PDA

View Full Version : Why are Molde so strong?

Ozyhibby
16-08-2018, 07:37 PM
Their average gate is only about 8k and yet they are performing better than any of our clubs (except Celtic) in Europe every season?
The Norwegian tv deal is double ours (nice one Doncaster) but that only accounts for an extra £2m per club. That would just about cover the shortfall from their gates but doesn’t explain why they do consistently better? Is there better value to be had getting players from Scandinavia? We could certainly offer them a cheaper cost of living and lower tax.
This isn’t a complaint, just wondering why it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H18 SFR
16-08-2018, 07:39 PM
Good coach, players that fit their system, half way through their season, play as a team, few unforced errors.

SRHibs
16-08-2018, 07:41 PM
I don’t think they are. If we’d been half way through our season with a settled squad we would have won. They have a huge advantage in Europe with their match sharpness being so high.

Or maybe Gordon Strachan is right. Genetics. 🤔

makaveli1875
We lost our Star man on the eve of the 1st leg , they kept theirs and he was the difference in the end .

If we had kept SJM and they lost him its a different story . Thems the breaks i suppose

GreenArmy1875
Much more comfortable on the ball than our players. Movement is also very good.

JohnM1875
16-08-2018, 07:44 PM
I honestly think the main thing is when they start their season. We noticeably tired towards the end of the first leg and I think again tonight.

Ozyhibby
16-08-2018, 07:45 PM

I know they have good players, I’m just wondering how they can afford them with those crowds?

Pretty Boy
16-08-2018, 07:48 PM
I know there has been talk of them being half way through their season but on the results pages I can find it seems there was no games between 9th July and 5th August and they only played 1 league game between that gap and playing Hibs with a further game between the home and away leg.

Do they have a summer break of some kind? Cup games?

Viva_Palmeiras
16-08-2018, 07:51 PM
I know they have good players, I’m just wondering how they can afford them with those crowds?

Do they not have a sugar daddy type bod who paid for their stadium? Bit of an extravagance but fair play capacity is 11k no?
I’d imagine Livi’s cost a fraction (I know I know) and for only 1k less capacity.

truehibernian
16-08-2018, 07:52 PM

Double the television money (each season) that Scottish top league gets, they play many of their games on synthetic pitches which gives advantages to the home side (with astro), they have far better facilities (indoor) throughout the country for youth football, and lastly they don't have a horrible relationship with alcohol that many of our footballers have in the top flight and in the lower leagues.

TheCabbage
16-08-2018, 07:53 PM
I know there has been talk of them being half ea6 through their season but on the results pages I can find it seems there was no games between 9th July and 5th August and they only played 1 league game between that gap and playing Hibs with a further game between the home and away leg.

Do they have a summer break of some kind? Cup games?

Possibly a break so as not to clash with the world cup?

Keith_M
16-08-2018, 07:55 PM
Sad to say, but Scottish players, on the whole, just look to be less skillful than their counterparts in a lot of other countries.

How many times have we seen players 'trapping' a ball five yards in the past few weeks? The two teams I've watched us play in Europe this season just seem to have that bit more skill.

That has to be related to the kind of coaching kids receive.

Also, Hibs have, for quite a few years now, been making so many many chances in a game and only scoring small number of those... only for the opposition to score with over half their paltry number of shots at goal. If anybody has an answer to that problem, I'm sure we'd love to hear what it is.

Pretty Boy
16-08-2018, 07:57 PM
Possibly a break so as not to clash with the world cup?

I thought that might be the case.

Fife-Hibee
16-08-2018, 07:58 PM
Attitudes, health and living standards make a huge difference also. Not to say that the attitudes and health of our players are rotten, but theirs are just simply better. Health is at the forefront of many scandinavian countries, it's in their culture. Molde are a team made up of predominantly Norwegians and Swedes, which together make up a population of around 15 million. They have better options closer to home than what we have.

