PDA

View Full Version : Time to spend some money Hibs

Pages : [1] 2

Ozyhibby
16-08-2018, 06:50 PM
It’s been a decent run in Europe but it’s clear that the midfield needs strengthened.
Slivka and Bartley are not good enough anymore. It’s time to spend to bring in Kamara or Mulumbu or similar quality.
It’s time to show we have the ambition to match Lennon’s ambition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cleanyman
16-08-2018, 06:52 PM
We were okay. But no quality over the two legs.

Cash must be invested in the team pronto. Mallan and Slivka...jury is out.

SRHibs
16-08-2018, 06:54 PM
We should’ve been investing for this. Our current team +1 (and Horgan) is good enough to get us in the top 4 IMO.

CallumHibs07
16-08-2018, 06:54 PM
You can't replace McGinn and McGeouch with Mallan/Bartley/Slivka. No more signings and we'll be battling it out for top 6 this season.

sean04
16-08-2018, 06:55 PM
I'm sure Lennon and Leanne are aware we need to replace mcginn.Horgan and man city lad will add creativity

Ozyhibby
16-08-2018, 06:56 PM

Mallan looks more than decent for me but Slivka is no where near good enough. Time to move him on and get quality in.

One Day Soon
It’s been a decent run in Europe but it’s clear that the midfield needs strengthened.
Slivka and Bartley are not good enough anymore. It’s time to spend to bring in Kamara or Mulumbu or similar quality.

No more than it was yesterday. The right signings, rather than just signings please Neil.

Wee Effen Bee
It’s almost as if 3 of the best midfielders in Scotland were ripped from our team and we’re having to try new players in new systems. Mental, ay? Just say “No!” To knee jerk reactions!

HibeeHibernian4
I think Mallan needs removing from this criticism of our midfield. More quality is needed to compliment him, not replace him.

Chorley Hibee
16-08-2018, 06:57 PM

Thought Mallan was okay, Slivka went missing (not for the first time) and didn't think much of Hyndmann to be honest.

Really hope to see significant investment in not only a midfielder of calibre (Allan must be pursued) but a defender too.

Forget the loan market too.

WestStandhibee

This reeks of pishy pants

Foritza
McGiinn Allan & McGeouch . is the difference , These players have not been replaced, you can debate all you want, but THIS is the problem. We have went from the best midfield in the SPL to well, you call it what you want.

21sMay
16-08-2018, 06:58 PM
I think slivka and mallan where more than good enough tonight . just need someone in there beside then who can control the game. I'm more worried about efe at the back and our strikers just don't look dangerous enough

Ozyhibby
It’s almost as if 3 of the best midfielders in Scotland were ripped from our team and we’re having to try new players in new systems. Mental, ay? Just say “No!” To knee jerk reactions!

It’s not knee jerk. If you’d asked me yesterday I would have said we needed to sign someone like Kamara.

Stuart93
We should sign kamberi & maclaren

murray26
I’d rather we brought in one quality signing than a couple of gambles.. you can’t lose the midfield we had and expect to match last seasons effort.. come on Hibs we’re not far away

Ozyhibby
16-08-2018, 06:59 PM
I think slivka and mallan where more than good enough tonight . just need someone in there beside then who can control the game. I'm more worried about efe at the back and our strikers just don't look dangerous enough

Slivka was dreadful tonight. Again. We are now seeing why he has never had a run in the team.

SRHibs
16-08-2018, 07:00 PM
Slivka was dreadful tonight. Again. We are now seeing why he has never had a run in the team.

I don’t think he was one of the worst players tonight.

21sMay
16-08-2018, 07:01 PM

slivka was far from the worst in the team tonight. I think efe, kamberi and Boyle where very poor

Coco Bryce
I don’t think he was one of the worst players tonight.

Me neither. Boyle and Mclaren were rotten.

Brooster
That wasn't a 3-0 over 2 legs although the best team won. Yes we need to strengthen and we need to work on shooting and passing. It's been a welcome distraction and we got further than I expected but time to get behind them and move on.

Centre Hawf
16-08-2018, 07:02 PM
Mallan has done decent but I have question marks on him in this set up/system.

Slivka done absolutely nothing tonight and I’m starting to lose faith in him.

Bartley does a job and no one else does that same role at all at the club. We looked worse for having him come off.

Hyndman its too early to say but you forgot he was on tonight and against St Johnstone.

Swanson. If we’re not going to use him then find someone to take him off us ffs.

we are hibs
No we are perfectly fine. Don't need to sign anyone

col02
The midfield last season was the culmination of a work in progress from the past few seasons. Hibs can't go out and replace McGinn like for like. Instead they either adapt the style of play or we as fans are patient with the players brought in to replace McGinn, McGeoch and Allan.

Sioux

You're kidding on. Mallan was on his own in there tonight. Silvka must have invented walking football.

Chorley Hibee
16-08-2018, 07:03 PM
slivka was far from the worst in the team tonight. I think efe, kamberi and Boyle where very poor

Don't get the Efe criticism tonight, thought he once again looked the most competent footballer out there for most of the game.

Can't fault your assessment of the others though.

tonyrougier123
16-08-2018, 07:04 PM
nae spark in there,a game that looked very winnable.work to be done in the sqaud,which is full of good players, but needs a glue to make it all stick again.scouting team need to play a blinder in the next fortnight.

Springbank

no knee jerk

been clear for weeks slivka spends all game 10 yards off his man...and usually on the wring side of the man.

he reminds me of Antonio Murray

jeffers
Hardly a surprise that we are missing SJM, our midfield looks so lightweight without him. I'm starting to lose patience with Slivka though, another game that has passed him by in the main. He has ability but he needs to start producing. I still think Mallan will be a decent signing, but after a promising cameo in his first game I've been very disappointed in Hyndman tonight and on Sunday.

We need some presence in midfield and Scott Allan, noone in our squad can play the killer ball like him.

The_Horde
Mallan, Kamberi, Horgan. There's 3 we've paid money for so far..

Gmack7
16-08-2018, 07:05 PM
if people want shot of Bartley and slivka (i dont btw)surely we must move on Swanson. martin and Whittaker first.

IMO we should try a 4.5.1 formation as some teams get to much joy down the flanks

Jim44
16-08-2018, 07:06 PM
As it stands we are a marginal top five team. No investment could put us lower. Conversely a bit of imagination in the market could push us into top four.

Elephant Stone
16-08-2018, 07:07 PM
As it stands we are a marginal top five team. No investment could put us lower. Conversely a bit of imagination in the market could push us into top four.

Who's top 4 at the moment?

Ozyhibby
Mallan, Kamberi, Horgan. There's 3 we've paid money for so far..

All three covered by the Euro run. There is money there and it needs spent on our midfield.

Hulk1875
We’ve lost the core of the team we done better than expected wee bit extra money for us, get couple more signings and we’ll go and finish 4th or better

Speedway
16-08-2018, 07:08 PM

How much money though Ozy.

We’re not given to paying transfer fees and we’re £500,000 into spending this summer.

I know it’s peanuts but for Hibs it’s a bigger spend than usual.

Gordy M

We have lost one game out of 8?? I havent seen the rest of the SPL.....but id imagine we are comfortably top 4/5?

21sMay
Don't get the Efe criticism tonight, thought he once again looked the most competent footballer out there for most of the game.

unless he can play in the midfield as he is a very good footballer I'd move him on because he was at fault for at least 2 of the goals tonight . I love the man but he is just far to laid back to be a centre back and far too weak

The_Horde
16-08-2018, 07:10 PM
All three covered by the Euro run. There is money there and it needs spent on our midfield.

What do you want us to spend exactly.

Foritza
16-08-2018, 07:11 PM

Do you really think that ? perfectly fine for what ? Do you honesty think we will get more points than last season with this current squad. The heart has been ripped out of this squad. Tell me who is going to be our Tallisman at Parkhead, Ipox etc I don't see a Leader in this squad.

Jim44
Who's top 4 at the moment?

Pedant :greengrin

BILLYHIBS

Agree! I thought Efe looked silky tonight cannae fault him.I can see us struggling to finish top six with that team. As others have pointed out lost SJM, Dylan and Scott Allan. Recruitment team need to pull a rabbit out the hat. We could do worse than sticking in a bid for Scott Allan to test the lie of the land?

Ozyhibby

We’re not given to paying transfer fees and we’re £500,000 into spending this summer.

We have a lot more income than usual now though.
We surely don’t think that midfield will be good enough. We will be over run against the better teams in the league.

Sioux

Gonna be a long hard season by the looks of it.

Losing goals like we did tonight is a worry.

Wee Effen Bee
16-08-2018, 07:12 PM
no knee jerk

been clear for weeks slivka spends all game 10 yards off his man...and usually on the wring side of the man.

he reminds me of Antonio Murray

I’m just thinking if we had gone through, there would be no complaints about our squad. Lennon said he is looking at someone else to come in: Allan possibly? People can’t even agree who played well and who didn’t tonight so which players do we hoik oot and replace? We do need a wee bit steel but most of all, we need a few games for Lennon to decide his best formation. As I said, we lost the 2nd best midfield in our league and we just can’t replace like for like.

madhatter
16-08-2018, 07:13 PM
There is something wrong when you look at your midfield 3 and wonder "can they tackle?" and "can they head the ball?"

McGeouch even had a greater bite to his game than our current players (beyond Bartley). We don't necessarily need to replace McGeouch and McGinn with equal quality in terms of passing etc. we need a holding midfielder that tackles and can follow his man! Pretty sure we don't need to spend millions to find one of those!

Ozyhibby
16-08-2018, 07:13 PM

Enough to get us a centre mid capable of doing a lot better than Slivka, Whittaker or Bartley. We surely have enough for that?

allmodcons
16-08-2018, 07:14 PM

So, on the back of 2 league games, you've decided Rangers, Aberdeen and ****ing Hearts are better than us?

Must be great having that kind of confidence in our manager and his team.

staunchhibby
16-08-2018, 07:14 PM
Mclatency and kimberley non existent.We never turned up.

spikeymike
16-08-2018, 07:16 PM
We lose a match against a very good side who were clearly stronger and more clinical than us and its all doom and gloom and we are not good enough... Some people need to get a grip. Probably the only team that could compete with Molde in Scotland would be celtic. We haven't become crap because we lost one game in Europe!!

FitbaFolkKen
16-08-2018, 07:16 PM
McGiinn Allan & McGeouch . is the difference , These players have not been replaced, you can debate all you want, but THIS is the problem. We have went from the best midfield in the SPL to well, you call it what you want.

Mental how we couldn't seamlessly replace about 7 or 8 million pounds worth of talent.

