PDA

View Full Version : The Proclaimers- The Streets of Edinburgh

chrisski33
15-08-2018, 12:20 PM
Another class song from the boys and good bit of Hibs in video :

https://youtu.be/7qTbLoyQ23g

adhibs
15-08-2018, 12:24 PM
They really are garbage, sunshine on Leith excluded.

Coco Bryce
15-08-2018, 12:25 PM

Garbage? Maybe just not your cup of tea :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
15-08-2018, 12:27 PM
enjoyed that video

adhibs
15-08-2018, 12:27 PM
Garbage? Maybe just not your cup of tea :greengrin

Definately not my cup of tea!

chrisski33
15-08-2018, 12:28 PM

is that FACT or just your opinion?

superfurryhibby
15-08-2018, 12:29 PM
Not a huge fan, but decent enough effort.

Their first two albums were outstanding. Not really listened to them since.

cabbageandribs1875
15-08-2018, 12:30 PM

no, Garbage were/are a different group, and they had some cracking songs as well....with the female lead being a hibby :flag:

as for calling the proclaimers 'garbage' how ******* insulting is that eh

1van Sprou7e
15-08-2018, 12:31 PM

They have a few decent tunes but this is woeful

Wembley67
15-08-2018, 12:31 PM
If they weren't Hibs fans they would be getting ripped! Some stuff is no bad though.

Joe6-2
15-08-2018, 12:33 PM
I thought I would be saying, crap song, great video, BUT! I love it!!

One Day Soon
15-08-2018, 12:34 PM
That's actually a cracker.

Two observations. Firstly in the video when they're in the pub they look disturbingly like Eric Milligan, ultra Jambo of this parish. The facial resemblance is astonishing.

Secondly its a pity that there isn't some kind of clear - preferably very brief - shot of Tynecastle in there somewhere for completeness and balance.

I think the song itself is superb.

Joe6-2
15-08-2018, 12:36 PM
That's actually a cracker.

Two observations. Firstly in the video when they're in the pub they look disturbingly like Eric Milligan, ultra Jambo of this parish. The facial resemblance is astonishing.

Secondly its a pity that there isn't some kind of clear - preferably very brief - shot of Tynecastle in there somewhere for completeness and balance.

I think the song itself is superb.

I thought the same about tiny, but they are Hibees and fans, how many of us would fit it in?

SRHibs
15-08-2018, 12:39 PM
I have a Pavlovian hate of “Letter from America” now. The bus I was on for the Ross County final played it on repeat for the entire journey back to Edinburgh, including the hour or so stuck in the car park.

Not really a fan of their songs in general, outside of the obvious one.

hibby6270
15-08-2018, 12:40 PM
Even with my green tinted glasses off, you can’t help but be emotionally moved by this. A truly beautiful song and the video complements it so well.

abgreen
15-08-2018, 12:46 PM
Prefer this
h1ttps://youtu.be/AbMG1v7qDqs

sadtom
15-08-2018, 12:51 PM
no, Garbage were/are a different group, and they had some cracking songs as well....with the female lead being a hibby :flag:

as for calling the proclaimers 'garbage' how ******* insulting is that eh

Pretty sure Shirley is a lesser green.

Nameless
15-08-2018, 12:51 PM
It's a wee bit twee, like a tourist promo for the city. Having said that, I like both the song and the video.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

California-Hibs
15-08-2018, 12:53 PM
Love this! Brilliant.

hibbybob
15-08-2018, 12:54 PM
Anybody know what pub they are in?

Joe6-2
15-08-2018, 12:55 PM

She is ☹️

gunnerhibee
15-08-2018, 01:04 PM

Beautiful song and video :not worth:not worth

cabbageandribs1875
15-08-2018, 01:11 PM

had a quick google and others say hibby...along with gail porter, which i've know about for many years :)

from the sun How about SHIRLEY MANSON from GARBAGE? She must be up for it?She lives in America but I’ve heard she supports Hibs. She pops into Xfm and
I ask the big question.
She replies: “In all honesty, Gordon, I am so far removed from the football
world now, I couldn’t comment. I’ve heard about the Salt ’n’ Sauce final but
I wouldn’t have a clue who will win it.

she's maybe a silent fan :)

barcahibs
15-08-2018, 01:17 PM
Sunshine on Leith excluded I'm not a big fan of the Proclaimers (not really a big fan of music in general tbh) ... But that was just superb. I'd tweak the video a bit (a drone/aerial shot of the crowd going into Easter Road as they sing the chorus would have me greeting I think), but that's just because I'm a Hibby.

where'stheslope
15-08-2018, 01:22 PM
A real treat for the eyes, took me way back to my childhood, in and around The Castle, The Grassmarket and Royal Mile was my playground!
And the footage shot down Leith reminded me of my Apprenticeship in Bertrams at the foot of the Walk next to bus station, and served the 1st year of my time in EDETA in Dock Street and my 1st year at College was in Lorne Street School before moving to Telford College.
The song is I think one of their best, as it has captured the essence of what Edinburgh is all about!

