PDA

View Full Version : Alan Stubbs.

vuefrom1875
12-08-2018, 07:42 PM
Subjected to vile sectarian abuse today at ibrox....I'm sure you all know the script, but hey-ho it's a big carpet to sweep under at the sfa/spfl...disgusting.

H18 SFR
12-08-2018, 07:49 PM
I don't think it will bother him, he was on Radio Scotland before the game saying he gets a buzz out of it.

jacomo
12-08-2018, 07:57 PM
He should give them the 3-2, just for lols

sauzee6_2
12-08-2018, 07:59 PM
I don't think it will bother him, he was on Radio Scotland before the game saying he gets a buzz out of it.

Might not bother him...doesn’t make it acceptable.

Still feel strongly that we need to do something to make a stand.

Can we refuse tickets? Ban them from ER? Statement from leeanne?

Pretty Boy
12-08-2018, 08:02 PM
Nothing to see here, provocation, minority, 90 minute problem etc etc

In fairness I can see why they hate Stubbs. Helped stop 10 in a row and denied them their 'we're back/we've arrived' Scottish Cup. He's not been kind to them.

Bostonhibby
12-08-2018, 08:09 PM
Beasts.
It's Scotland's shame though and the football authorities and politicians seems happy enough for it to be trivialised or ignored entirely.

WhileTheChief..
12-08-2018, 08:14 PM

Leanne to make a statement about fans at a game not involving Hibs or Hibs fans at all??

Guess it could help us move up the club statement table. We could just release the same statement each time the old firm play and we’d soon be challenging Rangers and Hearts!

SouthMoroccoStu
12-08-2018, 08:19 PM
Guaranteed they sang about Stubbs’ health issues

Utter ****. But because it’s rangers nothing will happen about it

Start docking them points, that’s the only way they’ll stop

Fife-Hibee
12-08-2018, 08:21 PM

Nope. They would continue to do it, while claiming an all mighty agenda against them.

hfc rd
12-08-2018, 08:21 PM

Think you’ve provided the solution but also the reason why it won’t happen in your post.

adhibs
12-08-2018, 08:26 PM
Nope. They would continue to do it, while claiming an all mighty agenda against them.

The most vile and dilusional club in the country. Sad to say their behaviour is no surprise.

eastender1
12-08-2018, 08:29 PM
Think you’ve provided the solution but also the reason why it won’t happen in your post.

The SFA will do nothing about it, never have, never will.

But what about the media - how about a question to Gerrard about what he thought about it. Would be interesting to see his response, and would tell you something about the man.

Baldy Foghorn
12-08-2018, 08:30 PM

Refuse tickets? Why would we do that?

GreenArmy1875
12-08-2018, 08:31 PM

Like our own fans do about Mercer?

blackpoolhibs
12-08-2018, 08:45 PM

Fair play to the buddies fans today. :greengrin

BoomtownHibees
12-08-2018, 08:46 PM

Are they still “health issues” when you’re deed?

vuefrom1875
12-08-2018, 08:48 PM

It's sectarianism we're talking about.

Sir David Gray
12-08-2018, 08:49 PM

:faf:

GreenArmy1875
12-08-2018, 09:00 PM
It's sectarianism we're talking about.

Poster mentioned Stubbs health issues.

vuefrom1875
12-08-2018, 09:04 PM
Poster mentioned Stubbs health issues.

That and sectarian stuff.Spoke to someone who was at the game.

we are hibs
12-08-2018, 09:07 PM

There is a massive difference between Stubbs and Mercer and you know it

DetroitHibs
12-08-2018, 09:12 PM
Just ram it up them next game and do the airplane :wink:

bigwheel
12-08-2018, 09:15 PM

This is one of the type of points that get hammered on here..but I agree with the post you quoted....these Mercer songs are an embarrassment to our club..every bit as poor taste as anything sung by the bigots at Ibrox. as is the Skatcel song...the Mercer songs in Greece were very disappointing for me.

I wish we would rise above these types of chants. It's not a good reflection on our wonderful club..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sauzee6_2
12-08-2018, 09:29 PM
Refuse tickets? Why would we do that?

How else do you propose we make a high profile stance to their archaic behaviours?

If we continue to fund them, we continue to condone their actions.

12-08-2018, 09:29 PM
Beasts.
It's Scotland's shame though and the football authorities and politicians seems happy enough for it to be trivialised or ignored entirely.

Doesn't seem like the authorities are going to do anything about it anytime soon.

