PDA

View Full Version : Hanging out at Hibernian...

Mr_F
06-08-2018, 01:20 PM
This was a great read...

https://thefitbanomad.wordpress.com/2018/08/06/hanging-out-at-hibernian/

:top marks

Lancs Harp
06-08-2018, 01:31 PM
I enjoyed that, nice read.

Joe6-2
06-08-2018, 01:40 PM
I did too, just what we knew all along!

Treadstone
06-08-2018, 01:44 PM
His father confirms yams fans psyche. Hibs haters first hearts fans second.

LichtieHibby
06-08-2018, 01:47 PM
Good read. Thanks for posting.

linlithgowhibbie
06-08-2018, 08:03 PM
He must have been half gassed with all the pre match bevvy, suggested he posts the article on Kickback and see what kind of comments he gets!

Phil MaGlass
06-08-2018, 08:31 PM
Nice wee read, firra jambo.

06-08-2018, 08:42 PM
Great article, thanks for posting it. An unbiased football fan is a very rare breed indeed.

Sammy7nil
06-08-2018, 08:44 PM
A good wee read and puts Hibs in a very good light.

Pagan Hibernia
06-08-2018, 10:48 PM
If we’re completely honest with ourselves, would any of us be able to take a day trip to Tynecastle and be able to write an eloquent, unbiased report?

i mean I know they’ve got a dark brooding dump of a ground compared to our bright fresh open home, and their fans are dour cardigan wearing fannies compared to our sexy fan base, and their team are dull as ditchwater compared to our swashbuckling warrior poets... but surely we could come up with something nice to say?

PatHead
06-08-2018, 10:58 PM
If we’re completely honest with ourselves, would any of us be able to take a day trip to Tynecastle and be able to write an eloquent, unbiased report?

i mean I know they’ve got a dark brooding dump of a ground compared to our bright fresh open home, and their fans are dour cardigan wearing fannies compared to our sexy fan base, and their team are dull as ditchwater compared to our swashbuckling warrior poets... but surely we could come up with something nice to say?
The only nice thing I can think of is that it is easy to get a bus to Leith. Good article by the way.

NAE NOOKIE
06-08-2018, 11:00 PM
If the guy truly is a Jambo that's an incredibly unbiased account. I suppose the truth is that every club has its merits and if you are prepared to look at things subjectively you can come up with stuff like this.

I can only imagine what kickback would think of it :greengrin

The_Horde
06-08-2018, 11:09 PM
What an absolute rugby fan.

G B Young
06-08-2018, 11:31 PM
If the guy truly is a Jambo that's an incredibly unbiased account. I suppose the truth is that every club has its merits and if you are prepared to look at things subjectively you can come up with stuff like this.

I can only imagine what kickback would think of it :greengrin

The thing is, when everything falls into place at Hibs (and at present our stock could hardly be higher) and you get a sunny day at ER with the team in full flow, it really IS worth writing home about. As you say, it's hard to believe they guy ever took his Hearts leanings too seriously, but I honestly don't believe a first-time attendee could experience anything like as uplifting if they spent the afternoon in Gorgie.

monktonharp
07-08-2018, 12:12 AM
What an absolute rugby fan.:faf::faf:

NAE NOOKIE
07-08-2018, 02:22 AM
The thing is, when everything falls into place at Hibs (and at present our stock could hardly be higher) and you get a sunny day at ER with the team in full flow, it really IS worth writing home about. As you say, it's hard to believe they guy ever took his Hearts leanings too seriously, but I honestly don't believe a first-time attendee could experience anything like as uplifting if they spent the afternoon in Gorgie.

I can just imagine.

After trudging around the dismal streets for half an hour I managed to find a pub relatively close to the ground. Pleased to be able to get out of the drizzle and away from the overpowering stench of the brewery I wiped the dog mess from my shoe and entered to be greeted by a rousing chorus of the Billy boys. Thankful that I had chosen to wear my union jack underpants I ordered a drink from the large assortment of real ale, port and gin and sat down. I finished my drink quickly and being careful not to meet anybody's eye headed for the stadium.

The 15 minute walk from the pub to the turnstiles turned into 25 minutes, firstly as I stopped to chat to the guy handing out Britain First leaflets, and then as I realised the crisp modern structure I had arrived at was in fact the local high school … trudging back into McLeod street I headed towards the structure I had initially thought was the high school, an easy mistake to make for first time attenders at Tynecastle.