Borderhibbie76
16-08-2018, 07:17 PM
Mclatency and kimberley non existent.We never turned up.They aren't getting the service they were getting from the midfield last season that's the problem at the moment...give them service an we saw last season what they will do...crucial couple of weeks ahead for Lenny...we deffo need 1 if not 2 more midfielders in the door - I reckon another defender also

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

tonyrougier123
16-08-2018, 07:17 PM
why is david gray no playing,should have been in there imo.mans got the heart of a lion and sadly that was lacking tonight.

allmodcons
16-08-2018, 07:18 PM
Gonna be a long hard season by the looks of it.

Losing goals like we did tonight is a worry.

Join in why don't you. A bad defeat and the bed wetting begins. Have a bit of confidence in your club ffs.

Scotty Leither
16-08-2018, 07:18 PM
We seem to go into crucial games/phases of the season light on players in key positions.

We consistently get bullied up top by teams like Hearts and St Johnstone and we never seem to address it by signing players to counter that type of approach.

Nobody is asking the club to spend millions, I'd just like the cloak of caution which has been this Board's leitmotif since as long as I can remember to be loosened to consolidate where we are now, especially given the cash we've brought in this last wee while, that's all.

Franck Stanton
16-08-2018, 07:19 PM

Paying a fee for Scott Allan wouldn't exactly bankrupt us now would it? He would definitely improve our midfield. Also sign Malumba, showed how good he is last year for Killie. As a free agent would only be a signing- On fee. Get those two into it midfield wouldn't cost the earth and would make the difference between struggling for top 6 and challenging for top 3/4.

SRHibs
16-08-2018, 07:20 PM
why is david gray no playing,should have been in there imo.mans got the heart of a lion and sadly that was lacking tonight.

Agreed. That was the type of game the club captain should have been a part of. We didn’t look particularly threatening up front as it was, so 4-5-1 might have been a better set up. Ah well, hopefully we jump Ross County at the weekend.

neil7908
I agree with the OP. This isn't panic, we've lost 3 very, very good midfielders and its going to take either some canny signings or a bit of cash to replace them. My opinion would be the same even if we'd gone through tonight.

We have a lot of attacking midfielders and wide players but Bartley went off today and we had no one to replace him. Equally our defence is creaking and that's not just tonight, we've been leaking far too many goals for months now.

I think this squad is good but right now I can't see us finishing higher than last year.

allmodcons
We lose a match against a very good side who were clearly stronger and more clinical than us and its all doom and gloom and we are not good enough... Some people need to get a grip. Probably the only team that could compete with Molde in Scotland would be celtic. We haven't become crap because we lost one game in Europe!!

We have. It's the hibs net way.

One Day Soon
16-08-2018, 07:21 PM
Join in why don't you. A bad defeat and the bed wetting begins. Have a bit of confidence in your club ffs.

You're asking way to much there AMC. I don't think it's even a bad defeat BTW. In development terms we are still way ahead of where we should be at this stage having come up from the Championship.

Nudge over a bit so I can join you on that dry patch of the bed.

FitbaFolkKen
16-08-2018, 07:22 PM

Because he joined the group late after having a baby early Wednesday morning, I presume he would have been knackered and missed a lot of the prep work for the game.

One Day Soon
16-08-2018, 07:22 PM
We seem to go into crucial games/phases of the season light on players in key positions.

We consistently get bullied up top by teams like Hearts and St Johnstone and we never seem to address it by signing players to counter that type of approach.

Nobody is asking the club to spend millions, I'd just like the cloak of caution which has been this Board's leitmotif since as long as I can remember to be loosened to consolidate where we are now, especially given the cash we've brought in this last wee while, that's all.

What, like they've already started doing in this transfer window you mean?

One Day Soon
16-08-2018, 07:23 PM
Because he joined the group late after having a baby early Wednesday morning, I presume he would have been knackered and missed a lot of the prep work for the game.

You with your facts and such.

allmodcons
You're asking way to much there AMC. I don't think it's even a bad defeat BTW. In development terms we are still way ahead of where we should be at this stage having come up from the Championship.

:greengrin

CropleyWasGod
Mclatency and kimberley non existent.We never turned up.I know that I take my time getting used to the names of new players, but......who?

[emoji38]

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Lancs Harp
16-08-2018, 07:25 PM
I agree with the OP. This isn't panic, we've lost 3 very, very good midfielders and its going to take either some canny signings or a bit of cash to replace them. My opinion would be the same even if we'd gone through tonight.

We have a lot of attacking midfielders and wide players but Bartley went off today and we had no one to replace him. Equally our defence is creaking and that's not just tonight, we've been leaking far too many goals for months now.

I think this squad is good but right now I can't see us finishing higher than last year.

Would tend to agree with this, while there is understandable emphasis on our midfield post Dylan and SJM, when we play opposition that has even the slightest movement up front we dont seem to be able to cope with it, this was the same at the end of last season. Efes lack defensive mobility alarms me at times, love the guy but I'd at least like to see another defensive option the squad. If a team plays three at the back speed and mobility are important, Im not sure we have it.

Hibbyradge

I knew that sarcasm was the lowest form of wit, but somehow you've managed to take it to a whole new level.

Lennon has already stated that we're working on a couple of things, but they take time. If you can suggest a way for Hibs to speed things up, I'm sure the board would love to hear from you.

tonyrougier123

cheers didny read that. at least there was a reason he didny play the night.

makaveli1875
16-08-2018, 07:26 PM
Mental how we couldn't seamlessly replace about 7 or 8 million pounds worth of talent.

Actually its super easy , Barely an inconvenience . We have Scott Martin and Danny Swanson for collateral im sure we can swap them both for an international quality midfielder or 2

Pretty Boy
16-08-2018, 07:27 PM
A midfielder with a bit drive and grit please.

As it stands the midfield just isn’t right at the minute. I’m sure if I can see it then NL can too and it’s being worked on.

DJ HIBBY
16-08-2018, 07:29 PM
Paying a fee for Scott Allan wouldn't exactly bankrupt us now would it? He would definitely improve our midfield. Also sign Malumba, showed how good he is last year for Killie. As a free agent would only be a signing- On fee. Get those two into it midfield wouldn't cost the earth and would make the difference between struggling for top 6 and challenging for top 3/4.

Malumbu has been holding out for £10k a week that’s why no one has signed him. He was on £20k per week down south. Maybe an English championship team will take him towards end of window.

Bob Box Fish
16-08-2018, 07:30 PM
Stubbs will still have feelings for hibs surely? Could he not take Whittaker on loan and free up a wage?

Hibbyradge
16-08-2018, 07:31 PM

Are those players for sale?

Do they want to play for us?

Do their clubs want them to sell to us?

How much is "not costing the earth"?

SRHibs
16-08-2018, 07:32 PM
Stubbs will still have feelings for hibs surely? Could he not take Whittaker on loan and free up a wage?

Whittaker, Martin, and Swanson for Magennis. Seems fair to me!

Foritza
16-08-2018, 07:32 PM

It's not seamless That is just a fact What I am saying is that we have lost the best midfield in Scotland. I m not expecting Hibs to pay Millions to replace it. But if you are happy with the
Status Quo. Then fine. When we had a chance to progress perhaps we did not take it. We will be where we are at the end of the season. Then you can reflect on the If's and Why's. Me I just want Hibs and Neil Lennon to be I the mix.

Bishop Hibee
16-08-2018, 07:33 PM
We need one more midfielder who can link the defence and midfield then we’d have a really good squad.

Keith_M
16-08-2018, 07:34 PM

:agree:

Hibernia&Alba
16-08-2018, 07:35 PM
A midfielder with a bit drive and grit please.

As it stands the midfield just isn’t right at the minute. I’m sure if I can see it then NL can too and it’s being worked on.

Absolutely :agree:

brianmc
16-08-2018, 07:36 PM
Whittaker, Martin, and Swanson for Magennis. Seems fair to me!

Good luck getting those players to agree to the move! Swanson I could just about see, but not the other 2.

Pretty Boy
16-08-2018, 07:38 PM

I take the point that there’s always going to be bumps in the road replacing players of that quality.

However that’s life at a club like Hibs. If you get a few goods ones you almost have to start planning to replace them right away because 2 or 3 seasons is about your lot. I’m sure there is plenty work going on but, and I’ve said this elsewhere; Mallan, Slivka and Bartley v McGinn, McGeough and Allan is a pretty clear pointer as to where some of our issues lie. There’s not a wealth of talent sitting in the wings fighting for a place in that central midfield either. Hyndman hasn’t played a lot, Whittaker and Swanson don’t seem the answer and I think Horgan is more of a wide type.

It’s going to be an interesting 2 weeks trying to get a bit of balance to the side.

Centre Hawf
16-08-2018, 07:39 PM
I’m amazed at the amount of people that right off criticism as bed wetting. We’re not in a terrible situation, we need more of the right players in. Nothing wrong to say that.

Hibbyradge
16-08-2018, 07:40 PM
With all the wailing and gnashing of teeth on here after a loss to an experienced side on a plastic pitch, I'd love to see the Minsk fans forums.

4-0 up after the first leg and they lose 8-1 playing against 10 men for the majority of the second half and extra time.

Carnage.

FitbaFolkKen
16-08-2018, 07:42 PM
It's not seamless That is just a fact What I am saying is that we have lost the best midfield in Scotland. I m not expecting Hibs to pay Millions to replace it. But if you are happy with the
Status Quo. Then fine. When we had a chance to progress perhaps we did not take it. We will be where we are at the end of the season. Then you can reflect on the If's and Why's. Me I just want Hibs and Neil Lennon to be I the mix.

I never said I was happy but we have lost the best midfield in Scotland. On our budget that is nigh on impossible to replace is the point. We were never going to have a midfield of the same calibre this season but I think Neil has looked to balance that out by strengthening wide areas and up top.

I think losing Bartley tonight caused a major imbalance in our team and we had 3 central midfielders, none of which are defensive minded, that didn't really know how to play together.

FitbaFolkKen
16-08-2018, 07:44 PM
I take the point that there’s always going to be bumps in the road replacing players of that quality.

However that’s life at a club like Hibs. If you get a few goods ones you almost have to start planning to replace them right away because 2 or 3 seasons is about your lot. I’m sure there is plenty work going on but, and I’ve said this elsewhere; Mallan, Slivka and Bartley v McGinn, McGeough and Allan is a pretty clear pointer as to where some of our issues lie. There’s not a wealth of talent sitting in the wings fighting for a place in that central midfield either. Hyndman hasn’t played a lot, Whittaker and Swanson don’t seem the answer and I think Horgan is more of a wide type.

It’s going to be an interesting 2 weeks trying to get a bit of balance to the side.

I think the investment in forward players is to strengthen the squad realising that the central midfield will not carry us like last season. We may need to play a different system but I'm confident that our management team will get it right and we will be back here next season.

Chorley Hibee
16-08-2018, 07:45 PM

I agree with your assessment of the side (midfield particularly) being unbalanced, I think recruitment for the midfield berths has been a bit haphazard thus far and I hope additional recruits will bring the balance in there we require.

The defence definitely requires strengthening too, but this seems to have been completely overlooked so far.

Stevie Reid
16-08-2018, 07:46 PM
Does anyone seriously think we won't spend (even more) money this window?

Or are people just being overly dramatic?

weecounty hibby
16-08-2018, 07:47 PM
With all the wailing and gnashing of teeth on here after a loss to an experienced side on a plastic pitch, I'd love to see the Minsk fans forums.

4-0 up after the first leg and they lose 8-1 playing against 10 men for the majority of the second half and extra time.

Carnage.
I've no doubt that there will be minskies saying it's embarrassing to lose to a team who have won the Europa cup. Questioning the commitment of their players, questioning the signing policies, calling each other yams or whatever their local rivals are. It's surely the way of things

allmodcons
I’m amazed at the amount of people that right off criticism as bed wetting. We’re not in a terrible situation, we need more of the right players in. Nothing wrong to say that.

Quite simply because some of the criticism isn't constructive. It's bed wetting at it's best.

Chorley Hibee
[QUOTE=Hibbyradge;5518490]With all the wailing and gnashing of teeth on here after a loss to an experienced side on a plastic pitch, I'd love to see the Minsk fans forums.

Stewards enquiry if I ever I saw one with that result!

Col2
Reality is we had an absolute dream midfield trio from Jan 2018.

We have lost all three and at best replaced one of them (Mallan). Slivka and Hyndman and Barker all have a part to play this season but IF we are truly serious about competing in top 3 then we need to bring in Scott Allan and a driving dynamic midfielder like Kamara or Mulumbu.

Kamberi is carrying an injury, Maclaren is not fully match fit and Horgan was not signed in time. With the winger from Man City and Boyle more often than not consistent I think we fine up at top end and wide.

Defensively we have options especially when Macgregor but my 3rd priority would be another centre half.

Just get the deals done Hibs. It’s no coincidence we have drawn 2 and lost 1 scoring 1 goal in last 3 games since SJM left.

Onion
16-08-2018, 07:52 PM
I think Mallan needs removing from this criticism of our midfield. More quality is needed to compliment him, not replace him.

:agree: Mallan is fine. We're just soft in the middle of the park. Need a tough tackler / enforcer / ball winner to sit alongside him. Slivka/Hyndman/Bartley/ Whitty are not the answer.

Jim44
16-08-2018, 07:52 PM
Reality is we had an absolute dream midfield trio from Jan 2018.

We have lost all three and at best replaced one of them (Mallan). Slivka and Hyndman and Barker all have a part to play this season but IF we are truly serious about competing in top 3 then we need to bring in Scott Allan and a driving dynamic midfielder like Kamara or Mulumbu.

Kamberi is carrying an injury, Maclaren is not fully match fit and Horgan was not signed in time. With the winger from Man City and Boyle more often than not consistent I think we fine up at top end and wide.

Defensively we have options especially when Macgregor but my 3rd priority would be another centre half.

Just get the deals done Hibs. It’s no coincidence we have drawn 2 and lost 1 scoring 1 goal in last 3 games since SJM left.

I wonder if the sticking point could end up as not identifying the right player(s) or not biting the bullet and splashing the cash?

CropleyWasGod
16-08-2018, 07:53 PM
I've no doubt that there will be minskies saying it's embarrassing to lose to a team who have won the Europa cup. Questioning the commitment of their players, questioning the signing policies, calling each other yams or whatever their local rivals are. It's surely the way of thingsStrangely, their local rivals used to be owned by one Mr. Romanov.

So... what's Belarusian for LTYF?

Stevie Reid
16-08-2018, 07:53 PM
:agree: Mallan is fine. We're just soft in the middle of the park. Need a tough tackler / enforcer / ball winner to sit alongside him. Slivka/Hyndman/Bartley/ Whitty are not the answer.

Mallan will be a huge player for us this season. Will score more than most SPL forwards.

heretoday
16-08-2018, 07:54 PM
Get Lafferty in!!!

londonhibby
16-08-2018, 07:56 PM
Malumbu has been holding out for £10k a week that’s why no one has signed him. He was on £20k per week down south. Maybe an English championship team will take him towards end of window.

I'd give him it. He's worth it. Failing that £7k a week and a night a week for his contract with each of the wives/girlfriends of all Hibs.net private members/ITKers (Disclosure: I'm not a PM or ITKer...) :cb:thumbsup:

neil7908
16-08-2018, 07:58 PM
What I don't understand is the kind of players we've brought in this summer and how they will fit into our formation.

Despite generally playing 3-5-2 we've now got 3 wingers in the squad but only 1 defensive midfielder in Marv, who I don't actually think Lennon rates that much. We have no one to cover for Lewis should he get a bad injury.

Bar Porteous our defence are all late 20s or early 30s and I'm not sure we can get a full season out them anymore.

We also miss Scott Allan big time. He was absolutely vital in bringing the best out of both McLaren and especially Kamberi. They looked lost tonight without him pulling the strings. If we can get him back, sign someone like Kamara and another defender then I'll breathe a lot easier.

londonhibby
16-08-2018, 08:01 PM
What I don't understand is the kind of players we've brought in this summer and how they will fit into our formation.

Despite generally playing 3-5-2 we've now got 3 wingers in the squad but only 1 defensive midfielder in Marv, who I don't actually think Lennon rates that much. We have no one to cover for Lewis should he get a bad injury.

Bar Porteous our defence are all late 20s or early 30s and I'm not sure we can get a full season out them anymore.

We also miss Scott Allan big time. He was absolutely vital in bringing the best out of both McLaren and especially Kamberi. They looked lost tonight without him pulling the strings. If we can get him back, sign someone like Kamara and another defender then I'll breathe a lot easier.

Totally agree on the defence, Said it on another thread, new CB, youngish, but definitely fast and hard RB and LB needed pronto.

A Hi-Bee
16-08-2018, 08:06 PM
Totally agree on the defence, Said it on another thread, new CB, youngish, but definitely fast and hard RB and LB needed pronto.

Wonder if we could entice Gunnerson back to Hibs, donno what he is doing just now but this could be the time when we would be in a position to give him much more game time.

Onion
16-08-2018, 08:10 PM

Agreed. Tonight feels like the end of a fantastic upward spiral since May 16, Brondby, promotion, competing for 2nd, Euro qualification and a great Euro run. Natural for folk to feel disappointed and vent a little.

Hi Heid Yin
16-08-2018, 08:14 PM

Not "almost", we "did!" have our entire midfield ripped from our team.

Hi Heid Yin
16-08-2018, 08:18 PM
Mallan will be a huge player for us this season. Will score more than most SPL forwards.

:agree::agree:

Ozyhibby
16-08-2018, 08:18 PM
Not "almost", we "did!" have our entire midfield ripped from our team.

We haven’t even tried to replace McGeogh though and we have known he wasn’t coming back since last season. We have about two weeks to get in a defensive mid or we will struggle this season.

neil7908
16-08-2018, 08:19 PM
Agreed. Tonight feels like the end of a fantastic upward spiral since May 16, Brondby, promotion, competing for 2nd, Euro qualification and a great Euro run. Natural for folk to feel disappointed and vent a little.

Yup, it's the hope that kills you! I know that sounds silly but the club has raised expectations over the last few years. That's great and why we are getting record crowds. But with that comes added pressure. I'm not devastated after tonight but do worry a little that we've hit a high point and it's going to be tough from here on out.

mcfly
16-08-2018, 08:20 PM
Let’s get a bit of perspective here.

2 years ago we were in the lower leagues. Now we have got through 2 rounds in Europe.

Let’s stop moaning and get behind the team. I’m sure additional players will come in

Jackh
16-08-2018, 08:21 PM
You can't replace McGinn and McGeouch with Mallan/Bartley/Slivka. No more signings and we'll be battling it out for top 6 this season.

Behave.

Pretty Boy
16-08-2018, 08:22 PM

There’s inevitably going to be more discussion and a bit of venting after a bad result. Simple fact is there’s more to say when things go ‘wrong’. Obviously some take it too far but I find the sarcastic sniping almost as annoying as the ‘bedwetting’.

For me there’s an increasing feeling that the 2 horse race/duopoly/Old Fim dominance might be creeping ever closer to coming back and it’s a bit of a frustrating feeling. Maybe we have reached a plateau after a few years of rapid improvement and whilst it’s nice to arrive, and it’s better to be where we are than where we started, I always feel a bit melancholy after a long journey.

hhibs
16-08-2018, 08:23 PM

Carnage.

More than a bit suspect.

Bob Box Fish
16-08-2018, 08:23 PM
Lennon saying he needs investment in his post match interview.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3078565/hibs-neil-lennon-two-players-thin/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

weecounty hibby
16-08-2018, 08:24 PM
We haven’t even tried to replace McGeogh though and we have known he wasn’t coming back since last season. We have about two weeks to get in a defensive mid or we will struggle this season.

We didn't know 100% that Dylan was leaving. He was a Hibs played up till very recently. At one point during the summer there was hope he was going to resign for us. We will replace these guys but it will be tough and unlikely to be an overnight thing, just as it wasn't overnight that Dylan, John and Scott became the best midfield in Scotland

GreenNWhiteArmy
16-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Tonight was always going to be a very difficult task. Imo Molde would win our league. They are a very good footballing side and yet we had chances home and away to beat them.

Why are we using that as a stick to beat the club with? Any club that loses players of the quality of the midfield trio we had would struggle and we dont operate in the money's no object EPL unfortunately

With that midfield trio we'd have qualified imo that's how pivotal they were to our play. Mcginn's drive and long range passes. Dylan's composure on the ball and passing. Allan's vision and passing. All so good and important to our play

We need to find that replacement for Mcginn. Dont know who but he should already be identified. We have a squad of international's and I'm delighted with the squad we've assembled for the season ahead

Stuart93
16-08-2018, 08:25 PM

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3078565/hibs-neil-lennon-two-players-thin/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Also saying we don't have a lot of money? What the ****

Scotty Leither
16-08-2018, 08:26 PM

That must make him a "bed wetter", no?

Not having a go at you btw

Bob Box Fish
16-08-2018, 08:27 PM

Think that’s more to do with us paying inflated prices if other clubs know what we have to spend tbh.

rcarter1
16-08-2018, 08:28 PM

Aye, no question we are an unsettled side right now. Id not be surprised to see both the players you mention have great seasons providing the system, personel and confidence is right. Our strikers might need a bit of time to get back in their stride. Its been a chop change start.

Pretty Boy
16-08-2018, 08:29 PM

He’s probably not wrong. We spent money on both Mallan and Kamberi and will have significantly increased our wage bill in the last 2/3 years.

We’ll have money to spend but relative to Rangers and Aberdeen we are still a bit behind. That’s who we want to be competing with and for various reasons both have a bit more financial clout than us.

He’s also probably playing the media after a disappointing defeat again into the bargain.

Col_0762
16-08-2018, 08:30 PM
Think some need to chill. That was never a 3 nil game. We gifted the first, second came from a terrible corner, taken by Hanlon?!? Then a 30 yard run when no one clipped him, then a fluke pass right under the keeper. The third is a huge deflection right to their man. We put 4 quality balls into 6 yard box that no one followed in, Mclaren hit the post. We weren’t great but no awful. We need another CH if big Daz humped. An attacking midfielder like Allan, a left back and another forward. That’s if we’re being greedy. We probably have enough to be in the top 5, but to get into Europe again, as Lennon said, we need to spend. But it’s not anywhere near as bad as some are making out.

Stuart93
16-08-2018, 08:32 PM
He’s probably not wrong. We spent money on both Mallan and Kamberi and will have significantly increased our wage bill in the last 2/3 years.

We’ll have money to spend but relative to Rangers and Aberdeen we are still a bit behind. That’s who we want to be competing with and for various reasons both have a bit more financial clout than us.

He’s also probably playing the media after a disappointing defeat again into the bargain.

We've made a sizeable bit of extra income so hopefully he's talking *****

scoopyboy
16-08-2018, 08:34 PM

Yeah, he should have said we have ****loads of money. :confused:

scoopyboy
16-08-2018, 08:35 PM
We've made a sizeable bit of extra income so hopefully he's talking *****

Between you and NL I know who talks the most *****

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2018, 08:36 PM
Lennon is talking bollox, we know we have some money, so its obvious the other clubs will know it too.

Managers lie, its not a secret they do, and i'm surprised folk on here keep falling for it?

We will bring in some players, we will also let a few go too, loans and maybe permanents?

eastcoasthibby
16-08-2018, 08:37 PM
I'd give him it. He's worth it. Failing that £7k a week and a night a week for his contract with each of the wives/girlfriends of all Hibs.net private members/ITKers (Disclosure: I'm not a PM or ITKer...) :cb:thumbsup:

No way would i be spending 10k a week on Mulumbu, it is miles above our pay scale and I just don't see him as being worth setting of a heep of wage problems for, if we are going to pay a wage like that there will others with similar ability at a better age than him.

DetroitHibs
16-08-2018, 08:39 PM
We knew for months what the situation was going to be in the midfield. We should have had players targeted for it.

Col_0762
16-08-2018, 08:39 PM
No way would i be spending 10k a week on Mulumbu, it is miles above our pay scale and I just don't see him as being worth setting of a heep of wage problems for, if we are going to pay a wage like that there will others with similar ability at a better age than him.

10k a week on him? Who’s quoting that? He hasn’t got a club. That’s how good he is. Fk me.

Sorry that wasn’t aimed at you btw lol. Was just quoting the 10k part.

MacGruber
16-08-2018, 08:40 PM
Think some need to chill. That was never a 3 nil game. We gifted the first, second came from a terrible corner, taken by Hanlon?!? Then a 30 yard run when no one clipped him, then a fluke pass right under the keeper. The third is a huge deflection right to their man. We put 4 quality balls into 6 yard box that no one followed in, Mclaren hit the post. We weren’t great but no awful. We need another CH if big Daz humped. An attacking midfielder like Allan, a left back and another forward. That’s if we’re being greedy. We probably have enough to be in the top 5, but to get into Europe again, as Lennon said, we need to spend. But it’s not anywhere near as bad as some are making out.

Agreed. But surely top priority a box to box midfielder/lynchpin type?

Col_0762
16-08-2018, 08:43 PM
Agreed. But surely top priority a box to box midfielder/lynchpin type?

Yeah like I said, an Allan type would be ideal. I don’t think we’re a million miles away. But not anywhere near as bad as some are making out. Bad defeat on paper yes, actual evidence, no. We miss that creativity of Allan and the drive of McGinn. There’s players out there, we have two weeks left to find them. Panic come September when the obvious is still missing is what I’m thinking. Lennon knows what he’s doing. Plus, Slivka is much more affective further forward.

OxoHibby
16-08-2018, 08:44 PM

What's a lot of money? That's the problem to move to the next level money

Stuart93
16-08-2018, 08:45 PM
Between you and NL I know who talks the most *****

Hmm at what point have I spoke *****? Cause I've repeated what lennon said in his interview & said hopefully he's talking *****?

👍🏼

Onceinawhile
16-08-2018, 08:45 PM
If red bull salzburg had bothered to spend some cash we would probably be through.

londonhibby
16-08-2018, 08:46 PM

That was, of course, tongue in cheek. Seriously, he's worth £5k a week at least. Cracking player who would anchor our midfield and provide class and experience we are missing. Rest of comments re Dundee's man stand.

calumhibee1
16-08-2018, 08:47 PM
Yeah like I said, an Allan type would be ideal. I don’t think we’re a million miles away. But not anywhere near as bad as some are making out. Bad defeat on paper yes, actual evidence, no. We miss that creativity of Allan and the drive of McGinn. There’s players out there, we have two weeks left to find them. Panic come September when the obvious is still missing is what I’m thinking. Lennon knows what he’s doing. Plus, Slivka is much more affective further forward.

I’m not sure Slivka is that affective anywhere to be honest. Not consistently anyway. To me we need to replace him with a powerhouse of a midfielder.

scoopyboy
16-08-2018, 08:47 PM
Hmm at what point have I spoke *****? Cause I've repeated what lennon said in his interview & said hopefully he's talking *****?

👍🏼

More the fact that you can't read in between the lines, as I replied to you previously he wasn't going to come out and say we've plenty money is he?

Col_0762
16-08-2018, 08:48 PM
That was, of course, tongue in cheek. Seriously, he's worth £5k a week at least. Cracking player who would anchor our midfield and provide class and experience we are missing. Rest of comments re Dundee's man stand.

5k a week on someone who’s played a dozen games at Killie and who now doesn’t haven’t a club?

calumhibee1
16-08-2018, 08:48 PM

He was one of the best players in the league last year. He’d be worth making our top earner IMO.

stoneyburn hibs
16-08-2018, 08:49 PM
Lennon is talking bollox, we know we have some money, so its obvious the other clubs will know it too.

Managers lie, its not a secret they do, and i'm surprised folk on here keep falling for it?

We will bring in some players, we will also let a few go too, loans and maybe permanents?
So what you saying ?

Ozyhibby
I’m not sure Slivka is that affective anywhere to be honest. Not consistently anyway. To me we need to replace him with a powerhouse of a midfielder.

Yip. His recent run of games have shown why he hasn’t been given a run before.

Billy Whizz

Not saying he’s the answer, but doesn’t help that we continually play him out of position. Even tonight he was sitting deep

Col_0762
16-08-2018, 08:50 PM

Had a bit tidier second half tonight. But he’s getting played here, there and everywhere. He can’t settle into a role. The boy has talent. We need to find a system that brings that talent out. We need to forget about Mcginn and Dylan and find a new way to play with what we have.

The_Horde
16-08-2018, 08:51 PM
1. Lennon said we need investment - he means we need to invest in the squad. We know it, he knows it. Hibs know it. Some people have taken this to mean we need outside investment, that is not true.

2. Lennon said we don't have much money after speaking about losing Mcginn - he means we don't have the money to replace Mcginn like for like as other clubs do. Which is true.

Nothing to see here. Move on.

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2018, 08:52 PM
So what you saying ?

Managers lie, we will sign players but the manager is not going to shout out from the rooftops that we are loaded.

londonhibby
16-08-2018, 08:52 PM
He was one of the best players in the league last year. He’d be worth making our top earner IMO.

Two posts, differing opinions Cal. Which one you with. I agree with your second post. I don't think Killie got nearly the best of him last year and he was head and shoulders their best player.
Based on you referring to Mulumbu, of course.

stoneyburn hibs
16-08-2018, 08:54 PM
Managers lie, we will sign players but the manager is not going to shout out from the rooftops that we are loaded.

Sorry I was being a widoe, you were stating the obvious.

calumhibee1
16-08-2018, 08:54 PM
Not saying he’s the answer, but doesn’t help that we continually play him out of position. Even tonight he was sitting deep

I’m not really sure what his position is. It’s 100% not out wide, that much is certain, but where does he play in the middle? To me he’s not a number 10, he’s nowhere near sharp enough for it, he doesn’t get involved enough to be a box to box midfielder and he never gets close enough to his man to be a sitting midfielder. He’s by no means the worst player I’ve seen at Hibs but he’s the absolute definition of average imo.

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2018, 08:56 PM
Sorry I was being a widoe, you were stating the obvious.

:greengrin to be fair, some folk need it pointed out and rammed up their nose.

basehibby
16-08-2018, 08:58 PM

Absolutely - we have bled an immense amount of midfield quality in McGinn and McGeough and that told tonight. We lost our best player in McGinn for the first leg but so did Molde in Haland. Molde hung onto Haland for now and he was the difference tonight just as McGinn was the difference for us against the Greeks.

I thought the team fought manfully tonight and didn't disgrace themselves - but we need to fill that McGinn/McGeough hole just to stand still from last season and that is the challenge for Lennon and the rest of the team. Record budget yes - and we are going to have to use it!

The Modfather
16-08-2018, 09:02 PM
I’m not really sure what his position is. It’s 100% not out wide, that much is certain, but where does he play in the middle? To me he’s not a number 10, he’s nowhere near sharp enough for it, he doesn’t get involved enough to be a box to box midfielder and he never gets close enough to his man to be a sitting midfielder. He’s by no means the worst player I’ve seen at Hibs but he’s the absolute definition of average imo.

Jack of all trades master of none. He’s neat and tidy, and can look elegant at times but don’t think he has any real influence, good or bad, on most games he plays. Does some good stuff, some bad, but neither to the degree that it has much influence on the result.

DJ HIBBY
16-08-2018, 09:03 PM
10k a week on him? Who’s quoting that? He hasn’t got a club. That’s how good he is. Fk me.

Sorry that wasn’t aimed at you btw lol. Was just quoting the 10k part.

That’s what I heard from good source. He’s not got a club due to his wage demands, not his footballing ability. He was on £20k a week originally. An English team will give him that no bother especially if desperate at end of the window.

The_Horde
16-08-2018, 09:04 PM
That’s what I heard from good source. He’s not got a club due to his wage demands, not his footballing ability. He was on £20k a week originally. An English team will give him that no bother especially if desperate at end of the window.

Rumours of West Brom wanting him. Wouldn't surprise me.

Stuart93
16-08-2018, 09:05 PM
More the fact that you can't read in between the lines, as I replied to you previously he wasn't going to come out and say we've plenty money is he?

I wouldn't expect him to but it's a strange thing to say if we do have money, he could've just not passed comment on how much money we have altogether

Captain Trips
16-08-2018, 09:06 PM
I am disappointed on going out but I think we have great players who had an off night. We definitely need a couple of more players but going forward our performance v St Johnstone is far more relevant than that of Molde.

It is up to NL and the club to ensure we improve on last season regardless of the sale of SJM.

Ozyhibby
16-08-2018, 09:07 PM
Jack of all trades master of none. He’s neat and tidy, and can look elegant at times but don’t think he has any real influence, good or bad, on most games he plays. Does some good stuff, some bad, but neither to the degree that it has much influence on the result.

Perfectly summed up. Handy sub but that’s it.

eastmainsmsh
16-08-2018, 09:07 PM
Put in double bid for Kamara and Caulker

Heisenberg
16-08-2018, 09:10 PM
We’ve already spent quite significantly this summer. Lennon is just playing the game. He notes that we need more in and the squad needs investment, which it’ll get. Hopefully not just attacking midfielders and wingers though :greengrin

Col_0762
16-08-2018, 09:10 PM

Sorry but I wouldn’t pay him anywhere near that on a dozen games at Killie. Find it hard to believe anyone would pay 20k for him a week. Staggering if true.

calumhibee1
16-08-2018, 09:12 PM
Sorry but I wouldn’t pay him anywhere near that on a dozen games at Killie. Find it hard to believe anyone would pay 20k for him a week. Staggering if true.

£20k a week means nothing to someone like WBA. Especially at the end of the window when they’re getting desperate.

DJ HIBBY
16-08-2018, 09:12 PM

This is the perfect summary of Slivka imo

DJ HIBBY
16-08-2018, 09:17 PM

Connor Sammon was on £20k a week down south. Staggering but true! £20k a week in the championship will more or less be the average wage.

Exuberance1875
16-08-2018, 09:17 PM
Put in double bid for Kamara and Caulker
Kamara yes, but not for the £1m they are quoting.

Caulker on the other hand, I'm honestly not sure what he'd bring to the party.

Billy Whizz
16-08-2018, 09:19 PM

Brought in as a box to box midfielder. Could carry the ball from defence to attack, and get in the oppositions box and score too. Deemed a similar sort of player to McGinn, or dare I say it his replacement. Think the jury’s out on him, in my opinion, but as I say he’s played in the wrong position most times he plays

Col_0762
16-08-2018, 09:21 PM
£20k a week means nothing to someone like WBA. Especially at the end of the window when they’re getting desperate.

Why not snap him up them?

Sammy7nil
16-08-2018, 09:21 PM
Thought Mallan was okay, Slivka went missing (not for the first time) and didn't think much of Hyndmann to be honest.

Really hope to see significant investment in not only a midfielder of calibre (Allan must be pursued) but a defender too.

Forget the loan market too.

Mallan wasn't okay he was good :greengrin

Col_0762
16-08-2018, 09:22 PM
Connor Sammon was on £20k a week down south. Staggering but true! £20k a week in the championship will more or less be the average wage.

So why had no one signed him? Don’t see it I’m afraid.

Pedantic_Hibee
16-08-2018, 09:23 PM
That wasn't a 3-0 over 2 legs although the best team won. Yes we need to strengthen and we need to work on shooting and passing. It's been a welcome distraction and we got further than I expected but time to get behind them and move on.

Spot on, S.

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2018, 09:23 PM

Probably a shed load of drink and drugs. :wink:

DJ HIBBY
16-08-2018, 09:24 PM
So why had no one signed him? Don’t see it I’m afraid.
So what’s the reason no one has signed him when he was so impressive for Killie?
Only passing on what I’ve heard

Col_0762
16-08-2018, 09:26 PM
So what’s the reason no one has signed him when he was so impressive for Killie?
Only passing on what I’ve heard

That’s what I’m saying. If he was that good, someone would have taken a chance. From what I seen against us, he wasn’t THAT good to merit the kind of moves being spoken about. I think he’d struggle to get a game for us. Honestly.

Ozyhibby
16-08-2018, 09:26 PM
Mallan wasn't okay he was good :greengrin

Yip. I thought Mallan was very good tonight, just didn’t have much help.

DJ HIBBY
16-08-2018, 09:28 PM
That’s what I’m saying. If he was that good, someone would have taken a chance. From what I seen against us, he wasn’t THAT good to merit the kind of moves being spoken about. I think he’d struggle to get a game for us. Honestly.

Neither was Sammon or many others (Rowan Vine etc)
but English teams are crazy with their cash. I think Mulumbu will most likely wait until window shuts and will sign for a team as free agent.

Hi Heid Yin
16-08-2018, 09:32 PM

Exuberance1875
16-08-2018, 09:32 PM
Wouldn't be comfortable signing Mulumbu paying him big money then having to wait 3/4 weeks for him to get fit as he's not had a preseason

Hi Heid Yin
16-08-2018, 09:33 PM
Yip. His recent run of games have shown why he hasn’t been given a run before.

Col_0762
16-08-2018, 09:39 PM
Neither was Sammon or many others (Rowan Vine etc)
but English teams are crazy with their cash. I think Mulumbu will most likely wait until window shuts and will sign for a team as free agent.

You keep saying Sammon. He trebled his wages. No danger he was getting 6.5k ish up here. No chance!

Hi Heid Yin
16-08-2018, 09:43 PM
Had a bit tidier second half tonight. But he’s getting played here, there and everywhere. He can’t settle into a role. The boy has talent. We need to find a system that brings that talent out. We need to forget about Mcginn and Dylan and find a new way to play with what we have.

I agree that this ( the bit in bold) doesn't help Slivka's cause, but you have to question why he can't make one position his own.
Neil Lennon, by now, must be a little tired of trying Slivka in different roles without finding a role he is especially good at.
For me, Slivka has had long enough to break through and show that he can impact games. I now see him in the same light as Swanson - lower SPL standard players struggling to make their mark at Hibs. These two, along with a "past-his-sell-by-date" Whittaker, sadly, do not have it in them, individually or collectively, to help us compete at the top end of the SPL.

DJ HIBBY
16-08-2018, 09:45 PM
You keep saying Sammon. He trebled his wages. No danger he was getting 6.5k ish up here. No chance!

I’m referring to Sammon’s wages at Derby, the move he got after Wigan. My point is English teams pay well over the odds in wages for gash players. Mulumbu was on £20k a week at Norwich so not unreasonable as free agent without a club that he would ask for half of that to get back in the game. Too rich for Scottish teams but peanuts down south

londonhibby
16-08-2018, 09:50 PM

I think you're wrong (obvs) but I've seen him with better teams around him (not Killie). Wage demands suggest he's (his agent?) is trying it on. But should he get real, and with this current, almost entirely attack-minded Hibs side around him, he'd flourish big style.

Col_0762
16-08-2018, 09:55 PM
I agree that this ( the bit in bold) doesn't help Slivka's cause, but you have to question why he can't make one position his own.
Neil Lennon, by now, must be a little tired of trying Slivka in different roles without finding a role he is especially good at.
For me, Slivka has had long enough to break through and show that he can impact games. I now see him in the same light as Swanson - lower SPL standard players struggling to make their mark at Hibs. These two, along with a "past-his-sell-by-date" Whittaker, sadly, do not have it in them, individually or collectively, to help us compete at the top end of the SPL.

Slivka plays a more advanced role for Lithuania. Apparently the same at Den Bosch. Maybe he needs a run there?

Col_0762
16-08-2018, 09:56 PM
I think you're wrong (obvs) but I've seen him with better teams around him (not Killie). Wage demands suggest he's (his agent?) is trying it on. But should he get real, and with this current, almost entirely attack-minded Hibs side around him, he'd flourish big style.

He’s 31 now. I certainly wouldn’t break the bank for him.

Col_0762
16-08-2018, 10:02 PM
I’m referring to Sammon’s wages at Derby, the move he got after Wigan. My point is English teams pay well over the odds in wages for gash players. Mulumbu was on £20k a week at Norwich so not unreasonable as free agent without a club that he would ask for half of that to get back in the game. Too rich for Scottish teams but peanuts down south

Apparently he was getting 40k a week at Norwich after a google search which is crazy lol.

Hi Heid Yin
16-08-2018, 10:07 PM
Slivka plays a more advanced role for Lithuania. Apparently the same at Den Bosch. Maybe he needs a run there?

I'm sure that Neil Lennon has considered Slivka in an advanced role and concluded: "Nah, he can't do a job there either!"
I genuinely think that Neil Lennon likes the guy and wants him to succeed and impact games, but it has not happened for him, wherever he is played. His game is bitty, with odd moments of skill and finesse interspersed with long periods of anonymity. Our club can't keep waiting for him to do-the-business on the park. I really do think it is a case of: "well, we at least tried to fit him in somewhere, but it didn't work out!"
Time to move on and find someone to play alongside Mallan and (fingers crossed) Allen.

londonhibby
16-08-2018, 10:13 PM
He’s 31 now. I certainly wouldn’t break the bank for him.

31... seriously? Do you think that's old for a footballer who operated close to top level? Beg to differ and all that but the lower levels of the Prem's now full of footballers such as him. He's not, by any standards, their level, but...

Col_0762
16-08-2018, 10:18 PM
31... seriously? Do you think that's old for a footballer who operated close to top level? Beg to differ and all that but the lower levels of the Prem's now full of footballers such as him. He's not, by any standards, their level, but...

I’m saying I wouldn’t pay over the odds for him. Operated close to top level? Where? West Brom or Norwich? People are going well overboard on this guy on the back of a half season at Killie.

The_Horde
16-08-2018, 10:18 PM
I'm sure that Neil Lennon has considered Slivka in an advanced role and concluded: "Nah, he can't do a job there either!"
I genuinely think that Neil Lennon likes the guy and wants him to succeed and impact games, but it is has not happened for him, wherever he is played. His game is bitty, with odd moments of skill and finesse intersperced with long periods of anonymity. Our club can't keep waiting for him to do-the-business on the park. I really do think it is a case of: "well, we at least tried to fit him in somewhere, but it didn't work out!"
Time to move on and find someone to play alongside Mallan and (fingers crossed) Allen.

I think he's only playing just now for his height and athleticism.. once we sign someone else he'll be out.

Forza Fred
16-08-2018, 10:20 PM

Agree with a lot of this but it is unreasonable to simply expect us to consistently over perform given we have lost basically the very players that were largely responsible for our resurgence...McGeouch, McGinn and Allan.

Very, very difficult to replace that blend though, and the recruitment team definitely have a challenge on their hands.

IWasThere2016
16-08-2018, 10:23 PM

The latter likes the drink - so I'm told - so I think he'd bring plenty to a party :greengrin

Borderhibbie76
16-08-2018, 10:27 PM
Lennon has confirmed Bartley will be out for up to 8 weeks our need to sign a couple of midfielders just got a little more urgent

londonhibby
16-08-2018, 10:30 PM
I’m saying I wouldn’t pay over the odds for him. Operated close to top level? Where? West Brom or Norwich? People are going well overboard on this guy on the back of a half season at Killie.

Fair enough point, but still (IMHO) much more needed than Kamara. Both would be wonderful but we can't afford that, I think.

londonhibby
16-08-2018, 10:32 PM
Fair enough point, but still (IMHO) much more needed than Kamara. Both would be wonderful but we can't afford that, I think.

And we need to address defensive issues too. Budget's better, but still tight.

basehibby
16-08-2018, 10:40 PM

You are playing it very one sided though Speedway. Against that spend (and a bit has been spent) there has been record ST sales, Euro run and the money from McGinn - and we still have a long way to go before we're standing still from the team we finished last season with - so yes a bit of money to be spent (and wisely)

MoscowHibs
16-08-2018, 10:59 PM
Agree! I thought Efe looked silky tonight cannae fault him.I can see us struggling to finish top six with that team. As others have pointed out lost SJM, Dylan and Scott Allan. Recruitment team need to pull a rabbit out the hat. We could do worse than sticking in a bid for Scott Allan to test the lie of the land?

I am led to believe we have approached the soap dodgers about Allan but Lowell is being a dick and not playing ball because of McGinn.

Hermit Crab
16-08-2018, 11:02 PM

:faf:. fishing

Hermit Crab
16-08-2018, 11:03 PM
We should sign kamberi & maclaren

Maclaren missed one of the sitters of the season. I did say I wasn't bothered about him coming back...

Hibbyradge
16-08-2018, 11:07 PM
We haven’t even tried to replace McGeogh though and we have known he wasn’t coming back since last season.

How do you know that?

Hermit Crab
16-08-2018, 11:10 PM
How do you know that?

He doesn't, pure guesswork.

jacomo
16-08-2018, 11:22 PM
Mallan looks more than decent for me but Slivka is no where near good enough. Time to move him on and get quality in.

Too early to say but Slivka certainly needs to do better.

NAE NOOKIE
16-08-2018, 11:35 PM
Before tonight there was pretty general consensus about what we need, so I don't think this game is responsible for folk repeating it.

More than anything we need a tough tackling defensive midfield player who can move the ball quickly and accurately between defence and attacking midfield players. Next we need to at least test the water with Celtic in regard to Scott Allan .. perhaps we already have, I don't know.

The jury has been out on Slivka for long enough IMO … every game he plays can be covered by the same few tepid comments … 'did ok but didn't contribute much' …. ' did some good things but flitted in and out of the game' ….. 'started quite well but seemed to tire later on' …. 'he needs a run of games before we can judge him' …….. the same comments could cover his performance tonight by all accounts. Exactly at what point is this guy going to step up and start using the talent I keep hearing he has to influence a game for more than 10 minutes at best? because for me his time is running out.

I do think we still have the potential to be a good team this season with a couple of decent additions and I certainly wont be judging us on a game where the odds were stacked against us, with too many positive factors being on Molde's side … I mean c'mon ….. They were at home, which is always a positive for any team, they are half way through their season, an artificial pitch they are used to playing on, a huge win at the weekend against the team top of their league and being able to play Norway's top rated domestic striker when they thought it might not happen.

Its just the start of the season, we are still to figure out our best team with some of the players having barely played more than a handful of games together … MacLaren isn't fully up to speed yet and Kamberi has been carrying an injury, we have played two different keepers in that time, neither our regular goalie which is never good for any defence. …. yes we need a couple of new players, but IMO there's far more to come from this team than we have seen.

Cod Boy
16-08-2018, 11:49 PM
No doubt there will still be activity in this transfer window. A defensive midfielder will probably be high on the agenda with Bartley looking like being out for a while. It would seem Lennon isn’t keen on Swanson who has fell even further down the pecking order with the signings of Hyndman and Horgdan and is getting a wage for basically watching games from the bench. Like most folk I would like to see Allan back but if he does I feel it will be a last day deal on deadline day.

Centre Hawf
16-08-2018, 11:55 PM
He doesn't, pure guesswork.

Anyone who didn't resign themselves to the fact he was going mid spring needs to have a word with themselves. Same goes for Lennon if he didn't draw up plans for that. Which looks like he hasn't cause its been nearly 3 months and I don't see anyone replacing him in this side.

lord bunberry
17-08-2018, 12:19 AM
Too early to say but Slivka certainly needs to do better.
The problem is we’ve been saying it’s too early for a while now. I’m not saying he doesn’t have a future with us, but it’s certainly not in the role that McGinn played. As soon as Bartley went off Slivka was completely lost. We basically need two players to do the job McGinn did.

Hibbyradge
17-08-2018, 12:30 AM
Anyone who didn't resign themselves to the fact he was going mid spring needs to have a word with themselves. Same goes for Lennon if he didn't draw up plans for that. Which looks like he hasn't cause its been nearly 3 months and I don't see anyone replacing him in this side.

Yes, but Ozzy said Hibs haven't even tried to replace him.

I don't know how he knows that, and I find it difficult to believe.

DetroitHibs
17-08-2018, 12:42 AM
We have generated probably about 7 million plus from season tickets, McGinn, Murray and the European money. Lennon should have been given 2 million to upgrade the squad.

Centre Hawf
17-08-2018, 01:05 AM
Yes, but Ozzy said Hibs haven't even tried to replace him.

I don't know how he knows that, and I find it difficult to believe.

I have no doubt that we've tried. But It's not particularly pleasing seeing how long its taking us to do so.

Dashing Bob S
17-08-2018, 01:22 AM
It’s pointless moaning on here about lack of signings. If anybody seriously doubts that Lennon and Dempster aren’t all over this, they haven’t been watching what’s been going on at Easter Road the last few years. Best relaxing and letting them get on with their jobs.

tonyrougier123
17-08-2018, 01:39 AM

Totally agree with you on mulumbu.if hes replying to hibs fans on twitter about being able to do a job for us ,I say ask for a trial then, show your commited to backing up your words,and ur worth a decent wage off hibs.until then im no sure aboot him 32 mind!

Hi Heid Yin
17-08-2018, 02:15 AM
Before tonight there was pretty general consensus about what we need, so I don't think this game is responsible for folk repeating it.

More than anything we need a tough tackling defensive midfield player who can move the ball quickly and accurately between defence and attacking midfield players. Next we need to at least test the water with Celtic in regard to Scott Allan .. perhaps we already have, I don't know.

The jury has been out on Slivka for long enough IMO … every game he plays can be covered by the same few tepid comments … 'did ok but didn't contribute much' …. ' did some good things but flitted in and out of the game' ….. 'started quite well but seemed to tire later on' …. 'he needs a run of games before we can judge him' …….. the same comments could cover his performance tonight by all accounts. Exactly at what point is this guy going to step up and start using the talent I keep hearing he has to influence a game for more than 10 minutes at best? because for me his time is running out.

I do think we still have the potential to be a good team this season with a couple of decent additions and I certainly wont be judging us on a game where the odds were stacked against us, with too many positive factors being on Molde's side … I mean c'mon ….. They were at home, which is always a positive for any team, they are half way through their season, an artificial pitch they are used to playing on, a huge win at the weekend against the team top of their league and being able to play Norway's top rated domestic striker when they thought it might not happen.

Its just the start of the season, we are still to figure out our best team with some of the players having barely played more than a handful of games together … MacLaren isn't fully up to speed yet and Kamberi has been carrying an injury, we have played two different keepers in that time, neither our regular goalie which is never good for any defence. …. yes we need a couple of new players, but IMO there's far more to come from this team than we have seen.

:top marks

Unseen work
17-08-2018, 02:47 AM
Neil Lennon saying we don’t have much money is obvious and true.

In the current market we can’t afford to go out and buy like for like replacements for McGinn, McGeouch and Allan. They’re worth millions and will all be on very high wages now.

Even the players performing well in the SPFL (Kamara for example) would cost us a fortune to buy and pay weekly as he knows he could get a lot more in England

Mallan, Kamberi and Horgan are three high quality players who we have paid cash for already. 2 have already got off to a fantastic start.

We don’t necessarily need to replace players like for like, maybe Lennon has a new style he wants to adopt.

The club is in the best position it has been for years and has the people in the right places to make sure we progress.

Neil is applying a bit more pressure on the board to help him achieve what he is capable of. He is quite right to do that imo.

CLASS OF 72 -73
17-08-2018, 03:51 AM

Brizo
17-08-2018, 05:04 AM
I'm confident that Lennon with the backing of the Board are doing their best to replace quality with quality and I think Lennons ability to find quality at bargain basement prices has been one of the main attributes he's brought to Hibs.

In the market we operate in , quality signings will either be guys with potential or guys who have lost their way and are getting offered a second chance by us. By definition that means all of them are a gamble. Realistically the chances of acquiring a midfield trio of the same calibre as the three who left, will be exceptionally difficult. Failure to do that wont imo be the fault of Lennon or the Board. Unfortunately spending a couple of million isn't a guarantee either when journeymen in the lower English leagues are going for millions.

Being horsed by Molde shouldn't be the sign for widespread panic. How we bounce back against RC and the sheep will be a better indicator of how our season is looking.

JimBHibees
17-08-2018, 06:23 AM
Yeah, he should have said we have ****loads of money. :confused:

:greengrin

Sioux
17-08-2018, 06:40 AM
We have generated probably about 7 million plus from season tickets, McGinn, Murray and the European money. Lennon should have been given 2 million to upgrade the squad.

That is complete nonsense.

Souter96Mac
17-08-2018, 06:45 AM
That is complete nonsense.

I think he means in total, including transfers and European money.

Brooster
17-08-2018, 06:48 AM
I am led to believe we have approached the soap dodgers about Allan but Lowell is being a dick and not playing ball because of McGinn.

We have been speaking to Celtic about Allan for over a month now. You are right.....they are being awkward.

GloryGlory
17-08-2018, 07:04 AM
We have been speaking to Celtic about Allan for over a month now. You are right.....they are being awkward.

Or maybe they have their valuation of the player, just like we had with McGinn. So it could just be a protracted negotiation to find some middle ground - hopefully we will get there before 31 August!

CropleyWasGod
17-08-2018, 07:30 AM
We have generated probably about 7 million plus from season tickets, McGinn, Murray and the European money. Lennon should have been given 2 million to upgrade the squad.How much was he given?

PapillonVert
17-08-2018, 07:33 AM
Whilst we can all agree that in order to progress, Hibs (and every club come to that) need to invest and keep raising the bar with regard to performance and the quality of players recruited, how many would be prepared to pay a few quid extra on their STs or walk-up prices?

When this has been suggested before, there is usually an outcry about how expensive the tickets already are - which is true. Not cheap to go to the footie these days, especially for, e.g. a family of three or four but better players command higher salaries.

Sure, we can try to recruit the likes of SJM early in their career and promote players from our own youth team and develop them but we know that, if they turn out to be any good at all, they will attract bids from richer clubs and will be gone just as they are maturing into a major influence. And we will be back to square one trying to plug the gap left (as currently with SJM).

Let's hope all the cash generated by our Euro adventures can be ploughed back into the team.

gorgie greens
17-08-2018, 07:44 AM
For me Boyle has been poor, Flo playing through injury , and trying to replace the midfield we had last year is going to be very hard.
we need a defensive midfielder of quality plus scotty .
We play better when we use 2 wide men and I don't think we will be far away

Borderhibbie76
17-08-2018, 07:47 AM
Neil Lennon saying we don’t have much money is obvious and true.

In the current market we can’t afford to go out and buy like for like replacements for McGinn, McGeouch and Allan. They’re worth millions and will all be on very high wages now.

Even the players performing well in the SPFL (Kamara for example) would cost us a fortune to buy and pay weekly as he knows he could get a lot more in England

Mallan, Kamberi and Horgan are three high quality players who we have paid cash for already. 2 have already got off to a fantastic start.

We don’t necessarily need to replace players like for like, maybe Lennon has a new style he wants to adopt.

The club is in the best position it has been for years and has the people in the right places to make sure we progress.

Neil is applying a bit more pressure on the board to help him achieve what he is capable of. He is quite right to do that imo.I think the point is he shouldn't really need to put pressure on the board tho...Dempster was forthright enough to tell us we had the biggest football budget ever...since then we got thru 3 rounds of euro football had record ST sales and sold SJM - money where the mouth is time now LD we need midfielders and we need them now!! The fans have backed you and done our bit... Yes some of the signings this summer already have been quality it we've lost our entire midfield from last year and only really brought in Mallan in theirplace. I don't count Hyndman as think he's just a stop gap 6 month signing

gorgie greens
17-08-2018, 07:50 AM

Celtic have been hung out to dry by their early champions league exit and the knifes are out due to their lack of signings and celtic knew from day one how much we were after for SJM and they are getting pelters and rightly so and Lowell sees Hibs as part of the problem as in how could we dare to refuse such riches that we can not afford to turn down .

The Modfather
17-08-2018, 08:20 AM
Whilst we can all agree that in order to progress, Hibs (and every club come to that) need to invest and keep raising the bar with regard to performance and the quality of players recruited, how many would be prepared to pay a few quid extra on their STs or walk-up prices?

When this has been suggested before, there is usually an outcry about how expensive the tickets already are - which is true. Not cheap to go to the footie these days, especially for, e.g. a family of three or four but better players command higher salaries.

Sure, we can try to recruit the likes of SJM early in their career and promote players from our own youth team and develop them but we know that, if they turn out to be any good at all, they will attract bids from richer clubs and will be gone just as they are maturing into a major influence. And we will be back to square one trying to plug the gap left (as currently with SJM).

Let's hope all the cash generated by our Euro adventures can be ploughed back into the team.

Isn’t this what HSL, regardless of its level of successful, is for?

Every extra penny helps of course, but I’m waiting to see Hibs match the level of support the fans have put in, of which I’ve no doubts they will, but with the money from season tickets, Euro run, increased tv and prize money last season and player sales etc etc I’m expecting a bare minimum one signing of the quality of the likes of Mulumbu and Kamara. Spend what we’ve taken in then we can look at the fans contributing more.

Deansy
17-08-2018, 08:24 AM
Celtic have been hung out to dry by their early champions league exit and the knifes are out due to their lack of signings and celtic knew from day one how much we were after for SJM and they are getting pelters and rightly so and Lowell sees Hibs as part of the problem as in how could we dare to refuse such riches that we can not afford to turn down .

Totally agree - well-known the value we put on SJM yet, like their pond-life support, Septic truly believed he was theirs to sign at their leisure - whether they paid a fee or not !. Now Lawell & Co will be desparate to get their pond-life back on-side and with that in mind I honestly don't think we'll see Allan back at ER anytime soon ! XXXX em !

chinaman
17-08-2018, 08:25 AM
I think the point is he shouldn't really need to put pressure on the board tho...Dempster was forthright enough to tell us we had the biggest football budget ever...since then we got thru 3 rounds of euro football had record ST sales and sold SJM - money where the mouth is time now LD we need midfielders and we need them now!! The fans have backed you and done our bit... Yes some of the signings this summer already have been quality it we've lost our entire midfield from last year and only really brought in Mallan in theirplace. I don't count Hyndman as think he's just a stop gap 6 month signing

great post and bang on

Gordy M
17-08-2018, 08:31 AM
Do folk think that Hibs accounts will show we will have money sitting in the bank doing nothing? I think any available money will be given to NL to spend. I think sometimes because we have signed players who were here last year eg Kamberi and McLaren that they havent cost anything? Those two plus Mallan and Bogdan will be on good wages i would think. Im sure we have money to sign maybe another two, but im not sure we will be sitting with millions in the bank.

One Day Soon
17-08-2018, 08:38 AM

How did you arrive at £7 million?

How did you arrive at a budget for Lennon of £2 million rather than £1 million or £3 million?

Why do you assume he hasn't been given £2 million?

How much of the additional income should go to Dempster's plans for a full size indoor pitch as a training facility?

What is the relative value of spending £2 million one-off capital on buying players as opposed to allowing higher levels of recurring revenue expenditure on player wages?

heid the baw
17-08-2018, 09:55 AM
It is more to do with wage structure than buying players. It is relatively easy to sign better quality players if you can offer them a wage that matches other offers. The problem we have is that we need to work within a narrow wage bracket, so having 2 millions means very little in terms of what you can afford weekly. Probably get you one 15 grand a week player for 2 years once you factor in signing and agent fees.

Famous Fiver
17-08-2018, 10:28 AM
Boyle has been taking some stick on here. I don't know if it is being discussed elsewhere on the forum but their manager in his post match interview indicated that they had to plan specially for Boyle by never leaving him one on one, or even two on one as they needed to blot him out of the game.

It obviously worked and because Boyle couldn't get the better of players teaming up against him he is taking stick on here.

Seems a bit harsh.

In my opinion.

Hermit Crab
17-08-2018, 11:31 AM
Boyle has been taking some stick on here. I don't know if it is being discussed elsewhere on the forum but their manager in his post match interview indicated that they had to plan specially for Boyle by never leaving him one on one, or even two on one as they needed to blot him out of the game.

It obviously worked and because Boyle couldn't get the better of players teaming up against him he is taking stick on here.

Seems a bit harsh.

In my opinion.

Most teams are doing that now.

Smartie
17-08-2018, 11:35 AM

Seems a bit harsh.

In my opinion.

That's quite interesting - I didn't notice that, and it would explain a lot.

You'd hope that we'd then be able to open up space elsewhere though?

ancient hibee
17-08-2018, 12:00 PM

Seems a bit harsh.

In my opinion.
Been happening for ages.The big weakness in recent seasons has been the lack of midfielders in the box taking advantage of defenders pulled out of position.Boyle gets past two players and has only one or two to aim at.The lack of goals from our much admired midfield was frankly pathetic.

BILLYHIBS
17-08-2018, 12:18 PM
Hmmm! Looks like they have two players that we want and need but will be forever out of our reach and have no chance of playing regularly for them. Thanks for the update 😁

DetroitHibs
17-08-2018, 12:27 PM

How did you arrive at a budget for Lennon of £2 million rather than £1 million or £3 million?

How much of the additional income should go to Dempster's plans for a full size indoor pitch as a training facility?

What is the relative value of spending £2 million one-off capital on buying players as opposed to allowing higher levels of recurring revenue expenditure on player wages?

Season ticket sales at roughly 4 million, could be as high as 5 million

McGinn 3 million, could be lower or higher

Murray and European money around about £700,000

So could potentially be looking at anywhere from 7-9 million brought in.

I arrived at the 2 million figure for Lennon right off the top off my head. Just grabbed a reasonable figure and threw it out there.

Do I know he hasn't been given 2 million? Nope.

Indoor pitch I've heard is going to cost roughly a million.

Lago
17-08-2018, 12:30 PM
Based on past experience, 40 years supporting Hibs, I will be supprised if significant money is spent to bring in players.

GloryGlory
17-08-2018, 12:45 PM
Based on past experience, 40 years supporting Hibs, I will be supprised if significant money is spent to bring in players.

We've already spent the best part of half a million on fees for 3 players. On top of that, there will be VAT, signing on fees and agents' commission to pay, which in total will add up to a significant sum. Then there is a commitment to the players' wages for 3/4 years on top of the initial outlay. We've also got an option on Maclaren at £400,000, according to the press (I know, I know).

So it's just not true to say that we won't spend significant money, because we already have in this window.

NAE NOOKIE
17-08-2018, 12:55 PM

As much as is needed IMO …. The talked about figure seems to be around a million quid, but when you see these things on the telly I'm surprised you can build them for that kind of money.

Since the chickens came home to roost and we got relegated the plan at Hibs has been to improve every aspect of what is available to make sure the team on the park has as much support as possible to perform to its maximum, be that physiotherapy, dieticians, sports science or whatever. I could be wrong, but the fact that we were able to keep Dylan McGouch on the pitch for a whole season and David Gray has returned so quickly from what seemed like a horrific injury is to me testament that Hibs are getting things right at East Mains.

The next logical step is the full sized indoor pitch …. The benefits of having ''''your own'''' facility of that nature are unquestionable IMO not only because in the climate we have the ability to remove the weather from the equation when it comes to training must be a real positive, but that when it comes to attracting players to the club and its nip tuck between you and another one regarding wages for example, the likelihood is that the team who can keep their guys out of the wind and rain on a freezing cold February morning is going to win out 90% of the time.

If we were dicing with relegation then the money needed for this being diverted to the playing squad would be a no brainer … but we aren't, and we are unlikely to be this season, so the time to build it is now … short term pain for long term gain as they say, and IMO an indoor pitch is highly likely to help lead to long term gains.

lucky
17-08-2018, 12:59 PM
The squad is competitive in Scotland but sadly our league is not competitive with others especially with the English leagues. Players always follow the money and there’s very little in Scotland. Hibs are spending money but we don’t have millions. Horgan, Mallan and Kamberi all had fees. McClaten will have a loan fee and they will all be decent money by Hibs standards. We are spending but still have to live within our means. That being said hopefully we can add a couple more players to the squad.

Lancs Harp
17-08-2018, 01:08 PM
As much as is needed IMO …. The talked about figure seems to be around a million quid, but when you see these things on the telly I'm surprised you can build them for that kind of money.

Since the chickens came home to roost and we got relegated the plan at Hibs has been to improve every aspect of what is available to make sure the team on the park has as much support as possible to perform to its maximum, be that physiotherapy, dieticians, sports science or whatever. I could be wrong, but the fact that we were able to keep Dylan McGouch on the pitch for a whole season and David Gray has returned so quickly from what seemed like a horrific injury is to me testament that Hibs are getting things right at East Mains.

The next logical step is the full sized indoor pitch …. The benefits of having ''''your own'''' facility of that nature are unquestionable IMO not only because in the climate we have the ability to remove the weather from the equation when it comes to training must be a real positive, but that when it comes to attracting players to the club and its nip tuck between you and another one regarding wages for example, the likelihood is that the team who can keep their guys out of the wind and rain on a freezing cold February morning is going to win out 90% of the time.

If we were dicing with relegation then the money needed for this being diverted to the playing squad would be a no brainer … but we aren't, and we are unlikely to be this season, so the time to build it is now … short term pain for long term gain as they say, and IMO an indoor pitch is highly likely to help lead to long term gains.

Agree with this. The long term stability and growth of the Club is paramount.

To read some of the threads on here last nights defeats seems to have triggered some sort of breakdown as if nothing the past few seasons had happened. The future is bright, we are club heading in the right direction, lets keep it that way.

Blaster
17-08-2018, 01:11 PM
The squad is competitive in Scotland but sadly our league is not competitive with others especially with the English leagues. Players always follow the money and there’s very little in Scotland. Hibs are spending money but we don’t have millions. Horgan, Mallan and Kamberi all had fees. McClaten will have a loan fee and they will all be decent money by Hibs standards. We are spending but still have to live within our means. That being said hopefully we can add a couple more players to the squad.

Nail on the head mate. Lack of TV money in comparison to other countries of similar size is the main reason we’ll struggle to compete regularly

CropleyWasGod
17-08-2018, 01:16 PM

I arrived at the 2 million figure for Lennon right off the top off my head. Just grabbed a reasonable figure and threw it out there.

Do we have the UEFA and Villa money yet? Will we have it by 31st August?

And how much of the ST money has NL been given? How much has he spent?

Lago
17-08-2018, 01:18 PM
We've already spent the best part of half a million on fees for 3 players. On top of that, there will be VAT, signing on fees and agents' commission to pay, which in total will add up to a significant sum. Then there is a commitment to the players' wages for 3/4 years on top of the initial outlay. We've also got an option on Maclaren at £400,000, according to the press (I know, I know).

So it's just not true to say that we won't spend significant money, because we already have in this window.
Ok we've spent money, significant money not even in Scottish terms would I class it as that, & certainly in UK terms it' s not, but what has been spent is welcome as it is a departure from previous years.:aok:

Gordy M
17-08-2018, 01:21 PM

I would imagine 3 charter flights will have taken a large chunk of the euro money.

GloryGlory
17-08-2018, 01:39 PM
Ok we've spent money, significant money not even in Scottish terms would I class it as that, & certainly in UK terms it' s not, but what has been spent is welcome as it is a departure from previous years.:aok:

Apart from the Glasgow behemoths, how is what Hibs have spent so far "not significant"? Have we been outspent by other Scottish clubs? In Scottish terms it is a significant sum.

As for the rest of the UK, the vast imbalance between what clubs in England get against what Hibs get in TV money makes comparison pointless - e.g. clubs like Bournemouth £120 million +, Hibs less than £2 million. Unless we are being outspent by clubs in Wales and Northern Ireland?

Ozyhibby
17-08-2018, 01:49 PM
Apart from the Glasgow behemoths, how is what Hibs have spent so far "not significant"? Have we been outspent by other Scottish clubs? In Scottish terms it is a significant sum.

As for the rest of the UK, the vast imbalance between what clubs in England get against what Hibs get in TV money makes comparison pointless - e.g. clubs like Bournemouth £120 million +, Hibs less than £2 million. Unless we are being outspent by clubs in Wales and Northern Ireland?

We appear to be being outspent by teams in other small European nation though. Clubs with much smaller crowds than us are regularly doing well in Europe. We need to work out why that is?

NAE NOOKIE
17-08-2018, 01:51 PM
Agree with this. The long term stability and growth of the Club is paramount.

To read some of the threads on here last nights defeats seems to have triggered some sort of breakdown as if nothing the past few seasons had happened. The future is bright, we are club heading in the right direction, lets keep it that way.

Absolutely.

Though I would say ( and I have repeated this on other threads and make no apology for it ) that a lot of this 'negativity' which appeared after last night's game appears to be the result of an old phenomenon that we have rarely had the opportunity to see on this forum in the last few years. That being a number of folk who though long time members rarely post unless the chance arises to rip into the club or the team … they were making hay while the sun shone yesterday.

IMO last night was a reality check for a few folk who it appears have forgotten a few basic truths about what it means to support Hibernian football club. There will always be peaks and troughs, its never going to be plain sailing, and we will always be in a state of flux when the absolute certainty is that when we discover enough good players to create a better than average team we will end up losing them to bigger clubs with far more money, in fact these days to smaller clubs with far more money.

When that happens getting the team back to where you want it to be, or where it was, is a huge task and thinking we can achieve that within less than two months of the players first pre season friendly is so unreasonably optimistic, not to mention unfair on the club, its unbelievable. We weren't pumped out of the Scottish cup by Stenhousemuir last night, we were beaten over two legs in a European tie by a team far better prepared for the challenge than we could hope to have been.

Its too easy in the euphoria of everything positive that's happened over the last few years to forget all this and that setbacks like last night have to be put into the context of a bigger picture. The reality is that you support a club where there are ALWAYS going to be setbacks and disappointments and if you haven't grasped that by now and accepted it, you have chosen the wrong club to follow my friends.

17-08-2018, 02:04 PM
Totally agree. Have been a st holder for a long long time and watched some horrendous results over the years. We r in a good moment just now and fans should embrace it.
Don't want it to happen but one bad season and we r left with the hard-core of supporters. Would at least mean I wouldn't be chucked our of my comfy leather in the FF upper.
GGTTH

Stevie Reid
17-08-2018, 02:12 PM
Absolutely.

Though I would say ( and I have repeated this on other threads and make no apology for it ) that a lot of this 'negativity' which appeared after last night's game appears to be the result of an old phenomenon that we have rarely had the opportunity to see on this forum in the last few years. That being a number of folk who though long time members rarely post unless the chance arises to rip into the club or the team … they were making hay while the sun shone yesterday.

IMO last night was a reality check for a few folk who it appears have forgotten a few basic truths about what it means to support Hibernian football club. There will always be peaks and troughs, its never going to be plain sailing, and we will always be in a state of flux when the absolute certainty is that when we discover enough good players to create a better than average team we will end up losing them to bigger clubs with far more money, in fact these days to smaller clubs with far more money.

When that happens getting the team back to where you want it to be, or where it was, is a huge task and thinking we can achieve that within less than two months of the players first pre season friendly is so unreasonably optimistic, not to mention unfair on the club, its unbelievable. We weren't pumped out of the Scottish cup by Stenhousemuir last night, we were beaten over two legs in a European tie by a team far better prepared for the challenge than we could hope to have been.

Its too easy in the euphoria of everything positive that's happened over the last few years to forget all this and that setbacks like last night have to be put into the context of a bigger picture. The reality is that you support a club where there are ALWAYS going to be setbacks and disappointments and if you haven't grasped that by now and accepted it, you have chosen the wrong club to follow my friends.

Craziest thing is we hardly ever lose a game under Lennon's management.

Malthibby
17-08-2018, 02:30 PM
Absolutely.

What he said. We've just lost our best player, Molde held onto theirs, at least for last night & that probably made the difference.
I'm thoroughly enjoying watching Hibs just now but I'm a long way short of thinking we are the finished article. We are good on a good day though & that'll do at the moment,
we have more of them than not. We're fans, we always want more, so will Lennon.
Hoping that we will get out in numbers for Ross County, the team deserves our ongoing support & as someone else said, it'a chance for another visit to Hampden & bash at
one of the few things we can realistically hope to win.
GG

CockneyRebel
17-08-2018, 02:31 PM
Absolutely.

Was going to post pretty much the same thoughts - no matter how often we put a good squad together we will always be rebuilding, maybe not every season but regularly. Players move on/get poached/get their heads turned/money talks. We will never have the money to keep players who catch the eye of other clubs and we have to accept this and plan accordingly. Within these limitations our present infrastructure should be able to cope.

MWHIBBIES
17-08-2018, 03:09 PM
Some absolute slabbers in this thread. Unreal what one bad result can do.

We'll be just fine this season. We're good and will show it.

Chic Murray
17-08-2018, 03:15 PM
I think the squad we have will have us comfortably in the top 6. The time to be spending money is in January - didn't work out to badly for us last season.

We did a lot better in Europe than we expected. The goal for the season has to be to qualify for Europe again, and have another go. It's the only hope clubs like us have of making serious money.

Dancehibs
17-08-2018, 03:28 PM
I think the squad we have will have us comfortably in the top 6. The time to be spending money is in January - didn't work out to badly for us last season.

We did a lot better in Europe than we expected. The goal for the season has to be to qualify for Europe again, and have another go. It's the only hope clubs like us have of making serious money.
Also , we won’t be playing teams as good as molde every week . Aberdeen will be a good test in terms of how we are looking

basehibby
17-08-2018, 03:42 PM

Fair comment but in the defence of our recruitment team - they haven't known what budget they've had to play with until the SJM move was completed. Now that's out the way I expect a lot more movement in the coming fortnight.

Patience is a virtue and we're going to have to use it.

ancient hibee
17-08-2018, 04:07 PM
We’ve played 8 competitive games this season and lost 1 at a time when we have had to recast our midfield and main strikers.Can’t help thinking that we would have been delighted before a ball was kicked if we could have been given that.