PDA

View Full Version : County game now assumes greater importance: What should our line-up be?

G B Young
16-08-2018, 10:53 PM
Not saying the County game wasn't always important, but while the possibility of reaching the lucrative group stages of the Europa League remained a possibility I felt that the League Cup was one competition which might have to take a back seat. Had we still been in Europe after tonight I'd have suggested we needed to rest players on Sunday after such a demanding start to the season, but there's now a greater focus on this competition in that while there's no European place for winning it we could still cash in on another potential Hampden appearance. How should we play it? There will be a lot of tired legs after tonight so do we freshen things up or do we assume that most of those who played tonight will be eager to get the disappointment out of their system?

The_Horde
16-08-2018, 10:57 PM
Gray Ambrose Hanlon Stevenson

Mallan Whittaker
Hyndman

Boyle Shaw Horgan

Centre Hawf
16-08-2018, 11:18 PM

Mallan Whittaker
Hyndman

Boyle Shaw Horgan

I'd go with this but I'd probably put Martin in where Whittaker is, let's see what this laddies got now that Bartley could be out for 2 month.

The_Horde
16-08-2018, 11:19 PM
I'd go with this but I'd probably put Martin in where Whittaker is, let's see what this laddies got now that Bartley could be out for 2 month.

Hopefully we've got a new signing in there! (Can't see it but I can hope)

Wheat Hound
16-08-2018, 11:19 PM
Bogdan

Gray
Porteous
Hanlon
Stevenson

Martin
Ambrose

Horgan
Mallan
Boyle

Shaw

jacomo
16-08-2018, 11:20 PM

Mallan Whittaker
Hyndman

Boyle Shaw Horgan

I like this.

adhibs
17-08-2018, 05:18 AM
I'd give Boyle a rest. Has he not played every minute this season? Other than that it's be strongest team.

we are hibs
17-08-2018, 05:23 AM
Boyle needs dropped after last night. Give Horgan a go instead and maybe change the formation. I wouldn't be surprised if we go on and win comfortably as we tend to get a good performance after a bad under Lennon. The players can make up for last night by getting us to Hampden for the 5th season in a row

J-C
17-08-2018, 06:22 AM

Bogdan

Gray
Porteous
Hanlon
Stevenson

Martin
Ambrose

Horgan
Mallan
Boyle

Shaw

Can't see Martin getting a start, he seems to be a bench filler right now, unfortunately Lennon seems to see Whittaker as a replacement in the middle which is a worry, we need bodies in asap as the squad is looking very thin on quality.

Allant1981
17-08-2018, 06:26 AM
Bogdan
Porteous
Mcgregor(if fit)
Hanlon
Gray
Stevenson
Mallan
Slivka
Horgan
Shaw
Maclaren

If Kamberi was fully fit id get him and mcalrean playing together as often as possible but he is clearly not fit

GloryGlory
17-08-2018, 07:07 AM
Bogdan
Porteous
Mcgregor(if fit)
Hanlon
Gray
Stevenson
Mallan
Slivka
Horgan
Shaw
Maclaren

If Kamberi was fully fit id get him and mcalrean playing together as often as possible but he is clearly not fit

Last night could be a blessing in disguise if it gives Flo a wee rest for the next 8 days and helps him get over the niggly injury that he seems to be carrying.

calumhibee1
17-08-2018, 07:08 AM
Bogdan

Gray
Ambrose
Hanlon
Stevenson

Boyle
Mallan
Slivka
Hyndman
Horgan

Shaw

CockneyRebel
17-08-2018, 07:27 AM
Bogdan

Gray
Ambrose
Hanlon
Stevenson

Boyle
Mallan
Slivka
Hyndman
Horgan

Shaw

Quite like the look of that one.

Diclonius
17-08-2018, 07:39 AM
Bogdan

Boyle Mallan Martin Horgan

Maclaren Shaw

Pretty Boy
17-08-2018, 07:44 AM
Dropping Boyle seems madness to me. One bad game last night is an exception rather than the rule, he's been great so far this season and last.

Bogdan

Ambrose
Porteous
Hanlon

Boyle
Whittaker
Mallan
Hyndman
Stevenson

Shaw
MacLaren

calumhibee1
17-08-2018, 07:46 AM
Bogdan

Boyle Mallan Martin Horgan

Maclaren Shaw

I quite like the look of that team other than I don't think Martin is nearly good enough. But I can see why you've put him in there. A player of his ilk, just a much higher calibre and I'd quite like to see us give something like that a go.

Brooster
17-08-2018, 07:48 AM
Let's get Scott Martin in. I really think he is ready to kick on. Porteous, Murray, Martin, Mackie and Shaw need to play regularly to kick on. These guys have great potential and could save us a fortune. Rest Kamberi who is carrying a knock.

Borderhibbie76
17-08-2018, 07:52 AM
Dropping Boyle seems madness to me. One bad game last night is an exception rather than the rule, he's been great so far this season and last.

Bogdan

Ambrose
Porteous
Hanlon

Boyle
Whittaker
Mallan
Hyndman
Stevenson

Shaw
MacLarenIt's funny how people want Boyle dropped after 1 bad game when him and Shaw have probably been our best players so far this season...yet Ambrose gets a free ride for yet another woeful performance last night at the back...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

J-C
17-08-2018, 07:56 AM
Quite a conundrum right now but this is what I'd go with.

Bogdan

Gray
Porteous
Hanlon
Stevenson

Martin

Mallan
Slivka

Boyle
Shaw
Horgan

spudhib
17-08-2018, 08:16 AM
Bogdan
Gray. Porteous. Hanlon. Stevenson
Whittaker
Horgan. Swanson
Hyndman
Shaw. Boyle

danhibees1875
17-08-2018, 08:18 AM
I think we might revert to 4 at the back for this one.

Bogdan
Boyle Mallan Slivka Horgan
Maclaren Shaw

I agree with the thread title that the LC now has greater importance. Had we progressed last night, I would have hoped to get through but with a second string squad to give players rest; now I think it's important that we don't get dumped out of 2 tournaments in a week and progress to a QF.

cleanyman
17-08-2018, 08:19 AM
Drop Boyle.

Shouldn't be playing after last night.

calumhibee1
17-08-2018, 08:21 AM
I think we might revert to 4 at the back for this one.

Bogdan
Boyle Mallan Slivka Horgan
Maclaren Shaw

I agree with the thread title that the LC now has greater importance. Had we progressed last night, I would have hoped to get through but with a second string squad to give players rest; now I think it's important that we don't get dumped out of 2 tournaments in a week and progress to a QF.

It’s definitely an important game now. Without being cocky, sunday should be a comfortable win. You’re then 2 wins away from a cup final. With how bad Celtic have looked aswell this is every teams best opportunity to win something since we won the Scottish.

DarlingtonHibee
17-08-2018, 08:24 AM
Drop Boyle.

Didn't see the game, but Boyle has been outstanding.

cleanyman
17-08-2018, 08:29 AM

Requires a rest imo

Freshens things up

Hibs90
17-08-2018, 08:45 AM
Bogdan

Gray
Porteous
Hanlon
Stevenson

Slivka
Mallan

Boyle Kamberi Maclaren Horgan

Smartie
17-08-2018, 08:45 AM
Bogdan

Gray
Porteous
Hanlon
Mackie

Hyndman
Stevenson
Mallan

Boyle
Kamberi
Horgan

Lewis Stevenson can tackle, pass and get up and down the park. We have a bit of pace out wide for Hyndman and Mallan to hit, wide players who have fullbacks behind them so they don't have to worry too much about covering defensively.

We're playing a team from a lower division so we get the chance to see what one youngster can do.

A few players get a rest.

I was torn between Kamberi (who might need more time to work off his injury) and Shaw, who has earned the right to be in the team more than just about anyone.

PeeJay
17-08-2018, 08:48 AM

Mallan Whittaker
Hyndman

Boyle Shaw Horgan

You don't think we need a goalie ? .... :greengrin

Captain Trips
17-08-2018, 08:49 AM
It is time to play Slivka on a run and see if he can be the player hoped. I would play him in middle for next 4 or 5 games and see if kicks on.

green with envy
17-08-2018, 09:04 AM
Give Stevenson a rest (can't remember his last one) and give Mackie a game.

Onceinawhile
17-08-2018, 09:15 AM
Bogdan

Efe
Hanlon
Porteous

Mackie
Gray

Mallan
Hyndman
Horgan

Shaw
J mac

Kamberi out to rest
Boyle and Stevenson rotated
Slivka benched.

Out of interest, do we have any centre backs in the reserves?

SirDavidsNapper
17-08-2018, 09:19 AM
Very dangerous game. We need a high intensity game and convincing win to get us back on track. At this early stage momentum is vital as our pink neighbours are proving.

makaveli1875
17-08-2018, 09:22 AM
Laidlaw

Whittaker
Porteous
Hanlon

Gray
Hyndman
Martin
Mallan
Horgan

Shaw
McLaren

Heckys Wheel
17-08-2018, 09:29 AM
100% Boyle needs a rest. He looks mentally tired more than physically.

Bad decision making last night and on Sunday and looks like he needs a rest to re-charge.

Kyle A
17-08-2018, 10:01 AM
_____________Bogdan______________
______Gray___Porteus___Hanlon____
Boyle________________________Horgan
________Ambrose___Bartley________
_____________Mallan______________
_______Mclaren____Kamberi________

Onceinawhile
17-08-2018, 10:03 AM
_____________Bogdan______________
______Gray___Porteus___Hanlon____
Boyle________________________Horgan
________Ambrose___Bartley________
_____________Mallan______________
_______Mclaren____Kamberi________

Bartley's injured.

JimboHibs
17-08-2018, 10:10 AM
Strongest possible 11 will do me.One of the 2 competitions we realistically have a chance of winning.

B.H.F.C
17-08-2018, 10:10 AM
I think we’ll go to a back four.

Gray has been playing well and should play and that also lets us get Boyle in the team out wide. Horgan to play on the other wing.

JackHibs
17-08-2018, 10:15 AM
Whittaker shouldn't be anywhere near the team

Smartie
17-08-2018, 10:23 AM
Whittaker shouldn't be anywhere near the team

He played well last week, and a game at home to lower league opposition is exactly the kind of game when his strengths are likely to be needed and his weaknesses less likely to be exposed.

MrRobot
17-08-2018, 10:32 AM

Cant agree with this. I think since the start of pre-season Boyle has had 2 good games and the rest very average.

JackHibs
17-08-2018, 10:41 AM
He played well last week, and a game at home to lower league opposition is exactly the kind of game when his strengths are likely to be needed and his weaknesses less likely to be exposed.

I can't agree that he played well last week, but when you don't particularly like a player its easier to pick out the bad things than the good things they do.. so I'm probably biased.

But I do agree with you he could do good against lower level players, he was good in midfield in the cup group stage last year

Smartie
17-08-2018, 10:43 AM
I can't agree that he played well last week, but when you don't particularly like a player its easier to pick out the bad things than the good things they do.. so I'm probably biased.

But I do agree with you he could do good against lower level players, he was good in midfield in the cup group stage last year

I missed a decent chunk of the start of the game, when he was supposedly a bit ropey.

For as long as I was in the ground he did well.

JimBHibees
17-08-2018, 10:50 AM
I missed a decent chunk of the start of the game, when he was supposedly a bit ropey.

For as long as I was in the ground he did well.

Agree thought he did well last week and looked from Sundays highlights that he was brilliant v Saints. Also very good against Motherwell.

wookie70
17-08-2018, 10:54 AM

I thought Whittaker was very poor in the first half last week but did ok in the second. That maybe shows he needs games. I think we need to have a look at a system that allows Gray and Boyle to play and that may also allow Horgan to get a game on the left. Lennon likes to play two up front so that gives us a wee bit of a headache as we have so many attack minded midfielder and quite a few that could be described as a no 10 type. Hopefully a couple or three good signings will bring some much needed strength and balance to the team and also some leadership in the centre of the park.

Moulin Yarns
17-08-2018, 10:57 AM

Mallan Whittaker
Hyndman

Boyle Shaw Horgan

Just because we are losing goals I think we need to have a keeper in there :wink:

Shrekko
17-08-2018, 11:06 AM
Drop Boyle.

You don’t drop your most consistent hard working performer for one bad game do you?

Mr_F
17-08-2018, 11:15 AM
Bogdan

Ambrose Porto Hanlon

Gray Mallan Swanson Hyndman Horgan

MacLaren Shaw

Hibee Ryan
17-08-2018, 11:35 AM
Bogdan

Whittaker
Hanlon
Ambrose
Stevenson

Agyepong (if he gets a permit in time)
Slivka
Martin
Mallan
Horgan

Shaw

Give Boyle and Kamberi a rest, let Whittaker play in his natural position and give Shaw and Martin a chance. Could maybe start MacLaren but think Shaw is a better option as lone striker

GreenNWhiteArmy
17-08-2018, 11:39 AM
Bogdan

Gray
Mcgregor - Porto if unfit
Hanlon
Lewy

Boyle
Mallan
Sliv
Horgan

Flo - Shaw if unfit
J-Mac

MrRobot
17-08-2018, 11:43 AM
Bogdan

Ambrose Porto Hanlon

Gray Mallan Swanson Hyndman Horgan

MacLaren Shaw

Id be tempted to go with this but Stevenson in place of Swanson.

Lets be honest, Swanson is done at Hibs, the sooner we move him on and free up a wage the better for both the club and the player.

Stevenson IMO shouldnt be dropped as he is solid and constantly gives his all. If we are going with Horgan on the left, I'd like to see Stevenson play the energetic defensive midfield role as you know you will get 100% commitment with him up and down the pitch.

His passing has come on leaps and bounds since Lennon took over and I think him sitting a bit deeper and letting Mallan and Hyndman advance up the pitch would work.

Highly doubt it will happen but I think Stevenson could play that role until we get a DM in.

B.H.F.C
17-08-2018, 11:46 AM
I’d play Shaw. I think he still has a lot of work to do but Kamberi and MacLaren both look well off it. Shaw deserves his place and if he scores again he should keep it this time.

wookie70
17-08-2018, 11:51 AM
I’d play Shaw. I think he still has a lot of work to do but Kamberi and MacLaren both look well off it. Shaw deserves his place and if he scores again he should keep it this time.

Agree with this Shaw is our form striker since Flo got his knee injury. He should start. McLaren looks like he has had some therapy to make him forget how to play football. It's amazing how quickly players lose their form after a few weeks out. He is still making the runs and finding positions so I'm sure he will get all or most of last season's form back but he is a shadow of last season's player..

we are hibs
17-08-2018, 12:22 PM
Shaw and maclaren upfront. Shaw deserves his chanc kamberi is toiling with injury and maclaren needs to get his sharpness back.

500miles
17-08-2018, 12:34 PM
I think now that Europe is done, and we're back into a more regular training pattern, we'll benefit from working on shape and systems tweaks to suit Hyndman, Mallan and Horgan. Ross County might be a bit early, but I wouldnt be surprised if we ended up with a lightning fast counter attacking 451 for most of the season.

Mr_F
17-08-2018, 12:45 PM
Id be tempted to go with this but Stevenson in place of Swanson.

Lets be honest, Swanson is done at Hibs, the sooner we move him on and free up a wage the better for both the club and the player.

Stevenson IMO shouldnt be dropped as he is solid and constantly gives his all. If we are going with Horgan on the left, I'd like to see Stevenson play the energetic defensive midfield role as you know you will get 100% commitment with him up and down the pitch.

His passing has come on leaps and bounds since Lennon took over and I think him sitting a bit deeper and letting Mallan and Hyndman advance up the pitch would work.

Highly doubt it will happen but I think Stevenson could play that role until we get a DM in.

Agree with that, Swanson played well against Celtc at ER in the split in the middle of the park and IF he isn't on his way out we need to play him.

LS only missing out to give him a rest as he's vital to our team.

Smartie
17-08-2018, 12:47 PM
Agree with that, Swanson played well against Celtc at ER in the split in the middle of the park and IF he isn't on his way out we need to play him.

LS only missing out to give him a rest as he's vital to our team.

He's superfit, it's early in the season and we have a week until our next game.

Of all our players, I think he least needs a rest.

lord bunberry
17-08-2018, 01:14 PM
Let's get Scott Martin in. I really think he is ready to kick on. Porteous, Murray, Martin, Mackie and Shaw need to play regularly to kick on. These guys have great potential and could save us a fortune. Rest Kamberi who is carrying a knock.
I’d get Martin in the team as well. It’s now or never for the boy, he’s looked decent enough when ever I’ve seen him play.

lord bunberry
17-08-2018, 01:15 PM
You don’t drop your most consistent hard working performer for one bad game do you?
:agree: Boyle is the least of our problems.

Billy Whizz
17-08-2018, 01:23 PM
What’s the dot count for this. I know we’ve had a lot of games so far, with extra home games in Europe, but would be nice to get around 10,000 or so
Big big game for Hibs, as this is a tournament we can win

HibeeMackenzie
17-08-2018, 01:28 PM
Slightly change the formation up and give Stevenson a rest
Bogdan
Ambrose Porteous Hanlon
Gray Mallan Slivka Mackie
Boyle Maclaren Horgan

neil7908
17-08-2018, 01:32 PM
Best team available. Not sure about fitness of guys like Kamberi but we have 2 competitions we can win this season and this is the one of them. Ross County are no mugs so we need to put our best team out.

Dancehibs
17-08-2018, 01:42 PM
Must win game. Any player in the first team squad should be more than good enough to play.

NAE NOOKIE
17-08-2018, 02:37 PM
I haven't read the whole thread, but seeing somebody suggesting Boyle should be 'dropped' made me laugh ….. rested by all means, the guy has bust a gut in every game this season and deserves a rest, but dropped? .. do me a favour.

For me Boyle, Kamberi and Stevenson should be on the bench for this one and only brought on if absolutely necessary. Lets give some of the kids like Martin and MacKie a game and see how they do. I'm not for a second suggesting we should treat this game lightly, like every season there is only two trophies we have a realistic chance of winning and this is one of them, but I think we do need to rest some players and specifically the ones I have mentioned.

Bogdan

Ambrose, Porteous, Hanlon

Gray, Slivka, Martin, Mallan, MacKie

Shaw, MacLaren

Slivka is only in there because I want to see him play on Sunday and give at the barest minimum an 80 minute performance, this guy's Hibs career is hanging by a thread IMO and its time he stepped up. If Daz turns out to be fit I would have him in place of Porteous, who has done really well, but Daz needs game time.

I want to see Horgan play, but somebody has to step aside to give Scott Martin a game and as I said I want to see Slivka play, otherwise Horgan would be starting and if not him Hyndman.

Sadly once again I completely forgot about Danny Swanson until I was about to push the 'submit reply' button …. that's probably exactly how Neil Lennon thinks about him as well unfortunately.

PS
Screw the dot count for this one, its been an expensive old time following Hibs for the last few weeks and something had to give, which looks like being this game. We get back on track against Aberdeen.

Inconsequential
17-08-2018, 02:44 PM
Bogdan, Gray, Tortolano, Hanlon, Porteous, Ambrose, Mallan, Boyle, McLaren, Shaw, Horgan.

danhibees1875
17-08-2018, 02:56 PM
What’s the dot count for this. I know we’ve had a lot of games so far, with extra home games in Europe, but would be nice to get around 10,000 or so
Big big game for Hibs, as this is a tournament we can win

I didn't count, but it didn't look good yesterday.

