PDA

View Full Version : Thanks, John McGinn

Diclonius
08-08-2018, 10:47 AM
Seeing as his departure is now imminent, I think we'd all like to say a few words of thanks to arguably one of the greatest Hibs players of all time.

The most techinically gifted player in the team that won the Scottish Cup, Championship and had one of our best seasons in years. Part of 9 in a row. Won every single home game he played against Hearts. Scored against both halves of the Old Firm, as well as other key games - St Johnstone semi, Raith playoff, Dundee Utd title six-pointer, Asteras away. Commanding presence in midfield for three years. Can't really be replaced.

Thanks, Super John McGinn. :agree:

https://i.imgur.com/K5nIhmt.jpg

JeMeSouviens
08-08-2018, 10:50 AM
Seeing as his departure is now imminent, I think we'd all like to say a few words of thanks to arguably one of the greatest Hibs players of all time.

The most techinically gifted player in the team that won the Scottish Cup, Championship and had one of our best seasons in years. Part of 9 in a row. Won every single home game he played against Hearts. Scored against both halves of the Old Firm, as well as other key games - St Johnstone semi, Raith playoff, Dundee Utd title six-pointer, Asteras away. Commanding presence in midfield for 4 years. Can't really be replaced.

3 years, but other than that. :top marks

Even in departure, he has been a class act. :not worth

:boo hoo:

Sweet Left Peg
08-08-2018, 10:51 AM
People will talk about what he did for us on and off the pitch for years to come. A true ambassador for our club and part of what may well become one of the most important periods in our history.

Thankyou, Super John McGinn. All the best.

theonlywayisup
08-08-2018, 10:52 AM

The most techinically gifted player in the team that won the Scottish Cup, Championship and had one of our best seasons in years. Part of 9 in a row. Won every single home game he played against Hearts. Scored against both halves of the Old Firm, as well as other key games - St Johnstone semi, Raith playoff, Dundee Utd title six-pointer, Asteras away. Commanding presence in midfield for 4 years. Can't really be replaced.

Do we need another John McGinn thread?

He's not away yet :wink:

bingo70
08-08-2018, 10:53 AM
Don't, you'll set me off.....

yerauldda
08-08-2018, 10:54 AM
Genuinely feel absolutely gutted. My favourite Hibs player ever. An absolute joy to watch and I don't believe we'd be near where we are today without him. Aside from all the obvious games he bossed, my favourite would be the 2-1 v Rangers at Easter Road. It was the first time I remember watching him where he really picked the full team up and got us over the line. He was everywhere that day. One of many incredible performances. The ultimate professional.

Thanks for 21/05/16 and all the derby wins. Can't wait to see where his career goes and hopefully see him at a major tournament with Scotland. Super John McGinn.

Bishop Hibee
08-08-2018, 10:55 AM
Top player, top man, Hibs legend. Look forward to seeing him in a Scotland strip for years to come.

Captain Trips
08-08-2018, 10:56 AM
One of the all time greats. Good luck son and do not be a stranger at Easter Road.

cabbageandribs1875
08-08-2018, 10:56 AM
a very special football player, countless good memories

missing him already:boo hoo:

and a cracking song as well :(

Golden Bear
08-08-2018, 10:58 AM
I've been watching Hibs since the 1960's and John Mcginn is undoubtedly up there with the best of the very best. The guy has it all - model professional, ability to stay relatively injury free, gives 100% every game and maintains a consistently high performance level throughout.

I still have hopes that he might, just might, stay with us for another season but that's looking increasingly unlikely.

Thanks John, it's been a pleasure watching you and I wish you all the best for the future.

green with envy
08-08-2018, 10:58 AM
Will be more than happy to contribute but not until it's official.

MWHIBBIES
08-08-2018, 10:59 AM
Don't think he was ever the most technically gifted player in any Hibs team he played in.

Apart from that you're spot on. Absolute legend who was brilliant and gave everything from first kick until last.

TrinityHibs
08-08-2018, 11:00 AM
Consistently the best player at Hibs for the last 3 years. Amongst many highlights one of my favourites was the reception he got at ER when he came back from injury and then scored. Genuinely gutted that he is going but I wish him well and will follow his career with interest as he is going to be a top top player.

yerauldda
08-08-2018, 11:02 AM
I've been watching Hibs since the 1960's and John Mcginn is undoubtedly up there with the best of the very best. The guy has it all - model professional, ability to stay relatively injury free, gives 100% every game and maintains a consistently high performance level throughout.

I still have hopes that he might, just might, stay with us for another season but that's looking increasingly unlikely.

Thanks John, it's been a pleasure watching you and I wish you all the best for the future.

His fitness was ridiculous. The one long term injury he had was in the championship winning season, came back v dundee united after about 3 months then scored a ridiculous goal.

Craig_HFC
08-08-2018, 11:03 AM
The most gutted I'll ever be when a Hibs player leaves (other than Lewis Stevenson) will be when John McGinn leaves.

He is Super in every sense of the word and he's got every chance of making it right to the top of the game. He makes 60 yard cross-field passes look absolutely effortless & his ability to drive the team forward with his seemingly never ending energy is absolutely invaulable.

He was an absolutely massive part of the re-birth of our Club and for that I will forever be grateful to him.

I think everyone else is starting to understand.

Thanks for your efforts & for the memories, SJM.

The Harp
08-08-2018, 11:04 AM
It's been a joy to watch John progress at Easter Road. One of the most talented players I've seen in 60+ years following Hibs. Just wish we could've kept a hold of him.
All the best with the rest of your career, John. Haste ye back.

swindonhibs
08-08-2018, 11:06 AM
While players come and go and the club we love remains the only true constant, all too rarely a player leaves that has an emotional effect on us, for me, John Mcginn is one of those players.
His time here has coincided with our rebirth as a club and there is no questioning the leading role he played in that happening.In fact, I think there’s a good argument to say that without John McGinn the successes that have followed would not have happened, and that is how important he was.
So if he leaves us in the coming days, my obvious and instant feelings of sadness and regret will soon be replaced with gratitude and joy for the man for moving on in his career and for the integral part he played in the rebirth of my beloved club.
All the best John, a legend of my club.

John I love you

Shrekko
Definitely one of the all time greats. In my 40 years supporting the team he’s in my top 3/4 players on ability but in terms of character and achievement only Lewis Stevenson can match him.

The way he’s conducted himself these past few months is nothing short of amazing.

Chic Murray
08-08-2018, 11:07 AM
Bulgarian balcony time.

FilipinoHibs
08-08-2018, 11:15 AM
Definitely one of the all time greats. In my 40 years supporting the team he’s in my top 3/4 players on ability but in terms of character and achievement only Lewis Stevenson can match him.

The way he’s conducted himself these past few months is nothing short of amazing.

Followed for 50 years and he would find it hard to get into top 10. About 5 of the Tornadoes, Mickey Weir, Riordan, Latapty. Sauzee, Rough, Leighton and Gorham. Short contributions from Archibald and Best.

My old man
08-08-2018, 11:17 AM
Been a Hibee for 40+ years and have seen greats
Deeks,Broonie,the kaiser, super Leigh,n all but trust me
when I say SJM is a class act on and off the park.
How he’s conducted himself through this whole transfer
situation has been nothing but impeccable.
The true reflection of the man
A pure class act
I hope and pray that SJM gets a massive move one day
And I hope he plays at the highest level and earns a very very good living
From the game he loves

As for my feelings towards SJM I love the man
True legend of a man
Good luck John and and thanks again for that day now
go show them how to do it the SJM way
Watch them wonder what the fuss about Grealish was all about( if he actually leaves) once you settle in (I remember the dalgleish/keegan scenario)

GGTTH
We loved/ had / made Mcginn
Super John Mcginn
I just don’t think you understand
!!!!!!!!

Golden Bear
08-08-2018, 11:20 AM
Followed for 50 years and he would find it hard to get into top 10. About 5 of the Tornadoes, Mickey Weir, Riordan, Latapty. Sauzee, Rough, Leighton and Gorham. Short contributions from Archibald and Best.

Wow! I guess its all about opinions but maybe for another thread and not this one.

SaulGoodman
08-08-2018, 11:24 AM

Ffs

Crutch
08-08-2018, 11:27 AM
I've never watched a player at Hibs that's made me say 'wow' more than McGinn has. He made a shoulder barge look and feel like a 40-yard screamer.

Not surprised that he's so well liked and admired within the game. He's embodied everything that's changed and improved at this club over the last 3/4 years and will rightfully leave us as a club legend and one of my favourite ever players.

Will be sorely, sorely missed.

Tollhouse Hibee
08-08-2018, 11:32 AM
Thank you John for being a model pro, and being a massive part of pulling this club out of some seriously mismanaged mess.

I hope you go on to have a career at the very top level, and we get a good chunk of any future transfer!

The door will always be open

GGTTH

hfc rd
08-08-2018, 11:34 AM
Really going to miss him. Hibs Legend. Deserves to be placed in the same bracket with likes of Famous 5, Stanton, Sauzee etc.

It’s been a joyful privilege watching SJM. An absolute inspirational figure and one of my all time favourite Hibs players. Wish him all the success in the world in the next chapter of his career.

Never felt this gutted with a Hibs player leaving probably since Sauzee’s departure. Thank you for everything that you have contributed to Hibs Super John McGinn 💚

lord bunberry
08-08-2018, 11:35 AM
Really sad to see him go, but he owes us nothing. He’s going to a cracking club with brilliant fans who will appreciate him just as much as we did. He’s my all time favourite hibs player and a good guy off the pitch as well. He’s done so much for us in such a short space of time and I’m sure he’ll go on to become a legend at the Villa.
All the best johnnyboy.

Smartie
08-08-2018, 11:36 AM
Bizarrely enough, I don't even feel that sad to see him go.

John McGinn has been an exemplary player for us and has earned his move to a bigger stage for his bigger wage.

The time feels right for him to move on - he's achieved an incredible amount with us in a short period of time and I honestly think we'd be holding him back by keeping him with us for much longer, and the feel good factor about him may diminish from here.

Villa would be a great move - a proper big club with a great history and a possible passport to playing in the Premier League, and it will be good to follow his career with interest from here.

*Unless he decides to join Celtic of course - in which case he can GTF.

cleanyman
08-08-2018, 11:36 AM
A true Hibernian great.

J-C
08-08-2018, 11:39 AM
When a player has bought into the club and been a key contributor to getting us back near the top and also being a cup legend, he can leave to further his career with my blessing. I met him on numerous occasions and he was always a very humble lad who only wanted what was best for him, Hibs, St Mirren and the supporters, I look forward to watching his career and hopefully he goes straight to the very top, he has the talent and professionalism to do so.

Soldiersteve
08-08-2018, 11:39 AM
John McGinn = Class act. That is all.
:flag:

FilipinoHibs
08-08-2018, 11:41 AM
Ffs

You must have been about 4 during the Latapt/Sauzee era. So maybe you can remember Riordan's second spell. So for you and your short experience of Hibs he is in your top ten. Oh I forgot Colin Stein and John Collins. I did not include the front three of TTs.

calumhibee1
08-08-2018, 11:41 AM
The best player I can properly remember playing for Hibs as I can only vaguely remember Sauzee and Latapy. On top of that, he’s probably got the best attitude of any player I’ve ever seen (along with a few of the other obvious players at Hibs just now to be fair to them). When you match the two together you’re looking at a player you’ll only get a couple of times in a generation.

I fully expect that after this season at AV (presuming he goes there) he’ll be looking at a Ł30m or so move.

CraigHibee
08-08-2018, 11:46 AM
John has been a fantastic player for us, was looking at clips from the cup final 2 years ago and although he was challenged he then managed to play the ball to cummings who in turn played it to stokesy for ther 1st goal and the rest we say is history.

thoroughly deserves his big move

good luck john

MyJo
08-08-2018, 11:50 AM
No, not yet......it's too raw.

Waxy
08-08-2018, 11:55 AM
One last sing along of “we’ve got Mcginn” on the 7th minute against Molde surely?

Heckys Wheel
08-08-2018, 11:56 AM
You must have been about 4 during the Latapt/Sauzee era. So maybe you can remember Riordan's second spell. So for you and your short experience of Hibs he is in your top ten. Oh I forgot Colin Stein and John Collins. I did not include the front three of TTs.

Think it’s more the fact that you’ve chosen a positive thread thanking SJM to list a host of players you preferred to him.

If you’ve nothing good to say....

Lancs Harp
08-08-2018, 11:59 AM
SSN just reporting that Jack Grealish is going nowhere!! Could be further twists in this, probably just a ploy to get Spurs to cough up more cash but I cant see SJM moving to Villa if Grealish stays put.

Dancehibs
08-08-2018, 12:00 PM
Don't think he was ever the most technically gifted player in any Hibs team he played in.

Apart from that you're spot on. Absolute legend who was brilliant and gave everything from first kick until last.

agree with that. Technique Is not one off Johns greatest qualities. Replacing John will be very tough.

jingler1954
08-08-2018, 12:05 PM
Been a Hibee for 40+ years and have seen greats
Deeks,Broonie,the kaiser, super Leigh,n all but trust me
when I say SJM is a class act on and off the park.
How he’s conducted himself through this whole transfer
situation has been nothing but impeccable.
The true reflection of the man
A pure class act
I hope and pray that SJM gets a massive move one day
And I hope he plays at the highest level and earns a very very good living
From the game he loves

As for my feelings towards SJM I love the man
True legend of a man
Good luck John and and thanks again for that day now
go show them how to do it the SJM way
Watch them wonder what the fuss about Grealish was all about( if he actually leaves) once you settle in (I remember the dalgleish/keegan scenario)

GGTTH
We loved/ had / made Mcginn
Super John Mcginn
I just don’t think you understand
!!!!!!!!
My thoughts exactly can we still sing the song in the past tense GGTTH

Barman Stanton
08-08-2018, 12:17 PM

All about opinions, but in the 40 years or so I have followed Hibs he would be in my top 3 easily. Too young for the Tornado's but I would have McGinn in my team ahead of all those others with the exception of Sauzee. As good as Micky Weir was for us at the time, I doubt he would even get in the current team.

patlowe
08-08-2018, 12:18 PM
I'm wary of turning such a positive thread into a debate, and it may be unintended, but there's some serious short-selling of SJM by some on this thread...just wow. You don't know what you've got till it's gone!

Best signing in my lifetime, all things considered. A hero to Hibees young and old. All the best :boo hoo:

Cameron1875
08-08-2018, 12:20 PM
His challenge in the cup final started the comeback in my opinion. I think Gordon Strachan picked up on it too.

Hard crunching challenge and then he did the McGinn roll to drive us up the park. The Hibs end erupted and it really got us out of a 8/9 min period where we were feeling down and out.

Legend.

HibbySpurs
08-08-2018, 12:24 PM
If there really is such a thing as "Hibs Class" and it made it into an urban dictionary the definition would be:

Hibs Class - See, John McGinn

A truly special player for our club who even as the speculation mounted scored the winning goal in a European Tie like the true pro he is.

Is he as good as Sauzee was (best player I have ever seen in a Hibs jersey) no, not yet but he could well be and you never know maybe at a similar age to Sauzee he may find his way home to ER in the closing stages of what I hope is truly stellar career both for whatever clubs he plays for and Scotland.

Good Luck John.

Evergreen86
08-08-2018, 12:29 PM
Great player, great guy!

Calm the 'part of 9 in a row' chat though.... bit cringe.

Diclonius

The fact that he won the Cup and none of them did is a big factor for me and I suspect many others.

Pretty Boy
Class act on and off the park. He's been a joy to watch for the last 3 seasons.

He'll go on to a higher level yet and we'll have been part of the story.

ALF TUPPER
08-08-2018, 12:30 PM
A great talent and got us off our seats a few times.
If he is away I hope we get an opportunity to thank and wave the boy off tomorrow.

patlowe
08-08-2018, 12:30 PM
If there really is such a thing as "Hibs Class" and it made it into an urban dictionary the definition would be:

A truly special player for our club who even as the speculation mounted scored the winning goal in a European Tie like the true pro he is.

Is he as good as Sauzee was (best player I have ever seen in a Hibs jersey) no, not yet but he could well be and you never know maybe at a similar age to Sauzee he may find his way home to ER in the closing stages of what I hope is truly stellar career both for whatever clubs he plays for and Scotland.

Good Luck John.

This says everything, along with his absolutely outstanding performances in all the other games in recent weeks. Compare it to how Jamie Walker stropped/couldn't cope as a result of the speculation at Hearts last year and you get a measure of McGinn's qualities both on and off the park.

hibee_girl
08-08-2018, 12:31 PM
Gutted he’s going but what a joy it’s been watching him play the last 3 years. He’s been outstanding, Scottish cup win, promotion and then qualifying for Europe.

He’s been my Grandad’s favourite player since Sauzee too.

Lancs Harp
08-08-2018, 12:32 PM
One of the many things I greatly admire about John is his attitude, especially recently. He is about to undergo a life changing experience, his exposure significantly increased and with it his personal wealth and standing but his attitude to playing for Hibs during this uncertain time has been exemplary, no bad mouthing in the press, no sulking, no drop in performance (in fact I'd say the total opposite), compare that to "big shots" like Courtois failing to turn up at Chelsea in order to get his move to Madrid and the mistakes Scotty made when he left.

Not only a very fine player, but a fine man as well.

Good luck John and thanks its been a pleasure to watch you wear our jersey.

The Harp Awakes
Devastated to see John go.

A very special footballer and person. He clearly got Hibs and will always be one of us - unless of course he ever signs for the Huns:greengrin

Smartie
Great player, great guy!

Calm the 'part of 9 in a row' chat though.... bit cringe.

Absolutely.

When the hell did this ever become a thing?

He did have a great record both with performances and results against the Jambos, we don't need to go for anything like that.

IncredibleHibee
I’m welling up. Beautiful footballer, beautiful person

Smartie
08-08-2018, 12:34 PM

Good Luck John.

Now the Grealish thing has fallen through, maybe your "wee team" would be interested in him?

The_Horde
08-08-2018, 12:35 PM

Good Luck John.

He has been better than Sauzee for hibs and will leave much more of a legend too.

Joe6-2
08-08-2018, 12:37 PM
Got a tear in my eye, all the best John

we are hibs
08-08-2018, 12:40 PM
Absolutely love him. So talented and driven. A proper role model for the young fans in our support too. Imagine growing up about 6 or 7 years ago and having someone like Matt thornhill in midfield to aspire to compared to living legend Scottish cup winning internationalist John mcginn. His enthusiasm on the park was infectious and so many times he got us over the line in games where it wasn't going our way. The hibs fans adored him and he clearly loves the club and support too. His mentality and mindset the last few months throughout the speculation has been unbelievable. All this chat and he was still putting in MOTM performances. An incredible player and a great guy and I wish him nothing but success wherever he goes, he deserves everything.coming his way

HibbySpurs
08-08-2018, 12:43 PM
Now the Grealish thing has fallen through, maybe your "wee team" would be interested in him?

I could see him signing for Spurs, in due course.... It wouldn't be the same though.......

RossScott1991
08-08-2018, 12:45 PM
My favourite memory of McGinn might actually differ from many.

Tynecastle , in the sleet. His goal. Just the stadium erupting into the super John Mcginn chant, on way out the ground also. Feel that was when the birth of that song properly began. He was great that day vs St Johnstone.

Hibster
08-08-2018, 12:45 PM
We had McGinn :(
Super John McGinn :(

FranckSuzy
08-08-2018, 12:46 PM
All the best John and thanks for the memories :not worth

I was asked to keep this quiet at the time but SJM donated to Leith Links so more children could attend our games, so he'll always be a legend in my eyes :agree:

AugustaHibs
08-08-2018, 12:47 PM

I was asked to keep this quiet at the time but SJM donated to Leith Links so more children could attend our games, so he'll always be a legend in my eyes :agree:

Hero.

Topographic Hibby
08-08-2018, 12:49 PM
Hear, hear....to all of the above.

Can I add, the two goals at Parkhead in 2-2 draw last season (the 2nd one had us winning against the so-called invincibles for a few minutes) and the emotion shown last week after scoring in Greece.

Thanks SJM for everything :flag:

GORDONSMITH7
08-08-2018, 12:49 PM

Loved watching him, however I see you are getting some negative replies. They would not if they were auld enough to have seen Willie Hamilton, Pat Stanton, Alex Edwards, Alex Cropley, John Brownlie, Des Bremner, et al. Best of luck son.

BIG G

Evergreen86
08-08-2018, 12:57 PM
For me in my lifetime watching Hibs I havent seen a better footballer at ER than Sauzee. In terms of honours a Scottish Cup is the difference.

SJM one of the best we have had but lets not forget most folk thought Dylan was better last year. Ironically, some of the best games I have seen him play for Hibs has been the last few weeks - he was outstanding against Motherwell.

Wull
08-08-2018, 12:58 PM
Just on the BBC website, Villa and Hibs agree on sum for wee SJM :agree:

Golden Bear
08-08-2018, 01:01 PM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45117113

But the ba' hasn't quite crossed the line yet!

HIBERNIAN-0762
08-08-2018, 01:01 PM

Fee agreed but personal terms have not

Leithenhibby
08-08-2018, 01:02 PM

THIS :top marks:top marks

"Hearts, Laave it"

AltheHibby
08-08-2018, 01:06 PM
He's everything a Hibby should be. Thank goodness he's going to a team that will appreciate him.

Best of luck down here SJM.

TheMentalHibees
08-08-2018, 01:14 PM
Spent all summer prepping myself for this moment. It’s no worked [emoji26]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BullsCloseHibs
08-08-2018, 01:16 PM
Absolute class act this boy.

Good luck.

Hibernian Legend.

NAE NOOKIE
08-08-2018, 01:24 PM
This isn't a thread for comparisons …. Hibs have had many very good and some great players. What we are talking about here is a guy we can put in that bracket … and why.

On his own merits as a player, for his impact on this club, and as a man, John McGinn deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as these players. He gave 100% all the time every time. He scored some important goals and was instrumental in many more, he worked his arse off defensively when required. His presence and influence on the park as a driving force was absolutely integral to Hibs going from relegated basket case to a cup winning 4th in the Premiership club, with only Lewis Stevenson being on the same level for commitment and that's no insult to the likes of Martin Boyle for example who is right up there.

What made and makes John McGinn 'super' is his talismanic effect on the team, with him there you always thought Hibs had a chance of winning, you always knew that we would fight to the end ….. that just as much as his ability as a player is what makes him a Hibs great …. his conduct off the park doesn't hurt either, he seems to be a level headed fine young man and a consummate professional. He will be very very difficult to replace, you can buy skill, its a lot harder to buy what SJM has.

I hope and pray he goes to Villa so we can all follow his progress with enthusiasm … you cant but wish him all the success in the world on and off the park and any team he plays for the same … unless its Celtic … I'll still be pleased for him on a personal level, but that'll be the day I want Celtic to win anything.

Super John McGinn … a true Hibs great :not worth

Northernhibee
08-08-2018, 01:28 PM
He’ll be a Premiership winner within five years. Brilliant with so much potential still to be unlocked.

eastterrace
08-08-2018, 01:30 PM
This isn't a thread for comparisons …. Hibs have had many very good and some great players. What we are talking about here is a guy we can put in that bracket … and why.

On his own merits as a player, for his impact on this club, and as a man, John McGinn deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as these players. He gave 100% all the time every time. He scored some important goals and was instrumental in many more, he worked his arse off defensively when required. His presence and influence on the park as a driving force was absolutely integral to Hibs going from relegated basket case to a cup winning 4th in the Premiership club, with only Lewis Stevenson being on the same level for commitment and that's no insult to the likes of Martin Boyle for example who is right up there.

What made and makes John McGinn 'super' is his talismanic effect on the team, with him there you always thought Hibs had a chance of winning, you always knew that we would fight to the end ….. that just as much as his ability as a player is what makes him a Hibs great …. his conduct off the park doesn't hurt either, he seems to be a level headed fine young man and a consummate professional. He will be very very difficult to replace, you can buy skill, its a lot harder to buy what SJM has.

I hope and pray he goes to Villa so we can all follow his progress with enthusiasm … you cant but wish him all the success in the world on and off the park and any team he plays for the same … unless its Celtic … I'll still be pleased for him on a personal level, but that'll be the day I want Celtic to win anything.

Super John McGinn … a true Hibs great :not worth

Brilliant summing up, couldn’t agree more. He is a top man

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
08-08-2018, 01:32 PM
Never been so gutted at the prospect of losing a player.

We’ve always lost our good players. But McGinn has been more than just a player to us. Played as big a part as anyone in reconnecting the fans and the club.

PeeJay
08-08-2018, 01:32 PM
Very sorry to see him go - really decent player, we'll miss his drive and determination - it'll be interesting to see how he does in a tougher competitive environment - good luck to him.

ac1
08-08-2018, 01:34 PM
Was George Best no more interested in sitting in the pub than playing for Hibs? :confused: Granted I was just born but the stories seem to suggest that.

Obviously more ability than McGinn but never in the same league in terms of giving his all for the club I would think.

southsider
08-08-2018, 01:36 PM
John in the Cup DVD "Hertz away. Green Street- laaave it". Brilliant.

BT58
08-08-2018, 01:42 PM
A great player who was the heartbeat of our team, gave his all for the team.
We knew that he and Dylan would be away soon but its very hard too take.
hopefully NL will have replacements waiting to take this team forward
ALL THE BEST JOHN!!!!!!
B

IWasThere2016
08-08-2018, 01:43 PM
All the best Legend McGinn :thumbsup:

My_Wife_Camille
08-08-2018, 03:44 PM
One of the most important players in the clubs history. The name John McGinn more than deserves to mentioned along with the all time greats

Lemonade
08-08-2018, 03:50 PM
Absolute legend who played his part in rejuvenating Hibs.
He'll be welcomed back anytime and he knows it.
You can feel the respect from him regarding Hibs.

Cant speak highly enough of him .
The man is immortal .

Stantons Angel
08-08-2018, 04:09 PM
Ive watched John McGinn grow and blossom into one of the best Scottish players there is.

He has always behaved with dignity on and off the park, been an integral part of our Scottish Cup winning team and gave 100% in each and every game he has played for HIBS.

John will always be remembered by us Hibs supporters for his part in history and we can now sit back and watch what he does in the future.

I really feel so sad that he is going but so relieved too that he will not be plying his trade in Glasgow!

Good luck John and thank you for the many magic memories you have left behind.

The goal celebration over in Athens showed just how much you love our club, it was written all over your smile.

i really hope you go on to bigger and better things and come back and see us as often as you can.

You were just dead brilliant as they say!

Dashing Bob S
08-08-2018, 04:11 PM
Left us as he served us. With class and dignity. So rare these days. Thank you, you absolute legend.

Dashing Bob S
08-08-2018, 04:12 PM
Oops - just saw this thread. Apos admins.

hibee_girl
08-08-2018, 04:14 PM
Oops - just saw this thread. Apos admins.

:aok:

londonhibby
08-08-2018, 04:20 PM
Finally over the line. Shown the smellies how a class act conducts themselves. Great player, huge loss, thanks for the memories SJM.

:thumbsup::flag::flag::thumbsup::not worth:not worth:not worth

Betty Boop
08-08-2018, 04:24 PM
He’ll be a Premiership winner within five years. Brilliant with so much potential still to be unlocked.

Quite a prediction. Are you serious ?

YanYansen
08-08-2018, 04:24 PM

Weir, Rough, Leighton, Best?? LOL - behave yourself.

And as others have said, McGinn's contribution to Hibs eclipses most of them in so many ways outside of pure footballing ability, I think that's why everyone feels so sad. He's literally been instrumental in returning us to our rightful position in Scottish football and the restoring of our dignity as a team, club, and support. Really feel that even if your comment is arguably true, it's a pretty crass contribution.

Now that it looks like it's all over, I'm actually feeling a bit emotional about it, which is sorta ridiculous for a grown man.

But he's been massive for us, and conducted himself impeccably throughout his time here - an absolute credit to the club. Part of me was still holding out a small hope that we would keep him for the season, but it looks like that's about to be extinguished. Cannae believe I'll never see him in our jersey again.

Personally, I would like to see him brought out at HT/FT tomorrow, so we can all give him the ovation he so richly deserves - I feel sure we'd all appreciate that opportunity in light of all he's given us. It feels like a kid growing up and leaving home. The sting will fade, and then we'll all be able to watch proudly as the boy goes to the very top, and hopefully captains Scotland at a major tournament.

Good luck, John, and thanks.

BH Hibs
08-08-2018, 04:25 PM
Thank you Super John McGinn all the very best for the future. Hope to see you gracing the premiership next season and taking Scotland to a major finals. We’ve got McGinn.

vercol36
08-08-2018, 04:25 PM
Stubbs
Logan
Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson
Fyvie
McGeough
McGinn
Stokes
Cummings
Oxley
Henderson
Bartley
Boyle
Keatings
Gunnarsson
Dagnal

Not many left... :boo hoo:

08-08-2018, 04:42 PM
Gutted to see him go but sadly we all knew this time would come at some point and he fully deserves to get his big move. Been an absolute class act both on and off the park. Despite the speculation around him the last few weeks he still gave absolutely everything for us. One of the best players I've seen play for hibs.

John, you have been an absolute pleasure to watch. Thank you for your part to play in the historic 2016 Scottish cup journey and of course for helping us get back up into the PL where we belong. You truly are a hibs legend forever. All the very very best for your future. :flag:

JimBHibees
08-08-2018, 04:44 PM

Fair chance he will be with Villa next season.

Just noticed he said Premier winner I read it as Premier player. Wouldnt have thought so. :greengrin

Northernhibee
08-08-2018, 04:47 PM

Think he could get a bigger move still.

Or he might move to Celtic after all.

ancient hibee
08-08-2018, 04:59 PM
If he turns Villa down because he wants to go to Celtic we should tell him he’ll be with us for the rest of the season.

The Spaceman
08-08-2018, 05:02 PM
John McGinn: Hibernian FC Legend.

Gutted to see him go but what he has achieved in his time with us is remarkable. A true professional who is loved by us and very, very talented. Hope he makes it all the way to the top and look forward to watching his progress.

We've got McGinn, super John McGinn...

The Pointer
08-08-2018, 05:06 PM
I'm just delighted we've d!cked Celtc the way we d!cked the Huns over Allan.

As many agree, two cheeks of the same 0rse and I commend Leeann, and possibly Rod, for their indefatigability. :-)

Brizo
08-08-2018, 05:08 PM
One of our SCF heroes who from day one at ER has conducted himself in an exemplary manner. While some previous players have got their big move through visible discontent or media manipulation SJM has been thoroughly professional, given 100% effort and delivered top drawer performances during a transfer window where he must have faced countless distractions.

Re the legends debate , he is part of that SCF winning team which future generations of Hibbies will be able to instantly name, like the FF and Tornadoes, so in that sense id say definitely a legend.

John , you've been a credit to the Hibs and yourself. All the best in your future career.

Deek9
08-08-2018, 05:21 PM
John, assuming you're away, good luck and best wishes for the future. You're a terrific player and a model pro who deserves to go to the very top. Hibs Scottish Cup winning legend and hope to see you back at Easter Road in the future.

Keith_M
08-08-2018, 05:25 PM
Has he actually left yet?

jockspanner
08-08-2018, 05:29 PM
Thanks John, your attitude to playing football and your all round demeanour reminded me how it used to be, youngsters could learn a lot from you, hopefully you can pass it on in the future, I wish you all the best and hopefully you can pop into Easter Road one day and say hello to your many fans.

banarc7062
08-08-2018, 05:33 PM
People will talk about what he did for us on and off the pitch for years to come. A true ambassador for our club and part of what may well become one of the most important periods in our history.

Thankyou, Super John McGinn. All the best.

My sentiments exactly. All the very best John. Go get em. GGTTH

hibees 7062
08-08-2018, 05:40 PM
https://scontent.fltn2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/38765235_1831871183533991_4568216478330912768_n.jp g?_nc_cat=0&oh=b20fed3f18f4586f349e51fdd1d93e5e&oe=5C11F2DE https://scontent.fltn2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/38683877_1831788143542295_6404225181014818816_n.jp g?_nc_cat=0&oh=fac694b170f06287c820b8332c6243d3&oe=5BCB8873

Diclonius
08-08-2018, 06:11 PM
Stubbs
Logan
Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson
Fyvie
McGeough
McGinn
Stokes
Cummings
Oxley
Henderson
Bartley
Boyle
Keatings
Gunnarsson
Dagnal

Not many left... :boo hoo:

Only four actually played as well.

bodhibs
08-08-2018, 06:35 PM
Good luck and thank you SJM 😥

Celtc 😂

Hibernia&Alba
08-08-2018, 06:38 PM
One of our SCF heroes who from day one at ER has conducted himself in an exemplary manner. While some previous players have got their big move through visible discontent or media manipulation SJM has been thoroughly professional, given 100% effort and delivered top drawer performances during a transfer window where he must have faced countless distractions.

Re the legends debate , he is part of that SCF winning team which future generations of Hibbies will be able to instantly name, like the FF and Tornadoes, so in that sense id say definitely a legend.

John , you've been a credit to the Hibs and yourself. All the best in your future career.

Well said. The best of luck to him; a terrific player and great professional.

Has he actually left yet?

Yes. Sportsound have just confirmed an email has been received from Hibs confirming deal to Villa. Undisclosed fee.

GloryGlory
Thank you Super John McGinn all the very best for the future. Hope to see you gracing the premiership next season and taking Scotland to a major finals. We’ve got McGinn.

:agree: Hope he goes on to be a great success with AV and eventually in the EPL.

Captain Trips
08-08-2018, 06:40 PM
Brilliant to see him try his luck in England and making himself a very rich young man.

If he does not make it down there I will be very surprised.

All the best to you son, you have been an absolute joy to watch.

HibeEC
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just Jimmy
Legend.

I'm gutted. Always knew he'd go but it's heart breaking. wish him nothing but the best in his career. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180808/11df992c09272729e6a382d621636e7b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180808/d6e2d11e32fdebb74c4375f4b2929a7b.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

CLASS OF 72 -73
Quality
Loyalty
Dignity
True Hibs legend
Thank you for everything. If any player deserves the the coming fruits of hard work and class its SJM. GGTTH

sauzee=legend
08-08-2018, 06:41 PM
We had McGinn, super John McGinn!!
Legend and Thank you!
BUT McGinn wearing “maroon” won’t look right!!

hibee_girl
08-08-2018, 06:42 PM
If he doesn’t post an emotional goodbye to us on Twitter and/or instagram soon... :grr: :greengrin

Sir David Gray
08-08-2018, 06:43 PM
That's it confirmed now by Hibs.

Genuinely gutted but I wish the guy all the best. It's been a pleasure to watch him play and develop these past few years.

Thanks for all your hard work John and playing a significant part in restoring some pride back in our club.

Most of all thank you for being a part of 21/05/16. For that day alone you will be forever a part of Hibernian history and you will deservedly go down as one of the club's legends.

Thanks for being part of the best day of my life and I can't wait to see you develop into an even better player as the years go by.

Good luck and farewell.

GGTTH.

WoreTheGreen
Quality
Loyalty
Dignity
True Hibs legend
Thank you for everything. If any player deserves the the coming fruits of hard work and class its SJM. GGTTH

This in spades

weecounty hibby
Even though I knew it was inevitable I've waited till it actually happened before posting on this thread. John, thank you from the bottom of my heart for everything you have done for Hibernian. You are a total professional, great footballer, all-round good guy and I wish you all the best in your future career. I fully expect you to end up at one of the top teams in England at some point. I didn't think I would have felt so sad at a player leaving but you are special and were central to Hibs getting our pride back and of course helped in the Scottish cup win.
You will be forever Super to us. Thank you and good luck😥

Since90+2
Absolute legend. He'll make us even more money when he's sold for 20 million odd next season and we get a sell on fee.

snooky
Well done, John
Good luck with Villa and for the future.
Thanks for all you've done for Hibs & the fans.
Legend. :thumbsup:

Cheshire Hibby
08-08-2018, 06:45 PM
Thank you super John - sorry to see you go but glad you got your move. You will forever be a Hibs legend.
:hibees

Hibernia&Alba
08-08-2018, 06:45 PM
Nice words from Lenny:

“He goes with everyone’s best wishes – he’s been absolutely superb on and off the pitch. He’s a joy to work with and I’ve really enjoyed watching him play. Hibs have been very good for him, and John has been very good for Hibs, and we wish him all the best.”

Tobias Funke
08-08-2018, 06:53 PM
His playing style is unconventional and different but that aside he is an outstanding young footballer and a Hibs legend. There is a John McGinn sized hole in our midfield that’s going to be very difficult to fill. I will miss his skill, desire, tenacity, determination and drive. Not to mention his eye for goal.

Good luck John, you deserve this move and thanks for everything.

ScottB
08-08-2018, 06:54 PM
Goodbye Super John McGinn 😢

Oh Hibs players I’ve seen in my lifetime, he’s up there with big Franck, maybe even all alone at the top. Come back anytime!

West lower
08-08-2018, 06:58 PM
John is one of 5 or six players who helped drag our club fron the depths of despair to where it is now. Won us the holy grail, and has been instrumental in filling Easter road to record levels. He was a joy to watch, and he wore our shirt with pride. His drive and passion was crucial over the last 3 years. He connected the fans and the club again. He has been one of our finest and deserves to be remembered as a proper Hibs legend. I hope he goes on to enjoy a fine career wherever he ends up, with the sincere thanks of a grateful Hibs support . Us being gutted that he is gone says so much about him. He should be proud that we feel this way. I only hope we get a chance to say goodbye properly at Easter road.

RoslinInstHibby
08-08-2018, 07:00 PM
Gutted to see him move on, what a player he has been for the past 3 years .....when will we see a midfield partnership again as good as John & Dylan were for us.....

ScottB
08-08-2018, 07:02 PM
John is one of 5 or six players who helped drag our club fron the depths of despair to where it is now. Won us the holy grail, and has been instrumental in filling Easter road to record levels. He was a joy to watch, and he wore our shirt with pride. His drive and passion was crucial over the last 3 years. He connected the fans and the club again. He has been one of our finest and deserves to be remembered as a proper Hibs legend. I hope he goes on to enjoy a fine career wherever he ends up, with the sincere thanks of a grateful Hibs support . Us being gutted that he is gone says so much about him. He should be proud that we feel this way. I only hope we get a chance to say goodbye properly at Easter road.

This. 100%

rotherhamrob
08-08-2018, 07:02 PM
That's twice now that I've been gutted when a player has left and by a complete coincidence the 1st time was when des bremner left for villa.
Best of luck John, I hope you absolutely smash it.

bigstu
08-08-2018, 07:07 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you

Northernhibee
08-08-2018, 07:13 PM
That first goal in the cup final summed him up. Even though he took a bad touch he went up against two players, fought them off, didn't play for the foul and slipped a dangerous pass to Jase to set up the first goal.

Skill, strength, vision, integrity, leadership.

Hibby Gav
08-08-2018, 07:15 PM
Thank you John ... I wish you al the best... you did everything you could to do the best for us in the 3 years you graced Easter Rd
Sad day but all the best

ggtth

HFC07
08-08-2018, 07:16 PM
What an Absolutle Legend.
All the best SJM.

WhileTheChief..
08-08-2018, 07:16 PM
25secs...

https://youtu.be/OcLhUiYrZhA

Captain Trips
08-08-2018, 07:18 PM
Goodbye Mcginn, Super John Mcginn,

I just don't think you understand.

You helped get us up, and win the Scottish Cup.

Goodbye and good luck John Mcginn.

penihibs
08-08-2018, 07:25 PM
It was a pleasure to watch you John,thanks and good luck.

Northernhibee
08-08-2018, 07:26 PM
When's the last time there's been a thread about a departing player that has been so entirely positive?

G B Young
08-08-2018, 07:29 PM
Sorry to see you go John but best of luck.

Gave his all for Hibs and that won't be forgotten. I'm also delighted he's ended up at a genuinely 'big' English club. A much better move than going to Celtic IMHO.

Well done to Hibs on the way they've handled this saga and ended up with a deal which I am sure has worked out well for everyone concerned.

HibbyDave
Hey John...... missing you already.
Hope everything goes well at Villa.

aljo7-0
Thank you John. All the very best for your future career.