PDA

View Full Version : Have we burned our bridges with Celtic?

SouthMoroccoStu
09-08-2018, 06:34 AM
Now McGinn has moved to Aston Villa, have we severely damaged any good relationship we had with Celtic

Now, I’m not suggesting we should have sold SJM for a low price to Celtic to keep them sweet but this could have longer term damage to us

I am extremely proud of Hibs for taking a stand against the old firm trying to get an Scottish based player on the cheap from a rival, I hope the others will follow suit but I also doubt that other clubs are in as strong a position as us to do so

Not a great day for Celtic yesterday. 1-1 with AEK and losing out on McGinn will have the Celtic fans very annoyed at the clubs management. Peter Lawwell getting a lot of criticism online and he is reportedly extremely peeved at us!

His fault for mucking us about and trying to get SJM on the ultra cheap (but this can also be classed as his job, get players for as cheap as possible and sell for as high as possible)

We have done VERY well with loans and transfers in recent seasons, Stokes, McGeough, Henderson, Commons and Ambrose of the top on my head

Which brings me onto Allan... I really doubt that Celtic will be keen to work with us on this transfer (perminent or loan). Call is business or spite but this could be a real sign of things to come.

Hopefully once the dust has settled this will not affect us but I won’t be holding my breath

Time will tell and GGTTH

Andymac85
09-08-2018, 06:36 AM
No need to worry about his (Allan’s) silly little current club playing ball, we will just get him on a pre contract in January. Now where have I heard that before . . .

.Sean.
09-08-2018, 06:40 AM
Let’s just sign Allan on a precontract in January. While we’re at it, thrown in an offer of 6 quid and a Freddo for Dembele to show them the same respect they showed us in their Mickey Mouse pursuit of our best player.

Absolutely get that shower of ****s so far to ****. If this ends the view some folk have that we have a cosy wee relationship with them then that suits me just fine, I feel sick at the notion we have some sort of tie in with that shower.

:giruy2::giruy2::giruy2:

Hibee Mac
09-08-2018, 06:41 AM
If there are any bridges burned it's because of their mindset. We've done nothing wrong? We sold our player to the highest bidder its standard business practice.

allezsauzee
09-08-2018, 06:42 AM
We've had some useful loans from Celtic recently but I don't think they've ever done anything for us that hasn't suited their own agenda. If we are on their coattails in the league and represent a major hurdle to them in the cups, you know that they will be registering their interest in at least one of our players through the media so we shouldn't be getting too cosy with them anyway.

Heisenberg
09-08-2018, 06:43 AM
They only have themselves to blame. They could’ve stumped up what they knew we wanted instead of coming in with low bids. They only matched the asking price when it was too late. None of the blame can lie at our door.

Lawell tried to play a game with Petrie/Dempster and lost badly. He now looks extremely stupid and his manager doesn’t seem too happy with him.

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-08-2018, 06:46 AM
Bridges are built from both sides. McGinn would be a Celtc player this morning if they had really wanted him.

IGRIGI
09-08-2018, 06:46 AM
Cringe factor 20 this pish about our "connections" with Celtic.

****ting it because they might be angry we didnt sell Mcginn to them, 'kin hell..

Nicho87
09-08-2018, 06:48 AM
We accepted their bid eventually as it met the valuation.

Celtic fans won't remember it for that reason though.

Penny pinching lawell lost Rodgers McGinn.

marinello59
09-08-2018, 06:50 AM
We didn’t do business with them on this occasion, we will do business with them again in the future. There never was and never will be any kind of special relationship between us and that lot.

BT58
09-08-2018, 06:50 AM
Hibernian FC had a valuation of SJM. Cellic failed miserably 3 times to meet the correct valuation. Not our fault. Cellic / PL FAULT.We should wait till January and offer a very low sum for SA. See how they feel.
GGTTH
B

Zazu62
09-08-2018, 06:52 AM
They got 7 million for Armstrong. Less than half of that would have been enough for John McGinn.

Borderhibbie76
09-08-2018, 06:53 AM
Let’s just sign Allan on a precontract in January. While we’re at it, thrown in an offer of 6 quid and a Freddo for Dembele to show them the same respect they showed us in their Mickey Mouse pursuit of our best player.

Absolutely get that shower of ****s so far to ****. If this ends the view some folk have that we have a cosy wee relationship with them then that suits me just fine, I feel sick at the notion we have some sort of tie in with that shower.

:giruy2::giruy2::giruy2:Couldn't agree more they are no different to their ugly sisters ###k em I couldn't give a toss if this sours relations. As for Allan...I'm not convinced Lennon even wants him tbh - not seen him mentioned once all summer. If he does and Scotty wants to come back well then it's up to Scott really...he needs to force the move. Otherwise we move on...we've lost far better players than Scott Allan on the past and did just yesterday- we move on to other targets

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
09-08-2018, 06:53 AM
Hibernian FC had a valuation of SJM. Cellic failed miserably 3 times to meet the correct valuation. Not our fault. Cellic / PL FAULT.We should wait till January and offer a very low sum for SA. See how they feel.
GGTTH
B

Exactly, and Celtic only sold Armstrong etc, because their valuation was reached

murray26
09-08-2018, 06:57 AM
We have done very well from them recently and it may or may not harm us going forward but at the end of the day we have done nothing wrong.. We’ve acted in the best interest of our club and I’m sure anyone would have done the same.. if we can’t deal with Celtic from now on we look at different targets..

Captain Trips
09-08-2018, 06:58 AM
They have thought nothing of paying PSG £9m and various other signings over past few years. Absolutely Celtic will have been able to afford the fee for SJM.

They have completely disrespected the very league that they are in and us as a club thinking we are small time and to just sell as we are not PSG etc etc. They have got exactly what they deserve. Disrespect SJM to a degree.

A lot of the talk is about how Celtic missed out but the more important aspect is Hibs strong approach and how that maybe stands us in good steed going forward.

But papers will spin this as a Celtic story rather than a strong positive Hibs one.

Bottom line is Celtic tried to rip the piss with us and play the big man and they should be hoping that we wish to deal with them again.

LancsHibs
09-08-2018, 06:58 AM
Why? Because we sold our player to the highest bidder, that wasn’t them?? It’s a sorry situation that this is even a topic, just goes to show the contempt the OF and OF driven media have for the ‘other clubs’

J-C
09-08-2018, 06:59 AM
They wanted McGinn, we told them how much, they tried to get him on the cheap, if they go away and take the huff well it's their on fault for being miserable tight fisted *******s continually trying to screw all other Scottish clubs of their best players. **** them!

Brooster
09-08-2018, 07:00 AM
I'm not sure if bridges have been burnt but they are being awkward with us on the SA front.

Hibs07p
09-08-2018, 07:04 AM
If we sign any of celtcs players permanently it will be down to market forces or for football reasons, not sentiment. If they want to free up their wage bill, they will deal with anyone regarding their unwanted players. Players they want to loan out, they will loan them to other clubs for football reasons if they are young players and part of their future plans. If, the likes of SA is available for loan and there is a lot of clubs interested, celtc might become more choosy who they let him go to.
If SA wants to come to us then he might just have to bench warm at celtc until they agree to pay up his contract, or we get him in on a pre-contract in January / June.

GGTTH
Scottish Cup Champions 2016

murray26
09-08-2018, 07:05 AM
I would be absolutely shocked if we get Allan now.. they / he does seem very petty.. we have given him a bloody nose and it won’t go down well..

Lendo
09-08-2018, 07:05 AM
I'm not sure if bridges have been burnt but they are being awkward with us on the SA front.

At the end of the day, they are still a business and if Allan doesn't feature in their plans I'm sure they'll be keen to get him off the books, regardless of who makes the bid.

lyonhibs
09-08-2018, 07:09 AM
I hope our "bridges" with that mob are absolutely irreparably scorched if keeping them intact would mean having a "Yes sir, no sir, 3 bags full sir" attitude every time they lob some paltry shekels our way for our best players.

I also hope that Lawell is stewing in his own pish today and that AEK hump them seven ways from Sunday in Greece.

Beefster
09-08-2018, 07:12 AM

I reckon they would have been awkward anyway. That’s Lawwell’s default attitude. **** em.

If Allan really does want to come back, he’s only got 5 months before he can commit.

eezyrider
09-08-2018, 07:14 AM
We haven't burned our bridges because there wasn't a bridge in the first place. It was business.

SJM went to the highest bidder. Business is business and both clubs will move on and will do dealings again in the future.

EZ

Smartie
09-08-2018, 07:17 AM
Every single deal done between the 2 clubs was for the benefit of both clubs.

This deal never got into a position where it was beneficial for both clubs.

If a deal for Scott Allan gets to the position where it is beneficial for both clubs, it will happen (although the goalposts may have moved in terms of what is acceptable in the eyes of Celtic and their fans).

There has never been a special relationship - just an appetite in recent years to make mutually beneficial deals.

.Sean.
09-08-2018, 07:18 AM
I hope our "bridges" with that mob are absolutely irreparably scorched if keeping them intact would mean having a "Yes sir, no sir, 3 bags full sir" attitude every time they lob some paltry shekels our way for our best players.

I also hope that Lawell is stewing in his own pish today and that AEK hump them seven ways from Sunday in Greece.
What. A. Post. 😍

Jim44
09-08-2018, 07:22 AM
The long-running thread on Brenda on KS was entitled:

Brendan Rodgers - “I was born into Celtic....”

Last night it was changed to: Brendan Rodgers - “I was born into Celtic, but if that c*** Lawwell doesn’t get his finger out .....”

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
09-08-2018, 07:28 AM
I think fans on both sides are just thinking like fans.

There are no bridges - Hibs and Celtic have done lots of business lately because it has suited us both. It wasn't philanthropy.

Lawell, Petrie at al don't think or behave like fans- that is both a strength and a weakness for them.

Ultimately if they want to offload allan, they won't really care where he goes.

And from all the reports, we accepted their final bid - so what would they be annoyed about?

Business will be done against between Hibs and Celtic when it suits us both to do it. Be it tomorrow, next week or next year.

Allan also costs Celtic around 500k a year in wages - no CEO would be doing their job properly if they saddled their club with that cost when they didn't want to or need to, but to spite Hibs for a supposed slight.

marinello59
09-08-2018, 07:30 AM

Are they though? Have we even made an official approach for the player? I’m not so sure we have.

heidtheba
09-08-2018, 07:31 AM
If Lawwell had ever mentioned the phrases "Scott Allan", "Hibs" and "Mates rates" in the same sentence then maybe. But no. There's no danger they'd have given us a discount on Allan, if he was coming to us we'd have to pay what was being asked and if another club came in and offered more then he'd be toddling off to them. Not only would they not have done us any favours, I don't think anyone here would have expected them to.
Next up - we didn't do a Jim McLean and refuse to sell SJM to a rival, we named a price and they cheaped out...three times. I'm not surprised John went to Aston Villa. Celtic had an opportunity to show the player they were serious about him and they failed until it looked like they were going to get humped out of the deal. This isn't a huge slight on Celtic, it's just business and any right minded Hibs fan or Celtic fan knows this. The rhetoric from some of their fans (the blog post posted by someone on this forum recently) just screams of entitlement. In that respect I'm delighted we told them to bolt with their crappy cheap offer.
Finally...big well done to Rod and Leanne for sticking it out and maximising what we got. We might not have got Leigh (150k FACT) but we hopefully got a shed load more for McGinn than we might have done had they sold him earlier this summer.

murray26
09-08-2018, 07:31 AM

There are no bridges - Hibs and Celtic have done lots of business lately because it has suited us both. It wasn't philanthropy.

Lawell, Petrie at al don't think or behave like fans- that is both a strength and a weakness for them.

And from all the reports, we accepted their final bid - so what would they be annoyed about?

Business will be done against between Hibs and Celtic when it suits us both to do it. Be it tomorrow, next week or next year.

Allan also costs Celtic around 500k a year in wages - no CEO would be doing their job properly if they saddled their club with that cost when they didn't want to or need to, but to spite Hibs for a supposed slight.

This is the way it should be.. sensible post..

Oscar T Grouch
09-08-2018, 07:33 AM
The only team that burnt any bridges was Celtc by making derisory offers for our best player. We’ve done nothing wrong in this situation, we set a price and stuck to it. Celtc could’ve signed McGinn from us but chose not to. It really is that simple.

hfc rd
09-08-2018, 07:36 AM
Nope, I doubt it. Celtic only have themselves to blame. They made derisory offers which were disrespectful to Hibs and McGinn himself.

Juice Terry
09-08-2018, 07:38 AM
I'd rather concentrate on building bridges with Manchester City.
BB spoke very highly of his time at Hibs, a loan deal each season with players of his ability would be brilliant.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

offshorehibby
09-08-2018, 07:39 AM
Business is business Allen is costing celtic money. Hibs wont be offering money for Allen this window, if anything celtic will pay him off and we'll snap him up. Worst case, a pre contract in January. Think this might be why we've got Hyndman for 6 months.

Elephant Stone
09-08-2018, 07:40 AM
Everyone involved is probably of the opinion that Celtic were trying to get the best deal for themselves and so were we. Don't see any more to it than that.

mjhibby
09-08-2018, 07:41 AM
The only team that burnt any bridges was Celtc by making derisory offers for our best player. We’ve done nothing wrong in this situation, we set a price and stuck to it. Celtc could’ve signed McGinn from us but chose not to. It really is that simple.

Hibs would always have preferred sjm to go to villa especially as the sell on figure could be as much as double the fee. Had celtic of course offered £3m plus Allan hibs would have done a deal. Still can't get my head round lawells attitude given the fees we got for brown and fletcher in the past. The Hyland six month deal suggests we will try and get Allan in January, if he is still there, if not sign him on a pre contract. Celtic definitely forgot who they were dealing with. I'm sure they will be more obstinate but Allan is costing them a good deal of money so the clock is ticking. We shall see.

hfc rd
09-08-2018, 07:45 AM
Had a look on Twitter and some of the Celtic fans are encouraging Aberdeen to make a move for Scott Allan. Oh the irony! 😂😂😂😂

jax67
09-08-2018, 07:46 AM
We accepted their bid eventually as it met the valuation.

Celtic fans won't remember it for that reason though.

Penny pinching lawell lost Rodgers McGinn.

And the next club to call on Rodgers’ services might find it a lot easier to get him.

PeeJay
09-08-2018, 07:47 AM
Tough on Celtic if they are miffed: who cares - it was only a few weeks ago they were moaning about lack of competition from the other clubs in Scotland, while trying to snatch away - yet again - one of our best players to park him on their bench and then wonder why there is a lack of competition in Scotland - Wish we had been in a position to keep him, glad he hasn't taken the easy-medal/money route West ...

number9dream
09-08-2018, 07:50 AM
The worry is Allan goes on loan this month and does well at another club, who then snap him up.
The Hyndman deal looks like a good option B and the speed in which it was done is further proof the club is in good hands in terms of recruitment.

Tug Wilson
09-08-2018, 07:54 AM
This so called Special Relationship always reminds me of the one that the UK apparently has with the US. All one way. The US is happy to pay lip service to it to keep the UK in tow and the UK spends all its time trying not to damage the relationship.

Utter BS.

Hibs have done great business here and struck a blow for all Scottish clubs outside the Uglies. Celtic got their nose blooded but will get over it.

Regards Scott Allan, they may look to loan him for the season or release him by mutual consent but neither will happen until later this month. Whatever is most cost effective for Celtic and agreeable to SA.

If he is released then we must have a decent chance of signing him at that point. If they loan him out (not to us) then we have to wait and see how that pans out but I don't see a Scottish club that suits him like we do and not sure many clubs down South will be knocking on the door.

jacomo
09-08-2018, 07:57 AM
Nope, I doubt it. Celtic only have themselves to blame. They made derisory offers which were disrespectful to Hibs and McGinn himself.

:agree:

Something for Celtc to reflect on. Doubt they will.

Their attempt to low ball us (and no doubt tap up SJM at the same time) were counterproductive and dumb.

BullsCloseHibs
09-08-2018, 07:58 AM
Now McGinn has moved to Aston Villa, have we severely damaged any good relationship we had with Celtic

Now, I’m not suggesting we should have sold SJM for a low price to Celtic to keep them sweet but this could have longer term damage to us

I am extremely proud of Hibs for taking a stand against the old firm trying to get an Scottish based player on the cheap from a rival, I hope the others will follow suit but I also doubt that other clubs are in as strong a position as us to do so

Not a great day for Celtic yesterday. 1-1 with AEK and losing out on McGinn will have the Celtic fans very annoyed at the clubs management. Peter Lawwell getting a lot of criticism online and he is reportedly extremely peeved at us!

His fault for mucking us about and trying to get SJM on the ultra cheap (but this can also be classed as his job, get players for as cheap as possible and sell for as high as possible)

We have done VERY well with loans and transfers in recent seasons, Stokes, McGeough, Henderson, Commons and Ambrose of the top on my head

Which brings me onto Allan... I really doubt that Celtic will be keen to work with us on this transfer (perminent or loan). Call is business or spite but this could be a real sign of things to come.

Hopefully once the dust has settled this will not affect us but I won’t be holding my breath

Time will tell and GGTTH

Hibs were just doing their job trying to get as much as possible. I couldn't care what Celtic think, now or in the future. We look after Hibs. Not Celtic.

Sir David Gray
09-08-2018, 08:04 AM
I didn't realise we had a bridge with Celtic that could be burned in the first place.

Even if we did, why should we sell our best player to them for less than we thought he was worth, especially since another club has come in for him a few days later for more money? Celtic then apparently matched that offer when they found out we had accepted Aston Villa's offer so it's clear they were just messing us about with the first few bids.

If anything then it's Celtic who are responsible for any bridge burning and if it now means that we'll have less of the patronising pish from them then that suits me just fine.

**** Celtic.

SlickShoes
09-08-2018, 08:09 AM
F*** them. They undervalued one of the best Scottish midfielders for a generation and now he will probably never play for them.

Special relationship stuff is a nonsense, they are as bad as The Rangers.

ben johnson
09-08-2018, 08:11 AM
Tough on Celtic if they are miffed: who cares - it was only a few weeks ago they were moaning about lack of competition from the other clubs in Scotland, while trying to snatch away - yet again - one of our best players to park him on their bench and then wonder why there is a lack of competition in Scotland - Wish we had been in a position to keep him, glad he hasn't taken the easy-medal/money route West ...

We were partly to blame for the poor result against AEK as the lack of serious competition in the League has always held them back in Europe. The fact that we have held out for more money in order to bolster our squad will have all connected with Celtic absolutely cock- a - hoops.

EricStoner
09-08-2018, 08:12 AM
"Blazers" on committees in the juniors occasionally opt for, "These bawbags' chairman voted against us in a disciplinary hearing in 1997. I'll not back their points deduction appeal now!"
I doubt that happens too often at top levels of the pro game.
Rodgers appears to have wanted SJM. Lawwell & Co. presumably didn't see him as a starter. So they weren't especially ersed if he signed or not.
I doubt Rodgers is pished at anyone except his board. I doubt he has much say in which benchwarmers are shipped out.
I'd be surprised if even the Old Firm were so petty & unprofessional as to allow the SJM saga to get in the way of a deal for SA. His situation remains the same. We can't afford his current wages. He's a £50k player on Dundee's view of him. He's a £150k player on his place in the Celtic pecking order. He's a 500k player on his 4 months back with us. Sneaking him through normal "due process" as part of the SJM deal would've got over the problems. Getting him as a stand alone signing would be difficult. Similar situation to Jamie Mac. Hard to resolve.

Bostonhibby
09-08-2018, 08:17 AM
To be fair to them they don't really understand the concept of selling to the highest bidder since they only really sell players to Southampton so there won't be much of a process. There's Southamptons offer and no other bids for the feeder club to worry about☺

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Crazyhorse
09-08-2018, 08:18 AM
Couldn't agree more they are no different to their ugly sisters ###k em I couldn't give a toss if this sours relations. As for Allan...I'm not convinced Lennon even wants him tbh - not seen him mentioned once all summer. If he does and Scotty wants to come back well then it's up to Scott really...he needs to force the move. Otherwise we move on...we've lost far better players than Scott Allan on the past and did just yesterday- we move on to other targets

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I agree, couldn't care less about the green bigots.
On Allan. Lennon may well be keen to bring him back but I think he is canny enough not to advertise it to Celtic (maybe he has told Scott).

IWasThere2016
09-08-2018, 08:23 AM
I think it has been painful - overly painful - to get to this point however, we are now in a position where we do not need to sell to Celtc.

How anyone can think accepting £7m for Armstrong and then offering a fraction of this for a better player in SJM would be acceptable to Hibs is beyond me.

If the Lesser Limes are looking for a blame game then they need look no further than their Chief Exec. He tried and failed to weaken us with a derisory offer(s).

With regard to 'matching' Villa's offer .. so what .. are Celtc saying that (say) Hibs bid £200,000 for SA and Sevco bid £200,001 that they'd sell to Sevoc?!? Would they f##k!

So moving on, I understand SA is negotiating his release from the Biscuit Tims .. and I hope we are in for him!

Glory Glory! :flag:

PS - looking forward to watching SJM at Villa when they come to Bolton and :top marks to RP and LD on this one! :agree:

snooky
09-08-2018, 08:26 AM
Business is business Allen is costing celtic money. Hibs wont be offering money for Allen this window, if anything celtic will pay him off and we'll snap him up. Worst case, a pre contract in January. Think this might be why we've got Hyndman for 6 months.

I think Allan will be sold but it won't be to us and it won't be due to any malice from Celtc. Hope I'm wrong though.

jeffers
09-08-2018, 08:30 AM
What seems to be forgotten by those of a Celtic persuasion is that they f****d us about when we wanted to sign Liam Henderson. All this them doing us "favours" was because it suited them to do so. I will be really disappointed if we don't get Scott Allan, but Hibs have done nothing wrong in this at all, we placed a value on a player and held out 'til a team offered it.

makaveli1875
09-08-2018, 08:37 AM
Celtic only have 1 person to blame for losing John .. Lawell

They could have had him weeks ago but Lawell thought he had Leeann/Rod over a barrell , Leeann/Rod gambled on losing him for nothing , the gamble paid off .

Leeann/Rod whoever was negotiating played a blinder here :flag:

Captain Trips
09-08-2018, 08:40 AM
Celtic only have 1 person to blame for losing John .. Lawell

They could have had him weeks ago but Lawell thought he had Leeann/Rod over a barrell , Leeann/Rod gambled on losing him for nothing , the gamble paid off .

Leeann/Rod whoever was negotiating played a blinder here :flag:

Indeed a great performance from the club as good a performance as SJM put in.

Stevie Reid
09-08-2018, 08:41 AM
Everyone involved is probably of the opinion that Celtic were trying to get the best deal for themselves and so were we. Don't see any more to it than that.

Exactly. If we pursue a deal for Allan, the terms will be the same - if we meet Celtic's valuation of him, we can talk to Scott.

09-08-2018, 08:43 AM
GGTTH
B

My thoughts exactly, you've saved the bother of typing it.

J-C
09-08-2018, 08:43 AM
Scott McDonald was saying on the radio that Celtic have 4 levels of pay structure, the lower being squad players and the higher being the top stars, if McGinn is getting the wage suggested he'd be on level 4 wage at Celtic and Lawwell would only see him as a level 2 wage, around the same as Allan £7k.

Going to Villa was a no brainer for McGinn as Celtic only seen him as an option from the bench and not a starter.

09-08-2018, 08:44 AM
Scott McDonald was saying on the radio that Celtic have 4 levels of pay structure, the lower being squad players and the higher being the top stars, if McGinn is getting the wage suggested he'd be on level 4 wage at Celtic and Lawwell would only see him as a level 2 wage, around the same as Allan £7k.

Going to Villa was a no brainer for McGinn as Celtic only seen him as an option from the bench and not a starter.

Heard that, sounded as if it could be about right.

Onion
09-08-2018, 08:53 AM
They are hurting on so many levels. Hibs refusing to accept their crumby offers, Hibs getting a better deal elsewhere, and ultimately John choosing a lower league English club over them. Their sense of self-importance and delusion challenged in so many ways. Their media buddies were also embarrassed. Well done Hibs.

PapillonVert
09-08-2018, 08:54 AM
I suppose they could do it but it would be cutting off their nose to spite their face. We have been able in the past to give game time at a good level to players in their squad who couldn't get in their team and were languishing on and sometimes not even on the bench.

Also by taking them on loan, we have helped save on their wage bill. So, all in all, an arrangement that has suited both clubs. Having a major strop over THEIR failure to capture SJM would be counter-productive IMO

They should use the experience as a valuable lesson to be learned - don't mess with Rod and Leeann and stop treating Scottish clubs so arrogantly.

SirDavidsNapper
09-08-2018, 09:02 AM
What did they want Hibs to do? Give them McGinn for pennies when everyone knows they have the money? Celtic have arsed this up massively and only have themselves to blame.

They would rather spend millions on fancy lighting and grass for Champions League games than pay the going rate for a clubs best player. They've lost out on an absolute gem.

danhibees1875
09-08-2018, 09:05 AM
We can't go about giving them preferential treatment. But once they matched the AV offer (assuming it was actually, and wholly, matched) then it may have been in our interests to see him go there instead. It is what it is though, and they messed up and then SJM made a decision - there isn't much they could actually be annoyed at Hibs about if they stopped to think about it.

It's a shame if we can't continue to deal with them amicably though, as they have certainly provided us with some quality players recently and we are, presumably, trying to continue that trend with another Allan deal.

PapillonVert
09-08-2018, 09:06 AM
What did they want Hibs to do? Give them McGinn for pennies when everyone knows they have the money?

Yes, they are arrogant enough to presume that they are entitled to expect other clubs in Scotland to kowtow to their every whim! We should be grateful for any crumbs they condescend to allow to come our way.

They need to learn some respect but I wonder if this experience will just present them with another excuse to nurse their historic (and unjustified) sense of grievance and blame Hibs for their own obvious failings.

TheReg!
09-08-2018, 09:09 AM
I think if Hibs come in for Scott Allan, Brenda will be happy to let him come to us. He’s obviously pissed off with the board and will want to make a point. I can genuinely see him walking soon in any case!

Nevi_SOL
09-08-2018, 09:13 AM
Surely this is like saying Celtic selling to Liverpool is burning bridges with Southampton, we’ve just done them a favour and cut out the middle man

Shrekko
09-08-2018, 09:15 AM
Celtic have been difficult to deal with every time we’ve dealt with them recently regardless of whether deals were done or not. It’s just business!

We accepted their bid which was the same as Villa’s - where the problem?

Ask Brendan Rodgers who’s to blames and I bet he won’t say Hibs!!

IWasThere2016
09-08-2018, 09:20 AM

McDonald clearly knows .. as that is indeed how Celtc work, and SA is on £7k basic a week..

Hibs Class
09-08-2018, 09:21 AM
Are they though? Have we even made an official approach for the player? I’m not so sure we have.

I don't know whether we have or not, but I think that's because we do our business in private rather than updating the media at every step, or responding to media speculation.

jacomo
09-08-2018, 09:25 AM
I think if Hibs come in for Scott Allan, Brenda will be happy to let him come to us. He’s obviously pissed off with the board and will want to make a point. I can genuinely see him walking soon in any case!

Brenda will only walk if he has another job lined up.

Which EPL club might want him? Leicester maybe?

Jamesie
09-08-2018, 09:27 AM
The pages of history show that Celtic has benefited more from Hibernian than Hibernian has ever benefited from Celtic IMHO, irrespective of how any loan agreements over the past half dozen seasons may cloud that analysis.

Where was Celtic during our darkest days of 1990/1991?

Sylar
09-08-2018, 09:30 AM
If any such bridges ever existed, I hope this has well and truly nuked them.

As a club, Celtc are a cancer to the Scottish League. They built an empire on Irish politics and religious sectarianism - they appealed to a sect of society that buys into that particular narrative and amassed solid money to let them kick on (it's a reason they've no real interest in eradicating this from their club's identity - it's worth too much money). They've used that money to build and grow, and now hold a financial axe over the entirety of Scottish football. They seem to think that gives them power, and they've wielded that for their own self-interests for seasons.

Their almost inevitable guarantee of Champions League football and the money that brings properly gives them an arrogance. They devalue every other club in the country, offering paltry sums for their best players, then having the audacity to blame everybody else for their failures in Europe because of a lack of domestic competition. They then loan these great prospects out to other clubs, providing temporary quality to teams except when they have to play against them. Thus meaning they control yet another part of the league dynamics. Not to mention that referees are ****-scared of them because of how the club has outwardly villified them in years gone by.

I'd be quite happy if not a single Hibernian player ever heads along the M8 to join them ever again, unless their board learn to value players accordingly and stop insulting us (and every other club in the country). I wish their fans would **** off with their "special connection" garbage, and I wish ours would too. I wish our fans would remember that banner they unfurled at Easter Road a few years back, calling us their feeder club (that banner is the reason I'll never put an "i" in their name again).

They're a horrible institution, top to bottom, back to front. Not the kind of club I'd be proud to have any connections to, even if it does mean the odd loan deal here and there. These don't progress us as a team, as you can only build one season at a time anyway. So while it would be nice to have players of Allan's calibre at the club, if they're going ot be dicks because we sold our player at our valuation, then **** them. **** **** **** them. And **** them some more.

Hibs1969
09-08-2018, 09:35 AM
Rodgers might be happy dealing but us but Lawwell most certainly won’t be for the next wee while. I can’t see him giving us the steam off his p*ss for the foreseeable future.

Galahibby
09-08-2018, 09:37 AM
It's just business... is what they kept telling us every time they upped their *****y offer by £250k. Works both ways. **** them, and their evil twins in Govan!

09-08-2018, 09:59 AM
Hibs haven't done anything wrong, we put a price tag on our best player, Celtic didn't meet that so we rightly told them no. Typical OF, take the huff when someone refuses to roll over and do exactly what they want. Them and the huns have always been the same, try to tap up any talent in Scotland for dirt cheap.

Good on hibs for standing firm and refusing to budge. I couldn't care less if they love us or hate us, no way should we be letting them away with stealing our best player for a pitence just to keep them sweet. **** them. They had the money to meet our asking price but they tried to play silly beggars and showed their usual disrespect to another Scottish club.

More fool them, they missed out on a cracking player. It's not hibs the celtic fans should be angry at, it's their board.

NAE NOOKIE
09-08-2018, 10:10 AM
Celtic are just another club. Of late we have conducted a number of loan deals for their players, but the fact that both our managers at the time were well liked and respected Celtic old boys was a far bigger factor than any so called 'special relationship' between us and them … if proof of that was required Celtic's conduct in this affair is all you need.

They have done just as well out of the loan deals as we have, by keeping their fringe players in the shop window their value has been maintained or even increased, Liam Henderson ( Bari ) and Anthony Stokes ( Blackburn ) being cases in point, with both players stints with us being a success.

Besides that, if we are going to have a 'special relationship' with a club at all I would far rather it was Man City … what shouldn't be forgotten is that had we faced Celtic and not Sevco in the 2016 cup final both Stokes and Henderson would have been unavailable to play. If you are going to win anything in this country you will almost certainly at some point have to beat Celtic, and to do that you will need your strongest line up possible on the park, the fewer players of theirs you have on the books the better.

If Celtic thought our gratitude for the crumbs from their table had actually created some sort of bond between the clubs that meant we were going to bend over and let them shaft us they clearly had forgotten who they were dealing with, we have proved in the past that the folk in our boardroom are shrewd operators when it comes to transfer dealings. Its not 100% certain that that was the case, but if it was they were as delusional as their supporters when it comes to Celtic's 'relationship' with Hibs … shared history and colours or not, they are a rival, nothing more nothing less, and if the dawning realisation of that puts them in a big huff that's just too bad.

Mainstandman
09-08-2018, 10:15 AM

Time will tell and GGTTH

They gave us those players whilst we were in the championship, not a direct competitor

07BigD
09-08-2018, 10:18 AM
There will come a time again when one of our players ends up going to Celtic in the future but it will be for the right price, Celtic made an arse of this, if they knew how highly he is rated they should have bid appropriately.

I don't think it will sour things players come and go all the time deals fall through, it's just football.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

ballengeich
09-08-2018, 10:27 AM
https://thecelticblog.com/2018/08/blogs/the-mcginn-saga-is-almost-over-with-no-outright-winner-except-villa/

A typically magnanimous Celic fan's perspective with inside financial knowledge included.

Jim44
09-08-2018, 10:27 AM

Celtic have been difficult to deal with every time we’ve dealt with them recently regardless of whether deals were done or not. It’s just business!

We accepted their bid which was the same as Villa’s - where the problem?

Ask Brendan Rodgers who’s to blames and I bet he won’t say Hibs!!

It was clear in the run up to McGinn’s decision that a lot of ‘high profile’ folk, including Rodgers, were saying that Hibs were absolutely right to hold out for the best price they could get. In the case of Rodgers, I’m certain that despite patronising us, he believed deep down that McGinn was theirs.

ancient hibee
09-08-2018, 10:36 AM

Time will tell and GGTTH

Bridges with Celtic?Who cares?Anyone who thinks Celtic did us favours over transfers and loans should get out more.The only reason any players came to us from Celtic was because they didn’t want them.

Jim44
09-08-2018, 10:39 AM
https://thecelticblog.com/2018/08/blogs/the-mcginn-saga-is-almost-over-with-no-outright-winner-except-villa/

A typically magnanimous Celic fan's perspective with inside financial knowledge included.

The guy’s a blinkered muppet like 99.9% of them.

Captain Trips
09-08-2018, 10:46 AM
If SJM was playing for Villa and Celtic wanted him I bet they would have paid what was asked. They seem to think nothing of paying out millions for players outside SPL but when it comes to players from the SPL they want it seems they are to be the cheap purchases.

cabbageandribs1875
09-08-2018, 10:51 AM
It was clear in the run up to McGinn’s decision that a lot of ‘high profile’ folk, including Rodgers, were saying that Hibs were absolutely right to hold out for the best price they could get. In the case of Rodgers, I’m certain that despite patronising us, he believed deep down that McGinn was theirs.

he certainly did :agree:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/16339778.brendan-rodgers-reveals-john-mcginn-is-set-to-sign-for-celtic-with-scott-allan-off-to-hibs/

In what for the Celtic manager were uncharacteristically candid remarks about a transfer target – he normally sidesteps such matters – the Northern Irishman revealed he expected Hibernian to agree a deal which would also see Scott Allan move to Easter Road on a permanent transfer.

and chris sutton was bang-on in another glasgow paper : It has been suggested Hibs are looking for £4million and Celtic fans see that as a bit steep for a guy with 12 months left in his contract.But you can’t flog Armstrong for £7m and then low ball the Easter Road club. If anything I think they’ll need to go to £5m for McGinn – but he’d be worth it.

JeMeSouviens
09-08-2018, 10:53 AM

Usual max-pishness from him:

Hibs will have a sell-on clause, and they, too, will do nicely out of that.

But it won’t be the kind of profit they would have got had he been performing in the Champions League and winning trophies and making the move from Celtic Park.

Yeah right: Stuart Armstrong £7M, Martyn Waghorn £5M - case closed. :wink:

WestStandWillie
09-08-2018, 10:57 AM
A load of tosh.

They tried tae mug us off and it back fired. Their fans are some of the biggest morons in Scottish football and that CelticBlog daeing the rounds is honkin

therealgavmac
09-08-2018, 11:17 AM
Bridges are built from both sides. McGinn would be a Celtc player this morning if they had really wanted him.

Lets not also forget, if John REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to play for them, he could easily have politely said no to Villa and bided his time..... Even more respect for him now

SeanWilson
09-08-2018, 11:20 AM
Could not give a flying F about anyone other than Hibs. Celtic's stance on McGinn was pathetic and showed the complete and utter lack of respect they have. BR said as much. Hope they get papped out the CL next week. I'm gutted to lose McGinn but delighted he's left for England.

WeeRussell
09-08-2018, 11:27 AM
**** Celtic. We can build new bridges with Villa as their fans seem to love us on twitter now :greengrin

Always despised Celtic and that wasn't going to change either way, whatever happened with McGinn. If this means some more of them don't like us either then I'm okay with that.

Scott Allan still please though :greengrin

Joe6-2
09-08-2018, 11:27 AM
Lawell can be as peeved as he likes at us, did he think we would just roll over, sell our prized asset at a knock down price to a rival club and thank him for his generosity?
F*** him,

I'm Spartacus
09-08-2018, 11:28 AM
Unreal thread IMO. And we wonder why we get called the Celtic feeder club. As said a few posts back - 'kin hell.

Sir David Gray
09-08-2018, 11:33 AM
If any such bridges ever existed, I hope this has well and truly nuked them.

As a club, Celtc are a cancer to the Scottish League. They built an empire on Irish politics and religious sectarianism - they appealed to a sect of society that buys into that particular narrative and amassed solid money to let them kick on (it's a reason they've no real interest in eradicating this from their club's identity - it's worth too much money). They've used that money to build and grow, and now hold a financial axe over the entirety of Scottish football. They seem to think that gives them power, and they've wielded that for their own self-interests for seasons.

Their almost inevitable guarantee of Champions League football and the money that brings properly gives them an arrogance. They devalue every other club in the country, offering paltry sums for their best players, then having the audacity to blame everybody else for their failures in Europe because of a lack of domestic competition. They then loan these great prospects out to other clubs, providing temporary quality to teams except when they have to play against them. Thus meaning they control yet another part of the league dynamics. Not to mention that referees are ****-scared of them because of how the club has outwardly villified them in years gone by.

I'd be quite happy if not a single Hibernian player ever heads along the M8 to join them ever again, unless their board learn to value players accordingly and stop insulting us (and every other club in the country). I wish their fans would **** off with their "special connection" garbage, and I wish ours would too. I wish our fans would remember that banner they unfurled at Easter Road a few years back, calling us their feeder club (that banner is the reason I'll never put an "i" in their name again).

They're a horrible institution, top to bottom, back to front. Not the kind of club I'd be proud to have any connections to, even if it does mean the odd loan deal here and there. These don't progress us as a team, as you can only build one season at a time anyway. So while it would be nice to have players of Allan's calibre at the club, if they're going ot be dicks because we sold our player at our valuation, then **** them. **** **** **** them. And **** them some more.

Outstanding.

**** Celtic.

iwasthere1972
09-08-2018, 11:36 AM
We knew that John McGinn would be gone soon and I was relieved to find out that he had chosen Aston Villa over Celtic. Too often we see players choose to go to Celtic either for the money or guaranteed medals if they are able to get game time. Again we've seen talent wasted sitting on the bench. John McGinn will not only be remembered for what he did in his three years at Hibs but also the way he conducted himself while all this transfer talk was going on. The man oozes class and it showed again in his interview on the Aston Villa site. He's not a dafty and knows what he wants and how to get it.

C'mon the Villa. GIRUY Celtic.

Johnny Clash
09-08-2018, 11:36 AM
Celtc lost out fair and square. Villa offered a deal that suited Hibs and SJM better so that’s that. It’s not just about the headline buying price but also other factors: pay & conditions, sell on %, game time etc So both Hibs and presumably SJM concluded Villa offer was better.

We move on ... we weren’t able to stump up enough for Hendo so we never signed him. Hibs never went in a huff with Celtc cause of that. We may not be able to offer the best deal for Scotty Allan either. You just need to suck it up and get on with it...

Waxy
09-08-2018, 11:37 AM
Didnt Celtic moan about the lack of competition in this league? Well here we are! Bring it on.

matty_f
09-08-2018, 11:37 AM
Celtc would have had cause for grievance if we'd sold McGinn for less than they'd offered, but we didn't - we waited until someone paid the going rate for him. They knew the price and could have offered that at any point prior to Villa coming in for him, so they only have themselves to blame.

Smartie
09-08-2018, 11:38 AM
Have Celtic burned their bridges with us?

The two clubs have had a decent working relationship over the past few years.

Celtic have done very nicely indeed from shifting players who were miles out of their first team picture over to us, saving them valuable wages that could be put towards other targets.

On some occasions those players have been able to put themselves in the window and gone on to secure themselves permanent moves.

Several players have improved as a result of the first team football enjoyed at Hibs and have been unfortunate to have fallen just short of the level required to make an impact at Celtic Park.

Does their behaviour over the McGinn transfer jeopardise our willingness to do business with them in future, or should we continue to be adult about the whole affair and if any deal crops up that suits both parties then we put recent differences aside and go ahead and do the deal?

Fife-Hibee
09-08-2018, 11:42 AM
Never really bought into the idea that we had some sort of special connection set up with them. It has all been purely business imo. Good business for us, but business non the less. This was business as well. We got a better offer from elsewhere and went with it.

HibeeHibernian4
09-08-2018, 12:00 PM
Burning any bridges we may have had with a club that whores their Irish roots out to make a quick buck off gullible plastic paddies the world over would be a fantastic bonus to the McGinn deal.

Hibernian FC, first, orginal and better.

Caversham Green
09-08-2018, 12:09 PM

That guy's hilarious. He's got so many things wrong on this story he's starting to look like a parody of himself.

WeeRussell
09-08-2018, 12:17 PM
That guy's hilarious. He's got so many things wrong on this story he's starting to look like a parody of himself.

What an absolute goat. His blogs remind of hun statements.

Caversham Green
09-08-2018, 12:21 PM
What an absolute goat. His blogs remind of hun statements.

:agree: Has anyone ever seen James Forrest and James Traynor in the same room?

WhileTheChief..
09-08-2018, 12:22 PM
Weird thread.

There was never a bridge to burn.

We had, and will continue to have, a good working relationship with them at board level, the way it should be.

God help us if we do ever get fan ownership, we would be going in the huff non stop with every other club!!

SirDavidsNapper
09-08-2018, 12:24 PM
A huge proportion of Rangers fans are blinkered beyond belief, so "staunch" in their views and upbringing that they can't see the wood for the trees. A huge proportion of Celtic fans are just plain thick.

Paisley Hibby
09-08-2018, 12:45 PM

Time will tell and GGTTH

On the contrary, in business you respect folk who are strong enough to hold out against you for the best deal. And you base decisions on business interests not emotions. Taking the huff isn't an option.

NAE NOOKIE
09-08-2018, 12:48 PM
Unreal thread IMO. And we wonder why we get called the Celtic feeder club. As said a few posts back - 'kin hell.

Who calls us that apart from Celtic fans at the wind up and Yams? As one of only two clubs with the financial clout in Scotland to be able to afford Hibs best players its hardly the shock of the century that a few of our players have gone to them.

I'm Spartacus
09-08-2018, 12:56 PM
Who calls us that apart from Celtic fans at the wind up and Yams? As one of only two clubs with the financial clout in Scotland to be able to afford Hibs best players its hardly the shock of the century that a few of our players have gone to them.

The only clubs that give us any jip are Hearts, Celtic and SevCo fans. We don't have a 'special bond' or connection to Celtic Football Club and for any of our fans to have any concern that we've 'burnt our bridges' is the exact small time thinking that have held us back for years. Thankfully Lenny thinks bigger than some of our support do.

MyJo
09-08-2018, 01:02 PM
Had Celtic made a reasonable offer for SJM then the likelihood is it would have been accepted by us and McGinn would have happily signed a contract with them for about £10k a week.

By the time they agreed to pay our price they had let Villa make him feel valued and wanted as a player while waving a £20k a week contract at him. That's on them, and if they are pissed off with us because of it then that is simply an added bonus and long may we continue to be a thorn in the side of every team west of Leith Walk.

Franck Stanton
09-08-2018, 01:15 PM
Sorry if already posted ( haven't read entire thread), but, if both AV & Celtic offered same transfer fee as reported, which Hibs accepted, then it was up to the player to chose who he signed for. Therefore if the smellies have any grievance then, surely it would be with the player. Don't really care if the smellies go in the huff, phutt them.

WhileTheChief..
09-08-2018, 03:04 PM
Who says Celtic are raging about this?

Everything I’ve read has Celtic fans blaming Lawell.

Where is all this blame Hibs stuff coming from other than our own fans imaginations?!

Smartie
09-08-2018, 03:19 PM
Who says Celtic are raging about this?

Everything I’ve read has Celtic fans blaming Lawell.

Where is all this blame Hibs stuff coming from other than our own fans imaginations?!

From the Celtic-minded blogosphere.

Crackpots who live in a strange fantasy land, writing unbearable long-winded tripe.

I think deep down about 99% of Hibs and Celtic fans know what went on and aren't really getting to worked up about it.

They wanted the player - he wasn't top of their list of priorities and with no obvious competition they tried to get him at a lower price. In the end he attracted a bit more attention and chose to move somewhere else - down South, somewhere that he stated on many occasions he wanted to play. Celtic made a decent bid too late, a bid that would have taken up a chunk of their budget for a player who was not really a priority for them (compared to other positions).

Celtic then had a poor result in Europe, and there is a bit of gnashing and wailing going on as a result.

No big deal, it will all blow over, we will all move on.

noz
09-08-2018, 05:53 PM
I may have missed this already on the thread but OP is slightly misleading as in according to bbc radio last night, Celtic DID outbid Villa on Monday so it was up to the player to decide and McGinn chose Villa as he said he will get more first team action with them.

Jdawg
09-08-2018, 06:19 PM

Time will tell and GGTTH F them!

Paisley Hibby
09-08-2018, 07:24 PM
From the Celtic-minded blogosphere.

Crackpots who live in a strange fantasy land, writing unbearable long-winded tripe.

I think deep down about 99% of Hibs and Celtic fans know what went on and aren't really getting to worked up about it.

They wanted the player - he wasn't top of their list of priorities and with no obvious competition they tried to get him at a lower price. In the end he attracted a bit more attention and chose to move somewhere else - down South, somewhere that he stated on many occasions he wanted to play. Celtic made a decent bid too late, a bid that would have taken up a chunk of their budget for a player who was not really a priority for them (compared to other positions).

Celtic then had a poor result in Europe, and there is a bit of gnashing and wailing going on as a result.

No big deal, it will all blow over, we will all move on.

Excellent post mate. A fantasy land occupied by loads of wee guys with personal hygiene issues, big laptops and a belief that ssccheltic are a sspessschull club (like no other).

Bostonhibby
09-08-2018, 07:29 PM
Excellent post mate. A fantasy land occupied by loads of wee guys with personal hygiene issues, big laptops and a belief that ssccheltic are a sspessschull club (like no other).[emoji106]

Aye, they're a special bunch the dentally challenged.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Unseen work
10-08-2018, 12:18 AM
When they put in an acceptable bid it was accepted and all was fair game.

We proved we were right to reject there shocking offers.

Lawell will now know he made a massive mistake as the Rodgers isn’t happy.

kaimendhibs
10-08-2018, 12:34 AM
Who cares about Celtc. They don't give a **** about us. They wanted to shaft us and St. Mirren and lost out because of it. No luck I say. Patronising ********s the lot of them

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Nutmegged
10-08-2018, 10:15 AM
We've did incredibly well from the arrangement we've had with Celtic in recent years but I dont think Celtic did it for the sake of being a generous Samaritan, they had players they no longer wanted and were happy to use us a shop window to hopefully get their players moved on and off their wage bill.

Hibs wouldn't accept Celtic's bids which were below our valuation, we probably over valued McGinn while they undervalued him and there was probably hope that we'd meet somewhere in the middle, that never materialised though and Celtic only had a bid accepted after Villa had agreed terms with the player.

If we refused point blank to accept a bid from Celtic that matched that of Villa's then I'd totally understand any frustration they might have toward us but we have literally done nothing wrong in this episode, we lost our star player and got the highest amount we're ever likely to get for him, an amount that Celtic themselves eventually met and which was accepted.

If Celtic don't want to use us to put their players in the shop window or give them invaluable playing time with a very good manager who would have their best interests at heart than thats up to them but we can't, we shouldn't and we absolutely won't be portrayed as the bad ones in all of this.

DH1875
10-08-2018, 11:00 AM
I'm confused, did we not end up accepting an offer from celtic and it was SJM who turned them down and chose Villa. If there are any bridges to be burnt, how've we burnt them :confused:

AndyM_1875
10-08-2018, 12:26 PM

All that guys output is dreadful and clueless. He's a full on spittle on the keyboard zoomer. The Celtic bloggers have shown themselves up to be utterly clueless throughout the whole McGinn transfer saga. From the demented Phil MacGhiollabain who tweeted how McGinn to Sellik was a done deal to the loonies howling about Petrie but this however topped it off for me.
From CQN
https://www.celticquicknews.co.uk/mcginn-will-sign-for-villa/

If you change the teams names around this piece could have come straight from the pen of Jim Traynor at Ibrox. Utterly dripping with entitlement and reeking of succulent lamb. One of the most embarrassing pieces I have read.

Greenworld
11-08-2018, 08:01 AM
Don't be confused that's exactly what happened.
John his agent and his family made the decision of where to go they had a choice but only in extra time so to speak.
He spoke at length with BR whilst at Villa ( conveniently forgot) by celtic fans.
Decision was John's hibs did nothing wrong here.
The fee seems to be the big discussion but you got to believe that it's closer to 4 than 3 and let's not forget Hibs had a duty to St mirren which we carried out in full .

I'm confused, did we not end up accepting an offer from celtic and it was SJM who turned them down and chose Villa. If there are any bridges to be burnt, how've we burnt them :confused:

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

O'Rourke3
11-08-2018, 09:04 AM
Andy that blog is on a par with sickbag at its finest..

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Spike Mandela
11-08-2018, 10:15 AM
Business is business. If Hibs put a bid in for Griffiths about £1m under Celtic’s valuation they wouldn’t accept it. Don’t see why this has to alter professional relationships between the two clubs.

The Green Goblin
11-08-2018, 02:06 PM

Good post!

The thread title should have read: “Have Celtic burned their bridges with Hibs?”

Dashing Bob S
11-08-2018, 02:18 PM
Celtic have more to worry about than Hibs. If they don’t back Rogers they could completely self sabotage their 10 in a row plans and give the Huns and Gerard (to say nothing of us and A’deen) a massive initiative handing boost. A Lawell appointment of Delia class would do it in completing the ‘snatching decline from the jaws of dominance’ cycle.

Famous Fiver
11-08-2018, 03:07 PM
Probably discussed elsewhere on the forum but neither Christie nor Allan could make the Celtic bench today.

Both of them have proved in the past just how much better they are than any of the Jambo mob and would quite easily have ripped them apart today.

I would take one, or both, on loan or straight purchase right now.

Instead of whining about lack of action from his Board Mr Rogers would be better advised to pick his best players.

I think he is under pressure.