PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Bartley

PatHead
16-08-2018, 10:34 PM
Thought he was doing okay until he got injured. Any word on how bad his injury is?

It is a position that we do not have any cover for and might hurry up a signing.

Johnny_Leith
16-08-2018, 10:35 PM
Somebody put up in another thread he could be out for up to 8 weeks. He looked gutted coming off.

Borderhibbie76
16-08-2018, 10:44 PM
Lennon said post match up to 8 weeks so we are now even shorter in middle of park...few rabbits need to be pulled out a hat very soon

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Malthibby
16-08-2018, 10:45 PM
Somebody put up in another thread he could be out for up to 8 weeks. He looked gutted coming off.

If it's a hamstring he's out for a good while, bloody shame. As was me calling it a hamstering before I noticed. That wouldn't have been good either.......
GG

PatHead
16-08-2018, 10:51 PM
Not good news when he had just started a run in the team.

Unseen work
17-08-2018, 02:47 AM
Big big miss.

Winston Ingram
17-08-2018, 05:43 AM
If Marv is out for 8weeks our back 3 are sitting ducks.

MacGruber
17-08-2018, 06:02 AM
If Marv is out for 8weeks our back 3 are sitting ducks.

Rocky
McGregor
Bartley
McGeough
Allan
McGinn
Barker

No wonder really

Scouse Hibee
17-08-2018, 06:20 AM
Yes will be a big miss yet some were saying he was finished and not good enough on here a few weeks back.

theonlywayisup
17-08-2018, 06:21 AM
Rocky
McGregor
Bartley
McGeough
Allan
McGinn
Barker

No wonder really

In addition to those players, I don't think that Kamberi and Maclaren are up to anywhere near their performance level of last season.

Allant1981
17-08-2018, 06:24 AM
In addition to those players, I don't think that Kamberi and Maclaren are up to anywhere near their performance level of last season.

Kamberi is clearly carrying an injury and maclaren has hardly played, the service they got last night was non existant, hopefully in the next few games we get someone in that midfield who can dictate play and get them involved

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2018, 06:30 AM
Could be a blessing in disguise, we need better than big Marv in my opinion. Yes he's very good at breaking up play, but lets be honest here, he is poor when put under pressure on the ball, and gives us nothing going forward.

When we had McGeouch, he could get the ball in, retain it and recycle it quickly. Big Marvin takes an age to get the ball moving, because he's not that comfortable on it.

He's had some fantastic games for us in the past, although having the players around him that he had, made it easier for him.

Now i'm sorry, but we need better, we need someone much better in possession who can play under pressure, who can start things off and get round the pitch putting the opposition under pressure to by winning the ball and getting things going.

Hibee Mac
17-08-2018, 06:32 AM
Could be a blessing in disguise, we need better than big Marv in my opinion. Yes he's very good at breaking up play, but lets be honest here, he is poor when put under pressure on the ball, and gives us nothing going forward.

When we had McGeouch, he could get the ball in, retain it and recycle it quickly. Big Marvin takes an age to get the ball moving, because he's not that comfortable on it.

He's had some fantastic games for us in the past, although having the players around him that he had, made it easier for him.

Now i'm sorry, but we need better, we need someone much better in possession who can play under pressure, who can start things off and get round the pitch putting the opposition under pressure to by winning the ball and getting things going.

Totally agree.

We need Glen Kamara.

Dancehibs
17-08-2018, 06:58 AM

Agree. Marv was average in first division and slowed game down. Hence Lenny didn’t play him much last season

Winston Ingram
17-08-2018, 06:59 AM

I don't agree at all. I think he's fantastic at what he does and we look far better with him on the pitch. He sniffs out danger brilliantly and I can't ever remember him performing badly in a big game. He's had a brilliant start to the season and automatically made our back 3 look less shaky and freed up our other midfielders to go forward.

People focus on a supposed limited passing range. He gets it and gives it to the players with a better passing range. If he had a better one he'd likely be playing further forward.

Claude Makelele was arrguably the best holding midfielder in recent times. He certainly didn't have a great passing range. He just read the game, got it and gave it.

Brooster
17-08-2018, 07:06 AM
Playing Bartley for 80 mins in the home leg was one of the reasons we didn't take a lead to Molde. I can also see the merits in playing him last night, he would never have let the guy waltz through for the 2nd goal.

Winston Ingram
17-08-2018, 07:11 AM

Kamberi is clearly struggling with the injury. Let's be honest, Maclaren is nothing but a poacher. If he's not scoring he offers little else.

Winston Ingram
17-08-2018, 07:12 AM
Playing Bartley for 80 mins in the home leg was one of the reasons we didn't take a lead to Molde. I can also see the merits in playing him last night, he would never have let the guy waltz through for the 2nd goal.

He was one of the reasons they Molde didn't take a lead to Molde.

