PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (St. Johnstone 120818)

Jonnyboy
12-08-2018, 07:49 PM
Having left Newbridge at twelve noon we anticipated having plenty of time for a bit of lunch and then on to the game but as it turned out we were caught up in an horrific traffic snarl up from the main road up to the stadium. Sitting in that for a good forty five minutes and then having to park at the far end of the car park meant we missed the first ten minutes of the game, which was annoying to say the least. Thankfully, billy whizz of this parish was on hand to let me know that Hibs had started the game well and that Oli Shaw had brought out a good save with a header towards goal which Zander Clark dealt with.

Having found our seats we got confirmation that Lenny had made changes to the starting eleven which to me made sense as with the games coming thick and fast he has to utilise his whole squad. The changes resulted in us having a pretty strong bench, including new signing Daryl Horgan whilst first starts of the season were given to both Maclaren and Hyndman.

It seemed a pretty even contest at this point with the home side using their wingers at every opportunity while Hibs went close again with another Shaw header. Minutes later, Boyle did well to find Maclaren but the striker could only look on in disbelief as his netbound shot was cleared off the line by Anderson. That clearance reached Lewis Stevenson but the full back got it all wrong with his shot going miles wide. Saints, with Wright and Kennedy causing Hibs problems almost snatched the lead but Davidson’s effort was comfortably dealt with by Laidlaw.

With Drey Wright in particular causing Stevenson and Hanlon all sorts of problems the hosts took the lead around the 20th minute. Back defending, Stevie Mallan was dispossessed inside the Hibs penalty area by Tony Watt who hammered the ball into the six yard box and was extremely lucky to see it deflect off Porteous and into the net. There was an element of luck in the strike though it didn’t stop T Watt celebrating in front of the Hibs fans. Hibs were rocking a wee bit and Laidlaw did well to stop a decent shot by Wright but the men in green soon got back on the front foot with Clark saving well from Boyle and then Anderson hoofing the ball clear with Maclaren in close attendance.

With half time approaching, ex Hibs loanee Matty Kennedy cut in from the left and sent a powerful right foot shot aimed at the top corner but he was denied by an excellent save from Laidlaw. Just before the whistle, Maclaren looked to have had his jersey pulled when he was in the process of getting a shot at goal but Willie Collum was having none of it.

After what would have been an interesting half time talk by Lenny, Hibs were vastly improved and deservedly equalised about five minutes in. A cracking cross by Boyle found Shaw racing in and the youngster dipped his head to bullet the ball home. Hibs were applying the pressure now but Clark was equal to the task in preventing both Mallan and Shaw from putting Hibs ahead. In a double substitution, Lenny brought on Kamberi and Horgan with the latter testing Clark with an effort from just outside the box.

Saints were struggling to launch any meaningful attacks although Craig did head wide from a corner before a stunning Stevenson drive fizzed just wide of Clark’s left hand post. There was a scare at the other end when Alston, totally unmarked around twenty yards out his a fierce low drive which Laidlaw may have had covered but wasn’t needed as Efe deflected the ball high over the bar. Hibs tried really hard to win the three points but time ran out and we had to settle for yet another draw against St. Johnstone.

The players

Here’s hoping my summation doesn’t sound too much like somebody’s Grandad although I must add that I had a Grandad sitting either side of me and their views are incorporated with mine!

Ross – Once again he had very little to do and though he had no chance with the goal his excellent save from Kennedy helped us win the point.

Efe – From start to finish he was, in my opinion, the best player on the park by a country mile. Defended well, used his pace and strength to good effect and was never shy of bringing the ball forward when the chance arose.

Ryan – It’s hard to believe this laddie is only 19; what a player. He’s big, strong and very brave and has good feet so the sky’s the limit for him. There was one instance in the second half when he threw his body in front of a pile driver from Alston and I swear that would have decked most players whilst Ryan just got up and carried on defending.

Paul – I thought Paul had a poor first half if I’m honest. Seemed to struggle a bit to deal with Drey Wright who nutmegged Paul a couple of times. He improved in the second half and looked much like his own self.

Boyler – In the first half he ran their left back ragged and was unlucky not to score. Wasn’t so prominent in the second half but I felt that was because Tommy Wright had his players double up on him.

Emerson – The lad is still adjusting to the pace of the game but looks to be a very clever player with the ball at his feet. Wasn’t afraid to put in a tackle, which was encouraging as he seems quite slight in stature.

Whitty – Had a bit of a torrid time in the first half but if the shouts around me are anything to go by he’s going to be crucified if a pass goes astray. Was better in the second half and I felt he finished the game quite strongly.

Stevie – For the second successive game we were denied the opportunity of watching him crack a free kick towards goal as despite a couple of occasions we felt he might be given the chance, Willie Collum and the incompetent stand side assistant decided against awarding free kicks.

Lewis – Like Paul, I thought he struggled a bit in the first half and played a few uncharacteristic passes into no-man’s land. Also, his follow up shot after the goal line clearance was very poor but he was unlucky with a super strike in the second half.

Jamie – It seems he has his own song now but, due to lack of match sharpness I suspect, he was definitely not on song today. Was caught on his heels a few times but will no doubt benefit from the hour he got today.

Oli – It’s ironic that I’ve heard him criticised for not being good enough with his head and then he scores the equaliser today ….. with his head, after a very well timed run into the box. The laddie is young and still learning but to my mind he has it all going for him.

Flo – I didn’t think he looked fully fit and listening to Lenny after the game I found that to be the case. I’m sure when he’s fully up to speed he’ll hit the goal trail again.

Daryl – First look at him and he seems neat and compact in possession with a good first touch.

Danny – Yet another five minute cameo from him though I did laugh when I heard the reception he got from the home fans. From hero to villain, just like that.

Lenny – Spoke well after the game though I’m not sure I agree with his suggestion that we dominated from start to finish. He was happy enough with his players and that’s all that really matters.

Willie Collum – Another whistle happy guy who clearly never goes near the shops of his sponsor. I thought he missed a few things today and that he was hoodwinked into giving free kicks on more than one occasion the ‘incident’ with Boyler and Clark being a prime example.

The fans – Turned out in very large numbers and got behind the team.

Hi Heid Yin
12-08-2018, 08:04 PM
Cheers for another insightful write-up, Jonnyboy.

aljo7-0
12-08-2018, 08:29 PM
I see what you did there with Mr Watt's name. I like your work. :greengrin calling him a name by using his name.

Hibeewilly
12-08-2018, 08:44 PM
Agree regarding your MOM......Efe was magnificent today......pure class

EL Green
12-08-2018, 09:00 PM
Efe outstanding, Willie Collum, the linesman on our left and the traffic, horrendous.

Jonnyboy
13-08-2018, 11:23 AM
Efe outstanding, Willie Collum, the linesman on our left and the traffic, horrendous.

No disagreement there, N 👍

JohnMcM
13-08-2018, 12:23 PM
Thanks Johnnyboy,
Always enjoy reading your summaries after I miss a match.
Keep it going please.

Hermit Crab
13-08-2018, 01:22 PM
Talking to a saints fan in the pub after the game and he said one of our shots in the first half that was cleared off the line but it was definitely over the line?? I can't think which one he's talking about as I don't remember the players protesting at all.

Stevie Reid
13-08-2018, 01:24 PM
Talking to a saints fan in the pub after the game and he said one of our shots in the first half that was cleared off the line but it was definitely over the line?? I can't think which one he's talking about as I don't remember the players protesting at all.

Talking about Maclaren's effort, was a great clearance off the line. Didn't look on the tv that it was fully over, but only one angle to take it from and ball was several feet in the air.

danhibees1875
13-08-2018, 02:54 PM
Talking about Maclaren's effort, was a great clearance off the line. Didn't look on the tv that it was fully over, but only one angle to take it from and ball was several feet in the air.

A real lesson in playing to the whistle to be learned there. Lewis' shot had a lot of power behind it, but JM would have had a better chance of getting an instinctive foot on it if he wasn't running away shouting at the linesman/ref instead.

HibbySpurs
13-08-2018, 03:48 PM
Agree, Efe best player on the park yesterday.

Kamberi doesn't look 100% yet with the dodgy knee, hopefully be fitter for Thursday night.

Smartie
13-08-2018, 04:01 PM
I thought we looked much better when Flo went on. He might not be fully fit and firing on all cylinders but his play with his back to goal was superb and I thought he helped link up our attacking play a lot better.

Having got in 25 minutes late I missed our promising start and thought we were all over the place at the end of he first half before improving a great deal in the second.

Hermit Crab
13-08-2018, 05:31 PM
This has been answered before but where do St J get their steak pies from? they are absolutely tremendous!!!

BoomtownHibees
13-08-2018, 06:42 PM
This has been answered before but where do St J get their steak pies from? they are absolutely tremendous!!!

Yorkes of Dundee. Best pies in the league!!

Hermit Crab
13-08-2018, 08:27 PM

Brilliant, thank you. :aok:

Billy Whizz
13-08-2018, 08:29 PM
Brilliant, thank you. :aok:

You’ll probably get one at Dens Park tomorrow night
I’ll have one for you too🤣

Hermit Crab
13-08-2018, 08:40 PM
You’ll probably get one at Dens Park tomorrow night
I’ll have one for you too🤣

I would like to go but I will have to speak to the Mrs. :greengrin

Hermit Crab
13-08-2018, 10:01 PM

Can't seem to order from their website which is a dam shame.

BoomtownHibees
13-08-2018, 10:15 PM
Can't seem to order from their website which is a dam shame.

I had a look as well. Have sent them a message to see what options there are 😉

Hermit Crab
13-08-2018, 10:28 PM

Ooh I'll be interested to see what they come back with. I'm a sucker for a good steak pie. :greengrin

alihibs1
13-08-2018, 10:36 PM
I thought Maclaren played quite well despite his lack of match sharpness. Unlucky not to score. Lost the ball once or twice but apart from that his movement was good and laid it off to others well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

BoomtownHibees
14-08-2018, 12:28 AM
I thought Maclaren played quite well despite his lack of match sharpness. Unlucky not to score. Lost the ball once or twice but apart from that his movement was good and laid it off to others well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I thought he was gash

Hermit Crab
14-08-2018, 01:34 AM
I thought he was gash

Definitely wasn't great but he wasn't the only one who underperformed on the day, perhaps a bit of a European hangover.

BoomtownHibees
14-08-2018, 06:55 AM
Definitely wasn't great but he wasn't the only one who underperformed on the day, perhaps a bit of a European hangover.

You’re right about the others mate. Hanlon and Stevenson had a shocker of a first half. Also thought Mallan was really poor throughout. Can’t blame McLarens performance on his European hangover though since he only played about 10 seconds. Think he’s still got a bit to do to get up to speed and will see him back to the form of last season once his partnership with Flo is back up and running

500miles
14-08-2018, 08:10 AM
The concern about the guys coming in after the European run is how much quality time they're getting on the training pitch. We're doing a lot of traveling instead of getting to know each other as players, and that must be an added challenge.

Billy Whizz
14-08-2018, 08:13 AM
The concern about the guys coming in after the European run is how much quality time they're getting on the training pitch. We're doing a lot of traveling instead of getting to know each other as players, and that must be an added challenge.

Think Horgan hasn’t travelled, so at least he can get a few days training in

KWJ
14-08-2018, 08:41 AM
Hanlon's not quite been himself so far this season. Early days of course but wonder if he's carrying something too. Was it a virus he missed Faroes game with? I had one about same time and the cough is still lingering.

Smartie
14-08-2018, 12:42 PM
Hanlon's not quite been himself so far this season. Early days of course but wonder if he's carrying something too. Was it a virus he missed Faroes game with? I had one about same time and the cough is still lingering.

I missed the start of the game on Sunday but I've not seen any problems with Hanlon's level of performance so far at all.

Hermit Crab
14-08-2018, 03:44 PM

Have you had a response yet?

BoomtownHibees
14-08-2018, 05:17 PM
Have you had a response yet?

Nothing yet

BoomtownHibees
14-08-2018, 05:18 PM
I missed the start of the game on Sunday but I've not seen any problems with Hanlon's level of performance so far at all.

He has been fine, in the main, however he wasn’t up to his usual standards in the first half on Sunday

Hermit Crab
14-08-2018, 05:50 PM
Nothing yet

Cool. I’m going to go up to Dundee on Thursday with the Mrs and bairn. I’ll hunt down one of their shops. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoomtownHibees
14-08-2018, 06:09 PM
Cool. I’m going to go up to Dundee on Thursday with the Mrs and bairn. I’ll hunt down one of their shops. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there’s 2

Hermit Crab
14-08-2018, 06:40 PM
I think there’s 2

Edit, meant Friday.

Keith_M
14-08-2018, 06:52 PM
Is this a game thread or a pie thread?

Or maybe it's a game pie thread...

Billy Whizz
14-08-2018, 10:36 PM
Is this a game thread or a pie thread?

Or maybe it's a game pie thread...

Funnily enough I said to Jonnyboy at the Irn Bru Cup game tonight, Hermit should do a “this is how it tastes” after each game. Will end up being an A-Z of football grounds cuisine. Are you up for it HC