IngolstadtHarry
15-08-2018, 01:24 PM
First time I'd heard it - great song, with a memorable chorus melody and the trademark Proclaimers harmony, which catches the listener instantly. That will be a hit.
Leithers can be proud of their connections to two world-renowned musical institutions - the Proclaimers and Dick Gaughan - both of which are probably more appreciated abroad than in their homelands.

sadtom
15-08-2018, 01:25 PM
had a quick google and others say hibby...along with gail porter, which i've know about for many years :)

from the sun How about SHIRLEY MANSON from GARBAGE? She must be up for it?She lives in America but I’ve heard she supports Hibs. She pops into Xfm and
I ask the big question.
She replies: “In all honesty, Gordon, I am so far removed from the football
world now, I couldn’t comment. I’ve heard about the Salt ’n’ Sauce final but
I wouldn’t have a clue who will win it.

she's maybe a silent fan :)

Met Shirley a couple of times back in the GMM days. Have a couole of mutual friends. Fitba wasnt a particular point of conversation but one mate (sadly no longer with us) knew her since they were kids told me years ago when i first saw the rumour she was a Hibby, that she wasnt and what small allegience she did have was to celtc, though she would prefer Hibs when it came to the Embra divide.

where'stheslope
15-08-2018, 01:30 PM
First time I'd heard it - great song, with a memorable chorus melody and the trademark Proclaimers harmony, which catches the listener instantly. That will be a hit.
Leithers can be proud of their connections to two world-renowned musical institutions - the Proclaimers and Dick Gaughan - both of which are probably more appreciated abroad than in their homelands.
This brought back another memory, I'm sure Dick Gaughan and I both lived in Graham Street at the same time in the 60's?

JohnStephens91
15-08-2018, 01:34 PM
Anybody know what pub they are in?

Dagda Bar at the Southside. Cracking beers on draught!

where'stheslope
15-08-2018, 01:35 PM
This brought back another memory, I'm sure Dick Gaughan and I both lived in Graham Street at the same time in the 60's?

SouthMoroccoStu
15-08-2018, 01:39 PM
Met Shirley a couple of times back in the GMM days. Have a couole of mutual friends. Fitba wasnt a particular point of conversation but one mate (sadly no longer with us) knew her since they were kids told me years ago when i first saw the rumour she was a Hibby, that she wasnt and what small allegience she did have was to celtc, though she would prefer Hibs when it came to the Embra divide.

You've broke my heart (sorrow, sorrow) today sadtom

Always liked the idea of Shirley in a Hibs shirt :blushie:

IngolstadtHarry
15-08-2018, 01:49 PM

Dick lived in Leith for the whole of the 1950s and 1960s - he served his time in a paper mill there too.

Tornadoes70
15-08-2018, 01:50 PM

This made me think the song might be dug brown stuff.

However, I thought it was brilliant.

Opinions and all that but I cannot understand for the life of me how anyone could call this 'garbage'.

Well done Charlie and Craig for a cracking home town song.

:not worth

IWasThere2016
15-08-2018, 01:55 PM

Just bought "Angry Cyclist" - a few tracks in and it is fab! :flag:

where'stheslope
15-08-2018, 01:56 PM
Dick lived in Leith for the whole of the 1950s and 1960s - he served his time in a paper mill there too.

I also remember the Old Steel Yard at the side of the Water of Leith behind our houses and the Paper Mill works on the other bank.
Thanks for that, another great memory brought to the front of my brain!!!

Mick O'Rourke
15-08-2018, 02:08 PM

Dick was good pals wae former Leith MP, the late Ron Brown (who i worked for at election time)
Some good sing songs at Ron's hoose,sharing some grand Malts !!
My memory of Dick was him on the balustrade of the City Chambers,celebrating Labour's first ever majority on the council in 1984.
Dick gave a grand rendition of "The Internationale" from the rooftop.
The "establishment" was none to pleased !!

Changed days ..but
Happy Days !!

Red Cabbage
15-08-2018, 02:23 PM
Love it!

IngolstadtHarry
15-08-2018, 02:27 PM
Dick was good pals wae former Leith MP, the late Ron Brown (who i worked for at election time)
Some good sing songs at Ron's hoose,sharing some grand Malts !!
My memory of Dick was him on the balustrade of the City Chambers,celebrating Labour's first ever majority on the council in 1984.
Dick gave a grand rendition of "The Internationale" from the rooftop.
The "establishment" was none to pleased !!

Changed days ..but
Happy Days !!

Glad to share memories with you and 'Where'stheslope'.
I'd have loved to have seen Gaughan at the City Chambers. He was making a comeback around that time after suffering health problems.
I also knew Ron Brown and campaigned for him as an independent in 1992, after he'd be expelled by Kinnock's Labour Party.
We used an empty shop down the Walk on the left as a campaign base.

stoneyburn hibs
15-08-2018, 02:31 PM
I think that the song will be a grower.

hibbie02
15-08-2018, 02:35 PM
Going to see them in Southend in October and I could be tearing up when they play that one. SOL will no doubt tip me over the edge though!!!

Mick O'Rourke
15-08-2018, 02:42 PM
Glad to share memories with you and 'Where'stheslope'.
I'd have loved to have seen Gaughan at the City Chambers. He was making a comeback around that time after suffering health problems.
I also knew Ron Brown and campaigned for him as an independent in 1992, after he'd be expelled by Kinnock's Labour Party.
We used an empty shop down the Walk on the left as a campaign base.

We must have met then Harry.
I helped with the campaign with Ron Taylor (Ron's agent) and May Brown from the shop.

