PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Seriously Think Hibs Aren't Going All Out For Signing Targets?

One Day Soon
17-08-2018, 08:50 AM
I can understand some people's anxiety about needing to complete our squad reshuffle with further signings. However some posters seem to imagine that the club might not be trying hard enough - particularly with cash.

What happens if the obstacles to Neil Lennon getting in the players he wants are not about the transfer fee but about their wages or bonuses? Or if he and LeeAnn are having to deal with one or more of the very large number of complete horses' ar5es that populate the leadership of many football clubs?

My working assumption is that Neil and Leeann have been working on both identifying and pursuing signing targets since before the end of last season. Why would we think otherwise? If it takes time it will be for good reason, not because they cannae be arsed, are too skinflint, haven't thought about it properly or don't understand how football works.

They've already demonstrated that they know how to deal well when both signing and selling. If you want to know what a club that's ****ed it up over signings and strengthening their squad looks like crawl along the motorway to Glasgow and interrogate the plastics about their close season dealings.

Frankly both of these people have already shown plenty enough commitment and respect for this club to have earned our trust in how they are going about their business. Sure, I'd like to see two, maybe three, more players signed for key positions - but until the window closes I'm not going to be getting upset about it. And even then I'll be thinking the squad we end up with is a blend of what we can afford and what adds to our quality. In other words the players we don't sign are the ones we can't afford, can't persuade or wouldn't want/need anyway.

Captain Trips
17-08-2018, 08:58 AM
NL and his team will have certainly had some players he wanted in and I am sure some have arrived already.

Indeed some clubs may now not find it convenient to sell anymore or wish to sell. I believe he has more targets and they will be brought in over the next week or so. Other clubs do not need to suit our time lime for bringing people in.

By the 3rd or 4th league game though I would expect all our signings to be in.

jeffers
17-08-2018, 09:00 AM
I think they probably have been holding back a bit. The trouble imo was SJM's transfer. I think we held back not knowing if he was leaving and needing to sign a player to replace him (although I qualify that by saying I don't think we can find another SJM) and the fact that his transfer fee meant we could sign players that otherwise we couldn't afford to bring in.

In saying all that the SJM situation is now resolved so I expect to see more signings in the next two weeks.

mjhibby
17-08-2018, 09:01 AM
I'm sure the vast majority of fans are thinking the exact same but a defeat seems to bring out the worst in people. We need to wait till the new signings are settled in and see what the rest of August brings. The money from sjm would have been anticipated but maybe not as much as we got. I also think we got more money from Europe than we imagined too. Which leads me to think we are after a slightly better quality player which takes time. Old cliche but with lenny and Leeann there then top four is the target each year which we haven't had that outlook for many years. Ggtth.

WeeRussell
17-08-2018, 09:01 AM
I can understand some people's anxiety about needing to complete our squad reshuffle with further signings. However some posters seem to imagine that the club might not be trying hard enough - particularly with cash.

What happens if the obstacles to Neil Lennon getting in the players he wants are not about the transfer fee but about their wages or bonuses? Or if he and LeeAnn are having to deal with one or more of the very large number of complete horses' ar5es that populate the leadership of many football clubs?

My working assumption is that Neil and Leeann have been working on both identifying and pursuing signing targets since before the end of last season. Why would we think otherwise? If it takes time it will be for good reason, not because they cannae be arsed, are too skinflint, haven't thought about it properly or don't understand how football works.

They've already demonstrated that they know how to deal well when both signing and selling. If you want to know what a club that's ****ed it up over signings and strengthening their squad looks like crawl along the motorway to Glasgow and interrogate the plastics about their close season dealings.

Frankly both of these people have already shown plenty enough commitment and respect for this club to have earned our trust in how they are going about their business. Sure, I'd like to see two, maybe three, more players signed for key positions - but until the window closes I'm not going to be getting upset about it. And even then I'll be thinking the squad we end up with is a blend of what we can afford and what adds to our quality. In other words the players we don't sign are the ones we can't afford, can't persuade or wouldn't want/need anyway.

You're bang on ODS. But unfortunately the people who will agree with you already know... and the people who don't will continue to moan.