I reckon if away fans at Ibrox or anyone anywhere subjected to such behaviour filmed it on their phones and shared/retweeted the footage on Twitter and other social media it could grow and grow like the #MeToo campaign. In situations like this people power is what is required to put pressure on the authorities to act. #MeAnaw

Bostonhibby
12-08-2018, 09:35 PM
Doesn't seem like the authorities are going to do anything about it anytime soon.

I reckon if away fans at Ibrox or anyone anywhere subjected to such behaviour filmed it on their phones and shared/retweeted the footage on Twitter and other social media it could grow and grow like the #MeToo campaign. In situations like this people power is what is required to put pressure on the authorities to act. #MeAnaw

A perfectly sensible idea which would likely and sadly become a target for the bigots in turn.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

blackpoolhibs
12-08-2018, 09:38 PM
How else do you propose we make a high profile stance to their archaic behaviours?

If we continue to fund them, we continue to condone their actions.

:agree: For anything to change, it has to be fans led. We've seen the authorities sheite themselves over and over again with this lot, and the others ones.

Until such times as we the fans make a stance, and boycott their ground and ban them from ours, nothing will change.

Sometimes doing the right thing for the right reasons is the right way to go, we've tried all the other ways, we've tried to let those in charge run the game properly, but they are just too scared to do anything about it.

It wont happen though, we will just sweep this under the carpet as we have done since i can remember.

Greenfly
12-08-2018, 09:42 PM
This is one of the type of points that get hammered on here..but I agree with the post you quoted....these Mercer songs are an embarrassment to our club..every bit as poor taste as anything sung by the bigots at Ibrox. as is the Skatcel song...the Mercer songs in Greece were very disappointing for me.

I wish we would rise above these types of chants. It's not a good reflection on our wonderful club..

I agree totally with this. We're surely bigger than all that bile? If we're going to criticise Rangers fans or whoever - and so we should - for spewing their vile poison, then we need to rise above it ourselves and be seen to do so. We ought to be better than that.

1van Sprou7e
12-08-2018, 09:44 PM

Skacel song is horrendous patter and always has been

Not bothered when people sing about the fact that Mercer is deed though tbh. ****bag of a man who would happily **** anyone over if he could profit from it

He nearly succeeded in killing our club, he's lucky we don't sing worse about him

hfc rd
12-08-2018, 09:48 PM

Seen one of the St Mirren fans tweeted this:

Rangers fans pumped cash and a lot of time and effort into a full stadium display, which, imho, looked brilliant. But it was trumped, upstaged, by a f****** bedsheet!
A f****** glorious bedsheet.

😂😂

SideBurns
12-08-2018, 09:54 PM
I agree totally with this. We're surely bigger than all that bile? If we're going to criticise Rangers fans or whoever - and so we should - for spewing their vile poison, then we need to rise above it ourselves and be seen to do so. We ought to be better than that.

One or two songs very rarely heard (the most recent of which remains a mystery to those of us who weren't in Greece) about a man who tried to kill our club aren't, imo, a moral equivalent to the constant bile spewed by the Huns on a weekly basis.

However, I agree with the general point - I wish no-one sung anything about Mercer. I'd rather his name wasn't mentioned at any Hibs match. As I said on another thread - the man is dead - can we not just leave him there? Singing about him continues to afford him importance when, to us, he should now be an irrelevance.

bod
12-08-2018, 09:58 PM
Maybe if every manager that’s subject to it mentions it in their post match interviews then it might force the media to start commenting on it

Greenfly
12-08-2018, 10:05 PM
One or two songs very rarely heard (the most recent of which remains a mystery to those of us who weren't in Greece) about a man who tried to kill our club aren't, imo, a moral equivalent to the constant bile spewed by the Huns on a weekly basis.

However, I agree with the general point - I wish no-one sung anything about Mercer. I'd rather his name wasn't mentioned at any Hibs match. As I said on another thread - the man is dead - can we not just leave him there? Singing about him continues to afford him importance when, to us, he should now be an irrelevance.

I completely agree that they're not "a moral equivalent" to the vile stuff but I still maintain we should be above that rubbish - does us no credit at all - thankfully we do usually rise above it.

WeeRussell
12-08-2018, 10:08 PM

It’s either unacceptable to sing about people’s ill health or it isn’t.

SideBurns
12-08-2018, 10:11 PM
I completely agree that they're not "a moral equivalent" to the vile stuff but I still maintain we should be above that rubbish - does us no credit at all - thankfully we do usually rise above it.

Aye - we've loads of great songs these days, why we'd choose to ever bother with classless and tasteless stuff is beyond me.

HibeeHibernian4
12-08-2018, 10:47 PM

One of the biggest loads of nonsense I’ve ever read on here , and I say that as somebody who is disgusted by the Skacel song. Mercer however? Absolutely no sympathy for that Tory ******* who tried to end our club, and not that much for his family who run to the papers every 5 years going “see, Hibs and Hearts not winning the league is proof that “oor Wallace wis right all along!”

bigwheel
13-08-2018, 06:24 AM
One of the biggest loads of nonsense I’ve ever read on here , and I say that as somebody who is disgusted by the Skacel song. Mercer however? Absolutely no sympathy for that Tory ******* who tried to end our club, and not that much for his family who run to the papers every 5 years going “see, Hibs and Hearts not winning the league is proof that “oor Wallace wis right all along!”

I know my post wasn't going to be a popular opinion. Mercer is a very emotive topic , and your response gives evidence of that...

If I read your response right, it says that he did a thing that was "horrible" so it's fine to sing a hateful song about him and his wife..

To me it is a song of hate. No different to other hate filled songs other teams sing. I wish we were above that.

we are hibs
13-08-2018, 06:58 AM
It’s either unacceptable to sing about people’s ill health or it isn’t.

It's not as black and white as that. Mercer is one of the worst people to ever be involved in Scottish football. A complete cretin who tried to kill our football club. What has Alan Stubbs done to even be close to that for hearts and rangers fans to sing about him? Also I don't think any songs about Mercer, certainly the ones I have heard have ever referenced his "poor health". More the fact he's dead.p

Smartie
13-08-2018, 07:05 AM
It's a good thing we saw St Mirren alright for the John McGinn cash.

Their board could make ours look pretty weak by coming out in full support of Alan Stubbs and condemning the sickening abuse aimed at their manager, something ours has failed to do for successive managers.

JimBHibees
13-08-2018, 07:07 AM

That is brilliant. :faf:

Billy Whizz
13-08-2018, 08:10 AM

Their board could make ours look pretty weak by coming out in full support of Alan Stubbs and condemning the sickening abuse aimed at their manager, something ours has failed to do for successive managers.

Where are you reading this

calumhibee1
13-08-2018, 08:39 AM

Agree. Is it as bad as some of the stuff that’s sung elsewhere? Maybe not. I’d much rather we didn’t sing about a guy being dead though to be honest, no matter what happened in the past.

Smartie
13-08-2018, 08:49 AM
Where are you reading this

Which part?

Hibs didn't comment on any of the abuse aimed at either Stubbs or Lennon any time we've been to Ibrox, abuse that has (seemingly) continued now Stubbs is at St Mirren.

I'm not necessarily saying they should - if Stubbs and Lennon themselves don't massively object then I'm not sure our board should, but all I'm saying is that by pointing out the glaringly obvious, St Mirren could make us look a bit weak.

Billy Whizz
13-08-2018, 08:53 AM
Which part?

Hibs didn't comment on any of the abuse aimed at either Stubbs or Lennon any time we've been to Ibrox, abuse that has (seemingly) continued now Stubbs is at St Mirren.

I'm not necessarily saying they should - if Stubbs and Lennon themselves don't massively object then I'm not sure our board should, but all I'm saying is that by pointing out the glaringly obvious, St Mirren could make us look a bit weak.

The bit you said that the St Mirren board have come out and condemned it

Danderhall Hibs
13-08-2018, 08:55 AM
The bit you said that the St Mirren board have come out and condemned it

He didn’t say that - he said they “could” make our board look weak “if”...

Billy Whizz
13-08-2018, 08:58 AM
He didn’t say that - he said they “could” make our board look weak “if”...

Must have been the way I read it

Doesn’t this sound familiar
https://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php?/topic/45478-rangers-extra-seating/&page=1

Danderhall Hibs
13-08-2018, 09:01 AM

https://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php?/topic/45478-rangers-extra-seating/&page=1

:agree: horrible club and horrible fans.

I remember that the fans reps were taking our complaints away but I don’t remember reading the update?

Smartie
13-08-2018, 09:04 AM

If our fans reps aren't going to do anything about it by themselves, maybe they can get together with fans of other clubs and try to do something?

This is totally unacceptable and something needs to be done.

Bostonhibby
13-08-2018, 09:15 AM

It's probably a bit irrational but I won't be criticising any Hibby from that era who sees Mercer as fair game though I abhor the Skacel song, the Edinburgh song and anything else of that ilk. Mercer wasn't a football person, he was a typical tory chancer of that sad period in time who wasn't shy at using other peoples money / friendly bank credit to make a buck- If he never had his lines of credit and associates with the same aim he'd not have got off the ground. Hearts were in debt then, had a severe ground maintenance issue and Mercer wasn't putting any new money in.

The buck here was ER's higher development value and the ease with which he and his chums could get at it compared to Tynecastle (we only have to look at the mess it is today to appreciate how hard it would have been for him to turn a shilling out of it).

If you look at his choice of partners in the scam it's not too hard to see it for what it actually was. Once the bank withdrew funding the game was up, the opportunity to cash in was gone, so shortly after was Mercer.

We probably have him to thank for expanding then enshrining the financial model they have ran on since, it ultimately led to them having to put themselves into administration and left them having to live with the awful stigma of having bumped the high profile charities and public bodies they did. All because, as in Mercers day it was okay to use money that wasn't theirs to use in pursuit of an illusion. It's been the Hearts way for as long as I can remember.

They were in a hole before and after his involvement but I'm happy that he set the tone for the culture of compliance / belief and ultimately denial that Vlad exploited so expertly while they stood by, they like a good talker spending somebody elses money.

WeeRussell
13-08-2018, 10:44 AM
It's not as black and white as that. Mercer is one of the worst people to ever be involved in Scottish football. A complete cretin who tried to kill our football club. What has Alan Stubbs done to even be close to that for hearts and rangers fans to sing about him? Also I don't think any songs about Mercer, certainly the ones I have heard have ever referenced his "poor health". More the fact he's dead.p

I don't disagree that Wallace Mercer was far more dislikeable human being than Alan Stubbs (who I absolutely adore :greengrin). I also would say that the levels and volume of these, shall we say, 'bad taste' songs are on a different scale at Ibrox.. or wherever their gang of neanderthals happen to be travelling to.

However, I fully disagree that we can be so up in arms and calling for condemnation of the above**.. while defending some of the **** that comes from our own fans just because Stubbs is a nicer guy.

There definitely have been songs about his ill-health. Although most of them are simple "he's deid" efforts.

They're all poor and shouldn't be sung at all, in my opinion.

**To clarify, I DO think it's right to condemn the huns' behaviour... but don't pretend it'd be alright if the target 'deserves' it.

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-08-2018, 10:53 AM

Someones health cannae get any worse than that!

WestStandWillie
13-08-2018, 11:11 AM
Absolutely nowt wrong with Mercer song.

May it be belted out every time we play those frauds :agree::agree::agree:

bigwheel
13-08-2018, 11:19 AM
Absolutely nowt wrong with Mercer song.

May it be belted out every time we play those frauds :agree::agree::agree:

If that’s your view , then I assume you don’t mind any hate fuelled songs for any other club ? Or is it one rule for us and one for the others ?

Sean1875
13-08-2018, 11:26 AM
I'm sorry but if you don't see anything wrong with singing a song with the line "No its not a shame, hope he died in pain" then that is really troubling.

Smartie
13-08-2018, 11:31 AM
Mercer songs were fair game whilst he was still alive and it wasn't unreasonable to make a point in the immediate aftermath of his death.

It's not relevant to anything any more though, and I just wish we could stop it now.

Itsnoteasy
13-08-2018, 11:36 AM
If that’s your view , then I assume you don’t mind any hate fuelled songs for any other club ? Or is it one rule for us and one for the others ?

We used to sing a couple of other songs with the hate word in it.

We hate Glasgow Rangers we hate Celtic 2, you will probably know the rest.

We f****n hate Jam Tarts repeated over & over.

Just change the hate word to "we don't like"

bigwheel
13-08-2018, 11:39 AM
We used to sing a couple of other songs with the hate word in it.

We hate Glasgow Rangers we hate Celtic 2, you will probably know the rest.

We f****n hate Jam Tarts repeated over & over.

Just change the hate word to "we don't like"

There is a nastiness to the Mercer songs (and Skatcel) that are different from others we sing

I used to think we Hibs fans would rise above all that real nastiness - With these songs , we are just the same as the other we moan about on here ..

Chorley Hibee
13-08-2018, 11:47 AM

Our silence is part of the problem, and gives tacit approval to this stain on Scottish society.

silverhibee
13-08-2018, 12:00 PM
:agree: horrible club and horrible fans.

I remember that the fans reps were taking our complaints away but I don’t remember reading the update?

If I remember correctly we were told that Leeann was dealing with it herself, can't remember if anything was done though.

Chorley Hibee
13-08-2018, 12:05 PM
If I remember correctly we were told that Leeann was dealing with it herself, can't remember if anything was done though.

I've made countless journeys through there in the past few years, and absolutely none of our concerns have been addressed by either the authorities or Hibernian FC.

I wrote the club a detailed email of my experiences before, during and after the boxing day game a few years ago, and to this day I've still not received a reply.

It pains me to say it, but our club (and countless others) have no intention of addressing this, and the matter now lies solely within our own hands.

Sammy7nil
13-08-2018, 12:16 PM
I don't disagree that Wallace Mercer was far more dislikeable human being than Alan Stubbs (who I absolutely adore :greengrin). I also would say that the levels and volume of these, shall we say, 'bad taste' songs are on a different scale at Ibrox.. or wherever their gang of neanderthals happen to be travelling to.

However, I fully disagree that we can be so up in arms and calling for condemnation of the above**.. while defending some of the **** that comes from our own fans just because Stubbs is a nicer guy.

There definitely have been songs about his ill-health. Although most of them are simple "he's deid" efforts.

They're all poor and shouldn't be sung at all, in my opinion.

**To clarify, I DO think it's right to condemn the huns' behaviour... but don't pretend it'd be alright if the target 'deserves' it.

There is a nastiness to the Mercer songs (and Skatcel) that are different from others we sing

I used to think we Hibs fans would rise above all that real nastiness - With these songs , we are just the same as the other we moan about on here ..

I've made countless journeys through there in the past few years, and absolutely none of our concerns have been addressed by either the authorities or Hibernian FC.

I wrote the club a detailed email of my experiences before, during and after the boxing day game a few years ago, and to this day I've still not received a reply.

It pains me to say it, but our club (and countless others) have no intention of addressing this, and the matter now lies solely within our own hands.

I agree with all of the above other than the bit in bold as i am not sure what that means :confused:

Chorley Hibee
13-08-2018, 12:21 PM
I agree with all of the above other than the bit in bold as i am not sure what that means :confused:

Our supporters representatives should be leading the way on this, and be more vocal on the matter via every platform available.

Boycotts should also be considered, and again being as vocal as can be with regards the reasoning behind such a stance.

silverhibee
13-08-2018, 12:22 PM
:agree: For anything to change, it has to be fans led. We've seen the authorities sheite themselves over and over again with this lot, and the others ones.

Until such times as we the fans make a stance, and boycott their ground and ban them from ours, nothing will change.

Sometimes doing the right thing for the right reasons is the right way to go, we've tried all the other ways, we've tried to let those in charge run the game properly, but they are just too scared to do anything about it.

It wont happen though, we will just sweep this under the carpet as we have done since i can remember.

There is only one group who can do anything about it G, Scottish Police, but they seem to be turning a blind eye to what happens regards Celtc and the rangers fans, home and away all over Scotland, stabbings, assaults happening every game regards them, and the sectarian pish that is sung by them, mainly at away games where we can all hear it quite clearly as it is broadcasted over the tv, no one should be above the law, time for Scottish police to have serious words with the SPFL and tell them to get there members to get things sorted before someone is killed attending a game through in Glasgow.

WhileTheChief..
13-08-2018, 12:26 PM
Our supporters representatives should be leading the way on this, and be more vocal on the matter via every platform available.

Boycotts should also be considered, and again being as vocal as can be with regards the reasoning behind such a stance.

Are you saying that Hibs fans that want to go to Ibrox or Parkhead shouldn’t go?

Good luck with that. I’ll not be paying any attention to any kind of boycott.

It’s a few songs that I’ve heard for decades. I’m not gonna start getting offended now. Sorry.

Chorley Hibee
13-08-2018, 12:31 PM
Are you saying that Hibs fans that want to go to Ibrox or Parkhead shouldn’t go?

Good luck with that. I’ll not be paying any attention to any kind of boycott.

It’s a few songs that I’ve heard for decades. I’m not gonna start getting offended now. Sorry.

Of course, that's entirely your right and I wouldn't force this stance upon anyone.

The problem is never going to be addressed though by discussions on a message board, only collective action taken by fellow supporters will force the issue.

As recent stories have shown, it's a lot more than a few songs too.