I got suspended for that,then left the party;-)
I got the cold shoulder at the count that year at Meadowbank from the likes of Milligan and Brian Fallon.
More faces than the Tron clock !

On the topic
Any chance the not so noisy neighbours will adopt the new Proclaimers song as their own?
They are mimicking a lot of things Hibernian at the moment.
Like trying to get a singing section properly established.
Although early signs appear that their song book (and flags) is very rAngers like.

They told us that they killed us as a club, after that final,just before they went bust !

The Phoenix has risen... and they don't like it one bit !

SirDavidsNapper
15-08-2018, 02:50 PM
Wouldn't be high on my playlist but a possible "grower"

Hibbyradge
15-08-2018, 02:51 PM
I'm going to see them in the Barbican in York in October.

I've got 2 spare tickets too ...

cam2644
15-08-2018, 03:04 PM
A good one

IngolstadtHarry
15-08-2018, 03:10 PM
We must have met then Harry.
I helped with the campaign with Ron Taylor (Ron's agent) and May Brown from the shop.

I got suspended for that,then left the party;-)
I got the cold shoulder at the count that year at Meadowbank from the likes of Milligan and Brian Fallon.
More faces than the Tron clock !

On the topic
Any chance the not so noisy neighbours will adopt the new Proclaimers song as their own?
They are mimicking a lot of things Hibernian at the moment.
Like trying to get a singing section properly established.
Although early signs appear that their song book (and flags) is very rAngers like.

They told us that they killed us as a club, after that final,just before they went bust !

The Phoenix has risen... and they don't like it one bit !

You might remember me - I was playing the pipes when we went on a tour of pubs around the less salubrious parts of Edinburgh North. I remember the Doocot in particular, and a few other bars of the Trainspotting variety. Ron was greeted like a hero wherever we stopped. It was a fantastic experience.
Those were bad times for the Labour Party and the unions and I'm glad things are swinging the other way now. 'More faces than the Tron clock' - I love it!

I can't imagine our neighbours adopting anything by the Proclaimers, although everyone in Edinburgh has a right to be proud of them.

CockneyRebel
15-08-2018, 03:37 PM
is that FACT or just your opinion?

I'm English and a big fan. The accents confuse a lot of folk but they have penned lots of great songs and not just the well known ones. Every country I've been to (and that's an awful lot of countries) there's been a marmite reaction - love/hate - but the love outweighs the hate every time. I don't complain when folk dislike them as there's lots of bands/singers that I don't like - so each to their own. Loved this song and video by the way.

Hermit Crab
15-08-2018, 03:44 PM

Agree mate. :agree:

blackpoolhibs
15-08-2018, 03:46 PM
Love the song and love the video. :top marks

AltheHibby
15-08-2018, 03:59 PM
Love it. I rate it up there with SOL.

HarpyHibby
15-08-2018, 04:03 PM
If anyone reading this has a spare ticket to see them in Dublin in December, let me know!

PeeJay
15-08-2018, 04:49 PM
Enjoyed the song and loved the video - almost made me want to go "home" ...

southsider
15-08-2018, 04:56 PM
Have been going to the boys gigs for 30 odd years. Grew up with the Clash but Letter from America blew my mind. The new song is brilliant too.

bod
15-08-2018, 05:00 PM
really like it & love the video but could do without the fitba bits in it

maturehibby
15-08-2018, 05:29 PM
Hope DJ plays it on Sunday and leaves it to the fans to decide if they like it or not
No views of Gorgie either that I saw
So that will annoy them and 400k potential buyers too :thumbsup:

Phil MaGlass
15-08-2018, 06:07 PM
A bit slow but it will grow

RoxburghHibs
15-08-2018, 06:55 PM
It’s a grower for sure. Love their passion for Edinburgh, Scotland and of course The Hibees

LancsHibs
15-08-2018, 07:37 PM
Love it!

G B Young
15-08-2018, 07:55 PM
really like it & love the video but could do without the fitba bits in it

The song is their personal view of the city and the Hibs bits reflect what Edinburgh means to them so I don't think they could really have left them out.

It will never hold a candle to Sunshine on Leith but it's got some emotional clout, the chorus in particular.

Nakedmanoncrack
15-08-2018, 08:01 PM
First time I've seen the video- but the song and album are good, personally I think some of their best stuff is on the lesser known albums, they've really made some good music - consistently. The vid is great, only adds to a good tune :thumbsup:

IGRIGI
15-08-2018, 08:03 PM
A bit slow but it will grow

And what about the song?

hibee_nation
15-08-2018, 08:04 PM
Sitting on the banks of the Rhine thinking it doesn't get more German than this. Then watched the video and it's true there's nae where like home

ggtth

Fuzzywuzzy
15-08-2018, 08:32 PM
From watching that there's nothing from the west side unless some of the flats are wester hailes way.

calumhibee1
15-08-2018, 08:32 PM
From watching that there's nothing from the west side unless some of the flats are wester hailes way.

No wonder :greengrin

eastcoasthibby
15-08-2018, 08:33 PM
words n video are great ...love it

Dashing Bob S
15-08-2018, 09:09 PM
Great song. Can see it being adopted by Hearts supporters and becoming their SOL.