Brooster
17-08-2018, 07:21 AM
Molde didn't need (and didn't really try) to take a lead to Molde. On the other hand we really needed to take a lead to Molde.

keep the faith
17-08-2018, 07:34 AM
Totally agree.

We need Glen Kamara.

Genuine question on the clamour for Kamara. I remember him starting last season well but did he keep it up?

Can't remember much of him beyond early season. I could be wrong though.

Borderhibbie76
17-08-2018, 07:38 AM
In addition to those players, I don't think that Kamberi and Maclaren are up to anywhere near their performance level of last season.Because they aren't getting anything like the service they were getting last year from Dylan McGinn and Allan - that's the issue. That and the fact both are clearly not 100% fit

Borderhibbie76
17-08-2018, 07:40 AM

Now i'm sorry, but we need better, we need someone much better in possession who can play under pressure, who can start things off and get round the pitch putting the opposition under pressure to by winning the ball and getting things going.Couldn't agree more...I love big Marv but he's so limited in possession and moving the ball forward severely restricts our creativity especially when playing a back 3 - we need better for certain

Diclonius
17-08-2018, 07:41 AM
I would stick Martin in until we sign another DM tbh. See what he can do. Whittaker isn't on form right now.

BILLYHIBS
17-08-2018, 07:45 AM
On the contrary to other posters on here. I think big Marv has been doing ok lately indeed I would go as far to say the turning point last night was when he went off injured. We lost our holding player in midfield an intimidating presence in the middle of the park left our back three exposed and we had to change our shape. Our lack of strength in depth became apparent for all to see that weakness being another reason why Molde held all the trump cards imo!

Borderhibbie76
17-08-2018, 07:57 AM
On the contrary to other posters on here. I think big Marv has been doing ok lately indeed I would go as far to say the turning point last night was when he went off injured. We lost our holding player in midfield an intimidating presence in the middle of the park left our back three exposed and we had to change our shape. Our lack of strength in depth became apparent for all to see that weakness being another reason why Molde held all the trump cards imo!I agree with you in regards to last night Billy but playing Marv in the home leg meant a real lack of creativity in the middle of the park - We always struggle to break teams down when we play Marv plus a back 3 - he doesn't offer nearly enough in a forward sense. Games like last night and the uglies away and tiny-castle are made for Marv but apart from those types of games we need something else in his place...and I feel bad saying that as I love the big guy.

allezsauzee
17-08-2018, 08:04 AM
Regardless of whether Marv is injured for a bit or not, Mulumbu is the man I want to see signed up. Marv is a big player defensively , however in games where dominate possession, I think it's better to have a player who can move the ball quicker.

Smartie
17-08-2018, 08:05 AM
I agree with you in regards to last night Billy but playing Marv in the home leg meant a real lack of creativity in the middle of the park - We always struggle to break teams down when we play Marv plus a back 3 - he doesn't offer nearly enough in a forward sense. Games like last night and the uglies away and tiny-castle are made for Marv but apart from those types of games we need something else in his place...and I feel bad saying that as I love the big guy.

The home leg was a decent result - our problems came last night.

We didn't defend well enough and were lacking in the final third.

When Bartley was on the park we were doing fine, and he wasn't remotely culpable for the goal.

He's a proper defensive midfielder, the type you need in these games and he stopped them making chances.

It is the job of other players to create, and they didn't do it.

jeffers
17-08-2018, 08:20 AM
I don't agree at all. I think he's fantastic at what he does and we look far better with him on the pitch. He sniffs out danger brilliantly and I can't ever remember him performing badly in a big game. He's had a brilliant start to the season and automatically made our back 3 look less shaky and freed up our other midfielders to go forward.

People focus on a supposed limited passing range. He gets it and gives it to the players with a better passing range. If he had a better one he'd likely be playing further forward.

Claude Makelele was arrguably the best holding midfielder in recent times. He certainly didn't have a great passing range. He just read the game, got it and gave it.

Glad it's not just me, he's very good at what he does. I'm fed up with people focussing on his negatives. We looked less solid after he went off last night. He's there to do a job, which he does very well.

Dancehibs
17-08-2018, 08:20 AM
The home leg was a decent result - our problems came last night.

We didn't defend well enough and were lacking in the final third.

When Bartley was on the park we were doing fine, and he wasn't remotely culpable for the goal.

He's a proper defensive midfielder, the type you need in these games and he stopped them making chances.

It is the job of other players to create, and they didn't do it.
I don’t know what a proper defensive midfielder is but a good when takes ball from defence and links the play. Marv can’t do that. He was also lost for first goal as were others

BILLYHIBS
17-08-2018, 08:28 AM
I agree with you in regards to last night Billy but playing Marv in the home leg meant a real lack of creativity in the middle of the park - We always struggle to break teams down when we play Marv plus a back 3 - he doesn't offer nearly enough in a forward sense. Games like last night and the uglies away and tiny-castle are made for Marv but apart from those types of games we need something else in his place...and I feel bad saying that as I love the big guy.