Our team is in a decent place despite not being able to keep hold of some of our strongest players from last season (business that we conducted sensibly). There are some huge over reactions from last night - we went out to a better side than us. Albeit we had our chances in the second leg to nick it and they weren't quite as comfortable as I expected.. whatever happened over the 2 legs, the stronger team has progressed. We've got further in Europe than any of us expected at the beginning of the campaign, it's been fun, we've made a bit of cash... now we focus 100% on our domestic competitions.

As is the norm on here, we lose a game and go out of a competition and some posters are compiling lists of who we need to empty (some are the same that were worth keeping after a positive result last week) and lambasting the club/team for the performance/lack of quality available. I, like most, hope there are a couple of more faces to come in to strengthen the squad more than anything else and think we have done very well in landing the signings we have brought in so far. In the meantime we dust ourselves down and get up for the challenge of our league and cups.

Smartie
17-08-2018, 09:04 AM
I think they probably have been holding back a bit. The trouble imo was SJM's transfer. I think we held back not knowing if he was leaving and needing to sign a player to replace him (although I qualify that by saying I don't think we can find another SJM) and the fact that his transfer fee meant we could sign players that otherwise we couldn't afford to bring in.

In saying all that the SJM situation is now resolved so I expect to see more signings in the next two weeks.

I agree.

This might sound a bit wacky, but if Celtic had stumped up the cash for SJM early enough instead of playing silly beggars then I suspect Celtic might still be in the Champions League and Hibs in the Europa League.

makaveli1875
17-08-2018, 09:06 AM
I agree.

This might sound a bit wacky, but if Celtic had stumped up the cash for SJM early enough instead of playing silly beggars then I suspect Celtic might still be in the Champions League and Hibs in the Europa League.

It could be argued if Celtic bought SJM early we wouldnt have beat Asteras .

Smartie
17-08-2018, 09:07 AM
It could be argued if Celtic bought SJM early we wouldnt have beat Asteras .

A very fair point.

Pretty Boy
17-08-2018, 09:08 AM
I think there probably was an element of 'holding back' until the McGinn deal happened.

We had paid fees for Mallan and Kamberi. The Horgan deal seemed to be on the table then go quiet and then very quickly after McGinn left he was signed for a fee. That's different from not going all out of course but I think had the deal been done earlier we might have had our business complete by now. As it is I think it's been wise to wait as player X might now be affordable whilst before we may have had to settle for player A.

I think there's actually been a refreshing dose of realism since last night on here. I'm not seeing the 'bedwetting' and 'hysteria' that others seem to be. I think there's an acceptance we are a couple short, especially in the middle of the park, and we probably won't be in a couple of weeks. That was a discussion that has been ongoing since before last nights game.

The_Horde
17-08-2018, 09:12 AM
I agree.

If the English window was still open we'd probably still have SJM and be through in Europe but struggling to replace him at short notice.

BILLYHIBS
17-08-2018, 09:13 AM
I would like to think if they weren’t they MUST be now.:thumbsup:

Borderhibbie76
17-08-2018, 09:40 AM
I think there probably was an element of 'holding back' until the McGinn deal happened.

We had paid fees for Mallan and Kamberi. The Horgan deal seemed to be on the table then go quiet and then very quickly after McGinn left he was signed for a fee. That's different from not going all out of course but I think had the deal been done earlier we might have had our business complete by now. As it is I think it's been wise to wait as player X might now be affordable whilst before we may have had to settle for player A.

I think there's actually been a refreshing dose of realism since last night on here. I'm not seeing the 'bedwetting' and 'hysteria' that others seem to be. I think there's an acceptance we are a couple short, especially in the middle of the park, and we probably won't be in a couple of weeks. That was a discussion that has been ongoing since before last nights game.I agree think the majority are being level headed after last night there's just an acknowledgement that we need to spend and our manager said the same post match last night. I always thought losing SJM when we did meant we had kissed goodbye to any chance we had to beat Molde tbh...as we had no time to bring in any kind of replacement. I think that proved to be the case over the 2 legs

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Springbank
17-08-2018, 09:46 AM
Right now we look to me like Argentina in this year's world cup finals.

Argentina were a bit like a basketball team in the summer, with an embarrassment of riches up front, a number of defenders at the back, but so slack in midfield that the defence was regularly overrun at the wrong end, and they didn't get their forwards in the game quickly enough at the other end.

It showed the importance of a balanced midfield - even the best no.10 in world football couldn't shine in an imbalanced team.

So I think we need the Kamara/Mulumbu type signing as a huge priority