PDA

View Full Version : FAO Frank / Tracey - Russian Visas

Jamesie
06-08-2018, 01:04 PM
While I am in danger of getting ahead of myself, I am conscious from past experience that a Russian visa application can be a laborious exercise. From the application process set out at http://ru.vfsglobal.co.uk/, which I understand to be the official Russian Government channel for visa applications, it seems to me that a Single Entry Urgent visa will cost £186.50 and take 1-3 working days to process.

For those fans thinking of travelling but not wishing to book up until the close of what are hopefully successful proceedings in Molde, that leaves a very short window to apply and have a visa returned.

I wonder if Frank and Tracey can touch base with VFS Global's Edinburgh office at 64 Albion Road to see if any arrangement can be put in place whereby those timescales can be guaranteed or if some other football related arrangement can be put in place if required? Celtic have visited St Petersburg recently - if I have time later on I'll have a look to see if they managed to achieve any dispensation that could be used as a precedent here.

Cheers

Jamesie

MartinfaePorty
06-08-2018, 01:07 PM
While I am in danger of getting ahead of myself, I am conscious from past experience that a Russian visa application can be a laborious exercise. From the application process set out at http://ru.vfsglobal.co.uk/, which I understand to be the official Russian Government channel for visa applications, it seems to me that a Single Entry Urgent visa will cost £186.50 and take 1-3 working days to process.

For those fans thinking of travelling but not wishing to book up until the close of what are hopefully successful proceedings in Molde, that leaves a very short window to apply and have a visa returned.

I wonder if Frank and Tracey can touch base with VFS Global's Edinburgh office at 64 Albion Road to see if any arrangement can be put in place whereby those timescales can be guaranteed or if some other football related arrangement can be put in place if required? Celtic have visited St Petersburg recently - if I have time later on I'll have a look to see if they managed to achieve any dispensation that could be used as a precedent here.

Cheers

Jamesie

You would like to think that there must be some sort of arrangement in this circumstance. It's not as if it doesn't happen every year for all sorts of clubs/countries.

Lancs Harp
06-08-2018, 01:08 PM
I know England fans travelling to Russia for the World Cup could pay for an express service that provided a visa in as short a notice as 24 hours. That could have been a one off special for the world cup of course but many teams must have had this experience, I'd be surprised if there wasnt a quick way to do this.

Jamesie
06-08-2018, 01:09 PM
I know England fans travelling to Russia for the World Cup could pay for an express service that provided a visa in as short a notice as 24 hours. That could have been a one off special for the world cup of course but many teams must have had this experience, I'd be surprised if there wasnt a quick way to do this.

I believe that having a valid ticket to a match operated as a short term visa for the World Cup - not sure if that is extended to Europa League though. From memory, a similar arrangement was in place for the Champions League Final between Chelsea and Manchester United in Moscow.

MartinfaePorty
06-08-2018, 01:12 PM
From the BBC, regarding the arrangements for the World Cup

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44332038

Lancs Harp
06-08-2018, 01:12 PM
I believe that having a valid ticket to a match operated as a short term visa for the World Cup - not sure if that is extended to Europa League though. From memory, a similar arrangement was in place for the Champions League Final between Chelsea and Manchester United in Moscow.

That may well have been true but there was also a fast track visa in place for fans travelling out there and picking tickets up in Russia. I personally know four lads that did this for the England Sweden game.

MartinfaePorty
06-08-2018, 01:18 PM
Here's what the STV website had to say in 2017 when Celtc were drawn against them

Is a visa needed?
Under normal circumstances, yes.

You can visit St Petersburg without one for up to 72 hours if you're a visitor on a cruise or ferry because it comes under the blanket visa.

But let's be honest, the chances of you wanting to do that in February, in that part of the world, are slim.

If Celtic are able to organise something similar, or you book through a travel agency, then fans won't have to go through the process themselves. Otherwise they will have to apply the normal way.

You need to apply online and then visit a visa centre in person, in either Edinburgh, Manchester or London, because they will take your fingerprint. This has been in place for three years now.

Make sure you have at least six months on your passport, opt for the single entry tourist visa and don't even think about trying to go via Belarus. It's not going to happen.

You get up to 30 days and it will cost you around £120, which is broken down by the via processing fee, service charge, letter of invitation (normally from your accommodation) and passport return.

It takes around five working days to process.

Jamesie
06-08-2018, 01:23 PM
Here's what the STV website had to say in 2017 when Celtc were drawn against them

Is a visa needed?

You can visit St Petersburg without one for up to 72 hours if you're a visitor on a cruise or ferry because it comes under the blanket visa.

But let's be honest, the chances of you wanting to do that in February, in that part of the world, are slim.

If Celtic are able to organise something similar, or you book through a travel agency, then fans won't have to go through the process themselves. Otherwise they will have to apply the normal way.

You need to apply online and then visit a visa centre in person, in either Edinburgh, Manchester or London, because they will take your fingerprint. This has been in place for three years now.

Make sure you have at least six months on your passport, opt for the single entry tourist visa and don't even think about trying to go via Belarus. It's not going to happen.