There was 8k at Ayr last year, I don't think we're looking at getting more than that.

Billy Whizz
17-08-2018, 02:59 PM
I didn't count, but it didn't look good yesterday.

There was 8k at Ayr last year, I don't think we're looking at getting more than that.

Just had a look, the attendance was 8,135, but it was also on a Tuesday night

danhibees1875
17-08-2018, 03:03 PM
Just had a look, the attendance was 8,135, but it was also on a Tuesday night

Good point, I missed the day.

The sales still look like they'll struggle to break that, unless there's a big uptake today/tomorrow.

MyJo
17-08-2018, 04:34 PM
______________Bogdan

Gray____Ambrose____Hanlon____Stevenson

Boyle____Slivka_____Mallan_____Horgan

_________Shaw___MacLaren

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2018, 04:47 PM
I didn't realise Boyle was struggling mentally and physically, i just thought he had a bad game?

He was certainly due one.

B.H.F.C
17-08-2018, 04:54 PM
I didn't realise Boyle was struggling mentally and physically, i just thought he had a bad game?

He was certainly due one.

This. If he has a knock then it would be fair enough.

But if he’s mentally tired after 8 games then it’s going to be a long season!

Speedway
17-08-2018, 04:58 PM
Bogdan, Gray, Tortolano, Hanlon, Porteous, Ambrose, Mallan, Boyle, McLaren, Shaw, Horgan.

That's the side, especially the left back.

Smartie
17-08-2018, 05:09 PM
That's the side, especially the left back.

Are you Alex Miller?

I didn't see any left-backs but 2 left wingers in his team.

rcarter1
17-08-2018, 06:05 PM
Bogdan

Whittaker
Hanlon
Ambrose
Stevenson

Agyepong (if he gets a permit in time)
Slivka
Martin
Mallan
Horgan

Shaw

Give Boyle and Kamberi a rest, let Whittaker play in his natural position and give Shaw and Martin a chance. Could maybe start MacLaren but think Shaw is a better option as lone striker

Is there any news on this, or is it just a case of waiting for the Home Office...

Phil MaGlass
18-08-2018, 10:24 AM
Wheres the dot count:greengrin

Hibeewilly
18-08-2018, 10:46 AM
I haven't read the whole thread, but seeing somebody suggesting Boyle should be 'dropped' made me laugh ….. rested by all means, the guy has bust a gut in every game this season and deserves a rest, but dropped? .. do me a favour.

For me Boyle, Kamberi and Stevenson should be on the bench for this one and only brought on if absolutely necessary. Lets give some of the kids like Martin and MacKie a game and see how they do. I'm not for a second suggesting we should treat this game lightly, like every season there is only two trophies we have a realistic chance of winning and this is one of them, but I think we do need to rest some players and specifically the ones I have mentioned.

Bogdan

Ambrose, Porteous, Hanlon

Gray, Slivka, Martin, Mallan, MacKie

Shaw, MacLaren

Slivka is only in there because I want to see him play on Sunday and give at the barest minimum an 80 minute performance, this guy's Hibs career is hanging by a thread IMO and its time he stepped up. If Daz turns out to be fit I would have him in place of Porteous, who has done really well, but Daz needs game time.

I want to see Horgan play, but somebody has to step aside to give Scott Martin a game and as I said I want to see Slivka play, otherwise Horgan would be starting and if not him Hyndman.

Sadly once again I completely forgot about Danny Swanson until I was about to push the 'submit reply' button …. that's probably exactly how Neil Lennon thinks about him as well unfortunately.

PS
Screw the dot count for this one, its been an expensive old time following Hibs for the last few weeks and something had to give, which looks like being this game. We get back on track against Aberdeen.
I think Horgan and Hyndman will both start

NAE NOOKIE
18-08-2018, 11:26 AM

So do I mate.

wookie70
18-08-2018, 11:29 AM

I do too and if Mallan and Boyle also start we may struggle to have the ball for all that creativity to work