I have to say that though my seat was a bit wobbly the view of the pitch wasn't bad and I found it quite nice that the directors mingled with the ordinary fans, until that is I was advised that this was through necessity and bad design rather than any club policy of being accessible to the faithful. Chuckling to myself I settled down to watch the game. It didn't take long before Hearts went ahead and I was grateful to the designers of the new stand as I was able to follow the flight of the ball through the Perspex covered roof as it was launched the 65 yards onto the head of their huge target man to knock down for a forward to knock it past the keeper.

The forward who had scored was immediately subbed and his replacement it has to be said had an excellent game playing the holding midfield role just in front of the back six. 1 - 0 to the Jambos then, and so it remained until full time, though I understand their keeper made a couple of excellent saves in the first 15 minutes of the second half as I queued to get into the toilets.

A little disappointed that the game was a bit of a defensive masterclass compared to the buccaneering attacking display I had witnessed at Easter Road a few weeks back I consoled myself with the thought of my first visit to the 'sky view lounge' I had heard so much about and its magnificent views. Though a tad surprised to find it still wasn't ready for customers yet I was grateful to the club official who agreed to take me upstairs for a look. Walking through the doors to be faced by the impressive full length glass wall I let out a gasp ….. after all, though one could perhaps be forgiven for mistaking the local high school for a football stand to mistake it for a castle seemed a bit of a stretch even to me.

Feeling somewhat let down I headed out towards Gorgie Road to catch a bus home, knowing that the sprained ankle I has acquired crossing the uneven blockwork on the strangely named 'foundation plaza' on leaving the stadium meant I wouldn't make my stop on time.

Dinnae care if anybody reads this, I had fun writing it :greengrin

plhibs
07-08-2018, 03:52 AM
Loved that. :flag:

Greentinted
07-08-2018, 04:52 AM
A good read from our perspective, both subjective and objective in its presentation.
But I seem to recall Aiden Smith’s ‘Heartfelt’ - a longer piece with an essentially similar premise but in reverse - not receiving the same level of approval. To be expected I suppose as I suspect this’ll be pilloried over-by.

BullsCloseHibs
07-08-2018, 06:48 AM
Enjoyed that read. Turncoat Jambo 👍😁

NAE NOOKIE
07-08-2018, 10:47 AM
A good read from our perspective, both subjective and objective in its presentation.
But I seem to recall Aiden Smith’s ‘Heartfelt’ - a longer piece with an essentially similar premise but in reverse - not receiving the same level of approval. To be expected I suppose as I suspect this’ll be pilloried over-by.

Yeh, heartfelt good read though it was left a bit of a bitter taste in the end as the author swithered over his loyalties at the end of the book. This guy though not going as far as that, certainly gave us the sort of write up that would infuriate most Jambos, especially in his assessment of us as a support, praising both our friendliness and the atmosphere in the stadium …. it was also interesting that he found the number of female supporters we have noticeable, something I have remarked upon as being a real positive for the club in the last few years.

Greentinted
07-08-2018, 02:27 PM
Yeh, heartfelt good read though it was left a bit of a bitter taste in the end as the author swithered over his loyalties at the end of the book. This guy though not going as far as that, certainly gave us the sort of write up that would infuriate most Jambos, especially in his assessment of us as a support, praising both our friendliness and the atmosphere in the stadium …. it was also interesting that he found the number of female supporters we have noticeable, something I have remarked upon as being a real positive for the club in the last few years.

Aye, I remember reading Heartfelt and found it interesting but perhaps a bit gimmicky. At the time I worked with both Hibs and Hearts (and other clubs) and pre-Romanov never had a problem with Hearts other than as footballing rivals. As a youngster I went to both week about (Mum wouldn’t let me travel) but my allegiance was never in doubt - not so much, as you observe, with Smith.
Even now though, I’d like to think that I can watch our neighbours (on the pitch...off-field it’s a bit of a circus) and be objective - and that’s why I, and many other Hibbies, know the big team nonsense is just a silly wind-up with no basis in reality. We’re pretty much the same size when all said and done.
My only gripe is that both clubs still have potential for growth if it wasn’t for a lot of blinkered OF centric favouritism still seen in our city.

Famous Fiver
07-08-2018, 03:42 PM
I once took a day trip to Tynecastle.

One of my best footballing memories.

Heart of Midlothian 0 Kilmarnock 2. Killie won the league that day, pipping Hearts on goal average.

Enjoyed the whole experience from start to finish.

What a day!!!

lyonhibs
07-08-2018, 04:43 PM
What an absolute rugby fan.

Roughly what I thought too. Nice to read some positive stuff about Hibs of course, but I'd prefer football fans were passionate about 1 club and stick to that instead of doing "exposés" of that it's like to go to the other side. Load of manufactured pish IMO