You get up to 30 days and it will cost you around £120, which is broken down by the via processing fee, service charge, letter of invitation (normally from your accommodation) and passport return.

I had a look at the ferry option from Helsinki but you are looking at £200 - £250 return and the times are pretty inconvenient.

nonshinyfinish
06-08-2018, 01:24 PM
Might there be greater visa difficulties if we were to end up playing in Minsk?

Jamesie
06-08-2018, 01:25 PM
Might there be greater visa difficulties if we were to end up playing in Minsk?

Not any more: for the past few months if you fly into Minsk International Airport you get a 30 day tourist visa free of charge. This isn't applicable to entering overland though so a visa is still required to enter from Lithuania etc, which I know a few of us have done in the past. Bookies have Minsk at 9/1 to qualify BTW.

MartinfaePorty
06-08-2018, 01:26 PM
Last bit from me on St Petersburg. Looks like no special arrangement for these matches, but visas expected to be issued within 5 days, although you need to have your accommodation sorted before you can apply. Celtc did do a limited number of places on their official charter for £369, exc. ticket and visa.

Centre Hawf
06-08-2018, 01:27 PM

Is a visa needed?

At the risk of derailing the thread, anyone know why this is?

CropleyWasGod
06-08-2018, 01:30 PM

Maybe different rules then.

This is the FCO's current advice. No visa needed:-

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/belarus/entry-requirements

However, you do need one if you're going from Russia to Belarus. Not sure why that would have been relavant.

MartinfaePorty
06-08-2018, 01:31 PM

From UK Gov site on Belarus

All British national passport holders (except those entering on a diplomatic or official passport) can now enter Belarus for a maximum of 30 days without a visa (the day you arrive counts as day one, regardless of arrival time). Entry and exit will only be allowed at Minsk International Airport and you’ll need to show documentary evidence of medical insurance to the value of 10,000 euros and funds equivalent to 25 euros per day. This can be in the form of cash, credit card or travellers cheques in any currency.

If you’re travelling immediately from/to a Russian airport or entering Belarus at any other border point other than Minsk International Airport, this visa-free arrangement doesn’t apply and you’ll need a visa. A maximum of 90 days stay in one calendar year is permitted. You can find more information at the website of the Belarus embassy.

Travelling between Russia and Belarus
The Russian government has informed the UK government that there are no legal grounds for foreigners (including British nationals) to cross the Russia-Belarus state border. If you’re planning on entering Russia by road, you’ll need to take an alternative route through a different country. Please note that plans to extend the FAN ID scheme in Russia throughout 2018 will not apply to Belarus.

If you’re planning on travelling by rail between the two countries, you should contact your train or tour operator to seek their advice. You should also consider contacting your nearest Russian Embassy for advice on the latest situation for rail travellers.

The UK government isn’t aware of any difficulties for British nationals when travelling by air between the 2 countries, however, you should ensure that you receive an exit stamp in your passport when you leave the Republic of Belarus. If you don’t you will be denied entry on your next visit. Make sure you have all the necessary visas for the duration of your travel to Russia. You can find more information on the Russian Embassy website.

Galahibby
06-08-2018, 01:32 PM
I'm pretty sure a mate from work went in and got one pretty much there and then for the Celtic game. He made a point of telling me as it must be near ER. I will check...

green&left
06-08-2018, 01:57 PM
I'm pretty sure a mate from work went in and got one pretty much there and then for the Celtic game. He made a point of telling me as it must be near ER. I will check...

A Celtic fan I know at work, their CSC took a mini bus through to do their Visas. Similarly he made a point of telling me because it was just behind the stadium, so handy enough...

In London for the away league for a long weekend. £283 return business class with Lufthansa from Heathrow could be tempting :duck::greengrin

james62
06-08-2018, 03:16 PM
Did Celtic not know about 2 months beforehand that they were playing Zenit in February? We'll have 7 days.

davemcbain
06-08-2018, 04:16 PM
Used to organise a lot of travel for work - Russian visa process was painless - usually work rather than tourist, but process and timings will only be better for tourist visas.

Apply online, print off and pop in to the visa centre - they compare to the online one and a couple of days later go back to pick it up. Had a member of staff forget to apply and was able to get one within 24 hours - really easy to deal with vfs.

From bitter experience would be more worried for those with non-European passports - which can take much longer.

poulton hibs
06-08-2018, 04:25 PM
Fan ID entry was extended to the end of the year so if yiou were at the world cup you dont need a visa.
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/russia-visa-free-travel-2018-putin-world-cup-fan-id-a8449181.html

JeMeSouviens
06-08-2018, 04:40 PM
Visa details are here. You can get an expedited one in 1-2 days.

https://russiable.co.uk/getting-russian-visa-united-kingdom/

Phil MaGlass
06-08-2018, 05:46 PM
IF we go through maybe the club could put up a big screen at ER for the fans to watch. Extra revenue and all that.

traceyhibs
06-08-2018, 06:18 PM

Cheers

Jamesie

Hi Jamesie,

We have started looking into this and will come back to you once we’ve got a response.

Thanks

Tracey and Frank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk