PDA

View Full Version : Short corners

we are hibs
17-08-2018, 05:11 AM
Thoughts?

houstonhibbee
17-08-2018, 05:16 AM
Thoughts?
Ok if it’s from the training ground but not when you don’t have an execution plan

we are hibs
17-08-2018, 05:20 AM
Ok if it’s from the training ground but not when you don’t have an execution plan

I could understand to an extent last season as mcginn wasn't a great set piece taker but isn't mallan meant to be very good from them? We also have Porteous Hanlon kamberi McGregor and Gray when playing who all gave height and can attack the ball so I don't understand why we took and keep taking so many short corners

ajf
17-08-2018, 05:22 AM
[QUOTE=we are hibs;5518966]Thoughts?[/QUOTE
We should look to take two opposing players out the box at every corner but if only one comes out then we should play it short , two against one every time otherwise cross it in, imo

hibIBZ
17-08-2018, 05:26 AM
We were playing short corners last night due to the size of Molde compared to us. Just chucking the ball in and letting their 6ft plus players head it away wasn’t really worth it so trying something else was a good idea imo, but like everything else last night, it didn’t work

Winston Ingram
17-08-2018, 05:42 AM
We were playing short corners last night due to the size of Molde compared to us. Just chucking the ball in and letting their 6ft plus players head it away wasn’t really worth it so trying something else was a good idea imo, but like everything else last night, it didn’t work

This. Molde are probably the biggest side I have ever seen.

Pretty Boy
17-08-2018, 07:47 AM
I like short corners when they are on.

A man over, 2 on 2 then great. When the opposition have read it and have it covered it's probably best not to try it.

Smartie
17-08-2018, 07:52 AM
I like short corners when they are on.

A man over, 2 on 2 then great. When the opposition have read it and have it covered it's probably best not to try it.

I couldn't believe some of the crap we tried when they'd clearly read the situation.

Again, I think they were better prepared for us than most Scottish teams are, and we didn't have the element of surprise.

It was disappointing to see the joy they got from a simple lump into the box when we got so little from our set pieces (although I thought Ryan Porteous competed well for a few).

BILLYHIBS
17-08-2018, 08:01 AM
We tried one short corner second half that had obviously been rehearsed that was a total F*** up when we were crying out for a ball swung in as we really needed a goal.As another poster said we had Hanlon and Porteous who I agree was competitive waiting in the box for a delivery that did not come.

scuttle
17-08-2018, 08:08 AM
Thoughts?

Not for me, get the ball in the box at every opportunity

Carheenlea
17-08-2018, 08:49 AM
We used the short corner well last season, and despite the audible groans from the stands when we set up to take them, they often crafted out better chances than the standard whipped in ball from corner flag. When they go wrong they do look pretty embarrassing and a waste, but we obviously work on the set piece at East Mains so it’s not as if the players are trying something different off their own backs,

The_Horde
17-08-2018, 08:52 AM
Short corner last night almost directly resulted in a goal for them. I like them though, They do have their place, but last night wasn't that place.

B.H.F.C
17-08-2018, 08:54 AM
Short corners are fine if they are on.

Paul Hanlon taking a short corner isn’t fine though. I have no idea what he was thinking. We weren’t set up properly, they broke and scored. We were on top and still in it at that point.

Smartie
17-08-2018, 09:00 AM
Of all people, I'd imagine Solsjkaer will understand the importance of set pieces.

We weren't going to catch Molde out from them easily.

Onceinawhile
17-08-2018, 09:19 AM
Short corners are fine if they are on.

Paul Hanlon taking a short corner isn’t fine though. I have no idea what he was thinking. We weren’t set up properly, they broke and scored. We were on top and still in it at that point.

Yup. Didn't completely cost us the tie, but took us out of it.

Short corners are fine, and we scored from quite a few last season, but Paul Hanlon shouldn't be near taking a corner at any point in any game.

JackHibs
17-08-2018, 09:46 AM
I liked what we done in a couple of games last season, brought 2 players over to the corner so there is 3 out there. Sometimes worked and sometimes never but seemed to get a couple of chances from it and it confused the other teams!! Although I think we confused ourselves at times..

Ray_
17-08-2018, 09:52 AM
This. Molde are probably the biggest side I have ever seen.

Totally agree with you on this one, therefore horses for courses.

17-08-2018, 11:25 AM
Not for me, get the ball in the box at every opportunity

And Mallan to take them all (unless we get Scotty back). Lewis or Boyle to go as if it'll be a short corner to draw out 2 defenders then Mallan whips into the box.

wookie70
17-08-2018, 11:55 AM
Short corners are fine if they are on but they have to be used correctly. I'm as worried about our defensive play from set pieces. We are very slow to react to quickly taken free kicks and corners and our set up for corners looks like we are deliberately allowing a man a free run. We have quite a few good headers of the ball and now have good delivery but we don't look to be very well drilled either in defense or in attack.

Hermit Crab
17-08-2018, 11:58 AM
Thoughts?

Load of *****, whip them into the box, did they not score from one of our corners?

Lago
17-08-2018, 12:03 PM
You have to keep the opposition guessing, short corners, back post, near post and edge of the box, but everyone needs to know whats happening.

erin go bragh
17-08-2018, 02:08 PM
I could understand to an extent last season as mcginn :cb asn't a great set piece taker but isn't mallan meant to be very good from them? We also have Porteous Hanlon kamberi McGregor and Gray when playing who all gave height and can attack the ball so I don't understand why we took and keep taking so many short corners

Did you see the highlights of last sat Villa game . McGinns deliveries were outstanding. Corners, free kick, which led to their opening goal .
Couldnt understand how McGinn didn’t take our corners as he could fairly whip them in .
But back to the question 😜 Bloody hate they short corners as 99/100 they don’t work .

Hermit Crab
17-08-2018, 09:53 PM
Did you see the highlights of last sat Villa game . McGinns deliveries were outstanding. Corners, free kick, which led to their opening goal .
Couldnt understand how McGinn didn’t take our corners as he could fairly whip them in .
But back to the question 😜 Bloody hate they short corners as 99/100 they don’t work .

Mallan has a great delivery, he should be on corner duties whipping them in, not playing them short.

gaz1875
17-08-2018, 10:12 PM
Corners don't have to be hit high, drive them in waist height around the 6 yard box if we aren't winning the headers. Mix things up. Our quick free kicks are hopeless too the majority of times.

Hermit Crab
17-08-2018, 10:17 PM
Corners don't have to be hit high, drive them in waist height around the 6 yard box if we aren't winning the headers. Mix things up. Our quick free kicks are hopeless too the majority of times.

Problem with that is we won't clear the first defender.

gaz1875
17-08-2018, 10:19 PM
Problem with that is we won't clear the first defender.

True, like most of our crosses :rolleyes:

Hermit Crab
17-08-2018, 10:20 PM
True, like most of our crosses :rolleyes:

:agree:. We really need to work on that.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
17-08-2018, 10:36 PM
Short corners, thoughts?

Short corners. Pesh.