great acquisition and would bring good experience to a weakened midfield.

Hermit Crab
17-08-2018, 10:52 PM
Ok, I'll bite.

1, he's 35.

2, he's played 1 game in 24 months.

3, he missed all of last season with ankle and back injuries.

4, he's not what we should be looking for.

5, I think you've been fed porkies.

SRHibs
17-08-2018, 10:53 PM
Ok, I'll bite.

1, he's 35.

3, he missed all off last season with ankle and back injuries.

On the other hand:

He’s Neil Lennon’s doppelgänger.

Done deal.

Hermit Crab
17-08-2018, 10:54 PM
On the other hand:

Done deal.

:tee hee:

tonyrougier123
17-08-2018, 10:54 PM
Good player 6 year ago,excellent player 10 year ago! Now not so sure like.

broondog
17-08-2018, 10:58 PM
Ok, I'll bite.

1, he's 35.

3, he missed all of last season with ankle and back injuries.

That may be the case but if he's fit now I would take him based on his experience and calibre. Very little chance the info is bad here. we will see in the next 48 hours.

Hermit Crab
17-08-2018, 11:00 PM
That may be the case but if he's fit now I would take him based on his experience and calibre. Very little chance the info is bad here. we will see in the next 48 hours.

Not doubting you or your source. I personally hope we are not looking at him for the reasons I posted, bearing in mind he missed all of last season, I very much doubt he's fit and ready to go.

sambajustice
17-08-2018, 11:02 PM
Toure Yaya

nonshinyfinish
17-08-2018, 11:03 PM
On the other hand:

Done deal.

Only if you think all gingers look the same. Racist.

King Cosell
17-08-2018, 11:56 PM
Played 35 games in Brighton's 2016/17 promotion season. If fit, I'd give him a year. 35 is the new 30.

basehibby
18-08-2018, 12:21 AM
Played 35 games in Brighton's 2016/17 promotion season. If fit, I'd give him a year. 35 is the new 30.

Could be a Kenny Miller / Craig Brewster who's looked after himself and still has plenty to offer - or could be a Sheffi Kuqui / Edwin Van DeGraff who'll be blowing out his arse after 30 seconds.

If the former then could help fill the gap left by McGinn & McGeough in the short term.

Hi Heid Yin
18-08-2018, 12:29 AM
We made a mistake with Whittaker both on the park (past-his-sell-by-date)and off it (financial hit) and the thought of making another doesn't bare thinking about.
What does a 35 year old guy, who has played at a much higher level but has been unable to hit those heights due to recent injuries, have left to prove or fight for?
Give me someone younger and hungrier any day.

I'm Spartacus
18-08-2018, 12:32 AM
Could be a Kenny Miller / Craig Brewster who's looked after himself and still has plenty to offer - or could be a Sheffi Kuqui / Edwin Van DeGraff who'll be blowing out his arse after 30 seconds.

If the former then could help fill the gap left by McGinn & McGeough in the short term.

This made me LOL. We'd need Kevin De Bryune to fill the gap left by those 2!!! ;)

Ozyhibby
18-08-2018, 12:36 AM
Please no. This would turn out just as bad as Whittaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
18-08-2018, 01:12 AM

Up there when Ray Wilkins signed when he was about 40!

Jones28
18-08-2018, 05:51 AM
We made a mistake with Whittaker both on the park (past-his-sell-by-date)and off it (financial hit) and the thought of making another doesn't bare thinking about.
What does a 35 year old guy, who has played at a much higher level but has been unable to hit those heights due to recent injuries, have left to prove or fight for?
Give me someone younger and hungrier any day.

Someone younger and hungrier could cost three or four times that of Sidwell.

If he's fit and willing give him a chance, like others have said just because he's old he doesn't have to be written off.

Since90+2
18-08-2018, 05:54 AM

He was a far better player than Whittaker when they were both in their prime. One thing he will still have is positional sense and the ability to organise a midfield with abit of leadership , that's what we have been lacking.

