PDA

View Full Version : NHC Jason Cummings - Thoughts?

cjward2
09-08-2018, 10:01 PM
I was just thinking about the players from our cup winning team and those who have moved on. Some I am not too bothered about (Fyvie, Stokes) and others I miss (Hendo, SJM and Jason Cummings)
I think that Hendo and SJM have moved on to really interesting challenges, but what about the Cumdog? Did he drink from the poisoned chalice? Is he now destined to head the way of some of our other talented players of the past :hmmm: (Deek, Gaz)
What are your thoughts? Is there a way back into the spotlight for Cummings, or is it now a steady downward slope in what could have been a good career, or... is it still too soon to tell. After all what is he 22-23?

houstonhibbee
09-08-2018, 10:04 PM
I was just thinking about the players from our cup winning team and those who have moved on. Some I am not too bothered about (Fyvie, Stokes) and others I miss (Hendo, SJM and Jason Cummings)
I think that Hendo and SJM have moved on to really interesting challenges, but what about the Cumdog? Did he drink from the poisoned chalice? Is he now destined to head the way of some of our other talented players of the past :hmmm: (Deek, Gaz)
What are your thoughts? Is there a way back into the spotlight for Cummings, or is it now a steady downward slope in what could have been a good career, or... is it still too soon to tell. After all what is he 22-23?

He came to mind watching the game tonight. Could he have sneaked one in???
Happy with what we have though...........

Since90+2
09-08-2018, 10:07 PM
The forwards were not the issue tonight. We didn't have enough creativity in the middle of the park.

lapsedhibee
09-08-2018, 10:08 PM

Already played at the highest level he can, as he's really not that good a footballer - no-where near Riordan's talent :tin hat:

Hi Heid Yin
09-08-2018, 10:12 PM
I lost track of Jason after his "Hun" sojourn.
Who is he now playing for and is he a starter?

Unseen work
09-08-2018, 10:16 PM
Don’t think he would start ahead of Kamberi or MacLaren tbh.

Hope he does well at Peterborough none the less.

Bostonhibby
09-08-2018, 10:20 PM
Next door neighbour is a Posh fan - Asked him this morning how Jason did against Bristol Rovers. Said nowhere near match fit, blowing out his.... for most of the second half, too early to judge as apart from one decent pass didn't really show anything but Posh apparently have a better striker out on loan.....

calumhibee1
09-08-2018, 10:20 PM
Still love the guy, gave us some great memories. I do however think he'll be back up the road over the next couple of years and it'll probably be to a Dundee or Motherwell as I think we're probably a level above him now.

Sir David Gray
09-08-2018, 10:30 PM
I lost track of Jason after his "Hun" sojourn.
Who is he now playing for and is he a starter?

He's on loan to Peterborough now and yes he started last weekend.

Nevi_SOL
09-08-2018, 10:35 PM
Na you’re alright. Better options there would rather have oli

CMurdoch
09-08-2018, 10:50 PM
Left Hibs way to early.
Good goal scorer but the rest of his game was nowhere near good enough to make a go of it in the Championship.
Will be back up the road.

Stevie Reid
09-08-2018, 10:58 PM
Far too early to write Cummings off. Be interested to see how he gets on at Peterborough.

murray26
09-08-2018, 11:01 PM
He’s no coming back but good luck in the future Jason

BILLYHIBS
09-08-2018, 11:06 PM
......Next!

Hi Heid Yin
09-08-2018, 11:14 PM
He's on loan to Peterborough now and yes he started last weekend.

Cheers bud.:aok:

SmashinGlass
09-08-2018, 11:32 PM
Already played at the highest level he can, as he's really not that good a footballer - no-where near Riordan's talent :tin hat:

Don’t think you’re wrong with this. Lennon clearly saw him as key to getting us up, but reality is he’s actually not that good.

Col_0762
09-08-2018, 11:35 PM
Next door neighbour is a Posh fan - Asked him this morning how Jason did against Bristol Rovers. Said nowhere near match fit, blowing out his.... for most of the second half, too early to judge as apart from one decent pass didn't really show anything but Posh apparently have a better striker out on loan.....

Really? He’s credited with an assist last weekend via SPN? I see it live on the telly. Well the commentery. But a Posh fan knowing nothing about football is not suprising if you’ve ever listened to TalkSport.

Dashing Bob S
09-08-2018, 11:37 PM
I think he’s taken over from Riordan as the go-to guy for the ‘anybody think he can still do a job for us’ thread subject.

Unseen work
10-08-2018, 12:09 AM
Really? He’s credited with an assist last weekend via SPN? I see it live on the telly. Well the commentery. But a Posh fan knowing nothing about football is not suprising if you’ve ever listened to TalkSport.

Giving him an assist for that is generous to say the least.

The Green Goblin
10-08-2018, 05:00 AM
I think he’s taken over from Riordan as the go-to guy for the ‘anybody think he can still do a job for us’ thread subject.

:greengrin. Watch this space (for the next twenty years)

lucky
10-08-2018, 05:06 AM
The guy scored goals for fun even though he was not the best team player. I hope he gets his career going again as he’s at his third club since he left Hibs and really needs to start performing or he’ll end up like Tony Watt drifting from club to club showing a little but never returning to the standard that made him.

Toldo123
10-08-2018, 05:32 AM
Left Hibs way to early.
Good goal scorer but the rest of his game was nowhere near good enough to make a go of it in the Championship.
Will be back up the road.That about sums it up

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Winston Ingram
10-08-2018, 05:35 AM

Cummings was always going to struggle.

He can only play in a front 2 and no clubs that play at a high level play that way.

He has a fantastic left foot and is a cracking finisher but until he learns to hold the ball up and use his right foot, he’s destined to play out his career outside the big leagues and the top clubs

Forza Fred
10-08-2018, 06:10 AM
Cummings was always going to struggle.

He can only play in a front 2 and no clubs that play at a high level play that way.

He has a fantastic left foot and is a cracking finisher but until he learns to hold the ball up and use his right foot, he’s destined to play out his career outside the big leagues and the top clubs

Can see him being at Tynecastle at the start of next season.

Thecat23
10-08-2018, 06:19 AM
Jason is a strange one. He’s not one for taking football to seriously and sometimes that’s not a bad thing. But at 22 he really should be kicking on now. His ability to score some outrageous goals proves he can do it. Although talent wise I’m not sure he has much. Likes to cut in edge of the box and let fly.

Still feel he’ll end up back in Scotland with a Killie or St. Johnstone.

Nameless
10-08-2018, 06:48 AM
He is a maverick, and clearly knows the way to goal. Everywhere he has been he has scored, so his ability as a finisher is beyond question. Unfortunately, nobody wants an out and out finisher these days - the era of the poacher has passed. He would have flourished had he played in the 80's and 90's, but he doesn't play enough "football" for him to succeed at the higher levels of the modern game. I think League One in England or a mid table team in the Scottish Prem is his future, which ain't bad, as he will still earn more money than practically everyone on this message board.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Bostonhibby
10-08-2018, 07:12 AM
Really? He’s credited with an assist last weekend via SPN? I see it live on the telly. Well the commentery. But a Posh fan knowing nothing about football is not suprising if you’ve ever listened to TalkSport.Just sharing what someone who really does know his football and was there thought. Maybe the assist was what he meant.

Take a wee look at posh forum as well.

Incidentally you'll find no bigger fan of Jason than me but I'm concerned the trajectory he's on might see him spiral downwards further towards gorgie. Posh isn't a step up.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

we are hibs
10-08-2018, 07:16 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up back at hearts.

SRHibs
10-08-2018, 07:17 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up back at hearts.

I actually think he’s gonna have to drop down further if Peterborough is a failure. Lower SPL (wages, not position, or Hearts would be perfect) or top Championship.

.Sean.
10-08-2018, 07:19 AM
Absolute stick on to end up at Hearts. Personally I stopped caring after his embarrassing attempts to fit in at the Huns

Stuart93
10-08-2018, 07:22 AM
I still think he left us too early. Could've had a pop at the premiership with us.

makaveli1875
10-08-2018, 08:42 AM
Absolute stick on to end up at Hearts. Personally I stopped caring after his embarrassing attempts to fit in at the Huns

This

Jack Hackett
10-08-2018, 08:43 AM
Possibly another of those players who are a fit for one club only?

cleanyman
10-08-2018, 08:46 AM
Will have a good football career as a journeyman.

No shame in that.

PapillonVert
10-08-2018, 08:48 AM
We've moved on. He was a very good Championship player but our current ambitions are higher.

Wish the boy well, though.

Generally speaking, with few exceptions, I am not in favour of taking back players who have chosen to leave but who seem to think that there will always be a place for them at ER should things not work out elsewhere.

J-C
10-08-2018, 08:49 AM
He was a championship striker and unproven in the SPL, apart from his goals he doesn't really offer anything else. suffers from over confidence in his own ability and was quick to scoot off to England after putting in a buy out clause in his contract extension, money was his main priority. Quickly sussed out at Nottingham and now playing in League 1 akin to our championship, enough said.

GRA
10-08-2018, 10:48 AM
Did well for us and recall him scoring some screamers in big games v Aberdeen, Huns and had the handy knack of regularly scoring against the Jambos. But never proved himself at SPL level (two goals for the Huns in 6 months backs that up). Wish him well but can't see him getting back to his 2015-17 goalscoring form anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Ritchie
10-08-2018, 12:59 PM
The forwards were not the issue tonight. We didn't have enough creativity in the middle of the park.

EH?!?! i must have watched a different game!

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-08-2018, 01:01 PM
Playing regularly in League One down South would be a good grounding to rebuild his career. Even though a million pounds or whatever he went for is still a big deal up here, it is just a low risk punt for most teams in the Championship. It is up to him to pull it around though.

Jim44
10-08-2018, 01:07 PM
As far as Hibs are concerned : https://youtu.be/W6N3o4TDYsI

Chic Murray
10-08-2018, 02:00 PM
He's another Scott Crabbe.

Pretty Boy
10-08-2018, 02:17 PM
Left us too soon.

He improved year on year at Hibs. Some players reach a point at which that progression starts to 'stagnate', Steven Fletcher may be an example, and they need a new challenge. I'm not convinced Cummings had reached that point. As talented a goalscorer as he was I think there was plenty room for improvement across his game and that hasn't happened on the bench at Forest or making the same mistakes in a poor Rangers team.

He may well kick on by playing regularly at Peterborough and step up again, he might end up back at the like of Hearts or Aberdeen or he might be on a downward slide. No one really knows. I don't think we have massively missed him tbh, we seem to generate goals from across the board now whereas with JC it seemed to be we had one focal point.

weecounty hibby
10-08-2018, 02:24 PM
Motherwell, St J, Killie, Dundee will be his level in future imo. Don't think he'll sign for hearts while Levein is manager as he isn't tall enough nor works hard enough. Don't think McIness would take him at Aberdeen either. Wouldn't get in before Flo, Jamie or Oli at Hibs at the moment. Should have stayed at Hibs, improved his all round game and then looked to see what his prospects were

SingaporeHibs
10-08-2018, 02:47 PM
He could read a game and be in the right place at the right time which is a talent in itself. Same could be said for his career, was at the right place at the right time, we were at an all time Low when he got his opportunity with us and that was the only reason he is where he got to. Once Stubbs got the team together goals were laid on a plate for him and he still missed too many in the Championship. (To be fair he scored a few crackers as well).
If he was still a young kid now trying to break through at our club he wouldn’t be anywhere near the starting 11. I fear his best days are already behind him. He’ll be back in Scotland before long and struggling to hold down a starting position in the bottom 6 at best. More likely in the Championship.

Northernhibee
10-08-2018, 03:04 PM
Would have him back any day. A striker that scores goals.

jacomo
10-08-2018, 03:21 PM
I still think he left us too early. Could've had a pop at the premiership with us.

:agree:

Folk seem quick to write him off. His career has stalled but he’s still young and has potential to improve.

He does have an instinct for scoring goals, which is a valuable commodity.

MoscowHibs
10-08-2018, 03:24 PM
[QUOTE=lapsedhibee;5507548]Already played at the highest level he can, as he's really not that good a footballer - no-where near Riordan's talent

Very few were sadly or are to this day.

hibee_girl
11-08-2018, 02:29 PM
Just scored for Peterbourgh

Allant1981
11-08-2018, 02:31 PM
the guy can score goals, never going to be a world beater but will have a decent career, probably wouldnt have him at the club now as i dont think he would start but good to see him playing and scoring again(glad its not the rangers this time)

ancient hibee
11-08-2018, 02:47 PM
Close range header.

Smartie
11-08-2018, 03:01 PM
Legend who scored a bucketload for us and I'm sure will score goals everywhere he goes.

He deserves much more gratitude and respect than he is getting here.

HibbyAndy
11-08-2018, 03:01 PM

Nah Crabbe never scored a derby goal ever

Stevie Reid
11-08-2018, 03:06 PM
Legend who scored a bucketload for us and I'm sure will score goals everywhere he goes.

Once again, I totally agree!

JimBHibees
11-08-2018, 03:09 PM

Totally agree his record in Derby games should merit that on its own.

JimBHibees
11-08-2018, 03:11 PM

What was his Derby record like in comparison?

Centre Hawf
11-08-2018, 03:36 PM
Before having signed Maclaren I would have jumped at bringing JC back. Hope he goes on to bang them in and ends up back in the Championship

Onceinawhile
11-08-2018, 09:25 PM

Agree with this. Just like SJM did. Benefitted and then got a good move as a regular whereas jc went as a speculative punt.

Wish him all the best unless he plays against us. 6 months at the huns or three years (and a wedge of goals) with us and a Scottish Cup winners medal? I know which I'll remember him for

lord bunberry
11-08-2018, 09:33 PM

Yes of course he is. And he definitely deserves more gratitude than he gets on here. I remember being at tynecastle for that cup game when he scored the goal that got us back in the game. I knew at that time we’d get another one. If it wasn’t for Jason Cummings(and the rest of the squad) we wouldn’t have had the greatest day of our lives. Legend.

cjward2
11-08-2018, 09:52 PM
That generated a bit of discussion, thanks for answering my question. Sounds like we agree for the most part that although he left too soon for the money, we have moved on and no longer could really benefit from his services. I like his goofy character. We need a bit of that in the game and so I hope he comes back up the road, like many of you think, to a lower SPL team.

Onceinawhile
11-08-2018, 10:24 PM
That generated a bit of discussion, thanks for answering my question. Sounds like we agree for the most part that although he left too soon for the money, we have moved on and no longer could really benefit from his services. I like his goofy character. We need a bit of that in the game and so I hope he comes back up the road, like many of you think, to a lower SPL team.

I would have him back. However it would be as back up to j mac. Which shows just how far we've come in a year or two.

Alex Trager
11-08-2018, 10:34 PM
Can see him being at Tynecastle at the start of next season.

Since before he left us many have been convinced he will take this path. I am not sure why mind you

snooky
12-08-2018, 12:14 AM

Some players you know will go on to greater things e.g. Broony, SJM, etc. but for some reason, I've never felt that about Cumdog.

yonder1875
25-08-2018, 06:07 PM
2 goals for him today as his team remain top of League 1 in England. Fair play to the boy.

Tyler Durden
25-08-2018, 07:05 PM
2 goals for him today as his team remain top of League 1 in England. Fair play to the boy.

I think he has 6 goals in 4 games? Plus a few assists today apparently - despite the experts on here telling us that he does nothing when not scoring.

Hermit Crab and the likes must be gutted

Heckys Wheel
25-08-2018, 07:13 PM

I think he has 6 goals in 4 games? Plus a few assists today apparently - despite the experts on here telling us that he does nothing when not scoring.

Hermit Crab and the likes must be gutted

Certainly found his level in league 1.

Nameless
25-08-2018, 07:13 PM

Hermit Crab and the likes must be guttedIt's League One in England. I'm happy he is scoring, but let's not pretend he is ripping it up in a strong league.

Ryan69
25-08-2018, 07:15 PM
The fact is though....He is so much better than the third tier of football!

If he had stayed for another year...he would be playing for a good championship or even bottom of the league EPL team now.

I'm sure the money helps though.

Keyser Sauzee
25-08-2018, 08:10 PM
It's League One in England. I'm happy he is scoring, but let's not pretend he is ripping it up in a strong league.

Most SPL teams would be on a par with league one.

Nameless
25-08-2018, 08:13 PM
Most SPL teams would be on a par with league one.Really. Based on what?

bawheid
25-08-2018, 08:14 PM
Love him. Hibs legend. Sparked the comeback and killed them off at Easter Road. Lifted the Cup. Legend.

Keyser Sauzee
25-08-2018, 08:16 PM
Really. Based on what?

Just my opinion, that’s all.

Nameless
25-08-2018, 08:17 PM
Just my opinion, that’s all.Fair enough.

Ringothedog
25-08-2018, 08:21 PM
Most SPL teams would be on a par with league one.

Which teams do you think are on a par with league 1? Is it premiership teams, championship teams? You do realise there is no such thing as the SPL?

Robbo6-2
25-08-2018, 08:23 PM
Hopefully he does well down there and gets sold in summer of more money.

Surely we have some kind of sell on clause

Keyser Sauzee
25-08-2018, 08:23 PM
Which teams do you think are on a par with league 1? Is it premiership teams, championship teams? You do realise there is no such thing as the SPL?

I didn’t realise that there was no such thing as SPL, silly me, however u know the point I was trying to make.

Ringothedog
25-08-2018, 08:34 PM
I didn’t realise that there was no such thing as SPL, silly me, however u know the point I was trying to make.

Not at all, I was at the Villa v Brentford game and I would be confident of beating both, I also recently saw us take 4 off Shrewsbury and they were league 1. Our top 5 teams are a lot better than some people make out. Our middle table teams are also better than average and better than most league 1 teams. The only teams I think would struggle are St Mirren, Hamilton, Livingston and Dundee, having said that there are teams in our championship that would survive comfortably in league 1. All imho of course.

Tyler Durden
25-08-2018, 09:25 PM
It's League One in England. I'm happy he is scoring, but let's not pretend he is ripping it up in a strong league.

Yes it's League One but there's people on here telling us that Cummings would be back to Scotland soon enough and to lower half Premier team or our Championship. What with all the £1m strikers kicking about in these teams:rolleyes:

Currently looks much more likely to get himself back to the English Championship

CMurdoch
25-08-2018, 09:26 PM
IMO
Old Firm would be Newcastle in EPL
Hibs, Hearts & Aberdeen would be Championship
Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Dundee & St Johnstone would be EL1
St Mirren, Livingston & Hamilton would be EL2

2 goals & 2 assists for cumdog today

Lancs Harp
25-08-2018, 09:29 PM
My opinion. Jason looks a dick in a blue shirt :wink::greengrin

Seriously hes banging them in for a free scoring Peterborough team. He struggled a bit at Forest but doing the biz a rung lower. He's still young still developing and his bank balance has probably improved a lot.

Diclonius
25-08-2018, 09:32 PM
Hopefully he can make a career for himself down there, looks to be doing well. As long as we never see him again at Rangers or Hearts.

JimBHibees
25-08-2018, 09:33 PM

Agree good that he is proving himself down south rather than taking the easy option to come home.

SirDavidsNapper
25-08-2018, 09:33 PM
IMO

Imagine someone ploughed Man City money into one of the Glasgow clubs. Can't stand them but i reckon only Man United are bigger than those two, Liverpool maybe on a par. They'd be winning things down south pretty quickly. Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen would find their way to the Pemier league eventually. Far bigger clubs than the likes of Burnley, Bournemouth and Huddersfield.

Keyser Sauzee
25-08-2018, 09:35 PM
IMO

This is how I see it too.

Eyrie
25-08-2018, 10:05 PM
Imagine someone ploughed Man City money into one of the Glasgow clubs. Can't stand them but i reckon only Man United are bigger than those two, Liverpool maybe on a par. They'd be winning things down south pretty quickly. Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen would find their way to the Pemier league eventually. Far bigger clubs than the likes of Burnley, Bournemouth and Huddersfield.

So are Leeds, Nottingham Forest, Middlesbrough, Aston Villa and Sunderland. Yet they're not in the top division down south.

I'd say the top half of the Championship and the occasional couple of seasons in the top flight would be realistic of us, Aberdeen and Hearts unless serious money is injected.

DH1875
25-08-2018, 10:10 PM

If he had stayed for another year...he would be playing for a good championship or even bottom of the league EPL team now.

Jason Cummings is and in my opinion never will be good enough for an EPL team, even if they are bottom of the league.

IMO

Hate to say it BUT IF Rangers and Celtic played in the EPL and had the money that comes with it they'd be top 8 at least and pushing for Europe. On the same note, give Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen the money that comes with playing EPL football and we'd all compete. No way anyone can tell me Bournemouth, Brighton, Huddersfield, Watford, Burnley etc...are bigger than us.

Onceinawhile
25-08-2018, 10:13 PM
So are Leeds, Nottingham Forest, Middlesbrough, Aston Villa and Sunderland. Yet they're not in the top division down south.

I'd say the top half of the Championship and the occasional couple of seasons in the top flight would be realistic of us, Aberdeen and Hearts unless serious money is injected.

Serious money would be injected the second we got into the premiership.

Lancs Harp
25-08-2018, 10:16 PM
Jason Cummings is and in my opinion never will be good enough for an EPL team, even if they are bottom of the league.

IMO

Hate to say it BUT IF Rangers and Celtic played in the EPL and had the money that comes with it they'd be top 8 at least and pushing for Europe. On the same note, give Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen the money that comes with playing EPL football and we'd all compete. No way anyone can tell me Bournemouth, Brighton, Huddersfield, Watford, Burnley etc...are bigger than us.

Why? What makes you think they could attract the worlds best players to Glasgow as oppose to London or say Manchester? Its just subjective opinion certainly not fact, IMO I thnk you would find Celtic and rangers would struggle to attract the very best of talent required to compete in the top 8 of the EPL. Do you think Celtic and Rangers "massiveness" is carried much beyond these shores? I think not.

Ringothedog
25-08-2018, 10:26 PM

Why? What makes you think they could attract the worlds best players to Glasgow as oppose to London or say Manchester? Its just subjective opinion certainly not fact, IMO I thnk you would find Celtic and rangers would struggle to attract the very best of talent required to compete in the top 8 of the EPL. Do you think Celtic and Rangers "massiveness" is carried much beyond these shores? I think not.[/QUOTE]

Celtc are enormous globally

ian cruise
25-08-2018, 10:27 PM

Why? What makes you think they could attract the worlds best players to Glasgow as oppose to London or say Manchester? Its just subjective opinion certainly not fact, IMO I thnk you would find Celtic and rangers would struggle to attract the very best of talent required to compete in the top 8 of the EPL. Do you think Celtic and Rangers "massiveness" is carried much beyond these shores? I think not.[/QUOTE]

God I hate to stand up for the Old Firm but I need to disagree. Just look at some of the players Rangers and Celtic used to sign. We were still a "lesser league", still regularly pumped out of Europe and England was still the big fish however these big names went to them. They're well known, their in a good city (easily equal to Manchester, etc. Anywhere outside of London to be honest) and they have fanatical fans who create an atmosphere compared to some clubs down south.

I don't know where they finish, there's lots of clubs n England who get a share of the wealth and still perform poorly, but players would come to both if they were in EPL before they'd go to many of the clubs in the current league.

Eyrie
25-08-2018, 10:30 PM
God I hate to stand up for the Old Firm but I need to disagree. Just look at some of the players Rangers and Celtic used to sign. We were still a "lesser league", still regularly pumped out of Europe and England was still the big fish however these big names went to them. They're well known, their in a good city (easily equal to Manchester, etc. Anywhere outside of London to be honest) and they have fanatical fans who create an atmosphere compared to some clubs down south.

I don't know where they finish, there's lots of clubs n England who get a share of the wealth and still perform poorly, but players would come to both if they were in EPL before they'd go to many of the clubs in the current league.

How much of that was based on their ability to offer European football which they'd struggle to qualify for if they played down south?

JimBHibees
25-08-2018, 10:34 PM
Why do you think the old firm would do any better than Newcastle who have similar crowds.

Lancs Harp
25-08-2018, 10:34 PM
Why? What makes you think they could attract the worlds best players to Glasgow as oppose to London or say Manchester? Its just subjective opinion certainly not fact, IMO I thnk you would find Celtic and rangers would struggle to attract the very best of talent required to compete in the top 8 of the EPL. Do you think Celtic and Rangers "massiveness" is carried much beyond these shores? I think not.

God I hate to stand up for the Old Firm but I need to disagree. Judy look at some of the players Rangers and Celtic used to sign. We were still a "lesser league", still regularly pumped out of Europe and England was still the big fish however these big names went to them. They're well known, their in a good city (easily equal to Manchester, etc. Anywhere outside of London to be honest) and they have fanatical fans who create an atmosphere compared to some clubs down south.

I don't know where they finish, there's lots of clubs n England who get a share of the wealth and still perform poorly, but players would come to both if they were in EPL before they'd go to many of the clubs in the current league.[/QUOTE]

The reply thingy seems to have gone a bit wonky on this thread. That quote was from the guy I was replying to not form me.

Its subjective because Celtic and Rangers will never play in the SPL but we can agree to disagree on how successful they would be and how they would or wouldnt attract the top players in order to compete. The poster that likened them to Newcastle and Hbs/Hearts and Aberdeen to Championship clubs called it about right for me. Virtually every club in the Championship and there are some big clubs there feel that their club should be in the top flight. Like I said its all subjective anyway.

Lancs Harp
25-08-2018, 10:36 PM
Why do you think the old firm would do any better than Newcastle who have similar crowds.

Jim that quote wasnt mine

ChicagoHibee
25-08-2018, 10:40 PM
but what about the Cumdog?

:eek:

Did he really go by that nickname?

DH1875
25-08-2018, 11:10 PM
How much of that was based on their ability to offer European football which they'd struggle to qualify for if they played down south?

Would they struggle though??? As someone who has lived and worked abroad I hate to say it but on a global scale both clubs are massive. Look, even take both clubs out of the equation. Hibs and Burnley/Huddersfield/Southampton/Leicester/Wolves are all in the EPL and after the same player. We/they all offer that player £40k a week and the chance to play in the premier league. Who would you sign for??? I'd rather live in Edinburgh picking up £40k a week playing in the premier league than Burnley or Huddersfield. Or....lets look at SJM. IF Hibs played in the EPL and could offer him £20k/£30k a week do we really think he'd leave to play in the championship? I don't.

matty_f
25-08-2018, 11:11 PM
Love him. Hibs legend. Sparked the comeback and killed them off at Easter Road. Lifted the Cup. Legend.

Great post.

hibbymac
26-08-2018, 01:17 AM
:eek:

Did he really go by that nickname?

:aok: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w7itSn5naI

FilipinoHibs
26-08-2018, 03:54 AM
Great post.

Glad he is scoring at Peterborough.

SouthMoroccoStu
26-08-2018, 05:01 AM
We all know that promotion to the premier league in England is worth £180m ish (we get told this every season when the championship playoff final comes around) this, along with a great manger, allows a team like Bournemouth to compete in the EPL, despite being a small team (sub 12k seater stadium) but what do you get money wise when securing promotion from league 1 to championship?

I’m sure I read that the championship is the 5th richest league in Europe, that is crazy!

Imagine giving hibs, hearts or Aberdeen that level of financial resources?

I hate to say but the old firm clubs would be huge given premier league money - massive global and domestic fan base and after a few seasons in the epl, living in Glasgow (Scotland) would a huge draw to potential players

Haymaker
26-08-2018, 06:54 AM
We all know that promotion to the premier league in England is worth £180m ish (we get told this every season when the championship playoff final comes around) this, along with a great manger, allows a team like Bournemouth to compete in the EPL, despite being a small team (sub 12k seater stadium) but what do you get money wise when securing promotion from league 1 to championship?

That and a billionaire owner.

bigwheel
26-08-2018, 07:13 AM

Probably because the would have a board who set out to win things and achieve, rather than just survive....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
26-08-2018, 07:40 AM
I wish Jason Cummings all the best.
He was good for HIBS and HIBS were good for him.
He was part of the team that got relegated and vowed he would stay until we got promotion back to the SPFL.
We received good money for him.
He will forever be a Scottish Cup winning legend.
Every football team needs a character a joker in the dressing room to keep morale up and he was certainly that.
What I have seen of Jase lately I believe he has added to his game his work rate outside the box and his hold up play has improved highlighted by his recent run of goals and number of assists.
I don’t know what it is but I do not feel the love from him like I do from Fontaine Hanlon or MacGregor.
I suspect he still has a soft spot for the jambos or dare I say it the Huns.
I think it unlikely we will see him back at ER.
Verdict! LEGEND!
:not worth

Pretty Boy
26-08-2018, 07:56 AM

The owners of Rangers and Celtic might use the money generated in the EPL to fund footballing success rather than line the owners own pockets would be the primary factor.

Newcastles record transfer fee is, in these days of mega money, just £16M and that has stood for 12 years.

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-08-2018, 08:24 AM
This might be the move he should have made to begin with or perhaps had a worked out plan with an EPL club to go out on loan for a few seasons to continue his development. Kevin McDonald at Fulham is decent comparison.

lucky
26-08-2018, 08:33 AM
Do Peterborough play with 2 up front? Because JC has never been comfortable playing up front by himself. He needs a partner both Rangers and Forrest only played him as a lone striker as such he was poor

Bostonhibby
26-08-2018, 08:35 AM
Met quite a few posh fans late on last night. They were raving about his efforts so far. Even had a wee chorus of One Jason Cummings! Surreal.

Glad he's doing what he excels at.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
26-08-2018, 08:38 AM
The owners of Rangers and Celtic might use the money generated in the EPL to fund footballing success rather than line the owners own pockets would be the primary factor.

Newcastles record transfer fee is, in these days of mega money, just £16M and that has stood for 12 years.

Good point.

patlowe
26-08-2018, 06:02 PM
I wish Jason Cummings all the best.
He was good for HIBS and HIBS were good for him.
He was part of the team that got relegated and vowed he would stay until we got promotion back to the SPFL.
We received good money for him.
He will forever be a Scottish Cup winning legend.
Every football team needs a character a joker in the dressing room to keep morale up and he was certainly that.
What I have seen of Jase lately I believe he has added to his game his work rate outside the box and his hold up play has improved highlighted by his recent run of goals and number of assists.
I don’t know what it is but I do not feel the love from him like I do from Fontaine Hanlon or MacGregor.
I suspect he still has a soft spot for the jambos or dare I say it the Huns.
I think it unlikely we will see him back at ER.
Verdict! LEGEND!
:not worth

Guys like Fontaine, Hanlon and Daz are a good bit longer in the tooth than Cummings so will have a very different perspective on their experiences at the club. I would imagine Cummings will look back on his time at the club with great fondness but remember that for a lot of the time he was young, daft and gallus.

BILLYHIBS
26-08-2018, 06:06 PM
Guys like Fontaine, Hanlon and Daz are a good bit longer in the tooth than Cummings so will have a very different perspective on their experiences at the club. I would imagine Cummings will look back on his time at the club with great fondness but remember that for a lot of the time he was young, daft and gallus.

Agree 100% :thumbsup:

Sammy7nil
26-08-2018, 06:17 PM

Because they could both generate far more income than Newcastle like it or not the Old Firm have big big followings inside and outside Scotland that Newcastle will never have.

HibbyAndy
26-08-2018, 06:18 PM
Thoughts ? Sparked the comeback at Tinpot castle and finished them at easter rd on the way to claiming the holy grail

Living legend , Anyone that thinks otherwise needs their ****ing heads examined

Welcome back anytime

Michael
26-08-2018, 06:22 PM
Because they could both generate far more income than Newcastle like it or not the Old Firm have big big followings inside and outside Scotland that Newcastle will never have.

Don't know if that's true for Rangers. Celtic have fans in Ireland and the States. The latter even more so if they were in the EPL.

Posh Swanny
27-08-2018, 01:37 PM
When Jason signed a few weeks back I warned all my Posh mates that he can be a lazy player who doesn't add much when not scoring goals. I look at bit foolish now though as reports suggest that he's really upped his all round game since moving down south. And he plays in a two up top alongside Matty Godden who we signed from the mighty Stevenage in the summer.

Local reporter (my uncle) rates him highly here:

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/posh/cummings-class-headlines-a-terrific-all-round-display-by-peterborough-united-1-8614303

Cummings class headlines a terrific all-round display by Peterborough United

Jason Cummings: Two high quality assists and two goals. One missed chance, but his movement and anticipation is better than League One level (9/10)

DC_Hibs
27-08-2018, 01:44 PM
When Jason signed a few weeks back I warned all my Posh mates that he can be a lazy player who doesn't add much when not scoring goals. I look at bit foolish now though as reports suggest that he's really upped his all round game since moving down south. And he plays in a two up top alongside Matty Godden who we signed from the mighty Stevenage in the summer.

Local reporter (my uncle) rates him highly here:

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/posh/cummings-class-headlines-a-terrific-all-round-display-by-peterborough-united-1-8614303

Cummings class headlines a terrific all-round display by Peterborough United

Jason Cummings: Two high quality assists and two goals. One missed chance, but his movement and anticipation is better than League One level (9/10)

Think you’ve been swallowing too many Hibs.net myths that are widely accepted as gospel by the hard of thinking.

JimBHibees
27-08-2018, 01:45 PM

Never actually that convinced by that especially given the EPL's global reach. If Newcastle were doing well they would have more "fans" worldwide by a fair amount.

Haymaker
27-08-2018, 05:49 PM
Never actually that convinced by that especially given the EPL's global reach. If Newcastle were doing well they would have more "fans" worldwide by a fair amount.

I dunno, there's an awful lot of Celtc fans here in North east of America. True, most of them couldn't tell you anything about them but they all have celtc tops etc.

jacomo
27-08-2018, 08:21 PM

Both sides of the OF (albeit one of them died) have much richer histories than Newcastle, and fans and supporters clubs around the world as a result.

If Newcastle do ever win something, they will win new supporters in the way Leicester did - casual fans who are essentially glory hunters. They are not the types who a club can depend on.

Equally - and as said elsewhere - give Hibs a place in the EPL and £150m and we could definitely compete. Of course we could. We also have a much richer history than many of the clubs in The Worlds Greatest League TM.

Crunchie
27-08-2018, 09:56 PM

Will always be a legend as part of the cup winning team, never mind his exploits against the mob over the city. If he applies himself I'm sure he'll make it to a decent standard because one things for sure, the laddie can score goals.

Crunchie
27-08-2018, 09:57 PM

I couldn't agree more mate. :thumbsup:

monktonharp
28-08-2018, 01:42 AM
I think he’s taken over from Riordan as the go-to guy for the ‘anybody think he can still do a job for us’ thread subject.you've taken this too far Bob. he could not lace Derek Riordan's bits. even if he tried to lace them when the laces were bought, straight from a shop.

Bay Area Hibees
28-08-2018, 02:07 AM
I couldn't agree more mate. :thumbsup:

Agree 100%

Haymaker
28-08-2018, 03:00 AM

Deeks could still do a job for us.

DetroitHibs
28-08-2018, 04:02 AM
you've taken this too far Bob. he could not lace Derek Riordan's bits. even if he tried to lace them when the laces were bought, straight from a shop.

Bet he has a better all round career than Riordan though. Kenny Miller couldn't have laced Derek's boots either, but had a far better career.

JimBHibees
28-08-2018, 07:11 AM
Thoughts ? Sparked the comeback at Tinpot castle and finished them at easter rd on the way to claiming the holy grail

Living legend , Anyone that thinks otherwise needs their ****ing heads examined

Welcome back anytime

Totally agree.

BILLYHIBS
28-08-2018, 07:15 AM
Deeks could still do a job for us.
Sadly that ship has sailed ! :wink:

GreenArmyyy!
28-08-2018, 09:09 AM

Stop it.... Jason Cummings is so far away from being of EPL level ability it’s frightening.

BILLYHIBS
02-09-2018, 08:36 AM
Just when you thought things couldn’t get any worse confirmed : JASON CUMMINGS IS A HUN!

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/football-news/jason-cummings-opens-up-rangers-13176725

Time For Heroes
02-09-2018, 08:49 AM
Just when you thought things couldn’t get any worse confirmed : JASON CUMMINGS IS A HUN!

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/football-news/jason-cummings-opens-up-rangers-13176725

Maybe I read it wrong but doesn't he say that his Dad is a Hun supporter, cant see him mentioning that he is?

SRHibs
02-09-2018, 08:51 AM

He could be in ISIS and I’d still like the boy. Would take him over Maclaren 10 times out of 10.

green day
02-09-2018, 08:52 AM
Maybe I read it wrong but doesn't he say that his Dad is a Hun supporter, cant see him mentioning that he is?

I won't click on the DR, but Cummings dad is definitely a hearts fan.

Usual DR stuff, assuming everyone has to support one or the other of the ugly sisters?

Fannies

Time For Heroes
02-09-2018, 08:59 AM

Usual DR stuff, assuming everyone has to support one or the other of the ugly sisters?

Fannies

"At*Rangers, the fans adore you. It was brilliant to be part of, especially as my old man is a Rangers fan."
Is the quote...

oldbutdim
02-09-2018, 09:30 AM

Fannies

No he’s a Hun right enough.
He was ecstatic when Jason signed for them.

Betty Boop
02-09-2018, 09:36 AM

So what ? Scott Allan is a hun and few on here have an issue with that.

Eyrie
02-09-2018, 10:06 AM
Cummings admitted* that he grew up a Jambo on "Time For Heroes".

*My choice of word - he seemed quite proud of that.

Coco Bryce
02-09-2018, 10:36 AM

Fannies

Jason's Dad is defo a Jambo. He was also a Hearts casual when he was younger.

Off topic, but I met Stokes in town last night. Wouldn't say why he was here other than visiting friends :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
02-09-2018, 10:39 AM
Jason's Dad is defo a Jambo. He was also a Hearts casual when he was younger.

Off topic, but I met Stokes last night in town last night. Wouldn't say why he was here other than visiting friends :greengrin
Did he have his boots with him? :greengrin

lapsedhibee
02-09-2018, 10:47 AM
No he’s a Hun right enough.
He was ecstatic when Jason signed for them.

Wasn't he quoted as saying it was the 'proudest moment of his life' or similar? Course that could have been made up.

oldbutdim
02-09-2018, 11:00 AM
Wasn't he quoted as saying it was the 'proudest moment of his life' or similar? Course that could have been made up.

He tweeted that very message as I recall it.

BILLYHIBS
02-09-2018, 12:01 PM
Would he have walked bare footed on broken glass along the M8 to sign? 😂

02-09-2018, 12:03 PM
Could never wish him well whilst he was at the huns but now that he's away from that poisonous club I wish him all the best and hope he has a successful career.

Pete
02-09-2018, 12:03 PM
The guy is a cup winning legend.

End of.

Time For Heroes
02-09-2018, 01:34 PM
The guy is a cup winning legend.

End of.

Agreed

Just Jimmy
02-09-2018, 01:40 PM
surprised he was able to speak for the interview as his tounge is so far up the huns bum.

what an utterly boak inducing article. nothing of any substance and nothing more than a hun love in by any means necessary.

A Hi-Bee
02-09-2018, 01:44 PM
Could never wish him well whilst he was at the huns but now that he's away from that poisonous club I wish him all the best and hope he has a successful career.

Cup winning legend, forever in the history books of Hibernian F.C.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2018, 01:45 PM
Cummings admitted* that he grew up a Jambo on "Time For Heroes".

*My choice of word - he seemed quite proud of that.

He's a slaver, on the same video he's seen saying i never thought i'd see the day while walking across the easter road pitch after returning from hampden.

Then in an interview later on in the dvd, he tells the camera he always thought he'd win the cup at Hibs.

BILLYHIBS
02-09-2018, 02:23 PM
Cup winning hero he maybe but never in my fifty years of supporting HIBS have I come across a former player that loves and wants to play for the Huns so much!
Maybe even the diet huns -who knows?
In my experience the opposite was always the case. Players like Eddie Turnbull Gordon Smith Alex Edwards George Stewart Pat Stanton and Jimmy ORourke loved playing against and beating The Rangers it was part of what being a Hibby was all aboot!
I have witnessed some seriously hard bruising encounters between the two clubs where no quarter was given or asked for over the years at Easter Road. There was no love lost between the clubs.
Yes he is a Scottish Cup winning legend and he has my best wishes as long as he does not play against us in the not too distant future -reading that article I do not think he will be returning to Easter Road anytime soon.Perhaps when he is old and grey- just like me- he will reflect on his time at Hibernian FC as being one of the highlights and best times of his career and realise that he was loved for being the loveable rogue and cheeky wee laddie that he undoubtedly is and we all knew him to be and that he can be proud of the fact that he was part of the team that ended 114 years of hurt.
GGTTH

BILLYHIBS
02-09-2018, 04:30 PM
I suppose only older posters will understand my point of view on reflection there have been players over the years that have taken the thirty pieces of silver and joined the dark side but boy did they live to regret it on their reapearance at Easter Road wearing a light blue jersey.

BegbieHSC
02-09-2018, 06:55 PM
He could be in ISIS and I’d still like the boy. Would take him over Maclaren 10 times out of 10.

Whit? This serious? Maclaren is a class above Cummings, by a MILE!

Iggy Pope
02-09-2018, 06:58 PM
Cup winning hero he maybe but never in my fifty years of supporting HIBS have I come across a former player that loves and wants to play for the Huns so much!
In my experience the opposite was always the case. Players like Eddie Turnbull Gordon Smith Alex Edwards George Stewart Pat Stanton and Jimmy ORourke loved playing against and beating The Rangers it was part of what being a Hibby was all aboot!
I have witnessed some seriously hard bruising encounters between the two clubs where no quarter was given or asked for over the years at Easter Road. There was no love lost between the clubs.
Yes he is a Scottish Cup winning legend and he has my best wishes as long as he does not play against us in the not too distant future -reading that article I do not think he will be returning to Easter Road anytime soon.Perhaps when he is old and grey- just like me- he will reflect on his time at Hibernian FC as being one of the highlights and best times of his career and realise that he was loved for being the loveable rogue and cheeky wee laddie that he undoubtedly is and we all knew him to be and that he can be proud of the fact that he was part of the team that ended 114 years of hurt.
GGTTH

Craig Paterson.

Lancs Harp
02-09-2018, 07:00 PM
GGTTH

Winning the Scottish cup with Hibs will be the highlight of his career. He will realise that one day.

Nakedmanoncrack
02-09-2018, 07:04 PM
surprised he was able to speak for the interview as his tounge is so far up the huns bum.

what an utterly boak inducing article. nothing of any substance and nothing more than a hun love in by any means necessary.

He's been paid by the DR to give an interview that DR readers will want to read, nothing more, nothing less.

BILLYHIBS
02-09-2018, 07:06 PM
Craig Paterson.
Heard it singing in my ears as I was typing “What’s it like to be a Hun? “����

To think his old man was the great John Paterson but I suppose looking back if you had a young family and a big mortgage back in the eighties at 16 % interest you would probably do the same.

Please see post immediately after ����