PDA

View Full Version : Athens atmosphere at ER

GreenCastle
09-08-2018, 10:09 AM
Still one of the best...

Where does it rank top 5 Hibs atmospheres ?

Arrive early and let’s make sure ER is loud tonight - for the full game.

HibbySpurs
09-08-2018, 10:20 AM
Still one of the best...

Where does it rank top 5 Hibs atmospheres ?

Arrive early and let’s make sure ER is loud tonight - for the full game.

The 2001 game against AEK?

If so in my opinion it ranks as number 1.....

Truly brilliant night, the place went wild when we leveled the tie, remember being in the East and we must have ended up about 10 rows further forward than we started when that went in.

Amazing after as well, chanting "Bring on the Hi-Bees" and they did come back out.... Probably told to as no-one was going anywhere until they did. Which reminds me of the winding up the stewards by singing "you're on single time" :greengrin:greengrin

My now wife was in my flat on Albion Road during the match and to this day she recalls that the windows shook and she thought the building was about to collapse when the roar went up :greengrin

Bukta#8
09-08-2018, 10:41 AM
The noise when the third went in on the last day of the season was incredible
Really hoping that we get fans up the top of the south tonight as it creates a culdren and raises the decibels to record levels

Speedy
09-08-2018, 10:48 AM
It's the one that always stands out as number 1 for me.

Even more so than the cup final. Although the last 10 minutes of the 2-2 game at Tynecastle was something special.

makaveli1875
09-08-2018, 10:53 AM
Athens was my 1st European game , it will take some beating the place was rocking . Dnipro at home was pretty mental too

HibbySpurs
09-08-2018, 10:57 AM
Just imagine if we were to take a last minute aggregate lead in say a play off tie against say a team like Zenit St. Petersburgh.....:greengrin

But, I get ahead of myself, let's take care of Molde first

:hibees

Barman Stanton
09-08-2018, 10:59 AM
May be on my own, but I thought the atmosphere when we went 3 nil up against Rangers in the last game of the season ran the Athens game close. The whole stadium was buzzing as Hibs went on the rampage.

GreenCastle
09-08-2018, 11:40 AM
Felt like Athens was 90 mins plus extra time - non stop singing and a real buzz about the place.

Hard to describe as Scottish Cup Final was obviously something and been to many other games but Athens was loud for nearly full game.

Speedy
09-08-2018, 11:42 AM
May be on my own, but I thought the atmosphere when we went 3 nil up against Rangers in the last game of the season ran the Athens game close. The whole stadium was buzzing as Hibs went on the rampage.

It did but it was shortlived. You're right though, for that 10 minutes it was brilliant and felt like we might actually do it.

GreenCastle
09-08-2018, 11:46 AM
It did but it was shortlived. You're right though, for that 10 minutes it was brilliant and felt like we might actually do it.

Maddest 10 minutes ever - will never have football emotions like that again - can’t even describe it but glad to have been there to feel and witness it.

matty_f
09-08-2018, 11:51 AM

That was a brilliant atmosphere, been a couple of great nights against Hearts where the atmosphere has been brilliant. 1-0 Cummings and the 3-1 in particular.

Smartie
09-08-2018, 11:54 AM
The nature of the new East (steeper, "proper seats" etc) means that for me it will never recreate the atmosphere that used to exist on the old terracing.

It is all very much more civilised these days - it used to be nuts in there. AEK Athens, Dnipro, numerous derbies, victories over Rangers especially but also the ones against Celtic - these were all superb.

ER is still good, no doubt about it but I think the fact that it is still light for a lot of these games takes a wee bit away from them. Evening matches under the lights have something a bit special about them.

As an aside though, a boy I've just started to work with has recently moved to Edinburgh and lives down on Cadiz Street - he said he couldn't believe a few of the roars that went up during the Asteras game, given that he's not exactly next door to the ground.

HibeeHibernian4
09-08-2018, 11:55 AM
Think time has distorted people’s memories of the Athens game. It’s available to watch in full online and, while the last ten/fifteen minutes are very loud, it’s not the case for a lot of the game. We had a far smaller songbook back then, with We are Hibernian FC and Hail Hail being two of the only songs really sung.

sixtwo
09-08-2018, 11:56 AM
I enjoyed the Anderlecht game at ER. That was my first European night.

Athens was great.

6-2 was electric

GreenCastle
09-08-2018, 12:57 PM
The nature of the new East (steeper, "proper seats" etc) means that for me it will never recreate the atmosphere that used to exist on the old terracing.

It is all very much more civilised these days - it used to be nuts in there. AEK Athens, Dnipro, numerous derbies, victories over Rangers especially but also the ones against Celtic - these were all superb.

ER is still good, no doubt about it but I think the fact that it is still light for a lot of these games takes a wee bit away from them. Evening matches under the lights have something a bit special about them.

As an aside though, a boy I've just started to work with has recently moved to Edinburgh and lives down on Cadiz Street - he said he couldn't believe a few of the roars that went up during the Asteras game, given that he's not exactly next door to the ground.

Sat in the old East and the new East currently.

When the new East gets going it's pretty loud - plus been some mad celebrations in there. The old East was mental as there was no real seats and fans scrabbled about etc :greengrin

mjhibby
09-08-2018, 01:04 PM
The anderlecht game was electric but my Fav is the sporting Lisbon 6-1. Just wave after wave of hibs attacks. Also the souness 2-1 game.

GreenCastle
09-08-2018, 01:06 PM
Hibs v Athens goals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvTdzQLFoV4

Onion
09-08-2018, 01:11 PM
AEK was a special night, despite us not getting the result we needed. Arguably the best rendition of SOL ever.

Just goes to show that you cannot contrive or pre-script a great atmosphere. We all imagined what it might be win the Cup but the reality in May 16 was 10 x better than that. The game, situation, response ... everything was perfect.

IGRIGI
09-08-2018, 02:57 PM
DJ Otzi "Hey Baby" being blasted out by 17k+ at HT, those were the days :greengrin

SRHibs
09-08-2018, 02:59 PM
Number 1 for me. Was mental, and also a bit feisty due to 9/11 and their antics in the previous tie.

We’ve had some great atmospheres recently, but without the terracing I doubt anything will ever match Athens.

Jim44
09-08-2018, 03:28 PM
Easy on the flares tonight, lads. :greengrin