Callyballybe
15-08-2018, 09:15 PM
Quite like it actually. 👍

bod
15-08-2018, 09:17 PM
The song is their personal view of the city and the Hibs bits reflect what Edinburgh means to them so I don't think they could really have left them out.

It will never hold a candle to Sunshine on Leith but it's got some emotional clout, the chorus in particular.

Usually the video ideas are up to the director but for the 10 seconds or so of ER you could have 2or3 of muddyfield & tinycastle to show an even balance,doubt it’ll get played down gorgay way though

Moulin Yarns
15-08-2018, 09:20 PM

Naw, Garbage is Manson, Shirley.

iwasthere1972
15-08-2018, 09:26 PM
Great song. Can see it being adopted by Hearts supporters and becoming their SOL.

Hearts came to mind when I heard 'They pass, they pass, they pass' in the lyrics.

:fibber:

cleanyman
15-08-2018, 09:30 PM
The Proclaimers are bad.

Really bad.

Hermit Crab
16-08-2018, 12:59 AM
The Proclaimers are bad.

Really bad.

Careful mate. Pitchfork and torch job for that comment. :greengrin

For what its worth though I agree with you. :agree:

poolman
16-08-2018, 01:45 AM
Definately not my cup of tea!

What is your "cup of tea then ?"

sadtom
16-08-2018, 01:53 AM
You've broke my heart (sorrow, sorrow) today sadtom

Always liked the idea of Shirley in a Hibs shirt :blushie:

Who knows? If you asked nicely enough.
Never stop believing. They cant take your dreams away. :-)

stuart-farquhar
16-08-2018, 05:32 AM
Decent song only a Gorgie frother would dislike

JimBHibees
16-08-2018, 07:10 AM
Like the song, love the video.

Can remember watching that excellent documentary about the Proclaimers with David Tennent to realise how many brilliant songs they have had.

Well done lads brilliant. :not worth

RoxburghHibs
16-08-2018, 08:16 AM
Have to say on first listening I was "meh" but I listened again as I liked how it starts off slow then builds. So I listened again straightaway and thought ok I'm getting this now. I've listened and watched the video half a dozen times and I'm hooked - love it.

The Proclaimers are not everyone's taste but that's what I love about them. Some people like popular music some like something a little more "off the beaten track" - that said this is neither of these to me it's "The Proclaimers!" :cb:greengrin

cleanyman
16-08-2018, 08:18 AM
Two guys fae Fife singing about The Streets of Edinburgh

I predict it will sell 5 copies

RoxburghHibs
16-08-2018, 08:19 AM

They are "from" Edinburgh but live in Fife.

HIBERNIAN-0762
16-08-2018, 08:23 AM
Well I just watched it and have to say it was a terrible song,singing was bad to say the least. Sorry guys, good Hibees but....

cleanyman
They are "from" Edinburgh but live in Fife.

Went to school in Fife.

What's the matter with singing about The Fields of Fife?

That would sell more than 5 copies.

CentreLine

No. Two guys fi Leith who moved with their parents to Fife and later returned to Edinburgh singing about the streets of Edinburgh.

Having said all that, not my favourite song from the twins. It may grow on me but don’t think so.

hibee-boys
16-08-2018, 08:27 AM
They wrote some great tunes....this is not one of them!

RoxburghHibs
16-08-2018, 08:29 AM
Went to school in Fife.

What's the matter with singing about The Fields of Fife?

That would sell more than 5 copies.

They could do that as they spent time in Fife. That said they spent time in South England as well. They were born and raised in Edinburgh and consider themselves to be from Edinburgh - end off.
As for sales "meh" I doubt they write a song with that in mind however it will sell more than 5 copies has done already. As I said before, The Proclaimers are not everyones cup of tea, as not popular music. But thank lord for the Proclaimers.

RoxburghHibs
16-08-2018, 08:30 AM
No. Two guys fi Leith who moved with their parents to Fife and later returned to Edinburgh singing about the streets of Edinburgh.

Having said all that, not my favourite song from the twins. It may grow on me but don’t think so.

:top marks

Give it a few listens mate

Billy Whizz
16-08-2018, 08:31 AM

It’s growing on me.

CentreLine
16-08-2018, 08:45 AM

Sure will. Don’t give up on the Twitter twins that easily

One Day Soon
16-08-2018, 08:47 AM
I've listened to it again last night and this morning. You better get used to hearing it whether you like it or not because it's definitely got legs.

Lots of things about it don't quite work individually but somehow collectively it all adds up to an absolute cracker.

I sent the link to a mate in New Zealand who was born and bred Edinburgh but moved there 'temporarily' about 25 years ago after his marriage failed. He's not been able to watch it all the way through because he keeps choking up.

BTW is that Tynie floodlights in the distant background at 1.53? Good if so.

Billy Whizz
16-08-2018, 08:50 AM
Wish the video was on full screen though, could see it much better

Green_one
16-08-2018, 08:52 AM
Enjoyed it. Good filming. :flag:

Edinburgh is not easy to include in a song

JimBHibees
16-08-2018, 08:52 AM
I've listened to it again last night and this morning. You better get used to hearing it whether you like it or not because it's definitely got legs.

Lots of things about it don't quite work individually but somehow collectively it all adds up to an absolute cracker.

I sent the link to a mate in New Zealand who was born and bred Edinburgh but moved there 'temporarily' about 25 years ago after his marriage failed. He's not been able to watch it all the way through because he keeps choking up.

I would guess it might be Meadowbank may be wrong. Agree should have had a bit about Hearts also possibly Murrayfield also.

RoxburghHibs
16-08-2018, 08:55 AM
I would guess it might be Meadowbank may be wrong. Agree should have had a bit about Hearts also possibly Murrayfield also.

Yeah looks like Meadowbank.

My interpretation of the video/song is it's "their view" of Edinburgh hence Easter Road is prominent and Meadowbank in a background shot.

J-C
16-08-2018, 09:01 AM
Not a huge fan but loved the video, showed the crappy places as well as the nice ones.

JimBHibees
16-08-2018, 09:04 AM
Yeah looks like Meadowbank.

My interpretation of the video/song is it's "their view" of Edinburgh hence Easter Road is prominent and Meadowbank in a background shot.

Which in hindsight is probably fair enough.

Spike Mandela
16-08-2018, 09:13 AM
First up I am a huge fan of the Proclaimers......however....

This song is a dirge and as somebody who grew up in Sighthill I barely recognise any of these ‘streets of Edinburgh’ apart from the City Centre.

Not their best.

One Day Soon
16-08-2018, 09:16 AM

This song is a dirge and as somebody who grew up in Sighthill I barely recognise any of these ‘streets of Edinburgh’ apart from the City Centre.

Not their best.

How many neighbourhoods would they have to get into the video to cover everyone/everywhere? There's no Gracemount, Liberton, Inch, Tollcross or Blackhall either as far as I can make out...but it still looks and feels like home to me.

Spike Mandela
16-08-2018, 09:33 AM
How many neighbourhoods would they have to get into the video to cover everyone/everywhere? There's no Gracemount, Liberton, Inch, Tollcross or Blackhall either as far as I can make out...but it still looks and feels like home to me.

Don’t recognise anything west of the castle in the video to be honest. Not expecting google maps or anything but other than Easter Ro didn’t really spend much of my life in Leith or the southside so it just isn’t that familiar or nostalgic to me, sorry, really wanted to like it.

RoxburghHibs
16-08-2018, 09:34 AM
Don’t recognise anything west of the castle in the video to be honest. Not expecting google maps or anything but other than Easter Ro didn’t really spend much of my life in Leith or the southside so it just isn’t that familiar or nostalgic to me, sorry, really wanted to like it.

The song is (as I see it) their perspective so doesn't include areas you mention for that reason.

Just Jimmy
16-08-2018, 09:48 AM
the lyrics about worrying about her health due to human wealth and how she'll recover herself are particularly excellent.

it'll grow. I like it a lot.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

One Day Soon
16-08-2018, 09:55 AM
the lyrics about worrying about her health due to human wealth and how she'll recover herself are particularly excellent.

it'll grow. I like it a lot.

The lyrics below - they don't quite say the interpretation you've taken i think. Listened to it without watching the video and it's just as good if not better. Though the finish of the video with the boy just dancing and playing and beautiful Edinburgh in the background is stunning to me. Like poetry.

Along these broken pavements
I let my mind run free
The past and the present
Seem just the same to me
The people I have loved most
Among these stones did dwell
And in the plainest language
The stories they did tell

They pass, they pass, they pass, they pass
The streets of Edinburgh
Hold half the world for me
In scores, in droves, the living and the ghost
The streets of Edinburgh
Mean most to me

Depending on your view point
This place is blessed or cursed
And in the years I've lived here
I've seen the best and worst
An air of sordid passion
A look of dirty grace
But not right in your face
It's not that kind of place

The streets of Edinburgh
The streets of Edinburgh
Mean most to me

Down greasy potholed roadways
I watch the traffic crawl
But for the cars and buses
I give no thought at all
I think about the future
I wonder at her health
How with this human wealth
She does renew herself

The streets of Edinburgh
The streets of Edinburgh
Mean most to me

Bostonhibby
16-08-2018, 10:23 AM
I've always liked the Proclaimers, seen them many times and met them a couple of times after concerts, good guys both. The songs starting to grow on me, as some have said it's difficult to work Edinburgh into a song and then satisfy everyone, unless they decide to put music to the contents of the Edinburgh phone directory thereby only pissing off the ex directory brigade:wink:

LaMotta
16-08-2018, 10:24 AM

Defo a grower and I think you are right that we will hear a lot of it.

I can understand why people dont like them but to say they are garbage is wrong, they are brilliant song writers. They polarise opinion which is a far better thing than going unnoticed.

JeMeSouviens
16-08-2018, 11:13 AM
I like the Proclaimers but I would only really listen to the first 2 albums. As with a lot of artists they kind of ran out of steam and it gets progressively blander as you go on. I think they know that themselves, the majority of their setlist is still the first 2 albums even after all this time.

Peevemor
16-08-2018, 11:21 AM
The only criticism I have of the Proclaimers is their 'samishness'/lack of variety. However, I remain a fan.

Success fell upon them but I don't get the impression that they ever chased it.

I think they remain true to themselves and what they do. They're not the best singers around but they have a sound that is unique and instantly recognisable.

They've been on the go for over 30 years and are still well capable of producing interesting, thought provoking lyrics.

Keep it up guys.

Pretty Boy
16-08-2018, 11:30 AM
I like it. Some of The Proclaimers best work is their recent stuff.

