PDA

View Full Version : The Toni Macaroni arena

NAE NOOKIE
15-08-2018, 01:57 AM
On the back of the discussion of how bad the FF looks on the telly and the thread on Molde's stadium which has a plastic pitch, did anybody see Livvi's gaff on ALBA or Sportscene.

What a freekin' car crash … there was more rubber on the bloody pitch than plastic grass, every time the ball bounced huge clouds of rubber pellets flew up like mini explosions and any player going to ground emerged covered in tiny rubber pellets like a negative image of the bloomin' galaxy … chuck in the fact that the ball didn't appear to me, or the Sportscene pundits, to be acting anything like the way it would on a real pitch and it was as good an advert as you will ever see as to why artificial pitches should be nowhere near top flight football.

Then there was the crowd …. All of Livingston's support can be ( and is ) housed in the main stand, which looked reasonably well populated and it looked like Killie had brought a half decent support ( for them ) giving a crowd of around 2,500. The trouble was that apart from the 900 or so Killie fans on the far side of the ground the place looked close to empty because the 1,600 or so Livvi fans were all behind the cameras.
The point being that with a little imagination it didn't have to … if Livvi can spend I presume something like half a million quid destroying their playing surface, why couldn't they have spent a few grand building a camera platform on top of the stand opposite the main stand … by doing that and housing away fans in one of the end stands they could at least give the impression that the ground is far fuller than it actually is.

It is notable that even though Hibs included a purpose built camera platform in the new East it is never used, I presume because the low sun that shines into the East for good bit of the season screws up the TV pictures. As a result we have sacrificed a good few seats in the main stand in order to have the cameras housed there. I would have thought that at least giving the impression that the good people of Livingston want to support their club would be as good a reason as any for Livvi to consider a similar move.

Apart from anything else, when the three non main stand stands are reasonably well filled when the big 5 come calling it would also make it look less like a bloomin' home game for those sides.

The Harp Awakes
15-08-2018, 05:27 AM
On the back of the discussion of how bad the FF looks on the telly and the thread on Molde's stadium which has a plastic pitch, did anybody see Livvi's gaff on ALBA or Sportscene.

What a freekin' car crash … there was more rubber on the bloody pitch than plastic grass, every time the ball bounced huge clouds of rubber pellets flew up like mini explosions and any player going to ground emerged covered in tiny rubber pellets like a negative image of the bloomin' galaxy … chuck in the fact that the ball didn't appear to me, or the Sportscene pundits, to be acting anything like the way it would on a real pitch and it was as good an advert as you will ever see as to why artificial pitches should be nowhere near top flight football.

Then there was the crowd …. All of Livingston's support can be ( and is ) housed in the main stand, which looked reasonably well populated and it looked like Killie had brought a half decent support ( for them ) giving a crowd of around 2,500. The trouble was that apart from the 900 or so Killie fans on the far side of the ground the place looked close to empty because the 1,600 or so Livvi fans were all behind the cameras.
The point being that with a little imagination it didn't have to … if Livvi can spend I presume something like half a million quid destroying their playing surface, why couldn't they have spent a few grand building a camera platform on top of the stand opposite the main stand … by doing that and housing away fans in one of the end stands they could at least give the impression that the ground is far fuller than it actually is.

It is notable that even though Hibs included a purpose built camera platform in the new East it is never used, I presume because the low sun that shines into the East for good bit of the season screws up the TV pictures. As a result we have sacrificed a good few seats in the main stand in order to have the cameras housed there. I would have thought that at least giving the impression that the good people of Livingston want to support their club would be as good a reason as any for Livvi to consider a similar move.

Apart from anything else, when the three non main stand stands are reasonably well filled when the big 5 come calling it would also make it look less like a bloomin' home game for those sides.

Why was their game abandoned last night?

Jamesie
15-08-2018, 05:35 AM
Why was their game abandoned last night?

https://twitter.com/LiviFCOfficial/status/1029475993231286273?s=20

Looks like they’re claiming a deliberate power outage...

SirDavidsNapper
15-08-2018, 05:36 AM
I despaired when Livingston were promoted. The epitome of a tinpot club.

tartanhibee
15-08-2018, 06:59 AM
The pitch looked worse than the pod I play 5s in on a Tuesday night. I’m not sure if it maybe takes a bit of time for it to settle but certainly looks worse than Kilmarnock or Hamilton. There is no place for plastic pitches in the top division. I also think it will hand Molde a massive advantage tomorrow night as pointed out in there home form.

delbert
15-08-2018, 07:24 AM
I despaired when Livingston were promoted. The epitome of a tinpot club.

Just completely canned their entire youth academy, binning four or five full teams of young players, plus their coaches !! Guess you have to pay for both of the player/managers wages somehow !!

The_Horde
15-08-2018, 07:41 AM
The pitch looked worse than the pod I play 5s in on a Tuesday night. I’m not sure if it maybe takes a bit of time for it to settle but certainly looks worse than Kilmarnock or Hamilton. There is no place for plastic pitches in the top division. I also think it will hand Molde a massive advantage tomorrow night as pointed out in there home form.

That's what they're all saying. Also apparently it was only completed last week so is entirely fresh and the club forgot (?) To water the pitch, so the pellets weren't weighed down.

Hibs Class
15-08-2018, 07:48 AM

At ER the main cameras are at the back of the west, but live matches also have a camera at the back of the east - pretty sure it's also far enough back that the sun isn't an issue

greenpaper55
15-08-2018, 07:57 AM
When i watched the "highlights" i thought it was water that was spraying up when the players kicked the ball but it was rubber pellets ! there was a close up of one player who had made contact with the surface and his face was plastered in rubber. this just looks a farce and how the SPL can sanction this is a mystery, every game played there will be a lottery.

IWasThere2016
15-08-2018, 08:00 AM
Livi are a joke. Sadly, the SPL is just as bad also.

Famous Fiver
15-08-2018, 08:05 AM
Is there not an issue about the composition of the 'pellets'?

I am sure I have read that there is a link to cancer and these type of pitches have been banned in the USA.

Any knowledgeable folk on here can perhaps elaborate.

jodjam
15-08-2018, 08:07 AM
Was there not some sort of cancer link with these rubber pellets. Sure I watched something on it where keepers at youth level were showing higher cancer rates than normal.

Frazerbob
15-08-2018, 08:26 AM
I hope their stay in the top division is over by May. Pretend football club.

The_Horde
15-08-2018, 08:30 AM
Was there not some sort of cancer link with these rubber pellets. Sure I watched something on it where keepers at youth level were showing higher cancer rates than normal.

Pretty sure that was to do with the old style crumb rubber 3g.

cabbageandribs1875
15-08-2018, 08:46 AM
Just completely canned their entire youth academy, binning four or five full teams of young players, plus their coaches !! Guess you have to pay for both of the player/managers wages somehow !!

along with Falkirk last season, and Clyde, Dumbarton this season with other clubs quite likely to follow suit, it's a pity because the Livi youths gave scottish football robert snodgrass, Dorrans and Leigh Griffiths

seanshow
15-08-2018, 08:51 AM
Is there not an issue about the composition of the 'pellets'?

I am sure I have read that there is a link to cancer and these type of pitches have been banned in the USA.

Any knowledgeable folk on here can perhaps elaborate.

A couple of years ago there was a chap on radio scotland trying to create awareness of that very problem, his son who was a young goalkeeper had developed a rare cancer in his leg and he was close to 100% convinced it was due to diving about picking up abrasions from the astro turf pellets.

Apparently if the pellet manufacturers cut corners and and don't use total rubber, they can add in other cheaper material to bulk up the product.
.....( a bit like a dodgy drug dealer you never know what's in there)

O'Rourke3
15-08-2018, 09:08 AM

They ditched their youth teams because they were placed in the lowest tier of academy as part of Project Brave. Their chances of bringing elite players through to their team went to zero as bigger clubs would attract the players they attact now because the success of their set up.

This is the second thread inside a week complaining about another clubs size and/or fan base which I repeat seems more like a Hearts thing than Hibs. There's a club out there with a small but growing loyal group of fans trying their best to compete where those fans drawn from a huge in built Celtic Rangers bias(Hibs Hearts notwithstanding). That club has had problems in the past with some very shady owners but it working it's way back. Clubs like Hamilton and Livingston earn what they get regardless of facilities. We had our own debate around the new East and whether it would ever be filled. I'm sure hte new owners there would like to get there too.

Jamesie
15-08-2018, 10:33 AM
All eyes will be on Willie Collum on Saturday to see if he deems the surface playable for their match with Motherwell - no doubt he will be under some pressure to give it a good going over before the game.

Just FYI we have Kevin Clancy as the man in the middle for the Ross County game.

The_Horde
15-08-2018, 10:41 AM
A couple of years ago there was a chap on radio scotland trying to create awareness of that very problem, his son who was a young goalkeeper had developed a rare cancer in his leg and he was close to 100% convinced it was due to diving about picking up abrasions from the astro turf pellets.

Apparently if the pellet manufacturers cut corners and and don't use total rubber, they can add in other cheaper material to bulk up the product.
.....( a bit like a dodgy drug dealer you never know what's in there)

Depends how the crumbs are made. Recycled tires were common place, those contain toxic chemicals like mercury.

Centre Hawf
15-08-2018, 10:42 AM
Played on countless variations of plastic pitches over the years and don’t mind them at all. I’ve played on far worse grass pitches in my time.

JimBHibees
15-08-2018, 10:42 AM
All eyes will be on Willie Collum on Saturday to see if he deems the surface playable for their match with Motherwell - no doubt he will be under some pressure to give it a good going over before the game.

Just FYI we have Kevin Clancy as the man in the middle for the Ross County game.

Neil better be on best behaviour then

The_Horde
15-08-2018, 10:44 AM
Neil better be on best behaviour then

Is he back in the dugout?

JimBHibees
15-08-2018, 10:45 AM
Is he back in the dugout?

He was for Saints game

Billy Whizz
15-08-2018, 10:46 AM
He was for Saints game

He wasn’t

JimBHibees
15-08-2018, 10:47 AM
He wasn’t

Apologies wasnt there thought I heard him being interviewed on radio mentioning he was. Maybe a good thing if he still isnt with Clancy in charge

Jamesie
15-08-2018, 10:55 AM
Apologies wasnt there thought I heard him being interviewed on radio mentioning he was. Maybe a good thing if he still isnt with Clancy in charge

Press reports at the time suggested the ban was for our first three league games - not sure if it would also apply to the League Cup though? If not then NL is in the dugout on Sunday!

Billy Whizz
15-08-2018, 10:57 AM

He got 3 games, so should be back in the dugout for the Aberdeen game

Baader
15-08-2018, 11:43 AM
Everything about Livi football club is an embarrassment. They bring absolutely nothing to the top flight in Scotland.

cleanyman
15-08-2018, 11:49 AM
Everything about Livi football club is an embarrassment. They bring absolutely nothing to the top flight in Scotland.

Same for Hamilton then?

What about St.Johnstone?

madabouthibs
15-08-2018, 01:37 PM
Don't see the hate towards Livi tbh, decent stadium compared to all the other "smaller" clubs, fairly easy to get to by train, bus or car, decent boozers nearby, promoted twice in arrow and won a major trophy in the last 15 years....
Oh....... Maybe hit the nail on the head there..... 😁

Sean1875
15-08-2018, 01:40 PM
Any idea how many tickets will be made available to us when we play them in a few weeks? I imagine there could be a fairly sizable away crowd that day!

patch1875
15-08-2018, 01:41 PM
Not been for a while but the hospitality was always excellent.

Billy Whizz
15-08-2018, 01:43 PM
Any idea how many tickets will be made available to us when we play them in a few weeks? I imagine there could be a fairly sizable away crowd that day!

Probably 3 stands if we want them

KWJ
15-08-2018, 01:44 PM
They ditched their youth teams because they were placed in the lowest tier of academy as part of Project Brave. Their chances of bringing elite players through to their team went to zero as bigger clubs would attract the players they attact now because the success of their set up.

This is the second thread inside a week complaining about another clubs size and/or fan base which I repeat seems more like a Hearts thing than Hibs. There's a club out there with a small but growing loyal group of fans trying their best to compete where those fans drawn from a huge in built Celtic Rangers bias(Hibs Hearts notwithstanding). That club has had problems in the past with some very shady owners but it working it's way back. Clubs like Hamilton and Livingston earn what they get regardless of facilities. We had our own debate around the new East and whether it would ever be filled. I'm sure hte new owners there would like to get there too.

Fair point well made.

Keith_M
15-08-2018, 01:45 PM
At ER the main cameras are at the back of the west, but live matches also have a camera at the back of the east - pretty sure it's also far enough back that the sun isn't an issue

There's actually three camera platforms in the East, one large one in the centre and one near each end.

I can't remember the last time I saw any cameras in them, so they now seem a bit pointless.

---------------

As for Livi, I quite enjoy going there.

OK, so they've got a small fan base, but their promotion was based on winning games, not the number of fans. I agree with those that think this criticism of the size of the club and support is very 'Big Team'. It's really none of our business

NAE NOOKIE
15-08-2018, 02:04 PM

If you check my OP this was not an attack on the size of Livingston as a club or their right to play in the top division, you earn that on the pitch which they have done and that's the be all and end all for me. If its an issue for 'bigger' clubs then they know what they have to do.

What it was very much an attack on was their artificial pitch and the positioning of their TV cameras. As anybody who follows this forum regularly will know I am pretty well anally retentive when it comes to the image our game projects to the outside world, I think its something we give far too little thought to and as a result gives way too much ammunition to the sods out there who love to belittle our league as amateurish and 'small time'

It annoys the life out of me to see yet another club in this league with a pitch which should belong to a lowland league 'community' club, not a top flight professional outfit, and TV cameras perfectly positioned to have as little of the crowd as possible visible to the TV audience.

If folk think stuff like that isn't important tell it to the companies who between them make billions of pounds annually by helping businesses all over the world improve their image and project themselves in the best possible light to potential customers. What we are doing in the Scottish premiership is like Volkswagen making an advert for one of their sports cars and showing it driving through the streets of Glasgow's worst slum area with a long list of the possible things that can go wrong with it running along the bottom of the screen.

ChooseLife
15-08-2018, 02:34 PM
Livi are a joke. Sadly, the SPL is just as bad also.

I think the SPL is brilliant at the moment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45037847

O'Rourke3
15-08-2018, 03:05 PM
If you check my OP this was not an attack on the size of Livingston as a club or their right to play in the top division, you earn that on the pitch which they have done and that's the be all and end all for me. If its an issue for 'bigger' clubs then they know what they have to do.

What it was very much an attack on was their artificial pitch and the positioning of their TV cameras. As anybody who follows this forum regularly will know I am pretty well anally retentive when it comes to the image our game projects to the outside world, I think its something we give far too little thought to and as a result gives way too much ammunition to the sods out there who love to belittle our league as amateurish and 'small time'

It annoys the life out of me to see yet another club in this league with a pitch which should belong to a lowland league 'community' club, not a top flight professional outfit, and TV cameras perfectly positioned to have as little of the crowd as possible visible to the TV audience.

If folk think stuff like that isn't important tell it to the companies who between them make billions of pounds annually by helping businesses all over the world improve their image and project themselves in the best possible light to potential customers. What we are doing in the Scottish premiership is like Volkswagen making an advert for one of their sports cars and showing it driving through the streets of Glasgow's worst slum area with a long list of the possible things that can go wrong with it running along the bottom of the screen.

NN wasn't intending having a go at your post - although it probably ended up a bit like it..... I agree with the state of their pitch having now watched Sportscene. I'm not a fan of top level clubs using them but while they are allowed and it's a way of saving money for the smaller teams we are stuck with them.
Nothing you can do with the TV position given they had to build 10000 seats way back in order to play in the top league. There's no angle in that stadium that won't make a Livingston Kille game looks like the crowd stumbled on it and were there to rubberneck. I also agree the SPFL could help invest more in ensureing bigger crowrds therefor better atmospheres to attract better TV money, but the clubs that had to put up and suck it up would complain they never got that help. Incentives for ensuring that spare/warm up goals were not visible pitchside would help to describe a better level of professionalism from our leagues. Then you get both teams, managers and coaches having to cross the pitch before kick off at Tynecastle...

Viva_Palmeiras
15-08-2018, 03:26 PM
If they want to be taken seriously then ditch that ridiculous stadium name. :)

Yours
Ivor Biggun

brianmc
15-08-2018, 04:50 PM
If they want to be taken seriously then ditch that ridiculous stadium name. :)

Yours
Ivor Biggun

Dear Mr Biggun,
I feel I have to point out to you (a) The current name of Livingston FC's stadium is not even in the top 3 of worst named grounds in Scottish football. And (b) the restaurant involved serves jolly tasty food.

Regards,
T. Macaroni

Scotty Leither
15-08-2018, 05:12 PM
Don't see the hate towards Livi tbh, decent stadium compared to all the other "smaller" clubs, fairly easy to get to by train, bus or car, decent boozers nearby, promoted twice in arrow and won a major trophy in the last 15 years....
Oh....... Maybe hit the nail on the head there..... 😁

They went into administration IIRC 3-4 days after they beat us in the 2004 LC final. They were paying Stuart Lovell for instance, £3k per week on gates of 1500. Whenever we go there there's always an issue with admission to the game due to hardly any staff being on duty.

If teams want to play in the top league they should meet certain criteria re finances/pitch quality/safety of supporters etc. Livingston have been serial offenders down the years yet our authorities seem to indulge them and other clubs.

Hence the justified stick that comes their way.

Jamesie
15-08-2018, 06:26 PM
They went into administration IIRC 3-4 days after they beat us in the 2004 LC final. They were paying Stuart Lovell for instance, £3k per week on gates of 1500. Whenever we go there there's always an issue with admission to the game due to hardly any staff being on duty.

If teams want to play in the top league they should meet certain criteria re finances/pitch quality/safety of supporters etc. Livingston have been serial offenders down the years yet our authorities seem to indulge them and other clubs.

Hence the justified stick that comes their way.

It was actually a couple of months before the LC Final, although they still had a few of their higher earners on the books by the time the final came around.

iwasthere1972
15-08-2018, 07:03 PM
Watched the highlights of their game at the weekend and that's got to be on of the worst plastic pitches I've seen. Up until Sunday the pitch at Hamilton was my number one in the worst pitches in the UK but that's now dropped to second. Can't believe that Livingston are allowed in the top league with a playing surface that bad.

Baader
15-08-2018, 07:06 PM
Same for Hamilton then?

What about St.Johnstone?

Not fussed for either. They do more than double Livi's average crowd though. To be fair to Saints they've been top flight for ten years and won the Scottish Cup in that time. Livi offer nothing and have a bad history of living well beyond their means.

Keith_M
15-08-2018, 07:47 PM
Dear Mr Biggun,
I feel I have to point out to you (a) The current name of Livingston FC's stadium is not even in the top 3 of worst named grounds in Scottish football. And (b) the restaurant involved serves jolly tasty food.

Regards,
T. Macaroni

What would be your top three, Tony?

Keith_M
15-08-2018, 07:48 PM
Not fussed for either. They do more than double Livi's average crowd though. To be fair to Saints they've been top flight for ten years and won the Scottish Cup in that time. Livi offer nothing and have a bad history of living well beyond their means.

Actually, Livi won the League Cup.

Can't remember who they beat in the final, tho...

calumhibee1
15-08-2018, 07:59 PM
Played on countless variations of plastic pitches over the years and don’t mind them at all. I’ve played on far worse grass pitches in my time.

At amateur level it’s 10 times more enjoyable playing on plastic pitches because the grass pitches are atrocious. Playing at places like Saughton and the Gyle actually pretty much sucked any fun out of amateur football for me. A great grass pitch however is better than the plastic.

brianmc
15-08-2018, 08:06 PM
What would be your top three, Tony?

In third place... Hamilton Accies Hope CBD Stadium

In second... East Fife at the Locality Hub Bayview Stadium

And in first place...(as we all know it was previously called the C&G Systems Stadium, but now called) Your Radio 103FM Stadium it's...
Dumbarton FC.

*There are others!

Keith_M
15-08-2018, 08:43 PM

And in first place...(as we all know it was previously called the C&G Systems Stadium, but now called) Your Radio 103FM Stadium it's...
Dumbarton FC.

*There are others!

Tynie Castle?

hfc rd
15-08-2018, 09:01 PM

Dumbarton FC.

*There are others!

Cowdenbeath’s needs to be up there as well. An embarrassing bomb site of a place.

Scotty Leither
15-08-2018, 10:12 PM
It was actually a couple of months before the LC Final, although they still had a few of their higher earners on the books by the time the final came around.

Yes you're right, my bad - admin 3rd February 2004, beat us in final 14th March 2004. Like I said, indulged by the authorities to retain the likes of Lovell and Fernandez from Celtic on high wages despite stiffening everybody e!se for money and allowed to still compete with these players in their squad.

Not my favourite team/club and deserving of the epithet "franchise FC" .

HappyAsHellas
15-08-2018, 10:35 PM
I always thought nothing could look worse than Alloa's B & Q budget special but Livvy's looks like something from a fishmongers window. As has been mentioned, utterly detrimental to the image of our game and should never be allowed in the top flight.

Turkish Green
15-08-2018, 11:36 PM
Livingston developed a decent youth set-up under Gary Bollan and Brian Welsh winning the SFL U17s and U19s leagues, however they left in 2012 to be replaced by Yogi and Collins and the youth set-up was abandonned.

Turkish Green
16-08-2018, 12:04 AM
Watched Cliftonville vs Colraine on The Irish League Show. The artificial pitch at Solitude was spraying rubber all over the place. It did not look like much of an even bounce.

Viva_Palmeiras
16-08-2018, 05:43 AM
Livingston developed a decent youth set-up under Gary Bollan and Brian Welsh winning the SFL U17s and U19s leagues, however they left in 2012 to be replaced by Yogi and Collins and the youth set-up was abandonned.

Was it not reported just recently (ie the last couple of weeks) that Livi has taken the regrettable step to abandon the youth setup to concentrate on staying in Premiership football? Surprised if Yogi and Collins instigated dismantling a yoof system...!

Viva_Palmeiras
16-08-2018, 05:46 AM

Dumbarton FC.

*There are others!

It’s the fictional names that get me - I mean who’s called Macaroni?!

Best rgds,
Dick Van Dyke

brianmc
16-08-2018, 06:24 AM
It’s the fictional names that get me - I mean who’s called Macaroni?!

Best rgds,
Dick Van Dyke

👏

AndyM_1875
16-08-2018, 07:29 AM
Cowdenbeath’s needs to be up there as well. An embarrassing bomb site of a place.

They don't own Central Park any more.
And that club is in real difficulty.