PDA

View Full Version : Lennon and the players

21sMay
16-08-2018, 07:12 PM
well done guys . has been great to be involved and win some European ties. tonight was just a step too far

Tricla
16-08-2018, 07:13 PM
Was just about to post the same.

Some real drivel being spouted on the match thread.

makaveli1875
16-08-2018, 07:14 PM
They did well to get through Asteras to get this game . I didnt think we had much chance . Its been our best run in europe in a long time , well done lads

21sMay
16-08-2018, 07:15 PM
we are all hurting a bit . tie was winnable but we have went out to a good side and far from embarrassed ourselves

cleanyman
No shame at all

euro Hibby
yeah lots of drivel on the match thread....

JohnM1875
16-08-2018, 07:16 PM
Cannot agree enough! Phenomenal effort and just came up against better opposition.

Wish Molde all the best and hope they make the group stages.

Pretty Boy
16-08-2018, 07:16 PM
We lost to a better team. It happens.

Doh Rae Me
16-08-2018, 07:17 PM
Good adventure while it lasted and valuable experience for the players. We go forward and want more.
Neil will make sure of it.
GGTTH

Lancs Harp
16-08-2018, 07:18 PM
We lost to a better team. It happens.

Personally I dont think they were really that much better, took their chances we didnt, good luck to them.

Hibs and proud, thanks for the ride lads, back to home glory now.:wink:

K.Marx
16-08-2018, 07:19 PM
Pocketed a good wedge of cash and the players would of learnt a lot. Hopefully we can kick on this season and have another crack next year

wallpaperman
16-08-2018, 07:20 PM
Exactly, well done to all involved, there should be no silly knee jerk over reaction by the fans.

If chances taken could have been different, but no real shame tonight and no need for doom and gloom.

BullsCloseHibs
16-08-2018, 07:22 PM
Well done lads.
Molde are seasoned Europa stalwarts. No shame whatsoever.
GGTTH 😁

weecounty hibby
16-08-2018, 07:23 PM
Yip, well done Hibernian. Three great European nights with about 45,000 Hibs fans through the door. Nothing to be ashamed about with the result tonight. Onwards and upwards, some folk want us to be Barcelona overnight but where we are going will take us a few years but we as a club are in the right track on and off the field

O'Rourke3
16-08-2018, 07:24 PM
It's been emotional. Going to miss the two games a week for a bit.

500miles
16-08-2018, 07:26 PM
For a first run at it in a while, it went no bad.

Bit of experience, and bonding in the middle of the park will improve further.

We could have beat them though, too naive at times. Wasteful too.

KDY Hibs
16-08-2018, 07:27 PM
well done guys . has been great to be involved and win some European ties. tonight was just a step too far

Well done boys, let's now focus on the league......

Disco Dave
16-08-2018, 07:29 PM
They were there for the taking tonight, first half I thought we were by far the better team. It might have been a different story if we had went in 0-0 at HT but it wasn't to be sadly. I could disect the game more and pick flaws if I wanted too but I dont think it would be deserved, bright season ahead :flag:

IGRIGI
16-08-2018, 07:34 PM
Gave us a taster for next season's run.

Silky
16-08-2018, 07:35 PM
Can be proud. The adventure was going to end sometime. It's been amazing and the club will benefit from it. Puts us in good stead for another crack next season.

Bishop Hibee
16-08-2018, 07:36 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the run. The last minute winner from Kamberi v Asteras will stay long in the memory.

HFC_NYC
16-08-2018, 07:37 PM
We just need to make sure that these European runs become a yearly thing. I really enjoyed it while it lasted, and hopefully, we can experience it again next year (third place in the SPL has to be the target).

Captain Trips
16-08-2018, 07:37 PM
Good effort from Hibs just one match too far. We made some good money did ourselves proud and we can now concentrate on the SPL and making sure we are playing in Europe again.

truehibernian
16-08-2018, 07:44 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the run. The last minute winner from Kamberi v Asteras will stay long in the memory.