Fife-Hibee
16-08-2018, 08:00 PM
Also, Hibs have, for quite a few years now, been making so many many chances in a game and only scoring small number of those... only for the opposition to score with over half their paltry number of shots at goal. If anybody has an answer to that problem, I'm sure we'd love to hear what it is.

Because it's not just about how many chances a team creates in the game, but the standard of the chances created. Teams who score from a higher percentage of their chances, generally do so because they create better quality chances. Where as we create plenty of poor to average chances, which still register as chances, even although they're more difficult to score from.

Hi Heid Yin
16-08-2018, 08:07 PM
It's really not rocket science:
Molde are a good team half-way through their season.
They have increased fitness, sharpness and momentum, as demonstrated in their 5-1 win against the league leaders last Sunday.
They also, crucially, have a settled team and play to a system that they are absolutely comfortable with on their "Plastic pitch!".
Oh yes, not forgetting they have a potential "world class", future superstar in their ranks, who proved his worth by netting a double against us tonight.
They had so many advantages over our side, it's laughable.
Our team is not up and running fully, has numerous players who are just through the door, who are adjusting to their new team-mates and the brand of football Neil Lennon wants us to play. We additionally have rustiness en-masse running through our entire squad.
Quite simply, we were also beaten by the ridiculous situation faced by Scottish clubs every year - timing! European games come too soon in our season and give our clubs next to no chance to get up to speed.
Little wonder then that even Maltese minnows (such as faced by The Jambos) can turn over our sides.
Put us up against Molde in, say, January, and then let's see who is the better team.

As a wee footnote: I'm more than happy with our wee run in Europe as it gave us some extra and much needed revenue and a wee taste of something different.

LancsHibs
16-08-2018, 08:07 PM
We haven’t even got our team sorted for the season ahead yet! That’s the difference, they have a settled team

neil7908
16-08-2018, 08:08 PM

That's what I noticed. They always tried to pass the ball and every player looked pretty comfortable doing so and moving into space. They are tied that with being a big, physical team who could get stuck in and win headers. They aren't world beaters but much better than anyone in Scotland bar Celtic. They might even give them a run for the their money this season.

The Scottish football authorities have a lot to answer for. Their absolute singles minded obsession with the Ugly Sisters has ruined ourselves game and resulted in zero interest internationally which is reflected in our TV deals.

CMurdoch
16-08-2018, 08:09 PM

Have they bought players or do they just farm their own and bring others in much as we do?

A credible TV deal would definitely help clubs like ourselves when combined with our healthy income from our home support..

Their passing was fantastic in both matches and made us look a bit hit and hope.

RoxburghHibs
16-08-2018, 08:09 PM
Much bigger budget due to TV deal. Scottish football really is a third rate country as far as TV income is concerned.

SouthMoroccoStu
16-08-2018, 08:11 PM
18 games into their season vs 2 games into our is the big factor here

Give our guys time to get match fit, match sharp and get to know each other.

Would love to see the roles reversed

And not playing on a plastic pitch

This isn’t excuse making, they are still a great team, probably better than we’ll face all season in Scotland

truehibernian
16-08-2018, 08:11 PM
Sad to say, but Scottish players, on the whole, just look to be less skillful than their counterparts in a lot of other countries.

How many times have we seen players 'trapping' a ball five yards in the past few weeks? The two teams I've watched us play in Europe this season just seem to have that bit more skill.

Interesting points you re. youth football mate - my own view having watched some of the Performance School kids is that they all think they've made it already at the age of 13 and 14. The coaching system is geared towards 'positive coaching', some of which I fully understand - but kids need to know that even if they sign with a pro club they've nowhere near made it. You cannot coach humility sadly, I think that's innate. Added to which they don't do nearly enough work when coached. I'd love to know how many clubs in Scotland make their young players do morning and afternoon sessions, and not purely physical work but tactical work, healthy lifestyle coaching, and wellbeing coaching.

