PDA

View Full Version : Players who played for Hibs and Villa

Col L
08-08-2018, 01:59 PM
Like every Hibs supporter I'll be gutted to see SJM go, but if he's to leave (and it seems to be hours away from happening) I'd personally prefer to see him going to Villa rather than Celtic. Good luck and thanks for some brilliant memories John, you've been a joy to watch.

With Villa the probable destination, it got me racking my brains for players who have played in the past for Hibs and Aston Villa.

Off the top of my head I've come up with Alex Cropley, Des Bremner, John Burridge, Ulises de La Cruz, Willie Hamilton, Johnny MacLeod and right back at the start (if you know your his-tor-ee) Willie Groves!

C'mon you Hibbie anoraks, any more for the list? :flag:

JIm
08-08-2018, 02:01 PM
Slightly off topic but similar vain....anyone know what ever happened to Ed to the Holt end Hibs guys? Used to regularly see that flag in my younger days but haven't seen it for years.

Another hibs/Villa link tho.

HoboHarry
08-08-2018, 02:01 PM
Didn't that huddie Joe(?) Ward come to us from Villa?

MWHIBBIES
08-08-2018, 02:02 PM
Grant Holt

Col L
08-08-2018, 02:03 PM
My favourite memory of Villa (again off topic) is smashing them in Alan Sneddon's testimonial in 1991. Kenny Dalglish immense in a Hibs shirt, and Keith Keith Keith deadly in front of goals scoring 4. A memorable month in our history as we also won the Skol Cup.

southsider
08-08-2018, 02:03 PM
Did we not get the goal scoring machine that was Joe Ward from Villa ?

Smartie
08-08-2018, 02:04 PM
Like every Hibs supporter I'll be gutted to see SJM go, but if he's to leave (and it seems to be hours away from happening) I'd personally prefer to see him going to Villa rather than Celtic. Good luck and thanks for some brilliant memories John, you've been a joy to watch.

With Villa the probable destination, it got me racking my brains for players who have played in the past for Hibs and Aston Villa.

Off the top of my head I've come up with Alex Cropley, Des Bremner, John Burridge, Ulises de La Cruz, Willie Hamilton, Johnny MacLeod and right back at the start (if you know your his-tor-ee) Willie Groves!

C'mon you Hibbie anoraks, any more for the list? :flag:

He hasn't played for us, but Garry Parker is a link between the 2 clubs.

Cracking player for Villa and a quality assistant manager for us.

Col L
08-08-2018, 02:05 PM

We did! Nae goals at Villa. Nae goals at Hibs! The type of guy Colin Calderwood might have signed...

Col L
08-08-2018, 02:06 PM
Grant Holt

So he did :thumbsup: the big man had a few clubs right enough.

G B Young
08-08-2018, 02:20 PM

Yes, think he came to us as part of the Des Bremner transfer. Des went on to win the English Championship and the European Cup with Villa. Not sure what became of Joe...

Waxy
08-08-2018, 02:20 PM
Des Bremner rings a bell from when i was a lad?

aiden15088
08-08-2018, 02:24 PM
De la Cruz was a player.

Hibernia&Alba
08-08-2018, 02:53 PM
De la Cruz was a player.

Was just going to say the same. Wish we'd kept him longer.

Smartie
08-08-2018, 02:57 PM
I thought De la Cruz was distinctly average for us - his signing served a purpose ie we got him for a small fee then flogged him for a big one after the World Cup.

Fast, a decent threat going forward but ropey defensively. He was the first of the "modern fullbacks" that I remember us having - all about bombing forward, not so much about defending.

I always liked a Willie Miller full back - hard as nails, give little away at the back and any flash stuff going forward was a bonus (Stockholm syndrome from growing up in the Alex Miller era I think it must be).

De la Cruz was not a patch on our current right wing-back(s).

Hiber-nation
08-08-2018, 02:57 PM
We signed Isaiah Osbourne from Villa (for some reason).

Kato
08-08-2018, 03:11 PM
I thought De la Cruz was distinctly average for us - his signing served a purpose ie we got him for a small fee then flogged him for a big one after the World Cup.

Fast, a decent threat going forward but ropey defensively. He was the first of the "modern fullbacks" that I remember us having - all about bombing forward, not so much about defending.

I always liked a Willie Miller full back - hard as nails, give little away at the back and any flash stuff going forward was a bonus (Stockholm syndrome from growing up in the Alex Miller era I think it must be).

Average enough to set up both goals in the 90mins to draw us level with AEK and provide the cross for Luna's last minute chance.

Barman Stanton
08-08-2018, 03:14 PM

Dont think De La Cruz was a small fee, not in Hibs terms anyway. Was around 700k which is still the most we have paid.

But agree, he wouldnt have got near this current team.

heretoday
08-08-2018, 03:17 PM
The unfortunate Joe Ward who played a handful of games in the late seventies and left for Dundee United. He came in for some treatment from the wags in the enclosure.

Hibernia&Alba
08-08-2018, 03:18 PM
Dont think De La Cruz was a small fee, not in Hibs terms anyway. Was around 700k which is still the most we have paid.

Agree to differ there, mate. I thought De La Cruz was a smashing player.

WoreTheGreen
08-08-2018, 03:31 PM
Ian Hendry broke his leg first game of the season.Iam pretty sure he came from Villa

heretoday
08-08-2018, 03:31 PM
Didn't that huddie Joe(?) Ward come to us from Villa?

You're right.

I'd also mention Davie Gibson, a bit of an unsung star at the turn of the sixties, Tommy Craig in the late seventies and Didier Agathe in season 06/07. All played for Villa at some point.

Golden Bear
08-08-2018, 03:40 PM
Ian Hendry broke his leg first game of the season.Iam pretty sure he came from Villa

Was that not the young lad who broke his leg against Berwick Rangers - maybe on his debut? Or was that another Ian Hendry?

tamig
08-08-2018, 03:43 PM
Agree to differ there, mate. I thought De La Cruz was a smashing player.

He was fantastic going forward. Couldn’t defend at all though.

Hibernia&Alba
08-08-2018, 03:45 PM
Didier Agathe was a cracking wee player too, but he only played a handful of times for both us and Villa.

weecounty hibby
08-08-2018, 03:48 PM
As I've said in another thread. Des was one of my early Hibs heroes. Went on to win English 1st Division and European cup with Villa. Considered an absolute legend at Villa according to a guy I know who has a ST at Villa Park

rodhibs55
08-08-2018, 03:50 PM
Des Bremner rings a bell from when i was a lad?

I am sure Des one the European cup with Villa

Hutchie
08-08-2018, 03:59 PM
Average enough to set up both goals in the 90mins to draw us level with AEK and provide the cross for Luna's last minute chance.

Don’t follow this logic. Tony Watt scored against Barcelona, I’m sure some other hearts players scored against Tottenham and Liverpool. Doesn’t necessarily mean they are good players.

De la Cruz was simply business. Some decent performances. One good World Cup game v Italy and graham Taylor was commentating - hence the move.

I think David Gray is better in that position. And Whittaker in his first time.
De la Cruz wasn’t bad by any means, but naturally people tend to criticise in the moment and look back fondly.
Last year how many people were saying Dylan was better than John. Everyone knows who the better of he two really are. However we can rightly look back fondly for both now.

SRHibs
08-08-2018, 04:02 PM
De La Cruz was class. Best Ecuadorian Hibs player of all time, closely followed by the man, the myth, the legend, The Tank.

HoboHarry
08-08-2018, 04:03 PM
I am sure Des one the European cup with Villa
He did. Nae bad for a Banff loon......

davemcbain
08-08-2018, 04:04 PM
David Platt - almost.

BILLYHIBS
08-08-2018, 04:06 PM
Jimmy Brown 1981

Only been to Villa Park the once Euro 1996 Scotland 0 v 0 Holland

:thumbsup:

Bostonhibby
08-08-2018, 04:11 PM
I am sure Des one the European cup with VillaHe did, and the English league title and the then European Super cup I Think.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

gbhibby
08-08-2018, 04:12 PM
ally mcleod 1970s vintage

weecounty hibby
08-08-2018, 04:26 PM
I was at Villa Park for the friendly in about 87/88 ISH. Great weekend away with some mates. Slept the first night in a transit van somewhere and the next night in a hotel just round from Edgebaston cricket ground. Was also there for Euro 96. Great ground. John will be happy there

BILLYHIBS
08-08-2018, 04:28 PM
Lewis Campbell 1892

Billy Whizz
It’s an easy ground to get too. Sits just off the M6

brog

I thought De La Cruz was one of the finest players I've seen at ER. Given he earned 101 international caps & is a national hero in Ecuador it appears I'm not alone. His performance against AEK was outstanding & his 2 goals against Yams weren't bad either. The 'small fee' we paid for him remains our record outlay. DLC would run riot as a proper wing back in our current set up.

Kato
08-08-2018, 04:34 PM
Don’t follow this logic. Tony Watt scored against Barcelona, I’m sure some other hearts players scored against Tottenham and Liverpool. Doesn’t necessarily mean they are good players.

De la Cruz was simply business. Some decent performances. One good World Cup game v Italy and graham Taylor was commentating - hence the move.

I think David Gray is better in that position. And Whittaker in his first time.
De la Cruz wasn’t bad by any means, but naturally people tend to criticise in the moment and look back fondly.
Last year how many people were saying Dylan was better than John. Everyone knows who the better of he two really are. However we can rightly look back fondly for both now.

All I'm saying he was a bit above "distinctly average".

WoreTheGreen
08-08-2018, 04:38 PM
Was that not the young lad who broke his leg against Berwick Rangers - maybe on his debut? Or was that another Ian Hendry?