Fuzzywuzzy
18-08-2018, 06:00 AM
Usain bolt is training with the central coast Mariners. We missed out on him!! I jest of course. At 32, trying to win a contract but sure I read he is look for a chunk of wedge for the privilege

bingo70
18-08-2018, 06:09 AM
He was a far better player than Whittaker when they were both in their prime. One thing he will still have is positional sense and the ability to organise a midfield with abit of leadership , that's what we have been lacking.

Exactly.

If he does sign I’m sure it won’t have passed Lennon by how old Sidwell is and his injury problems he had last season.

Just because signing one older player hasn’t really worked it doesn’t mean all older players signing won’t work.

neil7908
18-08-2018, 06:19 AM
Exactly.

If he does sign I’m sure it won’t have passed Lennon by how old Sidwell is and his injury problems he had last season.

Just because signing one older player hasn’t really worked it doesn’t mean all older players signing won’t work.

Fair enough but I think midfield is an area where its pretty rare for players to continue into their mid 30s and still be effective.

Goalkeepers, central defenders and target men are different but for me, you really need everyone in midfield to be able to put in a shift and given his age and injury record, Sidwell wouldn't be one of that would excite me much.

Of course if Lennon does brings him in he'd get my backing but I'm not sure he's what we need right now.

I'm_cabbaged
18-08-2018, 06:22 AM
Tbh is he’s lost 1/2 a yard I think he would still stroll most of the spl games. I’m not putting him in the bracket as le god but a good footballing head is worth 2 yards 😉

Godsahibby
18-08-2018, 06:23 AM
Up there when Ray Wilkins signed when he was about 40!

And we remember how well that season went!

neil7908
18-08-2018, 06:26 AM
Tbh is he’s lost 1/2 a yard I think he would still stroll most of the spl games. I’m not putting him in the bracket as le god but a good footballing head is worth 2 yards 😉

Sauzee is an interesting comparison. Clearly an absolutely magnificent player but even he recognised that he had to move back into a sweeper role at the end of his time with us.

No issue signing experience but unless your Pirlo, I don't think central midfield is an area for guys a step away from retirement.

Heisenberg
18-08-2018, 06:37 AM
Hardly sounds like he’s fit and raring to go.

https://talksport.com/football/401574/this-could-be-me-done-steve-sidwell-admits-he-is-contemplating-retirement-after-back-surgery/

I'm_cabbaged
18-08-2018, 06:39 AM
Sauzee is an interesting comparison. Clearly an absolutely magnificent player but even he recognised that he had to move back into a sweeper role at the end of his time with us.

No issue signing experience but unless your Pirlo, I don't think central midfield is an area for guys a step away from retirement.

What I’m trying to say is if he’s there to break up play a good player doesn’t necessarily has to be as fast as his opponents, look at Bartley, not the fastest by any stretch of the imagination but does his job well.

Heisenberg
18-08-2018, 06:41 AM
I think we definitley need some experience in the midfield (that isn’t Whittaker). Not sure Sidwell is the answer give his situation though.

PatHead
18-08-2018, 06:43 AM
Typical. We actually get a rumour and it isn’t on the rumour thread. 😀

bingo70
18-08-2018, 07:26 AM
Fair enough but I think midfield is an area where its pretty rare for players to continue into their mid 30s and still be effective.

Goalkeepers, central defenders and target men are different but for me, you really need everyone in midfield to be able to put in a shift and given his age and injury record, Sidwell wouldn't be one of that would excite me much.

Of course if Lennon does brings him in he'd get my backing but I'm not sure he's what we need right now.

I don’t have an issue with people having reservations about him signing, it’s completely understandable and this is the place to discuss them.

I just don’t understand people that completely write players off, as if Lennon won’t have considered his age and lack of games last season. Of course Lennon would have the same concerns but if we do sign him he must be confident enough he can do a job.

How old was Jody Morris when he was at st Johnstone? On the face of it IMO the signings could be comparable and I always thought he was class for them.

Allant1981
18-08-2018, 07:29 AM
I don’t have an issue with people having reservations about him signing, it’s completely understandable and this is the place to discuss them.

I just don’t understand people that completely write players off, as if Lennon won’t have considered his age and lack of games last season. Of course Lennon would have the same concerns but if we do sign him he must be confident enough he can do a job.