Exactly, good post :agree::aok: And SJM's goal away in Greece :wink:

Perspective isn't a word you often see on .net.............but we've just lost a two leg tie with a good team from Norway, whereas Hearts lost to a team from Malta, The Rangers lost to a team from Luxembourg and a Rodgers Celtic side away to a team from Gibralter.........and some are saying our loss tonight is embarrassing :cb

I'm hoping it's given the players, and players coming in, a taste for more :aok: Superb pre-season and the fans home and away have done us proud :agree:

Stevie Reid
16-08-2018, 07:45 PM
I thought we were done when we were two nil down at home to Asteras. This squad has quality, fight and heart - our manager has all that and more. Tonight was just a game too far for us.

Free midweek next week and more time in training with Lennon will do us the world of good. As will the quality of player that will inevitably arrive.

Proud of everyone involved in the club. Nights like the last few Thursdays were a distant dream for many years.

Stuart93
16-08-2018, 07:46 PM
3-0 defeat to molde saves us a hiding off zenit anyway

SideBurns
16-08-2018, 07:47 PM
The Thursday/ Sunday routine was going to take its toll at some point this early in the season, especially with new players settling in and at the same time attempting to replace the best midfield (by common consent) in Scotland. If your glass is half-full, Lennon can now concentrate on playing his best team every weekend.

The Euro qualifers situation is ludicrous, but I suppose there's little point moaning about it when that's what we're trying to achieve through our league position every year! Was much easier to manage in the 'good old days' though.

hibsbollah
16-08-2018, 07:53 PM
Decent run. Getting through two ties and falling to a decent side is nothing to be ashamed of.

G B Young
16-08-2018, 07:56 PM
Yep, no shame in losing to a good side who I suspect will do pretty well in the group stages. An early goal for Hibs would have made things interesting but ultimately they were too strong. BBC report describes it as a 'dismal' defeat which is well off the mark.

Good effort in Europe overall and will hopefully inspire the players to be back next year.

dmc1875
16-08-2018, 07:57 PM
Yep, no shame in losing to a good side who I suspect will do pretty well in the group stages. An early goal for Hibs would have made things interesting but ultimately they were too strong. BBC report describes it as a 'dismal' defeat which is well off the mark.

Good effort in Europe overall and will hopefully inspire the players to be back next year.

Pretty sure they have next to no chance of reaching the group stages

cabbageandribs1875
16-08-2018, 08:00 PM

this

Jim44
16-08-2018, 08:00 PM
W

stuff the BBC ....... they’re either all sugar or all s*it*.

A Hi-Bee
16-08-2018, 08:01 PM
Gave us a taster for next season's run.

With any luck its only right that we compete in Europe every year, perhaps we who had the pleasure of watching Hibs through the 1960's and 70' have been a bit spoiled and our expectations can be a bit high, but we go again next year.

:flag::flag::flag:

A Hi-Bee
16-08-2018, 08:03 PM
W

stuff the BBC ....... they’re either all sugar or all s*it*.

no sugar unless it is one of the 2 cheecks, just all *****.

eastcoasthibby
16-08-2018, 08:03 PM
They did well to get through Asteras to get this game . I didnt think we had much chance . Its been our best run in europe in a long time , well done lads
Whilst agree with getting through Asteras after a struggle at ER ...where we set ourselves a steep task and came through it, credit for the attitude shown in that game.
I don't agree that we didn't have much chance against Molde if we had upped the perfirmance a bit at home put more pressure on there defense and got a goal or perhaps 2, tonight would have been very different, a bit more urgency and desire at home. Tonight by the sounds of it we lacked cohesion and quality in midfield and up front, not taking a chance when.it comes Boyle at 1-0'. LOOKooking forward now, by the sounds of it Kamberi is still strugglling with injury, mclaren playing catch up and Ollie doing.his best, clearly we need another forward., cos Boyle isn't one. Boyle continues to be very wasteful and has poor decision making in great positions, how can we.develop that into him ? Hopefully Horgan.improves us inthe wide areas and Agyepong if we get a visa !!
I think its been said somewhere already, we have a lot of good players, we need 3 players better quality than good ! who can come in to fill the gaps and bring the best out.of others. The gaps in central midfield is the biggest and we do need another good forward ...no pressure on the Board or Recruitment.
Unfortunately I think we might need to offload the likes of Swanson and Martin, thats football lets get.the business done we can't let it take us til 6-8 games.into.the season til we settle.

matty_f
16-08-2018, 08:10 PM

:agree:

The team have exceeded expectations with their European run this season, we had a couple of cracking games at Easter Road and were unlucky on the night tonight.