Agree! Last night was made for Marv you could see the Norwegian players if not afraid were apprehensive about Big Marv. In the first leg I reckon Lennys hand was forced as we had little other option he did not know what to expect from Molde and if it did turn into a physical battle Marv was already there safe to say if SJM had still been at the club he would have started with Marv benched just in case it did get physical :wink:

jeffers
17-08-2018, 08:31 AM

After he went off last night we didn't create any more chances than we did when he was on. Rather than it continually being pointed out that his inclusion leads to less creativity maybe we should be focussing on the guys in the team who are picked to provide that. Mallan was OK last night, but Slivka put in another disappointing performance and once he went off, Bartley's replacement Hyndman had another average at best performance. For me the issue isn't the inclusion of Bartley it's the guys who have been picked to provide the creativity. I'll sound like a broken record but get Scott Allan in alongside Bartley and we won't be focussing on what Big Marv doesn't do so well.

Dancehibs
17-08-2018, 08:37 AM
After he went off last night we didn't create any more chances than we did when he was on. Rather than it continually being pointed out that his inclusion leads to less creativity maybe we should be focussing on the guys in the team who are picked to provide that. Mallan was OK last night, but Slivka put in another disappointing performance and once he went off, Bartley's replacement Hyndman had another average at best performance. For me the issue isn't the inclusion of Bartley it's the guys who have been picked to provide the creativity. I'll sound like a broken record but get Scott Allan in alongside Bartley and we won't be focussing on what Big Marv doesn't do so well.
Marv went off in first half. We created and missed chances in second half. Marv job isn’t to create tho

Smartie
17-08-2018, 08:48 AM
Marv went off in first half. We created and missed chances in second half. Marv job isn’t to create tho

Our best and most creative period was at the start of the game when Marv was on.

jacomo
17-08-2018, 08:58 AM

Easy to say we need better, but who? No doubt Hibs are working on a proper replacement for Dylan but it ain’t easy to find that kind of quality.

MB62
17-08-2018, 09:05 AM
Once more I will suggest moving Efe in there. It serves two purposes, gives us a more creative player in the middle who quite enjoys going forward, secondly, it gets him T.F. away from the defence.
Of course doing that means we desperately need to sign another centre half, but I think we need to do that anyway.

GreenArmyyy!
17-08-2018, 09:11 AM

Poor finishing and wonderful goalkeeping was the reason we didn’t take a lead to Molde, absolutely nothing to do with Marvin Bartley. The only time we had a foothold in the midfield over the two games was when he was on the pitch.

Dancehibs
17-08-2018, 09:22 AM
Our best and most creative period was at the start of the game when Marv was on.
Not on the game I watched

SirDavidsNapper
17-08-2018, 09:25 AM
All those mocking Barra's injury might know what karma is now. Hope Marv makes a swift recovery.

Borderhibbie76
17-08-2018, 09:35 AM
After he went off last night we didn't create any more chances than we did when he was on. Rather than it continually being pointed out that his inclusion leads to less creativity maybe we should be focussing on the guys in the team who are picked to provide that. Mallan was OK last night, but Slivka put in another disappointing performance and once he went off, Bartley's replacement Hyndman had another average at best performance. For me the issue isn't the inclusion of Bartley it's the guys who have been picked to provide the creativity. I'll sound like a broken record but get Scott Allan in alongside Bartley and we won't be focussing on what Big Marv doesn't do so well.Yeah early days but not been that impressed by Hyndman yet tbh didn't thibk he was great last night nor Perth on Sunday and no idea about Slivka he flatters to deceive

Iain G
17-08-2018, 09:48 AM
Once more I will suggest moving Efe in there. It serves two purposes, gives us a more creative player in the middle who quite enjoys going forward, secondly, it gets him T.F. away from the defence.
Of course doing that means we desperately need to sign another centre half, but I think we need to do that anyway.

Can we get Fonts back? :greengrin

makaveli1875
17-08-2018, 09:56 AM
Genuine question on the clamour for Kamara. I remember him starting last season well but did he keep it up?

Can't remember much of him beyond early season. I could be wrong though.

People that think kamara is the 2nd coming of McGinn will be dissapointed if he signs . He's like Bartley with neater passing , he doesnt drive forward with the ball and wont score any goals

Dancehibs
17-08-2018, 09:57 AM
People that think kamara is the 2nd coming of McGinn will be dissapointed if he signs . He's like Bartley with neater passing , he doesnt drive forward with the ball and wont score any goals
He’d replace Dylan. Suspect it may not happen Dundee want too much cash

SquashedFrogg
17-08-2018, 10:47 AM
All those mocking Barra's injury might know what karma is now. Hope Marv makes a swift recovery.

Please let me know how I should react when something bad happens to our rivals. Should I show sympathy? Maybe send a card?

I hope Berra's injury finishes his Hearts career. There, said it.

Smartie
17-08-2018, 11:15 AM
Not on the game I watched

Well, we'll need to agree to disagree.

I was quite happy after half an hour, and thought we were doing fine.

We lost a bad goal, lost Bartley and fell out the game although yes, we did continue to create the odd opening and half-chance.

Hibee Ryan
17-08-2018, 11:21 AM
You are probably right. We do need to look at getting someone slightly better than Marv but unfortunately all I think we are going to get is more of Whittaker playing that role and I don't think he's any better than Bartley.

Hermit Crab
17-08-2018, 11:21 AM
Some on here were laughing at Berra after his hammy injury. Not so funny now when its one of your own players.

Blaster
17-08-2018, 11:23 AM
Some on here were laughing at Berra after his hammy injury. Not so funny now when its one of your own players.

I like Bartley but Berra is the bigger loss out the two. And out for much longer as well

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2018, 11:24 AM

I can still easily laugh at Berra, while having sympathy for one of our players. :confused:

Mr_F
17-08-2018, 11:25 AM

You printing off t-shirts to wear in support of Berra aye?

Hermit Crab
17-08-2018, 11:27 AM
You printing off t-shirts to wear in support of Berra aye?

You just answered your own question...

Craig_HFC
17-08-2018, 11:35 AM
So it’s our fault that Marvin Bartley got injured because some people found it funny when the captain of our rivals got injured a few days before...

Away and don’t talk *****.

Hermit Crab
17-08-2018, 11:40 AM
So it’s our fault that Marvin Bartley got injured because some people found it funny when the captain of our rivals got injured a few days before...

Away and don’t talk *****.

Nah its nobodies fault he got injured. Just saying folk were laughing at Berra getting injured, not so funny now when it happens to one of our own when we are already short on midfielders who can play the Bartley role.

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2018, 11:46 AM
Nah its nobodies fault he got injured. Just saying folk were laughing at Berra getting injured, not so funny now when it happens to one of our own when we are already short on midfielders who can play the Bartley role.

I dont know who you are talking for here, but i find Berras injury just as funny today as i did on saturday? :confused:

Craig_HFC
17-08-2018, 11:46 AM

I wasn’t referencing your post, more the guy who was talking about ‘karma’ and all that pish.

Brooster
17-08-2018, 11:51 AM
I make no apology for laughing at Berras injury.

keep the faith
17-08-2018, 12:06 PM

Yeah. That's where I was on this. I'm not sure why he has suddenly been pitched as the answer. It's Scott Allan we need badly IMO.

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2018, 12:08 PM

Aye but i bet your not laughing now? :wink:

Kato
17-08-2018, 12:22 PM
I dont know who you are talking for here, but i find Berras injury just as funny today as i did on saturday? :confused:

Bartley got injured on a plastic pitch playing away in Europe.

Berra got injured at home catching his feet in grass his manager kept over-long in an attempt to stop good football being played.

If I was to laugh at one of them I'd laugh at the one laden with irony.

cmcd
17-08-2018, 12:40 PM

I have supported Hibs for well over 60 years and in that time I have never wished any player from any club a bad injury.

Mr_F
17-08-2018, 12:42 PM

So i'll cancel your Berra T-shirt too then...

The_Horde
17-08-2018, 12:51 PM

I bet you're delighted.

Hermit Crab
17-08-2018, 12:53 PM
I bet you're delighted.

Yeah over the moon we've lost another player in the middle of the park, an area where we are already lacking. I'm ecstatic. :rolleyes:

easty
17-08-2018, 12:57 PM

I'm still laughing about that :aok: not sure what it has to do with Bartley being injured though??

If a bird ****s on someone in the street, I laugh. If it ****s on me, I don't. I think that's pretty normal.

GreenNWhiteArmy
17-08-2018, 01:09 PM
Gutted for the big man

Bartley was our best player in the first leg. Obviously the sponsor fancied meeting Boyle so gave it to him. We were completely over run in the middle at times with only him offering any real defensive support. Without the energy and battle of Mcginn, and the composure on the ball of Dylan we are looking light in the middle right now

Hopefully its not as bad as first feared. Think we may need 2 CMs now but Marvin Bartley more than has his part to play this season for me

The_Horde
17-08-2018, 01:11 PM
Yeah over the moon we've lost another player in the middle of the park, an area where we are already lacking. I'm ecstatic. :rolleyes:

I'm starting to think you get a kick out of it when things go wrong and you can press all your panic buttons. Hence your constant fear of things like karma and hearts.

You might not even be fully aware of it.