Change the record

R'Albin
09-08-2018, 06:58 PM
This should be fun :greengrin

09-08-2018, 07:09 PM
Juniper Maroon

Juniper Greens
09-08-2018, 07:37 PM
In general. Signing section are great. Just 15 mins of a song that no one else was joining in reminded me of Dumbarton 4 years ago...before they got the hang of it

Squirrel 1875
09-08-2018, 08:19 PM
Stop singing the Lisbon Lions song. Embarrassing.

H18 SFR
09-08-2018, 08:47 PM
Incominggggggggggggggggg!

Chuck Rhoades
09-08-2018, 08:50 PM
What section? Was awful tonight.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
09-08-2018, 08:56 PM
Get back to front of East at speed please :aok:

The_Horde
09-08-2018, 08:57 PM
Celtic song was rotten.

BroxburnHibee
09-08-2018, 09:01 PM
I was in the east. Never heard them all night.

Pointless being up there.

Chuck Rhoades
09-08-2018, 09:01 PM
Whats this so called Celtic song? Heard one about Jamie Maclaren

bingo70
09-08-2018, 09:03 PM
They used to do my head in a few years back, in recent seasons I think they’ve added a lot to the atmosphere, tonight though I felt like they made the atmosphere worse. Whenever another part of the ground started sending they tried to drown it out with whatever it was they were singing themselves.

Think they need to remember they’re meant to be helping the atmosphere in the stadium, no just going for a wee sing along with their pals.

FWIW I hate it being this organised, singing at the football should be more sporadic, seeing as they’ve been given their own wee section in the stadium though I suppose there is an element of responsibility that goes with that wee it comes to the atmosphere within the ground.

Jamesie
09-08-2018, 09:03 PM
Seems to be a new Wallace Mercer megamix doing the rounds to the tune of "islands in the stream" / "ghetto superstar" - hadn't heard this one prior to Tripolis.

Jamesie
09-08-2018, 09:06 PM

There's a song that Celtic fans sing to the tune of "It's a Heartache" by Bonnie Tyler about the Lisbon Lions and 1967. It sounded tonight like the singing section have adopted that tune but with different words.

bingo70
09-08-2018, 09:08 PM
There's a song that Celtic fans sing to the tune of "It's a Heartache" by Bonnie Tyler about the Lisbon Lions and 1967. It sounded tonight like the singing section have adopted that tune but with different words.

Aye, time to put that one to bed.

lord bunberry
09-08-2018, 09:13 PM
It’s blatantly obvious that they’re in the wrong part of the stadium. They need to be down the front of the ff lower right behind the goals or back in the east.

we are hibs
09-08-2018, 09:13 PM
Stop singing the Lisbon Lions song. Embarrassing.

Wasn't a Celtic song they were singing was it? But you knew that..

frazeHFC
09-08-2018, 09:16 PM
A song about Jamie MacLaren sounds like a Celtic song right enough.

lord bunberry
09-08-2018, 09:17 PM
They used to do my head in a few years back, in recent seasons I think they’ve added a lot to the atmosphere, tonight though I felt like they made the atmosphere worse. Whenever another part of the ground started sending they tried to drown it out with whatever it was they were singing themselves.

Think they need to remember they’re meant to be helping the atmosphere in the stadium, no just going for a wee sing along with their pals.

FWIW I hate it being this organised, singing at the football should be more sporadic, seeing as they’ve been given their own wee section in the stadium though I suppose there is an element of responsibility that goes with that wee it comes to the atmosphere within the ground.
The part in bold is the most important part for me. I love what they do, but in most cases they aren’t adding to the atmosphere. I love joining in with the singing and starting songs, but it was better when the whole stadium was singing together. It’s completely fragmented now.

hibs#1
Just about every team in the world sing songs to same tune as each other. Don't see the fuss personally.nothing with a bit of variety.

SChibs
If people put as much effort into supporting the singing section as they do moaning about it then the problem would be solved.

CorrieHibs
09-08-2018, 09:18 PM
Is there any chance that the section can get moved to the bottom tier of the south stand?

Trial run to see it how it goes. Only time they need to move back is when we play the yams and ugly sisters.

They work tirelessly creating an atmosphere. It’s just not working up there.

JimboHibs
09-08-2018, 09:20 PM
If people put as much effort into supporting the singing section as they do moaning about it then the problem would be solved.

Well said.

We've got a fan complaining about the singing section singing louder than another section of the support 😂

lord bunberry
09-08-2018, 09:22 PM
Well said.

We've got a fan complaining about the singing section singing louder than another section of the support 😂
That’s clearly not what he said. He said that two groups of fans were singing different songs.

hibs#1
09-08-2018, 09:23 PM
Is there any chance that the section can get moved to the bottom tier of the south stand?

Trial run to see it how it goes. Only time they need to move back is when we play the yams and ugly sisters.

They work tirelessly creating an atmosphere. It’s just not working up there.

Don't think that would be a bad shout personally I'd cut Celtic,Hearts and Rangers allocation anyway.

bingo70
09-08-2018, 09:25 PM
Well said.

We don’t really, if you read what was said then it might make more sense.

It’s not a singing competition, of one area of the ground starts singing, the singing section should join in with that to improve the atmosphere. What they shouldn’t do is say.....”they’re singing something else, lets sing our own song that nobody else knows on repeat until the other stands shut up”.....

I don’t actually have a beef with the singing section, in lower key league games they’ve done a lot to improve the atmosphere at the ground, they were a pain in the arse tonight though. IMO of course.

GreenNWhiteArmy
09-08-2018, 09:25 PM
I was in the east at the famous 5 end and thought they were alright tbh

H18 SFR
09-08-2018, 09:27 PM
What are the lyrics to the islands in the stream song? Heard a few singing it in the east but couldn't make it out.

Lemonade
09-08-2018, 09:28 PM
They are class and add brilliant new songs.
What's not to like?

That Hibs in Europe song is a belter.

NadeAteMyLunch!
09-08-2018, 09:31 PM
Seems to be a new Wallace Mercer megamix doing the rounds to the tune of "islands in the stream" / "ghetto superstar" - hadn't heard this one prior to Tripolis.

Being sung in Sect 43 tonight. If folk are going to sing it then it should defo be reserved for the Roseburn bar etc . No good can come for the club by that being sung at games IMO

Deek01
09-08-2018, 09:32 PM
Standard hibs don’t win at home so let’s tear into the singing section thread 😴

SChibs
09-08-2018, 09:40 PM
We don’t really, if you read what was said then it might make more sense.

It’s not a singing competition, of one area of the ground starts singing, the singing section should join in with that to improve the atmosphere. What they shouldn’t do is say.....”they’re singing something else, lets sing our own song that nobody else knows on repeat until the other stands shut up”.....

I don’t actually have a beef with the singing section, in lower key league games they’ve done a lot to improve the atmosphere at the ground, they were a pain in the arse tonight though. IMO of course.

The singing section doesn't do what you described.

superbam
09-08-2018, 09:49 PM
Young team sounded pretty good on the TV, did any of the folk moaning start any songs themselves? Or join any chants?

HibeeHibernian4
09-08-2018, 09:51 PM

Go on mate, make the atmosphere good with your “sporadic” pals, I guarantee you it will be a morgue just like 90% of SPFL grounds

lord bunberry
09-08-2018, 09:51 PM
Standard hibs don’t win at home so let’s tear into the singing section thread 😴
It’s hardly tearing into the singing section. Most people including me are fully supportive of them, they just need to move to a different part of the stadium. Why do the club sell such good seats for £25? The singing section should be down there. I would 100% move to the FF lower if the singing section was down there.

HibeeHibernian4
09-08-2018, 09:54 PM
People again having selective amnesia on this by the way, the singing section used to be in the East and almost nobody joined in with them, they move to the Famous Five and people pretend they’re killing off the atmosphere. Can’t win eh?

Billychaotic182
09-08-2018, 09:56 PM
Anyone wanna post the lyrics for the Jamie Maclaren song.

Since90+2
09-08-2018, 09:58 PM
It’s hardly tearing into the singing section. Most people including me are fully supportive of them, they just need to move to a different part of the stadium. Why do the club sell such good seats for £25? The singing section should be down there. I would 100% move to the FF lower if the singing section was down there.

The singing section do a fantastic job of improving the atmosphere. Anyone having some sort of go at them is out of order.

Saying that they should not be in the section they are and should be in the FF lower behind the goals. I know it might annoy some fans by having to move but at the end of the it would benefit the club so they should just suck it up. Selling some seats at £25 that seem to be used about 40% of the time that could be used to create a singing section that could grow and actually have a material influence on games needs to be looked at.

HappyAsHellas
09-08-2018, 10:00 PM
I was in the singing section tonight and it's thoroughly enjoyable, everyone doing their best to cheer on the team and create atmosphere. Anyone saying these guys start singing different songs deliberately to go against other sections of the ground has clearly had a brain fart.

Dunfyhibee
09-08-2018, 10:00 PM
I sit right next to singing section and for large parts tonight they were very vocal. Aswell as their noise struggling to carry over to the east, there is also a delay in the east noise traveling over there. A large majority of the time, a song is dying down in the east when it starts to pick up in the singing section. This isn't anyone's fault just the way the acoustics of the stadium work

09-08-2018, 10:02 PM
Someone give me the lyrics for the Wallace mercer islands in the stream tune

cjward2
09-08-2018, 10:02 PM
:aok:
:top marks

I like the phrase: "We only win when your singing".

Golden Bear
09-08-2018, 10:03 PM
Singing section loud and clear from upper West. Keep it going lads.
👍

lord bunberry
09-08-2018, 10:04 PM
The singing section do a fantastic job of improving the atmosphere. Anyone having some sort of go at them is out of order.

Saying that they should not be in the section they are and should be in the FF lower behind the goals. I know it might annoy some fans by having to move but at the end of the it would benefit the club so they should just suck it up. Selling some seats at £25 that seem to be used about 40% of the time that could be used to create a singing section that could grow and actually have a material influence on games needs to be looked at.
That’s the only problem I have with the singing section. It’s not really what they do, it’s where they are. If they were right behind the goals in the ff lower the whole stadium would be able to hear them properly and join in. The cheap £25 tickets should be up where the singing section is now.

cjward2
09-08-2018, 10:04 PM
Also liked the addition of a megaphone. At times it sounded a bit like the Islamic call to prayer, but it helped add to the atmosphere (that I picked up via Hibs TV:wink:)

Fergos
09-08-2018, 10:06 PM
The efforts of those troops has been superb. I've sat in ER at times throughout the years and it has been morgue like in lower profile games.

Think most of us agree that there could be a better location for a singing section but to give a negative slant on things isn't fair, wonder what the atmosphere would have been like tonight if there was no singing section at all?

GGTTH

hibsdaft
09-08-2018, 10:09 PM

Originally sung by Boca Juniors. There's a Racing Club song "Muchachos" which would lend itself really well to us and would be unique in European football . Replace Muchachos with "the hibees" or "exuberance" :-D

Ps thought the singing section were tremendous tonight as usual. Constant noise. Must help the players.

jacomo
09-08-2018, 10:15 PM
The efforts of those troops has been superb. I've sat in ER at times throughout the years and it has been morgue like in lower profile games.

Think most of us agree that there could be a better location for a singing section but to give a negative slant on things isn't fair, wonder what the atmosphere would have been like tonight if there was no singing section at all?

GGTTH

It’s just maddening that it was moved to ff upper. Always going to be a bad idea.

JimboHibs
09-08-2018, 10:21 PM

GGTTH

Tenor Bunberry would have had the stadium rocking so no need to worry about atmosphere.

lord bunberry
09-08-2018, 10:23 PM
Tenor Bunberry would have had the stadium rocking so no need to worry about atmosphere.
I’m more of a fiver these days mate :greengrin

BullsCloseHibs
09-08-2018, 10:23 PM
I was in the east. Never heard them all night.

Pointless being up there.

I was in the East and heard them all night. How strange....

RoxburghHibs
09-08-2018, 10:24 PM
What does foa mean?

kennyh
09-08-2018, 10:25 PM
First time in the singing section tonight and there is no way the lad sing songs to drown out the east as you couldn't hear anything from the east.
No idea what the general atmosphere was like, it was loud and fairly consistent up with the young team.
Shame a significant number joined in with the Mercer bollox. No place for that now.

I prob won't go back up there as I like to hear what is happening all around Easter Rd and the lads n lassies up there can't realy hear of see whats going on at S43 to coordinate a wall of noise.

Better than nothing but better positioning could make it so much better.

Lemonade
09-08-2018, 10:26 PM

Haha

:greengrin:

LaMotta
09-08-2018, 10:27 PM
That’s the only problem I have with the singing section. It’s not really what they do, it’s where they are. If they were right behind the goals in the ff lower the whole stadium would be able to hear them properly and join in. The cheap £25 tickets should be up where the singing section is now.
:agree::agree::agree:

jabis
09-08-2018, 10:27 PM
Sitting in the lower west,besides the FF stand, great to hear a couple of hibs songs at the same time,good atmosphere,crap game from those seats.

Nevi_SOL
09-08-2018, 10:29 PM
I was in the singing section tonight and was bouncing if they are in the wrong part of the ground it’s up to you to decide but surely you can’t blame the atmosphere on that section alone there are thousands of other fans in the ground to make an atmosphere and chose not too obviously

09-08-2018, 10:32 PM
The west stand feels a bit like the hibs.net stand to me tbh.

JohnM1875
09-08-2018, 10:36 PM
The west stand feels a bit like the hibs.net stand to me tbh.

Offt. Shots fired ...

Danderhall Hibs
09-08-2018, 10:51 PM
What does foa mean?

I think it’s “for of attention”

RoxburghHibs
09-08-2018, 10:52 PM
I think it’s “for of attention”

So nonsense/ meaningless

blackpoolhibs
09-08-2018, 10:56 PM
I do think the middle of the bottom tier in the FF stand is where we should be building the singing section, but cant see that happening unfortunately.

LancashireHibby
09-08-2018, 11:23 PM
Sitting in the lower west,besides the FF stand, great to hear a couple of hibs songs at the same time,good atmosphere,crap game from those seats.

I was sat in the same area and would say the complete opposite - decent game but poor atmosphere. I could certainly hear the singing section but have reached the point where I haven’t a clue what they’re singing. I know every new song has to start somewhere, but the place should have been rocking with the old favourites tonight.

The_Horde
09-08-2018, 11:27 PM

I love what the section brings to Easter Road, and I've enjoyed more than a few of the songs you guys have come up with. But the Maclaren effort makes us sound like Celtic sympathisers, no matter what the words are.

The_Horde
09-08-2018, 11:34 PM
Also. If there's any chance you can get your perch back at the top of section 43 please do it.

Deejk107
09-08-2018, 11:38 PM

It's no a competition mate, I've just started coming back to games this season, sat in the section next to the singing section for the Tripolis game, didn't hear a peep from the East or West stands. I've sat in the singing section for Motherwell and tonight's game and I can safely say just by being there twice that nobody there is trying to drown out other stands, that's jambo level paranoia imo. its a shame the atmosphere sounds so disjointed but to be honest blaming the seemingly only people who care to do anything other than moan and groan is a bit much, seems bitter of you. I don't understand why the singing section would get any flack from anyone considering the job they clearly do week in week out where the rest of the stadium is dead no matter how full it is, you literally cant hear anything from the FF.

Col_0762
09-08-2018, 11:43 PM
Cannae hear a sook from East. Poor crowd tonight though in numbers and noise. Everyone too busy moaning. Which is hardly suprising tonight. They need moved though. A positive affect on the support will not be generated by 30 folk in a corner away from everything.

Billychaotic182
09-08-2018, 11:48 PM
So no one wants to tell us the lyrics to the song then....

HNA12
09-08-2018, 11:57 PM
So no one wants to tell us the lyrics to the song then....

We try to keep this place family friendly so maybe not for posting up on here.

Nakedmanoncrack
10-08-2018, 12:06 AM
Someone give me the lyrics for the Wallace mercer islands in the stream tune

You are better not knowing, I hated the man & what he tried to do to our club - but WTF are we singing drivel about that man for, when there are so many positive things to sing about?

Andy Bee
10-08-2018, 12:07 AM

:thumbsup:

cabbageandribs1875
10-08-2018, 12:36 AM
You are better not knowing, I hated the man & what he tried to do to our club - but WTF are we singing drivel about that man for, when there are so many positive things to sing about?

especially when a lot of the singers weren't even born when the hertz slimeball was around :greengrin

RIP
10-08-2018, 12:50 AM
A lot of facts posted missing on this thread.

The Since1875 choir is situated in the Famous Five. There’s not 30 up there more like 150. I could hear at least 20 strong songs over in S43.

S43 is rammed now so why would Since1875 lads want to come back when their numbers are still rising?

The S43 choir are busy reorganising for the season ahead. There’s still a hard core of 500 standing up there and the atmosphere is slowly returning to previous levels. By October it will be back to its former volume.

An SPL team with TWO active standing and singing sections is a thing to celebrate not moan about.

Austinho
10-08-2018, 12:55 AM
We try to keep this place family friendly so maybe not for posting up on here.Perhaps someone can PM me, so I can tut and shake my head.

Billychaotic182
10-08-2018, 01:11 AM

So the Jamie Maclaren song isn’t pg

My_Wife_Camille
10-08-2018, 04:44 AM
So nonsense/ meaningless
Probably just a typo tbh

The Green Goblin
10-08-2018, 04:58 AM
Poor crowd tonight though in numbers and noise.

Over 16k there last night with a good few Hibs fans in the away end (?) That’s pretty decent, isn’t it?

PompeyHibs
10-08-2018, 05:25 AM
The singing section 10/10 tonight good effort

Lads im not having a go but why the **** did you move from 43? Comeback to the East

It was a morgue tonight until 81mins you guys (are too far away)

Hail Hail the hibs are here....

SirDavidsNapper
10-08-2018, 05:32 AM
Over 16k there last night with a good few Hibs fans in the away end (?) That’s pretty decent, isn’t it?

I agree. We'd be getting 6-7k in leage cup group stage otherwise.

Dancehibs
10-08-2018, 05:56 AM
As an experiment for games where the south lower is opened would the singing section go there for a game

marinello59
10-08-2018, 06:00 AM
Cannae hear a sook from East. Poor crowd tonight though in numbers and noise. Everyone too busy moaning. Which is hardly suprising tonight. They need moved though. A positive affect on the support will not be generated by 30 folk in a corner away from everything.

A poor crowd in numbers? There was over 16000 there and we are still in the holiday season for many. We are seeing the biggest crowds at ER iny lifetime and I am ancient. I really don’t know what people expect if 16000 is seen as a poor turnout.
Singling out the singing section for a flat atmosphere is more than a bit unfair. We needed a goal to lift the place and maybe we were all trying to get used to SJM leaving. They did try but if the whole crowd is slightly subdued there’s not a lot they can do on their own.

IGRIGI
10-08-2018, 06:08 AM
Seeing as 50% of those who've bought tickets for the FF lower never turn up they can't have any issues being punted to the upper to make way for the singing section.

stoneyburn hibs
10-08-2018, 06:36 AM

The Since1875 choir is situated in the Famous Five. There’s not 30 up there more like 150. I could hear at least 20 strong songs over in S43.

S43 is rammed now so why would Since1875 lads want to come back when their numbers are still rising?

The S43 choir are busy reorganising for the season ahead. There’s still a hard core of 500 standing up there and the atmosphere is slowly returning to previous levels. By October it will be back to its former volume.

An SPL team with TWO active standing and singing sections is a thing to celebrate not moan about.

Well said

WeeRussell
10-08-2018, 07:58 AM
What does foa mean?

F***ed Our Atmosphere, I think.

Hermit Crab
10-08-2018, 08:10 AM
Now I am well and truly the resident moaning git on here but even I wasn't bothered about that song.

Is singing Hail, Hail the Hibs are here a Celtic song just because they sing Hail, Hail, the Celts are here? No, it isn't, its our own version just like that one last night.

MB62
10-08-2018, 08:28 AM
Now I am well and truly the resident moaning git on here but even I wasn't bothered about that song.

Is singing Hail, Hail the Hibs are here a Celtic song just because they sing Hail, Hail, the Celts are here? No, it isn't, its our own version just like that one last night.

Or that GGTTH is maybe even a Man Utd song, or that last year we were singing, here we go, 2 in a row.

BTW, I have no idea what the Jamie McLaren song is, or the European song for that matter (get a couple of lines then it's all just a mumble after that) :greengrin

SRHibs
10-08-2018, 08:42 AM
Perhaps someone can PM me, so I can tut and shake my head.

Forward it on to me if someone obliges. Cheers.

Onceinawhile
10-08-2018, 08:47 AM
I sit in the FF lower and can obviously hear them quite clearly. When I sat in the east (South End) for the Celtic game, I could also hear them quite clearly. Anyone who can't hear them needs their ears tested imo.

Cabbage East
10-08-2018, 08:49 AM
I sit in the east and could barely hear the 'singing section' last night. So I doubt the away support can.

HibeeHibernian4
10-08-2018, 09:01 AM
I love him til my heart aches (or breaks, not sure)
He loves the f***ing Hibees
He turned the Jambos dowwwnnnn
Jamie Maclaren

murray26
10-08-2018, 09:14 AM
I love him til my heart aches (or breaks, not sure)
He loves the f***ing Hibees
He turned the Jambos dowwwnnnn
Jamie Maclaren

Struggling to see what is wrong/offensive/ not family friendly about those lyrics..

CropleyWasGod
10-08-2018, 09:15 AM
Struggling to see what is wrong/offensive/ not family friendly about those lyrics..

The J word :greengrin

Sean1875
10-08-2018, 09:18 AM
Could only really make out the second half of that new Mercer song and I actually cringed hearing it, not cool.

SRHibs
10-08-2018, 09:18 AM
I sit in the FF lower and can obviously hear them quite clearly. When I sat in the east (South End) for the Celtic game, I could also hear them quite clearly. Anyone who can't hear them needs their ears tested imo.

Celtic game. Sample size of 1. Good yin.

During the loudest games they are sometimes audible, but when they’re singing during the lesser games its usually just the drum you hear.

Johnny Clash
10-08-2018, 09:19 AM
Seeing as 50% of those who've bought tickets for the FF lower never turn up they can't have any issues being punted to the upper to make way for the singing section.

Good point!

murray26
10-08-2018, 09:19 AM
The J word :greengrin

Missed that one..😊

Austinho
10-08-2018, 09:31 AM
Or that GGTTH is maybe even a Man Utd song, or that last year we were singing, here we go, 2 in a row.

BTW, I have no idea what the Jamie McLaren song is, or the European song for that matter (get a couple of lines then it's all just a mumble after that) :greengrinGlory Glory is a Hibs original. Man United, Leeds and Tottenham all followed suit after.

Red Cabbage
10-08-2018, 09:32 AM
It's time to lay off the singing section. I have been going to ER for 33 years and the atmosphere/range of songs has NEVER been as good as it has since these guys started up.

Not everything they try will work/please everyone but see the big picture rather than slating them for trying things. We all know they are in the wrong part of the ground but that is not gonna be an easy one to fix so let's just focus on helping them be the best they can be where they are by joining in with the songs they start when we can hear them.

Keep up the good work guys

BegbieHSC
10-08-2018, 09:53 AM
I think there’s a simple solution for those discontent with where Since1875 are - SING!

As has been said, they’re there to HELP the atmosphere - not BE the atmosphere - it’s on everyone to make Easter Road as noisy as we’d like it to be. Cannae just sit in the West not making a peep, but then going home to complain that you can’t hear the singing section.

Jamesie
10-08-2018, 10:23 AM
Could only really make out the second half of that new Mercer song and I actually cringed hearing it, not cool.

20-something year old Hibs fans (or indeed Hibs fans of any age) glorifying the death of an individual - no matter how unacceptable some of his actions were - who died almost 15 years ago and expressing the "hope he died in pain" for matters that took place before they were born really just isn't Hibs class IMHO. I'd more readily associate this sort of thing with the Old Firm to be honest.

I really hope none of these supporters have to watch anyone in their family suffer during the currency of terminal cancer: maybe if they did they might gain some perspective.

The Green Goblin
10-08-2018, 10:41 AM
I’m in West Upper near the away end and the singing section come across very loud and clear, as do any songs which start up in the East.

Sean1875
10-08-2018, 11:00 AM
20-something year old Hibs fans (or indeed Hibs fans of any age) glorifying the death of an individual - no matter how unacceptable some of his actions were - who died almost 15 years ago and expressing the "hope he died in pain" for matters that took place before they were born really just isn't Hibs class IMHO. I'd more readily associate this sort of thing with the Old Firm to be honest.

I really hope none of these supporters have to watch anyone in their family suffer during the currency of terminal cancer: maybe if they did they might gain some perspective.

Was that line in particular that I found most uncomfortable, not something I want to be hearing sung by our supporters. About time we moved on from singing about him IMO.

Johnny Clash
10-08-2018, 11:11 AM
Get the East/FF corner filled in for safe standing. I that would be ideal for our singing section. Entire ground would hear the noise.

Also agree it’s time to move on fron those Mercer songs. I got no time for Tories in general and especially that one... yes we all hated him but these songs are dire.

Carheenlea
10-08-2018, 11:14 AM
For those of a certain generation who were around Hibs during the late 80’s and early 90’s, many will have an ingrained life long hatred of Mercer, what he stood for and what he tried to do to our club. For the younger generation he will be more of a pantomime villain and one they feel is worthy of being the subject of some unsavoury songs and jokes, but that older generation will view the man in a different light and probably not see Mercer as a figure of fun, and the songs ones that they’ll likely refrain from joining in.

RIP
10-08-2018, 11:25 AM
I’m in West Upper near the away end and the singing section come across very loud and clear, as do any songs which start up in the East.

This in a nutshell.

We have a stadium with 4 stands with sides and open corners. The sound from any one stand cannot carry equally around the stadium. Only when the rest of the North, East and West stands join in (Sunshine on Leith) do we experience surround sound.

If we want that on a regular basis we all have to sing and not leave it to 2 groups.

JDHibs
10-08-2018, 11:38 AM
Are the people doing anything to help the lads? Start chants? Join in?

All good sitting and moaning, but if you, personally, arent willing to help, sit down and shut up.

The lads do their best, and really help the atmosphere, they moved to FF to try and drum up that stand. S43 will always do their bit. If more people actually joined in the chants it would work alot better. Cant rely on 500 people out of 17-18k to continually. Youve got help out.

If you want change, stand up and be counted.

Gala Foxes
10-08-2018, 11:51 AM
find it surprising how people that were probably born 10+ years after the Mercer attempted "takeover" can go on & on about it - whilst we will never forget it, particularly those of us that lived through that painful Summer, lets move on

blackpoolhibs
10-08-2018, 11:52 AM
I despise Mercer more than any other figure in world football, just thought i'd put that out there.

GreenCastle
10-08-2018, 12:06 PM

This.

It was fantastic to see the march to the ground yesterday - my tip would be to have a sing song outside the back of the FF and East pre match - bit like what has happened with the Europe game marches.

Compared to other clubs in Scotland those in the section do an excellent job to add atmosphere.

I think the good there are 2 sections singing.

I’ve said for a long time - Famous Five lower should be made the designated area with safe standing and you would be onto a winner.

Families in lower in the west lower - but obviously mean lots of changes of tickets etc which I understand would upset folk.

The Jambos are desperate for something like we have but are no where near - let’s keep up the good work and keep growing it.

Ritchie
10-08-2018, 01:03 PM

They aren't talking about that song... it's the new mercer song... which is a shocker.

overdrive
10-08-2018, 01:35 PM
Was that line in particular that I found most uncomfortable, not something I want to be hearing sung by our supporters. About time we moved on from singing about him IMO.

I don’t have much of a problem with the original Mercer song but some of the newer ones are a bit low. I cringe at all the references to his wife. There were a few sung at Christmas time about her and there is a line about her in the one last night. I find it quite distasteful.

Pretty Boy
10-08-2018, 01:47 PM
The singing section is a bit like Stevenson or Malonga.

Any debate sees the middle ground lost and everyone focuses on the 'they're brilliant' or 'they're pish' parts. I thought they were fine tonight, as they are most weeks. That's about as far as my opinion goes on the whole thing. I can't get too excited about it, I don't really care where they sit and I can't get too worked up if they sing a song I don't know.

Dancehibs
10-08-2018, 03:36 PM
I despise Mercer more than any other figure in world football, just thought i'd put that out there.

Agreed

Shrekko
10-08-2018, 03:56 PM
It's time to lay off the singing section. I have been going to ER for 33 years and the atmosphere/range of songs has NEVER been as good as it has since these guys started up.

Not everything they try will work/please everyone but see the big picture rather than slating them for trying things. We all know they are in the wrong part of the ground but that is not gonna be an easy one to fix so let's just focus on helping them be the best they can be where they are by joining in with the songs they start when we can hear them.

Keep up the good work guys

Great post that I agree totally with.

They’re never going to get everything right but what a difference these boys have made in the past few years- apart from derbies and a few bigger games Easter Road had been an awful, sleepy and grey place for a good long time. The club has been on the up for a few years now but the singing section have played a big part in making ER a fun and vibrant matchday experience. We used to have about 4 basic songs that generally quickly petered out - there’s about 3/4 new songs a month now and some of the players ones are excellent.

HibsNutter
10-08-2018, 04:23 PM
The Mercer song was awful. He wasn't a nice guy but forget him. Let's not attract that kind of attention.

blackpoolhibs
10-08-2018, 04:25 PM
The Mercer song was awful. He wasn't a nice guy but forget him. Let's not attract that kind of attention.

I hate the man that much, i'm having it played at my funeral.

H18 SFR
10-08-2018, 04:27 PM

Still don't know the lyrics!!!!

Deejk107
10-08-2018, 04:29 PM

To be fair I found that while its definitely a controversial song its also pretty funny to be honest! I'm confused seeing people outraged about this when its the generation before this one making up songs about Wallace Mercer being deed, if that new one is shocking then the old one is too.

WeeRussell
10-08-2018, 05:32 PM
To be fair I found that while its definitely a controversial song its also pretty funny to be honest! I'm confused seeing people outraged about this when its the generation before this one making up songs about Wallace Mercer being deed, if that new one is shocking then the old one is too.

We shouldn’t have been singing any of them then and shouldn’t be singing this one now.

It is annoying that some of the catchier songs are the ones that aren’t appropriate though!

we are hibs
10-08-2018, 05:39 PM
We shouldn’t have been singing any of them then and shouldn’t be singing this one now.

It is annoying that some of the catchier songs are the ones that aren’t appropriate though!

Why not?0

lord bunberry
10-08-2018, 06:01 PM
The more Mercer songs the better. The man was a complete **** who had he got his way we would’ve been wiped out as a club.

weecounty hibby
10-08-2018, 06:14 PM
The more Mercer songs the better. The man was a complete **** who had he got his way we would’ve been wiped out as a club.
He was a detestable individual and not just for his hearts connections and what he tried to do to us. He is up there with Margaret Thatcher as someone who I can honestly say I was quite happy to hear about news of their deaths, I had the misfortune to live through both of there existences. BUT.....BUT we don't need to be singing songs about him. We have got loads of songs about our team, about our players, about our club lets stick with them and get the ground bouncing. I would guess that there would not be too many folk who would join in with the mercer song but get the club songs, player songs going and you will get more people joining in

Hibernian Verse
10-08-2018, 06:23 PM
Someone give me the lyrics for the Wallace mercer islands in the stream tuneThat song was made up by a boy at the back of St Pauli Bus 2, and you defo do not want the lyrics. It's a class tune tho!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The Spaceman
10-08-2018, 06:24 PM
I'm a huge fan of the singing section - they do a brilliant job and I bet a lot of other club supporters (Hearts) wish they had ones like our lot.

The song book has been brilliant over recent years, but admittedly can't buy into the current Mercer one. Lets sing about our club or rivals in general rather than dead men.

Hibernian Verse
10-08-2018, 06:25 PM
I'm a huge fan of the singing section - they do a brilliant job and I bet a lot of other club supporters (Hearts) wish they had ones like our lot.

The song book has been brilliant over recent years, but admittedly can't buy into the current Mercer one. Lets sing about our club or rivals in general rather than dead men.Why do you always have to bring it back to Hearts? Can't you post once without comparing us to them?

Juniper Greens
10-08-2018, 06:33 PM
Why do you always have to bring it back to Hearts? Can't you post once without comparing us to them?

I don't stalk him enough to know if he always posts about hertz, but...he has a point here.
Given the singing section are representing Hibs fans in general, and this one is so divisive, probably makes sense to drop it?

Hibernian Verse
10-08-2018, 06:34 PM
I don't stalk him enough to know if he always posts about hertz, but...he has a point here.
Given the singing section are representing Hibs fans in general, and this one is so divisive, probably makes sense to drop it?That is a whoosh but I'll give you it as an obscure one!

lord bunberry
10-08-2018, 07:07 PM
The Ryan Porteous song is even less appropriate, but brilliant none the less.

Jamesie
10-08-2018, 07:33 PM
There is a certain irony in the fact that it took the actions of Wallace Mercer and his desire to eliminate Hibs from the footballing map to ultimately ensure that this club will never again fall into the hands of charlatans or speculators in the manner it had in the late 1980s and was the catalyst for the emergence of as reliable and steady a majority shareholder as there is in the Scottish footballing world.

That is not to say Mercer is to be thanked for where we find Hibernian today, but equally the humility and compassion that form just two of the traits that this club was founded upon mean that I will never revel in his death or suffering. Hibs survived and got stronger; much stronger and continue to do so to this day. That is enough for me and it should be enough for those who sing these songs too.

marinello59
10-08-2018, 07:53 PM
That song was made up by a boy at the back of St Pauli Bus 2, and you defo do not want the lyrics. It's a class tune tho!

It’s not one I’ll be singing but I can see why others would.
Without defending the song , it’s composition was hilarious, you probably had to be there to understand why something in such bad taste was so funny.

SideBurns
10-08-2018, 07:58 PM
He was a detestable individual and not just for his hearts connections and what he tried to do to us. He is up there with Margaret Thatcher as someone who I can honestly say I was quite happy to hear about news of their deaths, I had the misfortune to live through both of there existences. BUT.....BUT we don't need to be singing songs about him. We have got loads of songs about our team, about our players, about our club lets stick with them and get the ground bouncing. I would guess that there would not be too many folk who would join in with the mercer song but get the club songs, player songs going and you will get more people joining in

I think you've just articulated my feelings better than I could. I don't want to hear the man's name mentioned at any Hibs game I attend. He's deid - let's leave him there.

Centre Hawf
10-08-2018, 08:08 PM

I definitely want to know the words to that one. I actually can't hear much of the singing section which is odd but I can't really see them either as my seat in the West doesn't allow me to see the Famous Five fans (I even missed the Natural Order banner)

HibeeHibernian4
10-08-2018, 08:11 PM

Go on?...

cabbageandribs1875
10-08-2018, 08:26 PM
saw the march to the ground on fb, looked good :flag:

lord bunberry
10-08-2018, 08:29 PM
Go on?...
I saw it on twitter. It was to the tune of baby bird you’re gorgeous. The line about taking me to your rented motor car, had a bit about taking illegal substances off the bonnet.
It started like this
Remember that hibs top you bought me
you wrote Porteous on it
you took me to your rented motor car
and we did something illegal of the bonnet:wink:
heres the original, I’ll leave you to fill in the blanks :greengrin

https://youtu.be/kcRpGpsFI5I

Baw187
10-08-2018, 08:32 PM
I’m not going to read through 136 posts to find out what the debate is but my opinion is that the singing section have really added to the atmosphere at Easter Road and when section 43 also get involved, it’s great. I sit in the West Lower and those sections really improve the experience for me.

Some songs are keek but who cares!

HibeeHibernian4
10-08-2018, 08:44 PM
I saw it on twitter. It was to the tune of baby bird you’re gorgeous. The line about taking me to your rented motor car, had a bit about taking illegal substances off the bonnet.
It started like this
Remember that hibs top you bought me
you wrote Porteous on it
you took me to your rented motor car
and we did something illegal of the bonnet:wink:
heres the original, I’ll leave you to fill in the blanks :greengrin

Didn’t realise there was a verse to it, knew about the chorus which is brilliant.

Because you’re Porteous,
I’d do anything for you

lord bunberry
10-08-2018, 08:46 PM
Didn’t realise there was a verse to it, knew about the chorus which is brilliant.

Because you’re Porteous,
I’d do anything for you
I can’t find the video on twitter. It was fans on a bus singing it, I think they were on their way to the Asteras game over in Greece.

Andy Bee
10-08-2018, 09:10 PM
It’s not one I’ll be singing but I can see why others would.
Without defending the song , it’s composition was hilarious, you probably had to be there to understand why something in such bad taste was so funny.

The boy in question also has a half decent voice TBF. Quite funny as he sang it himself until others caught on to what he was singing and then ten minutes later the whole bus was rockin it, absolutely hilarious. :greengrin

badabing67
10-08-2018, 09:37 PM
I think we need a song book thread. The more widely known the lyrics for song are then obviously the more Hibees can join in and improve that atmosphere

The Spaceman
10-08-2018, 09:40 PM
why do you always have to bring it back to hearts? Can't you post once without comparing us to them?

Sent from my sm-g950f using tapatalk

ltyf.

KWJ
10-08-2018, 09:50 PM
Would have been dead if not for the singing section.

Nervy energy but then it was broken when the boy behind mes phone went off clear as day and he was able to have a chat with his Mrs as if he was at the bloody snooker.

Didn't help it masel likes just saying

jabis
10-08-2018, 10:32 PM

We'll all be there for it.

Dress code ?

brianmc
10-08-2018, 10:34 PM
My tuppence worth: Blackpool and Bunberry appear to have the same opinion of mercer as I do, and I fully endorse celebrating the horrible ***** demise.

FYI-I watched my mother die of cancer. It's a horrible disease that can strike anybody. Tragically it more often than not affects the good people we know and care about.

BUT that doesn't mean that everyone it does kill retrospectively should be given a halo.

Mercer was/is/and always will be a horrible **** in my opinion - regardless of what he died of.

Back on topic: the guys/gals in the signing section have my backing.
Though from my position in the East (back row, half way line) I can barely hear or see them in their wee corner.

blackpoolhibs
10-08-2018, 11:56 PM
We'll all be there for it.

Dress code ?

Hibs scarfs but nothing else, wouldn't want it to be weird.

Albanian Hibs
11-08-2018, 01:12 AM

Pm me the lyrics

Lemonade
11-08-2018, 01:15 AM
It wasn't that long ago we only sung Hibees Hibees Hibees and Hail Hail.
The number of songs these guys have brought to the party in the past few years has been tremendous.
Some of them are clearly talented whether it be the actual song writing or composition , rythm or just sheer humour .

Remember at the PBS when we sung Hibs Hibs whoa Hibs Hibs for about 15 minutes solid ? No way that would have happened without them .

I personally think they are tremendous and must be the envy of other clubs fans.

I'm also not keen on the cancer references either but completely understand the hatred towards mercer although puzzled how anyone shy of 40 something could understand that feeling.

Keep up the great work guys .

That Hibs in Europe song is also tremendous .
It doesn't even sound like it should fit but it does brilliantly .

The Bartley song too :-) Take a bow whoever came up with that . It's bloody brilliant.

Austinho
11-08-2018, 05:22 AM
I'm also not keen on the cancer references either but completely understand the hatred towards mercer although puzzled how anyone shy of 40 something could understand that feeling.You don’t have to have actually lived through it for the idea of Hibs being killed off by the chairman of our arch rivals to anger and upset you. In the same way young people can still hate Thatcher for the effect she had on older generations, our parents and loved ones, and the effects it had on this country even to this day. Ding Dong the Witch is Dead got to the top of the charts!

southsider
11-08-2018, 08:33 AM
You don’t have to have actually lived through it for the idea of Hibs being killed off by the chairman of our arch rivals to anger and upset you. In the same way young people can still hate Thatcher for the effect she had on older generations, our parents and loved ones, and the effects it had on this country even to this day. Ding Dong the Witch is Dead got to the top of the charts!
Will never forget the feeling when the news broke. In those days i went to every game, i was 22 and Hibs were everything to me. I and hundreds of fans just stood outside ER because we did not know what to do. Meetings were held in the Hibs Club, led by the late Kenny McLean and plans of action agreed. Hands of Hibs t-shirts were made (John Leslie wore one on Blue Peter) and the movement grew. I thought more direct action was called for so we went to his house in the dead of night. My pal was a painter so we had a bucket of wallpaper paste. We covered the walls to his house in Hands of Hibs posters and when we left it looked like a bomb site. His maroon Jag (XX1) was lucky ! He totally freaked. Phoned the Hibs Club soon after and said "Call off your dogs i am pulling out." Dark times but we survived and i and many others will never forget what he tried to do to us.

Keith_M
11-08-2018, 09:03 AM
Would have been dead if not for the singing section.

Nervy energy but then it was broken when the boy behind mes phone went off clear as day and he was able to have a chat with his Mrs as if he was at the bloody snooker.

Didn't help it masel likes just saying

I thought the East Stand were very noisy at times. I actually prefer their singing, as the stand around them (and some in other stands) actually join in.

The FF Singing Section can be very good, but they often seem very isolated and unconnected to the rest of the stands.

The Green Goblin
11-08-2018, 10:49 AM
I thought the East Stand were very noisy at times. I actually prefer their singing, as the stand around them (and some in other stands) actually join in.

The FF Singing Section can be very good, but they often seem very isolated and unconnected to the rest of the stands.

I think it depends on where you sit. Last few games they have created the atmosphere and kept it going almost single handed imo.

blackpoolhibs
11-08-2018, 11:03 AM
Will never forget the feeling when the news broke. In those days i went to every game, i was 22 and Hibs were everything to me. I and hundreds of fans just stood outside ER because we did not know what to do. Meetings were held in the Hibs Club, led by the late Kenny McLean and plans of action agreed. Hands of Hibs t-shirts were made (John Leslie wore one on Blue Peter) and the movement grew. I thought more direct action was called for so we went to his house in the dead of night. My pal was a painter so we had a bucket of wallpaper paste. We covered the walls to his house in Hands of Hibs posters and when we left it looked like a bomb site. His maroon Jag (XX1) was lucky ! He totally freaked. Phoned the Hibs Club soon after and said "Call off your dogs i am pulling out." Dark times but we survived and i and many others will never forget what he tried to do to us.

Was someone with the initial AJ with you? :wink:

southsider
11-08-2018, 12:38 PM
Was someone with the initial AJ with you? :wink:

Yes

blackpoolhibs
11-08-2018, 12:54 PM
Yes

:aok: Good lad is AJ, used to travel all over with him.