Yes we can look at mistakes that were made and be critical but it would be churlish not to give the boys credit for what they did this season in Europe.

We'll learn from it, and hopefully be back again next season.

gunnerhibee
16-08-2018, 08:13 PM
this

Agree completely.....

Jackh
16-08-2018, 08:15 PM
Exactly, good post :agree::aok: And SJM's goal away in Greece :wink:

Perspective isn't a word you often see on .net.............but we've just lost a two leg tie with a good team from Norway, whereas Hearts lost to a team from Malta, The Rangers lost to a team from Luxembourg and a Rodgers Celtic side away to a team from Gibralter.........and some are saying our loss tonight is embarrassing :cb

I'm hoping it's given the players, and players coming in, a taste for more :aok: Superb pre-season and the fans home and away have done us proud :agree:

“Gibralter” jesus wept we were awful tonight.

skipster7
16-08-2018, 08:16 PM
Its been good and could possibly have won that tie had we not lost SJM on the eve of the first leg. Down to league business now for another Hibees rollercoaster ride
:nlgwa

Jackh
16-08-2018, 08:16 PM
this

Doesn’t matter. Can’t imagine Lennys team talk tonight said “ah well whoever wins is out next”

rcarter1
16-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Doesn’t matter. Can’t imagine Lennys team talk tonight said “ah well whoever wins is out next”

Ill be interested to see what happens. If Molde go through against Zenit, then it suggests that the standard of team we played tonight was actually pretty high.

Hi Heid Yin
16-08-2018, 08:35 PM
Yes, well done lads for giving us a wee run in Europe.
It was enjoyable and a welcome alternative to league cup games against minnows.

I'd still love to see a fully functioning and settled Hibs side against Molde much later on in our season.

Brightside
16-08-2018, 08:36 PM

When you have spent a lot of money to follow the team and he can’t be arsed?

G B Young
16-08-2018, 08:50 PM

Lennon was full of praise for the players' efforts. Just felt they lacked the experience needed at key moments. Solskjaer also described the game as 50-50 but with Haland making the vital difference.

SirDavidsNapper
16-08-2018, 08:51 PM
Massive well done. No shame in losing to Molde whatsoever.

OxoHibby
16-08-2018, 08:55 PM
no sugar unless it is one of the 2 cheecks, just all *****.

Nail on head

Galahibby
16-08-2018, 08:57 PM
As poor as we were tonight, if anyone had offered us 6 European games at the start of the campaign I think the lot of us would've bitten their hand off. We've done superbly well, and it shows how far we've come that we're disappointed tonight. Onward and upward GGTTH 💚🇳🇬

SJNB Hibby
16-08-2018, 09:22 PM
Well done boys, let's now focus on the league......

....cup

Jonnyboy
16-08-2018, 09:38 PM

Pretty sure it was Brian McLaughlin that covered the game and he's a dyed in the wool Jambo.

Just sayin' :greengrin

ChickenCurryYLT
16-08-2018, 09:41 PM
Lennon must be pulling his hair out with some of them.

Also, Is it against the rules now to criticise Boyle?

We had enough about us tonight to go through. Not going along with this ‘step too far’ theory.

Fergos
16-08-2018, 09:45 PM
Pretty sure it was Brian McLaughlin that covered the game and he's a dyed in the wool Jambo.

He interviewed NL post match and he didn't mention “dismal”.....funny that....especially if he wrote that piece also.

Onwards we march.