How old was Jody Morris when he was at st Johnstone? On the face of it IMO the signings could be comparable and I always thought he was class for them.

pretty sure jody morris was only about 29/30 when he signed for st johnstone, and wasnt coming back from a very serious operation

theonlywayisup
18-08-2018, 07:29 AM
Typical. We actually get a rumour and it isn’t on the rumour thread. 😀

That's good - that's a car crash of a thread.

Sweet Left Peg
18-08-2018, 07:30 AM
Only if you think all gingers look the same. Racist.

Only a ginger can call another ginger ginger...

That's OUR word!

bingo70
18-08-2018, 07:34 AM
pretty sure jody morris was only about 29/30 when he signed for st johnstone, and wasnt coming back from a very serious operation

I’m guessing for St Johnstone to be able to sign him he must have been out the picture somewhere for a good while?

Anyway, I’m not saying it’s exactly the same, just think there may be a few comparisons to be had.

J-C
18-08-2018, 07:44 AM
Maybe he's just up here for the festival

theonlywayisup
18-08-2018, 07:45 AM
That's good - that's a car crash of a thread.

Just had a look at the Summer Transfer thread and it's still the same - loads of bickering about nothing to do with transfers and zero rumours.

Think admins should do us a favour and him it. Better to start individual threads like the old days.

nonshinyfinish
18-08-2018, 07:51 AM
Just had a look at the Summer Transfer thread and it's still the same - loads of bickering about nothing to do with transfers and zero rumours.

Think admins should do us a favour and him it. Better to start individual threads like the old days.

Close it maybe, but not delete it. The bleed green saga should be preserved for future historians to puzzle over.

heretoday
18-08-2018, 07:53 AM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Let him cross the town and join the Jumbos!

bigwheel
18-08-2018, 07:56 AM
If Lenny and team feel he can do a job, then I’ll trust their view...

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2018, 08:02 AM
If Lenny and team feel he can do a job, then I’ll trust their view...

:agree: If he's sheite, then we will see if he signs, if he's good and someone who's coming in for a short while to help out, then he's hardly going to get a huge deal somewhere else.

Its a look and see, nothing to lose in my opinion.

Eyrie
18-08-2018, 09:19 AM
What I’m trying to say is if he’s there to break up play a good player doesn’t necessarily has to be as fast as his opponents, look at Bartley, not the fastest by any stretch of the imagination but does his job well.

Bartley reads the game well which enables him to be in the right position rather than needing to use speed to compensate for being out of position.

Sidwell would have the same attributes but unlike Bartley won't slow the game down when we're in possession.

calumhibee1
18-08-2018, 09:28 AM
Hardly sounds like he’s fit and raring to go.

https://talksport.com/football/401574/this-could-be-me-done-steve-sidwell-admits-he-is-contemplating-retirement-after-back-surgery/

I get that he could recover but if he’s publicly coming out and saying that then I’d be steering well clear.

we are hibs
18-08-2018, 09:30 AM
The same people saying he is too old probably wanted Kenny Miller a few months back

calumhibee1
18-08-2018, 09:36 AM
The same people saying he is too old probably wanted Kenny Miller a few months back

Kenny Miller played 23 games last year.

I’m not really bothered about his age in isolation, if he’d played most games last season then it would be a different story. But at his age it can be hard to pick up where you left off if you’ve not played for a full year. That is more the issue rather than just the fact he’s 35. Once you get into your 30s serious injuries are a lot more difficult to come back from.

makaveli1875
18-08-2018, 09:39 AM
I think this rumour can be filed away with the McGinn to Everton and the Jordy Hiwula had a medical nonsense

O'Rourke3
18-08-2018, 09:45 AM
Bartley gets injured and we need cover. Do you A throw the guys on the edge of the team in who is rumoured to be leaving? B Take a chance on a transfer new signing. C Determine if there is suitable short term cover while you look at the bigger picture? Commons and Holt split the opinion on this board. If he comes, so will SS. Either way I'm happy to see him here if the professionals at the club, the ones paid to take these decisions, reckon he's worth it.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
18-08-2018, 09:59 AM
Bartley gets injured and we need cover. Do you A throw the guys on the edge of the team in who is rumoured to be leaving? B Take a chance on a transfer new signing. C Determine if there is suitable short term cover while you look at the bigger picture? Commons and Holt split the opinion on this board. If he comes, so will SS. Either way I'm happy to see him here if the professionals at the club, the ones paid to take these decisions, reckon he's worth it.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

We needed a couple of midfielders before Bartley got injured. We shouldn’t be looking for cover for him either. It should be an upgrade on Bartley we are looking for. If we are in a position where we are trying to get cover for someone who couldn’t get a game last year, it could be a long season.