Far far too many of our youngsters with talent fall away. For me that's because coaches aren't coaching kids properly, and not just football, but how they lead their life on and off the pitch (and trust me I know as I've had to help a lot of young players through non-footballing issues which could have been prevented with far better 'life' coaching from football coaches - in other words, football coaches themselves need to 'diversify' and see coaching youths as more than just football on a pitch).

neil7908
16-08-2018, 08:12 PM

I think this is closer to getting it right. I'm not totally convinced fitness is such an issue. We'd played 7 competitive games before tonight, surely we shouldn't be that far behind them? Other posters are also suggesting they had a month break for the World Cup.

rcarter1
16-08-2018, 08:13 PM
Because it's not just about how many chances a team creates in the game, but the standard of the chances created. Teams who score from a higher percentage of their chances, generally do so because they create better quality chances. Where as we create plenty of poor to average chances, which still register as chances, even although they're more difficult to score from.

Totally agree, 20 shots on goal from 25 yards into a throng of defenders and a goalie that can see it coming, vs 3 chances from 5 yards with the attacker running at speed into the space. Id take the 3 to win most times.

We may struggle in the first set of 11 matches. Lets hope we can work out an effective system by the time we go to Tynecastle.. :devil:

Agyepong to join, Horgan,Mallan and Hyndeman to gel - with each other and the front players. Porteous gaining experience, and Ollie Shaw knocking on the door. McLaren, Kamberi and Boyle to (re) develop an understanding in attack.

I think we can have a really decent season if we can work out how to make the best of what we have..

Chorley Hibee
16-08-2018, 08:14 PM

Technically, I think we always look inferior to most European opposition. Things such as control of the ball, player movement, composure - and the speed in which they move the ball amongst themselves, always seem to leave us chasing.

A Hi-Bee
16-08-2018, 08:15 PM
We haven’t even got our team sorted for the season ahead yet! That’s the difference, they have a settled team

An they can all lift heavy weights.

Chorley Hibee
16-08-2018, 08:17 PM
Interesting points you re. youth football mate - my own view having watched some of the Performance School kids is that they all think they've made it already at the age of 13 and 14. The coaching system is geared towards 'positive coaching', some of which I fully understand - but kids need to know that even if they sign with a pro club they've nowhere near made it. You cannot coach humility sadly, I think that's innate. Added to which they don't do nearly enough work when coached. I'd love to know how many clubs in Scotland make their young players do morning and afternoon sessions, and not purely physical work but tactical work, healthy lifestyle coaching, and wellbeing coaching.

Far far too many of our youngsters with talent fall away. For me that's because coaches aren't coaching kids properly, and not just football, but how they lead their life on and off the pitch (and trust me I know as I've had to help a lot of young players through non-footballing issues which could have been prevented with far better 'life' coaching from football coaches - in other words, football coaches themselves need to 'diversify' and see coaching youths as more than just football on a pitch).

Great post.

Smartie
16-08-2018, 08:21 PM

That's what it looked most like to me.

I thought they looked a far more cohesive unit, experienced, streetwise and well-drilled.

We look like a team in transition, still trying to work out what each player offers and which combination to play.

Funnily enough, I also think they carried a bit of luck. They weren't always defensively brilliant and if one of the balls we flashed across their goal connected with someone along the way then we'd have had our away goal and the entire tie would have looked different.

Goals change games.

calumhibee1
16-08-2018, 08:26 PM
I don’t think they are. If we’d been half way through our season with a settled squad we would have won. They have a huge advantage in Europe with their match sharpness being so high.

Or maybe Gordon Strachan is right. Genetics. 🤔

I’m not sure I buy into the match sharpness thing that a lot of people have mentioned. Were now 8 games into our season, were at peak match sharpness surely? I think we were probably just beaten by a better more clinical team.

Smartie
16-08-2018, 08:35 PM
I’m not sure I buy into the match sharpness thing that a lot of people have mentioned. Were now 8 games into our season, were at peak match sharpness surely? I think we were probably just beaten by a better more clinical team.

I don't think it's fitness or match sharpness.

We've lost McGinn, McGeough and Allan from the midfield. It is impossible to have a new unit in place of them and up to speed at this point.

