PDA

View Full Version : Player Ratings V Molde

calumhibee1
09-08-2018, 10:13 PM
Laidlaw - 7 - Very little (nothing possibly even?) to do. Distribution was pretty good.

Efe - 9 - Absolutely superb tonight. Strolled it and started off attacks well
Porteous - 8 - Played very well against a handful of a forward. Got caught going for one or two balls he couldn't win but that'll come with experience, other than that he was very good.
Hanlon - 7 - Just another day at the office for Hanlon, played well

Gray - 9 - Great engine, great in the air, great in the tackle and offered a good threat going forward. What a guy. That raking crossfield switch we regularly play from Hanlon (& formerly McGinn :boo hoo:) is a great weapon to have.
Slivka - 6 - Thought he was average. Not involved enough and didn't do enough to influence the game either defensively or offensively.
Bartley - 8 - Worried a wee bit that he'd be left chasing shadows but he played very well. Dominant in the middle
Mallan - 8 - What a strike he's got on him, was so unlucky with his shot that hit the bar and had a couple other decent efforts. Long range passing looks effortless.
Stevenson - 7 - Same as Hanlon, solid, just another day at the office. Didn't offer as much going forward as he usually can

Flo - 6 - Pretty quiet evening for the big man with no chances coming his way. Put himself about a bit but not his best game.
Boyle - 7 - A handful as always and plenty running. Unlucky not to get a goal but striker isn't his position IMO.

Hyndman - 6 - Didn't get a lot of chances to show what he can do but looks very neat and tidy on the ball. Looks like he'll be able to carry the ball well and he done well to read Grays knock down and was unlucky not to tuck it away
Shaw - 6 - Done OK although he took too long after Hyndman played him the ball just inside the box and the chance was gone. Never got much opportunity to do much else
Maclaren - No point rating him, was only on 2 mins.

The Harp Awakes
09-08-2018, 11:10 PM
Laidlaw - 7 - Very little (nothing possibly even?) to do. Distribution was pretty good.

Porteous - 8 - Played very well against a handful of a forward. Got caught going for one or two balls he couldn't win but that'll come with experience, other than that he was very good.

Gray - 9 - Great engine, great in the air, great in the tackle and offered a good threat going forward. What a guy. That raking crossfield switch we regularly play from Hanlon (& formerly McGinn :boo hoo:) is a great weapon to have.
Slivka - 6 - Thought he was average. Not involved enough and didn't do enough to influence the game either defensively or offensively.
Bartley - 8 - Worried a wee bit that he'd be left chasing shadows but he played very well. Dominant in the middle
Mallan - 8 - What a strike he's got on him, was so unlucky with his shot that hit the bar and had a couple other decent efforts. Long range passing looks effortless.
Stevenson - 7 - Same as Hanlon, solid, just another day at the office. Didn't offer as much going forward as he usually can

Flo - 6 - Pretty quiet evening for the big man with no chances coming his way. Put himself about a bit but not his best game.
Boyle - 7 - A handful as always and plenty running. Unlucky not to get a goal but striker isn't his position IMO.

Hyndman - 6 - Didn't get a lot of chances to show what he can do but looks very neat and tidy on the ball. Looks like he'll be able to carry the ball well and he done well to read Grays knock down and was unlucky not to tuck it away
Shaw - 6 - Done OK although he took too long after Hyndman played him the ball just inside the box and the chance was gone. Never got much opportunity to do much else

Pretty much spot on. 6s too high for subs probably as not enough time to show much. Slivka is an enigma to me. Looked really good in the 1st half and totally disappeared in the 2nd. There's a player there but seems very inconsistent.

Brooster
09-08-2018, 11:21 PM
Efe absolutely superb. Why play Bartley for 80 mins in a game we had to win?

calumhibee1
09-08-2018, 11:24 PM

I wouldn’t say we had to win it. A win would have put us in a great position but not conceding an away goal still gives us a shout. Conceding away goals can be lethal in European games.

SRHibs
09-08-2018, 11:24 PM
Slivka is the man.

murray26
09-08-2018, 11:29 PM
Ryan and Martin was my two stand outs but notable mentions to SDG and the much maligned Efe.. we’re still in this .. good luck to the traveling support.. wish I was one of them..

Dashing Bob S
09-08-2018, 11:34 PM

After to Greek first leg first half debacle, not conceding was important. 0-0 at home not the worst result in Europe these days.

Col_0762
09-08-2018, 11:37 PM

What’s your rating for Lennon? Curious as we all thought things needed changing before 77 minutes.