Hibeewilly
18-08-2018, 10:06 AM
We needed a couple of midfielders before Bartley got injured. We shouldn’t be looking for cover for him either. It should be an upgrade on Bartley we are looking for. If we are in a position where we are trying to get cover for someone who couldn’t get a game last year, it could be a long season.
Spot on

Borderhibbie76
18-08-2018, 11:25 AM
We needed a couple of midfielders before Bartley got injured. We shouldn’t be looking for cover for him either. It should be an upgrade on Bartley we are looking for. If we are in a position where we are trying to get cover for someone who couldn’t get a game last year, it could be a long season.Very true and it's ridiculous we still haven't replaced Dylan considering he left 3 months ago and we knew long before that he was off...

Hibs bang on about the recruitment policy and identifying of targets so I'd be interesting to hear why we havent been able to recruit a Dylan style replacement as yet??

Don't get me wrong we've done some good business this summer but we've so far failed where we need it the most in the middle of the park

I also think we could be doing with another striker...a big lump we can chuck on when we are chasing games

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Diclonius
18-08-2018, 12:03 PM
Paying a 35 year old megabucks to sit in midfield (sometimes) and be injured until he retires after a year. No thanks.

BoomtownHibees
18-08-2018, 12:06 PM
Paying a 35 year old megabucks to sit in midfield (sometimes) and be injured until he retires after a year. No thanks.

How much will we be paying him?

Pretty Boy
18-08-2018, 12:08 PM
If Sidwell is better than what we have then great.

I've seen nothing of him in years so it's a wait and see job for me. He was a very good player from what I can remember of him.

SquashedFrogg
18-08-2018, 12:15 PM

What wages will he be on? When is he due his next injury?

Silky
18-08-2018, 12:27 PM

It's a hard one. It could be worth a short-term deal to have a look and see. I don't bother about how old he is. I remember when Prozinecki (I think that's how it's spelt) used to just sit in the middle of the park spraying passes around. Legs had gone but brain was still very much there. Sometimes the football brain is more valuable than youthful exuberance.

KeithTheHibby
18-08-2018, 12:37 PM
Remember Grant Holt? Remember his age?
Might want to hold off writing anyone off based on their age.

Allant1981
18-08-2018, 12:38 PM

in all honesty though was grant holt really that good? ill probably be in the minority but didnt think he was that good

Lago
18-08-2018, 12:43 PM
If Sidwell is better than what we have then great.

I've seen nothing of him in years so it's a wait and see job for me. He was a very good player from what I can remember of him.
But by his own admission he is only just in rehab how long before he is fully fit, sorry but no from me.

Hibbyradge
18-08-2018, 12:46 PM
Craig Brewster, who was never in Sidwell's class, played full time until he was 40, and then he had spells with Dundee United and Aberdeen. He had lost his pace, and his legs were "gone", but his head was faster than ever. I remember wishing that we had kept him.

Franck Sauzee played for us when he was 35 and only quit when he became manager. I'd have had him playing for another couple of years.

Whether or not this rumour is true, writing a player off when you have no idea of his current ability or fitness is kneejerk and guesswork.

Every player joining Hibs will be given a medical and a fitness test so let's not jump the gun before we see him playing.

I love the idea of an old head in the team getting the ball and feeding it to the energetic youngsters.

Gaffer1875
18-08-2018, 12:47 PM
I’d give him a year, could be decent for us.

Diclonius
18-08-2018, 12:49 PM

We didn't sign Grant Holt as a replacement for two of the best players we've had in a decade.