Hibernian Forever.

davhibby
16-08-2018, 09:46 PM
The fact that we're so disappointed about going out tonight shows how far we've come in recent years. Now the team have got a taste for it they'll be desperate to get back to europe next season and better it. Let's not forget in the last 4/5 years that Aberdeen have been the best team after Celtic they've never been beyond this stage in europe. Hopefully we can build from this and have a good season

Billy Whizz
16-08-2018, 09:47 PM
He interviewed NL post match and he didn't mention “dismal”.....funny that....especially if he wrote that piece also.

Onwards we march.

Hibernian Forever.

He’ll be on the same flight back, so he’ll have to take his medicine from NL

Johnny_Leith
16-08-2018, 09:48 PM

Dismal is a fair account of our performance tonight.

He might be a Jambo, but McLaughlin always seems to give a fair account of hibs' fortunes.

The_Horde
16-08-2018, 09:51 PM
Dismal is a fair account of our performance tonight.

He might be a Jambo, but McLaughlin always seems to give a fair account of hibs' fortunes.

Don't think we were dismal at all. Was a very even game that should never have had a 3 goal difference. Solskjaer said as much post match.

Johnny_Leith
16-08-2018, 09:54 PM
Don't think we were dismal at all. Was a very even game that should never have had a 3 goal difference. Solskjaer said as much post match.

I thought we should have done so much better. 3rd goal was fortunate for them, other two was poor defending.

If we have performed to our capabilities, we'd be playing zenit next week. We have the tie away, for me, that's dismal unfortunately.

Wakeyhibee
16-08-2018, 10:07 PM
Lennon must be pulling his hair out with some of them.

Also, Is it against the rules now to criticise Boyle?

We had enough about us tonight to go through. Not going along with this ‘step too far’ theory.

I don't think it was a step to far or the plucky losers either. Hibs have had to cope with a hell of a lot of change. We lost but it was 6 games in Europe no one would have thought 12 months ago. There is money to strengthen still so I think we could be in for another good season yet.

Well done Hibs and NL for managing it as well if not better than could be expected. It's that fact that gives me confidence come end of August we will be stronger than we are now.

GGTTH

IWasThere2016
16-08-2018, 10:24 PM
Proud.

Johnny_Leith
16-08-2018, 10:28 PM

Zenit will wipe the floor with them.

Forza Fred
16-08-2018, 10:35 PM
The taste of Europe should be looked on as a step forward in our resurgence, not in any way as a disaster.

The challenge now is to maintain the rate of improvement to try and match the expectations.

The_Horde
16-08-2018, 10:36 PM
I thought we should have done so much better. 3rd goal was fortunate for them, other two was poor defending.

If we have performed to our capabilities, we'd be playing zenit next week. We have the tie away, for me, that's dismal unfortunately.

We were well in the game and there was never 3 goals in it. Losing Bartley didn't help us defensively.

Mikey Stewart summed it up for me on Twitter.

ancient hibee
16-08-2018, 10:36 PM

No he didn’t write the piece with “dismal’. His piece said more positives than negatives from campaign.

james62
16-08-2018, 10:42 PM
It's been emotional. Going to miss the two games a week for a bit.

I’m already breaking out in a sweat worrying about what I’m going to do next Thursday 🙈

JeMeSouviens
16-08-2018, 10:44 PM
Anyone book flights to Minsk? :greengrin

The Green Goblin
17-08-2018, 12:27 AM
Disapointed to be out, but how good was it to have a wee European run? It’s not like it happens without fail every single year. It’s brought a bit of money in, lifted the club profile and given the fans a couple of memorable nights.

I would still like to see the squad strengthened further, but I’m looking forward to the next game on Sunday.

cabbageandribs1875
17-08-2018, 12:51 AM
evry european night at ER has been special no matter who we've played

CLASS OF 72 -73
17-08-2018, 05:42 AM
Nothing much in the first leg. They bring their best player back and we sell ours, game over. Midfield a big problem Slivka while technically decent goes missing. Can't lose three top midfielders and not replace with some class.

