PDA

View Full Version : Ryder Cup 2018

theonlywayisup
14-08-2018, 06:31 AM
Not long to go before the teams are confirmed.

The US team have 8 of the 12 team members confirmed:

Bruce Koepka
Dustin Johnson
Justin Thomas
Patrick Reed
Jordan Spieth
Rickie Fowler
Bubba Watson
Webb Simpson

Pretty strong already with an in-form Tiger Woods to be added.

The Europe team looks like the following (based on the current Europe and World lists):

Molinari
Rose
Hatton
Fleetwood
Rahm
McIlroy
Noren
Poulter

Both teams have four Captains picks. For Europe, you would expect to see four from Casey, Olsen, Garcia, Cabrera Bello and Pieters being considered

Future17
14-08-2018, 08:25 AM

Bruce Koepka
Dustin Johnson
Justin Thomas
Patrick Reed
Jordan Spieth
Rickie Fowler
Bubba Watson
Webb Simpson

The Europe team looks like the following (based on the current Europe and World lists):

Molinari
Rose
Hatton
Fleetwood
Rahm
McIlroy
Noren
Poulter

Both teams have four Captains picks. For Europe, you would expect to see four from Casey, Olsen, Garcia, Cabrera Bello and Pieters being considered

Your post is the first time I've realised Tyrrell Hatton isn't American, despite having a name that would instantly qualify him for citizenship.

Golden Bear
14-08-2018, 03:50 PM

Bruce Koepka
Dustin Johnson
Justin Thomas
Patrick Reed
Jordan Spieth
Rickie Fowler
Bubba Watson
Webb Simpson

Molinari
Rose
Hatton
Fleetwood
Rahm
McIlroy
Noren
Poulter

Russell Knox will surely be considered as a Captain's pick, especially when he won the French Open over the same course that is going to stage the Ryder Cup. He should have been picked for the last Ryder Cup but was overlooked in favour of Lee Westwood who just happens to be Darren Clarke's buddy. Pieters form in particular has been poor this season albeit he performed well in the USPGA championship. Almost the same can be said for Cabrera Bello.

It's all to play for!

theonlywayisup
14-08-2018, 07:30 PM
Russell Knox will surely be considered as a Captain's pick, especially when he won the French Open over the same course that is going to stage the Ryder Cup. He should have been picked for the last Ryder Cup but was overlooked in favour of Lee Westwood who just happens to be Darren Clarke's buddy. Pieters form in particular has been poor this season albeit he performed well in the USPGA championship. Almost the same can be said for Cabrera Bello.

It's all to play for!

You're probably right - hadn't realised he won the French Open on the same course. I think that Casey, Olsen & Garcia are certain to be picked. Then it's one from the three mentioned Pieters, Cabrera Bello and Knox.

Tornadoes70
14-08-2018, 07:40 PM
You're probably right - hadn't realised he won the French Open on the same course. I think that Casey, Olsen & Garcia are certain to be picked. Then it's one from the three mentioned Pieters, Cabrera Bello and Knox.

Eddie Pepperell and Andy Sullivan have been pretty solid on the tour and would be better picks than Casey despite winning one earlier in the year and Garcia who've both been fairly out of sorts recently. However, Casey and Garcia will probably be in because of their experience and profiles.

Olesen, Knox and Cabrera-Bello should be in the frame too.

JimboHibs
20-08-2018, 10:31 PM

Have you deliberately left out Henrik Stenson in favour of the golfers above ?

Carheenlea
21-08-2018, 08:48 AM
Have you deliberately left out Henrik Stenson in favour of the golfers above ?

Stenson has been struggling with an elbow injury and had withdrawn from this weeks tournament. He could be toiling to make the team. Would be a shame, as his partnership with Rose has been a fruitful one.

Smartie
21-08-2018, 11:19 AM
Do people feel patriotic about wanting Europe to win this?

I watch the American golf on Sunday nights a lot more than I watch European golf during the day, and I probably like the American players more than I like the Europeans as a result.

JimboHibs
21-08-2018, 11:33 AM
Stenson has been struggling with an elbow injury and had withdrawn from this weeks tournament. He could be toiling to make the team. Would be a shame, as his partnership with Rose has been a fruitful one.

Yeah still think he'll make the team he could have played though wants to rest and recuperate.Huge loss if he doesn't make it.

murray26
21-08-2018, 05:18 PM

I watch the American golf on Sunday nights a lot more than I watch European golf during the day, and I probably like the American players more than I like the Europeans as a result.

To be honest I’m no bothered who wins.. don’t get me wrong it’s compulsive viewing and I’ll be glued to it but to answer your question no I don’t feel patriotic to anyone except Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

IGRIGI
24-08-2018, 08:11 PM
We got told to vote no to independence because Chris Hoy waved the union flag so I look forward to the remoanets telling us why English golfers waving the EU flag is a reason to stay in the EU.

Godsahibby
28-08-2018, 12:20 PM

Don't know if patriotic is the word for me but yeah I still want Europe to win. Partly because I am European but a lot also to do with how a lot of the American fans and pundits think golf over here is so poor. Nearly every Rider cup built up to be the favourites and love seeing them be beaten.

Godsahibby
28-08-2018, 12:22 PM
Does anyone know what time the morning groups are expected out on the Friday?

3pm
28-08-2018, 12:36 PM
Does anyone know what time the morning groups are expected out on the Friday?

7.10 I believe. I thought it was going to be 6.30 but one of the boys at works has tickets.

Sky are advertising the programme as starting at 6.30 as well so 7.10 seems right.

frazeHFC
01-09-2018, 09:03 AM
The American fans piss me off so much that it makes me patriotic for Europe in the Ryder Cup. It's a brilliant few days, looking forward to it.

hfc rd
01-09-2018, 08:30 PM
The American fans piss me off so much that it makes me patriotic for Europe in the Ryder Cup. It's a brilliant few days, looking forward to it.

Exact same reason why I am wanting Europe to win. I don’t really pay attention to golf at all as just find it boring but the Ryder Cup is a brilliant tournament. Very enjoyable few days

Golden Bear
02-09-2018, 06:51 PM
Matt Wallace as a pick? He didn't do himself any harm today at the Danish Open that's for sure. He played brilliantly when under the spotlight and I'm sure the watching Ryder Cup captain would have been suitably impressed.

theonlywayisup
02-09-2018, 07:49 PM
Dane Thorbjorn Olesen secured the final automatic qualification spot in the European team for the Ryder Cup joining Francesco Molinari, Justin Rose, Tyrrell Hatton, Rory McIlroy, Tommy Fleetwood, Jon Rahm and Alex Noren had already qualified.

Pretty strong eight to be added to by four captain picks.

Godsahibby
04-09-2018, 06:25 PM
Watching the Miracle At Medinah highlights again. What a nice of golf that was!!

Smartie
04-09-2018, 06:59 PM
Matt Wallace as a pick? He didn't do himself any harm today at the Danish Open that's for sure. He played brilliantly when under the spotlight and I'm sure the watching Ryder Cup captain would have been suitably impressed.

He's played some good stuff over the past few weeks (I backed him at the weekend and got him at some pretty decent odds).

There are a few rookies who have qualified automatically though, so Bjorn may go for "tried and tested" from his own picks.

"Tried and tested" haven't done as well as "form" in recent events though, so I'd be picking him, and I have a hunch Bjorn will go with what he saw with his own eyes.

Pretty good odds on Wallace being picked on Paddypower, certainly compared to the likes of Casey (who seemingly doesn't get on all that well with other players).

theonlywayisup
04-09-2018, 09:41 PM
Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson and Bryson DeChambeau have been chosen as wildcard picks for the United States team to face Europe in this month's Ryder Cup.

One more pick to come.

McSwanky
05-09-2018, 01:38 PM
Poulter, Garcia, Stenson and Casey get the nod for the European picks. I guess Thomas Bjorn is putting a lot of faith in experience.

Future17
05-09-2018, 01:39 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/45408328

Casey, Garcia, Poulter and Stenson.

theonlywayisup
05-09-2018, 02:00 PM
Poulter, Garcia, Stenson and Casey get the nod for the European picks. I guess Thomas Bjorn is putting a lot of faith in experience.

Happy with that. I think he had to go with experience given that we're playing probably the strongest American team for a few matches. Had we gone with loads of rookies then I would fear a big beating. With this more experienced team, I think the old juices will start to flow in the older players.

Smartie
05-09-2018, 04:35 PM
Bjorn has picked his pals.

They're not bad picks, Garcia has no form to speak of but the other 3 have all played well at times this year.

The automatic picks were rookie heavy so it's not a surprise, or an unreasonable thing to do.

I think the USA are nailed on to win now though.

Golden Bear
05-09-2018, 05:48 PM
Personally I think he's picked his mates, similar to the thinking employed by Clarke when he picked Westwood.
Experience counts for absolutely zero if you're playing crap golf. On top of that Stenson's fitness must be a concern. It should have been Cabrero Bello and Wallace in my opinion.

Tobias Funke
05-09-2018, 06:34 PM
Happy with all the wildcards bar Garcia, four missed cuts in majors this year and struggled on PGA tour. Wallace would have been a gamble but I’d have taken him. The guy has had a great season. Stenson early season form was great, not so much now.

LALthehibeeGAL
05-09-2018, 07:33 PM
Happy with that. I think he had to go with experience given that we're playing probably the strongest American team for a few matches. Had we gone with loads of rookies then I would fear a big beating. With this more experienced team, I think the old juices will start to flow in the older players.
[QUOTE=Smartiea;5543687]Bjorn has picked his pals.

They're not bad picks, Garcia has no form to speak of but the other 3 have all played well at times this year.

The automatic picks were rookie heavy so it's not a surprise, or an unreasonable thing to do.

I think it is the right choice as you guys rightly say the auto selection is rookie heavy - and although Garcia has had an unusually bad season he oozes Ryder Cup experience and seems to manage to up his game I hope he does, he will be a good partner for one of the rookies same with Poulter who I can't stand really but think, bar Gleneagles, he is usually well up for this and again could be a good partner for the newbies - when he was picked for Medinah and many thought he wasn't up for it well that seemed to egg him on to prove his pick lets hope it's the same. Wallace, Knox, Peiters, Cabrero Bello are better individually and it is a tough decision but I think it is the right one and really hope they do what they do best when in the "Team Europe" mode and prove all the doubters wrong.

I love the Ryder Cup and one day hope to attend but alas nae dosh so it's the tv for me again this year.

Lal:wink:

frazeHFC
05-09-2018, 07:57 PM
Garcia has had a pretty stinking year, didn't deserve a spot in my opinion.

greenlex
05-09-2018, 09:01 PM
Personally I think he's picked his mates, similar to the thinking employed by Clarke when he picked Westwood.
Experience counts for absolutely zero if you're playing crap golf. On top of that Stenson's fitness must be a concern. It should have been Cabrero Bello and Wallace in my opinion.
Actually outrageous Wallace is not in that side. Too much being made of the rookie situation from already qualified perspective. It’s a world tour these days and they have competed with the best players and obviously done well to be automatic picks. Stenson I get as he’s back playing. Can’t leave Poulter out as he’s been competitive this year too and us mr Ryder cup. Casey has been consistently up there most weeks. Garcia should be nowhere near it.

Golden Bear
06-09-2018, 06:50 AM
Actually outrageous Wallace is not in that side. Too much being made of the rookie situation from already qualified perspective. It’s a world tour these days and they have competed with the best players and obviously done well to be automatic picks. Stenson I get as he’s back playing. Can’t leave Poulter out as he’s been competitive this year too and us mr Ryder cup. Casey has been consistently up there most weeks. Garcia should be nowhere near it.

I've no problems with the selection of Casey & Poulter but more than a tad disappointed with Stenson & Garcia.

However I'm already looking forward to the end of the month - and glad the Saturday doesn't clash with a Hibs home game!

WeeRussell
07-09-2018, 12:03 PM

Nope - in fact I was all ready to back USA this year until Garcia got picked :greengrin

Cannot stand Hatton and will not be cheering him on under any circumstances.

theonlywayisup
13-09-2018, 06:32 AM
I see that Tony Finau has been given the final pick.

It looks a very strong US Ryder Cup team. However, when you look at World Rankings, ours is not that far behind. Much closer that we've had in previous years and we still won it with what looked like weaker players.

The World Rankings of the European Team is:

Justin Rose (1)
Francesco Molinari (5)
Rory McIlroy (6)
Jon Rahm (7)
Tommy Fleetwood (12)
Alex Noren (16)
Paul Casey (19)
Henrik Stenson (23)
Tyrrell Hatton (26)
Sergio Garcia (29)
Ian Poulter (34)
Thorbjorn Olesen (44)

Whilst that of the US team is:

Dustin Johnson (2)
Brooks Koepka (3)
Justin Thomas (4)
Bryson DeChambeau (8)
Rickie Fowler (9)
Jordan Spieth (10)
Bubba Watson (13)
Patrick Reed (14)
Tony Finau (15)
Webb Simpson (17)
Tiger Woods (21)
Phil Mickelson (25)

We've got four players with a lower World Ranking that the US lowest. However, as I noted before this has always been the case, and Europe has still won it. In fact. I was a bit surprised to see that our lowest ranking is an upwardly mobile Olesen at 44.

Also interesting to note that the only European golfers who have a lower World Ranking than Olesen to miss out is Rafa Cabrera Bello at 30 and Matthew Fitzpatrick at 38.

frazeHFC
13-09-2018, 07:19 AM
Really looking forward to this. A shame it's not an International weekend as will miss all of the Saturday play going through to Paisley.

Smartie
13-09-2018, 09:29 AM
Nope - in fact I was all ready to back USA this year until Garcia got picked :greengrin

Cannot stand Hatton and will not be cheering him on under any circumstances.

I can't stand Hatton either, and I'm not a big fan of Justin Rose.

It's not an English thing, as my two favourite golfers currently are Eddie Pepperell and Matt Wallace. Pepperell especially is a really likeable player and I wish the two of them had been picked.

For some strange reason I loved Barry Lane when I was wee. I think it's because he gave me a golf ball at the Scottish Open at Gleneagles and was also a really pleasant guy to meet.

WeeRussell
13-09-2018, 11:55 AM
I can't stand Hatton either, and I'm not a big fan of Justin Rose.

It's not an English thing, as my two favourite golfers currently are Eddie Pepperell and Matt Wallace. Pepperell especially is a really likeable player and I wish the two of them had been picked.

For some strange reason I loved Barry Lane when I was wee. I think it's because he gave me a golf ball at the Scottish Open at Gleneagles and was also a really pleasant guy to meet.

Nor for me (English thing) as I actually don't mind Rose at all. I've never taken such a quick and strong dislike to a player as much as Hatton however!

Never used to like Poulter either but I guess I've kind of warmed to him a little. Tommy Fleetwood is a golfer I've plenty of time for, seems to be the real deal as well as a really likeable guy.

Golden Bear
13-09-2018, 05:43 PM
Nor for me (English thing) as I actually don't mind Rose at all. I've never taken such a quick and strong dislike to a player as much as Hatton however!

Never used to like Poulter either but I guess I've kind of warmed to him a little. Tommy Fleetwood is a golfer I've plenty of time for, seems to be the real deal as well as a really likeable guy.

It's all about the team and less about the individual players but I agree with what you've said. Justin Rose in particular seems a classy pro and I'm delighted he's reached the heady heights of world number 1.

blackpoolhibs
14-09-2018, 07:46 AM
Obviously i want us to win, and we do have some great players in our team, but i really fear we could get pumped this time.

The yanks are all playing well, and most of them seem to be up there in every tournament these days. I suppose playing in Europe will be a slight advantage, but i'm looking at their team and i just see a much stronger in form team.

Although, with it being a team game you never know, but i'd like us to be a few points up going into the singles.

WeeRussell
19-09-2018, 08:12 AM
It's all about the team and less about the individual players but I agree with what you've said. Justin Rose in particular seems a classy pro and I'm delighted he's reached the heady heights of world number 1.

Yeah you’re right but getting passionate about Europe against America is just something I’ve never got into, for all I enjoy the tournament. I’ve just only really ever backed golfers as individuals.

And now I’ve got money on USA so no question where my support lies next weekend :)

theonlywayisup
22-09-2018, 07:34 AM
Less than a week to go, but all eyes on the Fedex. Not sure that it's ideal preparation for the first Ryder Cup. Eleven Americans playing, but many well off the pace and it's going to be a long weekend for them.

DeChambeau is having a nightmare. Koepka is last and Reed, Mickelson and Bubba also well down the leaderboard.

I'm starting to feel more confident about the Ryder Cup.

Smartie
22-09-2018, 08:15 AM
I was watching some of the Portugal Masters yesterday, and I still cannot believe that Bjorn would take Garcia ahead of Pepperell and Wallace who have played some great stuff so far.

Some of the European players (especially theEnglishmen) are doing well over in the USA though, and as you say some of the Americans look out of sorts. Tiger has been impressive again though. It would be a big statement if he managed to put 4 rounds together this week.

Hopefully this will improve the odds on the Americans who I plan to lump on this week.

theonlywayisup
22-09-2018, 08:35 PM
Tiger six under after seven holes. He's on fire today.

Smartie
22-09-2018, 10:32 PM
Tiger six under after seven holes. He's on fire today.

He looked a bit tired over the last 4 or 5 holes, but that was still an immense round of golf.

theonlywayisup
24-09-2018, 04:16 PM
Less than four days to go now to the action starting. What's everyone's views on who's going to win it.

A few weeks ago, I thought an easy USA win. Now I feel Europe will sneak it. It's going to be close. It's going to be fun.

Can't wait.

southfieldhibby
25-09-2018, 08:00 AM
Close Friday/Saturday, America stretching away to win in the singles.

I predict Tiger/Reed first out for USA on Friday. Probably versus Rose/Stenson

theonlywayisup
25-09-2018, 03:49 PM
Close Friday/Saturday, America stretching away to win in the singles.

I predict Tiger/Reed first out for USA on Friday. Probably versus Rose/Stenson

That's a pretty good call re Rose & Stenson.

I was thinking Speith and Reed, though Speith and Thomas are supposed to be great friends.

Not sure who I would pick with Woods; maybe Reed would be the right partner for him.

Looking at the US team, I think the pairings will be:

Dustin Johnson
Brooks Koepka

Justin Thomas
Jordan Spieth

Rickie Fowler
Tiger Woods

Patrick Reed
Tony Finau

Missing out initially would be
Bryson DeChambeau
Bubba Watson
Webb Simpson
Phil Mickelson

southfieldhibby
26-09-2018, 09:02 AM
Looking at media reports it seems like Woods and Dechambeau...probably in fourball due him being too picky about golf balls, although Phil did drop a hint yesterday he's keen to pair up again.

Speith/Reed does seem obvious too, they've got a pretty good record.

Golden Bear
26-09-2018, 12:28 PM
I can't wait for it to start, I'll definitely come into the couch potato category from Friday to Sunday. Just as well Hibs are away from home!

IWasThere2016
26-09-2018, 12:54 PM
I can't wait for it to start, I'll definitely come into the couch potato category from Friday to Sunday. Just as well Hibs are away from home!

My Birthday on Sat ... galpal wants to take me out. She has been told the score! #onthecouch

Golden Bear
26-09-2018, 04:52 PM
Paul Mcginley and Butch Harmon's thoughts on how the first day's fourballs could pan out:-

McIlroy/Rahm v Johnston/Fowler

Stenson/Rose v Woods/Chambeau

Hatton/Casey v Speith/Thomas

Fleetwood/Poulter v Mickleson/ Koepka.

I'd be surprised if the Mickleson/Koepka partnership in particular turns out too be true. Lefty is right out of sorts at present but I suppose he could be of more value in a fourball series than the two ball.

Smartie
26-09-2018, 05:12 PM
I've gone full-circle on this and now can't see beyond Europe.

I didn't agree with the captain's picks (especially Garcia) but I've read a few previews and everything seems to be pointing towards Europe for me.

They have a few players who have either won or finished high up at this venue - the Americans have few who have played it, and those who have don't have great form there. I suspect that the Europeans will have a stronger team mentality (although I do think the Americans can still put out some solid pairs). Mostly, the Europeans seem to have the form going into the event, so whilst I do think the Americans have the better players, I think the Europeans are currently playing better.

It will mostly come down to stuff like how affected by injury Stenson is - if he's fully fit, he'll be a huge asset, and how the talented European rookies take to the format.

I'm looking forward to it.

NOLA
26-09-2018, 11:01 PM
The course plays for accuracy over distance so should suit the Europeans more than the yanks and a good number of the Europe team have won at that course already or finished in the top 3/5 [emoji106] looking forward to this event starting, btw is this the last time English players will be able to represent Europe [emoji848]🤨[emoji38]

Golden Bear
27-09-2018, 01:13 PM
The course plays for accuracy over distance so should suit the Europeans more than the yanks and a good number of the Europe team have won at that course already or finished in the top 3/5 [emoji106] looking forward to this event starting, btw is this the last time English players will be able to represent Europe [emoji848]🤨[emoji38]

They could be joining the Scottish golfers who bowed out of the Ryder Cup team a good number of years ago.!

heretoday
27-09-2018, 04:16 PM
I reckon the yanks will win.

Benny Brazil
27-09-2018, 08:19 PM
I reckon the yanks will win.

After seeing the pairings for the morning fourballs I tend to agree - some odd European pairings

theonlywayisup
27-09-2018, 10:01 PM
After seeing the pairings for the morning fourballs I tend to agree - some odd European pairings

Quite the opposite. I think they make sense. Get all but one rookie out in the fourballs each one playing with someone who's already experienced the highs.

Then get the remainder out in the foursomes which requires a different style of play.

Whereas for the USA they've got to play Mickelson, Watson and DeChambreau who may struggle in that format.

theonlywayisup
28-09-2018, 05:46 AM
The atmosphere at the first tee is amazing. Almost 7,000 fans.

It's going to be electric at 7:10.

blackpoolhibs
28-09-2018, 06:19 AM
The atmosphere at the first tee is amazing. Almost 7,000 fans.

It's going to be electric at 7:10.

Its fantastic, Finau looked to be absolutely crapping himself on the tee and his shot showed it. :greengrin

Golden Bear
28-09-2018, 06:25 AM
Great atmosphere but disappointed to see the booing of the American players. That's well out of order in my humble opinion.

blackpoolhibs
28-09-2018, 06:35 AM
Great atmosphere but disappointed to see the booing of the American players. That's well out of order in my humble opinion.

:agree: The yanks are the most classless nation on the planet, and its something they have delivered to the world of the golf game that we've sadly taken on ourselves.

Hibrandenburg
28-09-2018, 07:26 AM
:agree: The yanks are the most classless nation on the planet, and its something they have delivered to the world of the golf game that we've sadly taken on ourselves.

Someone's having a laugh here. All the bunkers are shaped like a cock n balls at hole 2.

Hibrandenburg
28-09-2018, 07:37 AM

Just heard someone shouting in a loud fake American accent "get in the water" after Patrick Reid hit a shot. Got a laugh from the crowd.

theonlywayisup
28-09-2018, 07:52 AM
We've shaved the edge of the hole a few times. Need a few putts to drop.

Hibrandenburg
28-09-2018, 08:19 AM
We've shaved the edge of the hole a few times. Need a few putts to drop.

Fleetwood just done it again. Can't help but feel we'll regret missing these chances later.

Hibrandenburg
28-09-2018, 08:21 AM
Oelsen too.

theonlywayisup
28-09-2018, 08:26 AM
Good putt from Rahm. That's them two up.

Golden Bear
28-09-2018, 08:56 AM
It's an ever changing picture as we expected. My prediction is 2-2.

hfc rd
28-09-2018, 09:31 AM
Justin Rose with the shot of the tournament so far at the 12th

What a putt!

theonlywayisup
28-09-2018, 09:35 AM
Justin Rose with the shot of the tournament so far at the 12th

What a putt!

It was a chip.

theonlywayisup
28-09-2018, 10:40 AM
How lucky was Finau? Tee shot inches from going into the water, then hits the railway sleepers and bounces up to two feet for a birdie.

greenlex
28-09-2018, 11:05 AM
How lucky was Finau? Tee shot inches from going into the water, then hits the railway sleepers and bounces up to two feet for a birdie.

The booing before he got over the putt is poor. As Murray said surely we’re better than that.

theonlywayisup
28-09-2018, 11:10 AM
The booing before he got over the putt is poor. As Murray said surely we’re better than that.

Very poor.

Think we're going to lose all four games. Not been our morning.

greenlex
28-09-2018, 11:15 AM
Falling to bits these last4 holes. The last 4 at Paris national can do that to you.

theonlywayisup
28-09-2018, 11:24 AM
Surprised to see Rory playing in the afternoon. Not one birdie from him this morning.

Henrik Stenson & Justin Rose v Dustin Johnson & Rickie Fowler

Rory McIlroy & Ian Poulter v Bubba Watson & Webb Simpson

Sergio Garcia & Alex Noren v Phil Mickelson & Bryson DeChambeau

Francesco Molinari & Tommy Fleetwood v Justin Thomas & Jordan Spieth

Smartie
28-09-2018, 12:42 PM
Someone's having a laugh here. All the bunkers are shaped like a cock n balls at hole 2.

You don't get analysis like this from the "experts" on Sky Sports.

:greengrin

Jim44
28-09-2018, 01:45 PM
Doing better this afternoon. Europe up in all four matches.

Godsahibby
28-09-2018, 02:09 PM
Very interesting afternoon. With the type of person he is , DeChambeau is just not suited to this format. The way Phil has been playing recently he just isn't suited to golf!! Going to be a long, well actually probably short afternoon for them!!

Surprised with some of the other scores just now.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-09-2018, 02:18 PM
Great entertainment so far.

Jim44
28-09-2018, 02:20 PM
Things can quickly change but looking really good for Europe at the moment.

Ryan91
28-09-2018, 02:30 PM
Garcia and Noren 7 Up on Mickelson and DeChambeau

I like the look of that.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-09-2018, 02:38 PM
It doesnae matter what sport it is, everybody would love a Poulter like character on their team, he just gets it.

Jim44
28-09-2018, 03:03 PM
Anything less than 4 points from the Fourdsomes, as it stands, will be disappointing.

Ryan91
28-09-2018, 03:05 PM
Garcia and Noren 6up, 6 to play. Can't lose.

Ryan91
28-09-2018, 03:15 PM
Stenson and Rose also can't lose, 3 UP with 3 to play

They win 3&2

Ryan91
28-09-2018, 03:35 PM
Poulter/McIlroy and Garcia/Noren win their matches as well.

Molinari and Fleetwood are 4UP in their match against Thomas and Speith.

Jim44
28-09-2018, 03:38 PM
Clean sweep on the cards...... fantastic turnaround this afternoon.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-09-2018, 03:41 PM
Get in! Great stuff. Back to football tomorrow now.

theonlywayisup
28-09-2018, 03:42 PM
Brilliant afternoon.

Surely the same 8 out tomorrow morning.

theonlywayisup
28-09-2018, 03:43 PM
But how bad were the Americans in the afternoon?

Ryan91
28-09-2018, 03:43 PM
And that's a clean sweep for Europe

Jim44
28-09-2018, 03:47 PM
I think this afternoon foursomes is an indication of Europe’s superior team spirit. But let’s
not get ahead of ourselves as USA can bounce back in the Fourballs tomorrow. What this afternoon’s performance does is highlight that it won’t be the USA pushover lots of us feared it might be.

Hibrandenburg
29-09-2018, 08:33 AM
Yoo rope running away with it at the moment. :greengrin

Smartie
29-09-2018, 09:07 AM
Fair play to Bjorn - his picks have been superb.

Golden Bear
29-09-2018, 09:09 AM
No contest (!!!???). This could potentially spoil tomorrow's singles as they could be meaningless. 🙂

hfc rd
29-09-2018, 10:07 AM
What a partnership both Fleetwood and Molinari have been so far. Bit like Jamie Maclaren & Florian Kamberi for Hibs.

Jim44
29-09-2018, 10:20 AM
No contest (!!!???). This could potentially spoil tomorrow's singles as they could be meaningless. 🙂

Hope you’re not getting ahead of yourself, G.B.

Godsahibby
29-09-2018, 10:23 AM
What a partnership both Fleetwood and Molinari have been so far. Bit like Jamie Maclaren & Florian Kamberi for Hibs.

I’m loving the ‘Moliwood’ chat. What a pairing

Also for all the doubters with Sergio as a captains pick, he has been quality today.

Golden Bear
29-09-2018, 10:44 AM

Also for all the doubters with Sergio as a captains pick, he has been quality today.

And I was one of them!

Godsahibby
29-09-2018, 10:56 AM
And I was one of them!

So was I to be honest!!

hfc rd
29-09-2018, 10:58 AM

I personally thought both him and Rory had bottled it but what a putt to win it.

Europe have won 7 consecutive games and it’s going to be 8 with both Molinari & Fleetwood looking good. Huge afternoon foursome session coming up for the Americans if they want to give themselves a glimmer of hope.

Hibrandenburg
29-09-2018, 11:56 AM
Have we seen the 18th green yet?

Scouse Hibee
29-09-2018, 07:17 PM
It hasn't been the greatest of golf on display with some very poor quality shots but I'll take a 10-6 lead any day.

Golden Bear
29-09-2018, 07:38 PM
One of the best things about this Ryder Cup is the venue - what a superb course. Not overly long but the contoured greens, tight fairways, brutal rough and the numerous water hazards have given the players something to think about. It also offers the spectators some great vantage points for viewing the action.

theonlywayisup
29-09-2018, 07:44 PM
Great entertainment. Europe have done so well so far but that could all change if the Americans start hitting fairways and hole putts. I feel that there are singles games that should go Europe way but all could change on the day. And vice versa.

It's about time Rahm showed us when he can do. Would love to see Casey win his game. Think Rose should win his game if he plays well. Fleetwood needs to play well to take care of Finau. Rory will lose. Hope the game is won well before we need to rely on the Swedes at the end. If it does come down to them I expect both to win.

Match 1: Justin Thomas (U.S.) vs. Rory McIlroy (EUR)

Match 2: Brooks Koepka (U.S.) vs. Paul Casey (EUR)

Match 3: Webb Simpson (U.S.) vs. Justin Rose (EUR)

Match 4: Tiger Woods (U.S.) vs. Jon Rahm (EUR)

Match 5: Tony Finau (U.S.) vs. Tommy Fleetwood (EUR)

Match 6: Dustin Johnson (U.S.) vs. Ian Poulter (EUR)

Match 7: Jordan Spieth (U.S.) vs. Thorbjorn Olesen (EUR)

Match 8: Rickie Fowler (U.S.) vs. Sergio Garcia (EUR)

Match 9: Phil Mickelson (U.S.) vs. Francesco Molinari (EUR)

Match 10: Patrick Reed (U.S.) vs. Tyrrell Hatton (EUR)

Match 11: Bubba Watson (U.S.) vs. Henrik Stenson (EUR)

Match 12: Byrson DeChambeau (U.S.) vs. Alex Noren (EUR)

greenlex
29-09-2018, 08:13 PM
Set up for some quality Sunday afternoon viewing. Sergio to get a half and Franco to bag the cup with a win.

Smartie
29-09-2018, 08:56 PM
Patrick Reed vs Tyrell Hatton.

The battle of the bell ends.

Jim44
29-09-2018, 10:52 PM
Sorry to be negative but I think that the poorish USA team spirit will count for nothing in the singles tomorrow and I think they will get 8 points to hold on to the cup.

Godsahibby
30-09-2018, 08:17 AM
Sorry to be negative but I think that the poorish USA team spirit will count for nothing in the singles tomorrow and I think they will get 8 points to hold on to the cup.

Agreed but the inability of a number of their players to find a fairway will count for a lot. It's matchplay, they need to push for wins to get red on the board which will mean taking chances and making mistakes. I think Europe have enough experience and quality in key match ups to get the points needed.

It is set up to be very good afternoon!

theonlywayisup
30-09-2018, 08:30 AM
Not long to go before the first tee time.

The early matches are going to be key. We can't afford to go two of three down early which is what happened at in both of the previous matches where a four point lead was overturned.

Scouse Hibee
30-09-2018, 08:41 AM
11.05 Rory McIIroy is first out.

Godsahibby
30-09-2018, 09:38 AM
11.05 Rory McIIroy is first out.

Saw his interview on the range earlier. Not someoneone who was oozing confidence!

theonlywayisup
30-09-2018, 09:42 AM
Saw his interview on the range earlier. Not someoneone who was oozing confidence!

That's what I thought. I wouldn't have him out playing first.

murray26
30-09-2018, 10:06 AM
I would like to see this go close for entertainment purposes..

theonlywayisup
30-09-2018, 10:19 AM
Rory has to dig deep to beat Thomas. Hopefully no more gifts like there at the 1st.

Hibbyradge
30-09-2018, 10:34 AM
I'm ridiculously nervous! 🇪🇺🇪🇺🇪🇺

greenlex
30-09-2018, 12:57 PM
I would like to see this go close for entertainment purposes..
It will.

BroxburnHibee
30-09-2018, 01:11 PM
Mcilroys putting is shocking!

Jim44
30-09-2018, 01:21 PM
Yanks coming back into this. It’s far from over.

Hibbyradge
30-09-2018, 01:35 PM
McIlroy has blown it

What price USA to retain?

theonlywayisup
30-09-2018, 01:36 PM
It's all gone very quiet

Jim44
30-09-2018, 01:37 PM
McIlroy bottles it.

murray26
30-09-2018, 01:42 PM
It’s getting exciting now.. still think Europe will win

greenlex
30-09-2018, 01:55 PM
Very much game on.

Moulin Yarns
30-09-2018, 02:07 PM
As it stands, Europe on for 16 and a half but still a lot to do.

Moulin Yarns
30-09-2018, 02:16 PM
Argh. Rahm missed a simple putt to take the 16th

Moulin Yarns
30-09-2018, 02:17 PM
Olson takes the game against Speith

11 and a half secure

Golden Bear
30-09-2018, 02:19 PM
DJ has cracked up altogether- pressure, pressure, pressure!

Moulin Yarns
30-09-2018, 02:28 PM
Rookie Rahm 2 and 1 win over Tiger Woods

blackpoolhibs
30-09-2018, 02:37 PM
It got a bit hairy about 45 minutes ago, but things have turned our way now, and we should win this comfortably. :greengrin

hfc rd
30-09-2018, 02:42 PM
Should have this wrapped up pretty soon now after a small brief scare by the Americans

blackpoolhibs
30-09-2018, 02:51 PM
The postman is just about to deliver. :thumbsup:

greenlex
30-09-2018, 02:59 PM
That’ll do lads. It’s all over.

hfc rd
30-09-2018, 03:01 PM
Americans have been hammered

That’s it now won

Hibbyradge
30-09-2018, 03:03 PM
Molinari 5/5. Fantastic

Ryan91
30-09-2018, 03:03 PM
Molinari goes FIVE FOR FIVE - incredible

Golden Bear
30-09-2018, 03:13 PM
From what we've seen so far, the USA team are very gracious in defeat. So many of their side just didn't perform to expectations but that shouldn't take anything away from the brilliance of the European team.

hfc rd
30-09-2018, 03:25 PM
From what we've seen so far, the USA team are very gracious in defeat. So many of their side just didn't perform to expectations but that shouldn't take anything away from the brilliance of the European team.

The commentator wasn’t happy with Reed.

Ryan91
30-09-2018, 03:27 PM
Garcia now the record points scorer in Ryder Cup history, 25.5 points

greenlex
30-09-2018, 03:36 PM
I have to say I’m a bit disappointed the team are not out on the course bringing Alex Naren home instead of celebrating with the fans. There’s plenty of time for that.

Golden Bear
30-09-2018, 03:42 PM
The commentator wasn’t happy with Reed.

I think Butch misread the situation, I seen it more as a bit banter between Patrick and the crowd who had booed him relentlessly for 3 days!

From the Beeb text messaging service:-

The Americans are taking defeat in excellent, gracious spirit.

After Patrick Reed jokingly shushed the crowd after his match, Bryson DeChambeau has strode up the 15th conducting the home fans in their celebratory songs.

He is one down to Alex Noren on the 16th tee.

greenlex
30-09-2018, 04:04 PM
Absolutely ****ing brilliant there from Alex Noren.

Hibee87
30-09-2018, 04:55 PM
I think Butch misread the situation, I seen it more as a bit banter between Patrick and the crowd who had booed him relentlessly for 3 days!

After Patrick Reed jokingly shushed the crowd after his match, Bryson DeChambeau has strode up the 15th conducting the home fans in their celebratory songs.

That's exactly how I seen it as well. He was smiling and having a bit banter.
Butch 'I used to coach tiger you know' Harmon i find is a blethering arse piece

Jim44
30-09-2018, 05:03 PM
The performance of Bjorn’s wildcard picks proved him correct. He took a lot of stick but good on him.

theonlywayisup
30-09-2018, 05:19 PM
The Ryder Cup is great entertainment. Well done to the US team for taking the defeat so well. I think the players get on so well that there is a lot of respect between both teams.

Thought Fowler was great in celebrating with Garcia at the end of his match.

greenlex
30-09-2018, 05:39 PM

He definitely started his rant too early.

theonlywayisup
30-09-2018, 05:42 PM
Wonder what Tom Watson is thinking about this defeat.

Wonder who Mickelson is going to blame for this defeat.

Allant1981
30-09-2018, 06:04 PM

hope you didnt bet on it

Jim44
30-09-2018, 06:17 PM
hope you didnt bet on it

I’m not that stupid. I find it hard to put my money where my mouth is. :greengrin

McD
30-09-2018, 06:20 PM
Wonder what Tom Watson is thinking about this defeat.

Wonder who Mickelson is going to blame for this defeat.

You wouldn’t have known mickelson was there, for all he contributed.

theonlywayisup
30-09-2018, 07:56 PM
The US view on the Ryder Cup

https://www.rydercup.com/news-media/usa/decisive-ryder-cup-loss-leaves-usa-wondering-when-25-year-losing-streak-europe-will

theonlywayisup
30-09-2018, 07:57 PM
You wouldn’t have known mickelson was there, for all he contributed.

Think I read somewhere that Mickelson will be the record points loser in the Ryder Cup if he lost his singles march.

McD
01-10-2018, 10:00 PM
Think I read somewhere that Mickelson will be the record points loser in the Ryder Cup if he lost his singles march.

He is, 22 losses, more than any other player is history. Tiger is second most with 21, both surpassed their captain this weekend, who was the previous record holder on 20, tied with mickelson.

McSwanky
02-10-2018, 06:03 AM
He is, 22 losses, more than any other player is history. Tiger is second most with 21, both surpassed their captain this weekend, who was the previous record holder on 20, tied with mickelson.To be fair though, he has also played the most games of any American player.

Tiger's overall record (percentage wise) is a good bit worse.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

theonlywayisup
02-10-2018, 11:03 AM
I see that the US harmony pre-match has started to fall apart.

Reed played with Spieth in 2014 and 2016, winning four and halving two of their seven matches, but in Paris he partnered Tiger Woods - losing both fourballs matches before winning his singles match - while Spieth won three points with Justin Thomas.

Reports also suggested Koepka and Johnson, who lost together in Saturday's foursomes, had to be separated following a row at Europe's victory party on Sunday night.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/45717900

Anyone seen the Molinari Fleetwood video - funny

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/fleetwood-molinari-continue-lovefest-ryder-cup/

Golden Bear
02-10-2018, 11:20 AM
I feel sorry for the unfortunate woman but at the same time it will open a can of worms if she pursues this incident through the courts. If you attend a golf tournament then surely you accept the risk that something as rare as this could possibly happen. It's no one's fault, it wasn't deliberate and if she succeeds then I can see the day when spectators will be asked to sign a disclaimer when purchasing a ticket. Heaven forbid.

https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/spectator-hit-koepka-loses-sight-right-eye-166357

southfieldhibby
02-10-2018, 11:42 AM
I feel sorry for the unfortunate woman but at the same time it will open a can of worms if she pursues this incident through the courts. If you attend a golf tournament then surely you accept the risk that something as rare as this could possibly happen. It's no one's fault, it wasn't deliberate and if she succeeds then I can see the day when spectators will be asked to sign a disclaimer when purchasing a ticket. Heaven forbid.

https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/spectator-hit-koepka-loses-sight-right-eye-166357

Assume there's a disclaimer on the ticket already? By agreeing to the T&C's when buying she'll have given up any chance of suing? Will be amazed if that's not the case.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-10-2018, 11:53 AM

I've often thought the same about the cricket, if you're not paying attention you dinnae half get a fright when the ball smacks off something in your general vicinity on the other side of the boundary ropes. I've been at a few T20 games and even though the bevvy is flowing you've got to keep your wits about you, it only takes one delivery to do a hell of a damage. I find it nigh on impossible to follow the ball even when I'm not imbibing! :-)

Golden Bear
02-10-2018, 03:11 PM
" Persons entering the Venue do so acknowledging the general risks associated with the game of golf and attending a major golf tournament, including risks associated with errant golf shots."

I seen this elsewhere, apparently it's written on the back of each admission ticket.

Allant1981
02-10-2018, 03:54 PM
" Persons entering the Venue do so acknowledging the general risks associated with the game of golf and attending a major golf tournament, including risks associated with errant golf shots."

I seen this elsewhere, apparently it's written on the back of each admission ticket.

im pretty sure a major injury like this will be dealt with separately, they will have their public liability insurance to cover stuff like this

Sylar
03-10-2018, 08:59 AM
im pretty sure a major injury like this will be dealt with separately, they will have their public liability insurance to cover stuff like this

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they're covered for extreme events like this. I also wouldn't be surprised if Koepka reaches out to her, either alone or with others to offer to help her.

How do golf clubs around the UK deal with this? Is every golfer now expected to have insurance incase they injure a fellow player by accident, or are the club liable for any injuries?

Godsahibby
03-10-2018, 10:38 AM
Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they're covered for extreme events like this. I also wouldn't be surprised if Koepka reaches out to her, either alone or with others to offer to help her.

How do golf clubs around the UK deal with this? Is every golfer now expected to have insurance incase they injure a fellow player by accident, or are the club liable for any injuries?

The individual is responsible for any injuries. My club offers insurance as part of the membership, I am guessing a lot must offer something similar.

Allant1981
03-10-2018, 12:20 PM

like the poster below says, i had to take out insurance at my club for any incidents like this happening, i take the view though if you are going to watch a round of golf there is the chance that you may be hit by a ball, unfortunate yes but these things cant be helped

southfieldhibby
03-10-2018, 02:24 PM
Every game of golf, whether thru membership or casual play now includes a % of insurance after the case involving the guy at Niddrie Castle I think?

greenlex
03-10-2018, 06:30 PM
You are more at risk of being struck by lightning and seriously injured or worse than a golf ball when playing golf.

greenlex
04-10-2018, 07:27 PM
I see a woman got a scud on the bonce at the dunhill today.

theonlywayisup
05-10-2018, 07:26 PM
Mickelson has really gone down in my estimation.

"The fact is they had brutal rough, almost unplayable, and it's not the way I play," Mickelson told reporters following a first-round 65 at the Safeway Classic, the first event of the 2018-19 PGA Tour season. "I don't play like that. And here I can miss the fairways, i can get shots out of the rough up on the green and it's playable."

Maybe the clue is to hit the fairway and don't go into the rough.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/phil-mickelson-calls-ryder-cup-course-rough-almost-unplayable-says-similar-setups-are-a-waste-of-my-time