PDA

View Full Version : 7th minute on Thursday SJM appreciation

SirDavidsNapper
08-08-2018, 02:24 PM
I know this happens a lot at Easter Road for various reasons but how about a minutes applause or a very loud rendition of Super John McGinn on the 7th minute on Thursday? The lad has been magnificent for us and shown a terriffc attitude in the whole time he's been with us. He's been a massive part of the resurgence of our great club. He's worn the green and white for the last time and i think showing our appreciation for his efforts would be a great touch. He's a club legend and i think i can say for everyone he leaves with our very best wishes. He wore our colours with pride. Just a thought.

AgentDaleCooper
08-08-2018, 02:49 PM
Could the song not be kept, just by changing 'we've got' to 'we saw' or something?

Hibernia&Alba
08-08-2018, 02:51 PM
Scunnered to lose him; it's a huge loss to us, but he's going to a big club and it's a great opportunity for him. Glad he won't be going to Celtic, too - up yeez.

All the very best to the wee man; a superb professional.

sixtwo
08-08-2018, 02:55 PM
I like this idea.

I was going to start another thread on a similar theme until I noticed this.

My suggestion would be for the announcer to dedicate a pre match rendition of SOL for John McGinn as a 'Thank You' for his services!

This is an appropriate way to let him know how much he means to Hibs and also a great way of kick starting a great atmosphere on what will hopefully be another great night of european football!!!

Hibs Class

Jamesie
08-08-2018, 02:58 PM
Probably a contrarian view but I think the fans have made SJM well aware of the regard he was held in through social media and other communications over the past few days.

Now, we look forward and not back in terms of this Hibs team and we focus on the 11 players who start the game against Molde rather than any retrospective appreciation of SJM.

While I appreciated SJM's services as much as any Hibs fan, no one player is bigger than the team and the starting XI tomorrow night are the players who wear the Hibs jersey and who we should be supporting and focusing on.

Gatecrasher
08-08-2018, 03:01 PM
Thursday is one of our biggest games of the season, I would rather we cheered the team on.

1two
08-08-2018, 03:02 PM
Please don’t do this

I’m sure SJM will get a wee song at some point, but let’s not arrange it in the 7th minute. He’s no dead.

hibee_girl
08-08-2018, 03:02 PM
Thursday is one of our biggest games of the season, I would rather we cheered the team on.

:agree:

Maybe they can bring him out at half time if he’s around and we can say goodbye then

WeeRussell
08-08-2018, 03:03 PM
Probably a contrarian view but I think the fans have made SJM well aware of the regard he was held in through social media and other communications over the past few days.

Now, we look forward and not back in terms of this Hibs team and we focus on the 11 players who start the game against Molde rather than any retrospective appreciation of SJM.

While I appreciated SJM's services as much as any Hibs fan, no one player is bigger than the team and the starting XI tomorrow night are the players who wear the Hibs jersey and who we should be supporting and focusing on.

I think a lot of people will be in agreement with you Jamesie. Great player, wish him well and grateful for all he done for our club.

But naebody's deid. We don't ever have minutes marked for players when they leave - unfortunate timing that he doesn't play a 'final' game and get to say his goodbye as he leaves the pitch.. but then he's never been about milking moments etc, just getting his job done and giving everything he's got.

Not rubbishing the idea of doing it by the way (and his song will likely get a couple of renditions anyway) but not too keen on an organised tribute, as think these already happen very frequently now and should be kept as marks of respect for deaths etc.

We move on as a club and keep going forward.

seanoheimhin
08-08-2018, 03:04 PM
Please don’t do this

I’m sure SJM will get a wee song at some point, but let’s not arrange it in the 7th minute. He’s no dead.

Agreed.

Hate to be a killjoy here, but the last thing our players need is a reminder less than ten mins into a massive game of how we’ve lost our best player...

Let’s cheer on the team, we’ll get our chance to thank SJM at another point.

Beefster
08-08-2018, 03:04 PM

My view articulated far better than I’m capable of.

danhibees1875
08-08-2018, 03:06 PM

Craig_HFC
08-08-2018, 03:08 PM
Nah.

bod
08-08-2018, 03:11 PM
Could the song not be kept, just by changing 'we've got' to 'we saw' or something?

"we've got Mallan super Steve Mallan "

Buc
08-08-2018, 03:15 PM
Not for me. Support the team, not a player who’s left. If he was to come on to the pitch at half time, great, but not during a very important game.

horseflesh
08-08-2018, 03:17 PM
“The king is dead, long live the king!”

pacoluna
08-08-2018, 03:18 PM
No,we thank him for his services not that he needs reminded of the success that he has helped us achieve, wish him well and move on as we always do.

GreenCastle
08-08-2018, 03:20 PM
Final airing of SJM song

Then followed by we’ve got Mallan

Neil Lennons man

SirDavidsNapper
08-08-2018, 03:21 PM
I get what a lot of you are saying and i agree with a lot of it, it's about the team etc and we should look forward not back but I'd make an exception for John.

Onion
08-08-2018, 03:30 PM
SOL should ALWAYS be kept for spontaneous events and never pre-planned. We've all seen the rotten half-hearted efforts when the Announcer has got the mood of the stadium wrong. All that does is devalue a great anthem.

Need to focus fully on supporting the guys in green, they will need all the help they can get on the pitch, without SJM, against vg opponents.

Albanian Hibs
08-08-2018, 03:30 PM
Is he away yet?

hibIBZ
08-08-2018, 03:31 PM
Let’s not do this please. I’m sure John knows we will always hold him in high regard and cup winning legend, but let’s move forward with the players that are still here

Hibernia&Alba
08-08-2018, 03:36 PM
Is he away yet?

Not officially, but he won't be included tomorrow, regardless. SJM has kicked his last ball for Hibs, sadly.

Hibbyradge
08-08-2018, 03:38 PM
He might be playing for us.

Hibby soldier
08-08-2018, 03:38 PM
Get a life ffs.

theonlywayisup
08-08-2018, 03:49 PM
Not another John McGinn thread. Why not add to one of the existing threads?

Lemonade
08-08-2018, 03:52 PM

Agree with this .

He'd understand :-)

Lemonade
08-08-2018, 03:53 PM
Not another John McGinn thread. Why not add to one of the existing threads?

You can't have too many threads about living legends.

Unseen work
08-08-2018, 03:53 PM
He’s nae died

leggeto
08-08-2018, 03:55 PM
Final airing of SJM song

Then followed by we’ve got Mallan

Neil Lennons man

We've had mcginn super John mcginn

Chic Murray
08-08-2018, 03:58 PM

We move on.:agree:

TheGreenMan
08-08-2018, 03:58 PM
Hibs have been as good for McGinn as McGinn has been good for us. Don't forget that. He's choosing to leave and if he leaves for another club in another country, then good luck to him. If he goes to Celtic then I couldn't care less about him, Hibs will be playing a huge game we could end up setting up a tie against the highest profile European team to come to easter road in year's without McGinn, we appreciate what he's done. He knows it already. Time to move on!

basehibby
08-08-2018, 04:01 PM
No effin way - utterly hat stand idea.

It's a massive game for us and the team needs our 100% support for the full 90mins. No mins applause for ANYBODY - don't care if the pope, the queen and the proclaimers themselves have all died in a bizzare jetskiing tragedy - focus on the game alone and supporting the Hibs players on the park!

Scooter
08-08-2018, 04:10 PM
We had McGinn super John McGinn, I don't think we even understood. He was Alan Stubbs man he's better than Zidane, we had Super John Mcginn

Centre Hawf
08-08-2018, 04:15 PM
Wouldn’t fancy an applause but I wouldn’t be against a final rendition of the song changed to maybe “We love” instead. Then once it’s done it’s finished and we move on to the lads still here.

Titch
08-08-2018, 04:25 PM
We love mcginn
Super John McGinn
I just don’t think you understand
He’s a hibees man
He’s better than zidane
We love super John McGinn

Coat is firmly oan :taxi

SChibs
08-08-2018, 04:41 PM
Bring him out for a wee thank you at half time but apart from that get behind the team on the park

08-08-2018, 04:50 PM
I'd be up for this. A song that has a lot of fantastic memories behind it (I'm sure it was the song we were singing when the players walked out the tunnel at hampden on 21.05.2016 IIRC) and one last fitting tribute to a true hibs legend.

supermcginn
08-08-2018, 04:53 PM
He's not dead 😂😂

Alfiembra
08-08-2018, 06:16 PM
We had McGinn
Super John McGinn
I just don’t think you understand
He was a Hibees man
He’s now a Villa fan
We had Super John McGinn.

Scouse Hibee
08-08-2018, 07:31 PM
Not for me, loved him while he was here but now he's gone and we can concentrate our worshiping on another worthy Hibs player. Fantastic servant to the club during his time but like others before him he has moved on and will be followed by others who will excel at Hibs and also earn a move to a bigger stage.

Since90+2
08-08-2018, 07:34 PM
Not for me. Our main focus and support now is on our current team and giving them the backing they deserve tomorrow.

Although the players would probably understand why we were cheering for SJM I don't think it would have a particularly positive impact on their mindset during the game.

Keith_M
08-08-2018, 07:35 PM
A bit pointless now that he's gone.

I think McGinn is a fantastic player but, TBH, I'm actually starting to find the 'tribute' threads a bit cringeworthy now.

Up The Bracket
08-08-2018, 07:58 PM
He’s no died for f*** sake

guthrie01
08-08-2018, 08:03 PM
R.I.P John McGinn 2015-2018

Gone but not forgotten ! 😢👏💫

08-08-2018, 08:09 PM
He's not dead 😂😂

Why does someone have to be dead for you to show appreciation to them?

Keith_M
08-08-2018, 08:42 PM
Why does someone have to be dead for you to show appreciation to them?

You don't find this a bit cringey, no?

Come on, tributes are for people losing their lives, having terrible diseases or completing a whole career at the same club. The guy has been good for Hibs but he's been here for three years and now going on to (hopefully) the next level in his career.

givescotlandfreedom
08-08-2018, 08:46 PM
He's away now. I'm grateful for his time here and he'll always be a Hibs legend but better to back the boys that are still here IMO.

Bob Box Fish
08-08-2018, 08:50 PM
He will always have a place in everyone’s heart but time to move onwards and upwards .

Sir David Gray
08-08-2018, 08:56 PM
No McGinn songs tomorrow night please.

I loved seeing him play for us and I wish him all the best but tomorrow night is a massive match for the club, potentially our biggest match of the season and we need to be behind the players who are still playing for us.

McGinn has moved on, so should we and I don't mean that to be disrespectful in any way towards him.

Bob1875
08-08-2018, 09:08 PM
Please no, let’s all move on. Tweet him if you want to pay tribute.

Shrekko
08-08-2018, 09:12 PM
Be nothing wrong with having his name sung tomorrow!! Fans are right behind the club and everyone knows it... and we’ll be right behind the team tomorrow.

Obviously we need to move on without him but you don’t now just forget his contribution or popularity!

A talisman in a golden period for the club.

DH1875
08-08-2018, 09:23 PM
And its a big no from me as well.

wookie70
08-08-2018, 09:29 PM
Not for me. Let's cheer on the players who are still hear and fighting to get through another round.

Cabbage East
08-08-2018, 09:31 PM
School holidays in full swing judging by these songs...

Gibby the Hibby
08-08-2018, 09:34 PM
I think a lot of people will be in agreement with you Jamesie. Great player, wish him well and grateful for all he done for our club.

But naebody's deid. We don't ever have minutes marked for players when they leave - unfortunate timing that he doesn't play a 'final' game and get to say his goodbye as he leaves the pitch.. but then he's never been about milking moments etc, just getting his job done and giving everything he's got.

Not rubbishing the idea of doing it by the way (and his song will likely get a couple of renditions anyway) but not too keen on an organised tribute, as think these already happen very frequently now and should be kept as marks of respect for deaths etc.

We move on as a club and keep going forward.

ye I have to say I agree with this, the guy is a legend, and is in the hall of fame for however long hibs are a club, then mcginns name will be spoken, he drove us on to the dream, which so many of us have been to dozens of hampden moments of pain, we all doubted it would happen while we lived,
he was the heartbeat of the team that won the scottish cup,

In this day and age appreciation can be shown so many ways, If he is sitting in the Stands by all means Id love to sing or applaud him, but if he is not there....which he wont be, as he has a job in birmingham,THEN LETS AGREE TO ALL RAISE THE ROOF OFF IN THE 7TH MINUTE, SINGING ABOUT THE TEAM IN PLAY , that Id agree to, :agree::flag: OR THE 1ST MINUTE...AS WE SHUD!

Having said all that the idea of giving him an applause when he is not there, is out of complete respect , and understand why you would want to, I just am not sure it is the rite occasion

NAE NOOKIE
08-08-2018, 09:36 PM
I appreciate the thought behind this, but not for me ….. Tomorrow is all about the squad of players who will be representing Hibs on the park in a tough European tie … every thought should be about them now and every cheer and song focused on them.

As for the SJM appreciation threads …. he deserves every damned one ….. legend.

guthrie01
08-08-2018, 09:39 PM
Mind when some folk wanted us to sing a tribute to Big Dom the game after he left us 😂

McrHibee
08-08-2018, 09:41 PM
No need to be laying flowers outside the Famous Five Stand.. great player... move on and just get fully behind the players that are on the pitch... though I don't think it would be too bad to knock out the odd tune whenever Celtic are in town, along the lines of

We had McGinn
Super John McGinn
And the Weegies didn't understand
He's better than Zidane
Brenda had no plan
He's worth more than2million **** pound

jacomo
08-08-2018, 09:44 PM
And its a big no from me as well.

When it comes to match day, especially, it’s time to move on.

The guys who are currently representing us need the support.

One Day Soon
08-08-2018, 09:46 PM
Absolutely not.

He's been great, he's gone, let's move on.

Torto7062
08-08-2018, 10:00 PM
Totally agree....
Thanks John for all you did but the club moves on.
11 starters and subs are who we should be cheering

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BegbieHSC
08-08-2018, 10:20 PM
Honestly contemplating since we’re not playing till Sunday, going to the Villa game against Wigan on Saturday, just to give SJM one last cheer (out with international games) 😂😂