CapitalGreen
18-08-2018, 12:54 PM

“megabucks” - 😂 bloody hell, take a day off mate

calumhibee1
18-08-2018, 12:55 PM

To be fair, I doubt he’d be coming up here to earn anything less than towards the top end of our wage structure. So it is megabucks when you’re talking about Hibs.

R'Albin
18-08-2018, 12:56 PM
We didn't sign Grant Holt as a replacement for two of the best players we've had in a decade.

We aren't going to sign a direct replacement, though. Lennon has signed two central midfielders who are both more attack minded than McGinn and McGeouch. The best way to balance out our midfield is to sign an out and out defensive midfielder which we didn't need to play with as often last year. It's not about replacing them directly, but signing a player that will play a specific role to improve our current squad of players.

Diclonius
18-08-2018, 12:57 PM

His last five clubs were Chelsea, Villa, Fulham, Stoke and Brighton. He won't even consider us on our average wage, so he'll have to be one of our top earners. He spent all of last season injured and is 35 so I don't see that getting any better, meaning in effect we'd pay him even more per game.

Stevie Reid
18-08-2018, 01:02 PM
His last five clubs were Chelsea, Villa, Fulham, Stoke and Brighton. He won't even consider us on our average wage, so he'll have to be one of our top earners. He spent all of last season injured and is 35 so I don't see that getting any better, meaning in effect we'd pay him even more per game.

How do you know? He won't currently be earning a football wage, so anything is more than that.

He must be a very wealthy man. If he's willing to try and play again at 35 and after all those injuries, I'm guessing money won't be his main driver.

Sean1875
18-08-2018, 01:04 PM
in all honesty though was grant holt really that good? ill probably be in the minority but didnt think he was that good
I didnt really rate him at all tbh, was baffled when folk wanted him back for our first season back in the top league - but I guess ill join you in that minority club!

Diclonius
18-08-2018, 01:07 PM
How do you know? He won't currently be earning a football wage, so anything is more than that.

He must be a very wealthy man. If he's willing to try and play again at 35 and after all those injuries, I'm guessing money won't be his main driver.

Fair enough, though if he's asking for a considerable wage I'd hope we wouldn't take the risk.

Stevie Reid
18-08-2018, 01:08 PM
I didnt really rate him at all tbh, was baffled when folk wanted him back for our first season back in the top league - but I guess ill join you in that minority club!

I think some people, like myself, thought that he could do a decent job sparingly, mostly off the bench. He bullied the Aberdeen back four and turned that semi final in our favour at the end of our last Championship.

Stevie Reid
18-08-2018, 01:11 PM
Fair enough, though if he's asking for a considerable wage I'd hope we wouldn't take the risk.

Same here man. Living in Edinburgh ain't cheap, so he'd still command a decent wage I'm sure.

It's all hypothetical at the moment anyway. Lennon will only do what he thinks is best for us.

Sean1875
18-08-2018, 01:17 PM
I think some people, like myself, thought that he could do a decent job sparingly, mostly off the bench. He bullied the Aberdeen back four and turned that semi final in our favour at the end of our last Championship.
Aye granted he had a good day that day tbf, but for a striker to score 5 goals in 30 appearances mostly coming in the second tier of Scottish football it just wasn't enough for me. He seemed to spend half of the game either on the deck or blowing out his arse too. The fact hes gone on to play non-league football after us and only scored once justifies my decision for me that he just wasn't good enough really. Apologies for the mild thread hijack!

Dashing Bob S
18-08-2018, 01:19 PM
If Sidwell can be deployed going out Starbucks or repairing the lock on th toilet in the away dressing room it’ll be a sound investment.

Jim44
18-08-2018, 01:22 PM
Maybe he's just up here for the festival

As a Fringe player? :greengrin

J-C
18-08-2018, 01:25 PM
As a Fringe player? :greengrin

:not worth:faf:

Cod Boy
18-08-2018, 01:46 PM
Sidwell is currently live on a soccer a.m. Facebook page I presume in London.

Allant1981
18-08-2018, 01:50 PM
Sidwell is currently live on a soccer a.m. Facebook page I presume in London.

just seen that, so he isnt on his way to edinburgh at all, unless he is taking a coffee break for the next few hours

CapitalGreen
18-08-2018, 01:55 PM
To be fair, I doubt he’d be coming up here to earn anything less than towards the top end of our wage structure. So it is megabucks when you’re talking about Hibs.

To be fair, you have no idea how much he’d be earning.

leither17
18-08-2018, 01:55 PM

I’ll say a grand from
Sky

calumhibee1
18-08-2018, 01:58 PM

You’re right, I don’t know. But a bit common sense would suggest a guy with his experience is not going to earn the same as Scott Martin or Fraser Murray and would likely more be along the lines of Steven Whittaker. Which could be called megabucks by our standards.

angus hibby
18-08-2018, 03:12 PM
Heard Sidwell on talksport a few weeks ago and he more or less admitted he may have to hang up his boots. He was looking at staying in the game as a coach though and had been doing his badges.

CapitalGreen
18-08-2018, 03:16 PM
You’re right, I don’t know. But a bit common sense would suggest a guy with his experience is not going to earn the same as Scott Martin or Fraser Murray and would likely more be along the lines of Steven Whittaker. Which could be called megabucks by our standards.

How much is Steven Whittaker earning?

adhibs
18-08-2018, 03:20 PM
Guessing this rumour came from someone assuming it was a different CM we were signing today.

CMurdoch
18-08-2018, 04:12 PM
The Milligan signing will knock this rumour on the head.
I am relieved. Sidwell is close to 36, not fit and was very broken last season.
He is well finished.

calumhibee1
18-08-2018, 04:33 PM
How much is Steven Whittaker earning?

I’ve no idea but by all accounts he’s one of our top earners.

CapitalGreen
18-08-2018, 04:34 PM

I’ve heard otherwise but I’ll bow to your superior inside knowledge.

bigwheel
18-08-2018, 04:36 PM

Would highly doubt that - he gave up salary in return for a 3 year deal

Borderhibbie76
18-08-2018, 04:40 PM
I’ve no idea but by all accounts he’s one of our top earners.I heard otherwise tbh..came back coz he wanted too nothing to do with money and I very much doubt he's a top earner here

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
18-08-2018, 05:00 PM
I’ve heard otherwise but I’ll bow to your superior inside knowledge.

Like I said I’ve no idea so no superior inside knowledge here. It was posted many times on here that he was one of our top earners. If he’s not then fair enough. Point still stands though, I’d doubt Sidwell would be coming to a club he has no link to at a lower level than he’s played at previously to be a mid range earner.

ancient hibee
18-08-2018, 05:48 PM
You always know source is suspect when it’s “discussing terms with Lennon”.

broondog
19-08-2018, 11:47 AM
pretty sure it wouldn't be megabucks if he is out of favour down south. give him a 1 year deal I'd say with the option for us to extend it.

hibs#1
23-08-2018, 06:09 AM
He's announced his retirement.

SouthMoroccoStu
23-08-2018, 06:32 AM
He's announced his retirement.

Could still do a job for us....

BILLYHIBS
23-08-2018, 07:41 AM
Am I the only one who had to google Steve Sidwell to find out who he is/was?

Wikidpedia have him down as an ex professional footballer so safe to say he has retired!

Then again I am a grumpy old geezer who had never heard of half the 2018 England World Cup Squad :greengrin

NadeAteMyLunch!
23-08-2018, 01:42 PM
Funnily enough he was on Sky Sports on Mon night on the football debate show that follows MNF. Obviously keen to get into TV work now that he’s hanging up the boots

Hermit Crab
23-08-2018, 01:57 PM
On his way to Edinburgh to discuss terms with Neil Lennon. Just passing this on from someone I know who works at the club. Not sure how we can afford him as I am sure I recall him playing in the premiership recently. Even if he is getting on a bit would be a great acquisition and would bring good experience to a weakened midfield.

On his way to us? Better speak to your "contact" at the club mate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45275711

Famous Fiver
23-08-2018, 03:23 PM
Poor old Broondog.

Done up like a kipper or a stirrer on the 33 bus headed out to Gorgie.

Either way, nae luck, pal.

Hibbyradge
23-08-2018, 03:44 PM
Could still do a job for us....

Not old enough.