ToffeeCabbage
17-08-2018, 06:04 AM
Sorry if I'm covering something already said but I have no regrets with that 2nd leg. We set out positively which imo was our only option considering our style of play. Gutted it didn't pay off but glad we didn't shy away from the tie. We may have missed chances and gave away cheap goals but any side that keeps 2 consecutive clean sheets against a side like ours deserves respect and I wish Molde all the best in the next round. We were capable of beating them but it wasn't to be. GGTTH

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

J-C
17-08-2018, 06:13 AM
Nothing much in the first leg. They bring their best player back and we sell ours, game over. Midfield a big problem Slivka while technically decent goes missing. Can't lose three top midfielders and not replace with some class.

Pretty much spot on, we are about 3 players short in the squad, we have lost 2 players who were the heartbeat of the team and not replaced them, Mallan is a pretty decent player but it's looking more and more likely that Slivka is not going to be what we need in the middle. I had high hopes for him but no matter how technical a player you are, he just doesn't grab the game by the scruff of the neck and Bartley although does the dirty tackling etc is poor technically with his distribution, a mixture of both is needed, we look very lightweight right now.

18Craig75
17-08-2018, 06:41 AM
Disappointed to go out and frustrated because we didn’t give a performance that we’re capable off. A bit naive over the two legs I thought. Having said that, this team are 6 European games better off. We have to make sure we are there next year and hopefully we can go a couple games further. We’ll be better for the experience this year.

Btw special mention to the fans who were there - could hear them loud and clear at the end of the game doing the club proud, Hibs Class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacomo
17-08-2018, 06:52 AM

Match day threads are the worst.

jacomo
17-08-2018, 06:54 AM
Pretty much spot on, we are about 3 players short in the squad, we have lost 2 players who were the heartbeat of the team and not replaced them, Mallan is a pretty decent player but it's looking more and more likely that Slivka is not going to be what we need in the middle. I had high hopes for him but no matter how technical a player you are, he just doesn't grab the game by the scruff of the neck and Bartley although does the dirty tackling etc is poor technically with his distribution, a mixture of both is needed, we look very lightweight right now.

Sure, but a bit of patience and support is needed.

We’ve lost three first choice midfielders from last season. It takes a little time to put a team back together.

GloryGlory
17-08-2018, 06:58 AM
We just need to make sure that these European runs become a yearly thing. I really enjoyed it while it lasted, and hopefully, we can experience it again next year (third place in the SPL has to be the target).

:agree: Regular appearances will help the players to improve. This year will have helped the development of the younger players like Porteous and Shaw, given them something to aim at. It will also help players like Kamberi and Mallan that we have on multi-year deals - they should be looking to qualify next year and put this experience to good use. Hopefully we get a similar draw to this year, where the first 3 rounds were all eminently winnable.

J-C
17-08-2018, 06:59 AM
Sure, but a bit of patience and support is needed.

We’ve lost three first choice midfielders from last season. It takes a little time to put a team back together.

I've been very patient, I've not added to any threads relating to players coming or going as I have been patient but now starting to think we need to ramp up our signings as the squad isn't as good as last season and is pretty thin on the ground re quality.

GloryGlory
17-08-2018, 07:09 AM
Sorry if I'm covering something already said but I have no regrets with that 2nd leg. We set out positively which imo was our only option considering our style of play. Gutted it didn't pay off but glad we didn't shy away from the tie. We may have missed chances and gave away cheap goals but any side that keeps 2 consecutive clean sheets against a side like ours deserves respect and I wish Molde all the best in the next round. We were capable of beating them but it wasn't to be. GGTTH

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

:agree: Onwards and upwards - here's to qualifying again next season. :flag:

jacomo
17-08-2018, 08:43 AM
I've been very patient, I've not added to any threads relating to players coming or going as I have been patient but now starting to think we need to ramp up our signings as the squad isn't as good as last season and is pretty thin on the ground re quality.

Agree that we could do with another midfielder but it’s too early to judge where we are.

How will the new wingers integrate into the team? We simply don’t know. Hyland ditto.

Mallan has started brightly but is still adapting to new surroundings.

Slivka has disappointed so far but time to write him off? Don’t think so.

Patience and positivity!