They are a bit hit and miss but this is one of their better offerings. It will do well because for 30 years they have always sold well. 6 top 40 albums, silver, gold and platinum albums in the UK, a double platinum album in Australia and a gold in the US suggests it will do a bit better than '5 copies'.

30+ years longevity isn't a fluke.

grunt
16-08-2018, 11:31 AM
People complaining because it doesn't have their house / street / area on it.
Jeez.

woodythehibee
16-08-2018, 12:10 PM
Love the track and the album is a cracker.

Particular favourites of mine are Angry Cyclist, Streets of Edinburgh and Battle of the Booze.

Looking forward to November!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

G B Young
16-08-2018, 12:16 PM

Not their best.

That's because Sighthill is too near Gorgie :wink:

As others have pointed out it seems fairly clear that it's not supposed to be an all-encompassing picture of Edinburgh, it's about the parts of it which mean something to them eg lots of Leith/Easter Road footage, city centre, New Town, Southside (where I think one or both of them live) and assorted other parts including Craigmillar. There appears to be nothing from within the vicinity of Tynecastle and from their perspective that's fair enough. I certainly would never go near that part of the city if it wasn't for the fact we have the misfortune of having to play Hearts there. The very presence of the yams is the one major flaw in Edinburgh's make-up and seeing Tynecaste in the video would just be depressing.

G B Young
16-08-2018, 12:23 PM
I like the Proclaimers but I would only really listen to the first 2 albums. As with a lot of artists they kind of ran out of steam and it gets progressively blander as you go on. I think they know that themselves, the majority of their setlist is still the first 2 albums even after all this time.

I agree to a certain extent. As albums the first two are certainly the most consistent and have that vital edge to them. However, there have been some further highlights along the way and I thought their 'comeback' album Persevere had a fresh, uplifting feel to it. The opening track is a cracker. Streets of Edinburgh is a pale companion to Sunshine on Leith but there's a poignancy there that starts to get to you the more you listen to and as somebody else has mentioned that closing footage of the wee boy is lovely.

ronaldo7
16-08-2018, 12:28 PM
I love it. The video just tops it off for me. It's not until you've left Auld reekie, that you understand what you've missed. I'm glad I came home.

Spike Mandela
16-08-2018, 12:28 PM
Jeez.

Wasn’t complaining, just an observation. Sorry it ruined your day.😜🤪

Spike Mandela
16-08-2018, 12:31 PM
That's because Sighthill is too near Gorgie :wink:

As others have pointed out it seems fairly clear that it's not supposed to be an all-encompassing picture of Edinburgh, it's about the parts of it which mean something to them eg lots of Leith/Easter Road footage, city centre, Southside (where I think one or both of them live) and assorted other parts including Craigmillar. There appears to be nothing from within the vicinity of Tynecastle and from their perspective that's fair enough. I certainly would never go near that part of the city if it wasn't for the fact we have the misfortune of having to play Hearts there. The very presence of the yams is the one major flaw in Edinburgh's make-up and seeing Tynecaste in the video would just be depressing.

Far too near Gorgie, try being one of about 4 Hibbies in your entire primary school.:greengrin

lord bunberry
16-08-2018, 01:23 PM
The Proclaimers are bad.

Really bad.
You are tedious, really tedious. You were on another thread the other day saying you found hibs fans strange. Why do you bother?

Just Jimmy
16-08-2018, 01:26 PM
The lyrics below - they don't quite say the interpretation you've taken i think. Listened to it without watching the video and it's just as good if not better. Though the finish of the video with the boy just dancing and playing and beautiful Edinburgh in the background is stunning to me. Like poetry.

Along these broken pavements
I let my mind run free
The past and the present
Seem just the same to me
The people I have loved most
Among these stones did dwell
And in the plainest language
The stories they did tell

The streets of Edinburgh
The streets of Edinburgh
Mean most to me

Depending on your view point
This place is blessed or cursed
And in the years I've lived here
I've seen the best and worst
An air of sordid passion
A look of dirty grace
But not right in your face
It's not that kind of place

The streets of Edinburgh
The streets of Edinburgh
Mean most to me

Down greasy potholed roadways
I watch the traffic crawl
But for the cars and buses
I give no thought at all
I think about the future
I wonder at her health
How with this human wealth
She does renew herself

The streets of Edinburgh
The streets of Edinburgh
Mean most to menot that far away from what I posted and still excellent.

One Day Soon
16-08-2018, 01:37 PM
I love it. The video just tops it off for me. It's not until you've left Auld reekie, that you understand what you've missed. I'm glad I came home.

:agree:

Fife-Hibee
16-08-2018, 01:43 PM
Jeez.