MWHIBBIES
09-08-2018, 11:38 PM
Slivka was good, lovely touches all night. Our best chance (Boyle) was from his pass. Was better than Mallan and Marv IMO

Unseen work
10-08-2018, 12:02 AM
Laidlaw - 0 or 10 - who knows, had absolutely nothing to do

Ambrose - 8 - Brilliant tonight and showed much needed composure
Porteous - 8 - good performance for his age and the stage, couple of shakey moments but it’s to be expected
Hanlon -7- Pretty standard day for him, passing not as good as normal

Gray - 7- Absolutely solid and full of energy, always a threat at their goal too
Mallan -8- Passing and long shots are outstanding. Pressed the game well
Bartley -7- Done his job well against a tough quick team
Slivka -7- Really good in spells, has obvious quality. Just needs to take the game by the scruff of the neck more
Stevenson -7- standard solid Lewy

Kamberi -6- quite poor from him but was obviously carrying a knock
Boyle -7- not much to go on, not surprise his best moments came on the right hand side where he could run at folk from deep

Molde - 7 - Very good technical team. When they have the ball they have an interesting style where they sort of have 5 back and 5 pile forward leaving a massive gap in midfield, their deepest midfielder then steps into midfield and from there they play very neat triangle passes around us. Maybe a bit too confidence on the ball and we can make them pay away from home, never seemed to have a cutting edge to their play.

hfc rd
10-08-2018, 12:19 AM
I think Kamberi was isolated up top. Boyle isn’t a striker. Needed someone like a Jamie Maclaren up front with him who plays on the shoulder and a creative attacking player like Scott Allan just behind supplying him the ball.

I felt Maclaren should have been brought on much earlier. Don’t know what the reason was for bringing him on for the last 30 seconds?

SMAXXA
10-08-2018, 12:48 AM

Certainly no a game we had to win imo, clean sheet is the win from tonight for me, even if they go ahead over there we know one goal is all we need which will probably make them a bit edgy and recon we are more than capable of scoring.

If we won 2-1 tonight I’d probably be more worried in crazy way as that away goal is a killer.

houstonhibbee
10-08-2018, 12:49 AM

did we have to win more than stopping them getting an away goal?

Onceinawhile
10-08-2018, 06:30 AM

We didn't have to win it. The last three away results we've had in Europe would see us through (1-1, 6-4, 1-0)

S4uzee
10-08-2018, 06:49 AM

You really don’t like Marv do you

calumhibee1
10-08-2018, 06:52 AM
What’s your rating for Lennon? Curious as we all thought things needed changing before 77 minutes.

Would probably give Lennon a 7. Thought we were solid if a bit unspectacular yesterday but not conceding an away goal against a very handy side is a decent outcome. If we’d get the goal we probably deserved I would have had him up to an 8. I agree about changing it though, I felt we waited a wee bit long.

we are hibs
10-08-2018, 07:26 AM
Slivka was good, lovely touches all night. Our best chance (Boyle) was from his pass. Was better than Mallan and Marv IMO

In the first half I would agree but thought he was rarely involved in the second half. I think you have 3 opposites in the midfield at the minute. Bartley is good at breaking up play whereas mallan and slivka aren't. Slivka is neat and tidy and will run up and down the park all day but Bartley and mallan probably won't do as much running and mallan can make any time he has the ball within 35 yards of goal a chance and can play the long raking pass mcginn could do where slivka and Bartley probably couldn't. I still think overall we lack pace in the middle and lack a bit of drive and grit.

SRHibs
10-08-2018, 07:29 AM
In the first half I would agree but thought he was rarely involved in the second half. I think you have 3 opposites in the midfield at the minute. Bartley is good at breaking up play whereas mallan and slivka aren't. Slivka is neat and tidy and will run up and down the park all day but Bartley and mallan probably won't do as much running and mallan can make any time he has the ball within 35 yards of goal a chance and can play the long raking pass mcginn could do where slivka and Bartley probably couldn't. I still think overall we lack pace in the middle and lack a bit of drive and grit.

Slivka could definitely play those passes IMO - maybe his vision is lacking a bit, but the quality is there, unlike Bartley who is a very basic passer of the ball. I think distribution is one of the strongest parts of Slivka’s game, and he made a few really clever passes last night.

SlickShoes
10-08-2018, 07:31 AM
Slivka is a good footballer, he’s been here a year and due to last years midfield duo he never got a run of games, now he has a chance so let’s let him take it instead of nit picking and trying to find things wrong with him because he’s not John Mcginn

anon1875
10-08-2018, 07:39 AM
I thought Slivka's passing was good but he's not as tenacious as Mallan and big Bartley without the ball. I thought we tried to rush things to often last night and really struggled to keep hold of the ball. That could be down to how well Molde pressed us though.

There big striker was really good at holding the ball in and bringing others in to play without actually causing us much damage. I thought we had the better chances though although they had more of the ball.

we are hibs
10-08-2018, 07:45 AM
Slivka is a good footballer, he’s been here a year and due to last years midfield duo he never got a run of games, now he has a chance so let’s let him take it instead of nit picking and trying to find things wrong with him because he’s not John Mcginn

Absolutely no one is doing that though are they? There isn't a single hibs player who hasn't had his faults there is no point in ignoring them. I like slivka and wanted to see him given more of an opportunity last season. I think he's technically very good and is a very neat footballer who will grow with game time but I just think he needs to improve the accuracy of his longer passes and needs to try and stay involved in the game unlike last night where imo apart from one through ball he wasnt involved much in the second half. Giving your opinion on where you think a player needs to improve isn't nit picking.

WeeRussell
10-08-2018, 07:47 AM
We didn't have to win it. The last three away results we've had in Europe would see us through (1-1, 6-4, 1-0)

Exactly. Would have been nice to nick a 1-0 and really put them under pressure for the away leg - but I’m delighted we are still very much in this, as if I’m honest I was concerned the tie would be all but over after the first leg.

allezsauzee
10-08-2018, 07:59 AM
Wouldn't disagree too much with the OP's analysis. I was a bit disappointed Vykintas faded out of it a bit after being much more involved early on. He's undoubtedly a talented lad but I'd say he's more McGinlay than McGinn. Can see him bagging a few with his late runs into the box.

Smartie
10-08-2018, 08:02 AM
I don't really agree with any of the more extreme comments or ratings on last night's performance.

It was a fairly solid and a fairly unspectacular performance. I didn't think anyone was outstanding or brilliant and I didn't think anyone was even close to being poor. It was a solid 6 or7 out of 10 performance from everyone in a fairly tight, fairly reasonable team performance.

I was struggling to pick a man of the match, but that's not because I didn't think anyone played well - I just thought they were all pretty decent and depending on what you like to see in a game you could have made a case for just about any of them.

Stevie Reid
10-08-2018, 08:37 AM
I'm convinced that if John McGinn had put in a performance exactly the same as Slivka did last night, no one would come out with a single word of criticism. I think his quality is obvious, he shows some lovely touches and has an eye for a pass, strikes a ball well with both feet, and isn't shy to have a shot at goal.

He hasn't put in a good full 90 minutes yet, but I'm sure that will come. I can understand people saying that he can drift in and out of games a bit, but I find it pretty staggering that some are going as far as saying that he was disappointing, or poor.

Smartie
10-08-2018, 08:39 AM
I'm convinced that if John McGinn had put in a performance exactly the same as Slivka did last night, no one would come out with a single word of criticism. I think his quality is obvious, he shows some lovely touches and has an eye for a pass, strikes a ball well with both feet, and isn't shy to have a shot at goal.

He hasn't put in a good full 90 minutes yet, but I'm sure that will come. I can understand people saying that he can drift in and out of games a bit, but I find it pretty staggering that some are going as far as saying that he was disappointing, or poor.

I didn't notice John McGinn for about the first 40 minutes in Greece, then he bossed the rest of the game.

Slivka was fine last night.

SRHibs
10-08-2018, 08:40 AM

👏

Stevie Reid
10-08-2018, 08:41 AM
I didn't notice John McGinn for about the first 40 minutes in Greece, then he bossed the rest of the game.

Slivka was fine last night.

Yep, up until the goal.

Slivka was the reverse in Greece.

500miles
10-08-2018, 08:48 AM
Slivka needs to be more aggressive and drive forward more. He's got it in his game, but it's that little bit of drive and grit he's currently lacking. A few games against the bottom six teams will give him the opportunity to get comfortable with that I think.

Smartie
10-08-2018, 08:52 AM
Slivka needs to be more aggressive and drive forward more. He's got it in his game, but it's that little bit of drive and grit he's currently lacking. A few games against the bottom six teams will give him the opportunity to get comfortable with that I think.

I tend to agree with this.

He showed it on Sunday (then his end-product was a bit poorer).

McGinn had great physical and technical ability but a lot of his greatest qualities were mental, and I think that's where he's currently several levels above Slivka - bravery, courage, belief and confidence to get on the ball and use the physical and technical assets he clearly has.

Slivka looks a wee bit tentative, something you could never ever say about McGinn.

This can be sorted by playing in his best position regularly and getting a few more solid performances under his belt.

SeanWilson
10-08-2018, 09:14 AM

I also thought it took forever for subs but hey... What do I know! NL has massive experience in European football and I'm happy letting him make the decisions 😉

Shrekko
10-08-2018, 09:36 AM
This campaign will be of great benefit to the players.

It’s a pity we didn’t score but I thought not looking like losing a goal against a team of their pedigree was good going.