Yes same one

BILLYHIBS
08-08-2018, 04:40 PM

Only played down south for Southampton and Huddersfield (loan) :thumbsup:

ancient hibee
08-08-2018, 04:55 PM
Neither of our Ally Mcleods played for Villa.

southsider
08-08-2018, 04:58 PM
Only played down south for Southampton and Huddersfield (loan) :thumbsup:

But he did score 4 goals against the Huns for St. M.

AltheHibby
08-08-2018, 05:07 PM
It’s an easy ground to get too. Sits just off the M6

Take it from someone who used to work around the corner from Villa Park. NO, IT ISN'T.

Sorry, memories of the 2mph rush hour commute.

It is a lovely looking ground.

BILLYHIBS
08-08-2018, 05:13 PM
But he did score 4 goals against the Huns for St. M.

Ally Macleod was one of my heroes he was deceptive he was quicker than he looked with bags of skill.
I remember one game against Dundee he scored direct from a free kick the ref told him to retake the free kick for some reason he repeated the trick putting the ball in the opposite corner.

Smartie
08-08-2018, 06:29 PM

He had his moments, that's for sure. The assists vs AEK, the goals vs Hearts and I seem to remember him having a bonkers game against Aberdeen where he was excellent going forward but ropey at the back. I thought the good and the bad cancelled each other out as a bit average - certainly average for the high profile of the signing, the fee he was sold for and the generally excellent career he had elsewhere.

It wasn't small, certainly not for us, but it was small compared to what he was eventually sold for - which was the whole idea behind the transfer.

I thought De La Cruz was one of the finest players I've seen at ER. Given he earned 101 international caps & is a national hero in Ecuador it appears I'm not alone. His performance against AEK was outstanding & his 2 goals against Yams weren't bad either. The 'small fee' we paid for him remains our record outlay. DLC would run riot as a proper wing back in our current set up.

DLC would run riot going forward, but the idea of him and Efe defending our right hand side gives me the fear. Honestly, I prefer David Gray's all round game and defensive qualities and I prefer Martin Boyle as an attacking outlet.

He certainly had good games, major contributions and highlights and he had a wonderful career, but I remember that a lot of his time with us he was a bit "meh", certainly compared to our general expectations of him which were possibly a bit too high.

WoreTheGreen
08-08-2018, 06:33 PM

Ally Macleod was one of my heroes he was deceptive he was quicker than he looked with bags of skill.
I remember one game against Dundee he scored direct from a free kick the ref told him to retake the free kick for some reason he repeated the trick putting the ball in the opposite corner.

Billy his pace was deceptive he was slower than he looked. Unlike his wit which was razor sharp

weststandhibby
08-08-2018, 06:57 PM
Billy his pace was deceptive he was slower than he looked. Unlike his wit which was razor sharp
Ally has the same wit these days especially on the golf course :rolleyes:

CropleyWasGod
08-08-2018, 07:21 PM
On a non-playing note, Bruce Langham used to be CEO at Villa.

Maybe that had something to do with the deal?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
08-08-2018, 07:24 PM
Agree 100% was trying to be kind to the guy:wink:

OK he was slower than a week in Saughton but still had the class and the football brain.:thumbsup:

GRA
08-08-2018, 07:34 PM
De La Cruz was class. Best Ecuadorian Hibs player of all time, closely followed by the man, the myth, the legend, The Tank.Loved watching De La Cruz play. Sure he was dodgy defensively but had some engine to get up and down that wing and regularly produced excellent crosses. The Tank on the other hand.... [emoji85]

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Tomsk
08-08-2018, 07:37 PM
David Platt - almost.

Yup. Dodged a bullet there. Lucky for us Alex Miller knew the value of a player.

WoreTheGreen
08-08-2018, 08:28 PM
Agree 100% was trying to be kind to the guy:wink:

OK he was slower than a week in Saughton but still had the class and the football brain.:thumbsup:

Embassy Regal might have a part to play

CentreLine
08-08-2018, 08:33 PM
Billy Brown has been places :dunno:

cmcd
08-08-2018, 08:42 PM

John Brownlie done very well Bombing forward as did Bobby Duncan

Hutchie
09-08-2018, 05:18 AM
All I'm saying he was a bit above "distinctly average".

Fair enough , maybe I missed that point. I agree he was above distinctly average.

He’s not like latapy, he doesn’t drink booze, it’s ulises De la Cruz!

Had an above average song also! Can’t mind the first bit.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-08-2018, 07:04 AM
Bruce Langham (who was also as Fulham with Al-Fayed) was on the board (can’t remember if it was charlirman) or Aston Villa.

Billy Whizz
09-08-2018, 07:05 AM
Bruce Langham (who was also as Fulham with Al-Fayed) was on the board (can’t remember if it was charlirman) or Aston Villa.

He sure was, good spot

The Pointer
09-08-2018, 07:20 AM
A connection I'd rather not remember is Colin Calderwood whom the interviewer mentions in SJM'S first interview as being at his new club.