They could have included an inside shot of my kitchen! :grr:

It's a soppy song and will obviously not be to everybody's tastes. But compared to the utter trash that makes the top 40 these days, this is lyrical genius by comparison.

grunt
16-08-2018, 02:58 PM
Wasn’t complaining, just an observation. Sorry it ruined your day.😜🤪Good response! My day has now been restored to its former glory. Just needs the game to go right tonight. :aok:

Tarrahib
16-08-2018, 03:54 PM
Agree mate. :agree:
If you can't post something positive .Why post at all .Get to a game.

cabbageandribs1875
16-08-2018, 04:12 PM
You are tedious, really tedious. You were on another thread the other day saying you found hibs fans strange. Why do you bother?

it's strange indeed why a couple of hibs fans feel the need to call a group led by a couple of hibs fans 'garbage' :bitchy: all they have to say is 'not my favourite genre of music' but nah, they feel a need to call them 'garbage', a 'garbage' group that has sell-outs all over the UK and abroad...yet they describe this group as 'garbage' couldn't make it up eh, it's almost like they are seeking a wee bit of attention :agree:

cleanyman
16-08-2018, 04:54 PM

Sorry to upset you old man

But I blame The Proclaimers for their miserable tunes. You need cheering up.

Try some Take That or clubbing classics from the 90s in the meantime

X

Moulin Yarns
16-08-2018, 05:05 PM
Sorry to upset you old man

But I blame The Proclaimers for their miserable tunes. You need cheering up.

Try some Take That or clubbing classics from the 90s in the meantime

X

You mean tunes like 500 Miles and I'm on my way. Aye they are truly miserable.

Moulin Yarns
16-08-2018, 05:06 PM

He can't help being from a family of Celtc supporters

cleanyman
16-08-2018, 05:08 PM
He can't help being from a family of Celtc supporters

You grass :wink:

Moulin Yarns
16-08-2018, 05:15 PM
You grass :wink:

How you doing these days?

cleanyman
16-08-2018, 05:17 PM
How you doing these days?

Not bad at all David. Can't complain. I'll send you a PM after the game. Its going to be a nervy one.

BullsCloseHibs
17-08-2018, 08:44 PM
The Proclaimers are bad.

Really bad.

You sad muppet.

Aldo
17-08-2018, 08:53 PM
Roll on November 17th. 6 of us going to see them. Tradition.

Album is cracking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moulin Yarns
17-08-2018, 09:02 PM
Can't stop watching the video. Trying to spot all the locations,in between the watery eyes 😭

HibeEC
17-08-2018, 11:07 PM
Great video, anyone know who the production company was? Really like the song but will we all be singing it at ER any time soon?

Pete
17-08-2018, 11:42 PM
Edinburgh is great at arms length. Wouldn’t move back for the world.

The only way you’ll ever be able to buy a flat near the centre of Edinburgh nowadays is if you’re quite well off or if you’ve got rich relatives.

From the center going outwards, the soul has been gradually ripped out the place. It’s nothing more than an interesting mish mash of transient youngsters.

Dashing Bob S
18-08-2018, 01:18 AM

The only way you’ll ever be able to buy a flat near the centre of Edinburgh nowadays is if you’re quite well off or if you’ve got rich relatives.

From the center going outwards, the soul has been gradually ripped out the place. It’s nothing more than an interesting mish mash of transient youngsters.

Where are you living currently?

Hi Heid Yin
18-08-2018, 01:28 AM

Hey, I'll have you know that this 60 year old "Oldie" lives in the city centre, just around the corner from the Uni and, yes, those "transient youngsters"

houstonhibbee
18-08-2018, 03:18 AM
I think it’s great ��
In fact I’d go as far to say it’s as good as SOL
dirge Ha!

houstonhibbee
18-08-2018, 03:21 AM
Hey, I'll have you know that this 60 year old "Oldie" lives in the city centre, just around the corner from the Uni and, yes, those "transient youngsters"

im 60 as well LL
out of interest what was your first hibs game and why?

BILLYHIBS
18-08-2018, 07:42 AM
I cannot understand how anyone can call The Proclaimers a folk group that gave Hibernian FC the greatest football anthem ever garbage!

This statement ranks up beside the posters that said Jamie Mac was gash and that we should punt Ryan Porteous out on loan.

These statements are what makes HIBS.net so compelling.

Out of interest to anyone that is interested I too am 60 and my first HIBS game was HIBS 1 v 1 Leeds United 1968 (fact)

:thumbsup:

southsider
18-08-2018, 08:19 AM
I cannot understand how anyone can call The Proclaimers a folk group that gave Hibernian FC the greatest football anthem ever garbage!

This statement ranks up beside the posters that said Jamie Mac was gash and that we should punt Ryan Porteous out on loan.

Out of interest to anyone that is interested I too am 60 and my first HIBS game was HIBS 1 v 1 Leeds United 1968 (fact)

60 next year Billy. New song is brilliant and the video too. First Hibs game was a 2-5 defeat to St. J on xmas eve 1965.

I'm_cabbaged
18-08-2018, 08:52 AM
Starter for 10. What’s the pub in the video?

Billy Whizz
18-08-2018, 08:53 AM
Starter for 10. What’s the pub in the video?

It’s somewhere on the thread

I'm_cabbaged
18-08-2018, 08:56 AM
It’s somewhere on the thread

Haha, never saw it, what a fanny 😂😂😂

Billy Whizz
18-08-2018, 09:03 AM
Haha, never saw it, what a fanny 😂😂😂

So what is it called, can’t be bothered looking back

I'm_cabbaged
18-08-2018, 09:08 AM
So what is it called, can’t be bothered looking back

Dagda on buccleuch street, used to be proctors.

RoYO!
18-08-2018, 09:20 AM

There’s quite simply nowhere in the British isles I’d rather live. But thanks for the input.

Eyrie
18-08-2018, 09:39 AM

It's a fair comment for those of us who don't enjoy their style of music.