Kamberi has been injured, McLaren is just in the door and not yet up to speed.

The back 3 haven't played many games together.

Horgan is ineligible, we haven't seen Agyepong yet. Who know how fit anyone we sign will be, and how long it will take them to get settled in the team.

Northern Hibby
16-08-2018, 08:36 PM
Passing and trapping

Hibby Bairn
16-08-2018, 08:37 PM
What is this “trapping” you speak of?

stoneyburn hibs
16-08-2018, 08:38 PM
Maybe mindset ?
It's synonymous Scotland and brave.

Dan Sarf
16-08-2018, 08:59 PM
What is this “trapping” you speak of?

:greengrin

OxoHibby
16-08-2018, 09:02 PM

So how many Scots played tonight and how many Norwegians?

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2018, 09:08 PM

Been saying this for years, i think we should be bringing in much more foreign players than we do. They seem much more professional, better ability and do seem stronger and bigger.

Obviously we should be going after the best Scottish players we can afford, but if there are better available for the same price, then i'm all for doing that.

BILLYHIBS
16-08-2018, 09:30 PM
They have increased fitness, sharpness and momentum, as demonstrated in their 5-1 win against the league leaders last Sunday.
They also, crucially, have a settled team and play to a system that they are absolutely comfortable with on their "Plastic pitch!".
Oh yes, not forgetting they have a potential "world class", future superstar in their ranks, who proved his worth by netting a double against us tonight.
Our team is not up and running fully, has numerous players who are just through the door, who are adjusting to their new team-mates and the brand of football Neil Lennon wants us to play. We additionally have rustiness en-masse running through our entire squad.
Quite simply, we were also beaten by the ridiculous situation faced by Scottish clubs every year - timing! European games come too soon in our season and give our clubs next to no chance to get up to speed.
Little wonder then that even Maltese minnows (such as faced by The Jambos) can turn over our sides.
Put us up against Molde in, say, January, and then let's see who is the better team.

As a wee footnote: I'm more than happy with our wee run in Europe as it gave us some extra and much needed revenue and a wee taste of something different.
This!

Ole Gunnar Smiling Assasin said in his press conference before the first leg that their plastic pitch is a big advantage to them. It was the main reason they were able to defeat Celtic. You could see when the game kicked off the HIBS players were slipping all over the place and was a contributory factor in young Ryan’s booking. But hey fair play the better team on the night won fair and square!

The_Horde
16-08-2018, 09:39 PM
Thought they were average and we more than matched them but shot ourselves in the foot and didn't take our chances. They were experienced and clinical, we were naive and wasteful.

Inconsequential
16-08-2018, 10:00 PM
I recall as a young lad in the 1974/75 season Hibs beat Rosenburg the current champions of Norway 9-1 at Easter Rd in a European tie. Has Scottish football regressed in these years or have the Scandinavians progressed? At that time the Scandinavians were considered minnows and a easy draw.

ekhibee
16-08-2018, 11:41 PM
Attitudes, health and living standards make a huge difference also. Not to say that the attitudes and health of our players are rotten, but theirs are just simply better. Health is at the forefront of many scandinavian countries, it's in their culture. Molde are a team made up of predominantly Norwegians and Swedes, which together make up a population of around 15 million. They have better options closer to home than what we have.
Another factor to consider is that there was a very high percentage of alcoholism in the Scandinavian countries, particularly Sweden and Norway. I think it was either the late 70's or early 80's the decision was taken to raise the price of beer to an exhorbitant price in an attempt to reduce the drinking culture in these countries and it seemed to work. So the general public in these countries didn't really have an option, it was a choice made for them. We still have that drinking culture, and not that much is done to change it IMO.

Nakedmanoncrack
17-08-2018, 12:16 AM
40 years ago a Scottish club draws a Norwegian club - it's a formality.

All the excuses trotted out now applied then, we have got so accustomed to making excuses, we only try to make up some new ones.

I honestly think from watching a lot of youth football that we are going the right way as a nation, in terms of technique we aren't miles behind, it in in terms of mental side of the game, the thought, the invention, even just the awareness- we look a long way behind

houstonhibbee
17-08-2018, 12:16 AM

Didn't prevent The Rangers beating a very good Maribor side, probably better than Molde.

I think we were beaten by superior quality - and yes their 18 year old superstar was probably the difference - scored two and made the other

Mixu62
17-08-2018, 01:52 AM
If we can ever get to the stage where we play a Euro tie with the team that got us there, then we'll see progress. That sadly means getting more money from tv deals in order to hang in to our talent more. With donkey in charge, that's not likely.

Hi Heid Yin
17-08-2018, 02:13 AM
Didn't prevent The Rangers beating a very good Maribor side, probably better than Molde.

I think we were beaten by superior quality - and yes their 18 year old superstar was probably the difference - scored two and made the other

When two teams are evenly matched (ie Hibs and Molde), the factors I mentioned in my last post then come into play. I maintain that were we to meet Molde in, say, January, we might very well see a different outcome. I do concede that their "superstar" might even then be the difference again.

As for The Rangers: well, despite their ring-rustiness, they are a better side (quality wise) than Maribor, so were able to overcome them....just as we overcame the Greeks in the last round.

HibernianJK
17-08-2018, 03:52 AM
That was our 9th competitive game this year. We should be sharp and fresh. Don’t see how them being half way through a season should give them a massive advantage.

cad
17-08-2018, 04:25 AM

Agree mate ,I find it laughable that an excuse put forward for the basics of controlling and passing a ball is put down to what time their season starts ,running out of puff yes,more physical than us yes, as another poster said the guy who didnt sign the big contract was the difference ,we sold John it's not making it easy for ourselves but thats the way the cookie crumbles Im delighted he went to Villa and didnt take the M8 cash like so many he will be the better player for it Im sure , hopefully we have a sell on clause in place.

If we re invest what cash we have in new players and the kids Im sure Hibs will be fine just need to work a bit harder on the basics .

When you hear kids abroad at the age of 9 and 10 are roughly playing at the age of our 12-13 year olds theres the difference then its over to who runs Scottish football and that my friend is where we are XXXX ed .

southern hibby
17-08-2018, 04:35 AM
We were beaten by a team tonight that looked sharper new exactly where each player was and for me the important factor WON the second ball constantly, ( probably due to fitness and match sharpness ).

What I will say and I’ve said it several times and I’m not sure how to fix it, ( more training sessions together? New defender in or a new defensive midfield player may help ) BUT as good as our defence is on paper it still leaks goals. Let’s be honest we made several great chances at Easter Road and didn’t score their first chance over 2 legs 1-0, second chance 2-0 and third real chance 3-0.

GGTTH

hibIBZ
17-08-2018, 05:33 AM
For me one of the biggest problems for us is having England and it’s ridiculous money in our doorstep soaking up players from top to bottom, meaning clubs are scrambling around the lower reaches of English football hoping for a gem that they can afford. They will then lose this find pretty quickly to teams that are not particularly good but can pay inflated wages. I know Sunderland are a big club with a big support base, but losing your best players to the 3rd tier of English football tells you everything. Norway as a country is pretty affluent with a high standard of living and high wages.
They were also double our size and way fitter, fitness probably down to the time of the season. But in this country we still love tappy tanner ball players that are pretty small were in other countries they are using big athletes that are steady and do the basics well.

virtualhibby
17-08-2018, 05:41 AM
IMO Hibs have reverted to the style of football they played pre Scott Allan (the first time). They were very slow going forward and a bit predictable...long ball or out wide. Something clicked when Allan came in and they would carry the ball with pace, and suddenly Hibs became a real threat ...could go through the the middle out wide, SA & SJM were capable of defence splitting passes and a goal threat themselves.

I did not think Molde were anything special at all, Hibs were very easy to read, missed a couple of good chances, came up against a good keeper on the first leg & gave away 3 poor goals. Hibs of last season would have had 5 + goals over the 2 legs.

RIP
17-08-2018, 05:46 AM
IMO Hibs have reverted to the style of football they played pre Scott Allan (the first time). They were very slow going forward and a bit predictable...long ball or out wide. Something clicked when Allan came in and they would carry the ball with pace, and suddenly Hibs became a real threat ...could go through the the middle out wide, SA & SJM were capable of defence splitting passes and a goal threat themselves.

I did not think Molde were anything special at all, Hibs were very easy to read, missed a couple of good chances, came up against a good keeper on the first leg & gave away 3 poor goals. Hibs of last season would have had 5 + goals over the 2 legs.

Best post yet. Midfield creativity, crunch, pace and agression.

Phil MaGlass
17-08-2018, 05:52 AM
Hopefully the last 8 competitive games will set us in good stead for the rest of the season. These games should have built a fitness and a will to push on, starting with Ross County then a good 6 days break and were ready for the Dons.

Allant1981
17-08-2018, 06:16 AM
Cant say they were very strong, they were no better than us over the 2 legs, they obvious difference being they seem to have a settled side, we have only just begun our season and still trying to find the right team on the pitch, hopefully if we qualify for europe next season we dont have as many players leaving the club and not playing patchwork sides

MacGruber
17-08-2018, 06:25 AM
Haven't read the whole thread but 2 things spring to mind

1. Many posters said we were too slow to make signings and get our business done to be ready for Europe. Other posters called these views bedwetting and quoted Vine,Collins, quality over quantity and Hearts scattergun approach.
I see both sides. Would rather take time and get the right players sure but wanted to be ready for Europe. Simple fact is - we were not ready. Not necessarily the clubs fault anyway but a spade is a spade. Had the time to be ready for a competition you spend the season getting into but for one reason or another we failed. It is kind of set up that way for Scottish teams due to timings of the season.
McLaren - not match fit
Kamberi - carrying injury & still looking to sign another striker
Horgan - not registered in time
Agyepong - god knows
Hyndman - still trying to learn names
McGinn replacement - not sourced yet.

So is it even possible to be ready in time? Difficult with so many mitigating circumstance - never lost McGinn until late in the day etc. But here is a hard one to swallow. If Hearts got in Europe (you have to use your imagination, for any yam looking in, 18 points lads) they would have been more ready - they done their business early.

Point 2.

Rocky
McGregor
Bartley
McGeough
Allan
McGinn
Barker
Horgan

Missing

That's a tough ask. Take the equivalent players out Molde team from this/previous season and they would feel it - anybody would.

As for genetics our team was:-

Hungarian
Scot
Nigerian
Scot
Scot
Scot
Lithuanian
English
Scot
Swiss
Ausie
American off the bench

As an aside, despite all the above.. it has been my favourite ever European run inspite of the result last night and I am immensley proud of Neil and the team

GGTTH

Ozyhibby
17-08-2018, 02:34 PM
Nutrition seems to be taken seriously at Hibs anyway going by the set up in the dressing room last night.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180817/e68d0a20f53593ebfa2f60046d9f8abb.jpg

Northern Hibby
17-08-2018, 02:51 PM
If we can ever get to the stage where we play a Euro tie with the team that got us there, then we'll see progress. That sadly means getting more money from tv deals in order to hang in to our talent more. With donkey in charge, that's not likely.

This for me apart from the donkey part, if we ever look like putting a good team together or have a really good season you can almost guarantee the next season we'll be missing key players.

JimBHibees
17-08-2018, 03:04 PM
https://www.lifeinnorway.net/the-norwegian-football-system/

Quite an interesting insight into Norwegian football.

Hibrandenburg
17-08-2018, 03:16 PM
The price of a pint over there might also have an effect.

DH1875
17-08-2018, 03:50 PM
Are they really that much better than us? I don't think they are and if we were to play them again anytime soon I'd still fancy our chances.

B.H.F.C
17-08-2018, 03:58 PM
I genuinely didn’t think Molde were that great despite the score line and that’s why I was so frustrated last night.

On reflection, I think our lack of European experience cost us. As did selling John McGinn on the eve of the tie.

Hibs are doing all the right things behind the scenes with sports science and so on to give themselves the best chance they can. But if you lose a midfield of McGinn, McGeough and Allan you’re going to struggle. The business we do in the next fortnight will determine how successful we can be this season.

HibeeHibernian4
17-08-2018, 04:01 PM
They've also been standing by an indicted rapist that they've had in their team and who played in the first leg, despite his trial starting in March and his verdict coming up on Monday. A 'win at all costs' mentality if ever there was one. ****.

ancient hibee
17-08-2018, 04:18 PM
Not quite the same subject but why do our international youth teams do reasonably well and don’t look out of place at tournaments but this does not translate into success for the senior team?

hibsitis
17-08-2018, 05:16 PM
I've always assumed that, leaving aside a bidding war, the value of a player is a function of the time left on his contract and how much he's getting paid. SJM had only a year left and would have not been on a fortune at Hibs. But does this explain why we got around £3-4m for him and Molde got £7m for an 18 year old? It sounds as though their salary structure is much better than ours.

OsloHibs
17-08-2018, 05:19 PM
I'm gutted.

tamig
17-08-2018, 05:22 PM
Do they not have a sugar daddy type bod who paid for their stadium? Bit of an extravagance but fair play capacity is 11k no?
I’d imagine Livi’s cost a fraction (I know I know) and for only 1k less capacity.

I was talking to quite a few Molde fans over there and they do indeed have a few extremely wealthy benefactors who put a lot of money the club’s way. Its a very affluent town and I’m sure there are plenty people there with a bob or two to spend.

Seveno
17-08-2018, 05:45 PM
I was talking to quite a few Molde fans over there and they do indeed have a few extremely wealthy benefactors who put a lot of money the club’s way. Its a very affluent town and I’m sure there are plenty people there with a bob or two to spend.

The Aker Stadium was built 20 years ago and is named after their main benefactor who made millions in the North Sea Oil boom. The stadium is built to a very high standard and generates additional income from the letting of office accommodation.

superfurryhibby
17-08-2018, 05:56 PM
Not quite the same subject but why do our international youth teams do reasonably well and don’t look out of place at tournaments but this does not translate into success for the senior team?

This is the case and kind of negates the arguement that we are failing the youngsters through poor quality coaching? Add in the fact that we aren’t blessed with best physical characteristics in our genetics either.

Football is a strange game at times.Sometimes matches hinge on a few pivotal moments and then the tide is turned. We hit the woodwork three times, and fluffed a good few chances over two legs. On any other day we may well have scored a few ourselves.

I wouldn’t describe Molde as being “ so strong” to begin with.

Smartie
17-08-2018, 06:09 PM
I don't know the first thing about what goes on with youth coaching in this country, so don't really feel qualified to criticise.

There are surely countless great people the length and breadth of the country, talented coaches as well as volunteers who contribute a great deal of their time to Scottish football and must tear their hair out every time either our clubs or national team have a less than ideal result.

When Scotland were (relatively speaking) a force in football, was it because we had the best coaches and most resource ploughed into it? Or was it because per head of population we had loads of kids who played loads of hours of football, honing their skills naturally?

What major changes do we need to make to youth coaching in Scotland that will improve Efe Ambrose's defensive skills?

HibeeHibernian4
17-08-2018, 06:33 PM
Molde are also owned by one of the two men who instigated Wimbledon's move to Milton Keynes. They are a stain on football and I wish them the very worst of luck against Zenit, hopefully their 10 fans who make the trip run into bother in St Petersburg too.

Sammy7nil
18-08-2018, 07:13 AM
Molde are also owned by one of the two men who instigated Wimbledon's move to Milton Keynes. They are a stain on football and I wish them the very worst of luck against Zenit, hopefully their 10 fans who make the trip run into bother in St Petersburg too.

Nice post :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: