PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Molde 160818)

Jonnyboy
16-08-2018, 08:56 PM
As I’ve said before, it’s not easy writing this stuff when all you’ve got to go on is television pictures and it’s even harder when the pictures you are watching are provided by a single camera with no instant replays. Nevertheless, that’s what I’m going to do and so I hope the reader will bear in mind that hard work and effort off the ball is not going to be described/included. It may well have happened but for the most part, I didn’t see it if it did.

Going into the game Lenny was confident that Hibs would score and therefore make the job of Molde all the more difficult. I confess, I thought the same because we came so close on several occasions in the home leg. If we could play the same way and look to convert chances we’d be in with a good shout of progressing. Sadly, it was not to be and in the end we went out with a whimper.

I thought we started well enough and enjoyed some good periods of possession but we were toothless in the final third with Flo and Jamie seeming to contribute very little. Some half chances came our way and Stevie Mallan twice tested the Norwegian goalie. For their part, Molde also fashioned a couple of chances and Hibs were very lucky when a ball into the box allowed a free header but the Molde player put the ball high and wide.

At this point I was thinking we were still very much in the hunt but we then conceded a very cheap goal. A high cross from the right reached our back post where a Molde player outmuscled Efe in the jump to send the ball back across goal and Haaland was unchallenged in heading home. It was a real blow and the home side put the foot on the gas to try and get a second. Hibs’ cause was not helped when Bartley went down holding his hamstring about five minutes before the break and I confess I was somewhat surprised that he was replaced by Hyndman when Whittaker or Martin might have been the obvious choice.

As they did at Easter Road the hosts started the second half brightly, although one of the best chances of the half fell to Boyler who contrived to push a weak effort wide of the post. Not long after, Hibs were guilty of some criminal marking as Hestad picked the ball up inside his own half and galloped unchallenged right down the middle of the park before finding Haaland who quickly moved the ball onto Auresnes for an easy tap in. I’m sure Lenny would have been apoplectic at that scenario, I know I was.

A glimmer of hope surfaced when Maclaren lost his marker in the box but his low header beat the keeper, only to come back off the base of a post before being cleared. Had that gone in, who knows how Molde would have reacted? As it was, it didn’t and with around ten minutes left the hosts shredded Hibs’ defence and scored a third through Haaland.

It was really poor stuff from Hibs with my brother voicing the view that they’d played like they did when Aberdeen ripped them apart at Pittodrie last season.

I’m going to offer my views as always on how each player performed but again I must say my views are based entirely on television pictures.

The players

Adam – Although beaten three times, I don’t think it would be fair to blame him for conceding any of them. The lad needs to work on his kicking though.

Efe – As polished as he was against St Johnstone he was very erratic tonight and should have done a lot better at the first goal.

Ryan – Porty was booked early in the first half for a ‘robust’ tackle and subsequently had to tread warily for the rest of the game. I thought Haaland got the better of him on a few occasions but one thing I won’t criticise the laddie on is his bravery as, once again, he put his body on the line when it mattered.

Paul – For me, Paul had a pretty jittery night and was not his usual composed self. Ventured forward a few times, lost the ball and left us light at the back for a counter attack.

Boyler – Lenny has rightly been talking Boyler up but tonight I thought he was woeful and I’d have replaced him at half time with David Gray. The number of times he went past a man but forgot to take the ball with him was horrendous.

Slivka – Once again he flitted in and out of the game and while he picked out a few decent passes he seemed to go missing for periods too.

Marv – The big fella was doing ok I thought but his hamstring injury will likely keep him out for a week or two.

Stevie – Another who flitted in and out, two decent efforts at goal but knocked off the ball too easily in a packed midfield.

Lewis – I thought Lewis was doing ok but has to take his share of the responsibility in a defence that shipped three very avoidable goals.

Jamie – He might have been working his socks off but the TV pictures didn’t show that. On a couple of occasions he made clever runs off the back of a defender but no end product.

Flo – This was quite possibly his worst performance in a Hibs strip. Contributed virtually nothing and failed on almost every occasion to hold the ball up.

Emerson – The TV pictures were from a distance and I may have kept mixing him and Mallan up as both are very slight in build and both are easily bullied off the ball.

Oli – I was pleased to see him coming on but I’d have hooked Kamberi rather than Maclaren.

SDG – Two minutes left, 3-0 down …. I mean what was the point.

Lenny – Haven’t heard his views but I’m pretty sure he’ll be an angry man tonight.

Man of the match – I couldn’t in all honesty give that to a player; instead I’m giving it to the band of Hibs fans that made the trip, sang their lungs out and cheered the players at the end. Every man, woman and child of you, take a bow.

The ref – The Dutchman didn’t really get much wrong to be fair.

Finally – I hate when we lose; I hate when we fold like we did; I’m sure my fellow Hibs fans will be hurting as much as me but on the drive home from Livingston, where I went to watch the game, I came to the conclusion that we should be proud of our club for coming so far over the last couple of seasons. It’s been an education and I hope the players learned from it.

Billy Whizz
16-08-2018, 09:06 PM
Spot on report JB, can’t disgree with any of it. Just disappointed we weren’t in the mix at the end of the game

Maybe some running on empty, but we’ve done really well to get to the 3rd round. Let’s make this a regular thing to qualify for Europe though

Well done to all the fans who’ve attended the Europa games home and away, at quite a considerable expense, as the draws we got didn’t make it easy for them all

Greenbeard
16-08-2018, 09:09 PM
Sounded on the radio that Hibs were very competitive in the first half creating a few openings and at half time I was still upbeat about our chances of equalising and going through, but that didn't last too long. Shame if they did go out with a whimper but hey, in the mix and good on the team for a pretty decent Euro campaign. Strengthen, finish top 3, then aim for the group stages 19-20.

Smartie
16-08-2018, 09:20 PM
I'm afraid I'm going to get torn into Efe.

It's early in the season, but he's already had far too many shaky performances and been personally culpable for too many goals.

Faroes away, 1st half at home to Asteras, the mistake for the goal in Greece and now tonight - that's not good enough from one of our top players so early in the season.

He started last season badly but improved - he needs to buck his ideas up if he's to stay at Hibs and we are to either stand still or improve.

I agree he was excellent at St Johnstone, he was good against Motherwell and in the 2nd half at home to Asteras. Very good, actually.

But if we are going to compete regularly in Europe, we need better European performances from this senior player.

This wild fluctuation in form is unacceptable, and his inability to carry out bread and butter defensive tasks is alarming.

Our whole team now looks set up to accommodate him, which is fine if he's doing the business. But when he isn't playing well, and without McGinn, McGeouch and Allan, our 3-5-2 looks a lot less robust than it did last year.

Individually I thought most of our other players were ok, and Porteous was motm.

And I seriously hope David Gray was in a really fragile state and unable to play tonight - he has proven time and again that he is not a man to leave out of these games.

Jonnyboy
16-08-2018, 09:31 PM

It's early in the season, but he's already had far too many shaky performances and been personally culpable for too many goals.

Faroes away, 1st half at home to Asteras, the mistake for the goal in Greece and now tonight - that's not good enough from one of our top players so early in the season.

He started last season badly but improved - he needs to buck his ideas up if he's to stay at Hibs and we are to either stand still or improve.

I agree he was excellent at St Johnstone, he was good against Motherwell and in the 2nd half at home to Asteras. Very good, actually.

But if we are going to compete regularly in Europe, we need better European performances from this senior player.

This wild fluctuation in form is unacceptable, and his inability to carry out bread and butter defensive tasks is alarming.

Our whole team now looks set up to accommodate him, which is fine if he's doing the business. But when he isn't playing well, and without McGinn, McGeouch and Allan, our 3-5-2 looks a lot less robust than it did last year.

Individually I thought most of our other players were ok, and Porteous was motm.

And I seriously hope David Gray was in a really fragile state and unable to play tonight - he has proven time and again that he is not a man to leave out of these games.

I said to my brother that Efe's head goes down when we concede. Not a good trait in a defender

Johnny_Leith
16-08-2018, 09:45 PM
I've had a few hours to reflect on tonight's performance, and the two legs on general.

I'm disappointed to go out. I think all 3 goals tonight were very poor and throughout the tie we had our chances to put them out or at least make more of a game of it!

I didn't think molde were unbeatable or a level above us, we gifted them some goals in an awful second leg performance. We didn't offer anywhere near what I think we are capable of, and we looked like we missed the steel of a Neil Lennon hibs team

We can move on and have a successful season, of that I have no doubt, but tonight has to serve as a benchmark for doing better.

Bit of a reality check for us I think. Few players should be very disappointed in themselves, mainly Boyle and slivka. I'm also very disappointed the management never came over to acknowledge the fans at the end.

Anyway onto Ross county. Mon the hibs.

SideBurns
16-08-2018, 09:53 PM

I didn't see the game tonight so in no position to comment on Efe's performance. But as for SDG, I can only trust that he wasn't fit enough - either physically or mentally - to start the game. Maybe he was up all night waiting on the bairn coming oot. In normal circumstances he'd be the first name on my team sheet for any game - an inspirational captain, and even more important in that respect since the influence of McGinn is no longer available to us.

PatHead
16-08-2018, 10:12 PM
I think we lost this tie in the first leg by not taking our chances. At half time I thought we had a chance but it wasn’t to be. Difficult to comment on the match tonight based on the single camera but can’t disagree with your comments.

SideBurns
16-08-2018, 10:22 PM
I think we lost this tie in the first leg by not taking our chances. At half time I thought we had a chance but it wasn’t to be. Difficult to comment on the match tonight based on the single camera but can’t disagree with your comments.

That was my thoughts at the end of the first leg. I thought we'd played really well, especially in the last half hour, and their goalie kept them in it. I just didn't fancy us to get another result away from home, although by all accounts if we'd played anything like we are capable of then it was achievable tonight.

NAE NOOKIE
16-08-2018, 10:36 PM
Apart from about 20 minutes of the 2nd half on the radio and following the thread on here I cant comment on individual players or how we played overall from personal experience.

But once again its a game where Slivka is damned with faint praise …. This isn't some raw young kid just promoted from the youth academy like Porteous or Shaw …. He has played over 20 games for Hibs, 40 games in Holland and games for a few other clubs in Italy and elsewhere, he also has 26 international caps .. as is constantly repeated he was also deemed good enough by Juventus to be offered a long term contract.

What we have here is what appears to be another tepid performance where his influence on the game was negligible …. I'm getting fed up of hearing 'Slivka did a few good things but drifted in and out of the game' … time for this guy to step up or move to a club or country where his approach to the game is more suited …. I really am beginning to think its time to cut our losses with him.

Malthibby
16-08-2018, 10:42 PM
Apart from about 20 minutes of the 2nd half on the radio and following the thread on here I cant comment on individual players or how we played overall from personal experience.

But once again its a game where Slivka is damned with faint praise …. This isn't some raw young kid just promoted from the youth academy like Porteous or Shaw …. He has played over 20 games for Hibs, 40 games in Holland and games for a few other clubs in Italy and elsewhere, he also has 26 international caps .. as is constantly repeated he was also deemed good enough by Juventus to be offered a long term contract.

What we have here is what appears to be another tepid performance where his influence on the game was negligible …. I'm getting fed up of hearing 'Slivka did a few good things but drifted in and out of the game' … time for this guy to step up or move to a club or country where his approach to the game is more suited …. I really am beginning to think its time to cut our losses with him.

Don't think picking on one player is useful, we ran out of ideas and can't complain when we lose 3:0. The team lost, we need to learn.
GG

Thecat23
16-08-2018, 10:46 PM

Bang on. 👍🏼

jeffers
16-08-2018, 10:50 PM

Agree with that. He has ability and I genuinely thought he'd be a big player for us this season, but it's been much the same as last season - a good half here and there but pretty much anonymous most of the time. I'm still not sure what his best position is.

cabbageandribs1875
17-08-2018, 12:22 AM
SDG – Two minutes left, 3-0 down …. I mean what was the point.

one criticism i have of NL and i've made the point a few times...why on earth he gives players so little time to have any effect on a game baffles me, 2-0 down after 66 mins and only an enforced sub for Marv in the first half, instead he waited until only 14 mins left to change it a bit, if it's not working ******* try FIX it ffs don't wait until it gets even worse,what the heck did we have to lose :( but then i'm not a football manager :)

p.s. i'l refrain from typing my thoughts on boyle

PeeJay
17-08-2018, 06:07 AM
Finally – I hate when we lose; I hate when we fold like we did; I’m sure my fellow Hibs fans will be hurting as much as me but on the drive home from Livingston, where I went to watch the game, I came to the conclusion that we should be proud of our club for coming so far over the last couple of seasons. It’s been an education and I hope the players learned from it.

Good report as usual with fine conclusion. Thought as a TEAM we weren't as well organised or as cohesive as they were - and that made the difference IMO. Wouldn't single out individual players myself - was badly disappointed last night, but today I think our lack of experience and our obvious deficiency in tactical "cleverness" coupled with poor decision-making on and off the ball when it mattered let us down - there was no real need for us to go out this way, but we did - that's the way it is: another lost opportunity.