I like the way that "SOL" has been co-opted by the fans as an anthem and I think it works well after a big win, but it's not something I would choose to listen to.

BILLYHIBS
18-08-2018, 10:19 AM
60 next year Billy. New song is brilliant and the video too. First Hibs game was a 2-5 defeat to St. J on xmas eve 1965.
You must be a die hard after that first result. I was born and brought up in Gorgie and was a Hearts supporter. My Dad was a Hibby who idolised the Famous Five. He took me to my first HIBS game and when I saw the teams running out and the green jerseys with white sleeves reflecting off the glare of the floodlights and the 40000 crowd that was me hooked. The game kicked off to a tremendous roar from the crowd the green and white jerseys swarmed around the Leeds eighteen yard box Colin Stein scored inside the first five minutes lobbing Gary Sprake from an acute angle to send the crowd into raptures squaring the tie on aggregate.Halceon days indeed! :wink:

Fife-Hibee
18-08-2018, 11:00 AM

I like the way that "SOL" has been co-opted by the fans as an anthem and I think it works well after a big win, but it's not something I would choose to listen to.

Not enjoying a certain style of music, doesn't make bands who play that style of music "garbage". A bit of objectivity goes a long way.

ahibby
18-08-2018, 11:23 AM
The lyrics are not conducive to it catching on imo. Its a sentimental song and will hit the spot for some. The melody is okay and the production is massive. I would like to hear it unplugged so that the song comes over more than the massive production. We r told to try and keep words and syllables natural in song writing but the boys dont always follow that guide. I like the melody the production and the sentiment but not so much the lyrics. Cap n hand, Marys fingertips and S O L, all have better lyrics imo. Its ok though.

G B Young
18-08-2018, 11:56 AM

What's brilliant about Sunshine on Leith is that as a football anthem it will forever remain unique to Hibs and has boosted the club's profile worldwide as a result. The vast majority of football songs are adopted or adapted by more than one club and in some cases they're sung by just about everyone. But Sunshine on Leith is different. It was always a great song but I doubt even the Proclaimers imagined it being sung by 20,000 Hibs fans on a regular basis. It's only when you hear it sung like that that you realise how well it works in that context and the fact that nobody else can ever sing it at a football match apart from Hibs fans makes it all the more special.

NAE NOOKIE
18-08-2018, 12:30 PM

There's an interesting piece in Bella Caledonia you should read mate. There's quite a bit to the theory that Edinburgh has pretty well become a sort of urban donut with the locals all living around the edges and the centre occupied by the extremely wealthy, hotels and tourists .. the rise of the 'air B & B being particularly detrimental. You could see it becoming like Monaco where everybody who works there lives across the border in France because they couldn't afford a cupboard in the principality itself, never mind a one bedroom flat for example.

I'm no luddite, I'm all for modern architecture if it enhances a city …. But over the last few decades IMO the council have allowed a few projects to go ahead in the city centre which should have had them stood against a wall and shot. Edinburgh is a world heritage site for a reason and for better or worse depending on your point of view the tourists flock to it for a reason. Its heritage and skyline should be protected at all costs and IMO the folk running it ( or should I say ruining it ) in the last few decades have IMO lost sight of that fact.

Anyway … as for the song I think its ok.

No matter what you think of it, nothing can ever top the Proclaimers allowing that utterly atrocious mangling of their best work that was the film 'Sunshine on Leith' … what the hell were they thinking :no way:

Hamish
18-08-2018, 05:35 PM

Not their best.

My sentiments exactly. Seen them a few times and they have always been excellent.

This may be a grower but ah hae ma doots.

pacoluna
18-08-2018, 06:28 PM

Full of rich transient youngsters? Only youngsters?

Try being young and trying to afford a mortgage in Edinburgh, bleeds you dry. A lost generation.

One Day Soon
18-08-2018, 06:52 PM

Quality bit of pish that.

The Harp Awakes
18-08-2018, 08:29 PM
What's brilliant about Sunshine on Leith is that as a football anthem it will forever remain unique to Hibs and has boosted the club's profile worldwide as a result. The vast majority of football songs are adopted or adapted by more than one club and in some cases they're sung by just about everyone. But Sunshine on Leith is different. It was always a great song but I doubt even the Proclaimers imagined it being sung by 20,000 Hibs fans on a regular basis. It's only when you hear it sung like that that you realise how well it works in that context and the fact that nobody else can ever sing it at a football match apart from Hibs fans makes it all the more special.

Agree with all of that. SOL is such a familiar song to Hibs fans I think we forget how good it is. It's a song which is known and loved worldwide now and synonymous with Hibs which has raised the Club's profile massively as you say.

The Streets of Edinburgh will also be a massive hit IMO. A very good song and cracking video. Going to the Playhouse and Dublin to see The Proclaimers later this year and can't wait. Will be great fun.

grunt
18-08-2018, 08:51 PM
No matter what you think of it, nothing can ever top the Proclaimers allowing that utterly atrocious mangling of their best work that was the film 'Sunshine on Leith' … what the hell were they thinking :no way:

I enjoyed the film.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RoxburghHibs
18-08-2018, 09:58 PM
Quality bit of pish that.

oldbutdim
18-08-2018, 10:08 PM
What a lovely song.

:agree: